Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros

vicsju1991, Nov 21, 2011

peppyrhonda, Jun 24, 2014

dubmax, Jul 26, 2012

All said and done this beer is great. If your homeless like me. On a good day I can make about $30 by pan-handling, on average more like $9, this beer is perfect. Being a lifetime alcoholic three of these bad boys (about $3,50) got me wicked friggin buzzed khed. For what Hurricane is, it's worth the price. It allows me to sleep drunkenly in below freezing temperatures, deal with my painful gout, teeth and side effects of hepatitis. This is the best bum beer ever. While some of my rival fellow bums spend up
To $5.00 on steel reserves and 4loko, I can get piss drunk off three cans for less than four bucks and still afford a couple mcChickens and a hit of dope. God bless America. "Hurricane, the homeless' Heady Toper"

Dugganheimer978, Feb 21, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +77.8%

dylntbrown, Dec 10, 2013

RobertColianni, Mar 18, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +64.4%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared clear gold with a 2 finger frothy/sticky head with better retention than most Malts out there. Lots of carbonation can be seen, and lacing was spotted but definitely worth a mention, overall a very fresh look. Smelled of a semi sharp twang, fruity apple/grape/raisin/and banana with only subtle metallic characteristics to it and definite astringent qualities. Sweet overall with musky, stale malt underneath the fruity, sharp aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of a sharp metallic twang with fruitiness, semi sweet banana/strawberry but not as strong as in the smell, Following is a somewhat rough artificial, astringent like bitterness, which is more pronounced as it warms. Finishing flavors consist of musky, stale malt, clean rice notes and some decent bitterness. Mouthfeel was very smooth, thin, and lite-medium bodied, really compliments the flavor profile perfectly.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - First off let me say that if your drinking this brew, you must be looking for a good buzz. Assuming that's the case, I think this is one of the smoothest HG Malts out there, at times it got a little offensive, but nothing near other HG Malts with around the same ABV. I could easily drink as many as I wanted with this beer, knowing that I'm getting the most for my money, flavor & ABV wise. This one was pretty smooth considering how much alcohol was in it, I definitely recommend this for someone that's low on cash, looking for a good buzz, and not wanting to settle for Steel Reserve or worse. Cheers!

PintOHops, Aug 17, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +62.3%

This is a very interesting malt liquor and probably the best one on the market. Anheuser-Busch obviously took great care in developing this beer. It has a thick, white head, a deep golden and very clear appearance, and not many bubbles. Aroma is spicy and sharp, but faint. Hurricane HG has a very (and surprisingly) mild taste for a product with such a high (8.1%) alcohol level. This drink starts smooth and finishes so, but too much of this could definitely bring a person to his knees. Mouth feel is very heavy, but not unpleasant. I really like Hurricane HG.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Mar 19, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +61.1%

Bought this at a "quick stop" convenience store in Festus, MO on my way to Bonne Terre. When I got to my destination, I pulled out my Hurricane High Gravity Lager and poured it. Appearance was average, it looked like a typical malt liquor. Smell was grainy. Taste was smooth, smoother than Steel Reserve. No alcohol burn like the reserve. It was slick and coated my tougnue perfectly. I'd have this again in a heartbeat.

AlimonyAle, Oct 20, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +59%

I first tried this beer out of curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised. For the money, it is probably one of the best cans of beer you can buy. I usually go for the ICE beers, and this is considerably better than those. I recommend that you give it a try, and the quick buzz never hurt either!!!

sghert, Jun 09, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +56.9%

Bstrickler, Jun 26, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +54%

This high gravity lager was served as part of a blind tasting and I found it very interesting! A little darker that most lagers at 3 SRMs and some head and attempts at lace dispite the 8.1% abv. I thought the taste very clean and a little smoother and more complex than I would have guessed. Some hops help the finish and overall add to an interesting high gravity brew. Hoping to tour A-B and try some more from their pilot brews.

As easy as Hurricane H-G drinks I can see how it could create some serious problems for those who don't respect alcohol.

karst, Jul 10, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +54%

I've been drinking Hurricane High Gravity (HHG) since before the switch from the Black Label variety to the newer Silver Label variety. While I much prefer the taste of the now unavailable Black Label HHG, on with the watered-down Silver Label it is.

HHG has three major selling points:
1. It is available EVERYWHERE beer is sold in the U.S. (with the exception of those wacky states that limit ABV %, where it is probably sold as Hurricane [sans HG.])
2. It is always either the cheapest or near cheapest beer available regardless of ABV %.
3. It is very easy to drink.

OK head, but good lacing on this with a darker than expected roasted color.

Smell is not a strong point. Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol, and banana bread. Banana bread vodka? There is some type of a rotting/off-putting smell present that decreases as the beer warms.

Taste isn't as bad as the smell, thankfully. As I mentioned, probably the high gravity with the least taste. Sweet up front and dry at the end. Bitter if it is ice cold, sweet if it is warm. I think I taste some grain in there somewhere. That is about it.

Highly carbonated. Don't forget to burp. A little oily on the palate.

Drinkability is very high for the style. Drink with caution. I have heard tales of Hurricane High Gravity being used for Edward 40-Hands. Not good. Drinkability+8.1% ABV+Mass quantities=Be careful

I prefer my high gravities to have more flavor, something like St. Ide's or PitBull Ice. Having said that, it is hard to ignore the complete lack of flavor that is HHG. Iced tea has more flavor.

Although this isn't my favorite, citing the three selling points above I find myself contributing to A-B's profits quite often.

troobie, Jan 07, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24 oz can poured in a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - White seafoam head that disappears moderately quickly, and loudly. Sounds like Rice Crispies as the head dies. Clear copper-amber body with a small bit of carbonation.

Smell - Candy and corn. Clean, no off smells.

Taste - Harsh. Metallic. Bitter. Alcoholic. Metallic aftertaste lasts a few moments then the flavor vanishes. On subsequent sips, I notice trace amounts of underlying malty sweetness. Might make you shudder on your first sip, but actually not all that bad. Lives up to its name.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Slightly astringent.

Overall Drinkability - Not too bad for an American Malt Liquor. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink this for tasting purposes, but if catching a quick buzz on the cheap is your goal, then it's an interesting beer.

ZenAgnostic, Jun 24, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +48.5%

Big ass 24 oz can, almost looks like one of those energy drink cans. "Born On Date" on the bottom of the can.

A- Weather golden straw hue, great clarity as the bubbles race to the top to keep the thin but sturdy white lace afloat.

S- Clean but strong alcohol aroma, smells of really cheap vodka. Anyone remember Mr. Boston Vodka? Faint maltiness and cereal grain in the nose.

T&M- Very smooth in a medium body, a tad slick on the palate ... I would have expected a crisper palate for the style. Slightly malty with a cooked corn and horse feed flavor. Mild hop bitterness, just enough to balance. Alcohol has a spicy and warming sting. Finishes dry and clean with a lingering alcohol.

D- Perhaps one of the best malt liquors out there, no real astringent qualities to this at all ... certainly the cleanest malt liquor I have ever tasted. Went great with some homemade spinach dip and ritz crackers.

Jason, Mar 05, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +48.5%

24 oz can I got from Grub Mart in Jacksonville. I must note that this is the 6% version. Served in a brown paper bag.

A: What I did pour into a glass came out a bright yellow macro look. Had some heavy carbonation and a large foamy head. Head had no retention, but the head is not what I am after.

S: Smells like sweet corn and malt. Thats it, but it is actually pleasing. Nice sweet presence.

T: Taste is yet again of sweet corn and malt. This does taste a lot like a typical macro but it steps it up by not having any metallic taste that most macros have. Very pleasant flavor.

M: Light bodied brew with heavy carbonation. Crisp and clean on the finish. Goes down oh so easy.

D: Very drinkable. This was actually not that bad. I would drink another and many more. If I am in a bind I will go pick up a 24 oz of this baby. Can't beat it for the price.

everetends, Sep 04, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +46.4%

Poured a 24 ounce can into an imperial pint glass.

This brew pours with a decent head that not surprisingly, quickly dissipates. That said, it's an inexpensive malt liquor, so what do you expect?

Although my experience with malt liquors is very limited, it's strange because trying out a few of them is almost like a morbid curiosity for a beer geek. Everybody knows they are pretty much supposed to be bad tasting brews that are noting more than a cheap, easy way to get intoxicated.

All of that aside, every style of beer must be reviewed for what it is and more importantly, compared to others within it. As stated above, I have limited experience with malt liquors, but based on the taste, this one isn't bad at all. There actually is some malt taste there, along with some white grape like fruitiness, corn, and a mild hop bite to balance out the sting of alcohol which is universal for the style, especially considering this one is >8% ABV. There is little aftertaste, and this one actually doesn't leave a lingering sting of alcohol that is unbearable in some malt liquors.

I am guessing at BA, we are all pretty much beer lovers who are supposed to appreciate beer because of the taste. I don't make a regular habit of drinking this stuff, but I am not going to lie---there is a time and a place for drinking a cheap, very high ABV, no-brainer brew that will make you feel good and fuzzy inside, and is ridiculously cheap. Honestly, of all the AB products, I actually consider this to be one of the best ones----decent taste (none of that terrible sour rice flavor of Budweiser), cheap price, great buzz, and overall easy drinking.

AustinBeerLvr, Jan 08, 2011

JohnSmith5506, Feb 06, 2013

aqualung23, Dec 24, 2013

JeffTheJuice, Apr 25, 2012

MaddDogg84, Oct 04, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +45.6%

High gravity awesome!

no need to give details just because of the style but this ML by AB is one of the best to pick up for the price and ABV. at only $1.29 a tallboy. this is the cheap way to party! the taste is cleaner than most ML and a slight note of real hops is tasteable! does not give the after alcohol burn that most ML do.

dankster, Oct 15, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Golden color, nice white head, actually leaves some lacing. Some corn and grain noticed in the smell, even some banana maybe, and a small hop presence. Taste starts out fairly clean but has a grainy and floral finish. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. I really expected this to suck, but I'm glad I tried it, it's actually alright. This could get dangerous considering what you get for the price.

badbeer, Jul 15, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I CAN't believe that there is not a picture for this beer. CAN you?

It began with a finger of bone-white head, but it quickly reduced to mere wisps. The color was a deep golden amber with NE-quality clarity. Bubbles were evident in the beer due to his high clarity. It had a real BUPGOO look to it. Nose had a definite lager sweetness along with a fruity quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a berry-like sweetness - strawberry, red raspberry (along those lines) on the tongue. Finish was somewhat dry with that berry quality lingering well after the swallow. Frankly, not bad for a CANned malt liquor.

woodychandler, Aug 26, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +44.4%

The best malt liquor I have had. Despite its high ABV, it's better tasting than many other A-B products I have sampled. And it's cheap. Give it a shot. See what you think. It may not suit you. But if so, ask: Is it really worse than some other (non-malt) macros you have drunk recently? If not, why shouldn't you keep it in your (occasional) rotation?

IJReilly, Jul 29, 2010