Michelob Honey Lager - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

We brew our Michelob Honey Lager with European aromatic hops and toasted caramel barley malt for a balanced taste.
What makes this beer really special, however, is the addition of a touch of natural wildflower honey. It all adds up to a just slightly sweet and uniquely soft beer.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Honey Lager Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev +4%

Presentation: Dark Brown Bottle. Yellow label.

Pour: Nice head, about half and inch. Disappears quickly though.

Smell: like an adjunct lager, alittle more malt than I expected.

Color: deep gold, almost amber

Taste: much better than I expected after reading reviews on here. Personally, I think it has the right amount to sweatness with out being too sweat.

Drinkability: I doubt any one would be able to through these back to easy. A bit heavier than most macro beers, but i could drink a few at a time.

Cheers!

UDbeernut, Oct 31, 2004
1.4/5  rDev -43.5%

Yet another expedition into cheap US macrobrews. This was on sale for $5 a six-pack, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Beer pours a dark red-gold in color. Nice billowy head that builds fast and thick, but dissipates quickly. Thick clumps of lace cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell is strangely subdued, especially for an adjunct lager. Faint tace of hops, some honey, little else.

Everything goes wrong with the taste, however. Most beers using honey employ it as a means of adding a subtle taste. Not this one. I've had meads that have less honey kick to them. Way too sweet, and really more like white sugar than honey. Nothing else comes through. Mouthfeel is too cloying for a lager, and I'm left with a sweetened-tea aftertaste.

I'll finish the other 5 bottles in a frozen mug, to deaden my taste buds. Won't be coming back to this.

Hunter, Aug 04, 2004
2.88/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a very transluscent golden color with a 2 finger head that sticks around longer than most others from the macro companies. The beer smells honey sweet without much more coming through. Most of the flavor also comes from the honey. It's just a little too much in the foreground for my liking. The beer is moderately thick in my mouth. Rather surprising from for a maro offering. This is an easy beer to drink, but because it's so sweet, I couldn't do more than a few. Not a bad offerng, but still a macro beer.

kmpitz2, Aug 04, 2004
2.83/5  rDev +14.1%

After finishing a very sour Goudenband, I need a macro, something highly filtered with a taste on the other extreme edge to get me back on keel. A nice sweet Honey Lager seems in order.

Appearance - perfect honey color. A short lived crisp head manages to maintain a thin cap and collar for the whole sampling.

Aroma - a honey candy smell, and that only briefly. Just the barest hint of something sweet, it's hard to pick up anything after a few seconds.

Taste - well, it's beer with a thick coating of honey wrapped around it, about a step away (maybe a half-step) from alcopop. Some cinnamon flavor on the swallow. I have a feeling this may get a bit sickening and yucky sweet if it warms, so I'll not tarry on quaffing this. No hops detected, this really is a dessert lover's beer, maybe something for the winter holiday season.

Mouthfeel - for a macro lager this has a thicker than expected feel due to the honey heaviness. It's crisp and lingers sweetly in the mouth.

Drinkability - I gotta be in a mood, but I could drink a few of these.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 29, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +53.2%

I’m going to against everything I have ever said about Michelob. I hate Michelob, but I figured I try out their honey lager because I’m a huge fan of honey beers, wines and all most anything with honey it. I wasn’t expecting all that much and here it turned out to be probably one of my favorite honey beers. I feel that it puts Honey Brown to shame and I love Honey Brown. This beer has a decent golden color to it, aroma is mild with the sent of honey floating about it. You can expect the average North American lager taste that you get from most big name brews, kind of plain, not much malt flavor or much hops, nothing to great but they but in the right amount of honey to make it good. As for its head it really isn’t there at all but at this point I don’t care. I feel that this beer was well done.

simmons, Feb 25, 2004
2.93/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearence: Golden body with a decent head with different size bubbles and sticks well to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Some honey and cinnamon. Light malt. No hops in the aroma.

Taste: Very sweet. The honey flavor is artificial. I also tasted a lot of cinnamon. Don't know why the put that in. Ok tasting if you like very sweet beers.

Mouthfeel: Decent mouthfeel. The honey kind of makes it smooth but that just might be a subiminal thought that came out because I know im drinking a honey lager. Carbonation is medium/high.

Drinkability: Can't drink too many of these because they are so sweet. Ok for about one or two but that is it.

palma, Jan 26, 2004
1.98/5  rDev -20.2%

A golden, approaching light amber body, with a two finger rocky off-white head.
Grainy malt aroma, with a touch of honey and darker malt, very clean aroma.
Sweet rich taste, a little cloying and too sweet. A good honey note.
Brown sugar and cinammon?
Looks better than it is, just too sweet to be palatable. I couldn't even finish one. I don't think all that sweetness can just be from honey, unless it wasn't alowed to completely ferment.

mschofield, Jan 13, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +29%

Appearance: Honey golden amber tone with a decent sized silky white head leaves behind some scanty lacing. Aroma: Label claims all malt, this maybe but it's a mild biscuit malt sweetness blended with honey sweetness this one's not bad some very light hopping. Taste: It's not off to me just honey trace throught it with some light bready malt sweetness finishing hops to balance not horrible. Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied not too impressed with this aspect and quite overcarbonated. Drinkability: Well, not a staple but the best of the Michelob sampler in my opinion, refreshing and strangely not bad.

WVbeergeek, Dec 24, 2003
2.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a sampler box I bought mostly for the two included glasses, and to pacify the manager of a local beer store that is trying to get her distributor to find something more exotic than Heineken and Sam Adams. Pours a clear golden amber, off-white head disappears in seconds. Nose is honey sweet, maybe a faint hint of malts and hops. Mouthfeel is sweet, slightly carbonated. Taste is sweet honey,not much else. No lacing is evident as the glass empties. Not much here to balance the honey sweetness. Syrupy aftertaste doesn't improve my opinion of this mediocre offering.

merlin48, Dec 15, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +57.3%

The beer pours a golden color with a lacey white head. The aroma is average. It has lager characteristics, but it has a sweetness to it from the addition of honey. It makes the aroma a little more complex enjoyable. The taste is good. It has the flavor of a macro-lager, but the honey mellows it out and adds a nice sweet flavor. The mouthfeel is good. This is a medium bodied beer with a average amount of carbonation. It drinks well. This is a good beer for the money, macro or not.

WesWes, Dec 07, 2003
1.98/5  rDev -20.2%

Came in the Michelob sampler pack.

Appearance: Medium gold color with an aggressively foamy head.

Aroma: Sweet malt profile reminds me of Budweiser, with some aroma hops present.

Taste: Sweet honey all over the palate. Some malt and hops try unsucessfully to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light, but somewhat syrupy. Honey thickness throughout. Too sweet for my tastes.

Drinkability: A noble effort, but not sure what style this is. A disappointing part of the sampler pack.

winomark, Nov 17, 2003
1.02/5  rDev -58.9%

Pours a bright looking gold color. That is where the positives end. Sweet and funky tasting that made me hold back my gag reflex. I guess honey is not supposed to be in beer (see Leinie's HoneyWeiss). Drinking this beer was not a very pleasant experience. I cannot recommend anyone buying this beer for anything except practical jokes.

TastyTaste, Nov 04, 2003

Poured a golden amber with no head - went straight to lace. Smell has some pale malts behind it, maybe a little citrus there? Either way, it's hard to get a good whiff of this beer. The taste isn't too bad, but not exciting - weird honey-like flavor at the beginning, and a light malt finish. Mouthfeel is pretty interesting - very effervescent despite the lack of head, tingles on the tip of the tongue. Decent drinkability, but I dunno about 2 in a row - too bland.

jlervine, Oct 08, 2003
3.33/5  rDev +34.3%

Yikes. An A.B. beer that is drinkable! (Just) It DOES look a little like apple juice. And it definitely contains a honey sweetness. But, hey, on a hot day, I wouldn't kick it out of the fridge...the taste is acceptably good. The initial beer taste is subsumed in the sweetness which is not overwhelming. In fact, there are bitter elements that linger. A lot of times when I have an particularly bad or too bitter beer to dispose of, I will (please: no one panic!) mix some Honey Lager in, and end up with something a lot more palatable. Or to produce the result I am looking for but can't find in one beer. Try: my recipe: 1 part Bass Ale, 1 part Honey Lager, 2 parts Samuel Adams Boston Lager = perfection!

palliko, Sep 18, 2003
2.8/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a light amber color with a creamy head that dies off quickly and leaves very little lacing on the glass. The aroma was sweet, as expected with honey. Nothing much else in the nose. The flavor was not one of my favorites. It was sweet, but very bitter at the same time. I really didn't enjoy this beer very much.

clvand0, Sep 12, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured a glowing golden - and by "glowing" I mean it had an odd, chemical reaction brightness - or at least it struck me that way. Nice tight fluffy head. Lightly sweet malt aroma. Initial taste was a sweetness with bittersweetness floating on top. Dried at the finish with a powdery mouthfeel, but then crept back with an odd, oily slickness. As the beer warmed, an artificial sweetener aspect became pronounced, as did the oily finish. A lot going on in this beer, but little of it enjoyable.

