ZiegenBock Amber - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-24-2002)
EnojysAnyBeer

3.4/5  rDev +21.4%

Although this beer is produced by Anheuser-Busch, I wouldn't expect it to be by the characteristics of this beer. It really surprised me.

A- The bottle is a nice dark amber with a decent looking label, clearly an A-B production when you look close. When poured, gave a small bone white head that left a decent ring and a bit of lace that went away quickly. Beer is dark walnut / dark amber and is semi-transparent

S- Couldn't really get a smell off this one, but what I got was basic beer, yeast and sweet wheat malts

T- The taste of this brew surprised me, but was nothing exceptional. Sweet caramel malts are the bulk of the flavor, with some other sweet wheaty malt in the background.

M- Feels all right, but maybe too much carbonation

D- Drinks fine for me, like a light beer with character

Notes- Does not remind me of the other three Amber Lagers I've had before. Also has 4.00ABV so you can drink like a Light

08-03-2008 02:38:50 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
weissbierdrinker

2.78/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a bottle, the head is a tanish color but is small and leaves very little lacing around the glass.

The color is very nice and looks like it is going to be a tasty amber beer.

smell is not very strong.

Taste is smooth at first then some slightly burnt caramel flavors come in and the finish is smooth but very watery. It's a bit of a dissapointment, it dosen't have any of the characteristics that you'd look for in an amber beer. I'd drink it again but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

07-22-2008 17:33:02 | More by weissbierdrinker
Durge

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev +14.3%

Ordered this at the Grey Rock 19th hole when visiting my buddy in Austin, Texas. I had never heard of it and expected some local bock beer. Didn't have a clue it was another AB marketing ploy until now. It had a golden brown color with a modest off-white head and lace. The aroma brings mild caramel and wheat. Quite aqueous, very well carbonated, refreshing and very easy drinking. Wheat and toffee, mild malt. OK when poured cold on a hot day.

06-28-2008 17:29:24 | More by Durge
mhewes

2.13/5  rDev -23.9%

Tried this one at a friend's party. Drank this one out of the bottle so I can't vouch for the appearance and I'm not going to try to get the smell out of the bottle. To be honest, there was not much to this beer. It has a pretty bland taste with some malt flavors. It was thin and watery. It wasn't offensive or anything, it was just a boring beer. Not something I would drink again but if it's the only thing around, I may pick it up.

05-05-2008 19:03:53 | More by mhewes
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

Drank one of these at the Salt Lick, a BYOB BBQ joint near Driftwood, TX.

This beer reminded me a lot of Bud or MGD. It's light in body and flavor containing just a touch of pale and perhaps caramel malts and barely a touch of hops. Unlike the aforementioned beers, however, this beer didn't have any obnoxious metallic, chemical, rice, or corn syrup qualities and even finished with a nice honey-nut flavor. I actual liked it for what it was, a light, easy drinking macro. It went just fine with some BBQ although I did prefer the local crafts we brought with us to this one. One of the dryer and better AB products I've had.

04-28-2008 14:09:23 | More by DaPeculierDane
Domingo

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Had this at the Houston airport. I saw the logo on the wall and their slogans that only Texans know about it...so I figured it must be along the lines of Shiner.
Arrived a pretty nice looking dark amber color. Certainly looks the part. A creamy foam head sits on top, too. Looks good!
The smell is...almost of nothing. It's got a pretty standard light lager sourness with a tiny hint of malt. No hops, and really nothing going on.
Flavor is also pretty much dead on arrival. Reminds me of Michelob Ultra Amber, and I'm not exaggerating. It's a little more bready, but there's just no substance. If you took a Bud Light, darkened it, and dropped in a couple of roasted nuts you'd probably get a flavor just like this.
I ordered a pint-cup of this and I finished about 1/2 of it before I got bored.
There's nothing inherently wrong going on, but there's nothing right either.
This is the most boring beer I've had in a long time just because it's trying to be something it's not. Shiner Bock isn't great, but it at least has some substance and some maltiness to it. This "bock" isn't even as potent or flavorful as normal Budweiser.

03-21-2008 15:36:44 | More by Domingo
armock

2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Poured a dark amber color with a tan head

S - Fairly light sweet malt

T - Is of sweet malt and a touch of caramel

M - A little thin with lighter carbonation

D - This is a seession beer with some flavor it was the best thing on tap at the Toyota center so I drank three durring the Rockets game not a bad beer will drink it again durring the next game I go to

03-13-2008 21:02:14 | More by armock
ElGeordie

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

I've tried Shiner Bock a few times and remained VERY unimpressed. A few Texans told me that I should try ZiegenBock - so I did.
The born-on date stamped on the label gave away this one's parentage. But I try to be open minded, so in the name of science I drank a few anyway.
Visually the Ziegenbock is darker than Shiner's version, the head seems to be better too, it was creamier and lasted much longer.
Tastewise, although nowhere near what a bock should be it did at least have a trace of malt - more than can be said for Shiner Bock.
At the end of the day I wouldn't drink this by choice but it is (as many Texans had told me) better than Shiner Bock. Although they're both just dark macro lagers.

03-05-2008 21:12:02 | More by ElGeordie
MrHungryMonkey

3.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Orange hued amber, good clarity, good little bubbly head.

Head-on maltiness abundant with toast and sweetness. Faint hop character is spicy.

Thin body with fizzy/sudsy carbonation.

Not bad. A better 'Bock' than Shiner (I'm afraid) and a truly better choice than a pale Macro Lager, the Ziegen is quite drinkable, especially so - I recollect - on draught. I haven't had one in a long while, I felt a revisit was due.

Why does Texas have mock Bocks? It's like a pet store selling Miniature Pinschers under the appellation: 'Texas Doberman'. Wooo.

02-18-2008 04:26:00 | More by MrHungryMonkey
JDV

2.17/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours deep, yet clear dark brownish, maroon with a pale off white frothy head that lasted for a bit. Smell is bland, and metallic at first with a faint touch of malt coming later, but nothing pronounced or special. Taste is lightly malty with a definite bland, dull, nuttiness and a touch of light sourness. I understand this is was made as a competitor to Shiner Bock, and I prefer that to this one.

01-31-2008 22:02:17 | More by JDV
MiguelMandingo

1.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Grabbed a bottle from a friend's party and thought I should review it, because there is no way I would ever buy this for my regular beer rotation.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Transparent caramel brown/amber color. It produced a half finger rocky head that dissipated to nothing in about 30 seconds. There is no halo or crown. There is no lacing.

Smell - Not much going on here. Sweet malt and adjuncts. Maybe corn or grains. And there is a burnt smell as well..

Taste - Tastes like a cheap amber ale. It isn't the worst tasting beer I have ever had, but the flavor profile is extremely bland. I get hints of caramel and dark sugar and perhaps the slightest fruit note, but not all that much is going here. There is pretty much no hop flavor what-so-ever.

Mouthfeel - Thin. There is an okay level of carbonation, but it doesn't do enough to cut through the beer's extremely light body. It feels like it was made to be chugged.

Drinkability - I could see how it would be easy to drink a sixer and not even think about it. It has a low sessionable ABV, and the texture is thin enough to chug it with relative ease. On that level, it is extremely drinkable. On the desirability scale, it has next to none with me. I would never buy this beer, and typically avoid drinking it period. The only time I have it is at parties where the only other option is Miller Lite or Bud Light.

11-29-2007 06:03:10 | More by MiguelMandingo
OldTex29

1.53/5  rDev -45.4%

Had two of these while waiting for a flight at the Austin airport.

Appearance- Brownish-red. Looks somewhat like a bock, even if it's not.

Smell - Not a whole lot going on. Malty, but not overwhelmingly so. Mostly just smells like a macro-lager.

Taste - Again, the taste is more akin to a macro-lager like Budweiser than a true bock. A bit maltier than a Bud, though not terribly so. Slight hints of caramel. Hop presence is essentially non-existent.

Mouthfeel - This is where the crapiness of the ZB really shines through. Sickeningly watery.

Drinkability - Terrible mouthfeel + uninteresting taste = not good. At 4% ABV, this beer isn't even good for a quick buzz before a flight.

What the hell would it take to get some Real Ale or Live Oak at ABI? Or any decent Texas beer at the DFW airport?

11-27-2007 02:37:49 | More by OldTex29
MMAJYK

Georgia

2.85/5  rDev +1.8%

A- Dark brown like coca-cola. Head is thin, and goes away quickly.

S- Burnt wood and ashes. A little bit bitter smell.

T- Taste is watery and bland. The burnt taste is there too.

M- Very watery and no thickness or backbone what so ever. No malt factor.

D- Drinkability is the best selling point for this one because it is so watered down. If you are in TX and want a beer like this, go ahead and take Shiner Bock. It is better than this. (but not much!)

10-22-2007 13:42:06 | More by MMAJYK
John_M

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

It's beers like this that really get me pissed off at AB.

