Budweiser Select - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-13-2004

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Select Alström Bros
Reviews: 392 | Hads: 1,191
1.53/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

please dont buy me another one of these. i will have to be rude and leave it sitting on the bar untouched.

this is an even poorer example of beer. very light gold color with some fizz. lil head. bland smell. very bland taste.

honestly i cant drink this stuff. sure if it were a hundred degrees out and this was 36 degrees and free then i would.

not a good choice on any front other than that.

giblet (414 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -29.4%

Presentation: A 12 oz brown bottle with a “Born On Date”

Appearance: An extremely pale straw yellow with amazing clarity. Head disappears leaving a thin ugly lace.

Smell: A tiny smell of corn and grain but not much here at all.

Taste: I just don’t understand why some would drink this almost tasteless piece of crap. There is a little grain/corn taste to it but other than that there is not much going on here in this department.

Mouth-Feel: A very crisp very light beer with an extremely dry mouth-feel.

Drink-Ability: Like I said this beer tastes like crap! I tried to be fair but there is just to much lacking here to drink. If I am going to drink a Macro then this will definitely not be the one, stick to something with flavor. (751 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -28.9%

Brought to me in a pint glass. This beer had the apperance of urine if you were dehydrated. Very little head, but hints of retention, its only redeeming quality. The taste was as advertised... "clean" yes so clean that it's hardly there. The mouthfeel was very weak, incredibly watery with a slight burn of carbonation on the finish. Never again. (346 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

pours out a transparent straw yellow colour with a thin foamy head...lots of carbonation. light adjuncty aroma...almost a bit fruity and reminding me of the banana smell of keystone. yikes! how horrific. upon tasting...i'd say this is a clone of mich ultra with a slightly nicer mouthfeel. weak, watery, and without ANY redeeming qualities. finishes with a ....um....uh...with nothing!

oh, the humanity! how a respected brewer can strip everything from a light lager beer and market it to be trendy and health concious is beyond me. the fact that A-B brewed up another concoction to compete with mich ultra and others of the low calorie and low carb ilk is insane. and i like budweiser...i really do....

anyway....this carbonated water sponsored by budweiser and bud light is a spritzy, light and lighter attempt to make a buck or two or three in the low carb beer market. shameful at best and just plain horrible at worst.

did i mention that i actually like budweiser? (979 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -28%

Meh. Meh meh meh. Meh? Meh. Meeeh... meh. Mehmehmehmehmehmehmehmehmehmehmeh. Meeehhh. Meh, meh meh meh meh. MEH! Meh? Meh. Actually scratch that never mind this beer sucks pretty hard. No meh about it. Can looks cool though, especially when you shake it up and shoot it with a pellet gun. (288 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -27.5%

12 oz. can with "born on" date.

Poured a very light straw, clear, with a small white foam.

Smell was faint, but comprised mostly of a strange sweetness from the malts, comparable with bubble gum.

Taste is hard to grab a hold of, since this beer goes dry and disappears as soon as it hits the back of your mouth. Hops are probably used, but it's hard to tell. Malt is used, and it has a funky veggie wang. Pretty heavy on the CO2.

What the hell? Are they trying to make the most bland beer? One step away from mineral water, but not as tasty. (553 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance is medium-yellow with a passable head of average longevity.

Aroma: very faint grain and nothing more.

Taste: The label claims this is "distinct and flavorful beer with a bold taste that finishes clean". It would be hard to claim something further from the truth, except perhaps the clean part.

This literally tastes like nothing. It's not a watery, adjunct-tasting bad beer, it is the complete devolution of beer. Mildly alcoholic carbonated water. Zero malt. Zero hops.

I want to give this all ones for being such an abomination, yet it does have an average appearance and is easily drinkable, although not enjoyable.

I would *love* to swap some Arrogant Bastard into these bottles and unleash them on unsuspecting bar patrons. They would probably burst into fire. (792 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -25.2%

Well, I gotta say that this was easy drinking. Taste, flavor didn't make much of an appearance, so it was like fizzy water.

And that's what it looks like. Pale yellow with a huge head. Looks light...like water. Water is a good refresher.

Aroma? Not much. What I do pick out is stale straw and socks.

Fizzy feel to it. Taste is watered down Bud. Grainy and musty. Not sure why anyone would drink this. If you want low calories, hit the ice water. (449 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -24.8%

I got a FREE sample of this at my local bar. The Budweiser Select girls were there and everything. They poured a small cup of it for me and I sat down with 2 of my friends. We had already been drinking beforehand, mind you. We each take a drink at the same time, and each of us had the same face...disgusting! Granted it is a "smooth" beer, but there was absolutely NO flavor whatsoever and the taste was not good at all. Two of us shoveled the rest of our cups off to our other friend because he will drink anything ;-)

I certainly do not recommend this beer at all. (568 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

Once again with the macros.

