ZiegenBock Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-24-2002

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.
to view more.
Ratings: 381 | Reviews: 133
Reviews by hopfacebrew:

Repost of review from hacked account "jmkratt" :(

Served on tap to pint glass. I was told by my buddy in Dallas it was a Texas brew that rivaled Shiner. Turns out neither were true.

A: Pours a deep translucent burgundy amber color. Small 1/2 finger white/tan head. Little retention or lacing.

S - Malty sweetness. No hops or alcohol detected. Very little aroma.

T - Just like the nose, malty sweetness throughout and not much else. Mild bitterness. Not a lot to report, rather disappointing.

M - Light bodied with adequate carbonation. Finishes crisp and clean.

O - Disappointing and very average. Lacks any worthy aroma, flavor, and body. Not a Texas craft beer. I wouldn't bother with it again.

Reviewed on: 06-29-2011 16:32:53

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance - This poured a thin-looking amber brown in color with a small off-white head.

Smell - This was a mixed bag. On the one hand I could pick up some decent-smelling malts, nicely toasted with hints of sugar, but then also there was a stale kind of grain aroma.

Taste - The beer had the same contradiction at the taste. There was a smooth malt flavor that would have been terrific had it been a bit bigger and flying solo, but along comes this kind of stale cornish thing that made this beer difficult to drink.

Mouthfeel - This really felt like a well-lagered beer in the mouth. It was light-bodied for sure but had a nice sense of creaminess. The carbonation was mild from the tap which made for a smooth drink.

Drinkability - The mouthfeel really saved this beer for me and I actually ordered another one. I guess AB is selling this in TX only to compete against Shiner and if that is the case then Zeigenbock is a better drink IMO.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

Drank one of these at the Salt Lick, a BYOB BBQ joint near Driftwood, TX.

This beer reminded me a lot of Bud or MGD. It's light in body and flavor containing just a touch of pale and perhaps caramel malts and barely a touch of hops. Unlike the aforementioned beers, however, this beer didn't have any obnoxious metallic, chemical, rice, or corn syrup qualities and even finished with a nice honey-nut flavor. I actual liked it for what it was, a light, easy drinking macro. It went just fine with some BBQ although I did prefer the local crafts we brought with us to this one. One of the dryer and better AB products I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%

I liked it. It was cold, fresh and tasted great. No problems with it whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I thought it was great!

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
The beer was a dark amber color with a medium-sized tan head that disappeared within seconds.
Faint caramel malt aroma.
While the aroma was barely there, the taste was even more underwhelming. It tasted sweet, and that's about all you can say.
I felt like I was drinking sugar water.
Drink this if you must.

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Medium to dark, clear brown with a tan head. The aroma is grain and lightly toasted malt with not too much else going on. The flavor is a little bit of dark fruit with a lot of grain, toasted malt and some grass notes. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not offensive, but a relatively flavorless beer with no real exciting qualities.

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%

When poured from an inch or so above the glass yo get a big white head that fades into a small lacing above a clear brown amber colored beer.

A light almost caramel malt aroma, not really enough to encourage a person but there is a little bit there.

A light caramel malt taste pretty much the same thing a Amber Bock by these guys, it really didn't have much aftertaste at all either.

Not really a beer to brag about other than it's from AB and i's one of their better beers, kinda sad.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

"Special" for Texas, only made at their Houston brewery.

Is this their reply to Shiner Bock?

Pours dark red-brown with a fair to middlin white head.
Nothing much for me in the aroma. Perhaps a bit of grain.
Just enough body here to be a decent alternative to all the low calorie brews they suck up in the Lone Star State.

Yeah- it's "drinkable, but I'd give the edge to the Shiner.

[Note- unless Texas dictates otherwise I have to believe the ABV on this is beter than 4% and in line with the Michelob products).

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Macro brewery, however this is underrated in that it is more than a passable brew. Light colour, creamy in mouth, light mouthfeel. Aroma a bit cheesy negative. Drinkable. Some bitterness in finish. Not really a bock. Thanks Grub for something new and different.

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

As I understand it, ZiegenBock Amber is only sold in Texas; and is probably intended to compete with Shiner Bock. Neither beer is particularly exciting (nor a bock), and to be honest I didn't see alot of either one during my recent trip to Austin (of course, Austin's weird!) but...

ZiegenBock is a dark, crimson-accented copper in the glass. The head is just slightly darker than bone-white, and holds well. It even leaves some nice lacing behind.

The aroma is lightly malty with a touch of sweet dark caramel and a hint of chocolate in the background. The limited hops can barely make their way through, but they're seeming grassy and floral.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but fuller. The malt is softly sweet with a supple dark caramel character that's just enough to keep you coming back for more, and the spicy and floral hops balance it nicely. A firm bitterness keeps it centered from the start, and ushers in a refreshing, dry finish the lingers gently with a sweetish drop of darkened sugar.

Nicely done! Very drinkable in flavor, balance, and body. You could easily have quite a few of these during a night out with the boys if you were just interested in throwin' 'em back.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark amber color with a flourish of an off-white head that quickly dissipates into just a whisp on top. Sweet, almost cloying aroma of adjunct malt and the faintest hint of cheap hops, accented by a touch of caramel on the finish. Mouthfeel is a little thin. I guess you could drink a lot of this, but I don't see why you would want to.

ZiegenBock pours a deep mahogany color with a light head formation and a slightly malty nose. The beer is a little sweet at first. There is a nutty taste shortly thereafter with hints of caramel. The beer seems to have a sweet finish as well. This would not be one of my regular go to's, but its not bad either. Worth a shot if you see it on tap at a bar, but I don't think I'd ever buy a six pack.

3.68/5  rDev +31%

Oh Ziegenbock - the house beer at the resort i'm working at this week and a welcomed alternative at Ranger's stadium

maybe the expectations were really low coming to texas, or maybe i just dont mind this beer, but i find the reviews to be ridiculously low

on-tap, numerous samplings. cell phone notes

appearance: dark amber body, bordering on brown, with a creamy beige head and light retention

smell: nutty, caramel malts, grainy and artificially sweet

taste: more than adequate - the best anheuser busch beer i have ever had by far and only available in texas. A smooth caramel-apple flavor profile, nutty and grainy - an amber that exceeds that of many micro efforts

mouthfeel: medium - quaffable

drinkability: just fine

4.46/5  rDev +58.7%

For me, this is one of the most drinkable and enjoyable beers I have ever had. It is not over-carbonated like most common American beers. I like the mouthfeel of ZiegenBock. To me, over-carbonated beers all have bite that I do not like. ZiegenBock does not have this bite but is quite pleasurable on the palate. It is also lightly sweet, not bitter.

I call ZiegenBock my favorite "dinner beer" or "table beer", which is mostly the only way I drink beer. I have one almost every night with my dinner for 2+ years now. I don't understand all the low rating reviews it gets on BA. I love it, it is my first choice preferred beer. My local convenience store carries it just for me.

It is owned by AB but is brewed here in the Houston area.

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Nice color with no real head. Pretty decent carbonation.

S: Very malty and bready. Slighty hoppy toward the end. Kind of a crispness in your nose.

T: The taste is very smooth. Lots of malts and very little hops.

Overall this is exactly what I would expect from Anheuser-Bush in a Red Lager. It's in competition to the Shiner bock, and marketed in Texas hence the reason they taste quite similar. This beer, however smooth it is, lacks a real flavor, as some other beers like it do. Pretty good but not one I would pick again on my trips to TX.

3.19/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Dark brown pours a thick head with a good bit of linger

S: Not much here, just a little bit of malt and a little bit of hops.

T: Not much here either, just some light roasted malt with a semi-dry finish

M: Medium body with a good bit of carbonation

Good cheap beer to choose at a bar or club in Texas. On the whole though, not something I would pick up at a store to drink on my own.

3.42/5  rDev +21.7%

When I purchased this today in Orange, Texas, I though this was a Shiner Bock Amber version. I know realize it said ZeigenBock. Not bad for an amber. The label says it's brewed and available only in Texas but it's a Anheuser Busch beer. Oh well. Nothing too exciting for an Amber but I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap in Houston's Hobby Airport. Interesting to see a beer I've never heard of sold at every restaurant in the building. Interesting powers are at work here. Beer pours a reddish amber with an inch of slightly off white head. Pours extremely clear and the head peters out quickly.

Bit of caramel malt on the nose but otherwise rather still and metallic though served quite chilled. As the beer warms, a bit of smokiness presents itself.

Flavor was a bit syrupy at first when really chilled, and gave me an impression of a modified base beer. This too improved a bit with some warming but never amounted to much, becoming a bit drier and chalkier. At this point I sensed that the ABV was rather light and the 4.0% number noted doesn't surprise me.

Decent feel and drink, light bodied without a whole lotta oomph. Could have confused this with an ale.

'Available only in Texas' says the neon sign. I sense this to be a local brew picked up by AB vs. a true AB product, though I'll let someone else research it further...

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Dark brown like coca-cola. Head is thin, and goes away quickly.

S- Burnt wood and ashes. A little bit bitter smell.

T- Taste is watery and bland. The burnt taste is there too.

M- Very watery and no thickness or backbone what so ever. No malt factor.

D- Drinkability is the best selling point for this one because it is so watered down. If you are in TX and want a beer like this, go ahead and take Shiner Bock. It is better than this. (but not much!)

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this during a 3-hour layover in the Dallas/Fort Worth airport on my way to Cali for the Bruery RS Party. Was told it was a local brew... Served from tap into a mug. Poured red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained very minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and nutmeg. The flavor was of sweet malt, nutmeg, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall I was not a fan of this at all. Not much going on here as it was weak in all aspects and dare I say, watered down... After this mug full I started pounding double Jack & Cokes until my flight left. What should I have expected... I was in an airport afterall.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tasting notes May 2009.
Pours to a compact white head and a bit of lacing. Dark amber/brown color. Aroma is sweet with crystal malt and buttery aromas. Low hop aroma. Flavor is sweet and malty/grainy with a caramel note. Mouthfeel is thin and bubbly. Some character but not enough to make it a true "craft beer" This is right up there with Shiner Bock and a notch below Amber Bock.

3.62/5  rDev +28.8%

I can't believe I'm saying this about an AB product, but when I'm in Texas at a ball-game and Shiner isn't available, then I'll reach for one of these. Not great, but not too bad.

Definately a very drinkable dark beer. Yes, the head fades quickly, but ZB is a very smooth, easy beer. There is no lingering bitterness that is so common with other dark beers. It has a malty flavor that compliments any meat dish quite well. Drink VERY cold.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured on-tap into frosted?! pint glass.

A: Burgundy in color. Clear. Slight light tan head.

S: Mostly sweet malts. I am having a hard time smelling much. Maybe because it's so cold, maybe because there's not much to smell.

T: More of the same as the scent. Malt flavor is there, but flavor is very low-key.

M: Mouthfeel works with the environment I'm drinking this in. Light, watery and cold. Perfect for the 90 degree weather.

O: I was fooled into believing that this was a local Texas beer. Only now when I went to write this review did I learn that it was brewed by AB. That being said, I wasn't very impressed with it while drinking it. It really lacked body and character. While drinkable, it was nothing special.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear deep amber color that edges on ruby. Light tan fizzy head that slowly settles to a thin cap. Spotty lacing along the glass.

Toasty malt aromas with not much else.

There is nothing "bock" about this bock. It has some grainy malt, but it is very bland. The alcohol weighs in at 4%ABV, which is nothing like a bock. It's just a dark lager. Watery, light bodied, and fizzy.

This is probably AB's attempt to brew a beer to compete with Texas' Shiner Bock. Neither are great examples, but this one is just a watery lager that had a longer boil. Compared to Budweiser this is dark and heavy, however. Drink at your own risk.

3.45/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass:

Appearance: The color was a deep red/amber with an off-white head that disapated very quickly.No laceing and a small amount of beading can be found.

Smell: A strong wood and brazilnut combo make up the aroma in full.A sweet caramel and toffee odor is also assumed.Not bad at all.

Taste: Strong woody and nutty exist in the taste as well.A light tea flavored, with a nice semi-sweet caramel malt backbone.A mild smoke accent in the finish.Meduim carbonation.

Mouthfeel: A meduim to thin body,clean,smooth easy drinking.

Drinkability: This seems like the perfect beer to drink while doing yard work and crafty hobbies.Cheap and easy drinking.

Cheers2Beers