Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 572 | Hads: 1,479
1.57/5  rDev -28.3%

I usually don't write reviews , but some injustice against humanity are too much for me to be a silent spectator.
This is not a beer , its a bastard child of wine and anti freez.

It is as sweet as cold cough surup. I immidietly was embaressed when they got it in a glass. it looks like some octopus just took a huge dump in my glass. (336 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +47.9%

This tastes more like an alcohol added grape/blueberry soda. They go down extreme easy but are quite strong and hit you hard outta no where. 2-3 are ok ice cold. A 6 pack and you're doomed (188 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -6.8%

Freebie from my neighbor so I guess I won't complain.

Look - I really don't even want to know, So I'll just have it straight from the bottle.

Smell - Basically like taking a malt liquor ( Think Hurricane ) and letting a blueberry Popsicle melt into it. Everything here even without tasting comes off as generic and cheap.

Taste - Kind of like one of those Popsicles you would find in the back of your freezer as a kid. Would usually be stale and a tad freezer burnt. Imagine the taste of that, except melted into a 40 oz of your local drunk swill.

Feel - The carbonation is real in this one. Sits like syrup.

Overall - It wasn't the WORST thing I've ever had. But this one belongs to those 21-24 year old girls you see sitting around a bonfire eyeing down the biggest douche at the party waiting to end up a single mother. (827 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Ok Ok I get it. It is really not in the same class as your best imperial IPA, but it does not try to be. I can tell you after working outside in July in Phoenix (105 degrees today in the shade) it was quite refreshing. It does need to be cold though. I poured half into a tulip and left the other half in the freezer. Very refreshing! Can't stress enough to keep it cold. Once it warms up it is not as good. Normally, I would NEVER buy anything from Anheuser-Busch, but I saw this at the local supermarket on a hot day and bought it. Again, it is really pretty good on a hot day and if it's been chilled down to about 38 degrees. I am a hard core IPA fan, but trying to limit my exposure and try other things because of the man boob scare with the hops. (Yeah, Google it)

That being said, I could only drink one............. Now for a Firestone Walker Double IPA. I hope I won't need a bra. (892 characters)

If I wanted wine I'd buy wine!!! Pours flat, very fruity blueberry taste, like a wine cooler. NOT enjoyable at all. Might be ok if I'd mix it with another beer to give it some bitterness, other than that, it's useless. I don't see how this is anything close to being called a brew. Definitely won't buy again! (314 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +81.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I hate to say this but it was actually good. Not sure why the ratings are so bad.

Now, my secret. Pour it in a 22 oz glass and add blueberries. It's delicious!

AS others will say. It doesn't look like beer.

Apparently, it is actually beer:

I would love to have this with some sort of strawberry pie. It would be awesome. Seriously though. THere are seddert wines, why not dessert beers? (467 characters)

Interesting stuff...poured burgundy in color with purple fuzzy head. tastes like a blueberry soda. not unpleasant, but didn't taste like beer. Something for the wife, for sure. 50 cent single from Winter Haven ABC. (218 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +58.9%

If you want something sweet that tastes like a beer then look no further, OK, its no Sam Smith Chocolate stout as far as a sweet beer goes but ladies enjoy the taste and its 8% so give her two and let the party rock! (216 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

First of all, I didnt buy this so I can be as objective as humanly possible since not a single penny of my money will be harmed.

As I pour it into my red solo cup that I feel it may not be deserving off, it is the most unappealing beer I have ever seen. They could have used this in the imagery in A Clockwork Orange. First, there is nothing remotely blue about the appearance. It is cherry red with a red fizzy head. It reminds me of a flavored Clearly Canadian or New York Seltzer. Better yet, imagine a carbonated Robitussin. If I could apply a 0, or better yet, a negative number here I would.

It smells medicinal. Sort of like cough medicine and sugar. Cherry 7-Up and hummingbird food maybe?

The taste is by far the least offensive part. It is actually "consumable" to an extent, depending on your how high your tolerance for artificially flavored wine coolers is. Of course, it doesn't taste anything like blueberry, naturally. It is cherry or raspberryish and as sweet as the good looking mom of your friend when you were 12. To me it tastes like a Splenda factory exploded and they got rid of all of the spillage from the tanks by putting it in these bottles along with left over Capri Sun. Rememer. This is the best aspect.

With the carbonation level, I am surprised the caps don't fly off and kill some of the 95 lb college girls that obviously make up 99.9% of the people buying this. But hey, if you like shitty champagne with a splash of wildberry kool aid this is probably your thing.

Someone else said that "it tastes like sadness feels". I would say it tastes more like desperation or a concussion. (1,627 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Absolutely awful. Taste like a four Loko with more abv just nasty. Too sweet, no substance, syrupy and unpleasant. This is the type of beer you buy drink if you lost a bet. (172 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +51.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Surprisingly nice head. Blueberry aromas, not much adjunct smell. Goes down smooth, but it's a little tart and syrupy. Overall not the worst fruit beer out there. (162 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +65.3%

The sweetness hides the 8% abv. If you're into Smirnoff ice or mikes hard it may be up your alley if you want something with a higher abv. Not my thing but it's good for what it is. (181 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I found this upsetting. I sent my best friend eleven texts attempting to articulate my displeasure after consuming a entire bottle. It's cloyingly sweet and MAYBE if this marriage of flavor were attempted with an IPA it would be passable but as a lager it's not working out, no bitterness to cut through. The color is also unsettling. Very flat, ultimately tastes like an accident. (381 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -9.1%

Disturbing bluish purple color. Smells like fake blueberries. Tastes like a boozy blueberry malt beverage. Absolutely watery with no carbonation and a boozy aftertaste.
I didn't see the front of the label and immediately realized my mistake upon the first sip. Major oops. It's Anheuser Bush. (292 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +122.8%

Not for everyone, but for those who really do not like the bitterness of most beers this is great way to go. Yes it is sweet. Yes it does really taste like blueberries with a little beer in the background (compared to other blueberry ales that taste like 90% beer with a little blueberry put in just to say it is there). For me that is much preferable to those "fake blueberry ales". But it is very drinkable and is remarkably refreshing. However be careful not to forget it is an 8% brew and if you down it like a soda or fruit drink, it will kick you. Anheuser-Busch got it right. (590 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -46.1%

I'm a woman and I thought this fruity "beer" was gross. I had to pour it out. The potential buzz off the 8% couldn't convince me to choke it down. I'm sad for this beer. (172 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -37.9%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent. (370 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +120.5%

A very solid beer for people who can't palate beer. Also, very dangerous because if you were like me you didn't realize it was 8% abv until after drinking 3 of them! (165 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

SO. This was in the premium section near all the locals and the Sierra Nevadas and etc. DID NOT realise it was AB Schwill. 8 percent, eh? So basically I'm figuring they brew some adjunct high gravity crap, then pour in some high fructose chemical blueberry shit, and WHAM there ya have it. Kinda misleading packaging and website. I expected a craft beer with some light fruit notes. I got gypped by macro garbage. GMO fructose headache, here I come!!! (451 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -22.4%

So A-b makes this stuff but it's so bad they don't put there name anywhere on the bottle. Too sweet. I don't waste beer I drank them all and they'll get you pretty lit but this is some of the worst beer I've ever had (216 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +69.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Despite the hating here, this was tasty as heck. Pours _blue_ with a finger of _blue_ head, which both retains and laces. Aroma is blueberry. Taste is blueberry. Lack of booziness at 8% is fantastic and sweetness is nice. Girly or not, this stuff is fantastic. (260 characters)

2.34/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours purple-red with thin head and modest bubbles. Lots of blueberry aroma as you might expect with some tartness and malt notes. Tastes like fizzy kool-aid with a little spice. Too sweet. (189 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -47%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Smells extremely sweet with an off-putting blueberry scent (smells way too smeet) and alcohol. The main off putter for me was the texture of this thing. It almost tastes like syrup. Won't be seeking this out again. (214 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark purple with a blue-ish hued head. The smell was very heavy with alcohol. The taste was not as bad as I was expecting, but still way too sweet with heavy alcohol burn. The texture was also far too syrupy for me. Not a fan. (234 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours with a small, purple head. Looks just like grape juice. Has an aroma of blueberries, malts, and alcohol that combines to create a slightly unpleasant aroma. Initial taste is sweet from the blueberries, but aftertaste is bitter from the combination of malts and alcohol. Overall, a poor beer. But I have had worse. (319 characters)

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch