Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 577 | Hads: 1,489

I was looking for a new beer at the store and decided to play Russian Roulette and just grab the first thing I saw. Yeah, won't being doing that again any time soon.

A: Purplish pink with a very minimal head.
I've tried other fruit beers but I haven't ever seen one with this vibrate of color. Looks a little like Grape Nehi.

S: Smells like blueberries with a very sickeningly saccharine edge to it.

T: It's difficult to find words for this one. But bad. Very, VERY bad. I am overwhelmed by the flavor of blueberries, and sugar. I couldn't detect anything resembling beer as the fruit flavoring shuts out everything else. Tasted like a blue berry wine or champagne, but definitely not like beer.

M: Bubbly with excessive carbonation. "Sweet" taste buds exhausted and in revolt. A crisp finish.

O: Before I drank this I don't think I've ever "hated" a beer before. Give me any beer I've had in the past that I didn't care for, and I would gladly down a 6 pack of them before stomaching 1 bottle of this stuff.

Seriously, take the juice from a can of blue berries, make pruno out of it and mix with 7-Up. Congratulations, you have now made Wild Blue Lager. (1,161 characters)

Picked up a sixer@ the local store, I actually was going for the SN Celeration Ale, which they where fresh out of and this caught my eye, says on the carton that they won a gold medal, What a laugh, This is not beer, it's more like rancid fruit juice laced with alc. I will never buy another AB product again in my life as this product is a INSULT!!!! (351 characters)

Poured an awful grape juice color with a touch of soda pop head

smells exactly like flintstone vitamons.

Taste like bad tart grapejuice. where is the beer?

mouthfeel is thin and watery, no carbonation or body at all.

just plain awful not beer at all, avoid this at all costs. (279 characters)

I had to dump this one... I couldn't bare it. The smell alone was

so horrid, that I couldn't get it past my nose. I took a few sips

and I felt like I was drinking blueberry flavored piss. I've heard

mixed reviews of this brew (if you can even call it that), but I for

one would highly recommend never buying this beer. I even got

curious and aged one for a couple of months, thinking that

maybe there could be something to this beer, but again I was

wrong. It was still the same with a lot less kick. PLEASE AVOID

THIS BEER AT ALL COSTS! !! (556 characters)

Ba Review #211
Served On: 08/15/2012
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: 8.0%
Date/ Code: 1284BJ28

Picked this up at Evergreen Liquors in Frederick, MD because I never had it before and assumed it was from a high-quality craft brewery of sorts - judging by the label.

Look: poured a cartoonish purple with a lighter purple head that dissipated in a few seconds. The carbonation bubbles completely took over the body of the neon purple liquid. Lacing was nonexistent

Smell: Blueberry was definitely all that came through in the nose along with some malt liquor skunk. Almost like blueberry syrup found at Ihop or Bob Evans, mixed with a light macro lager.

Taste: Ok… heavy artificial blueberry with a Fruity Pebbles cereal character. The finish was of a residual dextrose and a dry Bud Light aftertaste with some fusel alcohol.

From what I can tell – Inbev created a fictitious brewery in New York in order to justify the false advertising on the label of this beer. With that said, please learn from my mistake - do plenty of research before just randomly selecting a beer from the shelves of your bottle shop when feeling adventurous. This was a classic case of false advertising. (1,189 characters)

Simply the worst beer I've ever had, and I've tasted thousands. This is disgusting. I'm not some anti-fruit beer kind of guy. In fact, I love Lancaster Brewery's Strawberry Wheat, so when I saw this I picked up a six pack.

I can't remember another time when I opened a beer (and the first one of the night) and I didn't finish it, and later, pour the entire remaining five bottles down the sink.

The beer is purple in color. There is nothing lager about it. It is sour blueberry juice with grain alcohol. Disgusting. Avoid. (527 characters)

Simply the worst beer I think I have ever had. Poured a bright, unnatural blue-pink color with a big, fizzy head that quickly disappeared. Smell was nothing big sweet, processed, sugary blueberry. I was not looking forward to the taste, and my hunch was right. The taste was nothing but syrupy blueberries, so sweet that it actually stung. The mouthfeel was incredibly fizzy. I've had some bad beers in my day, but I couldn't finish more then 4 sips of this one. It was more like a novelty soda gone bad than a beer. It's beers like this that give other fruit beers a bad, bad name. Stay away! (593 characters)

This beer pours a plum color. The head is one inch in height, pink in color, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of artificial blueberries. The taste is a combination of blueberries and bile. This is the most offensive tasting beer I have ever had. The mouthfeel is over carbonated and watery. Overall, this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. (367 characters)

I'll start by being honest. AB did it. They dressed up a beer as craft, hoping to snare unsuspecting drinkers, and they won.

