Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
Ratings: 289 | Reviews: 161
1.58/5  rDev -34.2%

Purchased @ North Nashua Market Basket , can's born-on date exactly 30 days ago. As part of a beer-slum run, I bought this with some similar beers for the hell of it. Can looks like the energy drinks popular with the MTV crowd, therefore the 8.1% ABV is trumpeted on the front packaging.
Pours a lovely shade of... corn (mmm!) into a 22oz pilsner glass. Produces a 2 finger head with a 4 second half-life, settling to lace around the glass' rim. Very little visible carbonation afterwards.
Smells like a corn beer. If you've ever made a thin homebrew with corn sugar having replaced 60% of the malt extract... that's what you get. The carbonation that's not visible in the glass is apparent in the mouth (fizz bomb), and this overpowers all taste except the green-apple corn snap.
m- No body, strong fizz bomb with alcohol bite.
d- With less carbonation and less alcohol and a smaller container, this might be a Bud-Lite weak beer that at least serves as summer refreshment. Here, we have a not-very-enjoyable beer, whose primary mission seems to be intoxication for 99 cents.

1.33/5  rDev -44.6%

Tall can bought from the grocery store

Had never heard of this before but it was only a buck or two, so I figured I would try it and wish I would not have

Horrible smell and a sweet taste which is a really ba mixture with a malt liquor

Light brown color with no head, could not even finish the whole can it was so bad

Stay away from this even if it is high gravity

1.81/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottle Inspection: Can lists 8.1% abv., born on date of 18OCT06 (sampled 06SEP07, I like my malt liquor aged a bit).

Aroma: Sweet candy smell like sweet tarts, a peppery note, some bread, and a slight burn in the nostrils tells me that they weren’t kidding about the abv.

Appearance: Gentle first pour gave a 3 finger head that died back quickly leaving sticky lace. Glass is hazy and amber yellow.

Flavor: Oof. Full grainy malt base with a fair dose of corn gives a cloying sweetness. Minor grassy note might be hops. The sweetness does manage to cover the alcohol taste, but nothing can hold back the kick.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body triggers a lip smacking chew. Carbonation level is high, and it dries out like a desert morning for some reason.

Overall Impression: A bit for my homies, the brown paper bag, out on the curb. This is low rent beer with one thing in mind; lowering IQ scores. While I enjoy some malt liquors, this is pretty harsh stuff. It’s a wort sweetness that kills this. It may start with a High Gravity, but it doesn’t get low enough.
Thanks to Pegasus for the sample.

2.6/5  rDev +8.3%

Ok seriously I had to. There was a forty of this on sale at the local gas sattion for a buck, cmon how can you pass that up, espeially when you have already had a long night. This review is gonna be messy I know it but what the hell right. Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

2.19/5  rDev -8.8%

24 oz. can of an 8.1% brew, for $1.09, couldn't pass this up,

A: Good appearance, actually amber in colour, with a white head, which initially leaves lots of lacing, but by the end of the can, there is little to no head, even with a swirl.

S: Really nothing, besides a few corn notes, a little bit of solventy alcohol.

T: Tastes mostly of alcohol and a few grain notes, OK in the beginning, but then it becomes sweet and cloying.

M: The lightest 8.1% beer, that I have ever tasted, it feels like a light lager with a bit of solvent.

D: Not a bad macro, this will get you drunk in a hurry, but try to keep it cold, opposite of what I would say about most high alcohol brews.

It's funny because we only get a 6% version of this in Vermont.

Pours a medium yellow color with a nice amount of carbonation. Smells of corn adjunct with alcohol mixed in. Nothing impressive there. Typical malt liquor. Sweet smell by the way. Taste is much of the same except that it feels too thin to be good. Also, the sweetness is almost too much

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%

Big can of 8.1%,wow!
It poured a nice looking copper/bronze. Dirty white head that managed to Rather nice.

The aroma was malted corn and grain.

The taste carried that malty base backed by the cooked corn. Slight hints of grass, hey and metal with an alcoholic overtone.

Drinkability is smooth, not to hindering. Easy to drink with a meal but watch thisone. The can is big & as is the abv. The price is good and easy to go to far to quickly.

1.38/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can.

Clear straw gold. Fizzy head that is gone in an instant.
ugh...aroma reminds me of nail polish. Alcohol & corn are the only things I can pick up..
Doesn't taste absolutely horrible, but very bland... flat, grainy cornflake flavor with a metallic twinge at the end.

Malt liquors like this really make me question why they put them in 16, 24, & 40 oz containers.. this would be absolutely awful if not ice cold. Thank God there's Alpha King in my fridge that can help me remove this vile taste from my mouth.

2.2/5  rDev -8.3%

$1.10 for a 24oz can of 8% brew! What a deal! I couldn't pass this up when I saw it at the gas station.

A - Orangey gold and pretty clear. Has a quickly fading 1 finger head of fluffy foam. Eventually, only a collar and some smokey bubbles lie on top of the beer.

S - Corny adjuntcs and the slightest whiff of alcohol. One of the least offensive malt liqours out there. Nice.

T - Sweet corn and some pretty decent hop flavors. This is the hoppiest malt liquor that I've tried by far. This actually tastes pretty damn good if you drink it quickly while still cold. Once it gets warm its all over....this one becomes pretty rot-gut once the crisp cold refreshing flavor turns to warm syrupy crap.

M - LIghter bodied than I would have guessed. Pretty neutral and unnoffensive...the alcohol is well hidden. Warmth = syrupy textures, so drink this quickly.

D - Pretty damn good. My favorite "high gravity malt liqour so far."

3.76/5  rDev +56.7%

I first tried this beer out of curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised. For the money, it is probably one of the best cans of beer you can buy. I usually go for the ICE beers, and this is considerably better than those. I recommend that you give it a try, and the quick buzz never hurt either!!!

2.23/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One more daring dash through the gas station. This beer was liberated from the can and poured into my pub glass. The beer was served super cold out of the freezer. My glass hasnt shattered yet so I guess it is time.

Appearance: This beer actually looks like a beer in my glass. The body of the beer has a golden yellow coloration. The head of the beer is a thin white coloration. The bubbling active carbonation helps maintain the head.

Smell: The beer has a spicey corney malty smell. The spiceyness has to be from the alcohol. The alcohol is smells sort of like Papov dilute vodka or something similar.

Taste: The beer is pretty two dimensional. The flavors are alcohol infused corn maltyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a body that is just shy of medium. The carbonation is active but not problematic. The alcohol is actually stinging. Yuck! Due to stinging alcohol this isnt particularly drinkable. It doesnt approach a sink pour but not good.
I wont be drinking this one again.

1.52/5  rDev -36.7%

Bought this can at the local gas station. This beer poured fairly well with a nice amber orange hue. For a cheap lager it looked good. Smell was corn with a bit of pepper. The taste was as it smelled, lot's of corn. I could not finish this beer and as it got warmer drinkability got worse.

1.71/5  rDev -28.8%

For the price this is pretty damn good, for the quality...eh..Good beer for getting a quick buzz though....

A: Looks pretty average, pours a corn yellow and has a decently long lasting head with a sort of light brown body. Nothing special.

S: Smells a bit spicy, with cheap-o malts. Kinda drunk now.

T: Tastes spicy with a bit of a seltzer taste. I get an aftertaste of olives, along with a slight unpleasent dryness. Not impressed.

M: The taste makes it a bit hard going down, eh.

D: A slight acidic burn to the backof my throat after a drink. With the taste, some might heave.

Bottom Line, if you need a bit of a pick me up, had a bad day at work, and/or low on cash, this is your beer of choice. Although it's it's not much for taste.

2.51/5  rDev +4.6%

You know... for a bum beer, this isn't bad...

I'm used to swilling 211 or old english when i want to get crunk/drunk/blitzed/gone on a severe budget.

my preferred choice is rainier ale 40oz bottles...

but this stuff... it almost tastes like regular bullshit lager (budweiser/miller/etc)

i can actually swig this and not feel like a yak just pissed in my mouth.

this is my new malt liquor of choice. when i need to buy a beer for $1 and absolutely need to get trashed really quick, i'm drinking Hurricane High Gravity!

It has very little sour malt aftertaste, and doesn't feel horrible in the mouth. not great, but not horrible. i can stand drinking this stuff, possibly more than one.

When you're broke and need to get pissed, grab a hurricane!

3.18/5  rDev +32.5%

I am actually a true lover of good beer, having begun drinking it legally at 18, distinguishing flavors right away (fire brewed Stroh's, for instance, had a distinct flavor that was quite nice, despite its reputation for extraordinary hangovers. Today's Stroh's is not bad for a scag beer, but is totally different from the original.) Back then, I only could try, as an alternative, non-American beers like Becks, Heineken, Labatt's 50, and such stuff.
When I first tasted Guinness, the idea of beer became kaleidoscopic. I was still only 18 or 19 then, turned on to it by my great friend Angus McDove. It became my favorite drink, although a plethora of fine imports became available, until many many years later when the micro brewery movement began - for me, with Bell's in my home town of Kalamazoo.
With that said, back to Hurricane.
I'm rating it as a high gravity beer, not as a good beer.
Among high gravity beers, this is my favorite so far.
I've had some nasty ones.
Let's face it, AB is competing for the best market share among those who don't kid themselves about wanting a buzz when they drink. For some, the reason may be a recent going to hell of a relationship, for others it may be habitual. There may be a zillion variations of motive, but the buzz is the main thing.
With that in mind, Hurricane is the cure. It, so far, is the easiest to drink because it basically tastes like beer instead of chemicals. Cheap hops (I concede a certain possibility of insecticide contamination) contribute a bitter lid to the mason jar of leftover malt. But I like malt and I can taste it. I've had some sad examples of Oktoberfest here in my brewing town, as well as in bottles; Oktoberfest! when malt reigns supreme, only to taste as much malt as I do in Hurricane. That says something for the maltiness of Hurricane, at least.
So, I rate it high among beers meant to do what beers are really meant to do.

1.81/5  rDev -24.6%

Can't beat $1.25 for 24oz can. Pours an orange color different from your usual lager. Smells like cheap lager. Tastes like crappy malt liquor, grainy, corn like, corn syrup and fusel alcohol. Mouthfeel is like water. If you need a buzz go for it, or if your poor sure why not. Otherwise it's not worth your time or attention.

2.12/5  rDev -11.7%

Sipped from a champagne flute.

A - Rich golden yellow with a three finger head that has fairly impressive retention and left a moderately size ring of lacing behind.

S - Strong rice, milder corn and sweat.

T - Pungent rice flavor with no hops whatsoever. It does have a funny alcohol taste, sort of like diluted isopropyl. Not good.

M - Thin, somewhat refreshing.

D - Not too bad. There are better malt liquor options, but the high gravity world require a less descerning palate. Not good for food. This is a crunk beer and nothing more.

2.11/5  rDev -12.1%

It's been a while since Malt Likkapalooza III, so it's high time to abuse my liver yet again with a couple more high-octane brawlers. This can of Missouri's own Hurricane High Gravity will be facing off against the pride of Wisconsin, Four O Malt Liquor. If it wants to claim the ML IV crown, Hurricane will have to 'Show Me' what it can do. Let's take off the gloves and commence the pummeling.

Dark golden amber with very few bubbles, topped with a fine-bubbled creamy head of yellowed newspaper white. Thin sheets of watery lace appear above the surface of the shrinking cap. The two appearances couldn't be much different, at least in the context of the style. Despite my usual preference for darker looking beer, Four O wins this round.

The nose is on the subdued side and is grainy sweet with a surprising amount of musky, almost body odor funky hops. I don't smell ethanol per se, but it's obvious that it's there. Again, it's hard to imagine two more different malt liquor aromas.

Hurricane is not good malt liquor (yes, they do exist). Alcohol plays too big a part in the flavor profile and sweet corn plays too little a part. In fact, the beer isn't very sweet at all. It's crisply toasted grainy, alcohol spicy, hoppy bitter and dry, especially on the parching finish. I didn't plan on finishing the entire 24 ounce can and I'm not sure that I'd have been able to on a bet.

The body is medium for the style; no greater than that due to the brewers' decision to create a less malty, less sweet, more crisp and clean version. No worries about the carbonation. Despite the fact that few bubbles are visible, they're present where it counts... in the mouth.

