Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.10% ABV

Hurricane High Gravity, a high end malt liquor, offers a very full-bodied flavor with a smooth, sweet finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hurricane High Gravity Malt Liquor Alström Bros
1.18/5  rDev -50.6%

Goldish color with a white head. A bitter grassy nose makes me quiver. The taste is no better. Alcohol and old feed corn. The body is light and has enough carbonation for 80 ounces of liquor. And yes, this is liquor, not beer. It drinks like liquor as well.

rye726, May 16, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I paid $1 for this 24oz. can that is 2.5 months past the born on date. Appearance is a light golden with a thick crisp head that dissapates rather quickly. Smell is not much other than light grains and alchohol. Taste is slightly sweet, grainy and alchohol. Mouthfeel is light with some body there and a good spike of carbonation. For a lager it does have that "brewed for a distictive bold taste" but nothing complex, but still better than originally expected.

Bookseeb, May 01, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -9.2%

This is my first review, so I figured I would try out a malt liquor thats popular in my neck of the woods. I pretty much sampled it straight out of the can. Immediately upon opening it, I was hit with a strong smell of alcohol and nasty grain, which was not too appealing. I poured some of it into a rocks glass to get a look at it; it poured a pretty, deep gold color and had an off white head that dissipated fairly quickly (even after an aggressive pour), leaving little lacing. The first sip was not as bad as I expected. It consisted of very thin malt, lots of alcohol, and maybe a touch of a hop or two?? The mouthfeel was average at best, and because its fairly smooth when ice cold, drinkability is good.

Do drink this one quick, because as it warms up, it quickly becomes undrinkable. For the style, this is not bad, but not real good either.

I will not seek this out, but if offered one, I will never refuse it!

Prost!

1099, Mar 24, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +7.9%

Serving type: 40oz bottle into a glass.

Appearance: Light gold in color with a head that leaves a little bit of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Really not picking up a lot in the nose, a bit of something sweet but I can't put my finger on it.

Taste: Not the most pleasant tasting ML that I've had but it's passable. It has a funky aftertaste that lingers in the mouth, some alcohol tastes as well.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation, fairly light (a bit heavier than something like Miller Lite though), goes down ok (minus that aftertaste).

Drinkability: This is an alright drink, but I'd limit myself on it, mostly because of the aftertaste.

Deadstar, Mar 02, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Glugs out a clear, orange-gold body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Seriously, why do I continue to subject myself to these things? Aroma of toasted, microwaved corn-based cereal and floral-scented chemicals.

Taste: Heated corn flavor with an odd sweetness. I'm not sure why I always refer to it as an "odd" sweetness, when the vast majority of these malt liquors has it. Let's start saying "off-putting sweetness," whaddya say? A needed hint of hop bitterness almost shows up, but is taste-blocked by a wave of chemical flavor. Ah well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Mercifully, it's not as nauseatingly tongue-coating as most malt liquors.

Drinkability: It's just barely tolerable, I think that's the nicest thing to be said of it. Paired well enough with a handful of salted pretzels.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 13, 2008
2.78/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer is golden in color and pours with a nice white head. I actually prefer this over bud or bud light. I made the mistake of drinking three of these in one night and woke up with a pretty bad hangover. Not bad for the price, gets the job done well.

kguyty, Feb 06, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +19.2%

this poured a dark copper or red-ish orange, sudsy head that did retain a bit and left a broken lace down sides of glass.
smell was rather grainy, but with a wiff of cherries..taste follows the same with a bit of a sharp bite.
mouthfeel was typical of other malt-liquors.
drinkability is ok,but a little rough, and I'm sure a headache will follow, however I DID find this rather interesting for this type of beer..worth a try maybe?..if your budget is really, really tight. :P

steinlifter, Jan 23, 2008
2.03/5  rDev -15.1%

This "High Gravity Lager" AKA Malt Liquor is great if you want a cheap drunk but not very satisfactory as a beer. It pours a reddish brown like amber with a head and lave that disapear quickly. The smell is faint but metallic. The taste or lack of there of is very sweet but sour and corn like. There a mild hint of some type of almost fruity flavor to it. It is fizzy and burns just a little bit as it goes down.

MTNboy, Jan 05, 2008
1.58/5  rDev -33.9%

Purchased @ North Nashua Market Basket , can's born-on date exactly 30 days ago. As part of a beer-slum run, I bought this with some similar beers for the hell of it. Can looks like the energy drinks popular with the MTV crowd, therefore the 8.1% ABV is trumpeted on the front packaging.
Pours a lovely shade of... corn (mmm!) into a 22oz pilsner glass. Produces a 2 finger head with a 4 second half-life, settling to lace around the glass' rim. Very little visible carbonation afterwards.
Smells like a corn beer. If you've ever made a thin homebrew with corn sugar having replaced 60% of the malt extract... that's what you get. The carbonation that's not visible in the glass is apparent in the mouth (fizz bomb), and this overpowers all taste except the green-apple corn snap.
m- No body, strong fizz bomb with alcohol bite.
d- With less carbonation and less alcohol and a smaller container, this might be a Bud-Lite weak beer that at least serves as summer refreshment. Here, we have a not-very-enjoyable beer, whose primary mission seems to be intoxication for 99 cents.

altgeeky1, Jan 03, 2008
1.35/5  rDev -43.5%

Tall can bought from the grocery store

Had never heard of this before but it was only a buck or two, so I figured I would try it and wish I would not have

Horrible smell and a sweet taste which is a really ba mixture with a malt liquor

Light brown color with no head, could not even finish the whole can it was so bad

Stay away from this even if it is high gravity

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -26.8%

Bottle Inspection: Can lists 8.1% abv., born on date of 18OCT06 (sampled 06SEP07, I like my malt liquor aged a bit).

Aroma: Sweet candy smell like sweet tarts, a peppery note, some bread, and a slight burn in the nostrils tells me that they weren’t kidding about the abv.

Appearance: Gentle first pour gave a 3 finger head that died back quickly leaving sticky lace. Glass is hazy and amber yellow.

Flavor: Oof. Full grainy malt base with a fair dose of corn gives a cloying sweetness. Minor grassy note might be hops. The sweetness does manage to cover the alcohol taste, but nothing can hold back the kick.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body triggers a lip smacking chew. Carbonation level is high, and it dries out like a desert morning for some reason.

Overall Impression: A bit for my homies, the brown paper bag, out on the curb. This is low rent beer with one thing in mind; lowering IQ scores. While I enjoy some malt liquors, this is pretty harsh stuff. It’s a wort sweetness that kills this. It may start with a High Gravity, but it doesn’t get low enough.
Thanks to Pegasus for the sample.

HardTarget, Sep 07, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +10%

Ok seriously I had to. There was a forty of this on sale at the local gas sattion for a buck, cmon how can you pass that up, espeially when you have already had a long night. This review is gonna be messy I know it but what the hell right. Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

mikesgroove, Sep 02, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -7.9%

24 oz. can of an 8.1% brew, for $1.09, couldn't pass this up,

A: Good appearance, actually amber in colour, with a white head, which initially leaves lots of lacing, but by the end of the can, there is little to no head, even with a swirl.

S: Really nothing, besides a few corn notes, a little bit of solventy alcohol.

T: Tastes mostly of alcohol and a few grain notes, OK in the beginning, but then it becomes sweet and cloying.

M: The lightest 8.1% beer, that I have ever tasted, it feels like a light lager with a bit of solvent.

D: Not a bad macro, this will get you drunk in a hurry, but try to keep it cold, opposite of what I would say about most high alcohol brews.

Halcyondays, Aug 29, 2007

It's funny because we only get a 6% version of this in Vermont.

Pours a medium yellow color with a nice amount of carbonation. Smells of corn adjunct with alcohol mixed in. Nothing impressive there. Typical malt liquor. Sweet smell by the way. Taste is much of the same except that it feels too thin to be good. Also, the sweetness is almost too much

Brad007, Aug 13, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +31%

Big can of 8.1%,wow!
It poured a nice looking copper/bronze. Dirty white head that managed to Rather nice.

The aroma was malted corn and grain.

The taste carried that malty base backed by the cooked corn. Slight hints of grass, hey and metal with an alcoholic overtone.

Drinkability is smooth, not to hindering. Easy to drink with a meal but watch thisone. The can is big & as is the abv. The price is good and easy to go to far to quickly.

chilidog, Jul 01, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can.

Clear straw gold. Fizzy head that is gone in an instant.
ugh...aroma reminds me of nail polish. Alcohol & corn are the only things I can pick up..
Doesn't taste absolutely horrible, but very bland... flat, grainy cornflake flavor with a metallic twinge at the end.

Malt liquors like this really make me question why they put them in 16, 24, & 40 oz containers.. this would be absolutely awful if not ice cold. Thank God there's Alpha King in my fridge that can help me remove this vile taste from my mouth.

hero27, Jun 17, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -6.7%

$1.10 for a 24oz can of 8% brew! What a deal! I couldn't pass this up when I saw it at the gas station.

A - Orangey gold and pretty clear. Has a quickly fading 1 finger head of fluffy foam. Eventually, only a collar and some smokey bubbles lie on top of the beer.

S - Corny adjuntcs and the slightest whiff of alcohol. One of the least offensive malt liqours out there. Nice.

T - Sweet corn and some pretty decent hop flavors. This is the hoppiest malt liquor that I've tried by far. This actually tastes pretty damn good if you drink it quickly while still cold. Once it gets warm its all over....this one becomes pretty rot-gut once the crisp cold refreshing flavor turns to warm syrupy crap.

M - LIghter bodied than I would have guessed. Pretty neutral and unnoffensive...the alcohol is well hidden. Warmth = syrupy textures, so drink this quickly.

D - Pretty damn good. My favorite "high gravity malt liqour so far."

pmcadamis, Jun 16, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +59%

I first tried this beer out of curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised. For the money, it is probably one of the best cans of beer you can buy. I usually go for the ICE beers, and this is considerably better than those. I recommend that you give it a try, and the quick buzz never hurt either!!!

sghert, Jun 09, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One more daring dash through the gas station. This beer was liberated from the can and poured into my pub glass. The beer was served super cold out of the freezer. My glass hasnt shattered yet so I guess it is time.

Appearance: This beer actually looks like a beer in my glass. The body of the beer has a golden yellow coloration. The head of the beer is a thin white coloration. The bubbling active carbonation helps maintain the head.

Smell: The beer has a spicey corney malty smell. The spiceyness has to be from the alcohol. The alcohol is smells sort of like Papov dilute vodka or something similar.

Taste: The beer is pretty two dimensional. The flavors are alcohol infused corn maltyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a body that is just shy of medium. The carbonation is active but not problematic. The alcohol is actually stinging. Yuck! Due to stinging alcohol this isnt particularly drinkable. It doesnt approach a sink pour but not good.
I wont be drinking this one again.

nlmartin, Mar 20, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -39.3%

Bought this can at the local gas station. This beer poured fairly well with a nice amber orange hue. For a cheap lager it looked good. Smell was corn with a bit of pepper. The taste was as it smelled, lot's of corn. I could not finish this beer and as it got warmer drinkability got worse.

srrn, Dec 05, 2006
1.7/5  rDev -28.9%

For the price this is pretty damn good, for the quality...eh..Good beer for getting a quick buzz though....

A: Looks pretty average, pours a corn yellow and has a decently long lasting head with a sort of light brown body. Nothing special.

S: Smells a bit spicy, with cheap-o malts. Kinda drunk now.

T: Tastes spicy with a bit of a seltzer taste. I get an aftertaste of olives, along with a slight unpleasent dryness. Not impressed.

M: The taste makes it a bit hard going down, eh.

D: A slight acidic burn to the backof my throat after a drink. With the taste, some might heave.

Bottom Line, if you need a bit of a pick me up, had a bad day at work, and/or low on cash, this is your beer of choice. Although it's it's not much for taste.

xtremejammn, Nov 19, 2006
2.53/5  rDev +5.9%

You know... for a bum beer, this isn't bad...

I'm used to swilling 211 or old english when i want to get crunk/drunk/blitzed/gone on a severe budget.

my preferred choice is rainier ale 40oz bottles...

but this stuff... it almost tastes like regular bullshit lager (budweiser/miller/etc)

i can actually swig this and not feel like a yak just pissed in my mouth.

this is my new malt liquor of choice. when i need to buy a beer for $1 and absolutely need to get trashed really quick, i'm drinking Hurricane High Gravity!

It has very little sour malt aftertaste, and doesn't feel horrible in the mouth. not great, but not horrible. i can stand drinking this stuff, possibly more than one.

When you're broke and need to get pissed, grab a hurricane!

idResponse, Nov 12, 2006
3.15/5  rDev +31.8%

I am actually a true lover of good beer, having begun drinking it legally at 18, distinguishing flavors right away (fire brewed Stroh's, for instance, had a distinct flavor that was quite nice, despite its reputation for extraordinary hangovers. Today's Stroh's is not bad for a scag beer, but is totally different from the original.) Back then, I only could try, as an alternative, non-American beers like Becks, Heineken, Labatt's 50, and such stuff.
When I first tasted Guinness, the idea of beer became kaleidoscopic. I was still only 18 or 19 then, turned on to it by my great friend Angus McDove. It became my favorite drink, although a plethora of fine imports became available, until many many years later when the micro brewery movement began - for me, with Bell's in my home town of Kalamazoo.
With that said, back to Hurricane.
I'm rating it as a high gravity beer, not as a good beer.
Among high gravity beers, this is my favorite so far.
I've had some nasty ones.
Let's face it, AB is competing for the best market share among those who don't kid themselves about wanting a buzz when they drink. For some, the reason may be a recent going to hell of a relationship, for others it may be habitual. There may be a zillion variations of motive, but the buzz is the main thing.
With that in mind, Hurricane is the cure. It, so far, is the easiest to drink because it basically tastes like beer instead of chemicals. Cheap hops (I concede a certain possibility of insecticide contamination) contribute a bitter lid to the mason jar of leftover malt. But I like malt and I can taste it. I've had some sad examples of Oktoberfest here in my brewing town, as well as in bottles; Oktoberfest! when malt reigns supreme, only to taste as much malt as I do in Hurricane. That says something for the maltiness of Hurricane, at least.
So, I rate it high among beers meant to do what beers are really meant to do.

BellsBum, Oct 25, 2006
1.78/5  rDev -25.5%

Can't beat $1.25 for 24oz can. Pours an orange color different from your usual lager. Smells like cheap lager. Tastes like crappy malt liquor, grainy, corn like, corn syrup and fusel alcohol. Mouthfeel is like water. If you need a buzz go for it, or if your poor sure why not. Otherwise it's not worth your time or attention.

Manosbeeroffate, Oct 19, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -13%

Sipped from a champagne flute.

A - Rich golden yellow with a three finger head that has fairly impressive retention and left a moderately size ring of lacing behind.

S - Strong rice, milder corn and sweat.

T - Pungent rice flavor with no hops whatsoever. It does have a funny alcohol taste, sort of like diluted isopropyl. Not good.

M - Thin, somewhat refreshing.

D - Not too bad. There are better malt liquor options, but the high gravity world require a less descerning palate. Not good for food. This is a crunk beer and nothing more.

mrasskicktastic, Aug 17, 2006