ZiegenBock Amber - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-24-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
LXIXME

New Mexico

2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

When poured from an inch or so above the glass yo get a big white head that fades into a small lacing above a clear brown amber colored beer.

A light almost caramel malt aroma, not really enough to encourage a person but there is a little bit there.

A light caramel malt taste pretty much the same thing a Amber Bock by these guys, it really didn't have much aftertaste at all either.

Not really a beer to brag about other than it's from AB and i's one of their better beers, kinda sad.

11-24-2011 03:57:46 | More by LXIXME
Duff27

11-20-2011 22:54:19 | More by Duff27
dehjosh

11-18-2011 02:17:43 | More by dehjosh
Mac19872

11-17-2011 02:59:48 | More by Mac19872
gtermi

A: The appearance is suprising to me, it was a brown with a kind of bubbly head.

S: I get a decent amount of malt and thats really it.

T: A product that is from AB, I wasnt expecting something this drinkable. It is a decent beer to have with your BBQ and has enough malt taste to be enjoyable.

M: This beer has a lot of carbonation, but it isnt overwhelming.

Overall this is a decent beer to drink if there is nothing else around.

10-07-2011 06:06:49 | More by gtermi
Mora2000

2.58/5  rDev -7.2%

Medium to dark, clear brown with a tan head. The aroma is grain and lightly toasted malt with not too much else going on. The flavor is a little bit of dark fruit with a lot of grain, toasted malt and some grass notes. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not offensive, but a relatively flavorless beer with no real exciting qualities.

08-06-2011 02:10:28 | More by Mora2000
mjurney

3.28/5  rDev +18%

Appearance:
Copper color, clear. Good amount of carbonation. Head is small.

Aroma:
Aroma is light. Very sweet grainy, a little caramel.

Taste:
Sweet malts up front along with crisp finish. Malt is sweet, but clean. I’m getting slight hint of caramel. Very light bitterness at the end. Body is very crisp. Well carbonated.

Finish:
Crisp finish, clean aftertaste. Highly drinkable.

Overall:
It lacks in flavor, but its highly drinkable.

07-30-2011 16:37:32 | More by mjurney
JMad

I drank this from a pint sized mug.
Brownish copper with a fluffy tan colored head. The smell consists of sweet, corny, metallic, with just a hint of caramel. Tastes of sweet malt with a hint of butter and toffee. It has a light medium body with low but soft carbonation. Better than other macro lagers but still nothing to brag about.

07-16-2011 00:44:12 | More by JMad
Rootdog316

ZiegenBock pours a deep mahogany color with a light head formation and a slightly malty nose. The beer is a little sweet at first. There is a nutty taste shortly thereafter with hints of caramel. The beer seems to have a sweet finish as well. This would not be one of my regular go to's, but its not bad either. Worth a shot if you see it on tap at a bar, but I don't think I'd ever buy a six pack.

05-10-2011 18:24:17 | More by Rootdog316
gmfessen

2.85/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, Ziegenbock is amber-brown in color with a white, fizzy head. The nose is sweet maltiness, nothing more, nothing less. The taste is just as remarkable as the smell, slightly sweet caramel maltiness but that's about it. Mouthfeel is a light medium body with minimal carbonation. Overall, not a bad beer but nothing remarkable either. Like most, I thought this was a genuine Texas beer but was duped by A.B. I would definitely go with Shiner over this but it is a better alternative to the standard light beer.

05-01-2011 21:48:29 | More by gmfessen
dali27

2.98/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured on-tap into frosted?! pint glass.

A: Burgundy in color. Clear. Slight light tan head.

S: Mostly sweet malts. I am having a hard time smelling much. Maybe because it's so cold, maybe because there's not much to smell.

T: More of the same as the scent. Malt flavor is there, but flavor is very low-key.

M: Mouthfeel works with the environment I'm drinking this in. Light, watery and cold. Perfect for the 90 degree weather.

O: I was fooled into believing that this was a local Texas beer. Only now when I went to write this review did I learn that it was brewed by AB. That being said, I wasn't very impressed with it while drinking it. It really lacked body and character. While drinkable, it was nothing special.

04-18-2011 05:18:19 | More by dali27
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

ZiegenBock Amber has a very thick, creamy, beige head and a clear, amber appearance, with some bubbles and not too much lacing left behind. The aroma is almost neutral, but some metallic smell is detected. Taste is sweet and mild; a little malt can be tasted, and hop bitterness is relatively low. Mouthfeel is light and very watery, and ZiegenBock Amber finishes crisp, refreshing, and dry. Overall, a rather dull beer. I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

RJT

04-09-2011 02:36:00 | More by RonaldTheriot
DoktorZee

Alberta (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

On tap at an airport. The didn't have Shiner, sadly.

A - light amber brown with no head and no lacing. Slightly cloudy.

S - just the slightest hint of malt on the nose.

T - initial light tap of grassy hops shifting to watered down malt, and then nothing. Unfortunately very little to this beer.

M - very light with sharp carbonation.

D - Really drinkable, but no good reason to do so.

Until I got ready to review this I didn't realize it was a Anheuser-Busch flanker against Shiner. Sad. And unfortunately not a very good beer!

04-03-2011 00:40:34 | More by DoktorZee
ElCommodoro

2.68/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer poured a rich-looking transparent dark brown. It was a beautiful looking pour for an amber beer. The perfect colour. With a nice creamy head on it. Unfortunately, I had to put it in my mouth, at which point it stopped being a bock beer. There must be a colouring agent in this. At a dollar a bottle, I suppose there must be. This is not a bock beer. There is no malt complexity to it, so don't expect any. However, it is similar in price to a lot of "water beers" out there and in comparison to them, this is really quite a good beer. Put it in the freezer for a while as you should with any water beer and it comes out very refreshing. It's got enough hops in it to make it go down real good and real smooth when it's ice cold. It leaves sort of a thick feeling in your mouth afterwards as if you just drank something sugary or a malty beer. But it doesn't taste sweet or malty at all. So, I don't know what that's about. This is a GREAT water beer. You just have to know better than to expect a bock. Once you're over the fact that it's not, it's really quite refreshing.

Compared To The Standard (Shiner Bock):
Ziegenbock is Anheuser-Busch's answer to Shiner Bock, I assume. It's only available in Texas and they've undercut the price on Shiner. However, if you're looking for a bock, this is much further from the real thing than a shiner. If you're looking for a refreshing water beer, this is better than Shiner AND most water beers. But other than just enough hops to make it nice and crisp, there is NO FLAVOUR aside from a weird annoying aftertaste. The best point about this beer is its keg price. It competes with the bottom of the barrel in keg prices. I don't know how. Keystone might be the only keg cheaper than this. If you're throwing a party and wondering whether to get Bud Light, High Life, Ziegenbock or anything else that costs under $90, it's an easy choice. Get this! It may not be impressive, but it totally beats piss water and is the same price! Sadly, this beer is only made in Houston and therefore anything outside of AB's Houston distribution area doesn't have this choice.

04-01-2011 09:02:23 | More by ElCommodoro
locotonyf

4.55/5  rDev +63.7%

For me, this is one of the most drinkable and enjoyable beers I have ever had. It is not over-carbonated like most common American beers. I like the mouthfeel of ZiegenBock. To me, over-carbonated beers all have bite that I do not like. ZiegenBock does not have this bite but is quite pleasurable on the palate. It is also lightly sweet, not bitter.

I call ZiegenBock my favorite "dinner beer" or "table beer", which is mostly the only way I drink beer. I have one almost every night with my dinner for 2+ years now. I don't understand all the low rating reviews it gets on BA. I love it, it is my first choice preferred beer. My local convenience store carries it just for me.

It is owned by AB but is brewed here in the Houston area.

03-04-2011 15:03:13 | More by locotonyf
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.8/5  rDev +0.7%

I had seen this on shelves for a couple years, but had never gotten around to trying it, so I decided to give it a shot last night and see what it was about. I served the 12o bottle straight out of the fridge and poured it into a Pint glass. The pour was decent, with a bright, honey colored amber with amazing clarity and lots of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass. A good sized two finger head of white froth jumped up right after the pour, however it settled down rather quickly and I did not see much of it after that. Really did not leave behind much of anything.

The aroma was non existent, mostly just dull grain and wheat and a touch of rice. Nothing really much going on here, the flavor was more of the same. Unfortunately it was just dull and boring, and that was quite a shame. Hints of rice and cereal grains, and a sickly sweet ginger soda like flavor were all that I could really make it from this one. A good bit of carbonation in it and as for a beer you could chug down in quantity, in that regards it was not half bad.

Overall It was just too bland for me, nothing really going on with it. Could be worse though, and still better then ,most of the macro stuff you see.

02-23-2011 00:15:31 | More by mikesgroove
mdunman

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Dark brown pours a thick head with a good bit of linger

S: Not much here, just a little bit of malt and a little bit of hops.

T: Not much here either, just some light roasted malt with a semi-dry finish

M: Medium body with a good bit of carbonation

Good cheap beer to choose at a bar or club in Texas. On the whole though, not something I would pick up at a store to drink on my own.

02-13-2011 03:16:58 | More by mdunman
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Had this during a 3-hour layover in the Dallas/Fort Worth airport on my way to Cali for the Bruery RS Party. Was told it was a local brew... Served from tap into a mug. Poured red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained very minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and nutmeg. The flavor was of sweet malt, nutmeg, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall I was not a fan of this at all. Not much going on here as it was weak in all aspects and dare I say, watered down... After this mug full I started pounding double Jack & Cokes until my flight left. What should I have expected... I was in an airport afterall.

01-14-2011 14:29:49 | More by thagr81us
midwestbrewers

Kansas

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Nice color with no real head. Pretty decent carbonation.

S: Very malty and bready. Slighty hoppy toward the end. Kind of a crispness in your nose.

T: The taste is very smooth. Lots of malts and very little hops.

Overall this is exactly what I would expect from Anheuser-Bush in a Red Lager. It's in competition to the Shiner bock, and marketed in Texas hence the reason they taste quite similar. This beer, however smooth it is, lacks a real flavor, as some other beers like it do. Pretty good but not one I would pick again on my trips to TX.

01-02-2011 03:48:26 | More by midwestbrewers
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.88/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a light off white fizzy head. No retention. Color is an amber brown. Clear.

Aroma: Caramel and bready malts. Very lager like. Grassy hops. Corn and grain.

Taste: More like an adjunct lager than a bock. Some caramel and bready malts with some earthy/grassy hops. Grains and corn again.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends dry and malty.

Overall, this wasn't a very good bock. Maybe it's an amber, but still it isn't too good. More like an adjunct lager. Not for me. Too much carbonation. Not very drinkable at all.

? -2-2-1.5-1.5

11-30-2010 02:36:12 | More by mothman
mikeg67

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

On tap at "TX Road House", Victoria TX. Pours dark red hue, lively carbonation. Sweet, fruity aroma. Medium, crisp body. Regular, flavorless, macro taste without any finish. I think Anheuser-Busch was trying to copy Schiner Bock here. I will avoid this one.

11-15-2010 22:51:56 | More by mikeg67
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

A 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
The beer was a dark amber color with a medium-sized tan head that disappeared within seconds.
Faint caramel malt aroma.
While the aroma was barely there, the taste was even more underwhelming. It tasted sweet, and that's about all you can say.
I felt like I was drinking sugar water.
Drink this if you must.

10-19-2010 00:41:17 | More by lordofthewiens
Radome

2.95/5  rDev +6.1%

I saw this on tap next to Shiner Bock at a bar in San Antonio. I tried it since it was the only beer on tap I was unfamiliar with.

A - This was a clear amber with very little head. Visually it could have been an AmberBock or anything else along those lines.

S - Had some roasted and malt aromas along with some lager sulphur notes, but very muted.

T - Very bland and forgettable. Obviously a lager with some roasted and sweet highlights, but not much.

M - Watery and low carbonation.

D - Obviously designed as a competitor to Shiner, but not up to the task. I did not want more than one.

08-17-2010 03:50:37 | More by Radome
Redrover

2.63/5  rDev -5.4%

I had this one on tap at the Astros ballpark. My other choices were Miller or Bud Light....

Poured into a plastic cub the beer is a light brown with amber highlights. There is a skin of beige foam.

The nose is underpowered. If you strain you can pick-up a bit of grain and something metallic.

The taste is very mild. There is an initial taste of slightly roasted malts that fads and is backfilled by some standard crackers and a bit more of that metallic bite.

The mouth is thin with strong carbonation.

It was easy to drink and I had three of them due to the lack of anything better.

06-04-2010 14:49:53 | More by Redrover
aristeros

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -7.2%

"Worthy of a Texan," eh?

I'm from Jersey, so I can't judge that. Pours a medium amber into my trusty Bodum pint. No head, just froth. Medium amber color, -very- active carbonation like a macro lager. Doesn't give a 'bock' vibe. Smells of light caramel and toasted malts.

Off to a bad start.

Malty, semi-sweet, with very strong carbonation. Slight metallic aftertaste, not much going on. That's familiar and reminiscent of some other nasties I've had--(checks the label)--ahh, Anheuser Busch. That'd explain it.

Anyhow, carbonation and mouthfeel are more of a lager-type. Placed conspicuously adjacent to Shiner Bock with a logo emphasizing Texas. It's bottled in Houston, but it just seems as if this is made for takin' out Shiner Bock.

It's inferior to Shiner in nearly every way. The label MAY be slightly cooler. Tough to tell. I'm sorry, now, for not getting my go-to cheap beer.

05-30-2010 02:49:00 | More by aristeros