Hurricane Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-01-2002

Hurricane Malt Liquor is full-bodied and robust and offers a smooth, slightly fruity and slightly sweet taste.
4.61/5  rDev +91.3%

Disclaimer- I'm poor. Due to this,I have drank nothing but malt liquor. I have a unique taste in what I drink. I've always hated bitter beer, so heinies and becks can go to hell, piss waters.

I am an immense fan of Hurricane Malt Liquor. One does indeed have to brace for the smooth taste. Tilt your head back and slug down,4,5,6, even seven slugs, then place the 40oz down. Yes, the 40 oz you paid 1.68 for. Enjoy how it introduced itself on its way down. Enjoy the cooling feeling it gives on its way down. Love how when it enters your stomach, that it does not feel alien, but rather at home. Savor the creeper buzz that comes from rapid comsumption. Laugh at people who drink piss like heineken and overpay for it.

Appearance- It's telling you you're in for a fun night
Smell- why anyone would smell it is beyond me... it's a f*cking liquid! A drink! A BEVERAGE!
Taste- Unique, not at all bitter... very smooth.
Mouthfeel- Goes down naturally... mmm
Drinkability- Sadness occurs when your bottle is empty. It is magnificent.

Best part is, no hangovers the next morning.

That being said, after dinner, I'm gonna swing by my local beverage shack and snag two of these bad boys. (1,184 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +74.3%

Love it it's something that helps me sleep and deal with my day!!
Love it love it love it it's got a kick, it's got a kick, it's got a kick, it's got a kick, it's got a kick
it's got a kick, it's got a kick, it's got a kick, it's got a kick (241 characters)

Ok let's face it. Malt liquor is not a good nor classy beer but we all remember high school. I gave this ghetto/white trash beer a high review for exactly what it is in its own league. Fuckin awesome. Looks like piss kinda smells like it with notes of dank malts grains and crackers. Taste is about the same without as much of that malt liquor funk like steel reserve which in positive is the worse thing in planet earth other than shiner Holliday chear. Come on people if you got $1.39 to spare get rocked by the hurricane (523 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +56.4%

"Brace for the smooth taste." What is that supposed to mean? If its smooth I shouldn't need to be forewarned. This pours golden and clear. Very little bubble activity. Smell is clean mostly, with a note of corn syrup. Unremarkable, really, but nothing offensive either. Taste is pretty darn smooth I must admit. Sweet and with a light vinous fruit taste also. This hides the ABV very well especially for style. I was pleasantly surprised to find no fusel alcohol flavors even as it warmed a bit. Mouthfeel is smooth as well, perhaps needs a little more in the way of carbonation. Finish is dry and clean. Drinkability, for 40 standards, is top notch. (650 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +55.6%

40oz.

I did not pour this into any glass. However, i give it an average rating for appearance, due to the typical ML label design and the color of the brew.

Smell is also average, for the style, very faint corn notes. No hop presence here.

Taste is rather smooth and malty. Not at all harsh and it is rather pleasing.

Mouthfeel is kind of thick, but not offensive. Goes down easy.

This is an entry level malt, but a good one at that. I've you've only ever had Magnum, then you are in for a treat with this. Otherwise, it's basic. But good basic. (551 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Ok, rating this as it is. A Malt Liquor. So it's not the most complex beer. It's not the most popular style. I'm fine with that. Well excuse the rambling, time to review this Farm Store Refrigerator Shelf Turd. Ok, this bottle is pure sexiness. Mmm, an H with wings screams buy me! Well this is a good looking brew (no sarcasm). It's a nice shade of yellow with a hint of orange. There was a one finger white soapy head that went away fast. Well let's smell this now. This smells like Western America, Grains, Fertilizer and Rust. Not much to it, but with Malt Liquor it's all about the Bold and Smooth body on it.
Still I go into this beast with an open mind. This tastes better than Bud Ice. The flavor is a lot better than the aroma. There is a first wave of grains and corn juice. There is a sweetness to this brew that is both sweet and tart. With this there is no hop presence only a sweet slightly fruity finish no bitterness. The body on this brew is medium-light and smooth. Carbonation is a bit rough but for $2.50 a Forty, who can argue?

Overall: This brew isn't awful. I have no problem killing the Forty. Bud Ice Forty though is another story. I gave this beer it's fair shake. I know what it is, sometimes I like to spend $2.50 on a single....Forty Ounce! This brew is Worth a Shot. (1,298 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +44.4%

Mmm 40 oz malt liquor. This bottle was born on 8/17/05, very fresh. Didn't pour it into a glass; after much deliberation, I figured that since you're supposed to serve everything in the appropriate glassware, I would leave it in the bottle. This is the intended method... that said, I'm reviewing within the style.

Nice gold - amber color, almost like tequila. Meager head but whenever it was agitated at all it fizzed up again. Nice label.

Smell was a little funky, has the generic nasty beer smell. Adjuncts aren't too offensive for a malt liquor, the corn works okay.

You know, for a forty, this tastes pretty good. Corn and adjuncts with minimal grossness. Very smooth! Smooth at first when it's cold but also stays drinkable longer than most as it warms. I finished it over an hour after opening and didn't flinch from warm malt liquor stench. The label warns "brace for the smooth taste!" I guess I should have. Sugar and corn, something else added that's a little spice like, lots of alcohol warming.

Nice mouthfeel. Retains carbonation for a while, which is important in a forty ounce serving. Very crisp, the carbonation masks bad elements and is only a little overwhelming. You will burp your mind out, though ... I was belching up a storm.

As 40 oz bottles of malt liquor go, this is decent and very competitively priced. I only drink 40s once every couple of months now, but my friend who lives and dies with the malt liquor has a fridge stocked with 25+ of these babies at all times. Sometimes you want a forty, and this is a pretty good one. Recommended. (1,583 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +38.2%

the same thing like the others malt liquors, but with a touch of crushed hops; little better than its sister king cobra but still drinkable; good for the mexican food and snacks; try in a pint glass for look its color and head; my brother say about this beer : is like a schlitz malt but without the bull;

69% recommended. (326 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +36.1%

Overall, I was happy with this one, and also glad that even though I drank it out of a clear 40 oz. bottle, served in a tall beer glass, it was neither skunky nor slimy. Hurricane has a thick white head and a clear, golden color. Aroma is almost undetectable. Carbonation is medium. Mouth-feel is medium as well. This malt liquor is just as it's described: robust, bold, and slightly sweet. It finishes very smooth. I enjoyed it and would drink it again, although I'd like to find it in cans.

RJT (497 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

At the time of this review, this is the #35 American Malt liquor, perhaps it is my general lack of quality drinking since the arrival of my son, perhaps this is the only beer I got to drink today, perhaps because I am so sleep deprived I woke up four stations past my stop on the metro this afternoon but I drank the whole 40 of this and enjoyed it. Fictional God there for the weak willed please help me understand this.

Poured from a 40 ounce bottle into a Paulaner dimpled 1 L mug. Beer is yellow and clear with a big white head with low retention, no lacing but steady carbonation of large bubbles.

Aroma is pretty weak but it smells like malt liquor, a little sweet, a little boozy. Not too bad.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that it is a good beer. It is medium to light in body, sweet, decent finish, mild vegetal finish, flat on the palate, it is an adult soda. Not great but something to do while your baby finally sleeps. Cheap and not great but I did drink it, probably won't bother again though. (1,021 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +28.6%

I've been looking to tick this one for a while, but didn't want to take down a whole 40 by myself, a recent cookout at a friends house gave the chance to spread the pain. I'm going to give a detailed review. This was pretty much an average example of the style. It didn't have the harshness of most, and was actually almost pleasant. Most of the tasters found a slight apple taste that I didn't pick up.

This was surprisingly easy to drink and not at all unpleasant. If you're in the mood for a 40, you could do lot worse than grabbing one of these. (550 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of malts, slightly sweet. Taste is basically of malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not that bad as far as malt liquors go. (261 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +26.6%

Consumed straight from the 40 oz bottle.

Not much of an aroma to it,light corn smell and some alcohol.

Taste is a little sweet, not terrible tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and it has a clean finish.

Overall its not a terrible malt liquor, it's decent for the style. (266 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +26.6%

Picked up a six pack of Hurricanes last night for myself and some friends. Taste is a lot like Bud, just a bit stronger. The metal can doesn't really help it, but I've had 40s as well, and they've tasted pretty similarly. The biggest negative of it is that it picks up the taste of the can towards the bottom.

Mouthfeel is okay, as is smell. The appearance is what you'd expect, not tremendous, but not bad either. (416 characters)

Clear 40oz bottle purchased for three dollars American.

Decent golden color.

Not much. Bready with a faint whiff of alcohol.

Light malts and inoffensive adjuncts. Gets more boozy as it warms.

Full bodied upfront but finishes rather dry.

It's alright. Not very rough for a malt liquor but not something you would want to drink alot of. (340 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Yes, sometimes you do just have to go to the deli where nobody speaks any English whatsoever and grab a 40. This is definitely one of the better malt liquor 40's I have had. Ice cold, it certainly was not harsh at all on the taste buds. There definitely was not any discernible hop flavor...a grainy malt with a mild alcohol flavor just about rounds out the flavor. Usually near the bottom of a 40 I am pushing myself to finish it, but this one was real easy, probably because its one of the weaker ones at 6%. If you're 40 shopping, this isn't a bad choice. "Brace for the smooth taste." (588 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +20.3%

CAN you comprehend the effort it takes to find new CANs for the CANQuest (TM) these days? I was in DC over the weekend and stopped at a VA Safeway to see what was available and there were CANs of this one! Bingo.

Seemingly par for the Malt Liquor course, I got two fingers' worth of fluffy, bone-white head that fell like they had been struck from behind. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was faintly fusel compared to many that I have put away on this hosed-up mission. The style is designed to knock you around on the cheap and I said as much to a fellow yesterday when he commented on my choice, stopping only when I noticed that he had some in his cart. Whoops! Mouthfeel was medium with a dryness that left me sucking for air. Wow! Finish was equally dry with a slight fusel flavor that lingered. Frankly, this was not as obnoxious as many offerings in the style. (892 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +19.5%

This is beer for getting drunk on, so no need to treat this like a micro and judge it on nose, appereance, ect...What matters here is drinkability and the buzz, which this provides in spades considering the cheap price. This is one of those beers that you wanna make sure your not driving anywhere after a few 40's. This is my cheap beer of choice, and if you hate it, big deal, your only down $1.09. However, I do recommend drinking this out of a glass if you bought a can, the metal taste seems to go away. (508 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +17.8%

Ice cold 40 poured into a very clean glass after shoveling 6 inches of snow on 18 degree (5 degree wind chill) Kentucky day.

A - Pours a golden color with a 1 finger head that retreats to a thin lace.

S - Sweetness and corn. You don't buy malt liquor for the bouquet.

T - Adjunct dominated with some sweetness.

M - Decent carbonation level - a very clean finish.

O - I'll openly admit that I've like this stuff for a long time. I used to think it was just King Cobra in a different package but they are totally different animals. This is a malt liquor after all...inexpensive and gets the job done. Frankly I have always wondered why regular BMC drinkers don't go for this stuff since I think it tastes better than Bud or BL and packs a decent punch. (766 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +17%

OK first off I bought this beer because it is the end of the pay cycle and I was really just looking for something that would, 'get it done'. Enough said really. This beer sums up the phrase, "you get what you pay for". the coloring is very pale, the smell is lackluster and the taste is palatable, at the least. Only reason I gave the taste a 3.5 is due to the high alcohol level numbing the taste buds halfway through. This is a utilitarian beer to say the least, NEVER would I buy this for enjoyment. I don't suggest getting it, however, if you're in a bind I would recommend this or a 40 of Ole E.

Happy New Years!
Dave (624 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +16.2%

While my rating may seem high, remember that this is malt liquor. People drink malt liquor for two reasons: it's cheap and it gets you ripped. I don't really know of any malt liquor that is truly a pleasant drink, but given price, ABV, and smoothness, Hurricane is the best malt liquor available IMO. you can still get a 40oz for under $3 in many places, and because of this, if you're looking for a cheap buzz, you can afford an extra to pour out for your homies. (464 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured appx 6 oz. from 24 oz can into glass for reviewing purposes.
Won't do that again.
This beer is meant to be drunk straight from the container, not poured into a snifter like some Abbey ale.
It looks alright, smells kinda overly corny, but it is definitely an American beer.
The choice of sophisticated malt liquor drinkers everywhere.
But since I am not sophisticated, I will stick with Mickey's or Olde E. (412 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank this because what else should I drink for Hurricane Ilene in Philly? Bought a 40 at the corner store. Big clear glass bottle. Hell no I didn't use a glass. Its a 40. Bright yellow with white foam that sits on the top. Looks just like I expect a malt liquor to look. Aroma is skunky right off the bat. Clear glass does nothing positive for beer. Some grainyness and a bit of biscuit, but the skunk overwhelms. The taste is meh. Light and watery. Nothing special, but nothing too offensive either. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Really not a bad beer. It's malt liquor. Cheap and inoffensive. (595 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Clear light yellow straw/gold with a decent white head at first and very light carbonation with slow bubbles. All adjunct corn aroma and flavor but not unpleasantly so... Medium bodied and smooth; quite easy drinking.

Not the mest ML I've ever had but certainly not the worst either...

Born On: 07/09/05
Tasted: 01/29/06

($1.69 / 40 oz. fat clear bottle with a twist off cap) (385 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +10%

The 24 ounce can, 8.1% abv.

Appearance - somewhat deepened golden color, a very white head froths up to about a finger then subsides with some thought to leaving lace but not quite getting it done. Moderate bead helps the head hold on a bit but it goes bare inside of two minutes.

Aroma - kicks off quite fruity and sweet. As it settles, it loses some of the sweetness and bends towards a more general grain and adjunct based beer scent. Interesting but fairly typical.

Taste - very grain/corn-fed flavor, sweetness is complementary and the alcohol is evident without really adding or taking away from the overall experience. No hop flavor except *maybe* a brief touch on the aftertaste, it's hard to tell if that's hops or fizz. The sweetness and alcohol create a rather 'wet' finish.

Mouthfeel - high carbonation, rather burp-inducing. Feels a bit solid with the abv and sweetness.

Drinkability - not a beer made to experience the enjoyment of beer. Bud on steroids, not totally bad but watch out that next morning. (1,032 characters)

Hurricane Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch