Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros

Faint spice and sweet malt aroma. It's exactly the same color as your piss when you're dehydrated. Head disappears immediately. Flavor of sweet malt and skunky medicine. Hides the alcohol pretty well. It's just plain awful but if you need to get drunk with the change in your couch this is the one for you. (306 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -59.4%

Wow, a C-, No Way! Really!

I'm not a beer snob, but I have to draw the line somewhere, I didn't know if I should put this in the gas tank, use it to kill weeds, or cockroaches.

I actually do drink some malt liquors, but this smelled and tasted like fuel, less calories, but a really strong alcohol aftertaste-pass on this one... (331 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This is from a 24oz can.

A- A slightly darker yellow than a Budweiser. Leaves a good amount of frothy head and a tiny bit of lacing.

S- Musky corn, alcohol

T- It tastes like a very corn forward beer and alcohol. Very little, if any malt. Metal taste. Once it warms up, the alcohol taste is #1 and the corn is even more evident.

D- I don't find this too drinkable, unless it's super cold.

M- It has a good amount of carbonation, light although slick.

O- Overall, I feel this is just a high abv% corn based beer with no malt in it. I thought it would be a nice malty malt liquor, but this was not the case. I'm pretty disappointed in this. (645 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -52.8%

Goldish color with a white head. A bitter grassy nose makes me quiver. The taste is no better. Alcohol and old feed corn. The body is light and has enough carbonation for 80 ounces of liquor. And yes, this is liquor, not beer. It drinks like liquor as well. (257 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -52.8%

There was a post recently about the glories of high ABV malt liquors, so I thought I'd relive the college days and grab one.

Pours a light yellow gold, surprisingly small white foam head that quickly vanished, leaving an ominous looking beer of that certain yellow color.

Smells like sweet grainy corn. Awful. Taste was also awful. Sweet corniness, and a husky, earthy bite to it that was pretty foul.

What was I thinking? (426 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -51.6%

A - Dark orange color

S - Pretty bad. Heavy alcohol smell. Doesn't really smell like any type of beer.

T - Gross. this is not good. The alcohol overpowers any flavor that might be there. It's a little fruity but that's about all that comes through.

M - Ehh OK. Very thin, bubbly similar to an energy drink.

D - Almost none. This isn't even good to drink if you're looking to get hammered despite the high alcohol content. It takes forever to choke this down.

I don't recommend this at all. (495 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -51.6%

Aroma is - hello? Aroma! I don’t get a whiff of anything that resembles beer. It pours a clear yellow with a fairly thick and fluffy white head, but this is the brew’s strongest point. Flavor is at least present, but it is just malty, no complexity or depth, and leaves a tinny aftertaste. Texture is smooth, a bit thin, and barely fizzy at all. I bought it just to try something different. At least it helps me appreciate craft brews. (439 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -50.4%

Okay, I honestly thought these reviews were a little overdramatic...but oh was I wrong; so so wrong.

Poured from a 24oz can into my Paulaner mug (hah!)

A - A bit darker than your typical straw yellow macro. Nice fluffy head that dissipates faster than you can count to 3.

S - Like it was trying to be a macro beer but something went horribly wrong and a sour smell emerged (as if that wasn't enough).

T - Alright...this is unlike any beer i've ever tried. Let's say you take a can of macro beer, pour a bunch of water in it to water it down even more, then add some pure grain alcohol to it. Gah, i'm trying to type this description out while forcing this shit down. The alcohol bitterness just won't go away.

M - Despite the description I gave for the taste, it's not too watery.

D - I wish there was a rating below 1.0 because it needs it. It feels like i'm complimenting it by giving it that rating. You're going to need to be drunk off your ass before you drink any of this.

Worst.Beer.Ever (1,001 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -50%

Had this one a few times in college, it's disgusting.

The alcohol is not hidden in the slightest, it sits overtop of a big corny sweet and slightly syrupy body. Very grainy and husky, and just not tasty at all. (211 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -47.6%

Tall can bought from the grocery store

Had never heard of this before but it was only a buck or two, so I figured I would try it and wish I would not have

Horrible smell and a sweet taste which is a really ba mixture with a malt liquor

Light brown color with no head, could not even finish the whole can it was so bad

Stay away from this even if it is high gravity (368 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can.

