Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev +28.9%

Wow, the Hurricane.

poured from a 24 oz. can into a pint glass.

a: a slight yellow, with a quickly disappearing head.

s: a faint artificial fruit smell. With a strong hint of alcohol on the backbone.

t: artificial fruit notes, with a metallic and alcohol backbone.

m: Nothing to speak of, fairly smooth.

d: Surprisingly an enjoyable drink, but be warned it isn't for the faint of heart, and is not for someone who doesn't enjoy malts, otherwise it is a great brew, that has a decent flavor and a good alcohol content. Try it, and choose your side.

2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

A: The pour is a pale golden color with a very short lived white head.

S: The nose is not as bad as I expected, but certainly heavy on the alcohol. There is also a lot of sweet corn and rice and a slight sour and metallic tinge.

T: The flavor mimics the nose for the most part with a bit of a mineral taste to it. The alcohol is fairly pronounced as the beer is cold but just becomes more apparent as it warms.

M: The body is light with a high level of carbonation which is pretty much standard for malt liquors.

D: This is not really any worse than other malt liquors I have had, but I would say there are better options out there in this category. The booze is a bit too noticeable for me.

3.18/5  rDev +33.1%

Poured in a glass it is a darker yellow expected from malt liquor. The smell not so great I expected it to be a little stronger. The taste is rather decent considering the abv%. It is rather smooth with a light mouthfeel that finishes suprising clean with a hint of alcohol taste. For the price and abv% it works out nicely when you can't afford your favorite!

Faint spice and sweet malt aroma. It's exactly the same color as your piss when you're dehydrated. Head disappears immediately. Flavor of sweet malt and skunky medicine. Hides the alcohol pretty well. It's just plain awful but if you need to get drunk with the change in your couch this is the one for you.

3.28/5  rDev +37.2%

Poured from a tall can into a glass, with born on date on bottom of the can. Pours out with little head and minimal carbonation. Bold yellow color, creamy film on top of the glass. Faint banana, smell along with extra sweetness. Flavor is not to complex, sweet flavor. Tastes of sugar and corn. Mouthfeel is pretty bland. Drinkable nature is okay. Paired okay with a cheese burger.

4.15/5  rDev +73.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Unlike a majority of the reviewers, I've rated this WITHIN the style of AMERICAN MALT LIQUORS.

I've been drinking Hurricane High Gravity (HHG) since the black label, or first generation, was available. While I much prefer the taste of the now unavailable black label HHG, on with the seemingly watered-down silver label it is. I should note that it is my opinion there was a recipe change between the first generation label (black) HHG and the second generation label (silver) HHG, and that the newer recipe/taste is still being sold today. A-B InBev does not share my opinion. They lie and, due to being foreigners (InBev), I'd go so far as to call them malt liquor terrorists.

HHG has three major selling points:
1. It is available EVERYWHERE beer is sold in the U.S. (either as Hurricane High Gravity, or its little brother Hurricane [sans the HG and about 1/4 of the alcohol.])
2. It is either the cheapest or near cheapest beer available regardless of the high ABV.
3. It is easy to drink for a high gravity malt liquor.

A: OK head, but good lacing on this with a darker than expected roasted color.

S: Smell is not a strong point. Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol, and banana bread. Banana bread vodka? There is some type of a rotting/off-putting smell present that decreases as the beer warms.

T: Taste isn't as bad as the smell, thankfully. As I mentioned, probably the high gravity with the least taste. Sweet up front and dry at the end. Bitter if it is ice cold, sweet if it is warm. I think I taste some grain in there somewhere. That is about it.

M: Highly carbonated. Don't forget to burp. A little oily on the palate.

O: Drinkability is very high for the style. Drink with caution. I have heard tales of Hurricane High Gravity being used for Edward 40-Hands. Not good. Drinkability+8.1% ABV+Mass quantities=Be careful

Over the years this has become my favorite high gravity malt liquor. It's not easy to call a beer of this style refreshing, but I'd almost go that far with this one. A great high gravity to introduce friends to the style. Easy to drink, easy to find, easy on the wallet.

2.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mostly of alcohol, some malts. Taste is alcohol, a hint of malts and just a touch of sweetness. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall not terrible but nothing special here.

2.45/5  rDev +2.5%

I'm not very fond of malt liquor, before trying this one, i thought the best would be the 8.1° of alcohol. Turning to the analysis:

A: opaque ruby, rich head of foam, with Hg in the logo;

S: Soft, some industrial malt and eucalyptus, the good thing is that aluminum does not smell like in other cheap beers;

T: Good, with notes of malt, sugar and alcohol;

M: Sweet with a medium bitterness, slightly hides the alcohol content, strong body and acceptable carbonation;

D: Best liquor malt I've tasted.

The bad thing is after i drinked the half of the can, this beer bored me and didn't finished.

1.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Presentation:
24 oz. can poured into a cup. That's right. I said a cup. I'm tired of pouring these into nice glassware.

Visual:
Clear, pale yellow body. Massive white puffy head; but then it went away. Big ol' bubbles rising within the glass - almost champagne-like.

Aroma:
Meh... Very bready and stale with the malt. Quite noticeable alcohol mixed with some funky cooked veggies (seems to be a reoccurring theme with these cheap high gravities). Absolutely no hops, just moldy bread in the nose and finish.

Taste:
On par with the aroma, only sweeter. Lots of malty sweetness and stale astringent notes. Quite bitter in the finish with veggie flavors all over the place. There is a funky yeast taste that seems to be riding on the back of the booziness. No hops. Dry/bitter aftertaste.

Overall:
Nope. Not enjoyable. No balance. No complexity. And I think I tasted more alcohol than there actually was in the beer; and that's saying something considering the abv.
Would pair horribly with everything.

Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I CAN't believe that there is not a picture for this beer. CAN you?

It began with a finger of bone-white head, but it quickly reduced to mere wisps. The color was a deep golden amber with NE-quality clarity. Bubbles were evident in the beer due to his high clarity. It had a real BUPGOO look to it. Nose had a definite lager sweetness along with a fruity quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a berry-like sweetness - strawberry, red raspberry (along those lines) on the tongue. Finish was somewhat dry with that berry quality lingering well after the swallow. Frankly, not bad for a CANned malt liquor.

3.92/5  rDev +64%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared clear gold with a 2 finger frothy/sticky head with better retention than most Malts out there. Lots of carbonation can be seen, and lacing was spotted but definitely worth a mention, overall a very fresh look. Smelled of a semi sharp twang, fruity apple/grape/raisin/and banana with only subtle metallic characteristics to it and definite astringent qualities. Sweet overall with musky, stale malt underneath the fruity, sharp aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of a sharp metallic twang with fruitiness, semi sweet banana/strawberry but not as strong as in the smell, Following is a somewhat rough artificial, astringent like bitterness, which is more pronounced as it warms. Finishing flavors consist of musky, stale malt, clean rice notes and some decent bitterness. Mouthfeel was very smooth, thin, and lite-medium bodied, really compliments the flavor profile perfectly.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - First off let me say that if your drinking this brew, you must be looking for a good buzz. Assuming that's the case, I think this is one of the smoothest HG Malts out there, at times it got a little offensive, but nothing near other HG Malts with around the same ABV. I could easily drink as many as I wanted with this beer, knowing that I'm getting the most for my money, flavor & ABV wise. This one was pretty smooth considering how much alcohol was in it, I definitely recommend this for someone that's low on cash, looking for a good buzz, and not wanting to settle for Steel Reserve or worse. Cheers!

2.17/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 40 ounce bottle that cost less than $2.00 plus tax. Head was so small or unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention. Smell was grainy. Color was yellow. Taste was awful, typical of adjunct type lagers. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability, you got to be kidding. If you like hiigh ABV and a cheap price and you are real thristy, this brew is for you.

3.25/5  rDev +36%

Poured from a 24oz. can.

Pale golden with a rocky white head that fades quickly, large bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Steely grits, soft citrus and alcohol all mingle in the nose. Corn sugar and a slightly metallic graininess with a dry, clean finish. Alcoholic heat is felt, but it's not overpowering. Medium light bodied with massive, gassy carbonation. An above average malt liquor... if you can like the style for what it is.

