ZiegenBock Amber - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-24-2002)
ElGeordie

2.08/5  rDev -25.4%

I've tried Shiner Bock a few times and remained VERY unimpressed. A few Texans told me that I should try ZiegenBock - so I did.
The born-on date stamped on the label gave away this one's parentage. But I try to be open minded, so in the name of science I drank a few anyway.
Visually the Ziegenbock is darker than Shiner's version, the head seems to be better too, it was creamier and lasted much longer.
Tastewise, although nowhere near what a bock should be it did at least have a trace of malt - more than can be said for Shiner Bock.
At the end of the day I wouldn't drink this by choice but it is (as many Texans had told me) better than Shiner Bock. Although they're both just dark macro lagers.

03-05-2008 21:12:02 | More by ElGeordie
MrHungryMonkey

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

Orange hued amber, good clarity, good little bubbly head.

Head-on maltiness abundant with toast and sweetness. Faint hop character is spicy.

Thin body with fizzy/sudsy carbonation.

Not bad. A better 'Bock' than Shiner (I'm afraid) and a truly better choice than a pale Macro Lager, the Ziegen is quite drinkable, especially so - I recollect - on draught. I haven't had one in a long while, I felt a revisit was due.

Why does Texas have mock Bocks? It's like a pet store selling Miniature Pinschers under the appellation: 'Texas Doberman'. Wooo.

02-18-2008 04:26:00 | More by MrHungryMonkey
JDV

2.17/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours deep, yet clear dark brownish, maroon with a pale off white frothy head that lasted for a bit. Smell is bland, and metallic at first with a faint touch of malt coming later, but nothing pronounced or special. Taste is lightly malty with a definite bland, dull, nuttiness and a touch of light sourness. I understand this is was made as a competitor to Shiner Bock, and I prefer that to this one.

01-31-2008 22:02:17 | More by JDV
MiguelMandingo

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%

Grabbed a bottle from a friend's party and thought I should review it, because there is no way I would ever buy this for my regular beer rotation.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Transparent caramel brown/amber color. It produced a half finger rocky head that dissipated to nothing in about 30 seconds. There is no halo or crown. There is no lacing.

Smell - Not much going on here. Sweet malt and adjuncts. Maybe corn or grains. And there is a burnt smell as well..

Taste - Tastes like a cheap amber ale. It isn't the worst tasting beer I have ever had, but the flavor profile is extremely bland. I get hints of caramel and dark sugar and perhaps the slightest fruit note, but not all that much is going here. There is pretty much no hop flavor what-so-ever.

Mouthfeel - Thin. There is an okay level of carbonation, but it doesn't do enough to cut through the beer's extremely light body. It feels like it was made to be chugged.

Drinkability - I could see how it would be easy to drink a sixer and not even think about it. It has a low sessionable ABV, and the texture is thin enough to chug it with relative ease. On that level, it is extremely drinkable. On the desirability scale, it has next to none with me. I would never buy this beer, and typically avoid drinking it period. The only time I have it is at parties where the only other option is Miller Lite or Bud Light.

11-29-2007 06:03:10 | More by MiguelMandingo
OldTex29

1.53/5  rDev -45.2%

Had two of these while waiting for a flight at the Austin airport.

Appearance- Brownish-red. Looks somewhat like a bock, even if it's not.

Smell - Not a whole lot going on. Malty, but not overwhelmingly so. Mostly just smells like a macro-lager.

Taste - Again, the taste is more akin to a macro-lager like Budweiser than a true bock. A bit maltier than a Bud, though not terribly so. Slight hints of caramel. Hop presence is essentially non-existent.

Mouthfeel - This is where the crapiness of the ZB really shines through. Sickeningly watery.

Drinkability - Terrible mouthfeel + uninteresting taste = not good. At 4% ABV, this beer isn't even good for a quick buzz before a flight.

What the hell would it take to get some Real Ale or Live Oak at ABI? Or any decent Texas beer at the DFW airport?

11-27-2007 02:37:49 | More by OldTex29
MMAJYK

Georgia

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Dark brown like coca-cola. Head is thin, and goes away quickly.

S- Burnt wood and ashes. A little bit bitter smell.

T- Taste is watery and bland. The burnt taste is there too.

M- Very watery and no thickness or backbone what so ever. No malt factor.

D- Drinkability is the best selling point for this one because it is so watered down. If you are in TX and want a beer like this, go ahead and take Shiner Bock. It is better than this. (but not much!)

10-22-2007 13:42:06 | More by MMAJYK
John_M

Oregon

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

It's beers like this that really get me pissed off at AB.

As near as I can tell, this beer is only sold in Texas (lucky Texas), and it was at the airport in Dallas where I ran across a bottle of this swill. Dallas airport (like many/most airports) is a macrobrew heaven, and I was having a difficult time finding anything interesting to drink. For the most part, heineken and corona seemed to be about it.... then I came across this stuff.

I thought I was looking at a bottle of German lager (serves me right for not looking more closely at the label - I actually thought I was buying a German Bock beer), so I thought I'd take a chance.

The beer poured a darkish amber orange color, with no lacing and minimal head retention. There was very little on the nose, just some sweetness from the malt. On the palate the beer wasn't too bad initially, tasting like your run of the mill amber ale. It was fairly sweet with flavors of baked apple and cherry. The beer was pretty light tasting, and as we (I was with a friend) drank it the flavors seemed to drop off more and more. Ultimately the beer came across as pretty watery, leading to disappointment in what I perceived to be the local craft brew scene in Dallas/Texas. At this point I looked more closely at the label, and finally the light went on. I was looking at a local stealth beer from AB (beers made by AB that they market in such a way that customers won't realize right off it's made by AB), which of course explained the poor quality.

Truth be told, this was not the most awful beer I've ever had from AB (with their penchant for making crappy beer, how could it be?), but needless to say I would never have bought the beer to begin with if I had known AB made it. Some day AB may start making flavorful beer (certainly they have the money and know how), but it's unlikely I'll ever give them a chance to win me over. I've been burned far to many times by the likes of ziegenbock, pacific ridge, etc.

Edit from 10/19/11. Was in the Austin airport the other day, and was saddened to see how prevalent this beer has become. A number of bars had signs referring to it as "a taste of Texas," which if I was from Texas would totally piss me off. Almost every place had it on tap and/or bottle; for the most part it was the only option other than the usual BMC macro swill (a few places had shiner bock). Just very, very sad....

09-26-2007 15:42:00 | More by John_M
NeroFiddled

3.9/5  rDev +39.8%

As I understand it, ZiegenBock Amber is only sold in Texas; and is probably intended to compete with Shiner Bock. Neither beer is particularly exciting (nor a bock), and to be honest I didn't see alot of either one during my recent trip to Austin (of course, Austin's weird!) but...

ZiegenBock is a dark, crimson-accented copper in the glass. The head is just slightly darker than bone-white, and holds well. It even leaves some nice lacing behind.

The aroma is lightly malty with a touch of sweet dark caramel and a hint of chocolate in the background. The limited hops can barely make their way through, but they're seeming grassy and floral.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but fuller. The malt is softly sweet with a supple dark caramel character that's just enough to keep you coming back for more, and the spicy and floral hops balance it nicely. A firm bitterness keeps it centered from the start, and ushers in a refreshing, dry finish the lingers gently with a sweetish drop of darkened sugar.

Nicely done! Very drinkable in flavor, balance, and body. You could easily have quite a few of these during a night out with the boys if you were just interested in throwin' 'em back.

05-20-2007 20:58:23 | More by NeroFiddled
allengarvin

3.35/5  rDev +20.1%

Snagged at a party so I could get an extra review. Pours a pretty mahogany color with a small head and lots of streaming bubbles. Aroma is pretty much grainy malt, with a hint of caramel. Clean sweet caramel malt flavor, that fades pretty quickly. Actually oddly tasteless except the initial malt. Neutral texture.

This is the first ZiegenBock I've ever had as far as I know. It might be a tad better than Shiner Bock. That's no reason to ever have another, though.

04-17-2007 03:40:53 | More by allengarvin
BeerSox

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear deep amber color that edges on ruby. Light tan fizzy head that slowly settles to a thin cap. Spotty lacing along the glass.

Toasty malt aromas with not much else.

There is nothing "bock" about this bock. It has some grainy malt, but it is very bland. The alcohol weighs in at 4%ABV, which is nothing like a bock. It's just a dark lager. Watery, light bodied, and fizzy.

This is probably AB's attempt to brew a beer to compete with Texas' Shiner Bock. Neither are great examples, but this one is just a watery lager that had a longer boil. Compared to Budweiser this is dark and heavy, however. Drink at your own risk.

03-10-2007 05:53:57 | More by BeerSox
crwills

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

Part of a tasting with northyorksammy, biegaman, grub, and derek. Thanks guys!

Decent deep, brown/gold colour with a small bubbly head. Aroma is strongly adjuncts with a little bit of unprocessed malt. Flavour is corn and very mild hops. Adjuncty aftertaste. Not a good one.

02-27-2007 01:40:20 | More by crwills
biegaman

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Bock in its name and weighing in at 4%? Like all other aspects of this beer it is hardly a bock...
Pours like a port appearence - clear, burgundy orange with NO head at all (not even on a hard pour or swirl). Hardly any aroma less a light maple syrop note and some sweetness. The aroma lets on one thing and the taste surprises you with another - completely different! Corn starch, adjuncts - the trademarks of macro! The aftertaste especially heavy on the adjuncts. They were really the only thing in the makeup.
While the smell and looks didn't match up right for a bock, they still were, to some degree anyways, appealing. The flavour and mouthfeel, however, yanked this one right back down to a level I'd expect from AB.
Thanks still Grub!

02-25-2007 21:59:20 | More by biegaman
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

A: Dark amber with a tan head; very little retention/lace.

S: Slight aroma of floral & spicy hops with a hints of sweetness.

T: Light bready malt flavour is overtaken by sweet corn. Hints of spicy & floral hops.

M: Light to moderate body (not bad for its weight), has some residual sugar; moderate carbonation.

D: It's a lightweight, but it's just not enticing.

Certainly more "American Amber" than "German Bock".

Thanks for sample Grub!

02-24-2007 02:04:53 | More by Derek
Sammy

2.93/5  rDev +5%

Macro brewery, however this is underrated in that it is more than a passable brew. Light colour, creamy in mouth, light mouthfeel. Aroma a bit cheesy negative. Drinkable. Some bitterness in finish. Not really a bock. Thanks Grub for something new and different.

02-23-2007 04:22:53 | More by Sammy
grub

2.65/5  rDev -5%

quarterly tasting party feb 21/07 with northyorksammy, Derek, crwills, biegaman and me (grub). everyone threw in a few bottles and we had an interesting mix of beer. i contributed this bottle, which came to me via a trade with freberg. thanks michael!

12oz bottle

pours deep amber, crystal clear, with a big off-white head. bit of spotty lace.

aroma is not good. dms and corn. bit earty. macro lager.

taste is similar. fizzy corn water. very light bitterness and just a hint of malt.

mouthfeel is ok. moderate carbonation and thin body.

drinkability is ok. not as bad as the usual offerings from A-B, but not great either.

02-23-2007 03:17:58 | More by grub
AChamberlain

3.4/5  rDev +21.9%

Served ontap at the Houston Airport on 11/22/06. Apparently you can only get this in TX. Big deal. It was good, but not special.

A: Ewww. Looks like dirty water (brown). 1/2" head.

S: Slight malt aroma

T: Tasted a little like the tap was dirty, but it may be the actual flavor. Malts.

MF: Thin and fizzzy.

D: Pretty good, easy to drink. Not that I'd have more than one.

12-05-2006 21:47:07 | More by AChamberlain
BigRedN

Nebraska

From notes. Had in Ft. Worth, TX. I was shocked to see this, although I'm not sure why. Scores try to reflect that this is not to be compared to a true bock beer.

Appearance: Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. A clear (aren't all AB products?), dark amber, almost brown, color. Thin short lived head. No lace.

Smell: Weak roasted malt (maybe a little caramelly) with no hop associated aromas. Not expecting much, I was not let down.

Taste: I know this is geared to Shiner Bock, but comes up a little short. Minimal maltiness, nothing bitter.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, crisp, good carbonation. A dark macro lager.

Drinkability: Easy to put down a 6 pack. I assume this is a Texas only beer as I have not sen it before (only heard about it here on BA). Obviously aimed at Shiner Bock, but I'd take a Shiner anyday (as would most Texans, I suspect).

09-28-2006 04:55:28 | More by BigRedN
jhammerly

Nebraska

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

I got this from a buddy of mine who picked this up while on vacation. Since he didn't find very much, he figured he'd get this since he knows that it's only available in Texas and probably won't ever come across it again.