Clear straw gold. Fizzy head that is gone in an instant.
ugh...aroma reminds me of nail polish. Alcohol & corn are the only things I can pick up..
Doesn't taste absolutely horrible, but very bland... flat, grainy cornflake flavor with a metallic twinge at the end.

Malt liquors like this really make me question why they put them in 16, 24, & 40 oz containers.. this would be absolutely awful if not ice cold. Thank God there's Alpha King in my fridge that can help me remove this vile taste from my mouth. (524 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -45.7%

No Hurricane used to be my favorite when is was younger. I used to grab a 40 of it and have a good time. Unitl i tried other beers and realized what i was drinking. This stuff is strong man infact maybe a little to strong at 8.10 abv. But the good thing about this beer is that it is very cheap and if your ever running low on cash and want to get drunk QUICK go and grab a High Gravity.

quantity not quality. (412 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured from 25oz can into a pint glass. This is billed as "Category 5" -- yet somehow I don't expect to be blown away.

Appearance: light gold hue with no haze and light effervescence. The fizzy white head dissipated almost immediately.

Smell: light and sweet with just a little plastic. Mostly inoffensive.

Taste: sweet and plasticy with just a general off-flavor. Ugh, I'm really not fond of this. It's also sour -- and not in a good way.

Mouthfeel: very light body with a moderate effervescence. Not interesting.

Overall: this is just an unfortunate beer. Its flavor is bad *for the style*, which is really saying something. (642 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -43.7%

Pours a pale golden color with a thick white head and a little lacing. Smells of sweetness like creamed corn and a little grass. Tastes a lot like corn and booze mixed together like ethanol or something would. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability is well below average. (275 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -41.3%

Drink the worst beers first just to get them out of the way. It pours okay, light piss yellow with a fair head that doesn't die. The smell is, oh my god, sweet like Camo tastes, so gross. The taste is bad at best, sorta, not really sweet with a strong bitter taste that rounds it out, but try chugging and that old sweet taste rears its head. BARF! The mouthfeel is terrible- watery with carbonation that coats your mouth. With this taste and mouthfeel you know the drinkability is going to be shitty. There are much better malt liquors out there. Best case scenario this is an alternative to the Camos. (603 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -40.2%

Bought this can at the local gas station. This beer poured fairly well with a nice amber orange hue. For a cheap lager it looked good. Smell was corn with a bit of pepper. The taste was as it smelled, lot's of corn. I could not finish this beer and as it got warmer drinkability got worse. (289 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -38.6%

I bought it expecting it to be your ordinary, run of the mill flavorless cheap malt liquor. Boy was I wrong! The moment I got this stuff in my mouth I wished I had just left it in the cooler. One of my buddies described it as "liquid ass," and I don't think he was far off. (273 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -38.6%

Our corner shop doesn't have much variety, so I tend to try anything new that they get in. Dark gold-brown beer with not much head but lots of carbonation. Smells of musty corn and metal. It tastes, well, bad. Like watery, stale ginger ale with a hint of copper. I'm not picky at all when it comes to beer (you'll often find Natty Light or PBR in my fridge), but this is one that I won't ever be drinking again. (411 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -37.8%

Purchased @ North Nashua Market Basket , can's born-on date exactly 30 days ago. As part of a beer-slum run, I bought this with some similar beers for the hell of it. Can looks like the energy drinks popular with the MTV crowd, therefore the 8.1% ABV is trumpeted on the front packaging.
Pours a lovely shade of... corn (mmm!) into a 22oz pilsner glass. Produces a 2 finger head with a 4 second half-life, settling to lace around the glass' rim. Very little visible carbonation afterwards.
Smells like a corn beer. If you've ever made a thin homebrew with corn sugar having replaced 60% of the malt extract... that's what you get. The carbonation that's not visible in the glass is apparent in the mouth (fizz bomb), and this overpowers all taste except the green-apple corn snap.
m- No body, strong fizz bomb with alcohol bite.
d- With less carbonation and less alcohol and a smaller container, this might be a Bud-Lite weak beer that at least serves as summer refreshment. Here, we have a not-very-enjoyable beer, whose primary mission seems to be intoxication for 99 cents. (1,076 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I only put serving type as bottle because a 40 was not an option. I've actually had this a few times but that is probably because I'm in college and because I'm cheap. It pours a light yellow with almost not head. The taste is like licking a metal fence. It really does not go down well and the 8.10% can really put you on your ass. I'm still hungover and its 7pm. Thanks High Grav. (382 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -33.5%

A- pours a dark golden "dehydrated pee in the morn. after drinking all night" color w/ a thick white head which quickly dissaptes leaving little lace in my pilsner glass

S- typical macro nose, vinous rice wine and alcohol

T- think BL+ a shot of cheap vodka, then throw in an ice cube

M- pretty thick for a macro malt liquor, plenty of co2 as well

D- prob. the most alcohol you can get for 5 quarters, wish i could give it a 0, esp. as it warms, if you're hard up enough to drink this do yourself a favor, dig up the other 3 quarters and get youself a vicodin (562 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -32.7%

For the price this is pretty damn good, for the quality...eh..Good beer for getting a quick buzz though....

A: Looks pretty average, pours a corn yellow and has a decently long lasting head with a sort of light brown body. Nothing special.

S: Smells a bit spicy, with cheap-o malts. Kinda drunk now.

T: Tastes spicy with a bit of a seltzer taste. I get an aftertaste of olives, along with a slight unpleasent dryness. Not impressed.

M: The taste makes it a bit hard going down, eh.

D: A slight acidic burn to the backof my throat after a drink. With the taste, some might heave.

Bottom Line, if you need a bit of a pick me up, had a bad day at work, and/or low on cash, this is your beer of choice. Although it's it's not much for taste. (761 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Hurricane High Gravity Lager pours a dark amber from a 24oz aluminum pop top can. Born on date printed on the bottom of the can is 06 JUL 05 for this review. Head goes to well over three fingers of light tan finely packed bubbles before turning ever so slightly rocky and collapsing to a firm cap of foam with a good amount of lacing on the sides of my glass.

Nose is a damp sweet corn adjunct with alcohol vapors. Palate is cloy sweet corn adjunct with the warmth of the 8.1% alcohol on the lips, the tongue, and the tummy. There is a bitter hops component to this profile but the bitter is battered down with the cloy sweet corn before much of an impression can be made on the senses. The level of carbonation is more than enough for a pleasing presentation pouring, but not strong enough to move this very viscus fluid away from the taste buds on my tongue, so the sting of carbonation is not a predominant factor with this brew.

Hurricane High Gravity Lager with its eye pleasing colour and a good head of foam complete with lacing plus the 8.1% alcohol by volume will win some beer drinkers over to the HGL side... but it’s once around the block for me. (1,165 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -31.5%

Visual:
Clear, pale yellow body. Massive white puffy head; but then it went away. Big ol' bubbles rising within the glass - almost champagne-like.

Aroma:
Meh... Very bready and stale with the malt. Quite noticeable alcohol mixed with some funky cooked veggies (seems to be a reoccurring theme with these cheap high gravities). Absolutely no hops, just moldy bread in the nose and finish.

Taste:
On par with the aroma, only sweeter. Lots of malty sweetness and stale astringent notes. Quite bitter in the finish with veggie flavors all over the place. There is a funky yeast taste that seems to be riding on the back of the booziness. No hops. Dry/bitter aftertaste.

Overall:
Nope. Not enjoyable. No balance. No complexity. And I think I tasted more alcohol than there actually was in the beer; and that's saying something considering the abv.
Would pair horribly with everything. (882 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Color and clarity are fine. They look about like any other American Pale Lager or Adjunct Lager. Head is white, even, thin, and soon gone. Aroma favors "liquor"/alcohol and esters over "malt", and may be influenced by adjunct (corn I presume). Hops are non-existent or maybe masked in this brew. Perhaps the faintest presence in the aftertaste. Alcoholic sweetness carries the day. Feel is pretty standard and benign. Fairly smooth and crisp, decent carbonation, warming. I wouldn't recommend drinking more than one of these in a sitting, and that has nothing to do with its high ABV. It's just too sweet and lacking in beer character that I've come to expect from even the most basic adjunct lagers. 16 ounces was a struggle. I can only imagine what 25 would be like. I had a headache before halfway through, and I suspect the sugar more than I do the alcohol. (861 characters)

Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch