ZiegenBock Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-24-2002

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 374 | Reviews: 130

4.8/5  rDev +70.8%

4.75/5  rDev +69%

4.5/5  rDev +60.1%

4.46/5  rDev +58.7%

For me, this is one of the most drinkable and enjoyable beers I have ever had. It is not over-carbonated like most common American beers. I like the mouthfeel of ZiegenBock. To me, over-carbonated beers all have bite that I do not like. ZiegenBock does not have this bite but is quite pleasurable on the palate. It is also lightly sweet, not bitter.

I call ZiegenBock my favorite "dinner beer" or "table beer", which is mostly the only way I drink beer. I have one almost every night with my dinner for 2+ years now. I don't understand all the low rating reviews it gets on BA. I love it, it is my first choice preferred beer. My local convenience store carries it just for me.

It is owned by AB but is brewed here in the Houston area.

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%

I liked it. It was cold, fresh and tasted great. No problems with it whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I thought it was great!

4.24/5  rDev +50.9%

4.06/5  rDev +44.5%

Drinking it at a Chili's in Houston International. I find it very good with the boneless wings. I could pound a few of these down with no problem. Surprised to read that it is an A Busch product. Must have been an aquisition because this is too good to be their recipe.

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

As I understand it, ZiegenBock Amber is only sold in Texas; and is probably intended to compete with Shiner Bock. Neither beer is particularly exciting (nor a bock), and to be honest I didn't see alot of either one during my recent trip to Austin (of course, Austin's weird!) but...

ZiegenBock is a dark, crimson-accented copper in the glass. The head is just slightly darker than bone-white, and holds well. It even leaves some nice lacing behind.

The aroma is lightly malty with a touch of sweet dark caramel and a hint of chocolate in the background. The limited hops can barely make their way through, but they're seeming grassy and floral.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but fuller. The malt is softly sweet with a supple dark caramel character that's just enough to keep you coming back for more, and the spicy and floral hops balance it nicely. A firm bitterness keeps it centered from the start, and ushers in a refreshing, dry finish the lingers gently with a sweetish drop of darkened sugar.

Nicely done! Very drinkable in flavor, balance, and body. You could easily have quite a few of these during a night out with the boys if you were just interested in throwin' 'em back.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
ZiegenBock Amber from Anheuser-Busch