Brewed by A-B, the packaging looks like something from Michelobe, so I'm not expecting much. The best thing about this beer is the appearance right after the pour - an amber, caramel colored body with a thick, whitish head. A faint smell of caramel sweetness barely reaches the nose. The body is very thin (I'd hate to taste the light version) and tastes watered down. Sort of like a Bud with some caramel flavoring. I wouldn't want anymore of this, even if it was available in my state. It could be very drinkable, if only I liked it. It's one of those beers that you could drink a lot of due to its light body and carbonation. Their web site states: "Only Texans Get It." Well, they can have it.

08-27-2006 02:59:10 | More by jhammerly
HoustonTX

2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

Ahh, the good ole Ziegen. Pours a deep brown, with a good sized frothy head, the retention was lacking however. Picking up just small traces of malt, and maybe even a bit of faint caramel. Taste is quite bready and a tad sweet. Malty all the way through. With no hops making themselves known. Mouthfeel is thin for the style, and drinkability is average.

These are a step below Shiner Bock in my opinion.

08-11-2006 16:45:26 | More by HoustonTX
escapements

Oklahoma

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance - Not a bad dark copper/brown color. Head didn't last very long.

Smell - Slight malt odor. Not much smell at all.

Taste - Watery, not nearly enough flavor on all levels.

Mouthfeel - Less than standard. High carbonation.

Drinkability - Smooth and is drinkable, but there is so much mo' betta' out there.

Comments - Go get a Shiner Bock. Or even better, since it's classified as an American Amber/Red Ale, go get a Rogue All American Ale or a Fat Tire.

07-29-2006 02:12:30 | More by escapements
spaceranger

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

I've had this brew before but forgot how much I disliked it. If I had known in advance it was an Anheuser-Busch product I never would have picked it up anyway. Yuk and double yuk. No balance, no real flavor. The usual AB corn-rice filler is ever present. Carbonation is about right. Not a bock at all. Just amber colored. I guess it's kinda like that new Ultra Amber junk. I can't imagine how brewers put out product like this and expect people to buy it. Of course, it's like a buddy of mine said once: "You can just mix any crap up, slap some sort of label on it and somebody will buy it." Guess that's right.

07-12-2006 14:07:39 | More by spaceranger
Brent

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

The sign in the airport bar announced "Only Texans Get It." On sampling the beer, I had to wonder why they would particularly want it. Pretty easy to peg in the amber lager category, so I was let down that I wasn't getting a bock beer (they should at least be honest enough to call it "Ziegenamber"). Some middle-of-the-road malt flavor, a bit grainy with adjunct notes. A chocolate note in the malt faltered and faded before making any impression.

07-03-2006 15:01:49 | More by Brent
acrawf6

Louisiana

2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours out a clear dark brown amber with a small white head.

Smell. Is sweet like light brown sugar. small banana aroma.

Taste. sweet but the adjunct flavor is quite present it has a familiar taste to it (which is not all that good). It's not a bad flavor, but nothing good. Very bland, bud drinker's idea of a drinkable dark beer. Aftertaste is sweet and a small amount of metallic.

Mouthfeel is ok for what it's going for. Slightly light body, lots of carbonation.

Overall, A-B did a good job making a beer that i dont think is good, quite drinkable (if that makes much sense). Bottle says, "Brewed Exclusively For Texas." That's fine with me.

05-17-2006 21:33:03 | More by acrawf6
Frozensoul327

3.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Likely the best AB product i've had. Pours out to an odd caramel brown color with some dark gold notes. A big head of white foam quickly calms to about 1/4 of an inch. Medium to medium high carbonation and little lacing. Aromas of buttery yeast and malt are suprisingly enjoyable, as a sweet grain element rears it's head in there as well. Taste is medium-light bodied, but still fair; caramel malts and roasted notes make way for some sweet and mild hops, followed by the ever-present AB wash out. The flavors die a quick death on the tongue. Mouthfeel is a step above others, as there is some density and crispness to the beer. Drinkability is north of average. AB should seriously consider marketing this outside of Texas, becase for what it is, it isn't bad. Worth a try. Special thanks goes out to assurbanipaul for the sample.

04-30-2006 18:55:20 | More by Frozensoul327
jasonjlewis

2.35/5  rDev -15.8%

I can definetly tell this is an AB beer, because it tastes watered down. It's not bad, and it tastes smooth. I'm surprised that this has so much praise if Bud Light is an avoid. AB beers a lot of the time taste watered down. This beer is smooth for a bock, but that's not a good thinkg IMO. It doesn't have that bitter bite that I expect from a bock beer. It's a bock beer for the non beer drinker.

04-11-2006 00:00:56 | More by jasonjlewis