Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros
KroMagnon

Tennessee

2.83/5  rDev +38.7%

The beer is very clear and the color is pale gold or yellow, so this isn't much more select than the usual macro. The aroma of Bud always seemed a little green apple like to me but I don't get that in this beer - maybe they used a different yeast? I DO pick up a tad more graininess than the usual Bud but not by much. Overall the beer is very crisp and clean, with a faint hint of bitterness. It seems to be more dry than the Bud or Bud Light (I should do them side-by-side but maybe next time if there is one.)

For the BJCP style American lager, I think this is about as good as it gets other than maybe that all-malt version of Michelob. I think this would get a 4.5 / 5 in that regard.

For the BA score, if I graded it according to style I'd call it at least a 4.0. I think I'd end up giving it a 2.5 or so, but for the style its pretty good.

09-14-2005 01:17:06 | More by KroMagnon
Bumpon10s

1.73/5  rDev -15.2%

I had a 24 oz. can of this poured into a plastic cup at Busch Stadium in St. Loius, only $7.75 for this, what a deal....

A - Clear, straw yellow, poured with a big head that fell near instantly.

S - A little alcohol, and some corn?

T - For only about 4% ABV, you can taste it. But then like their ad's state the aftertaste disapears.

M - Lot's of continuing carbonation, problem is, it gives you "bad beer face", and stings your mouth.

D - I suppose you could put down quite a few because of the low alcohol and little taste. A god beer for a frat party, thats about it.

09-07-2005 23:24:06 | More by Bumpon10s
pezoids

3.1/5  rDev +52%

A bit of a pleasant surprise here. Surprised because I actually didn’t despise this. The color of this was like golden straw. Fizzy and sporadic carbonation with a fizzy head. The aroma has some soft lemony graininess, with just a touch of cooked cabbage hoppiness. The taste is very clean and finishes with a subtle and pleasant graininess. Overall, I believe this is a much smoother than regular Bud. Cleaner and less harsh. I really have not much negative to say about it. Clean and simple, and maybe what regular Bud should really be.

09-01-2005 21:59:01 | More by pezoids
kbnooshay

2.45/5  rDev +20.1%

Allright this is bad but really i don't see it that much worse than regular bud. Looks similar to but and there is no real smell besides the macro chemical norm. The taste is similar to bud also but do i maybe detect some fruityness? Not enough to save it. It still sucks. Watery mouthfeel. Drinkablity is allright but i don't know why you would want to so it is irrelevant.

08-28-2005 22:23:58 | More by kbnooshay
lackenhauser

Maryland

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

Ok as an avid Bud fan I felt I owed it to the people (whoever they are) to review this one. Pours a pale golden color with a big head that rapidly receedes. Other then that it looks totally FLAT. No bubbles rising or anything. Aroma-what aroma? Nowhere to be found. Flavor is best described as if Rainman was describing it-"wet,very wet". Other then that-nothing. Fair mouthfeel-thin but theres something there. Overall-forget it. Im a big believer in a place and time for everything but this is sad. Has to be the worst lite beer I have ever tried or been offered.

08-07-2005 23:47:44 | More by lackenhauser
PBRstreetgang

2.48/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours clear yellow with two finger head. Low head retention, high lacing. very faint adjunct smell, grain and rice most likely. what differentiates this from regular Budweiser is it's lack of aftertaste, which is a good thing considering the poor flavor. It does however live up to the, "Crisp with a clean finish" claim; while sacrificing any note of real beer flavor.

08-04-2005 05:13:29 | More by PBRstreetgang
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

I want to give a chance to everyone (even if I expect it would be sh*t.) So, today, here's my Bud Select review.

Apperance: A pale straw yellow colour with an average white head.

Smell: It develops a heavy adjunct aroma like the standard Bud. Not much good to say about it.

Taste: It tastes almost exactly like a regular Bud. Yikes. Also, it got an awful aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It feels like a watered down macro with a high carbonation. Really not wonderful.

Drinkability: The good news: At least, it got lower contents in carbs and calories. Also, the label is not that bad. Otherwise, the name tells you all and you knows what to do if what to drink higher quality beer: avoid it.

07-31-2005 18:51:27 | More by Barraclou
granger10

Wisconsin

1.53/5  rDev -25%

In my quest for good beer this has got to be one of the worst. Got a 24 pack for the family (along with some Oberon, Full Circle, and Red's Rye). I decided to drink a leftover and give this beer a chance. Pours a very light watery pale golden color. Nice head forms and decent retention. Lots of bubbles along the side of the glass and rising to the top. Smell is mildly grainy in an artificial adjunct sort of way. Taste is almost nothing. This beer is so dry and watery that I can discern almost no flavor. Slightly sweet grain at the initial sip but it goes away right away. Not even refreshing. This beer is worthless.

07-28-2005 22:33:23 | More by granger10
BEERchitect

Kentucky

1.73/5  rDev -15.2%

On the bright side, I've had worse...yea really. Looks poorly yellow and clear with high carbonation, the same head you get from a diet sprite, and no lacing at all. Smells like spoiled water (is that even possible?) Grainy, vegetive, sour, and almost no sweetness. Tastes more grainy, corn-like (among other cerial grains), sharp and metalic. Body is watery and over carbonated. Finishes crisp and a bit scrubbed. Aftertaste is non existant. Basically a waste of grains, hops, water, and yeast.

07-22-2005 13:57:38 | More by BEERchitect
ryantupy

1.25/5  rDev -38.7%

I cannot believe my buddy even bought this stuff! I mean he is a little over weight but not that overweight that he needed to make us suffer through this crap. It poured a pale yellowish color with nice clarity. It smelled of nothing maybe a little bit of grain. It is overly dry causing a cottonmouth feel. Besides being dry it has this crispy bite to it that is most umpleasant. Gross gross gross.

07-21-2005 23:58:58 | More by ryantupy
Backer2004

2.45/5  rDev +20.1%

Regardless if this is from Anheuser-Busch or not, it's below average, that's all. No real lacing, lots of carbonations, ver pale straw colored. Slight corn/rice taste, but nearly as overwhelmingly bad as cheap Macros (Milwaukee's best, etc.). Easy enough to drink. Not horrible, but would not have gotten this if a.) it wasn't $1.50 and b.) it wasn't a requirement to finish a beer club at the local pub.

07-13-2005 03:16:44 | More by Backer2004
horndecker

1.3/5  rDev -36.3%

I'm trying to be objective. I expected this to be just a bit better than awful, since I despise regular Bud, and this is meant to be a "special" Bud. I was offered this at a bbq recently, and, since there was nothing else to drink, not even water, I decided to taste it. But honestly I could find nothing about this beer to distinguish it from it's ubiquitous brother. Admittiedly it's been a long time since I've had a Bud.

It's paler than straw, faintly golden and clear. A bright white coarse head flares up and fizzes away after a bit. At first I can't smell anything. Then a weak whiff of sour grain. Not a hop to be smelt anywhere.

The taste would be refreshing if the beer was so cold that it actually numbed your tongue. As it is, what flavor there is, is subtle, grainy, a little lemony, a bit of spritz from some leftover carbonation, and you're done. Aftertaste is sweet and sickening. Malt? no. Barley? where? Hops? Hah!

I really can't say enough bad things about this "select" beer. Managed to down half the bottle for educational purposes.

07-05-2005 17:54:17 | More by horndecker
tgbljb

2.85/5  rDev +39.7%

poured a pale yellow color with white puffy head. Smell is not much to talk about, maybe a slight scent of grain. Taste is slightly sweet with no trace of hops or malt. mouthfeel is refreshing, just as a glass of water might be. I tried this after a regular budweiser and had trouble telling the difference.

07-01-2005 00:06:23 | More by tgbljb
OldFrothingSlosh

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%

Despite my usually good sense of judgement, the post-D-league softball consumption of this "beer" still occurred. I intend to atone for my transgressions by drinking something good tonight. But when the choices were Bud "Select" and IC Light, you can understand the predicament in which I founf myself.

Color is that of extremely diluted urine: barely any color and clear. Only a barely noted fizzy white head is seen. Aromas, again, are brealy noted. Is that some corny-husky scent I detect? Flavor is like fizzy water. It amazes me that people actually find this to be a beer they WANT to drink. The fizz overpowers anything in the way of "flavor". Some grain-like flavor. Husky. Finishes without a trace of any aftertaste whatsoever. It's like it evaporates on the palate. Mouthfeel is laughable. Not drinkable, to say the least.

06-27-2005 11:45:42 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
GClarkage

1.73/5  rDev -15.2%

06/19/05- Had in Montana as a true "lawnmower beer".

Presnetation- 12oz bottle with born on date on the back label. Poured into a pilsner style glass.

Appearance- Light yellow fizzy liquid. Small head at first, gone in a second. No lacing at all.

Smell- Some grain, which did not smell good.

Taste- Very clean and crisp. Not much flavor at all. Almost like carbonated water with a touch of grain thrown in. What taste there is isn't good.

Mouthfeel- Carbonated water mouthfeel. Seltzer at best.

Drinkability- Had to mow a decent size lawn this morning, and figured with all this talk about lawnmower beers, I would give this one a try, just to quench my thirst. Lord knows you can't get Prima Pils in Montana. Ended up pouring out about a 1/3 of it and just having water instead. So, when you have to resort to water....sulfer flavored water, instead of any kind of beer....enough said. Avoid

06-19-2005 23:10:24 | More by GClarkage
budgood1

1.55/5  rDev -24%

pours out a transparent straw yellow colour with a thin foamy head...lots of carbonation. light adjuncty aroma...almost a bit fruity and reminding me of the banana smell of keystone. yikes! how horrific. upon tasting...i'd say this is a clone of mich ultra with a slightly nicer mouthfeel. weak, watery, and without ANY redeeming qualities. finishes with a ....um....uh...with nothing!

oh, the humanity! how a respected brewer can strip everything from a light lager beer and market it to be trendy and health concious is beyond me. the fact that A-B brewed up another concoction to compete with mich ultra and others of the low calorie and low carb ilk is insane. and i like budweiser...i really do....

anyway....this carbonated water sponsored by budweiser and bud light is a spritzy, light and lighter attempt to make a buck or two or three in the low carb beer market. shameful at best and just plain horrible at worst.

did i mention that i actually like budweiser?

06-16-2005 00:19:53 | More by budgood1
mmmbeer

1.48/5  rDev -27.5%

22 oz., "born on" 4/6/05 - figured I was gonna try it one time or another. Served chilled in a nonic. The head is the only thing that looks ok. It's 2 fingers and has decent pits as is recedes, leaving more lacing than I usually see from AB beers. Corn, metal, and other adjunct scents in the nose. On the palate: carbonation. That's it. They've finally figured a way to filter all the flavor out of their beer - it wasn't until near the end of the bomber that hints of corn appeared. Mouthfeel is tingly and very light. I'm staying away from this one in the future.

06-12-2005 01:37:12 | More by mmmbeer
packetknife

Idaho

2.4/5  rDev +17.6%

These are the type of beers that confuse me. They're almost fitness drinks and they drink as easy as tap water. It's as close to the original, Budweiser, as any light or ultra-light I've had. It seems to be server near-freezing as to numb your tongue and senses. I'm surprised it's 4.3 because I was pretty sure it was no more than 3.4. I'll be darned if they're willing to waste a glass on it, bottle only. It's a good beer to have with nachos & jalepenos but that's about it.

05-30-2005 17:38:14 | More by packetknife
baiser

1.45/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours piss yellow, with a thin white cap. Grainy aroma, watery taste. Crisp and light, sharp mouthfeel. Hard to believe how flavourless beer can get. Only drank it because it was free and was eating crappy burgers. I've had better light beers with more flavour profile. This one truly sucks.