1.2/5  rDev -49.8%

There was a post recently about the glories of high ABV malt liquors, so I thought I'd relive the college days and grab one.

Pours a light yellow gold, surprisingly small white foam head that quickly vanished, leaving an ominous looking beer of that certain yellow color.

Smells like sweet grainy corn. Awful. Taste was also awful. Sweet corniness, and a husky, earthy bite to it that was pretty foul.

What was I thinking?

2.05/5  rDev -14.2%

Continuing my downward spiral....
ISO: a damn job! FT: my empty cellar

So I'm trying to finish college (last quarter bitches!!) and the money situation, what with a wife, five kids, a mortgage, and no damn job, is in dire straights. On my way to crash out one particular evening I spy, with my sober eye, cans of Hurricane High Gravity for $1.09. Wow. Looks like it's time to try Hurricane High Gravity. Should provide the proper tune-up if nothing else.

Pours a clear gold. A fluffy sort of head stands up to yell and slowly recedes. Looks much better than I had anticipated.

Smells like vomit. Utterly repulsive. I had slightly, ever so slightly, higher expectations. I mean I thought it would smell bad, but vomit? Can I catch a break here? Another daring whiff, don't ask me why, brings rotted corn and oxidized tin. Truly, truly a shitty smelling beer. When scoring a beer, I hate to give out a '1' as much as I hate to give out a '5' but it's gonna happen here. In fact, I'm gonna drink the rest of this out of the can so I don't have to put my nose in this shit again.

Taste is astonishing. Not astonishinly good, but I'm fucking astonished that it doesn't taste as nasty as it smells. The flavor is very laid back, barely there at all, which is a HUGE improvement over the nose. Slight malted corn. Very light.

Turns out to be pretty damn smooth. Almost pleasing. It's like a lager mixed with water.

Drinkability: I can.

I can't lie: I actually bought two cans. Come on: a buck-nine? Murdered'em both. Was this a good beer? Hell no. Did it fulfil it's destiny and rationalize its existence? Yep.

Overall: Daddy out.

1.66/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I only put serving type as bottle because a 40 was not an option. I've actually had this a few times but that is probably because I'm in college and because I'm cheap. It pours a light yellow with almost not head. The taste is like licking a metal fence. It really does not go down well and the 8.10% can really put you on your ass. I'm still hungover and its 7pm. Thanks High Grav.

2.91/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours clear, dark yellow with a thick creamy head.

Aroma is dry, and musty with subtle pale malt and a hint of lemon grass.

Taste is initially pale malt with generous corn adjunct sweetness. Finish turns slightly sour. Grainy and a touch metallic.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Inoffensive for the style. Very easy to drink for the ABV.

1.92/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a thick creamy off white head.

Smell is just plain bad, very vegetal and old shoe mixed together.

The flavor is very corny and grainy with a bit of a long stale metallic flavor.

The mouthfeel is slightly thick with lots of carbonation.

Not as bad as I would have guessed, but still not something I would set out to drink.

2.7/5  rDev +13%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick fizzy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a faint pilsner malt scent with loads of adjuncts and a dry lager yeast aroma. There is little to no hop aroma present. The taste is below average. It has an extremely dry taste that barely resembles beer. It's crisp and clean, but it's devoid of any malt character. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is poor tasting beer. I'm not a big fan of malt liquors in general, but this one just isn't very good. It's one and done for me.

1.56/5  rDev -34.7%

I bought it expecting it to be your ordinary, run of the mill flavorless cheap malt liquor. Boy was I wrong! The moment I got this stuff in my mouth I wished I had just left it in the cooler. One of my buddies described it as "liquid ass," and I don't think he was far off.

3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear, dull golden color. About a finger of head with moderate retention, though a thin, patchy cap remains. Minimal and scattered lace. Even after roughly 20 minutes there's a good deal of bubble activity from the bottom.

S - Very sweet, almost like apple and/or white grape juice. Fruit turns into a nasty sort of vinegar aroma with lots of cereal. Undertone of alcohol with a waxy, crayon-like note.

T - It seems like some sips are better than others, but here's the general run down. Big hit of sweetness early palate that quickly turns into a mildly unpleasant sourness. Grainy character kicks in but never quite dominates as others of the style. Sourness turns into metallic taste, alcohol, and a coarse bitterness. Overtone of green apple prevails until the finish. Bitterness and booze linger in the aftertaste.

M - Lighter bodied than some malt liquors with a moderate to high carbonation. Lowered body combined with general lowered sweetness make this a little more tolerable than others of the style.

D - At first I wasn't a huge fan of this any more than any other malt liquor, but it's grown on me a little bit. The sweetness is toned down and the alcohol is hidden a bit better than other malt liquors. Lighter body lowers the cloying factor of this, and lowered sweetness keeps it easy to drink. Not too bad for what it is.

2.99/5  rDev +25.1%

That's right katz & kittenz, I am not below reviewing a canned malt liquor. You have to try everything once, right? Out of the 24 fl oz can this beer was a bright straw gold color with an eggshell white head that at first was huge and billowing. It died back to a thin layer of white bubbles that actually retained itself pretty well and left good lacing. The aroma was standard macro sh--, corn mash and metallic notes on top of alcohol. The flavors were actually not bad, a generally inoffensive macro lager that displayed elements of fruit sweetness and mash-grain sourness in equal parts. The mouthfeel was average and a little prickly, the body medium but the finish was slick and cheap like a carnie. All-in-all I expected to fail this one but for the malt liquor style I had to give it decent marks.

2.59/5  rDev +8.4%

This is ok, not as bad as I had expected but not nearly as good as a lot of other malt liquors to me.

This is among the better-looking malt liquors out there. Deep, faintly amber-orange gold, it has a large, somewhat dense white head that dissipates slowly to a permanent, thin, foamy top. It even leaves some weak weak lacing.

The aroma is alcohol, meat, grapes, and a hint of sulphur.

The taste is at first primarily meaty, musty fruity alcohol. It's a cheap fortified sweet white wine quality. This settles down a bit, but becomes thinner and weaker. Although a faint hint of grain is noticeable, it ends up being rather bland. The feel is fairly full, almost oily. That said, it's fairly drinkable.

1.92/5  rDev -19.7%

I received this beer thanks to deepsouth and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly BIF. (I didn't buy it)

Poured a 24oz, big mouth can into my oversized Triple Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a darker then normal, straw yellow with a big fish eyed bubbly head. About the head, it was there for about 5 seconds. That surprised me a bit. It was huge for a bit and then gone, like it was never really there. The aroma is very straightforward. Diesel fuel and bananas. Wow, its like I pumping diesel into my wife's Jetta TDI using a banana as a spigot. Horrible stuff. Nothing else. The taste isn't as "bad" as I thought it was going to be. But bad really is a subjective word. The taste is very fusel, up front with bananas, corn, and a bit of heat. The mouthfeel is really spicy and acidic. Overall, this beer is bad. Not worth buying. But if you ever intend to join the GBU BIF, this is something to really consider sending as the Ugly.

3.13/5  rDev +31%

12 Oz Can

A: Have to admit, didn't bother here. no real point due to the category. Guess average here.

S: Notes of some funked fruity ester mixed with nail polish remover and or cheap grain alcohol, or better yet popov vodka!

T: surprisingly un-repulsive notwithstanding the completely bizarre smell notes. Light sweet corny taste, with a tick of said unidentifiable fruity ester. medium bodied, with a tick of metallic hops and a dryness to finish.

M: smooth,and a bit light. Almost like water getting you drunk. I guess for the style it would be medium bodied.

D: for the price it can't be beat. And let's be honest here..I was just looking for a $5.99 cheapo 12 pack to get trashed on after a hard week of campaigning on a wal-mart worker's budget...

wtf...got a bunch of friends who don't "respect beer" bring this to beer pong and watch as they are caught by it's potency...pleasure guaranteed:)

Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch