Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev +44.4%

The best malt liquor I have had. Despite its high ABV, it's better tasting than many other A-B products I have sampled. And it's cheap. Give it a shot. See what you think. It may not suit you. But if so, ask: Is it really worse than some other (non-malt) macros you have drunk recently? If not, why shouldn't you keep it in your (occasional) rotation?

IJReilly, Jul 29, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this canned greatness.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is strong corn. No doubt what this beer is brewed with. The flavor is very sweet corn with the slightest hint of orange citrus. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. For a macro-produced malt liquor this is not terrible, but compared to regular beers, this is one to avoid.

Mora2000, Jul 26, 2010
2.55/5  rDev +6.7%

24 oz can without a born on date, odd for an AB product. Pours a dark gold color with a frothy white foam that fades pretty slow for a ML. Leaves some lacing as well.

Nose is frighteningly sweet corn syrup and tropical, solvent alcohols. Candied yams and honey are present as well. Bold, but I am not exactly looking forward to the taste of this one...

Sweet, but not as much as I had feared and the alcohol is a bit more tame...still looms large, but not unbearable. Fruity alcohol and the honeyed adjuncts with zero hop presence make for an interesting beverage indeed. The mouthfeel is actually pretty creamy and full bodied for a malt licka. Not bad, but is far from my favorite version of the style. Many of the "High Gravity" offerings are tough to choke down, unsurprisingly.

twiggamortis420, Jun 12, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +36%

From 24 fl. oz. can no. 10055-NB64. Sampled on May 30, 2010. The pour is a highly carbonated golden yellow with a fizzy white head that shrinks quickly. The aroma has a tolerable malty note with a vague hoppiness too. The alcohol taste is better masked than I expected on this particular can. It really had a malted but corny flavor and left no aftertaste. Actually this was smoother than others I have had and I feel I should rate it higher than previous raters.

puboflyons, May 31, 2010
1.02/5  rDev -57.3%

Wow, a C-, No Way! Really!

I'm not a beer snob, but I have to draw the line somewhere, I didn't know if I should put this in the gas tank, use it to kill weeds, or cockroaches.

I actually do drink some malt liquors, but this smelled and tasted like fuel, less calories, but a really strong alcohol aftertaste-pass on this one...

AllFineThings, Mar 22, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +62.3%

This is a very interesting malt liquor and probably the best one on the market. Anheuser-Busch obviously took great care in developing this beer. It has a thick, white head, a deep golden and very clear appearance, and not many bubbles. Aroma is spicy and sharp, but faint. Hurricane HG has a very (and surprisingly) mild taste for a product with such a high (8.1%) alcohol level. This drink starts smooth and finishes so, but too much of this could definitely bring a person to his knees. Mouth feel is very heavy, but not unpleasant. I really like Hurricane HG.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Mar 19, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +28.9%

22 oz can designed with one purpose in mind.

A: Light shade of amber with a full but brief white head.

S: A surprising amount of sweet malt and a little of that pent-up industrial alcohol smell. Not nearly as adjunct-y as most malt liquors but the industrial smell picks up if you give the Hurricane time.

T: Again, a surprising amount of malt. There are some unpleasant flavors - some soapyness and metallic characters - but mainly sweet caramel malt, with some alcohol on the finish. Where's the corn flavor I've grown to expect?

M: Somewhat watery, but good relative to other beers within the style, with a very welcome light level of carbonation. In other words, they didn't carbonate the shit out of this like they do most cheap malt liquors.

Uhhh....'surprised' is definitely the word of choice. I thought this would be poor at best. It's actually good for the style and would not even rank in the worst 25% beers I've had. Everything about this beer at first appearance indicates it will be mass-produced swill with only the bottom line considered. Not sure that some of that isn't true, but it might be the best cheap high-gravity malt liquor I've had. Further proof that AB has the capability to brew good beer (if that ever becomes their goal).

GeezLynn, Mar 06, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +29.7%

Wow, the Hurricane.

poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass.

a: a slight yellow, with a quickly disappearing head.

s: a faint artificial fruit smell. With a strong hint of alcohol on the backbone.

t: artificial fruit notes, with a metallic and alcohol backbone.

m: Nothing to speak of, fairly smooth.

d: Surprisingly an enjoyable drink, but be warned it isn't for the faint of heart, and is not for someone who doesn't enjoy malts, otherwise it is a great brew, that has a decent flavor and a good alcohol content. Try it, and choose your side.

Lacesoutcody, Mar 02, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

A: The pour is a pale golden color with a very short lived white head.

S: The nose is not as bad as I expected, but certainly heavy on the alcohol. There is also a lot of sweet corn and rice and a slight sour and metallic tinge.

T: The flavor mimics the nose for the most part with a bit of a mineral taste to it. The alcohol is fairly pronounced as the beer is cold but just becomes more apparent as it warms.

M: The body is light with a high level of carbonation which is pretty much standard for malt liquors.

D: This is not really any worse than other malt liquors I have had, but I would say there are better options out there in this category. The booze is a bit too noticeable for me.

womencantsail, Feb 28, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured in a glass it is a darker yellow expected from malt liquor. The smell not so great I expected it to be a little stronger. The taste is rather decent considering the abv%. It is rather smooth with a light mouthfeel that finishes suprising clean with a hint of alcohol taste. For the price and abv% it works out nicely when you can't afford your favorite!

kdawg105, Feb 04, 2010

Faint spice and sweet malt aroma. It's exactly the same color as your piss when you're dehydrated. Head disappears immediately. Flavor of sweet malt and skunky medicine. Hides the alcohol pretty well. It's just plain awful but if you need to get drunk with the change in your couch this is the one for you.

exparte, Jan 17, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

Poured from a tall can into a glass, with born on date on bottom of the can. Pours out with little head and minimal carbonation. Bold yellow color, creamy film on top of the glass. Faint banana, smell along with extra sweetness. Flavor is not to complex, sweet flavor. Tastes of sugar and corn. Mouthfeel is pretty bland. Drinkable nature is okay. Paired okay with a cheese burger.

mtnbikerpa, Jan 15, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +54%

I've been drinking Hurricane High Gravity (HHG) since before the switch from the Black Label variety to the newer Silver Label variety. While I much prefer the taste of the now unavailable Black Label HHG, on with the watered-down Silver Label it is.

HHG has three major selling points:
1. It is available EVERYWHERE beer is sold in the U.S. (with the exception of those wacky states that limit ABV %, where it is probably sold as Hurricane [sans HG.])
2. It is always either the cheapest or near cheapest beer available regardless of ABV %.
3. It is very easy to drink.

OK head, but good lacing on this with a darker than expected roasted color.

Smell is not a strong point. Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol, and banana bread. Banana bread vodka? There is some type of a rotting/off-putting smell present that decreases as the beer warms.

Taste isn't as bad as the smell, thankfully. As I mentioned, probably the high gravity with the least taste. Sweet up front and dry at the end. Bitter if it is ice cold, sweet if it is warm. I think I taste some grain in there somewhere. That is about it.

Highly carbonated. Don't forget to burp. A little oily on the palate.

Drinkability is very high for the style. Drink with caution. I have heard tales of Hurricane High Gravity being used for Edward 40-Hands. Not good. Drinkability+8.1% ABV+Mass quantities=Be careful

I prefer my high gravities to have more flavor, something like St. Ide's or PitBull Ice. Having said that, it is hard to ignore the complete lack of flavor that is HHG. Iced tea has more flavor.

Although this isn't my favorite, citing the three selling points above I find myself contributing to A-B's profits quite often.

troobie, Jan 07, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mostly of alcohol, some malts. Taste is alcohol, a hint of malts and just a touch of sweetness. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall not terrible but nothing special here.

tone77, Dec 10, 2009
2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

I'm not very fond of malt liquor, before trying this one, i thought the best would be the 8.1° of alcohol. Turning to the analysis:

A: opaque ruby, rich head of foam, with Hg in the logo;

S: Soft, some industrial malt and eucalyptus, the good thing is that aluminum does not smell like in other cheap beers;

T: Good, with notes of malt, sugar and alcohol;

M: Sweet with a medium bitterness, slightly hides the alcohol content, strong body and acceptable carbonation;

D: Best liquor malt I've tasted.

The bad thing is after i drinked the half of the can, this beer bored me and didn't finished.

roddwolff, Nov 07, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Presentation:
24 oz. can poured into a cup. That's right. I said a cup. I'm tired of pouring these into nice glassware.

Visual:
Clear, pale yellow body. Massive white puffy head; but then it went away. Big ol' bubbles rising within the glass - almost champagne-like.

Aroma:
Meh... Very bready and stale with the malt. Quite noticeable alcohol mixed with some funky cooked veggies (seems to be a reoccurring theme with these cheap high gravities). Absolutely no hops, just moldy bread in the nose and finish.

Taste:
On par with the aroma, only sweeter. Lots of malty sweetness and stale astringent notes. Quite bitter in the finish with veggie flavors all over the place. There is a funky yeast taste that seems to be riding on the back of the booziness. No hops. Dry/bitter aftertaste.

Overall:
Nope. Not enjoyable. No balance. No complexity. And I think I tasted more alcohol than there actually was in the beer; and that's saying something considering the abv.
Would pair horribly with everything.

Cheers!

dbmcrorie, Sep 04, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +44.4%

I CAN't believe that there is not a picture for this beer. CAN you?