This is a bad attempt for budweiser to redeem themselves for the original budweiser.

It's straw colored yellow, the smeel isn't noteworthy, and the taste is severly lacking.

I would only reccomend drining if there was nothing else to drink.

Lots of people buy it so somebody likes it, whether it be marketing or opinion...probally marketing. (381 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

Ahh, yet another failed attempt at beer by Anheuser Busch.

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a very fizzy head that dies quickly.

S - Slight smell of hops, but not very dominant. Stale aroma as well.

T - Carbonated water with a hint of beer (I suppose this is what low carb means)

M - Very high carbonation factor, lingering even after you've swallowed. Very light lager with no density.

D - You could drink an entire case of these if they didnt have alcohol in them. This brew goes down very easily but I just cant get past the taste and aftertaste.

I would not recommend this beer for a light lager. (619 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

well, the marketing campaign works wonders for me to even be holding this beer right now.

clear, easy yellow, no substance. slight fizzy head goes down quick.

adjuct city on the smell. sour and grainy.

corn, wheat, yeast, and sugar on the flavor. no substance or aftertaste that doesn't resemble sour well water. a little rusty, even.

fizzy, light, easy to swallow texture.

well, it is not as good as other light beers. so therefore, why would I prefer to drink this over other at least passable options? (509 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

Not much different than Mich Ultra. Very low low on taste.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, basically just a clear refresher

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days. (331 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle that I picked up while looking for a PBR. Attractive packaging is the highlight here, as the label has some eyecatching appeal and the cap reminds me of a Rogue bottlecap. "Born on date" assures me that I'm drinking me a very fresh beer. Those are the highlights.

Appearance: Pours ot of the bottle into a pils glass an almost colorless liquid, but the glass reveals a clear, very pale, straw yellow body with a one finger tall, white head that fades away in seconds. A couple of flecks of lace are left on the glass.

Aroma: Very subdued, with vague hints of grain and spicy/herbal hop. Nothing skunky here, essentially nothing at all.

Mouthfeel: Very watery and light bodied with high carbonation.

Taste: Crisp carbonation, with a hint of adjunct malt sweetness and faint bittering and aromatic hops. Clean and crisp, with no offnotes. A suggestion of corn syrup emerges as it warms, so if you're going to drink this drink it cold.

Drinkability: This is a standard, American macro light lager that has little to offer a serious beerdrinker. Crisp and refreshing, with no offnotes, but very bland and watery. A decent fizzy light yellow beer that is brewed for the masses who are not seeking any nuances or complexity. Easy to quaff, but so is soda water. (1,285 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - Corny clear yellow. Icky. Small bright white head, disappeared within about 15-20 seconds.

S - Like most poor domestic macrobrews. Corn, cereal, and water.

T - Like cereal-corn water. Reminds me alot of Bud-Light.

M - Feels like soda-water in my mouth, very light and carbonated.

D - Bad. For folks that are into Bud Light and other popular Macro-lagers I must say that the taste isn't far off, so I suppose it's a good "low-cal" option for them. For me? I won't drink it again. (486 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -23.9%

Holy crap! I was trapped at a family outing, and a few bottles of Budweiser Select had been left in the fridge from the previous fall (so age could possibly be an issue).

I try to be fair, I appreciate what macro lagers are, but this is just crap, plain and simple. Again, I might have had a bad bottle, but if this is what it's supposed to taste like, I can't imagine even the lowest of common denominators thinking this is acceptable, much less "select".

Once of the worst I've had thus far. (495 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -23.9%

Typical yellow straw color of a macro lager
Smell is of harsh grains and metal
Taste is just as bad as the smell, just plain bad. The taste is a mixture of sweetness and chemical-like astringency, with a little bit of grainyness in there.
MF- Harsh and extremely carbonated
Easy to put down, but for what reason? This beer is really bad, worse than anything else I've had from Budweiser. It has nothing to offer other than reduced calories in a beer that tastes like a bud-light gone wrong. (491 characters)

consumed 03-29-2009, 12oz can into pint glass

appearance: pours a light straw color with little to no head and no lacing.

smell: maybe a hint of grain? not much aroma.

taste: somewhat like the smell. very close to water with a slight grain note. almost not aftertaste.

mouthfeel: very thin mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

drinkability: if you can drink sparkling water, you can drink this. its not offensive in any way, just very bland with little to no flavor. (472 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Served from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. The color is straw yellow, with a thin bubbly head with some bit of retention. The smell is very corn-ish sweet. The taste is the standard corny sweet macro lager, with just a slight bit more bitterness than I'd expect from a light lager, and of course no aftertaste as they promised...well, except for the DMS aftertaste! Mouthfeel is thin and watery. As for drinkability, no thanks on another.

Well, I saw the Super Bowl commericial promising a new beer. In practice, I haven't had Budweiser or Bud Light in quite some time, but from what I remember, this tastes EXACTLY the same as any other macro, so I have to ask what's the point of packaging this in a bomber when it's nothing but the same old, same old?? The only thing nice about this is that the 22 oz was only 1.19, so no big loss to give it a try, but I'll never bother with this again. (897 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a very very pale yellow with a decent snow white head. I mean this is a pale pale beer. Aroma-- still trying to find one. Maybe a bit of crispness but nothing jumps out . Taste is intially a light touch of maltiness, followed by a crisp dryness followed by nothing. Hey they did get of the aftertaste, and damn near succeeded in getting rid of the before and during taste as well. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Honestly after a couple of sips you wonder if anything is there. My guess is that the "increase" in hops was just to let you know that you didnt pick up the bottle of seltzer instead. If you think Mich Ultra is insipid, at least it had the cojones to admit what it was. Budweiser Select makes one think its something special... which it definately is not (771 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -23.4%

This was a urine-yellow fizzy brew with a fast-dissipating, pure white one finger head. Not promising, but then again, what did I expect?

The aroma was not skunky, which surprised me. Better than most macro swill. Some grains, and a bit of aromatic hops. Could there be real beer ingredients in here?

Don't think so. The taste was indeed crisp, clean, and well carbonated... just like club soda. No malt character at all, and a very slight touch of hop bte that you had to go looking for. Won't give it a 1.0, because it wasn't an awful taste.. it was ABSENCE of taste.

Mouthfeel... well, watery, and fizzy, as expected. Not too bad considering what it was, but nowhere near a real beer.

Drinkability? I'd rather go for a real club soda. Even if I were really pining for a beer, this wouldn't do it. But again, not totally awful. (841 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance - it was a watery, clear yellow color.

Smell - None.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated water

Taste - Very watered down, not much taste at all.

Drinkability - None. Would not recommend.

I used to work for AB and they hyped this beer like crazy. Part of their hype was it was a beer with no aftertaste. I happen to like the aftertaste of beer. And "no aftertaste"? More like no taste at all. AND then they told us they were marketing it towards women. OUCH if I were a women I would have been PO'd. (513 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -22.9%

Despite my usually good sense of judgement, the post-D-league softball consumption of this "beer" still occurred. I intend to atone for my transgressions by drinking something good tonight. But when the choices were Bud "Select" and IC Light, you can understand the predicament in which I founf myself.

Color is that of extremely diluted urine: barely any color and clear. Only a barely noted fizzy white head is seen. Aromas, again, are brealy noted. Is that some corny-husky scent I detect? Flavor is like fizzy water. It amazes me that people actually find this to be a beer they WANT to drink. The fizz overpowers anything in the way of "flavor". Some grain-like flavor. Husky. Finishes without a trace of any aftertaste whatsoever. It's like it evaporates on the palate. Mouthfeel is laughable. Not drinkable, to say the least. (835 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -22.9%

Why in the world does this beer exist? Its all over my area, billboards, commercials, ads. With Bud Light, Busch, Budweiser and Michelob I don't understand why AB pushes this so hard?

A- Light yellow, white head that doesn't hang around, no lacing
S- I can't smell anything
T- Ugh, can't tell much difference from the rest of AB's lineup, but for some reason this has the after taste of dishwater?
M- Crip and light with heavy carbonation
D- Well the only thing going for this is its lightness and low ABV if you count those as good things. You could very well drink a 6 of these in the hot summer and it not hurt your stomach. But I have no idea why you would want too?

I would say this is worse then Bud Light, defaintly worse the Michelob. No reason for it to exist. (780 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -22.9%

I'll begin saying i'm not a fan of regular Budweiser and fewer light beers.

A: Golden color, the head of foam have a finger thick and comes in a giant black can, which seems like a energy drink.

S: Musty, the aluminum from the can hits your nose;

T: Acceptable, classic lager malt with floral background and grains;

M: Watery and warm, light body and insignificant carbonation, i felt like i was drinking a non-alcoholic beer;

D: A bad beer + 99 calories = lousy beer. (473 characters)

Budweiser Select from Anheuser-Busch