Michelob Honey Lager - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

We brew our Michelob Honey Lager with European aromatic hops and toasted caramel barley malt for a balanced taste.
What makes this beer really special, however, is the addition of a touch of natural wildflower honey. It all adds up to a just slightly sweet and uniquely soft beer.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-01-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Honey Lager Alström Bros
palma

2.93/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearence: Golden body with a decent head with different size bubbles and sticks well to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Some honey and cinnamon. Light malt. No hops in the aroma.

Taste: Very sweet. The honey flavor is artificial. I also tasted a lot of cinnamon. Don't know why the put that in. Ok tasting if you like very sweet beers.

Mouthfeel: Decent mouthfeel. The honey kind of makes it smooth but that just might be a subiminal thought that came out because I know im drinking a honey lager. Carbonation is medium/high.

Drinkability: Can't drink too many of these because they are so sweet. Ok for about one or two but that is it.

01-26-2004 03:10:54 | More by palma
mschofield

1.98/5  rDev -20.2%

A golden, approaching light amber body, with a two finger rocky off-white head.
Grainy malt aroma, with a touch of honey and darker malt, very clean aroma.
Sweet rich taste, a little cloying and too sweet. A good honey note.
Brown sugar and cinammon?
Looks better than it is, just too sweet to be palatable. I couldn't even finish one. I don't think all that sweetness can just be from honey, unless it wasn't alowed to completely ferment.

01-13-2004 22:34:15 | More by mschofield
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.2/5  rDev +29%

Appearance: Honey golden amber tone with a decent sized silky white head leaves behind some scanty lacing. Aroma: Label claims all malt, this maybe but it's a mild biscuit malt sweetness blended with honey sweetness this one's not bad some very light hopping. Taste: It's not off to me just honey trace throught it with some light bready malt sweetness finishing hops to balance not horrible. Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied not too impressed with this aspect and quite overcarbonated. Drinkability: Well, not a staple but the best of the Michelob sampler in my opinion, refreshing and strangely not bad.

12-24-2003 02:29:28 | More by WVbeergeek
merlin48

2.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a sampler box I bought mostly for the two included glasses, and to pacify the manager of a local beer store that is trying to get her distributor to find something more exotic than Heineken and Sam Adams. Pours a clear golden amber, off-white head disappears in seconds. Nose is honey sweet, maybe a faint hint of malts and hops. Mouthfeel is sweet, slightly carbonated. Taste is sweet honey,not much else. No lacing is evident as the glass empties. Not much here to balance the honey sweetness. Syrupy aftertaste doesn't improve my opinion of this mediocre offering.

12-15-2003 22:33:03 | More by merlin48
WesWes

3.9/5  rDev +57.3%

The beer pours a golden color with a lacey white head. The aroma is average. It has lager characteristics, but it has a sweetness to it from the addition of honey. It makes the aroma a little more complex enjoyable. The taste is good. It has the flavor of a macro-lager, but the honey mellows it out and adds a nice sweet flavor. The mouthfeel is good. This is a medium bodied beer with a average amount of carbonation. It drinks well. This is a good beer for the money, macro or not.

12-07-2003 02:26:07 | More by WesWes
winomark

Missouri

1.98/5  rDev -20.2%

Came in the Michelob sampler pack.

Appearance: Medium gold color with an aggressively foamy head.

Aroma: Sweet malt profile reminds me of Budweiser, with some aroma hops present.

Taste: Sweet honey all over the palate. Some malt and hops try unsucessfully to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light, but somewhat syrupy. Honey thickness throughout. Too sweet for my tastes.

Drinkability: A noble effort, but not sure what style this is. A disappointing part of the sampler pack.

11-17-2003 16:26:02 | More by winomark
TastyTaste

1.02/5  rDev -58.9%

Pours a bright looking gold color. That is where the positives end. Sweet and funky tasting that made me hold back my gag reflex. I guess honey is not supposed to be in beer (see Leinie's HoneyWeiss). Drinking this beer was not a very pleasant experience. I cannot recommend anyone buying this beer for anything except practical jokes.

11-04-2003 22:00:18 | More by TastyTaste
jlervine

Georgia

Poured a golden amber with no head - went straight to lace. Smell has some pale malts behind it, maybe a little citrus there? Either way, it's hard to get a good whiff of this beer. The taste isn't too bad, but not exciting - weird honey-like flavor at the beginning, and a light malt finish. Mouthfeel is pretty interesting - very effervescent despite the lack of head, tingles on the tip of the tongue. Decent drinkability, but I dunno about 2 in a row - too bland.

10-08-2003 21:42:43 | More by jlervine
palliko

3.33/5  rDev +34.3%

Yikes. An A.B. beer that is drinkable! (Just) It DOES look a little like apple juice. And it definitely contains a honey sweetness. But, hey, on a hot day, I wouldn't kick it out of the fridge...the taste is acceptably good. The initial beer taste is subsumed in the sweetness which is not overwhelming. In fact, there are bitter elements that linger. A lot of times when I have an particularly bad or too bitter beer to dispose of, I will (please: no one panic!) mix some Honey Lager in, and end up with something a lot more palatable. Or to produce the result I am looking for but can't find in one beer. Try: my recipe: 1 part Bass Ale, 1 part Honey Lager, 2 parts Samuel Adams Boston Lager = perfection!

09-18-2003 21:02:07 | More by palliko
clvand0

2.8/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a light amber color with a creamy head that dies off quickly and leaves very little lacing on the glass. The aroma was sweet, as expected with honey. Nothing much else in the nose. The flavor was not one of my favorites. It was sweet, but very bitter at the same time. I really didn't enjoy this beer very much.

09-12-2003 18:01:42 | More by clvand0
Brent

2.2/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured a glowing golden - and by "glowing" I mean it had an odd, chemical reaction brightness - or at least it struck me that way. Nice tight fluffy head. Lightly sweet malt aroma. Initial taste was a sweetness with bittersweetness floating on top. Dried at the finish with a powdery mouthfeel, but then crept back with an odd, oily slickness. As the beer warmed, an artificial sweetener aspect became pronounced, as did the oily finish. A lot going on in this beer, but little of it enjoyable.

09-09-2003 13:46:31 | More by Brent
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.58/5  rDev +44.4%

Alright. This has got to be the most peculiar beer I have ever had. Ever. It pours a nice darker golden colour, almost like apple juice, and the smell is quite nice, too. The taste is actually quite good. When it first gets into your mouth, it immediately tastes of beer, (which it should), but quickly it turns sweet. Quite sweet in fact and one can most definately tell that honey was indeed involved in the production of this brew. I saw where one fellow wrote in his review that this stuff leaves a peculiar, but pleasant, after taste in ones mouth and I must say I'd have to agree with that. I really like this brew, even though it is quite strange, sweeter than most people seem to enjoy (I gave it 3.0 because of its sweetness in drinkability), and, as much as I hate to say it, it comes from AnheuserBusch. 'Tis a day of great shame, for I have spoken praise to A&B.

09-02-2003 03:31:24 | More by SilentSabre
Gueuzedude

Arizona

1.5/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Bright deep gold color, creamy short term head that quickly becomes large bubbles and then fades. Smells of apple and adjunct, I can't detect any honey in the nose. First impression is of one dimensional sweetness. No bitterness, but is lightly sharp from the carbonation. Not much to taste except the sweetness. Quite a disgusting beer, I must admit that I threw it out. Tastes like a macro with a tablespoon of sugar added.

08-25-2003 17:19:29 | More by Gueuzedude
TheDM

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev +31%

This brew pours a nice white head of small bubbles and leaves behind a nice lacing as it recedes. It has an aroma of honey and some malt. I rather like the taste of this brew for the money. It has a nice honey malty flavor and is very smooth. There is a mild aftertaste that leaves a nice flavor in your mouth. All in all, it is a good all-round drinking beer. I just wish I could get it more when I go out.

07-12-2003 14:56:20 | More by TheDM
Ahhdball

3.33/5  rDev +34.3%

Another "Mega-Brew" comes to play and does well. I liked this beer. I wouldn't think it to be too sweet like others have suggested bu t they are right, one can definitely smell the honey.

Tasted faily sweet but not too bad, it even had an after taste of banannas which I found really interesting. I'm not saying we should call this a "Banana-weisen" ;) but for a hot afternoon grilling, it was good.

06-16-2003 19:33:44 | More by Ahhdball
StevieW

2.98/5  rDev +20.2%

16 oz pint. I was surprised to see this one on tap last night at Pep's Sea Grill in Jupiter, FL. Sadly, It was the best they had to offer.
Pale yellow to golden color. Faint fizzy white head left by the time the glass made it to my table. Sweet cornwater smell combined with thick honey. Not unpleasant at all. Honey was noticable but not overwhelming.
Taste is slick and sweet for sure. Lots of honey flavors, front and back. Famialer AB cornwater taste as well. No hops at all. None. A touch more pleasing than I anticipated though. Slick, sweet finish. Nearly syrupy, not to be guzzled but it did okay against Bud, Budlight, and Miller Lite on tap.

05-11-2003 14:22:51 | More by StevieW
Rifrafboy

2.73/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours typical yellow, decent carbonation. Only a slight head. The smell is sweet and inviting. Taste is sweet, but not overpoweringly so. You get the honey taste pretty strong, so any malt is hidden. Hops are decent. Finishes with a sweet honey aftertaste. I don't like honey brews, and this hasn't changed my opinion.

03-24-2003 14:47:19 | More by Rifrafboy
GeoffRizzo

2.55/5  rDev +2.8%

Leftover from the Ales and Lagers Winter 12 pack. Pours a straw color, with thin carbonation, the thin head disseminates rapidly. Very faint honey and grainy smell. The honey taste stays throughout with somewhat of a bad syrup feel left on the palate. The idea is right, a decent balance of the honey, but a bit tough to drink; however, might be one of the better Michelob brews, still . . .

03-08-2003 18:51:32 | More by GeoffRizzo
Stubbie1

Connecticut

2.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I dont know why I try all these odd flavored beers. This pours a dark gold with a fast fading head which turns to a lace. The aroma of honey is there, not much of anything else. The taste has a bit malt but is over ran with honey, a bit too much for me. I would like a slight hint of it. Not bad but nothing that I would drink again.

02-12-2003 18:00:42 | More by Stubbie1
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.63/5  rDev +6%

Pour this hard and you get a get head, there isn't a lot of carbonation. Leaves a lace. Pale orange color and a faint honey nose. Very light bodied but better than a Mic lager. Very definite taste of honey and finishes with smooth malt/honey flavor. The ABV is 4.9%.

02-05-2003 15:29:17 | More by jdhilt
tang214

3.35/5  rDev +35.1%

This is an alright brew for the style. It pours a golden color with slight reddish hue and a creamy head that thins to short layer. It smells like honey with a light hoppy aroma. The one thing I do not much care for is how sweet it is. I know that honey be is supposed to be sweet but this is just a little too much for my tastes. It has some carbonation in the mouthfeel but still goes down fairly smooth. This is just an average beer for this style.

01-07-2003 16:25:23 | More by tang214
aaronh

3.28/5  rDev +32.3%

Deep amber colored body is topped by a rather thick, white head. This beer displays excellent head retention for an american macro. The aroma is strong on honey, with a touch of fruity hops. Again, pleasing, especially from AB. The taste of honey hits you inmmediately upon the first sip. It almost reminds me of a blueberry honey taste. Different, but good. Nice malt background with a touch of hops in the finish. The honey sweetness is not balanced all that well with the rest of the flavors. The mouthfeel is rich and a little thick, leaving a thin, syrupy cating on the tongue. Residual sweetness lags behind, again betraying the unbalanced honey and perhaps a lack of bittering hops. Drinakbility is hurt by the cloying sweetness the honey creates. A decent beer from AB, but an overly liberal use (waste?) of honey.

01-06-2003 17:02:03 | More by aaronh
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.38/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good beer, as far as mainstream Honey beers go. I enjoy this one and it's sweetness. It's sweet, yet dark, so the combonation is a good one. It had a nice dark color to it, with a short lived light brown head. Had a very strong honey taste at first and finnished with it. I could see it getting too sweet for some, but I really enjoyed it. Finnishes smooth and delivers satisfaction.

01-04-2003 02:09:19 | More by JISurfer
ZAP

2.73/5  rDev +10.1%

I know a lot of people think this is overly sweet but I say "shoot if you're going to put honey in a beer, do it up in a big way"..and they certainly do with this...I tend to like sweet and oversweet beers so this doesn't bother me all that much although I'm sure for some it could be sickening...

It is a brilliant gold in color...clear...nose doesn't exhibit much honey...more adjucts again....mouthfeel is creamy and slick...taste is sweet like honey...I think this could have been a much better beer with some added complexities to it, but I can deal with it as it is...

A nice sweet change of pace on occasion and my favorite out of the sampler....If you like sweet beers give it a shot you might like it...If not stay away because it is overdone...kind of like a sweet can of fruit punch or something like that....

01-02-2003 22:27:40 | More by ZAP
Pegasus

1.8/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy medium golden color that I suppose is meant to be reminiscent of honey. Well carbonated with a half-inch head that seems to have some staying power; lots of broken lace.

Aroma: Aroma consists mainly of honey and some grain notes - It is clear why Jason remarked that the aroma is similar to horse feed, it is quite so.

Taste: Tasting yields sharp, overpowering honey notes that drown out any other flavors, although I think I detect a little hop bitterness. The carbonation is fairly sharp and stinging. Finish is excessively sweet.

Mouth feel: A little thinner than expected, although not unpleasant.

DrinkabiIity/notes: I commend Anheuser-Busch for attempting to develop new beers, but this one misses the mark.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass longneck with a twist off crown; served in a standard pint tap glass.

12-08-2002 18:00:49 | More by Pegasus