Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 586 | Hads: 1,520
1.62/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours blueish purple. Smells like juice and malty alcohol. Tastes like a boozy wine cooler mixed with blueberry juice. Feels like juice with a bite. Overall, lacking in beerness... Probably more comparable to a juice or spritzer than beer.

4.24/5  rDev +97.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Taste like spiked grape juice. To be totally honest I had no interest on ever trying this, but my local Wegmans had it in the "Craft Your Own Pack" So I decided to give it a try. I was caught off guard on how sweet it first tasted and then had a bite at the end. If you like grape juice you will probably like this. Give it a try!

3.09/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Well, I'm an idiot, and bought this thinking it was from Flying Dog.

It's not as bad as people here say it is. I poured it into a snifter. Pours a deep, dark purple. Looks like wine.

Smells like when I mix fruit soda with vodka. Not good.

Taste is... decent. Blast of blueberry, but there's also some nice sort of pie crust-like malt flavors. Tastes like blueberry pie. There's a bit of a warming undercurrent of alcohol, but it doesn't taste as boozy in the snifter as it does out of the bottle. It pretty much tastes how I'd expect an 8% blueberry lager to taste.

Mouthfeel is good - sort of creamy, which lets you know it's a beer, not a crappy cocktail.

Overall it's far better than the "awful" average rating would have you believe, though I can certainly understand why this might be a drain pour for some people (but then, what do you expect from an 8% blueberry lager?).

8%. One or two of these will give you a very nice buzz. Taste is enjoyable. Color looks like grape juice but I don't care because it does the job. High quality beer.

1.24/5  rDev -42.3%

Wild Blue, blueberry lager. Or as I call it Bird diahria in a bottle. This is probably the most disgusting beer I have ever had. I could give a description but it just not worth my time or yours. Absolutely Gross F to infinity and beyond even my kitchen sink said "thanks dick" when I poured it down the drain. I think I would suck a ......... before I would ever drink this nasty ass shit again. And I was going to say poop cycle you Gross Ass. Do not buy this in fact if you see it at a store throw it on the ground and save one person's taste buds.

4.81/5  rDev +123.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing fruit beer! To my surprise, it is not too sweet to enjoy a few of them. Most fruity beers are too sugary and gives a headache. Not Wild Blue, between the high alcohol content and great taste, you can't wrong.

2.51/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present. Finally getting around to reviewing this one from Anheuser-Busch, acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's for the purpose of review. Expectations are low; I remember trying this once before several years back. Label says 'May contain blueberry sediment' LOL.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass for the sake of knowledge.

A - Pours an attractive blueberry / grape juice colored body with about two fingers of pinkish-purple tinted white foam for a head. Semi-decent head retention considering the moderate abv. Leaves some okay fluffy lacing behind. Looks alright, I guess, considering what it is.

S - A medicinal and artificial aroma pervades. Not pulling out anything in the wake of authentic beer aromas from this one. No hop content, no malt, no roast, no yeast. Purely artificially flavored blueberry / grape drink, with some vodka esque alcohol fumes.

T - Taste follows the nose: cheap and artificially flavored wine-cooler flavor with some poorly made mixed drink vodka booziness. In no way does this resemble actual craft beer, or even an American adjunct lager. No malt, no hops, no yeast.

M - Crisply carbonated, and I suppose it is even easy-drinking, considering the high abv. Sweetened, medicinal, sticky, and boozy.

Overall, a poor poor example of a faux-craft blueberry lager. You'd be better off grabbing a wine-cooler, or making a mixed drink over this, because I would recommend this to those who like beer.

Anheuser-Busch Wild Blue -----2/5

2.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Given to me by a non-BA friend, who knows I'm into 'weird' beer.

Has a quite compelling, yet non-beery, look. Wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Wild Blue and any good 'ld blueberry juice. Likewise the smell is entirely dominated by blueberries, even though there is an unpleasant sour undertone to it.

Taste is simple, it's all blueberry. Reminds me of the blueberry juice+vodka drinks I used to mix in my young(er) days. If given as a blind test I would have disputed the fact that this is even a beer.

The beer markets itself as a blueberry lager, and is 8% ABV. Considering this, the fact that it so smooth is amazing. Even though it says something about the quality of the beer that the best thing one can say about it is that you barely notice drinking it.

My expectations of Wild Blue were incredibly low, and I would say I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not a 'beer' which will receive high praise on a site like this, which is no surprise to me. However I can see how non-BA's would find this enjoyable.

All things considered, 2.53. Will not buy again (for myself). Perhaps I'll suggest it as a good beer for quick intoxication to a friend or two. Or I'll just get new friends.

I LOVE his beer! I am a woman so that my influence my decision. I do not like the regular taste of beer. This beer tastes good for those who can't take the bitter taste of your normal beer. Who can deny the alcohol content of 8%!?

1.82/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is the closest to a drain pour I've ever come, probably. I only didn't because of my own personal rule that if I buy it, I drink it. Still, this beer is like a combination of a wine cooler, Colt 45, and blueberry pie filling. It's a crime against humanity that Anheuser-Busch doesn't have its name somewhere on this, because I never would have bought this otherwise.

The only redeeming quality of this beer is the 8% abv, so at least you'll feel it afterward.

4.33/5  rDev +101.4%

Americans have no big experience about strong fruity beers . As a Belgian citizen I find this beer to be on par of a good strong fruit tasting beer. Maybe the head is not as good as it could be. But for the price it is a killer great tasting style not close to lambic but very nice to have and very satisfactory taste . Duvel is closest to the alcohol content. And for summer I find this a Hit. Anheuser has some good advisors from Belgium . Do not trash this beer as it is a keeper in this american market .. It is not really a lager .but more a strong ale. the American tastbuds ar e too much about Ipa an hops. there is much more out of there. Balance strength and deepness in the alcohol content.

1.87/5  rDev -13%

Wild Blue is a beer from Anheuser-Busch, but you will not find their name anywhere on the bottle, like they don't want people to know they make this beer. This is my first experience with a beer with artificial flavor added to it.
Appearance: Poured in a glass, this beer looks like blueberry juice. The head of the beer only lasts at most 30 seconds. The beer looks like you would expect a blueberry beer to look 3.5
Smell: the only smell you get from it is blueberry. The blueberry overcomes the hops or any other aromas in the beer. 1.5
Taste: Not knowing what to expect, I was excited to try it. Unfortunately, this beer was very syrupy, fizzy, and has a boozey finish. It is the kind of beer that is good to try but, Once you have tried it finishing the beer can be a real chore. 2
Mouthfeel: The best way to describe the mouthfeel would be syrupy.
Overall: I would not get this beer again, the artificial blueberry-ness of the beer overpowers everything else in the beer and it does not really taste like beer it is more like cough syrup. If you like blueberry and not beer you might get like it. 2

2.89/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Way too much blueberry here. Doesn't even taste like beer. Taste like they just added some blueberry syrup to a busch light. Not very good but at 8% alcohol at least it will get the job done. If you can choke it down.

3.36/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Honestly, the taste is not bad at all, and on a hot day can be very refreshing. With that said, this adult beverage is more in line as a wine cooler than a beer. I honestly believe this was created with women in mind.

1.57/5  rDev -27%

I usually don't write reviews , but some injustice against humanity are too much for me to be a silent spectator.
This is not a beer , its a bastard child of wine and anti freez.

It is as sweet as cold cough surup. I immidietly was embaressed when they got it in a glass. it looks like some octopus just took a huge dump in my glass.

3.24/5  rDev +50.7%

This tastes more like an alcohol added grape/blueberry soda. They go down extreme easy but are quite strong and hit you hard outta no where. 2-3 are ok ice cold. A 6 pack and you're doomed. It pours like a soda but almost flat and purple colored. Girls trying to get drunk fast without the beer taste or strong liquor should love it

2.04/5  rDev -5.1%

Freebie from my neighbor so I guess I won't complain.

Look - I really don't even want to know, So I'll just have it straight from the bottle.

Smell - Basically like taking a malt liquor ( Think Hurricane ) and letting a blueberry Popsicle melt into it. Everything here even without tasting comes off as generic and cheap.

Taste - Kind of like one of those Popsicles you would find in the back of your freezer as a kid. Would usually be stale and a tad freezer burnt. Imagine the taste of that, except melted into a 40 oz of your local drunk swill.

Feel - The carbonation is real in this one. Sits like syrup.

Overall - It wasn't the WORST thing I've ever had. But this one belongs to those 21-24 year old girls you see sitting around a bonfire eyeing down the biggest douche at the party waiting to end up a single mother.

2.84/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Ok Ok I get it. It is really not in the same class as your best imperial IPA, but it does not try to be. I can tell you after working outside in July in Phoenix (105 degrees today in the shade) it was quite refreshing. It does need to be cold though. I poured half into a tulip and left the other half in the freezer. Very refreshing! Can't stress enough to keep it cold. Once it warms up it is not as good. Normally, I would NEVER buy anything from Anheuser-Busch, but I saw this at the local supermarket on a hot day and bought it. Again, it is really pretty good on a hot day and if it's been chilled down to about 38 degrees. I am a hard core IPA fan, but trying to limit my exposure and try other things because of the man boob scare with the hops. (Yeah, Google it)

That being said, I could only drink one............. Now for a Firestone Walker Double IPA. I hope I won't need a bra.

If I wanted wine I'd buy wine!!! Pours flat, very fruity blueberry taste, like a wine cooler. NOT enjoyable at all. Might be ok if I'd mix it with another beer to give it some bitterness, other than that, it's useless. I don't see how this is anything close to being called a brew. Definitely won't buy again!

3.97/5  rDev +84.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I hate to say this but it was actually good. Not sure why the ratings are so bad.

Now, my secret. Pour it in a 22 oz glass and add blueberries. It's delicious!

AS others will say. It doesn't look like beer.

Apparently, it is actually beer:

I would love to have this with some sort of strawberry pie. It would be awesome. Seriously though. THere are seddert wines, why not dessert beers?

Interesting stuff...poured burgundy in color with purple fuzzy head. tastes like a blueberry soda. not unpleasant, but didn't taste like beer. Something for the wife, for sure. 50 cent single from Winter Haven ABC.

3.48/5  rDev +61.9%

If you want something sweet that tastes like a beer then look no further, OK, its no Sam Smith Chocolate stout as far as a sweet beer goes but ladies enjoy the taste and its 8% so give her two and let the party rock!

1.54/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

First of all, I didnt buy this so I can be as objective as humanly possible since not a single penny of my money will be harmed.

As I pour it into my red solo cup that I feel it may not be deserving off, it is the most unappealing beer I have ever seen. They could have used this in the imagery in A Clockwork Orange. First, there is nothing remotely blue about the appearance. It is cherry red with a red fizzy head. It reminds me of a flavored Clearly Canadian or New York Seltzer. Better yet, imagine a carbonated Robitussin. If I could apply a 0, or better yet, a negative number here I would.

It smells medicinal. Sort of like cough medicine and sugar. Cherry 7-Up and hummingbird food maybe?

The taste is by far the least offensive part. It is actually "consumable" to an extent, depending on your how high your tolerance for artificially flavored wine coolers is. Of course, it doesn't taste anything like blueberry, naturally. It is cherry or raspberryish and as sweet as the good looking mom of your friend when you were 12. To me it tastes like a Splenda factory exploded and they got rid of all of the spillage from the tanks by putting it in these bottles along with left over Capri Sun. Rememer. This is the best aspect.

With the carbonation level, I am surprised the caps don't fly off and kill some of the 95 lb college girls that obviously make up 99.9% of the people buying this. But hey, if you like shitty champagne with a splash of wildberry kool aid this is probably your thing.

Someone else said that "it tastes like sadness feels". I would say it tastes more like desperation or a concussion.

1.63/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Absolutely awful. Taste like a four Loko with more abv just nasty. Too sweet, no substance, syrupy and unpleasant. This is the type of beer you buy drink if you lost a bet.

3.32/5  rDev +54.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Surprisingly nice head. Blueberry aromas, not much adjunct smell. Goes down smooth, but it's a little tart and syrupy. Overall not the worst fruit beer out there.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch