Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +64.4%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared clear gold with a 2 finger frothy/sticky head with better retention than most Malts out there. Lots of carbonation can be seen, and lacing was spotted but definitely worth a mention, overall a very fresh look. Smelled of a semi sharp twang, fruity apple/grape/raisin/and banana with only subtle metallic characteristics to it and definite astringent qualities. Sweet overall with musky, stale malt underneath the fruity, sharp aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of a sharp metallic twang with fruitiness, semi sweet banana/strawberry but not as strong as in the smell, Following is a somewhat rough artificial, astringent like bitterness, which is more pronounced as it warms. Finishing flavors consist of musky, stale malt, clean rice notes and some decent bitterness. Mouthfeel was very smooth, thin, and lite-medium bodied, really compliments the flavor profile perfectly.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - First off let me say that if your drinking this brew, you must be looking for a good buzz. Assuming that's the case, I think this is one of the smoothest HG Malts out there, at times it got a little offensive, but nothing near other HG Malts with around the same ABV. I could easily drink as many as I wanted with this beer, knowing that I'm getting the most for my money, flavor & ABV wise. This one was pretty smooth considering how much alcohol was in it, I definitely recommend this for someone that's low on cash, looking for a good buzz, and not wanting to settle for Steel Reserve or worse. Cheers!

PintOHops, Aug 17, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 40 ounce bottle that cost less than $2.00 plus tax. Head was so small or unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention. Smell was grainy. Color was yellow. Taste was awful, typical of adjunct type lagers. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability, you got to be kidding. If you like hiigh ABV and a cheap price and you are real thristy, this brew is for you.

utah44, Aug 06, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +37.2%

Poured from a 24oz. can.

Pale golden with a rocky white head that fades quickly, large bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Steely grits, soft citrus and alcohol all mingle in the nose. Corn sugar and a slightly metallic graininess with a dry, clean finish. Alcoholic heat is felt, but it's not overpowering. Medium light bodied with massive, gassy carbonation. An above average malt liquor... if you can like the style for what it is.

biggred1, May 16, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -50.6%

There was a post recently about the glories of high ABV malt liquors, so I thought I'd relive the college days and grab one.

Pours a light yellow gold, surprisingly small white foam head that quickly vanished, leaving an ominous looking beer of that certain yellow color.

Smells like sweet grainy corn. Awful. Taste was also awful. Sweet corniness, and a husky, earthy bite to it that was pretty foul.

What was I thinking?

Overlord, May 11, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -13%

Continuing my downward spiral....
ISO: a damn job! FT: my empty cellar

So I'm trying to finish college (last quarter bitches!!) and the money situation, what with a wife, five kids, a mortgage, and no damn job, is in dire straights. On my way to crash out one particular evening I spy, with my sober eye, cans of Hurricane High Gravity for $1.09. Wow. Looks like it's time to try Hurricane High Gravity. Should provide the proper tune-up if nothing else.

Pours a clear gold. A fluffy sort of head stands up to yell and slowly recedes. Looks much better than I had anticipated.

Smells like vomit. Utterly repulsive. I had slightly, ever so slightly, higher expectations. I mean I thought it would smell bad, but vomit? Can I catch a break here? Another daring whiff, don't ask me why, brings rotted corn and oxidized tin. Truly, truly a shitty smelling beer. When scoring a beer, I hate to give out a '1' as much as I hate to give out a '5' but it's gonna happen here. In fact, I'm gonna drink the rest of this out of the can so I don't have to put my nose in this shit again.

Taste is astonishing. Not astonishinly good, but I'm fucking astonished that it doesn't taste as nasty as it smells. The flavor is very laid back, barely there at all, which is a HUGE improvement over the nose. Slight malted corn. Very light.

Turns out to be pretty damn smooth. Almost pleasing. It's like a lager mixed with water.

Drinkability: I can.

I can't lie: I actually bought two cans. Come on: a buck-nine? Murdered'em both. Was this a good beer? Hell no. Did it fulfil it's destiny and rationalize its existence? Yep.

Overall: Daddy out.

PatronWizard, Apr 24, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I only put serving type as bottle because a 40 was not an option. I've actually had this a few times but that is probably because I'm in college and because I'm cheap. It pours a light yellow with almost not head. The taste is like licking a metal fence. It really does not go down well and the 8.10% can really put you on your ass. I'm still hungover and its 7pm. Thanks High Grav.

iuhoosier336, Apr 03, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours clear, dark yellow with a thick creamy head.

Aroma is dry, and musty with subtle pale malt and a hint of lemon grass.

Taste is initially pale malt with generous corn adjunct sweetness. Finish turns slightly sour. Grainy and a touch metallic.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Inoffensive for the style. Very easy to drink for the ABV.

Blakaeris, Mar 31, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a thick creamy off white head.

Smell is just plain bad, very vegetal and old shoe mixed together.

The flavor is very corny and grainy with a bit of a long stale metallic flavor.

The mouthfeel is slightly thick with lots of carbonation.

Not as bad as I would have guessed, but still not something I would set out to drink.

bashiba, Mar 31, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +12.1%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick fizzy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a faint pilsner malt scent with loads of adjuncts and a dry lager yeast aroma. There is little to no hop aroma present. The taste is below average. It has an extremely dry taste that barely resembles beer. It's crisp and clean, but it's devoid of any malt character. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is poor tasting beer. I'm not a big fan of malt liquors in general, but this one just isn't very good. It's one and done for me.

WesWes, Feb 19, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -37.2%

I bought it expecting it to be your ordinary, run of the mill flavorless cheap malt liquor. Boy was I wrong! The moment I got this stuff in my mouth I wished I had just left it in the cooler. One of my buddies described it as "liquid ass," and I don't think he was far off.

CBorg, Jan 15, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +41.4%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear, dull golden color. About a finger of head with moderate retention, though a thin, patchy cap remains. Minimal and scattered lace. Even after roughly 20 minutes there's a good deal of bubble activity from the bottom.

S - Very sweet, almost like apple and/or white grape juice. Fruit turns into a nasty sort of vinegar aroma with lots of cereal. Undertone of alcohol with a waxy, crayon-like note.

T - It seems like some sips are better than others, but here's the general run down. Big hit of sweetness early palate that quickly turns into a mildly unpleasant sourness. Grainy character kicks in but never quite dominates as others of the style. Sourness turns into metallic taste, alcohol, and a coarse bitterness. Overtone of green apple prevails until the finish. Bitterness and booze linger in the aftertaste.

M - Lighter bodied than some malt liquors with a moderate to high carbonation. Lowered body combined with general lowered sweetness make this a little more tolerable than others of the style.

D - At first I wasn't a huge fan of this any more than any other malt liquor, but it's grown on me a little bit. The sweetness is toned down and the alcohol is hidden a bit better than other malt liquors. Lighter body lowers the cloying factor of this, and lowered sweetness keeps it easy to drink. Not too bad for what it is.

PatrickJR, Dec 09, 2008

That's right katz & kittenz, I am not below reviewing a canned malt liquor. You have to try everything once, right? Out of the 24 fl oz can this beer was a bright straw gold color with an eggshell white head that at first was huge and billowing. It died back to a thin layer of white bubbles that actually retained itself pretty well and left good lacing. The aroma was standard macro sh--, corn mash and metallic notes on top of alcohol. The flavors were actually not bad, a generally inoffensive macro lager that displayed elements of fruit sweetness and mash-grain sourness in equal parts. The mouthfeel was average and a little prickly, the body medium but the finish was slick and cheap like a carnie. All-in-all I expected to fail this one but for the malt liquor style I had to give it decent marks.

thekevlarkid, Nov 13, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +8.8%

This is ok, not as bad as I had expected but not nearly as good as a lot of other malt liquors to me.

This is among the better-looking malt liquors out there. Deep, faintly amber-orange gold, it has a large, somewhat dense white head that dissipates slowly to a permanent, thin, foamy top. It even leaves some weak weak lacing.

The aroma is alcohol, meat, grapes, and a hint of sulphur.

The taste is at first primarily meaty, musty fruity alcohol. It's a cheap fortified sweet white wine quality. This settles down a bit, but becomes thinner and weaker. Although a faint hint of grain is noticeable, it ends up being rather bland. The feel is fairly full, almost oily. That said, it's fairly drinkable.

Offa, Oct 17, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

I received this beer thanks to deepsouth and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly BIF. (I didn't buy it)

Poured a 24oz, big mouth can into my oversized Triple Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a darker then normal, straw yellow with a big fish eyed bubbly head. About the head, it was there for about 5 seconds. That surprised me a bit. It was huge for a bit and then gone, like it was never really there. The aroma is very straightforward. Diesel fuel and bananas. Wow, its like I pumping diesel into my wife's Jetta TDI using a banana as a spigot. Horrible stuff. Nothing else. The taste isn't as "bad" as I thought it was going to be. But bad really is a subjective word. The taste is very fusel, up front with bananas, corn, and a bit of heat. The mouthfeel is really spicy and acidic. Overall, this beer is bad. Not worth buying. But if you ever intend to join the GBU BIF, this is something to really consider sending as the Ugly.

hwwty4, Oct 03, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +31.8%

12 Oz Can

A: Have to admit, didn't bother here. no real point due to the category. Guess average here.

S: Notes of some funked fruity ester mixed with nail polish remover and or cheap grain alcohol, or better yet popov vodka!

T: surprisingly un-repulsive notwithstanding the completely bizarre smell notes. Light sweet corny taste, with a tick of said unidentifiable fruity ester. medium bodied, with a tick of metallic hops and a dryness to finish.

M: smooth,and a bit light. Almost like water getting you drunk. I guess for the style it would be medium bodied.

D: for the price it can't be beat. And let's be honest here..I was just looking for a $5.99 cheapo 12 pack to get trashed on after a hard week of campaigning on a wal-mart worker's budget...

wtf...got a bunch of friends who don't "respect beer" bring this to beer pong and watch as they are caught by it's potency...pleasure guaranteed:)

TwinSox33, Sep 29, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +48.5%

24 oz can I got from Grub Mart in Jacksonville. I must note that this is the 6% version. Served in a brown paper bag.

A: What I did pour into a glass came out a bright yellow macro look. Had some heavy carbonation and a large foamy head. Head had no retention, but the head is not what I am after.

S: Smells like sweet corn and malt. Thats it, but it is actually pleasing. Nice sweet presence.

T: Taste is yet again of sweet corn and malt. This does taste a lot like a typical macro but it steps it up by not having any metallic taste that most macros have. Very pleasant flavor.

M: Light bodied brew with heavy carbonation. Crisp and clean on the finish. Goes down oh so easy.

D: Very drinkable. This was actually not that bad. I would drink another and many more. If I am in a bind I will go pick up a 24 oz of this baby. Can't beat it for the price.

everetends, Sep 04, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -14.2%

22oz can being drank in light of the Hurricane Gustov.

A- Golden yellow, with active head.

S- I had to move to the smell as it was kicking the ass of olfactory sensors upon hitting the glass. Man this is potent. This is like a weak grainy tea with vodka added. I bet you could light a fire on top of this glass.

T- This is a strange adjunct infused malt liquor. There is a definite grain taste, but at the same time Pow the alcohol is ready to bring the rain of hurt.

M- Feels like a ML should.

D- This beer can bring the fury, and I'm not doubting the hurt too. I hope Fema can come rescue me after this one. I'm a trooper and I'm just going to have to chug this. Shutter.

Wetpaperbag, Sep 02, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a light golden yellow with a thick white head that stayed. Aroma was malty cereal grains. Taste was very metallic with cereal grains and a sour aftertaste. Texture was thin and watery. This beer is about what I expected, not much. The taste was not good, even on a hot day. Due to higher alcohol content I would use as a way to get slammed quick.

tbeck, Aug 08, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -10%

uhg. poured ok into me glass. a lot of carbonation early with big bubbles. smells of grain and metal. flavor...grain and metal. not very good. carbonation gives a bite in the mouff. this is good for the abv. pound 3 or 4 of these pounders on the way to the tailgate party. that is about all i would do wiff it.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Jul 09, 2008
2.42/5  rDev +1.3%

"Born on" date of March 4, 2008. Additional note: the can I purchased says 6.0 ABV, as opposed to the 8.1 listed here. I'm assuming A-B has brewed a 6.0 version for states with an ABV cap. Poured from a 16 oz. can into a weizen glass.

A: A light golden-yellow with an initially large head (vigorous pour) that recedes quickly, leaving (surprisingly) small bits of lace and a thin veil of white bubbles. Actually not bad for a malt liquor.

S: Wow, this is pretty awful. Pungent grain/corn aromas with a nice kick of pure alcohol and some sweetness. Very powerful aroma.

T&M: Taste actually isn't half bad for a malt liquor. Sweet corn/grain flavors and alcohol. "Don't let the smooth taste fool ya"--the old King Cobra tagline applies well to this. It's rather devoid of flavor, but the important thing is that the taste isn't so pungent that it's off-putting. Extraordinarily light body with moderate carbonation. A very thin mouthfeel.

D: 3 because it's a decent malt liquor. Still, there's zero flavor or character to this beverage, so I won't be buying again.

BamaBeerBuff, May 22, 2008
1.18/5  rDev -50.6%

Goldish color with a white head. A bitter grassy nose makes me quiver. The taste is no better. Alcohol and old feed corn. The body is light and has enough carbonation for 80 ounces of liquor. And yes, this is liquor, not beer. It drinks like liquor as well.

rye726, May 16, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I paid $1 for this 24oz. can that is 2.5 months past the born on date. Appearance is a light golden with a thick crisp head that dissapates rather quickly. Smell is not much other than light grains and alchohol. Taste is slightly sweet, grainy and alchohol. Mouthfeel is light with some body there and a good spike of carbonation. For a lager it does have that "brewed for a distictive bold taste" but nothing complex, but still better than originally expected.

Bookseeb, May 01, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -9.2%

This is my first review, so I figured I would try out a malt liquor thats popular in my neck of the woods. I pretty much sampled it straight out of the can. Immediately upon opening it, I was hit with a strong smell of alcohol and nasty grain, which was not too appealing. I poured some of it into a rocks glass to get a look at it; it poured a pretty, deep gold color and had an off white head that dissipated fairly quickly (even after an aggressive pour), leaving little lacing. The first sip was not as bad as I expected. It consisted of very thin malt, lots of alcohol, and maybe a touch of a hop or two?? The mouthfeel was average at best, and because its fairly smooth when ice cold, drinkability is good.

Do drink this one quick, because as it warms up, it quickly becomes undrinkable. For the style, this is not bad, but not real good either.

I will not seek this out, but if offered one, I will never refuse it!

Prost!

1099, Mar 24, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +7.9%

Serving type: 40oz bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Light gold in color with a head that leaves a little bit of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Really not picking up a lot in the nose, a bit of something sweet but I can't put my finger on it.

Taste: Not the most pleasant tasting ML that I've had but it's passable. It has a funky aftertaste that lingers in the mouth, some alcohol tastes as well.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation, fairly light (a bit heavier than something like Miller Lite though), goes down ok (minus that aftertaste).

Drinkability: This is an alright drink, but I'd limit myself on it, mostly because of the aftertaste.

Deadstar, Mar 02, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Glugs out a clear, orange-gold body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Seriously, why do I continue to subject myself to these things? Aroma of toasted, microwaved corn-based cereal and floral-scented chemicals.

Taste: Heated corn flavor with an odd sweetness. I'm not sure why I always refer to it as an "odd" sweetness, when the vast majority of these malt liquors has it. Let's start saying "off-putting sweetness," whaddya say? A needed hint of hop bitterness almost shows up, but is taste-blocked by a wave of chemical flavor. Ah well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Mercifully, it's not as nauseatingly tongue-coating as most malt liquors.

Drinkability: It's just barely tolerable, I think that's the nicest thing to be said of it. Paired well enough with a handful of salted pretzels.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 13, 2008