Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros

zapx, Aug 18, 2012

Nakedtown, Jul 26, 2014

jamesrange62, Mar 13, 2012

This beer is, as they say, as close to a wine as they come - but it is not - it is just a good healthy, frothy lager. It pretends to be nothing else.

Blueberry is an understatement. The taste itself is sweet like blueberries right off the vine. It helps me recall an earlier day when beer was made from the ingredients that one found locally. It has no bad aftertaste and is truly a delicious brew.

Those who find this beer a bad option must be stuck in the mindset that beer must taste one way and one way only....but Wild Blue stands on its' own. The only surprising thing about Wild Blue is that it is made by those who bring us Budweiser. Will it hold up through the transition period to new ownership? I do not know - but if it does - then maybe reviewers who skewered this unique brew will be able to revisit and maybe change their minds.

TexSpence, Jun 18, 2009

docedoce7, Dec 11, 2011

bigplaymorton, Dec 03, 2011

Petersfavoritebrews, Jul 06, 2014

The people who don't like this beer generally just don't like sweet beers. This drink is delicious and tastes like a blueberry soda. Careful though, it's 8%, but you wouldn't know it by drinking it. I've had a lot of different beers, and this one is by far my favorite. Everyone has their go-to beer, and this one is mine. Unfortunately it's really expensive to drink every night, so you might wanna keep this one for some weekends or special occasions.

YaDad, Aug 27, 2014

My new FAVORITE beer! Smell, taste, mouthfeel and especially drinkability are all FANTATSTIC! It's a little strong at 8% alc, but goes down smooth. My local liquor store only carries it in 6 packs, and sells out pretty regularly. A highly recommended drink.

Spankmaster, Sep 12, 2010

Dency, Today at 12:47 PM

mnsdg, Dec 04, 2011

I don't normally care for alcohol in general but when I tried the Wild Blue Blueberry lager/ale I was pretty impressed with it. I will definitely buy it again and recommend it to others as well. I drank it straight from the bottle so can't really give much on the appearance but everything else was excellent in my opinion.

Chemelli, Jan 19, 2013

vrx400dh, Aug 09, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +126.1%

Most regular beer drinkers will not like this offering. But for those who do not like bitter/hoppy brews, this is a great alternative. I normally look for sweet/malty brews.

I was treated to this at a steakhouse. I usually cannot find many beers I care to drink, as I find them overhopped and bitter/tangy, with little reason to try them again.

This tastes like a blueberry soda: sweet, bright and satifying, but watch out, it packs 8% alcohol. If you drink 2 it will pack a whallop!

It is an excellent alternative to the normal hoppy offerings. Don't let the fact it is brew by AB put you off. Give it a try.

sweetmaltman, Jul 02, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +120.2%

Although this beer has gotten bad review from most of the users on this site I was exceptionally pleased with the overall taste of this beer. Yes, it is a sweet beer and yes it is a bit overpowering but I tend to think this can be a good thing from time to time. It really depends on the overall users taste. I myself am a big fan of blueberries, and to find a beer that tastes like a lucious and sweet blueberry that pops in your mouth as you eat it I think that this beer has been unfairly rated in most aspects. I think of this beer as more of a lambic than anything if you are looking for a retreat from the more servitude koscher beer flavors than this beer is for you. It's definately not your average beer but as fruit flavored beers go it definitely promises more flavor than your average Sam Adam's Cherry lambic. Don't expect this beer to be your normal beer flavor, but don't discount it for being too fruity, who knows you may like it I did.

Albinoi, Nov 13, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +119.3%

I really like this fruity brew. It is very easy to drink and at 8% it won't be long before you notice its there. When poured into glass kinda of a shock it is purple in color like grape juice kinda like red wine. Its smell was of very noticable grain notes with blueberry the taste was great with a very light body mouthfeel this is an easy drinking tasty brew!

kdawg105, Oct 07, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +119.3%

This blueberry beer is the best I have tasted. With it's full body and aroma it is pleasantly palatable. It is slightly sweet but not too sweet, and looks and tastes of delectable blueberries. The only downside is the calories. At about 260 per bottle I tend to limit myself to 1 or 2. Perhaps that can be a good thing!

minneneva, Apr 07, 2013

loose5682, Apr 18, 2013

MattHagberg, May 08, 2014

mwar, Dec 02, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +117.9%

I love this beer. The taste is almost wine smooth but with a lot of kick. I will be trying the Wild Red today. This is not a beer for people who like the Coors, Budweiser, Miller type beers. This is for people who love different flavors and tastes. I am not a national brand beer drinker. I actually love the different type of beers/ ales a lot more, more variety in tastes, smell and texture.

PatrtiotLady67, Aug 11, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +113.3%

First off this is a kind of beer that is like a glass of wine. If you don't like wine chances are you will probably not like Wild Blue. I like wine a lot so this beer appealed to me.

It is very very sweet and a nice change of pace. Really taste like blueberry or grape juice. I know that probably doesn't appeal to a lot of beer drinkers, but it is a nice beer to have a couple glasses on a winter night or even summer night.

Kind of shocked to see all the negative reviews for this beer, but it is probably more like a sweet glass of wine. Has an ALC. content of 8% so you got to love that :)

deaddogdesign, Dec 25, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +111%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this fruity beer since I first discovered it two years ago. It helped me remodel my house! Once ice cold, it's pure bliss on a hot summer day. I used to drink wine, but stopped due to acid and heartburn. I often see people disliking this type of beer - mainly people who drink stuff like Bud, Coors, etc., which makes sense. I don't drink grocery store beers, and love the rich, fruit flavor and 8% alcohol level, which gets me where i need to be on two beers, instead of eight, and keeps me from having a beer gut the size of Texas!

A_R_Davis, Oct 07, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +111%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To start off, I'm an IPA drinker, yet occasionally I like a good Kool-Aid beer. This is definitely a Kool-Aid beer. I will down a quick sweet Leinie's Berry Weiss on occasion and love it, so this was up my alley.

Whoa, hits me like a ton-o bricks when I drink it as fast, since it's 8%. Wow. This really shouldn't be ranked with other beers since it's almost a "malt beverage" but I liked it. I liked it a lot. I'm almost embarrassed to say I did, but I did. It reminds me of the blueberry Eggos I had with my five year old this morning. LOL

The beer itself is sweet. Pouring it I found a beer that is the same hue as wine, of all things--a purple rarely found in beer. The head disappeared almost immediately. The aroma reminds me of IHOP on a Sunday morning and I've just poured a healthy portion of blueberry syrup over my short stack of hotcakes. It also reminds me of the aforementioned Leinie's Berry Weiss. I don't get an unpleasant artificially sweet aftertaste, which was pleasing.

This might be really appreciated by people who grew up on "Grape Drink" (Dave Chapelle?) or who cannot tolerate the bitterness of a good brew. You'll probably love it if you like like fruity beers. I did. But since I like bitter DIPA's regularly, I can't get over how good this beer is. I just wonder what a Bell's Hopslam would taste like after one of these?

benniewi, Sep 13, 2010