Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,445 | Reviews: 602
Reviews by runesead:
1.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Not the worst, but certainly not worth your time.

Appearance: It's purple. Beer should not be purple. It seems unnatural. This shows that they actively added coloring to make this unique or gimmicky.

Smell: This beer smells worse than it tastes. Skunky.

Taste: It tastes like someone dropped grape soda in a batch of yuengling. This does not taste like blueberries were in the mix, just flavoring

Mouthfeel: Nothing crazy, but this is not a taste you want to linger, which it does.

Drinkability: There is no need to drink this beer if you have any other beer around for the same price.

Note: My friend gave this to me, toting it as "the worst beer ever" not true, it's tolerable, but it's pretty bad.

1.36/5  rDev -38.7%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent.

1.1/5  rDev -50.5%

Well, they did it, they conned me into buying an A-B beer. Intrigued by an 8% blueberry beer, I picked up a single at the local wine and beer shop and was looking forward to trying it.

Then I saw the label and looked it up: Anheuser Busch product. Crap. Then I poured it out. It's a sickening bright fruit juice purple color with a purpleish-pink head that can't wait to vanish. You can smell the fruit juice from a foot away.

Tastes like a blueberry Spark's or something. Just sweet, syrupy juice with no real hint of anything resembling hops or malts anywhere.

Mouthfeel is thin and syrupy, so sweet it makes you pucker, a slight bite on the finish the only thing resembling actual beer.

No I do not want to drink any more of this. I suppose this could be a decent choice for an alternative to juice at breakfast, but unless you're used to wine cooler and are looking for something stronger, avoid this beer!

1.99/5  rDev -10.4%

Disturbing bluish purple color. Smells like fake blueberries. Tastes like a boozy blueberry malt beverage. Absolutely watery with no carbonation and a boozy aftertaste.
I didn't see the front of the label and immediately realized my mistake upon the first sip. Major oops. It's Anheuser Bush.

3.75/5  rDev +68.9%

I received this for free and I thought it was quite good. Not like a normal lager and the feel of the beer was a lot like soda. It had an immediate beer taste to it then you can taste the blueberry which in my opinion tasted a lot like a bacardi drink.

1.18/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

SO. This was in the premium section near all the locals and the Sierra Nevadas and etc. DID NOT realise it was AB Schwill. 8 percent, eh? So basically I'm figuring they brew some adjunct high gravity crap, then pour in some high fructose chemical blueberry shit, and WHAM there ya have it. Kinda misleading packaging and website. I expected a craft beer with some light fruit notes. I got gypped by macro garbage. GMO fructose headache, here I come!!!

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%

If it's natural flavor .. why does it taste like a popsicle ?

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours reddish-purple with a purple yogurt looking head.

Smells like a monster energy drink or a red bull. Blueberry and boysenberry are in there but the energy drink thing is unavoidable.

The taste is sweet and sugary, similar to a blueberry soda that has gone flat. The alcohol is hard to detect, which is its only saving grace. Not appealing, couldn't or wouldn't drink another one. Even one has its challenges.

2.9/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dude! It's purple! Extreme beer? Well, extreme color anyway! This does have the appearance of carbonated blueberry juice, complete with soapy purple head that disappeared within seconds. Zero lacing.

S: Well, it smells like blueberries, some yeast, and something sort of funky that reminded me of balsamic vinegar. Sort of odd.

T: I have to admit, from the look and smell I was ready to not like this. But truthfully, it sort of reminded me of a fruity lambic style brew - definitely not recognizable as a lager. Taste is overwhelmingly sweet blueberry with nothing else coming through until the finish. The finish itself is sort of odd, where the blueberry fizz dissipates giving way to a light malt taste that was probably there the whole time being strangled by the blueberries. Anyway, there is practically no linger but the malts coming through were a bit of a surprise.

M&D: Mouthfeel? Basically just like soda pop or a wine cooler. Beer is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when drinking this. Oddly, this was relatively easy to drink if you can get past the sweet juiciness. I'm probably going out on a limb here but I think this brew was at least an interesting departure from the norm.

3.61/5  rDev +62.6%

EDIT: Drink at your own risk during sporting events. I am confident this is the reason my team lost Saturday. Buyer BEWARE!!!1!11!!

Ive read the reviews, good and bad. Im going to give this Blueberry Lager, Fruit/Veg beer a fair shake.

Pours like a carbonated grape soda, with more remarkable lacing for a lager. Not much head, and it doesnt stay. I would have liked more head.

Smells like a Blueberry Boone's or other malt beverage. I dont get much of any lager, though I might catch grain, though also maybe rice :(. Gonna give it a 3, only because the lager side brings down the Fruit side.

Wow, impressive. Blueberry, light malt, non fructose finish, with what might be a hint of hops. Overall much better than the A and S. I was worried the blueberry sweetness was going to overpower the taste.

Sits very well, blueberry's are well balanced against lager and carbonation. Dissapation in the mouth is perfect.

Not sure I would drink a lot of these, though if blueberry is your thing, this is for you!

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%

One pint brown bottle with some ugly ass dog on the fruit kicking a giant blueberry with its hind leg. Poured, it looks like black currant juice, topped with a fizzy, tight purple-y-pink colored head. Retention is mediocre, with a creamy foam ring.

Strong artificial blueberry aroma, bubble-gummy, with a solvent edge.

If it didn't say "Blueberry Lager" on the label, you'd be hard-pressed in recognizing this as an actual beer. It's medium in body, with some syrupy density, and a prickly and spritzy carbonation. Quite tart upfront with acidic berry-like characters, super-sugary artificial blueberry sweetness, and smack of lime in the back. Sour in spots, with a growing alcohol presence as the beer warms. Dry finish, a bit tannic, with a fruit drink powderiness that's not overly desirable.

This is simply a Malt Liquor merged with a concentrate blueberry juice based soft drink. Nothing more.

1.57/5  rDev -29.3%

It's a purple beer...so I'm nervous. It's purple like a beet, or radishes. It's a little scary. It smells like blueberry syrup. I envision a cardboard box holding the plastic, Ziploc-like bag of Wild Blue. It's artificial and concentrated (which isn't all by itself a bad thing), but there is a question. The nose on a fruit beer should leave no question.

It's thick and concocted. It's a paste. Like a pharmaceutical suspension--or a natural fruit drink--perhaps it should say "Shake well before using." I had a buddy of mine tell me he likes to drink this beer. Buddy says he likes to do so in the shower. I may not hang out with this buddy anymore....

2.07/5  rDev -6.8%

It pours a light cranberry color with a pink head. The aroma is strong and full of blueberries and some malt notes. Its flavor is overwhelmingly fake and sweet with blueberries adding some tartness. Hop and malt flavors are barely detected. The palate is medium bodied with a sticky texture and the carbonation is fizzy.

1.09/5  rDev -50.9%

NO! NO! NO! Never again!

1.73/5  rDev -22.1%

16 oz brown bottle with a "born on date" freshness date on the label.

A- Looks like cheap burgundy pushed through a sparkler, very little head retention after the purple lace clears.

S- Smells of canned blueberry pie filling and a clean solvent alcohol.

T&M- Tastes like processed juice box juice, cheap lager ... or should I say malt liquor. Thin bodied with a thin and slick syrup like mouth feel. Slickly sweet IMO with some cheap beer qualities in the finish.

D- My palate could not take more than a few sips. There is only one word that really describes this beer.

HOOCH!

1.8/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I recently sampled this beer at the Extreme Beer Fest in Boston (Feb. 2006). I was intrigued by the selection Anheuser would produce for an "extreme" fest and felt I would be remiss not to at least give it a try!

In my glass it literally looked like soda or juice. It was a deep blue/purple color with very little head. It was extremely carbonated and reminded me of a soft drink.

The flavor was INCREDIBLY sweet and tasted more like fake blueberries than actual blueberries. I am a HUGE fan of blueberry beers but this one, unfortunately, was not up to snuff.

As I drank it, I could feel the carbonation swirling in my mouth. At first I didn't mind the taste, but bear in mind that this was a four-ounze sample and about half-way through I felt overwhelmed by the sweetness. It was dificult finishing the small sample. Really, this reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer. If that's what you're looking for - a sweet, very fruity, overwhelmingly blueberryish beer that goes down like juice, then this is for you. If this doesn't sound like your taste, I would recommend trying something else!

1.3/5  rDev -41.4%

Appearance: clear, blueish-purple in color, 1/4 inch head, minimal carbonation

Smell: sour blueberries and grape juice

Taste: spoiled grape juice, alcohol, some hops, and artificial blueberry

Mouthfeel: high carbonation--fizzy, light body, sticky sweet with a sour middle

Drinkability: This tastes like spolied grape juice with maybe a bit of children's medicine. Overly harsh and sour, this was hard to finish. One and done and just a step above Cave Creek Chili as my least favorite beer.

2.37/5  rDev +6.8%

Just drank the thing out of the bottle.

At first taste, it was delicious. Tasted like a smooth blueberry drink with a heavy alcohol content... continue on to beer 2 and 3 and it began to taste more like Four Loko than a beer. Ended up finishing the 6 pack and feeling awful the next day. Beautiful reprieve is the 8 % ABV.

2.7/5  rDev +21.6%

The beer pours a reddish-purple with a pink head. The aroma is heavy on the blueberries and cherries. The only notes I get in the aroma are fruit, no malt or hops are present. The flavor is more of the same. There is a ton of blueberry and some alcohol in the flavor. You can tell it is 8 percent. Overall the beer tastes a bit medicinal and quite a bit like blueberry cough syrup. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I guess Im in the overwhelming minority here, but oh well.

I found this to be quite different, but nonetheless, very much enjoy this beer.

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. Color is purple, with a decent head. Left a decent lacing on my glass.

I thought I was drinking a blueberry wine, if there is such a thing. However, I did taste sweet malt, that finished with a faint bit of hops, that balanced it nicely.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and would recommend giving it a try.

Cheeers!!!

1.45/5  rDev -34.7%

I have no one to blame but myself for buying a six-pack of something I have not sampled before. Saw it last week, label caught my eye. Came across it again when buying some extra beer for the holidays. I generally like blueberry-flavored beer. Considered Wild Blue and Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Bad choice.

Was not like beer at all, more like red wine or grape juice, in color, consistency and taste. Had less than half the bottle. Had guests try it, no one liked it. Five bottles left, too late for stocking stuffers.

2.09/5  rDev -5.9%

There are a group of beers that are often cited as being beers for people that don't like beer. That Wild Blue is often cited at the top of this list just goes to show that if you don't like beer, chances are that any beer you'll like won't taste like it. Wild Blue certainly doesn't.

Visually, Wild Blue at least looks the part. It pours a nice, two-finger purple head and there's abundant lacing as you swill it down. The beer itself is a deep purple-brown color. If I were to judge a beer by looks alone, you'd think that Wild Blue Blueberry Lager is a good one. Unfortunately for AB, taste is ultimately king when it comes to beer.

The smell is where you start to detect that there's something wrong. It's very fruity, but not in a natural way. If you want to think of an artificially flavored drink, Kool-Aid, Welch's Grape "Juice" or generic grape "drank," you're on the right track. It's not really unpleasant, but it really doesn't smell natural. It's almost as if AB had brewed regular old macro-lager and added artificially-flavored blueberry syrup to it.

Once you start to drink it, you know something is wrong. It's drinkable enough I suppose, but you have to remind yourself that you're drinking beer, at least for as long as it's cold. Once, it warms up a bit, you start to notice the malt-liquor like taste, but not at all in a good way. It's very sweet and has that artificial blueberry flavor, but this is beer in name only. If there's a positive note to add to that, it's that it's very hard to believe that this is an 8% ABV brew.

Ultimately, all I can say is that I'm glad I like beer. If this is the swill non-beer drinkers turn to, I actually kind of feel sorry for them. If this were marketed as a flavored malt beverage, I'd probably be a bit less harsh, but the fact that AB tries to market this along the lines of a micro-brew is insulting at best. There are good examples of fruit beer out there (Abita Purple Haze comes to mind, a personal favorite), but this surely isn't it. If you like real beer, I would advise you to steer clear, but in the event you like the idea of a brew that comes across like a blueberry soda, well, you might give it a try (with a healthy helping of my pity).

1.86/5  rDev -16.2%

Bottle

Thanks for the gift, DarthKostrizer!

Dark purple with ruby edges and nearly no head or visible carbonation. This looks like juice with just the smallest hint of bubbly, though it does leave some spots of sticky lace down the glass.

Sickly sweet aroma of blueberry syrup but seems particularly artificial and man-made. There's very little vibrant, fresh, authentic fruit flavor here. There's also a metallic, sherry, chemical note as well. Unpleasant.

The flavor is worse than the aroma and I swear I taste vodka! This tastes like blueberry (?) juice mixed with a dash of 7up and cheap vodka. I don't even wish this mess on sorority sisters.

Thin mouthfeel with low carbonation and a bit metallic.

Gross.

3.4/5  rDev +53.2%

These guys are nuts. While it's not really a beer, it does get the job done with 8% alcohol.

Blueberry soda-pop that isn't too sweet and gives a nice buzz.

Alternating with a nice IPA keeps your taste buds on their toes.

I don't really have anything else to say; the moderator should keep in mind that the first rule of writing is that one should never use two words when one will suffice.

1.3/5  rDev -41.4%

Ugh, where to begin? I had an unfortunate run in with this beer while making a custom mix pack from my local store which has a nice selection of singles. Fortunately I only got one.

A: Sickly artificial purple color.

S: Similar to appearance, it smells like some sort of artificial blueberry soda.

T: Horrid, I chocked down half a glass before I gave up. Overly sweet, bitter, unbalanced, artificial, medicinal flavor.

M: Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I stopped at taste.

D: This is the complete opposite of drinkability.

My only drain pour to date. Avoid at all costs. I wasn't aware this was an AB product when purchasing. I saw fruit and 8% ABV and assumed either Lambic or at least some interesting experiment. This is malt liquor with a heap of bottom rung artificial blueberry flavoring.

Kudos to those few that love this concoction. You must have iron-clad willpower to make it through an entire glass.

to view more.