Brent, Sep 09, 2003
3.58/5  rDev +44.4%

Alright. This has got to be the most peculiar beer I have ever had. Ever. It pours a nice darker golden colour, almost like apple juice, and the smell is quite nice, too. The taste is actually quite good. When it first gets into your mouth, it immediately tastes of beer, (which it should), but quickly it turns sweet. Quite sweet in fact and one can most definately tell that honey was indeed involved in the production of this brew. I saw where one fellow wrote in his review that this stuff leaves a peculiar, but pleasant, after taste in ones mouth and I must say I'd have to agree with that. I really like this brew, even though it is quite strange, sweeter than most people seem to enjoy (I gave it 3.0 because of its sweetness in drinkability), and, as much as I hate to say it, it comes from AnheuserBusch. 'Tis a day of great shame, for I have spoken praise to A&B.

SilentSabre, Sep 02, 2003
1.5/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Bright deep gold color, creamy short term head that quickly becomes large bubbles and then fades. Smells of apple and adjunct, I can't detect any honey in the nose. First impression is of one dimensional sweetness. No bitterness, but is lightly sharp from the carbonation. Not much to taste except the sweetness. Quite a disgusting beer, I must admit that I threw it out. Tastes like a macro with a tablespoon of sugar added.

Gueuzedude, Aug 25, 2003
3.25/5  rDev +31%

This brew pours a nice white head of small bubbles and leaves behind a nice lacing as it recedes. It has an aroma of honey and some malt. I rather like the taste of this brew for the money. It has a nice honey malty flavor and is very smooth. There is a mild aftertaste that leaves a nice flavor in your mouth. All in all, it is a good all-round drinking beer. I just wish I could get it more when I go out.

TheDM, Jul 12, 2003
3.33/5  rDev +34.3%

Another "Mega-Brew" comes to play and does well. I liked this beer. I wouldn't think it to be too sweet like others have suggested bu t they are right, one can definitely smell the honey.

Tasted faily sweet but not too bad, it even had an after taste of banannas which I found really interesting. I'm not saying we should call this a "Banana-weisen" ;) but for a hot afternoon grilling, it was good.

Ahhdball, Jun 16, 2003
2.98/5  rDev +20.2%

16 oz pint. I was surprised to see this one on tap last night at Pep's Sea Grill in Jupiter, FL. Sadly, It was the best they had to offer.
Pale yellow to golden color. Faint fizzy white head left by the time the glass made it to my table. Sweet cornwater smell combined with thick honey. Not unpleasant at all. Honey was noticable but not overwhelming.
Taste is slick and sweet for sure. Lots of honey flavors, front and back. Famialer AB cornwater taste as well. No hops at all. None. A touch more pleasing than I anticipated though. Slick, sweet finish. Nearly syrupy, not to be guzzled but it did okay against Bud, Budlight, and Miller Lite on tap.

StevieW, May 11, 2003
2.73/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours typical yellow, decent carbonation. Only a slight head. The smell is sweet and inviting. Taste is sweet, but not overpoweringly so. You get the honey taste pretty strong, so any malt is hidden. Hops are decent. Finishes with a sweet honey aftertaste. I don't like honey brews, and this hasn't changed my opinion.

Rifrafboy, Mar 24, 2003
2.55/5  rDev +2.8%

Leftover from the Ales and Lagers Winter 12 pack. Pours a straw color, with thin carbonation, the thin head disseminates rapidly. Very faint honey and grainy smell. The honey taste stays throughout with somewhat of a bad syrup feel left on the palate. The idea is right, a decent balance of the honey, but a bit tough to drink; however, might be one of the better Michelob brews, still . . .

GeoffRizzo, Mar 08, 2003
2.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I dont know why I try all these odd flavored beers. This pours a dark gold with a fast fading head which turns to a lace. The aroma of honey is there, not much of anything else. The taste has a bit malt but is over ran with honey, a bit too much for me. I would like a slight hint of it. Not bad but nothing that I would drink again.

Stubbie1, Feb 12, 2003
2.63/5  rDev +6%

Pour this hard and you get a get head, there isn't a lot of carbonation. Leaves a lace. Pale orange color and a faint honey nose. Very light bodied but better than a Mic lager. Very definite taste of honey and finishes with smooth malt/honey flavor. The ABV is 4.9%.

jdhilt, Feb 05, 2003