Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
CBorg

1.5/5  rDev -37.2%

I bought it expecting it to be your ordinary, run of the mill flavorless cheap malt liquor. Boy was I wrong! The moment I got this stuff in my mouth I wished I had just left it in the cooler. One of my buddies described it as "liquid ass," and I don't think he was far off.

01-15-2009 19:50:48 | More by CBorg
PatrickJR

3.38/5  rDev +41.4%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear, dull golden color. About a finger of head with moderate retention, though a thin, patchy cap remains. Minimal and scattered lace. Even after roughly 20 minutes there's a good deal of bubble activity from the bottom.

S - Very sweet, almost like apple and/or white grape juice. Fruit turns into a nasty sort of vinegar aroma with lots of cereal. Undertone of alcohol with a waxy, crayon-like note.

T - It seems like some sips are better than others, but here's the general run down. Big hit of sweetness early palate that quickly turns into a mildly unpleasant sourness. Grainy character kicks in but never quite dominates as others of the style. Sourness turns into metallic taste, alcohol, and a coarse bitterness. Overtone of green apple prevails until the finish. Bitterness and booze linger in the aftertaste.

M - Lighter bodied than some malt liquors with a moderate to high carbonation. Lowered body combined with general lowered sweetness make this a little more tolerable than others of the style.

D - At first I wasn't a huge fan of this any more than any other malt liquor, but it's grown on me a little bit. The sweetness is toned down and the alcohol is hidden a bit better than other malt liquors. Lighter body lowers the cloying factor of this, and lowered sweetness keeps it easy to drink. Not too bad for what it is.

12-09-2008 07:51:13 | More by PatrickJR
thekevlarkid

Maryland

That's right katz & kittenz, I am not below reviewing a canned malt liquor. You have to try everything once, right? Out of the 24 fl oz can this beer was a bright straw gold color with an eggshell white head that at first was huge and billowing. It died back to a thin layer of white bubbles that actually retained itself pretty well and left good lacing. The aroma was standard macro sh--, corn mash and metallic notes on top of alcohol. The flavors were actually not bad, a generally inoffensive macro lager that displayed elements of fruit sweetness and mash-grain sourness in equal parts. The mouthfeel was average and a little prickly, the body medium but the finish was slick and cheap like a carnie. All-in-all I expected to fail this one but for the malt liquor style I had to give it decent marks.

11-13-2008 18:35:53 | More by thekevlarkid
Offa

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%

This is ok, not as bad as I had expected but not nearly as good as a lot of other malt liquors to me.

This is among the better-looking malt liquors out there. Deep, faintly amber-orange gold, it has a large, somewhat dense white head that dissipates slowly to a permanent, thin, foamy top. It even leaves some weak weak lacing.

The aroma is alcohol, meat, grapes, and a hint of sulphur.

The taste is at first primarily meaty, musty fruity alcohol. It's a cheap fortified sweet white wine quality. This settles down a bit, but becomes thinner and weaker. Although a faint hint of grain is noticeable, it ends up being rather bland. The feel is fairly full, almost oily. That said, it's fairly drinkable.

10-16-2008 23:34:17 | More by Offa
hwwty4

Missouri

1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

I received this beer thanks to deepsouth and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly BIF. (I didn't buy it)

Poured a 24oz, big mouth can into my oversized Triple Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a darker then normal, straw yellow with a big fish eyed bubbly head. About the head, it was there for about 5 seconds. That surprised me a bit. It was huge for a bit and then gone, like it was never really there. The aroma is very straightforward. Diesel fuel and bananas. Wow, its like I pumping diesel into my wife's Jetta TDI using a banana as a spigot. Horrible stuff. Nothing else. The taste isn't as "bad" as I thought it was going to be. But bad really is a subjective word. The taste is very fusel, up front with bananas, corn, and a bit of heat. The mouthfeel is really spicy and acidic. Overall, this beer is bad. Not worth buying. But if you ever intend to join the GBU BIF, this is something to really consider sending as the Ugly.

10-03-2008 02:57:27 | More by hwwty4
TwinSox33

New Hampshire

3.15/5  rDev +31.8%

12 Oz Can

A: Have to admit, didn't bother here. no real point due to the category. Guess average here.

S: Notes of some funked fruity ester mixed with nail polish remover and or cheap grain alcohol, or better yet popov vodka!

T: surprisingly un-repulsive notwithstanding the completely bizarre smell notes. Light sweet corny taste, with a tick of said unidentifiable fruity ester. medium bodied, with a tick of metallic hops and a dryness to finish.

M: smooth,and a bit light. Almost like water getting you drunk. I guess for the style it would be medium bodied.

D: for the price it can't be beat. And let's be honest here..I was just looking for a $5.99 cheapo 12 pack to get trashed on after a hard week of campaigning on a wal-mart worker's budget...

wtf...got a bunch of friends who don't "respect beer" bring this to beer pong and watch as they are caught by it's potency...pleasure guaranteed:)

09-29-2008 02:01:17 | More by TwinSox33
everetends

Alabama

3.55/5  rDev +48.5%

24 oz can I got from Grub Mart in Jacksonville. I must note that this is the 6% version. Served in a brown paper bag.

A: What I did pour into a glass came out a bright yellow macro look. Had some heavy carbonation and a large foamy head. Head had no retention, but the head is not what I am after.

S: Smells like sweet corn and malt. Thats it, but it is actually pleasing. Nice sweet presence.

T: Taste is yet again of sweet corn and malt. This does taste a lot like a typical macro but it steps it up by not having any metallic taste that most macros have. Very pleasant flavor.

M: Light bodied brew with heavy carbonation. Crisp and clean on the finish. Goes down oh so easy.

D: Very drinkable. This was actually not that bad. I would drink another and many more. If I am in a bind I will go pick up a 24 oz of this baby. Can't beat it for the price.

09-04-2008 05:26:36 | More by everetends
Wetpaperbag

2.05/5  rDev -14.2%

22oz can being drank in light of the Hurricane Gustov.

A- Golden yellow, with active head.

S- I had to move to the smell as it was kicking the ass of olfactory sensors upon hitting the glass. Man this is potent. This is like a weak grainy tea with vodka added. I bet you could light a fire on top of this glass.

T- This is a strange adjunct infused malt liquor. There is a definite grain taste, but at the same time Pow the alcohol is ready to bring the rain of hurt.

M- Feels like a ML should.

D- This beer can bring the fury, and I'm not doubting the hurt too. I hope Fema can come rescue me after this one. I'm a trooper and I'm just going to have to chug this. Shutter.

09-02-2008 03:20:37 | More by Wetpaperbag
tbeck

2.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a light golden yellow with a thick white head that stayed. Aroma was malty cereal grains. Taste was very metallic with cereal grains and a sour aftertaste. Texture was thin and watery. This beer is about what I expected, not much. The taste was not good, even on a hot day. Due to higher alcohol content I would use as a way to get slammed quick.

08-08-2008 01:21:00 | More by tbeck
giblet

2.15/5  rDev -10%

uhg. poured ok into me glass. a lot of carbonation early with big bubbles. smells of grain and metal. flavor...grain and metal. not very good. carbonation gives a bite in the mouff. this is good for the abv. pound 3 or 4 of these pounders on the way to the tailgate party. that is about all i would do wiff it.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

07-09-2008 15:37:03 | More by giblet
BamaBeerBuff

2.42/5  rDev +1.3%

"Born on" date of March 4, 2008. Additional note: the can I purchased says 6.0 ABV, as opposed to the 8.1 listed here. I'm assuming A-B has brewed a 6.0 version for states with an ABV cap. Poured from a 16 oz. can into a weizen glass.

A: A light golden-yellow with an initially large head (vigorous pour) that recedes quickly, leaving (surprisingly) small bits of lace and a thin veil of white bubbles. Actually not bad for a malt liquor.

S: Wow, this is pretty awful. Pungent grain/corn aromas with a nice kick of pure alcohol and some sweetness. Very powerful aroma.

T&M: Taste actually isn't half bad for a malt liquor. Sweet corn/grain flavors and alcohol. "Don't let the smooth taste fool ya"--the old King Cobra tagline applies well to this. It's rather devoid of flavor, but the important thing is that the taste isn't so pungent that it's off-putting. Extraordinarily light body with moderate carbonation. A very thin mouthfeel.

D: 3 because it's a decent malt liquor. Still, there's zero flavor or character to this beverage, so I won't be buying again.

05-22-2008 04:06:22 | More by BamaBeerBuff
rye726

Colorado

1.18/5  rDev -50.6%

Goldish color with a white head. A bitter grassy nose makes me quiver. The taste is no better. Alcohol and old feed corn. The body is light and has enough carbonation for 80 ounces of liquor. And yes, this is liquor, not beer. It drinks like liquor as well.

05-16-2008 07:51:51 | More by rye726
Bookseeb

2.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I paid $1 for this 24oz. can that is 2.5 months past the born on date. Appearance is a light golden with a thick crisp head that dissapates rather quickly. Smell is not much other than light grains and alchohol. Taste is slightly sweet, grainy and alchohol. Mouthfeel is light with some body there and a good spike of carbonation. For a lager it does have that "brewed for a distictive bold taste" but nothing complex, but still better than originally expected.

05-01-2008 02:34:09 | More by Bookseeb

2.17/5  rDev -9.2%

This is my first review, so I figured I would try out a malt liquor thats popular in my neck of the woods. I pretty much sampled it straight out of the can. Immediately upon opening it, I was hit with a strong smell of alcohol and nasty grain, which was not too appealing. I poured some of it into a rocks glass to get a look at it; it poured a pretty, deep gold color and had an off white head that dissipated fairly quickly (even after an aggressive pour), leaving little lacing. The first sip was not as bad as I expected. It consisted of very thin malt, lots of alcohol, and maybe a touch of a hop or two?? The mouthfeel was average at best, and because its fairly smooth when ice cold, drinkability is good.

Do drink this one quick, because as it warms up, it quickly becomes undrinkable. For the style, this is not bad, but not real good either.

I will not seek this out, but if offered one, I will never refuse it!

Prost!

03-24-2008 14:08:45 | More by 1099
Deadstar

2.58/5  rDev +7.9%

Serving type: 40oz bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Light gold in color with a head that leaves a little bit of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Really not picking up a lot in the nose, a bit of something sweet but I can't put my finger on it.

Taste: Not the most pleasant tasting ML that I've had but it's passable. It has a funky aftertaste that lingers in the mouth, some alcohol tastes as well.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation, fairly light (a bit heavier than something like Miller Lite though), goes down ok (minus that aftertaste).

Drinkability: This is an alright drink, but I'd limit myself on it, mostly because of the aftertaste.

03-02-2008 01:44:08 | More by Deadstar
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Glugs out a clear, orange-gold body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Seriously, why do I continue to subject myself to these things? Aroma of toasted, microwaved corn-based cereal and floral-scented chemicals.

Taste: Heated corn flavor with an odd sweetness. I'm not sure why I always refer to it as an "odd" sweetness, when the vast majority of these malt liquors has it. Let's start saying "off-putting sweetness," whaddya say? A needed hint of hop bitterness almost shows up, but is taste-blocked by a wave of chemical flavor. Ah well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Mercifully, it's not as nauseatingly tongue-coating as most malt liquors.

Drinkability: It's just barely tolerable, I think that's the nicest thing to be said of it. Paired well enough with a handful of salted pretzels.

02-13-2008 22:37:13 | More by ChainGangGuy
kguyty

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer is golden in color and pours with a nice white head. I actually prefer this over bud or bud light. I made the mistake of drinking three of these in one night and woke up with a pretty bad hangover. Not bad for the price, gets the job done well.

02-06-2008 02:07:05 | More by kguyty
steinlifter

2.85/5  rDev +19.2%

this poured a dark copper or red-ish orange, sudsy head that did retain a bit and left a broken lace down sides of glass.
smell was rather grainy, but with a wiff of cherries..taste follows the same with a bit of a sharp bite.
mouthfeel was typical of other malt-liquors.
drinkability is ok,but a little rough, and I'm sure a headache will follow, however I DID find this rather interesting for this type of beer..worth a try maybe?..if your budget is really, really tight. :P

01-23-2008 02:01:07 | More by steinlifter
MTNboy

Germany

2.03/5  rDev -15.1%

This "High Gravity Lager" AKA Malt Liquor is great if you want a cheap drunk but not very satisfactory as a beer. It pours a reddish brown like amber with a head and lave that disapear quickly. The smell is faint but metallic. The taste or lack of there of is very sweet but sour and corn like. There a mild hint of some type of almost fruity flavor to it. It is fizzy and burns just a little bit as it goes down.

01-05-2008 03:24:57 | More by MTNboy
altgeeky1

New Hampshire

1.58/5  rDev -33.9%

Purchased @ North Nashua Market Basket , can's born-on date exactly 30 days ago. As part of a beer-slum run, I bought this with some similar beers for the hell of it. Can looks like the energy drinks popular with the MTV crowd, therefore the 8.1% ABV is trumpeted on the front packaging.
Pours a lovely shade of... corn (mmm!) into a 22oz pilsner glass. Produces a 2 finger head with a 4 second half-life, settling to lace around the glass' rim. Very little visible carbonation afterwards.
Smells like a corn beer. If you've ever made a thin homebrew with corn sugar having replaced 60% of the malt extract... that's what you get. The carbonation that's not visible in the glass is apparent in the mouth (fizz bomb), and this overpowers all taste except the green-apple corn snap.
m- No body, strong fizz bomb with alcohol bite.
d- With less carbonation and less alcohol and a smaller container, this might be a Bud-Lite weak beer that at least serves as summer refreshment. Here, we have a not-very-enjoyable beer, whose primary mission seems to be intoxication for 99 cents.

01-03-2008 02:59:17 | More by altgeeky1
Floydster

1.35/5  rDev -43.5%

Tall can bought from the grocery store

Had never heard of this before but it was only a buck or two, so I figured I would try it and wish I would not have

Horrible smell and a sweet taste which is a really ba mixture with a malt liquor

Light brown color with no head, could not even finish the whole can it was so bad

Stay away from this even if it is high gravity

09-12-2007 06:43:13 | More by Floydster
HardTarget

1.75/5  rDev -26.8%

Bottle Inspection: Can lists 8.1% abv., born on date of 18OCT06 (sampled 06SEP07, I like my malt liquor aged a bit).

Aroma: Sweet candy smell like sweet tarts, a peppery note, some bread, and a slight burn in the nostrils tells me that they weren’t kidding about the abv.

Appearance: Gentle first pour gave a 3 finger head that died back quickly leaving sticky lace. Glass is hazy and amber yellow.

Flavor: Oof. Full grainy malt base with a fair dose of corn gives a cloying sweetness. Minor grassy note might be hops. The sweetness does manage to cover the alcohol taste, but nothing can hold back the kick.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body triggers a lip smacking chew. Carbonation level is high, and it dries out like a desert morning for some reason.

Overall Impression: A bit for my homies, the brown paper bag, out on the curb. This is low rent beer with one thing in mind; lowering IQ scores. While I enjoy some malt liquors, this is pretty harsh stuff. It’s a wort sweetness that kills this. It may start with a High Gravity, but it doesn’t get low enough.
Thanks to Pegasus for the sample.

09-07-2007 04:56:56 | More by HardTarget
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.63/5  rDev +10%

Ok seriously I had to. There was a forty of this on sale at the local gas sattion for a buck, cmon how can you pass that up, espeially when you have already had a long night. This review is gonna be messy I know it but what the hell right. Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

09-02-2007 03:25:03 | More by mikesgroove
Halcyondays

2.2/5  rDev -7.9%

24 oz. can of an 8.1% brew, for $1.09, couldn't pass this up,

A: Good appearance, actually amber in colour, with a white head, which initially leaves lots of lacing, but by the end of the can, there is little to no head, even with a swirl.

S: Really nothing, besides a few corn notes, a little bit of solventy alcohol.

T: Tastes mostly of alcohol and a few grain notes, OK in the beginning, but then it becomes sweet and cloying.

M: The lightest 8.1% beer, that I have ever tasted, it feels like a light lager with a bit of solvent.

D: Not a bad macro, this will get you drunk in a hurry, but try to keep it cold, opposite of what I would say about most high alcohol brews.

08-29-2007 01:53:18 | More by Halcyondays
Brad007

Vermont

It's funny because we only get a 6% version of this in Vermont.

Pours a medium yellow color with a nice amount of carbonation. Smells of corn adjunct with alcohol mixed in. Nothing impressive there. Typical malt liquor. Sweet smell by the way. Taste is much of the same except that it feels too thin to be good. Also, the sweetness is almost too much

08-13-2007 01:22:24 | More by Brad007