It began with a finger of bone-white head, but it quickly reduced to mere wisps. The color was a deep golden amber with NE-quality clarity. Bubbles were evident in the beer due to his high clarity. It had a real BUPGOO look to it. Nose had a definite lager sweetness along with a fruity quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a berry-like sweetness - strawberry, red raspberry (along those lines) on the tongue. Finish was somewhat dry with that berry quality lingering well after the swallow. Frankly, not bad for a CANned malt liquor.

woodychandler, Aug 26, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +64.4%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared clear gold with a 2 finger frothy/sticky head with better retention than most Malts out there. Lots of carbonation can be seen, and lacing was spotted but definitely worth a mention, overall a very fresh look. Smelled of a semi sharp twang, fruity apple/grape/raisin/and banana with only subtle metallic characteristics to it and definite astringent qualities. Sweet overall with musky, stale malt underneath the fruity, sharp aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of a sharp metallic twang with fruitiness, semi sweet banana/strawberry but not as strong as in the smell, Following is a somewhat rough artificial, astringent like bitterness, which is more pronounced as it warms. Finishing flavors consist of musky, stale malt, clean rice notes and some decent bitterness. Mouthfeel was very smooth, thin, and lite-medium bodied, really compliments the flavor profile perfectly.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - First off let me say that if your drinking this brew, you must be looking for a good buzz. Assuming that's the case, I think this is one of the smoothest HG Malts out there, at times it got a little offensive, but nothing near other HG Malts with around the same ABV. I could easily drink as many as I wanted with this beer, knowing that I'm getting the most for my money, flavor & ABV wise. This one was pretty smooth considering how much alcohol was in it, I definitely recommend this for someone that's low on cash, looking for a good buzz, and not wanting to settle for Steel Reserve or worse. Cheers!

PintOHops, Aug 17, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 40 ounce bottle that cost less than $2.00 plus tax. Head was so small or unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention. Smell was grainy. Color was yellow. Taste was awful, typical of adjunct type lagers. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability, you got to be kidding. If you like hiigh ABV and a cheap price and you are real thristy, this brew is for you.

utah44, Aug 06, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +37.2%

Poured from a 24oz. can.

Pale golden with a rocky white head that fades quickly, large bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Steely grits, soft citrus and alcohol all mingle in the nose. Corn sugar and a slightly metallic graininess with a dry, clean finish. Alcoholic heat is felt, but it's not overpowering. Medium light bodied with massive, gassy carbonation. An above average malt liquor... if you can like the style for what it is.

biggred1, May 16, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -50.6%

There was a post recently about the glories of high ABV malt liquors, so I thought I'd relive the college days and grab one.

Pours a light yellow gold, surprisingly small white foam head that quickly vanished, leaving an ominous looking beer of that certain yellow color.

Smells like sweet grainy corn. Awful. Taste was also awful. Sweet corniness, and a husky, earthy bite to it that was pretty foul.

What was I thinking?

Overlord, May 11, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -13%

Continuing my downward spiral....
ISO: a damn job! FT: my empty cellar

So I'm trying to finish college (last quarter bitches!!) and the money situation, what with a wife, five kids, a mortgage, and no damn job, is in dire straights. On my way to crash out one particular evening I spy, with my sober eye, cans of Hurricane High Gravity for $1.09. Wow. Looks like it's time to try Hurricane High Gravity. Should provide the proper tune-up if nothing else.

Pours a clear gold. A fluffy sort of head stands up to yell and slowly recedes. Looks much better than I had anticipated.

Smells like vomit. Utterly repulsive. I had slightly, ever so slightly, higher expectations. I mean I thought it would smell bad, but vomit? Can I catch a break here? Another daring whiff, don't ask me why, brings rotted corn and oxidized tin. Truly, truly a shitty smelling beer. When scoring a beer, I hate to give out a '1' as much as I hate to give out a '5' but it's gonna happen here. In fact, I'm gonna drink the rest of this out of the can so I don't have to put my nose in this shit again.

Taste is astonishing. Not astonishinly good, but I'm fucking astonished that it doesn't taste as nasty as it smells. The flavor is very laid back, barely there at all, which is a HUGE improvement over the nose. Slight malted corn. Very light.

Turns out to be pretty damn smooth. Almost pleasing. It's like a lager mixed with water.

Drinkability: I can.

I can't lie: I actually bought two cans. Come on: a buck-nine? Murdered'em both. Was this a good beer? Hell no. Did it fulfil it's destiny and rationalize its existence? Yep.

Overall: Daddy out.

PatronWizard, Apr 24, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -31%

I only put serving type as bottle because a 40 was not an option. I've actually had this a few times but that is probably because I'm in college and because I'm cheap. It pours a light yellow with almost not head. The taste is like licking a metal fence. It really does not go down well and the 8.10% can really put you on your ass. I'm still hungover and its 7pm. Thanks High Grav.

iuhoosier336, Apr 03, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours clear, dark yellow with a thick creamy head.

Aroma is dry, and musty with subtle pale malt and a hint of lemon grass.

Taste is initially pale malt with generous corn adjunct sweetness. Finish turns slightly sour. Grainy and a touch metallic.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Inoffensive for the style. Very easy to drink for the ABV.

Blakaeris, Mar 31, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a thick creamy off white head.

Smell is just plain bad, very vegetal and old shoe mixed together.

The flavor is very corny and grainy with a bit of a long stale metallic flavor.

The mouthfeel is slightly thick with lots of carbonation.

Not as bad as I would have guessed, but still not something I would set out to drink.

bashiba, Mar 31, 2009