ZiegenBock Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-24-2002

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 374 | Reviews: 130
2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer poured a rich-looking transparent dark brown. It was a beautiful looking pour for an amber beer. The perfect colour. With a nice creamy head on it. Unfortunately, I had to put it in my mouth, at which point it stopped being a bock beer. There must be a colouring agent in this. At a dollar a bottle, I suppose there must be. This is not a bock beer. There is no malt complexity to it, so don't expect any. However, it is similar in price to a lot of "water beers" out there and in comparison to them, this is really quite a good beer. Put it in the freezer for a while as you should with any water beer and it comes out very refreshing. It's got enough hops in it to make it go down real good and real smooth when it's ice cold. It leaves sort of a thick feeling in your mouth afterwards as if you just drank something sugary or a malty beer. But it doesn't taste sweet or malty at all. So, I don't know what that's about. This is a GREAT water beer. You just have to know better than to expect a bock. Once you're over the fact that it's not, it's really quite refreshing.

Compared To The Standard (Shiner Bock):
Ziegenbock is Anheuser-Busch's answer to Shiner Bock, I assume. It's only available in Texas and they've undercut the price on Shiner. However, if you're looking for a bock, this is much further from the real thing than a shiner. If you're looking for a refreshing water beer, this is better than Shiner AND most water beers. But other than just enough hops to make it nice and crisp, there is NO FLAVOUR aside from a weird annoying aftertaste. The best point about this beer is its keg price. It competes with the bottom of the barrel in keg prices. I don't know how. Keystone might be the only keg cheaper than this. If you're throwing a party and wondering whether to get Bud Light, High Life, Ziegenbock or anything else that costs under $90, it's an easy choice. Get this! It may not be impressive, but it totally beats piss water and is the same price! Sadly, this beer is only made in Houston and therefore anything outside of AB's Houston distribution area doesn't have this choice.

4.46/5  rDev +58.7%

For me, this is one of the most drinkable and enjoyable beers I have ever had. It is not over-carbonated like most common American beers. I like the mouthfeel of ZiegenBock. To me, over-carbonated beers all have bite that I do not like. ZiegenBock does not have this bite but is quite pleasurable on the palate. It is also lightly sweet, not bitter.

I call ZiegenBock my favorite "dinner beer" or "table beer", which is mostly the only way I drink beer. I have one almost every night with my dinner for 2+ years now. I don't understand all the low rating reviews it gets on BA. I love it, it is my first choice preferred beer. My local convenience store carries it just for me.

It is owned by AB but is brewed here in the Houston area.

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%

I had seen this on shelves for a couple years, but had never gotten around to trying it, so I decided to give it a shot last night and see what it was about. I served the 12o bottle straight out of the fridge and poured it into a Pint glass. The pour was decent, with a bright, honey colored amber with amazing clarity and lots of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass. A good sized two finger head of white froth jumped up right after the pour, however it settled down rather quickly and I did not see much of it after that. Really did not leave behind much of anything.

The aroma was non existent, mostly just dull grain and wheat and a touch of rice. Nothing really much going on here, the flavor was more of the same. Unfortunately it was just dull and boring, and that was quite a shame. Hints of rice and cereal grains, and a sickly sweet ginger soda like flavor were all that I could really make it from this one. A good bit of carbonation in it and as for a beer you could chug down in quantity, in that regards it was not half bad.

Overall It was just too bland for me, nothing really going on with it. Could be worse though, and still better then ,most of the macro stuff you see.

3.19/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Dark brown pours a thick head with a good bit of linger

S: Not much here, just a little bit of malt and a little bit of hops.

T: Not much here either, just some light roasted malt with a semi-dry finish

M: Medium body with a good bit of carbonation

Good cheap beer to choose at a bar or club in Texas. On the whole though, not something I would pick up at a store to drink on my own.

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this during a 3-hour layover in the Dallas/Fort Worth airport on my way to Cali for the Bruery RS Party. Was told it was a local brew... Served from tap into a mug. Poured red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained very minimal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and nutmeg. The flavor was of sweet malt, nutmeg, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall I was not a fan of this at all. Not much going on here as it was weak in all aspects and dare I say, watered down... After this mug full I started pounding double Jack & Cokes until my flight left. What should I have expected... I was in an airport afterall.

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Nice color with no real head. Pretty decent carbonation.

S: Very malty and bready. Slighty hoppy toward the end. Kind of a crispness in your nose.

T: The taste is very smooth. Lots of malts and very little hops.

Overall this is exactly what I would expect from Anheuser-Bush in a Red Lager. It's in competition to the Shiner bock, and marketed in Texas hence the reason they taste quite similar. This beer, however smooth it is, lacks a real flavor, as some other beers like it do. Pretty good but not one I would pick again on my trips to TX.

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours a light off white fizzy head. No retention. Color is an amber brown. Clear.

Aroma: Caramel and bready malts. Very lager like. Grassy hops. Corn and grain.

Taste: More like an adjunct lager than a bock. Some caramel and bready malts with some earthy/grassy hops. Grains and corn again.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends dry and malty.

Overall, this wasn't a very good bock. Maybe it's an amber, but still it isn't too good. More like an adjunct lager. Not for me. Too much carbonation. Not very drinkable at all.

? -2-2-1.5-1.5

2.28/5  rDev -18.9%

On tap at "TX Road House", Victoria TX. Pours dark red hue, lively carbonation. Sweet, fruity aroma. Medium, crisp body. Regular, flavorless, macro taste without any finish. I think Anheuser-Busch was trying to copy Schiner Bock here. I will avoid this one.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
The beer was a dark amber color with a medium-sized tan head that disappeared within seconds.
Faint caramel malt aroma.
While the aroma was barely there, the taste was even more underwhelming. It tasted sweet, and that's about all you can say.
I felt like I was drinking sugar water.
Drink this if you must.

2.95/5  rDev +5%

I saw this on tap next to Shiner Bock at a bar in San Antonio. I tried it since it was the only beer on tap I was unfamiliar with.

A - This was a clear amber with very little head. Visually it could have been an AmberBock or anything else along those lines.

S - Had some roasted and malt aromas along with some lager sulphur notes, but very muted.

T - Very bland and forgettable. Obviously a lager with some roasted and sweet highlights, but not much.

M - Watery and low carbonation.

D - Obviously designed as a competitor to Shiner, but not up to the task. I did not want more than one.

2.61/5  rDev -7.1%

I had this one on tap at the Astros ballpark. My other choices were Miller or Bud Light....

Poured into a plastic cub the beer is a light brown with amber highlights. There is a skin of beige foam.

The nose is underpowered. If you strain you can pick-up a bit of grain and something metallic.

The taste is very mild. There is an initial taste of slightly roasted malts that fads and is backfilled by some standard crackers and a bit more of that metallic bite.

The mouth is thin with strong carbonation.

It was easy to drink and I had three of them due to the lack of anything better.

2.61/5  rDev -7.1%

"Worthy of a Texan," eh?

I'm from Jersey, so I can't judge that. Pours a medium amber into my trusty Bodum pint. No head, just froth. Medium amber color, -very- active carbonation like a macro lager. Doesn't give a 'bock' vibe. Smells of light caramel and toasted malts.

Off to a bad start.

Malty, semi-sweet, with very strong carbonation. Slight metallic aftertaste, not much going on. That's familiar and reminiscent of some other nasties I've had--(checks the label)--ahh, Anheuser Busch. That'd explain it.

Anyhow, carbonation and mouthfeel are more of a lager-type. Placed conspicuously adjacent to Shiner Bock with a logo emphasizing Texas. It's bottled in Houston, but it just seems as if this is made for takin' out Shiner Bock.

It's inferior to Shiner in nearly every way. The label MAY be slightly cooler. Tough to tell. I'm sorry, now, for not getting my go-to cheap beer.

2.46/5  rDev -12.5%

It's color reminds me of a coke that was left sitting around long enough for thice to melt. And head, what head? I didn't smell much, just kinda metallic. It tastes about the same. Watery and weak. Metallic, a tad sweet with cheap caramel hops. Not particularly drinkable because it just doesn't have much going for it. ABs answer to Shiner Bock. It isn't as good to me and that aint sayin a whole lot!

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance - This poured a thin-looking amber brown in color with a small off-white head.

Smell - This was a mixed bag. On the one hand I could pick up some decent-smelling malts, nicely toasted with hints of sugar, but then also there was a stale kind of grain aroma.

Taste - The beer had the same contradiction at the taste. There was a smooth malt flavor that would have been terrific had it been a bit bigger and flying solo, but along comes this kind of stale cornish thing that made this beer difficult to drink.

Mouthfeel - This really felt like a well-lagered beer in the mouth. It was light-bodied for sure but had a nice sense of creaminess. The carbonation was mild from the tap which made for a smooth drink.

Drinkability - The mouthfeel really saved this beer for me and I actually ordered another one. I guess AB is selling this in TX only to compete against Shiner and if that is the case then Zeigenbock is a better drink IMO.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Got this one in trade from a buddy in Texas, thanks Jeremy!

Consumed 3/21/2010- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Very clear copper, minimal carbination topped off by a thin skim of tight white bubbles that barely covered the whole surface. Nothing really in the way of lacing.

S- Faintly sweet, not much there.

T- Caramel and malts, a little corny as well.

M- Light to medium, a little carbination tingle.

D- I was expecting a bock so I was thrown off a bit when I tasted it. Get here and see its an amber which makes more sense. I wont look for this one whenever I make it to Texas.

3.01/5  rDev +7.1%

Traveling back to Portland last night, tried ZiegenBock (described as 'like Shiner Bock' by the server...) at the FOX Sports Bar, Concourse E, Houston Int'l Airport (IAH). Delivered in a tall pilsner glass with dinner and NCAA Tournament viewing. Never had tasted this before and honestly thought I was trying a Texan craft beer when I ordered it, rather than an A-B product...

A: Garnet coloring beneath a finger-high tuft of white cream. Good clarity, but a lack of visible carbonation (a smattering rise lazily). Modest head retention, dwindling to a scant film. Lace breaks into rippling stripes.

S: Weaker nose - a light roast that hints at nuts and honey. Not off or displeasing, just really tame.

T: Malty and skewed (barely) to the sweet side.Toasted cereal grain with a fleeting char/bitterness that gives some balance. Occasionally I picked up a subtle raisin-y fruit, but 'Grape Nut' and honey was more the norm.

M: Creamy and smooth, medium-light body. Cleaner finish and rather refreshing, but a lack of complexity and an odd slickness at times.

D: Not a bad entry-level amber, an enjoyable alternative to some of the other menu options. Not something I'll rush out to get again, but a pretty good tasting brew with a low enough alcohol content to be sessionable. Could do worse.

Of note: paid $7.99 + tax for this...oh, for the pricing and selection we have at PDX!

3.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a glass, no freshness date on bottle.

A: Medium copper with a reddish hue under a pathetic off-white head that looked as substantial as the head from pouring Pepsi. No lacing.

S: Nondescript grain adjuncts and some caramel.

T: Some flat hops to start with followed by some sweet caramel, generic malts and roasted grain flavors. Nothing offensive, nothing to praise.

M: Watery but smooth, not too much carbonation (surprising for a macro).

D: Drinkable but not overly inviting.

Overall: The Texas version of Killian's? Not as good in my opinion, but then Killian's isn't outstanding either. I suppose it is AB's attempt to compete with Shiner Bock, which itself isn't very memorable. Overall in the macro-trying-to-look-like-micro world, I would take an Amber Bock or a Killian's over this beer, but it is alright. I wouldn't spend my own money on it.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tasting notes May 2009.
Pours to a compact white head and a bit of lacing. Dark amber/brown color. Aroma is sweet with crystal malt and buttery aromas. Low hop aroma. Flavor is sweet and malty/grainy with a caramel note. Mouthfeel is thin and bubbly. Some character but not enough to make it a true "craft beer" This is right up there with Shiner Bock and a notch below Amber Bock.

3.22/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from the tap (into a larger schooner) to a medium amber brown with thin tan head that dissipated fairly quickly and left slight lacing. Nose was fairly hard to find, but hinted of malty dark fruit and caramel, which were a little more noticeable in the taste. Mouthfeel a little on the thin side, but at least the intense graininess found in many AB products was not present.

Not bad for a macro-beer distributed regionally.

4.06/5  rDev +44.5%

Drinking it at a Chili's in Houston International. I find it very good with the boneless wings. I could pound a few of these down with no problem. Surprised to read that it is an A Busch product. Must have been an aquisition because this is too good to be their recipe.

3.68/5  rDev +31%

Oh Ziegenbock - the house beer at the resort i'm working at this week and a welcomed alternative at Ranger's stadium

maybe the expectations were really low coming to texas, or maybe i just dont mind this beer, but i find the reviews to be ridiculously low

on-tap, numerous samplings. cell phone notes

appearance: dark amber body, bordering on brown, with a creamy beige head and light retention

smell: nutty, caramel malts, grainy and artificially sweet

taste: more than adequate - the best anheuser busch beer i have ever had by far and only available in texas. A smooth caramel-apple flavor profile, nutty and grainy - an amber that exceeds that of many micro efforts

mouthfeel: medium - quaffable

drinkability: just fine

2.54/5  rDev -9.6%

Ziegenbock Amber
bottle to glass

appearance- dark amber color with a thick foamy head that disappeared quickly. it looks much tastier than it actually is.

smell- sweet grass. maybe some corn and graininess.

taste- there is actually a slight floral hop note here, but the mat is grainy and harsh. a little buttery in the finish.

mouthfeel- light, watery, some creaminess. slight bitter at the end

drinkability- one is pretty easy to drink, but its is very unsatisfying. i couldn't drink more than one in a sitting.

this brew is one of the best beer i've ever had from A-B. that isn't saying much, though, because it's still a pretty average (but leaning towards bad) beer.

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

Enjoyed on 06.02.09 at the Houston Airport. Served in a 14oz pint glass.

Didn't know it was a BMC macro. Thought it was a bock (until I tasted it). Next time I'll order Fat Tire.

A: Light-medium brown / amber, OK head. Lacing was little-to-none.

S: Barely hops. Not much at all. I smelled the clean glass more than the beer.

T: More like a Bus Select, than an amber

M: Very high carbs & thin

D: I could drink a few, but I was disappointed overall. If I didn't have to catch a plane, I would have ordered a different beer next.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours dark copper, almost brown. Essentially no head. Smells like straw and corn and not much else. Its highly carbonated, and has a faint corny finish. It's very dry with kind of a metallic taste in there. As it gets warmer theres a hint of caramel-like flavor. Drinks easy though.

P.S. This beer is sorta a shit-heel move by AB to move in on Shiner's market in Texas.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

stuck in Houton airport and this beer did not come to the rescue. I had no idea it was a BMC till now. Figures. bland, no taste.

appearance: amber, light brown, bubbly macro head

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation, thin

drinkability: very easy but horrible dirty aftertaste. beer than a bud light but not better than much other.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
ZiegenBock Amber from Anheuser-Busch