As near as I can tell, this beer is only sold in Texas (lucky Texas), and it was at the airport in Dallas where I ran across a bottle of this swill. Dallas airport (like many/most airports) is a macrobrew heaven, and I was having a difficult time finding anything interesting to drink. For the most part, heineken and corona seemed to be about it.... then I came across this stuff.

I thought I was looking at a bottle of German lager (serves me right for not looking more closely at the label - I actually thought I was buying a German Bock beer), so I thought I'd take a chance.

The beer poured a darkish amber orange color, with no lacing and minimal head retention. There was very little on the nose, just some sweetness from the malt. On the palate the beer wasn't too bad initially, tasting like your run of the mill amber ale. It was fairly sweet with flavors of baked apple and cherry. The beer was pretty light tasting, and as we (I was with a friend) drank it the flavors seemed to drop off more and more. Ultimately the beer came across as pretty watery, leading to disappointment in what I perceived to be the local craft brew scene in Dallas/Texas. At this point I looked more closely at the label, and finally the light went on. I was looking at a local stealth beer from AB (beers made by AB that they market in such a way that customers won't realize right off it's made by AB), which of course explained the poor quality.

Truth be told, this was not the most awful beer I've ever had from AB (with their penchant for making crappy beer, how could it be?), but needless to say I would never have bought the beer to begin with if I had known AB made it. Some day AB may start making flavorful beer (certainly they have the money and know how), but it's unlikely I'll ever give them a chance to win me over. I've been burned far to many times by the likes of ziegenbock, pacific ridge, etc.

Edit from 10/19/11. Was in the Austin airport the other day, and was saddened to see how prevalent this beer has become. A number of bars had signs referring to it as "a taste of Texas," which if I was from Texas would totally piss me off. Almost every place had it on tap and/or bottle; for the most part it was the only option other than the usual BMC macro swill (a few places had shiner bock). Just very, very sad....

09-26-2007 15:42:00 | More by John_M
NeroFiddled

3.9/5  rDev +39.3%

As I understand it, ZiegenBock Amber is only sold in Texas; and is probably intended to compete with Shiner Bock. Neither beer is particularly exciting (nor a bock), and to be honest I didn't see alot of either one during my recent trip to Austin (of course, Austin's weird!) but...

ZiegenBock is a dark, crimson-accented copper in the glass. The head is just slightly darker than bone-white, and holds well. It even leaves some nice lacing behind.

The aroma is lightly malty with a touch of sweet dark caramel and a hint of chocolate in the background. The limited hops can barely make their way through, but they're seeming grassy and floral.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but fuller. The malt is softly sweet with a supple dark caramel character that's just enough to keep you coming back for more, and the spicy and floral hops balance it nicely. A firm bitterness keeps it centered from the start, and ushers in a refreshing, dry finish the lingers gently with a sweetish drop of darkened sugar.

Nicely done! Very drinkable in flavor, balance, and body. You could easily have quite a few of these during a night out with the boys if you were just interested in throwin' 'em back.

05-20-2007 20:58:23 | More by NeroFiddled
allengarvin

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

Snagged at a party so I could get an extra review. Pours a pretty mahogany color with a small head and lots of streaming bubbles. Aroma is pretty much grainy malt, with a hint of caramel. Clean sweet caramel malt flavor, that fades pretty quickly. Actually oddly tasteless except the initial malt. Neutral texture.

This is the first ZiegenBock I've ever had as far as I know. It might be a tad better than Shiner Bock. That's no reason to ever have another, though.

04-17-2007 03:40:53 | More by allengarvin
BeerSox

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear deep amber color that edges on ruby. Light tan fizzy head that slowly settles to a thin cap. Spotty lacing along the glass.

Toasty malt aromas with not much else.

There is nothing "bock" about this bock. It has some grainy malt, but it is very bland. The alcohol weighs in at 4%ABV, which is nothing like a bock. It's just a dark lager. Watery, light bodied, and fizzy.

This is probably AB's attempt to brew a beer to compete with Texas' Shiner Bock. Neither are great examples, but this one is just a watery lager that had a longer boil. Compared to Budweiser this is dark and heavy, however. Drink at your own risk.

03-10-2007 05:53:57 | More by BeerSox
crwills

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Part of a tasting with northyorksammy, biegaman, grub, and derek. Thanks guys!

Decent deep, brown/gold colour with a small bubbly head. Aroma is strongly adjuncts with a little bit of unprocessed malt. Flavour is corn and very mild hops. Adjuncty aftertaste. Not a good one.

02-27-2007 01:40:20 | More by crwills
biegaman

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Bock in its name and weighing in at 4%? Like all other aspects of this beer it is hardly a bock...
Pours like a port appearence - clear, burgundy orange with NO head at all (not even on a hard pour or swirl). Hardly any aroma less a light maple syrop note and some sweetness. The aroma lets on one thing and the taste surprises you with another - completely different! Corn starch, adjuncts - the trademarks of macro! The aftertaste especially heavy on the adjuncts. They were really the only thing in the makeup.
While the smell and looks didn't match up right for a bock, they still were, to some degree anyways, appealing. The flavour and mouthfeel, however, yanked this one right back down to a level I'd expect from AB.
Thanks still Grub!

02-25-2007 21:59:20 | More by biegaman
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Dark amber with a tan head; very little retention/lace.

S: Slight aroma of floral & spicy hops with a hints of sweetness.

T: Light bready malt flavour is overtaken by sweet corn. Hints of spicy & floral hops.

M: Light to moderate body (not bad for its weight), has some residual sugar; moderate carbonation.

D: It's a lightweight, but it's just not enticing.

Certainly more "American Amber" than "German Bock".

Thanks for sample Grub!

02-24-2007 02:04:53 | More by Derek
Sammy

2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

Macro brewery, however this is underrated in that it is more than a passable brew. Light colour, creamy in mouth, light mouthfeel. Aroma a bit cheesy negative. Drinkable. Some bitterness in finish. Not really a bock. Thanks Grub for something new and different.

02-23-2007 04:22:53 | More by Sammy
grub

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

quarterly tasting party feb 21/07 with northyorksammy, Derek, crwills, biegaman and me (grub). everyone threw in a few bottles and we had an interesting mix of beer. i contributed this bottle, which came to me via a trade with freberg. thanks michael!

12oz bottle

pours deep amber, crystal clear, with a big off-white head. bit of spotty lace.

aroma is not good. dms and corn. bit earty. macro lager.

taste is similar. fizzy corn water. very light bitterness and just a hint of malt.

mouthfeel is ok. moderate carbonation and thin body.

drinkability is ok. not as bad as the usual offerings from A-B, but not great either.

02-23-2007 03:17:58 | More by grub
AChamberlain

3.4/5  rDev +21.4%

Served ontap at the Houston Airport on 11/22/06. Apparently you can only get this in TX. Big deal. It was good, but not special.

A: Ewww. Looks like dirty water (brown). 1/2" head.

S: Slight malt aroma

T: Tasted a little like the tap was dirty, but it may be the actual flavor. Malts.

MF: Thin and fizzzy.

D: Pretty good, easy to drink. Not that I'd have more than one.

12-05-2006 21:47:07 | More by AChamberlain
BigRedN

Nebraska

From notes. Had in Ft. Worth, TX. I was shocked to see this, although I'm not sure why. Scores try to reflect that this is not to be compared to a true bock beer.

Appearance: Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. A clear (aren't all AB products?), dark amber, almost brown, color. Thin short lived head. No lace.

Smell: Weak roasted malt (maybe a little caramelly) with no hop associated aromas. Not expecting much, I was not let down.

Taste: I know this is geared to Shiner Bock, but comes up a little short. Minimal maltiness, nothing bitter.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, crisp, good carbonation. A dark macro lager.

Drinkability: Easy to put down a 6 pack. I assume this is a Texas only beer as I have not sen it before (only heard about it here on BA). Obviously aimed at Shiner Bock, but I'd take a Shiner anyday (as would most Texans, I suspect).

09-28-2006 04:55:28 | More by BigRedN
jhammerly

Nebraska

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%

I got this from a buddy of mine who picked this up while on vacation. Since he didn't find very much, he figured he'd get this since he knows that it's only available in Texas and probably won't ever come across it again.

Brewed by A-B, the packaging looks like something from Michelobe, so I'm not expecting much. The best thing about this beer is the appearance right after the pour - an amber, caramel colored body with a thick, whitish head. A faint smell of caramel sweetness barely reaches the nose. The body is very thin (I'd hate to taste the light version) and tastes watered down. Sort of like a Bud with some caramel flavoring. I wouldn't want anymore of this, even if it was available in my state. It could be very drinkable, if only I liked it. It's one of those beers that you could drink a lot of due to its light body and carbonation. Their web site states: "Only Texans Get It." Well, they can have it.

08-27-2006 02:59:10 | More by jhammerly