05-23-2005 07:58:03 | More by baiser
KoG

Nevada

1.85/5  rDev -9.3%

I figured, why not, and I was very low on cash. The 24 oz can pours the lightest yellow color I have seen. The head is foamy white with absolutely no lacing... what did i get myself into.

Smell is a bit grainy, very light and watered down. Not looking good.

Taste is clean, no hoppy flavor and no malt anywhere in sight but the lack of a horrid aftertaste bumps it up a bit. Slight grain flavor, seems like a very watered down OE 800.

Drinkable if you want something fast to get your thirst on a hot day, but many many better options. This is too pricey to be a super cheap swill, but has less flavor (a good and a bad thing).

05-21-2005 21:56:24 | More by KoG
FLAbeergutinMASS

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

Objectiveness right?- as much as I can. I like Bud and Bud light but this is terrible. Very watered down, quite frankly this beer does not have enough of anything that would remotely give off any indelible characteristic. Unfortunaley I purchased a six pack and have lost out on a couple of bucks.

05-10-2005 02:44:49 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
Noelito76

2.65/5  rDev +29.9%

I decided to try this the other day just for the sake of knowing what AB considers 'select'. I found myself asking what is the big deal. The carbonation is a bit much and the color really light, like your urine after a few regular buds. There was a hint of the hops, but the carbonation overwhelmes them. My first and last.

05-06-2005 18:25:29 | More by Noelito76
merlin48

Kentucky

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz bottle that I picked up while looking for a PBR. Attractive packaging is the highlight here, as the label has some eyecatching appeal and the cap reminds me of a Rogue bottlecap. "Born on date" assures me that I'm drinking me a very fresh beer. Those are the highlights.

Appearance: Pours ot of the bottle into a pils glass an almost colorless liquid, but the glass reveals a clear, very pale, straw yellow body with a one finger tall, white head that fades away in seconds. A couple of flecks of lace are left on the glass.

Aroma: Very subdued, with vague hints of grain and spicy/herbal hop. Nothing skunky here, essentially nothing at all.

Mouthfeel: Very watery and light bodied with high carbonation.

Taste: Crisp carbonation, with a hint of adjunct malt sweetness and faint bittering and aromatic hops. Clean and crisp, with no offnotes. A suggestion of corn syrup emerges as it warms, so if you're going to drink this drink it cold.

Drinkability: This is a standard, American macro light lager that has little to offer a serious beerdrinker. Crisp and refreshing, with no offnotes, but very bland and watery. A decent fizzy light yellow beer that is brewed for the masses who are not seeking any nuances or complexity. Easy to quaff, but so is soda water.

05-04-2005 22:38:11 | More by merlin48
Gagnonsux

2.4/5  rDev +17.6%

Purchased at a gas station on a lark in a 24 oz. can. The color is pale yellow, head is just a tiny layer of foam. The aroma is a typical macro beer light sweetness. Nothing special going on with the taste either, just light malts and adjunct sweetness with a very clean finish. I guess drinkability is okay, this doesn't have any off-tastes and is refreshing enough. I wonder, with Bud Light already on the market was there really any reason to release Bud Select.

05-03-2005 17:55:18 | More by Gagnonsux
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

This was a urine-yellow fizzy brew with a fast-dissipating, pure white one finger head. Not promising, but then again, what did I expect?

The aroma was not skunky, which surprised me. Better than most macro swill. Some grains, and a bit of aromatic hops. Could there be real beer ingredients in here?

Don't think so. The taste was indeed crisp, clean, and well carbonated... just like club soda. No malt character at all, and a very slight touch of hop bte that you had to go looking for. Won't give it a 1.0, because it wasn't an awful taste.. it was ABSENCE of taste.

Mouthfeel... well, watery, and fizzy, as expected. Not too bad considering what it was, but nowhere near a real beer.

Drinkability? I'd rather go for a real club soda. Even if I were really pining for a beer, this wouldn't do it. But again, not totally awful.

04-30-2005 04:52:22 | More by connecticutpoet