It tastes like cough syrup, both on the palate and in the aftertaste. It's simply shocking. I've long clamored for a blueberry beer that is so intensely blueberry that it pours purple, and thought that this might be the answer to my prayers, but no. A higher-than-expected ABV (8%) gives it some *super* slight merit, but it can't save the beer overall. I'd recommend steering clear. (510 characters)

Wild Blue is not only an absolutely vile beer; it may be one of the most disgusting beverages to ever cross my lips. First of all, I'm dubious about its claim of being a "beer;" from first sip, all this beer comes across as is a good amount of cheap blueberry cocktail juice (think the 99 cent per half gallon high fructose corn syrup garbage they sell at dollar stores/serve at elementary school parties, and you're there) with a bit of cheap malt liquor (or diluted vodka) added. No malt or hop flavors or scents are detectable, only a cloying, overpowering amount of sugar and artificial berry to hide the 8% ABV, presumably from drinkers who would be intimidated/awed by the idea of an 8% beer. To address its appearance, it's quite an unnatural blue/purple... not something I'd like to see in any food/drink I'm having, let alone my beer. It's quite an effort to not give this beer straight 1s; I will give Wild Blue the benefit of the doubt and leave it with a 1.5 in drinkability... in hopes(?) that there is a worse beer out there for me to try... somewhere, someday.

Updated June 2012; since drinkability is no longer a rating category, I feel obligated to bump this one down to straight 1's (from a 1.5 in drinkability/overall). While I have had a marginally worse beer, I can't in good conscience give this beverage anything more than a 1/5 overall. (1,361 characters)

Appearance: Did I buy a red wine by accident? Nope. I checked the label again, and it said "blueberry lager." Huh. The color is a deep, clear, purple-tinted amber. The head is straight-up purple, with soda fizziness. It disappears quickly.

Smell: Pure grape juice, somewhat sour. Only the faintest hint of malt. I checked the label again to make sure I was drinking beer.

Taste: My God, this is horrible. Tart, yet sickly sweet, blueberries collide with raucous, obvious alcohol flavors. Some slight, dry malt flavor cuts off the viscous sweetness of the blueberries. Tastes like the love child of Milwaukee's Best and a bottle of Boone's Farm.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated. Rough and fizzy, with no body to speak of.

Verdict: My first-ever beer with ones across the board. This is a terrible, irredeemable mess of a "beer." The brewmaster who conceived of this filth should be ashamed of himself. A definite drain pour. (943 characters)

Because of Anheuser-Busch's deceptive marketing tactics, I bought this sorry excuse for beer, thinking it was from a new craft brewery. I should have known better.

As soon as I poured this vile liquid into my glass I knew I was in trouble. It poured with a ghastly, unnatural purple-red color. It looked almost like grape soda, with almost no head to speak of.

The mouthfeel was also like that of soda, and the flavor and aroma resembled blueberry pie filling.

There is nothing about this crap that even remotely resembles beer. I had to literally plug my nose to finish the bottle. The remaining five bottles were promptly poured down the drain. I felt leery even doing that, out of fear it might pose an environmental hazard.

There goes $7.99 down the drain -- literally.

WORST. BEER. EVER.

Buyer beware. (812 characters)

Despite otherwise negative reviews, I've bravely decided to review this.

Color: More blue than blue with a one-finger head. 8% ABV? What?

Aroma: Artificial blueberry aroma with nothing but blueberry. Can't smell the lager part.

Taste: Starts out sweet but then fades to a horrible aftertaste that resembles blueberry soda more than beer. There's no "lager" part. Sour in the middle and again, very little resemblance to beer.

Mouthfeel: Why bother?

Verdict: Awful. I've had plenty of fruit beers but this one is the absolute worst I've ever had. I have to agree with other reviews. The blueberry begins and never ends. There's no actual beer taste. I don't think I can finish a glass of this. (697 characters)

Like a combination of grape juice and medicine. It even looked liked juice when I poured it into the glass. I thought this was a craft beer, and when I tasted this garbage I had to find out more, I am very suprised that even AB would put this out. Avoid at all costs. (267 characters)

Back in the day, when I was 18 and lived in the dorm, we used to drink a cheap wine called Bali Hai. Well, Wild Blue reminds me of Bali Hai or Boone's Farm. Except Blue here has a major kick to it and it's not a good kick! Unsophisticated sweet, syrup like consistency. I can't say anything good about this beverage. If I was underage and I wanted a buzz and had not developed a taste for beer or wine, this would be it. Really, this is just one bad excuse of a "lager". The alcohol does not mesh. It's almost like it was fortified with alcohol. The alcohol should complement the beer and be part of the taste experience. I have 5 1/2 bottles of this stuff left and don't know what to do with it. If this was Blue Moon, I could use it to bake an orange chicken. But, I don't want a blueberry blue/purple colored chicken. My wife says it reminds her of a cheap cosmo. I'm going to try it as a blueberry beer float with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it for dessert. If that doesn't work, down the drain. I would not serve this to a guest and I sure as heck won't drink it. Thinking back, this is very similar to Malt Duck and I hated Malt Duck. This stuff is worse than Hop n Gator. (1,182 characters)

12 oz. Bottle:

A: Dark color with blue tint; lots of carbonation: Malt liquor like.

S: Smells like fake blueberries and chemicals... uggh.

T: Tastes the same as the smell, finishing one bottle of this was a battle of the will.

M/D: Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

This is a cheap beer with artificial flavoring; one of the first beers my friend bought when he turned 21 (three months ago) and the rest of the six pack is still sitting in the fridge. Awful! (459 characters)

Wild Blue (Blueberry Lager) pours a purple color with a thin purple head. Smells like hi-c. The flavor is a flat out disaster. It tastes nothing like beer, and not really like a wine cooler or typical malternative either. There is some vaguely fruit like flavor, but it doesn't taste like blueberry. Blech. Drain pour. (318 characters)

Probably the worst beer I've ever had. My roommate got it because i guess he was in the mood for a blueberry beer and the packaging looked pretty cool. The 6-pack was in the fridge and I got home from work and asked if I could try one. Well, when I first poured it and it was purple I knew something was wrong. I took one sip and I couldnt believe how bad it was. It tasted like a syrupy grape soda type drink. I took one more sip and I was done, I couldnt even bear to have another sip. Gave the rest to my roommate and he had one sip and then the rest of the 6-pack went right down the sink.

Don't even bother. I didn't realize Anheuser made this beer until after it was all dumped. (685 characters)

Pours cloudy purple with pink highlights. Head is slight and quickly dissipates to a thin sheen.

Aroma is tart, with generous artificial fruit sweetness.

Taste is tangy grape soda with an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Powdery sugary feeling reminds me of kool-aid.

mouthfeel is light and thin. Could be kool-aid.

Don't bother. This isn't beer. (350 characters)

I, like many others, bought this beer accidentally thinking that it might be like Blue Paw Wheat Ale which I kinda like. I also thought that the 8% alcohol by volume might be interesting. However, try as I might I simply could not force myself to drink this; honestly, I did try. It looked like cool aid, smelled like blueberry jam, tasted perfectly dreadful with an even more horrible aftertaste. It also had the effect of something like cold duck or some horrible drink from the seventies. Had I seen anything on it that connected it to Busch, I would have steered clear but it is quite deceptive. Giving this scum a drinkability score would imply that it was drinkable and trust me...it was not. I have never ever poured beer or ale down the drain, but I did with this. The terrible thing is that I actually bought this. God help me! (836 characters)

A: Pours like grape juice into my pint glass. Minimal purple head.

S: Smells like Manoshevitz. Basically a mix of vodka and fruit juice.

T: Tart concentrated evil. So overpoweringly sweet to the point of disgust. This might be the worst beer ever made. There is a lager taste in the finish. Before that is is pure evil. Not even beer and I like fruit beers.

M: I can't taste this. This is too awful for words.

D: I would rather drink rubbing alcohol than this. I also agree that AB is pulling some shenanigans for not putting their name on their product and fronting that this is a micro. This is the worst beer I have ever had...ever. Do not even look at this beer on the shelf or risk your eyes falling out. (713 characters)

If I could give a lower score, I probably would. If you want cheap, syrupy, overly-sweet, gaudy fruit-beer, then I guess this might be your thing.

Smells like sugary syrupy beer
Looks like sugary syrupy blue beer
Tastes like Robitussin (at best)

If you want blueberry beer, just buy some Coors Light, puree some frozen blueberries and go to town. (348 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -53.2%

I think this is the only beer I've ever poured out.

Let me admit something up front: I really like fruit beers, and have had more than a couple blueberry beers.

Yet Wild Blue is absolutely undrinkable. I've read the positive reviews here & just still cannot make heads or tails of what they're talking about. I wish I would've read reviews before purchasing, but alas I had to find out the hard way what a wretched, gag-inducing taste this "beer" has.

So, yes, I poured it down my sink. I came back in the kitchen later & the smell was still seeping up and contaminating my home. If the thought of drinking Draino mixed with Kool-Aid and blue syrup makes you ill, then do stay clear of Wild Blue. (702 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -53.2%

This beer reminded me of Hi-C fruit punch with a slight kick of alcohol. Not what I would consider a beer at all. It's very sweet and hard to finish. It has a sweet syrupy taste to it that's just plain terrible. If you're thirsty for something this sweet drink a wine cooler. (275 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -53.2%

A: What...is...this? Dark purple color with a thin but really creamy light purple head. This looks scary as hell.

S: Oh no. Blueberry bubblegum/cotton candy, grape cough syrup, juice box, and an overwhelming amount of sweetness.

T: This is so gross. Super syrupy mouthfeel with huge grape cough syrup and artificial blueberry notes. The finish brings hints of grain, stale bread and already been chewed blueberry scones. Leaves a nasty sour taste in the mouth after swallowed. This is easily the worst I've ever had. (518 characters)

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch