Michelob Honey Lager - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-01-2002

We brew our Michelob Honey Lager with European aromatic hops and toasted caramel barley malt for a balanced taste.
What makes this beer really special, however, is the addition of a touch of natural wildflower honey. It all adds up to a just slightly sweet and uniquely soft beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Honey Lager Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.2/5  rDev +21.7%

I liked it...I thought the deep golden colour was very nice, the crown or lack of could use some improvement....A very smooth taste, definetly a honey presence but not over powering....a tad on the sweet side but again not over powering......
Drinkability could be an issue as the sweetness here could catch up with desire to quaff this particular product in abundance..... (374 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -45.6%

Pours an ultra clear golden/orange with a tiny, I mean TINY white head that all but completely disappeared. The smell is a very faint fresh bread smell that is lightly sweet. The taste of honey is very, very apparent in this beer. Almost overwhelmingly so. Whew!...this thing is sweet tasting with a carb bite and nothing else can get past the honey. Strange tasting at best. For a company that's normally scared to use flavor, they went "flip-side" on the honey here! They just don't understand if you have bold flavor, you have to provide some type of complexity to it to counter balance things. Very light bodied and oh so sweet (not in a good way). Not very drinkable at all in fact I struggled through 12 ounces of this stuff. Cheers! (739 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +32.3%

I also was surprised by thisone for I have not found a Honey ive liked yet, until now! My rate #'s are up for that reason. A pure gold' clear honey color with a white puff short-lived head.Somewhat medium lace. Aroma is kinda grainy ( beerlike rather than honey on the nose ). Very AB smooth mouthfeel.Leaves the mouth alittle dry. Taste is more of a caramel sweet than an overdone honey sweet. Beleave it or not, this is my best honey and perhaps my pick of AB specialties. (474 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours to a deep golden color, with a white head that diminishes quickly. There is a faint sweet malt aroma. The flavor is very sweet, with a very pronounced honey flavor. It finshes smooth and sweet, with low hop flavor or bitterness. Overall, I was pleasantly surpised with this one. The honey flavor really came through on this one. It is a bit sweet, but would be a drinkable beer on a hot summer day. (410 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +3.8%

Rich medium amber. Rich head and tentatively clingy lace Not bad apperaance in a glass, poured from tap. Very sweet malt and under carbonated. Way to sweet to drink at all. Make me sick to my stomach. (200 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +24.3%

ya know, maybe there is a product or two from Anh-Busch that is just not too bad. this brew pours to a good enough golden color. head dies very quickly however.

it is smooth and sweet with a very strong taste of natural honey, much more than i had expected. the honey is balanced out by a nice maltiness that makes it an all around flavorable beer. (352 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +6.1%

Another Anheuser-Busch "specialty" brew. I read the other reviews prior to purchasing this, so I when I got home I would be prepared. A good portion of the reviews said that this beer is sickly sweet and the honey is overwhelming, but I found it not to be so bad.

First of all, Michelob Honey Lager poors a really nice gold color, and like the BA review said, they were really aiming to give this a honey color, and I think they pulled it off well. The head is white and kind of foamy, and lasts for about a minute. The smell is sweet and grainy, but I noticed no distinct honey scent in the smell. As for the mouthfeel, it is very smooth textured, and there is a moderate amount of carbonation. The taste is what I disagree the most on with other BAs. It's got a sweet grainy taste with a touch of honey. Sweeter than your average American lager, but not overpowering like I was expecting. I detected a minimal amount of bitterness from the hops in the finish, but the aftertaste was sweet along with the presence of the infamous AB green apple. I'm starting to think that maybe AB finally reformulated this beer to cut down on the excessive honey taste.

Anyway, I didn't think this was too bad. I surely don't accept it as a serious specialty beer, but I think it's kind of a "macro novelty" that you try once and leave it at that. (1,348 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -25.9%

I've been eyeing Michelob's attempt at craft beer for a bit, but haven't had enough nads to actually buy it. Anheuser-Busch's name on a beer is like the Mr Yuck sticker your mom used to put on poisonous stuff, so your 5-year-old ass wouldn't drink it. http://www.cardinalglennon.com/images.nsf/files/Photo24.gif/$file/Photo24.gif
Fortune shined upon me as I was at a friend's.
"Hey...wanna beer?"
Duh, guy!
Nestled amongst some Pete's is a Honey Lager, looking like Puff Daddy trying to sing. Lost cause. A chance to try the Busch family's answer to the microbrew. Carpe Diem.
I opted to just forego a glass. I gotta "keep it real". Not much smell came through, even when I jammed my nose in the neck. A light honey smell, which is to be expected. I got sick of trying to find something that I wasn't entirely sure existed, so up the bottle went. Not too bad. Better than I expected. Nice carbonation. No hop presence. A slight maltiness, but mainly the honey taste. I could imagine this being popular with non-beer drinkers. I guess the honey was pleasant, but my two pals malt and hops must not visit St. Louis much. The aftertaste revealed nothing new, but I'm still wondering if any hops are hiding in the bottle? An IBU or two would find spacious living. I think they used one pellet per batch. Entirely inoffensive.
I doubt I'll drink this again, save an emergency.
Sorry,Honey Lager. Good hustle, but I don't think you made the team. (1,472 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob Honey Lager pours a golden amber with tints of red, from a brown 12oz twist off cap bottle. Head is up at a good two fingers but fades quickly to a clean Beer surface, no lace or ring.

Nose is a light honey, palate is sweet honey, sweet corn, some slight malt with a bitter hop bite and the carbonation finish.

After a hard day of shopping at the market, I was very thirsty when I popped the top on this Michelob Honey Lager. The combination of the sweet honey and the bite of the hops put my palate at ease right off the bat, this is a fairly good macro lager. (576 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +8.4%

Any beer that tastes better out of the bottle has problems. I was dissatisfied at the lack of head and head retention. I was dejected at the lack of smell, some faint sweetness (honey?) but nothing noteworthy. The taste seemed kind of manufactured; the honey/sweetness did not seem natural. I did not find the flavors overwhelming nor did I find them overly enjoyable. I could drink one or two of these (in a pinch) and that’s about all… (444 characters)

I think the BA reviewers were on to something. The brewers were full of crap--this is not what it should be. Honey, when added into the fermentation process (where it belongs, IMO) will NOT sweeten the beer. Honey is 100% simple sugar, thus 100% fermentable. I can't stand it when brewers and meaderies make such cloyingly sweet beverages such as Michelob Honey Lager. What they are really doing is "flavoring" this otherwise decent beer with honey to give it honeyish aroma and sweetness. They have to add it after the yeast has been removed or killed, otherwise it would ferment out and you would get a drier, more vinous flavor from the honey and maybe the aromatics of the flowers the bees were using. Dundee, A-B, stop doing this! It misrepresents the true role of honey in fermented beverages. I damn it on principle. (823 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -48.7%

Cloying and sickeningly sweet. J.W. Dundees does a better job with their Honey Brown. This smells o.k., pours out to a bright yellow, then assaults you mouth with a nasty, sweet taste that follows through all the way to the end. (230 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -13.3%

i didn't dislike this beer, and even drank a few of them while i was at it....but i can see where beer geeks would be turned off. the honey taste and sweetness was almost overwhelming, but genuine. nothing i would seek out if i had to pay for it, since i had this at a friends house. if you REALLY like the sweet taste of honey, or are looking for a breakfast beer to go with those pancakes....this is a good choice. if your looking for genuine beer flavor, stear clear. (470 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Of all the Michelob "craft brews", this one is least likely to give me a headache (before the Michelob line, the AB "Black and Tan" Porter was my favorite but it was long ago discontinued)...a look at the ingredients label told me that this brew doesn't include rice or other grains, differing from the others...maybe? Very average and a little greasy, because of the honey, I guess...when I'm trapped into bringing something home from a limited grocery selection, I might get this...no hops, malt hidden by sweetness, but I can drink it... (541 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -54.4%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist bottle, with a “Born On Date” on the label on the neck.

Appearance: Golden hue with a bright clarity, obviously they were going for that deep golden honey colour. Above par head retention, nice and bubbly with some stickiness.

Smell: Weird grainy aroma that is similar to horse feed or green barley, little sugary sweet also.

Taste: Smooth mouth feel with a moderate body, little bit of slickness on the tongue. Carbonation is moderate, the sweetness is so high it is nearly unpalatable. Hops are minimal. More and more sweetness, does not taste natural though that is what is stated on the label. Bit of tingling carbonation is the only thing that tries to off set the sweetness. Residual sweetness run rampant to the point of sickly.

Notes: Pretty bad, way too sweet and very hard to drink one 12 oz bottle. Needs a bigger twang of hop and/or a bit of dryness. Not recommended at all. (942 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -57.4%

Yuck!! Golden appearance, some malt flavor up front, overpowered by a sickly sweet flavor that goes through the aftertaste. Totally unbalanced.

Tastes like they poured a whole jar of honey in one beer!! Seems like it was made for underaged high school girls. A very, very poor effort! (294 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last