Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Reviews by Bfarr:
Bfarr

Washington

1.75/5  rDev -19%

Purple with a pink tinted head. Aromas of blueberry juice and thin lager. Taste of blueberry juice and adjunct lager. Very sweet and a little boozy. A very medicinal aftertaste.

Aargh, hoodwinked again! I bought this beer even though I was skeptical about it. It said Blue Dawg brewing Co. and it had a "North American Brewer's Association Gold Medal" tagline on the box. If I had looked at the bottle and seen "made with real and artificial fruit flavors" I would have been even more skeptical. Of course, after trying it I ran to BA to see what was the deal. A-B. Enough said. I wouldn't be so mad except for the subterfuge. Still a waste of $8, it tastes like a boozy budweiser with blueberry juice.

06-20-2010 00:48:42 | More by Bfarr
boston2bburg

1.1/5  rDev -49.1%

Well, they did it, they conned me into buying an A-B beer. Intrigued by an 8% blueberry beer, I picked up a single at the local wine and beer shop and was looking forward to trying it.

Then I saw the label and looked it up: Anheuser Busch product. Crap. Then I poured it out. It's a sickening bright fruit juice purple color with a purpleish-pink head that can't wait to vanish. You can smell the fruit juice from a foot away.

Tastes like a blueberry Spark's or something. Just sweet, syrupy juice with no real hint of anything resembling hops or malts anywhere.

Mouthfeel is thin and syrupy, so sweet it makes you pucker, a slight bite on the finish the only thing resembling actual beer.

No I do not want to drink any more of this. I suppose this could be a decent choice for an alternative to juice at breakfast, but unless you're used to wine cooler and are looking for something stronger, avoid this beer!

04-10-2008 01:28:43 | More by boston2bburg
brownbeer

Missouri

1.5/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours reddish-purple with a purple yogurt looking head.

Smells like a monster energy drink or a red bull. Blueberry and boysenberry are in there but the energy drink thing is unavoidable.

The taste is sweet and sugary, similar to a blueberry soda that has gone flat. The alcohol is hard to detect, which is its only saving grace. Not appealing, couldn't or wouldn't drink another one. Even one has its challenges.

02-23-2010 02:51:33 | More by brownbeer
tbryan5

Louisiana

1.25/5  rDev -42.1%

12-31-2012 01:07:12 | More by tbryan5
SIRIUS2

2.93/5  rDev +35.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dude! It's purple! Extreme beer? Well, extreme color anyway! This does have the appearance of carbonated blueberry juice, complete with soapy purple head that disappeared within seconds. Zero lacing.

S: Well, it smells like blueberries, some yeast, and something sort of funky that reminded me of balsamic vinegar. Sort of odd.

T: I have to admit, from the look and smell I was ready to not like this. But truthfully, it sort of reminded me of a fruity lambic style brew - definitely not recognizable as a lager. Taste is overwhelmingly sweet blueberry with nothing else coming through until the finish. The finish itself is sort of odd, where the blueberry fizz dissipates giving way to a light malt taste that was probably there the whole time being strangled by the blueberries. Anyway, there is practically no linger but the malts coming through were a bit of a surprise.

M&D: Mouthfeel? Basically just like soda pop or a wine cooler. Beer is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when drinking this. Oddly, this was relatively easy to drink if you can get past the sweet juiciness. I'm probably going out on a limb here but I think this brew was at least an interesting departure from the norm.

04-11-2008 01:07:38 | More by SIRIUS2

4.75/5  rDev +119.9%

04-18-2013 04:54:39 | More by loose5682
JasonA

3.65/5  rDev +69%

EDIT: Drink at your own risk during sporting events. I am confident this is the reason my team lost Saturday. Buyer BEWARE!!!1!11!!

Ive read the reviews, good and bad. Im going to give this Blueberry Lager, Fruit/Veg beer a fair shake.

Pours like a carbonated grape soda, with more remarkable lacing for a lager. Not much head, and it doesnt stay. I would have liked more head.

Smells like a Blueberry Boone's or other malt beverage. I dont get much of any lager, though I might catch grain, though also maybe rice :(. Gonna give it a 3, only because the lager side brings down the Fruit side.

Wow, impressive. Blueberry, light malt, non fructose finish, with what might be a hint of hops. Overall much better than the A and S. I was worried the blueberry sweetness was going to overpower the taste.

Sits very well, blueberry's are well balanced against lager and carbonation. Dissapation in the mouth is perfect.

Not sure I would drink a lot of these, though if blueberry is your thing, this is for you!

09-06-2008 21:03:17 | More by JasonA

01-07-2012 18:44:43 | More by WuAnquo1
Todd

Colorado

1.53/5  rDev -29.2%

One pint brown bottle with some ugly ass dog on the fruit kicking a giant blueberry with its hind leg. Poured, it looks like black currant juice, topped with a fizzy, tight purple-y-pink colored head. Retention is mediocre, with a creamy foam ring.

Strong artificial blueberry aroma, bubble-gummy, with a solvent edge.

If it didn't say "Blueberry Lager" on the label, you'd be hard-pressed in recognizing this as an actual beer. It's medium in body, with some syrupy density, and a prickly and spritzy carbonation. Quite tart upfront with acidic berry-like characters, super-sugary artificial blueberry sweetness, and smack of lime in the back. Sour in spots, with a growing alcohol presence as the beer warms. Dry finish, a bit tannic, with a fruit drink powderiness that's not overly desirable.

This is simply a Malt Liquor merged with a concentrate blueberry juice based soft drink. Nothing more.

10-05-2006 01:34:37 | More by Todd
marvin213

1.55/5  rDev -28.2%

It's a purple beer...so I'm nervous. It's purple like a beet, or radishes. It's a little scary. It smells like blueberry syrup. I envision a cardboard box holding the plastic, Ziploc-like bag of Wild Blue. It's artificial and concentrated (which isn't all by itself a bad thing), but there is a question. The nose on a fruit beer should leave no question.

It's thick and concocted. It's a paste. Like a pharmaceutical suspension--or a natural fruit drink--perhaps it should say "Shake well before using." I had a buddy of mine tell me he likes to drink this beer. Buddy says he likes to do so in the shower. I may not hang out with this buddy anymore....

12-18-2011 02:52:50 | More by marvin213
generallee

1.9/5  rDev -12%

It pours a light cranberry color with a pink head. The aroma is strong and full of blueberries and some malt notes. Its flavor is overwhelmingly fake and sweet with blueberries adding some tartness. Hop and malt flavors are barely detected. The palate is medium bodied with a sticky texture and the carbonation is fizzy.

05-03-2008 17:25:18 | More by generallee
TimoP

11-25-2011 07:22:14 | More by TimoP
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

08-15-2014 18:52:09 | More by Doomcifer
Jason

1.7/5  rDev -21.3%

16 oz brown bottle with a "born on date" freshness date on the label.

A- Looks like cheap burgundy pushed through a sparkler, very little head retention after the purple lace clears.

S- Smells of canned blueberry pie filling and a clean solvent alcohol.

T&M- Tastes like processed juice box juice, cheap lager ... or should I say malt liquor. Thin bodied with a thin and slick syrup like mouth feel. Slickly sweet IMO with some cheap beer qualities in the finish.

D- My palate could not take more than a few sips. There is only one word that really describes this beer.

HOOCH!

03-17-2006 02:10:39 | More by Jason
BlueHammer

Connecticut

1.75/5  rDev -19%

I recently sampled this beer at the Extreme Beer Fest in Boston (Feb. 2006). I was intrigued by the selection Anheuser would produce for an "extreme" fest and felt I would be remiss not to at least give it a try!

In my glass it literally looked like soda or juice. It was a deep blue/purple color with very little head. It was extremely carbonated and reminded me of a soft drink.

The flavor was INCREDIBLY sweet and tasted more like fake blueberries than actual blueberries. I am a HUGE fan of blueberry beers but this one, unfortunately, was not up to snuff.

As I drank it, I could feel the carbonation swirling in my mouth. At first I didn't mind the taste, but bear in mind that this was a four-ounze sample and about half-way through I felt overwhelmed by the sweetness. It was dificult finishing the small sample. Really, this reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer. If that's what you're looking for - a sweet, very fruity, overwhelmingly blueberryish beer that goes down like juice, then this is for you. If this doesn't sound like your taste, I would recommend trying something else!

03-10-2006 01:07:02 | More by BlueHammer
tigg924

1.25/5  rDev -42.1%

Appearance: clear, blueish-purple in color, 1/4 inch head, minimal carbonation

Smell: sour blueberries and grape juice

Taste: spoiled grape juice, alcohol, some hops, and artificial blueberry

Mouthfeel: high carbonation--fizzy, light body, sticky sweet with a sour middle

Drinkability: This tastes like spolied grape juice with maybe a bit of children's medicine. Overly harsh and sour, this was hard to finish. One and done and just a step above Cave Creek Chili as my least favorite beer.

03-29-2010 14:40:07 | More by tigg924
JayEvans813

2.38/5  rDev +10.2%

Just drank the thing out of the bottle.

At first taste, it was delicious. Tasted like a smooth blueberry drink with a heavy alcohol content... continue on to beer 2 and 3 and it began to taste more like Four Loko than a beer. Ended up finishing the 6 pack and feeling awful the next day. Beautiful reprieve is the 8 % ABV.

08-19-2013 23:28:32 | More by JayEvans813
Andrew_Rios122

07-31-2014 03:12:44 | More by Andrew_Rios122
Mora2000

2.68/5  rDev +24.1%

The beer pours a reddish-purple with a pink head. The aroma is heavy on the blueberries and cherries. The only notes I get in the aroma are fruit, no malt or hops are present. The flavor is more of the same. There is a ton of blueberry and some alcohol in the flavor. You can tell it is 8 percent. Overall the beer tastes a bit medicinal and quite a bit like blueberry cough syrup. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

04-04-2011 02:40:20 | More by Mora2000
IDYVM

12-24-2013 05:59:07 | More by IDYVM
startreker

I guess Im in the overwhelming minority here, but oh well.

I found this to be quite different, but nonetheless, very much enjoy this beer.

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. Color is purple, with a decent head. Left a decent lacing on my glass.

I thought I was drinking a blueberry wine, if there is such a thing. However, I did taste sweet malt, that finished with a faint bit of hops, that balanced it nicely.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and would recommend giving it a try.

Cheeers!!!