I haven't yet granted the scores, but it's apparent that Hurricane High Gravity has blown itself out in trying to topple Four O. The direction that A-B chose to take with this particular malt liquor is not the direction that I prefer my malt liquors to take. This one is best avoided.

3.45/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Golden color, nice white head, actually leaves some lacing. Some corn and grain noticed in the smell, even some banana maybe, and a small hop presence. Taste starts out fairly clean but has a grainy and floral finish. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. I really expected this to suck, but I'm glad I tried it, it's actually alright. This could get dangerous considering what you get for the price.

3.65/5  rDev +52.1%

This high gravity lager was served as part of a blind tasting and I found it very interesting! A little darker that most lagers at 3 SRMs and some head and attempts at lace dispite the 8.1% abv. I thought the taste very clean and a little smoother and more complex than I would have guessed. Some hops help the finish and overall add to an interesting high gravity brew. Hoping to tour A-B and try some more from their pilot brews.

As easy as Hurricane H-G drinks I can see how it could create some serious problems for those who don't respect alcohol.

2.42/5  rDev +0.8%

Hurrican High Gravity Lager came in a sixteen ounce can, it pours a clear orange with a white head. Smell is okay, particularly for a malt liquor. Mild, maybe a little sweetness in the aroma. Taste is definitely sweet, much more so than I expected. Finish is inoffensive, some corn, some alcohol. Better than many malt liquors.

1.93/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Highs: Price, 8.1% ABV
Lows: Acrid, chemical flavor

Pour: Pinkish/red orange yellow color with minimal carbonation. Thick creamy/fluffy head leaving plenty of lacing that fades quickly, leaving little residue. Nose is malty, grassy, and off-soapy. Taste is strongly of alcohol, straight upfront with a burning unpleasant chemical taste. I did not want to finish the 24 oz.. serving. Mouth is flat and watery; a bit sticky-sweet and cloying. Drinkability: ugh… why? I couldn’t finish the 24 oz. serving. Finish is wheat/grass/alcohol/bitter.

Overall: A purty strong malt liquor… plenty of bang for the buck. Unfortunately, I believe it is the worst "beer" I've ever tasted. Avoid.

1.92/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: 24oz can High Gravity another malt liquor during our sampling of varietal malt liquors, appears pale golden white head dwindles quickly leaves specks of lacing not too apetizing. Aroma: Chemical mix of alcohol corn and rice adjunct ridden tones with some creamed corn sweetness and evident alcohol at 8.1%. Taste: Cleaner in flavor than the last Camo consumed flows down with a touch of bitterness and corn and rice sweetness with alcohol being a dominant component of the flavor profile. Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a bit high body light-medium coats the palate with a layer of chemical lacquer. Drinkability: Well, not as bad as the worst malt liquor goes down with somewhat of a rough viscosity.

2.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Crystal clear solid gold, actually looks like a nice clean lager, even had a white head there for minute which fell to a solid ring that didn't go away. Bubbles were plentiful and huge...looked like those aerator rocks one would put in an aquarium. Slight grain smell, nothing off-putting, no skunk. Taste is actually not bad for about two-thirds of the way. Tastes like a Bud with some flavor. Smooth, no malty or corny cloying sweetness. Then, the alcohol hits with a isopropyl light level of warmth. Feels a lot bigger than 8%. There is a bit of bitterness in the finish too, but nothing especially trying or delicious. Mouthfeel is ok, has a decent enough body. Drinkability is rough because of the finish and the fact that you've got to keep it COLD. If this warms up, well, you never let a malt liquor get warm. Dirt cheap. Interesting if only for the comparison with other AB products.

Bought this and a King Cobra at a little convenience store in NC (hey, popping the cap meant this stuff would be available, too) on the way home from spring break. I think the bill with tax was $2.20.

3.05/5  rDev +27.1%

Product is dirt cheap and the can is purposefully ugly.

The appearance is slightly darker than mainstream macros. Not much of a head.

Aroma is grainy, think ethanol. Taste is just as good as AB's top sellers! Take that for what it's worth.

The finish is strange- wavers between grain and alcohol...
Still, given the context of high buzz cheap swill this stuff is drinkable.
It is what it is.