Hurricane Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Hurricane Malt Liquor is full-bodied and robust and offers a smooth, slightly fruity and slightly sweet taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-01-2002)
1.58/5  rDev -19.8%

Had during a Halloween party that a friend was having. Someone brought several of these along for some reason. I poured myself a glass and off I went. It was about as pointless of a beer as anything I can remember. No head, kinda smooth but no flavor. Still haven't found a good tasting 40 yet.

2.45/5  rDev +24.4%

10:00 Am on a Thursday. At only 1.79 just after my wife and I got into a bad fight. Seemed like the thing to do at the time. Looked a bit darker than most light lagers. They lady on the other end of the 800# assured me there was no HFCS. Smelled pretty sweet wth a little alcohol. Tasted too sweet but went down pretty easy. Could have downed anouther if I hadn't had anything else to do today. I agree with most, don't drink it unless you need a cheap buzz.

2.03/5  rDev +3%

Very pale pour, I think this might be the lightest of the malts I have tried over the last week, with the same fizzy white head that disappears almost instantly though the ever present streams of carbonation all seem to still be coming up from the bottom of the glass. Aroma is corn, alcohol, and a mess of wet hay. Just not what you want to come home to. This follows over to the flavor almost exactly as it was just all over the place, but maintained that almost day old bread like taste mixed with astringent alcohol and moldy cereal. Slick feel and just an almost gag inducing aftertaste. Just not built for this one at all.

2.88/5  rDev +46.2%

OK first off I bought this beer because it is the end of the pay cycle and I was really just looking for something that would, 'get it done'. Enough said really. This beer sums up the phrase, "you get what you pay for". the coloring is very pale, the smell is lackluster and the taste is palatable, at the least. Only reason I gave the taste a 3.5 is due to the high alcohol level numbing the taste buds halfway through. This is a utilitarian beer to say the least, NEVER would I buy this for enjoyment. I don't suggest getting it, however, if you're in a bind I would recommend this or a 40 of Ole E.

Happy New Years!
Dave

2.55/5  rDev +29.4%

40oz of feel good.
Very cheap, don't have to plug your nose to get it down, and it's pretty cheap. Do not mind gettin one of these down and it keeps my pockets thick. Call me crazy, but I'd say this is better than most shit beers. Did I mention that it's quite inexpensive.

1.68/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Clear deep golden in color with a large white head, which soon utterly vanishes, leaving only scattered patches of foam and no lacing. There are lots of fat, slow-rising bubbles, however.

Aroma: Typical lager aroma with sweet corn and a slight, light tropical fruit note, no discernable hop presence. Mercifully, despite the clear glass bottle, there is no skunk aroma.

Taste: Opens with a cooked corn note, and a faint alcohol presence, soon followed by a slight metallic hop presence, which lingers on and on.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with stinging carbonation, rather soda-like.

Drinkability/notes: This is not among the best malt liquors that I have had, but at less than two dollars, tax included, for a forty ounce bottle, it is hard to feel particularly bitter.

Presentation: Packaged in a forty ounce clear glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

1.65/5  rDev -16.2%

40 into an unamed glass for which reason im not exactly sure.

A: pours fizzy yellow, no head, not even over the etchings.
S: smells like fuel and cooked corn and vegetables.
T: like corn water, with maybe a hint of malt. but it is mostly watery, and is an easy drain pour.
M/D: mouthfeel of sparkling water, and the only reason it is drinkable is because it tastes so much like water.

1.33/5  rDev -32.5%

I wanna be a young man again!! My buddies and I drank this all the time! We were "wiggers" and would getsix 40ozers for$10 bucks. I remember when we used to drink down to the label then fill it back up with orange juice!

A: I always like the look of this. I dont know why buy I just loved the golden white foam color.

S: Oh it smells god awful. Smells like a skunk pissed in a natural ice supply. Best to drink while holding your nose.

T: Very malty,heavy and disgusting. Just dont taste it. Swallow it quickly. But by your 2nd one you wont care about taste,

M:Heavy,hoppy,and "vomitty" taste.

D: I wouldnt really drink this again except for memories even then I would have to "beer pong it".

2.9/5  rDev +47.2%

CAN you comprehend the effort it takes to find new CANs for the CANQuest (TM) these days? I was in DC over the weekend and stopped at a VA Safeway to see what was available and there were CANs of this one! Bingo.

Seemingly par for the Malt Liquor course, I got two fingers' worth of fluffy, bone-white head that fell like they had been struck from behind. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was faintly fusel compared to many that I have put away on this hosed-up mission. The style is designed to knock you around on the cheap and I said as much to a fellow yesterday when he commented on my choice, stopping only when I noticed that he had some in his cart. Whoops! Mouthfeel was medium with a dryness that left me sucking for air. Wow! Finish was equally dry with a slight fusel flavor that lingered. Frankly, this was not as obnoxious as many offerings in the style.

2.13/5  rDev +8.1%

From the 24 fl. oz. can 10112-NB44. Sampled on June 19, 2010. Everything about this is typical for an adjunct high gravity malt liquor although not carried off as well as some. It pours pale yellow with a little thin white head that dissolves right away. While there are malt hints in the aroma, the main smell I get is metal. The mouthfeel is OK but the taste has a bit of corn and malts but the alcohol remains the most predominant ingredient.

3.3/5  rDev +67.5%

Overall, I was happy with this one, and also glad that even though I drank it out of a clear 40 oz. bottle, served in a tall beer glass, it was neither skunky nor slimy. Hurricane has a thick white head and a clear, golden color. Aroma is almost undetectable. Carbonation is medium. Mouth-feel is medium as well. This malt liquor is just as it's described: robust, bold, and slightly sweet. It finishes very smooth. I enjoyed it and would drink it again, although I'd like to find it in cans.

RJT

2.73/5  rDev +38.6%

Poured appx 6 oz. from 24 oz can into glass for reviewing purposes.
Won't do that again.
This beer is meant to be drunk straight from the container, not poured into a snifter like some Abbey ale.
It looks alright, smells kinda overly corny, but it is definitely an American beer.
The choice of sophisticated malt liquor drinkers everywhere.
But since I am not sophisticated, I will stick with Mickey's or Olde E.

1.65/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

40 oz bottle spread amongst several of us on 2/3/10 to celebrate Deuane hitting the BIG 40.

Pours a clear gold, topped with a fizzy bright-white head. This sticks around for the most part with a foamy look. The aroma smells of light floral hops, corn bread, and that's about it. And that's probably actually giving it too much credit.

The taste is sweet with a mix of corn and bread. I also made the mistake of actually letting this sit on the palate to you know, actually try to pick up some flavor but was overwhelmed with a disgusting flush of raw vegetable character. Blech! The mouthfeel is thin and watery and seems more like something that I would rinse my glass out, instead of an actual beer that I would sit down and try.

I tend to not want to try beers of this caliber, so my rating might be skewered a bit towards the low side but what can I say, this was some pretty terrible stuff.

2.55/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had this at Deuane's 40th birthday bash -40oz..apropos eh? Poured into a 1/2 pint allowed to warm slightly

A - Golden, ultra clear with thick white head -the head settles o a slim band w/ tiny speckles for bead they almost appear to small to see any separation

S - Smell is corny and light with sugary nose that has cereal hints and mild fruitiness like corn syrup

M - The feel is highly carbonated sweet and alcoholic, drying as you expect a sugar enhanced beverage to feel, leaves no impression after the swallow really

T - Taste? It almost has it, but corn and sucrose flavor is not much to really comment on- the flavor leaves almost as soon as it appears. Even when warm it really comes off as pretty flavorless in general

D - not the worst malt liquor I can think of, but it really is more a case of worse than...? Not a bad example of the style, just not something that invites you to drink more of it

1.88/5  rDev -4.6%

40oz. bottle consumed in celebration of Deuane's 40th birthday on 2/3/10.

A - Poured a clear yellow, urine-colored liquid with huge bubbles of carbonation and a bubbly one-finger white head that disappeared rather quickly. Lacing? Nope.

S - Smells like... nothing, really. Air. Seems like there is some subtle sweet corn and mild alcohol, but that's about it.

T - Sweet, malty and corny with subtle alcohol notes in the background.

M - Light bodied and thin with mild carbonation, resulting in a watery mouthfeel overall. Finishes sweet on the palate with minimal alcohol warmth.

D - This as good as I had anticipated... not very. I can't imagine drinking an entire 40 of this. To quote Bubbles: "You can barely get 'er in ya, but my fuck it'll get you some drunk!"

2.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Go figure, "40 oz." isn't one of the serving type choices on the drop-down menu. Anyway, anyone who picks this up pretty much knows what they're in for. It's yellow and fizzy. The only real distinction between this and other malt liquors is that it tastes even more like old boiled corn than most and has a slightly higher alcohol content. The trade-off is obvious and people who have nothing left to live for should almost certainly grab this brand of liver-destroying quasi-beer. The only problem with this is that it's hard to observe brand loyalty when the brand in question makes you throw up on your friends a little bit quicker.

3.05/5  rDev +54.8%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of malts, slightly sweet. Taste is basically of malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not that bad as far as malt liquors go.

2.53/5  rDev +28.4%

Keeping in mind this is a malt liquor, I didn't hold out much hope for it. That being said, I know I didn't rate it very high, but it was better then I thought it was going to be. It's no where near as harsh as Steel Reserve, which is probably the nastiest of malt liquors out there. Poured into o pint glass its plae yellow in color, with a whole lot of foam. It has a sweetness in the taste thats kind of appealing. All in all no where near a great beer, but if pay day is ways of and you want something cheap to get the job done this will do it.

2.13/5  rDev +8.1%

24oz can
6.0% ABV version

Hurricane High Gravity Lager was pale gold in color with good clarity. It had a large white head that quickly disappeared. The aroma was light and clean, just a generic beer smell. There was not much flavor to speak of, but what what was there was not good. It was somewhat sweet upfront with a dry finish. The body was light and watery with lighter than expected carbonation. Drinkability was not good. This is not a beer that I will purchase again. Maybe the regular version would be better.

1.83/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a light golden color, with a good amount of fizzy white head.

The scent is of corn and grains not much else.

The taste is also corn and grains. Not much of an alcohol taste for the high ABV.

Light bodied, kind of watery and smooth, average carbonation.

I'm not really sure why I bought this. Though it's easy to drink for the first 20oz, the skunkiness starts to catch up, and is ultimately disappointing.

2.48/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured this 24 oz. can into a large mug.

Appearance: This malt liquor poured a light golden color. See through when held to the light, it looks like a typical American Adjunct lager. A standard pour leads to a thick white, 2 finger head. Light carbonation through out the beverage.

Smell: Interesting yet dissatisfying. Heavy mixes of roasted, sweet, and burned corn on the nose. Follows with heavy alcohol scent.

Taste: As the smell would suggest, plenty of corn to start on the pallate. Keeping the beer in the mouth provided plenty of alcohol flavor afterwards.

Mouthfeel: This beer had an average feel on the mouth for this style of beer. Light body leads to an alcohol burn finish.

Drinkability: These can go down easy after a few. Heavy alcohol flavor and burn makes it hard to sip on this.

Final Thoughts - I reviewed this with the style in mind. Not a terrible malt liquor but nothing special either. Pick it up if you need a cheap brew as a single. Otherwise don't bother.

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%

This beer really doesn't have much going for it. The alcohol content is not 8.10%, that's Hurricane High Gravity which really only has that going for it. It tastes worse and I think is only served as 40's. Try hard to steer clear unless you're really low on cash and just want to get sloshed.

2.4/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hurricane
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: American Malt Liquor
ABV: 8.10 %
live review 3/15/09 - can>pint glass

A 2.5 - small head gone quick, reduced to a micro size lace collar, medium golden straw in color
S 2.0 - minor sweet alcohol aroma, some minor honey notes & skunky-ness
T 2.5 - better than some other malt liquors in my opinion - not to sweet like some others can be
MF 2.5 - high carbonation, thin body, you can sense the alcohol presence
D 2.5 - almost drinkable for a malt liquor, I would rink it if I am broke or if it is my only beer option, thats about it. Good for the style I guess.

3.8/5  rDev +92.9%

"Brace for the smooth taste." What is that supposed to mean? If its smooth I shouldn't need to be forewarned. This pours golden and clear. Very little bubble activity. Smell is clean mostly, with a note of corn syrup. Unremarkable, really, but nothing offensive either. Taste is pretty darn smooth I must admit. Sweet and with a light vinous fruit taste also. This hides the ABV very well especially for style. I was pleasantly surprised to find no fusel alcohol flavors even as it warmed a bit. Mouthfeel is smooth as well, perhaps needs a little more in the way of carbonation. Finish is dry and clean. Drinkability, for 40 standards, is top notch.

2.95/5  rDev +49.7%

This is beer for getting drunk on, so no need to treat this like a micro and judge it on nose, appereance, ect...What matters here is drinkability and the buzz, which this provides in spades considering the cheap price. This is one of those beers that you wanna make sure your not driving anywhere after a few 40's. This is my cheap beer of choice, and if you hate it, big deal, your only down $1.09. However, I do recommend drinking this out of a glass if you bought a can, the metal taste seems to go away.

Hurricane Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch