Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
ruckus232

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a mug

Appearance: Pours a dark purple with a light purple/blue head with little retention

Smell: Smells like blueberry flavoring (not actual blueberries but the flavor similar to a pop)

Taste: This is reminiscent of the sparkling fruit juices out there that have no alcohol or even a malt liquor or pop. This is definitely not a beer taste at all. It is not like other people say that it is undrinkable but it is not what you would want if you were looking for a beer.

10-20-2009 23:44:12 | More by ruckus232
jt31914

12 oz. Bottle:

A: Dark color with blue tint; lots of carbonation: Malt liquor like.

S: Smells like fake blueberries and chemicals... uggh.

T: Tastes the same as the smell, finishing one bottle of this was a battle of the will.

M/D: Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

This is a cheap beer with artificial flavoring; one of the first beers my friend bought when he turned 21 (three months ago) and the rest of the six pack is still sitting in the fridge. Awful!

10-16-2009 17:48:21 | More by jt31914
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.48/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright purple color, with a thin pinkish head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all blueberries with some light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is sugary and tart up front with a strong blueberry flavor. Then there's an alcohol bite and a very mild hops presence that come in next. The malt character is very thin and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Not very crisp and not smooth at all, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: It's flavorful but only from the blueberry extract and not very tasty, does not go down very easily but at least it's not too filling, strong kick but it just makes a bad beer worse, this beer is just plain awful.

10-10-2009 22:41:09 | More by TheManiacalOne
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

Bought in a mixed 6 pack.

Bright reddish pour with a big pink head of foam.

The smell is nothing but fruit...blueberries wuth, maybe, a very light nose of wheat.

The taste is simply fruit juice, with some alcohol in it. No beer like qualities to it at al for me and the 8%abv? I didn't feel anything from it at all so drinking this "beer" was a complete waste of it's share of the mixed sixer...

09-27-2009 18:41:12 | More by Bitterbill
WJVII

1.78/5  rDev -18%

Given to me from drizzam (thanks, I think)...
Poured into a pint glass this brew is a dark purple with a light purple head that left a slight cap. The aroma is of blueberries... really the color and smell is what I would expect for a blueberry beer so average in my book. The taste however is like a cheap malt liquor beverage you would give to your high school girlfriend (back when you were in high school) because she wouldn't drink a tall boy with you and your friends. Very sugary taste, overly tart and fruity. I can't even get my wife to finish this.

09-24-2009 01:17:54 | More by WJVII
GRG1313

1.05/5  rDev -51.6%

Pours a dark red rasberry color - like no color I've ever seen in a beer, with a light pink but firm head. Looks like raspberry soda.

Nose is of sweet non varietal bulk red wine with a grape/blueberry "new wine" smell.

Mouthfeel is strictly grape/blueberry soda. I would guess this as a grape/blueberry soda, not a beer, in a blind tasting. No hint of alcohol, none the less 8% abv!

I would give this to a child if I didn't know better (assuming one believes the bottle label) since it is purple/pink, smell like soda, is sweet to a fault and tastes like soda-nothing else. Finishes like a grape soda...period. I would believe that this is an alcoholic beverage and a beer only if I am forced to believe the label.

Best use? Reduce it and pour it over vanilla ice cream; such would be its only purpose. Please, this is a joke....no?

09-12-2009 18:36:41 | More by GRG1313
cdkrenz

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

A - Purplish-pink head starting out at three quarters of an inch and fading fast. The body is purple and held to light a deep magenta. The brew sounds like a 7-Up when poured. If not for the interesting color it would be less than average.

S - Malt with berry ice cream aroma. Inviting, if it were a wine spritzer.

T - This is far too berry-y for me. There is no real beer flavor here. It has a strange after-taste as well.

M - Not coarse necessarily, but it actually feels uncomfortable in my mouth.

~ I believe this to be a poor attempt at Lambic style brew. If that's what they were going for... ouch. I will not be recommending this to my friends, however, I will try to finish the drink I've poured. Thanks Rob.

09-09-2009 23:57:38 | More by cdkrenz
Seru1

Alabama

3.63/5  rDev +67.3%

Appearance- So cool and unique, kind of a blue purple color with a tiny purple head of foam. Some people may hate but It's something new and fun. I think it looks cool personally. I mean it does fit for a BLUEberry beer.

Smell- Grape soda, especially when first poured.Nosing the glass yeilds a aroma of tart blueberry with some alcohol notes.

Taste- Wow this tastes like Whole Grain blueberry pancakes with syrup. I'm a fan. It's defiantly a sweet beer and the flavor sticks with you. It's a syrupy sweetness yeah, but thats not bad if it fits the taste profile.

Mouthfeel- This is wear it kinda loses me, the sweetness lends it a syrupy consistancy. Not great but not bad. This is probably wear the beer loses alot of people.

Drinkability- It's be pretty easy to drink one or two in an afternoon, after that though I'd probably switch to a cleaner crisper beer. But I'd come back for more the next day.

Overall- Lose the tude and try Wild Blue. Most people hate is solely because of the company that put it out, or they just don't like a sweet beer. Honestly I am thrilled to see a fruit beer that really tastes like sweet fruit.

This is a neat beer, it's a sweet beer. Works great for hop and bitter beer haters. If you Like SA Cherry Wheat you won't be sorry you tried this.

09-06-2009 21:00:19 | More by Seru1
craftaholic

3.2/5  rDev +47.5%

Appearance: As the name implies I was expecting maybe a... wild and blue appearance but it pours almost a cloudy wine color with a likewise purple-esq finger length head; nothing too daunting or wild but pleasing none the less.

Smell: The smell is a pungent mix of semi-artificial raspberries and blueberries,

Taste: It's like a blueberry fruit punch which made me question: is this really a lager? Very sweet and almost feels more like a wine cooler but it was a hot day and this brew just hit the spot.

Mouthfeel: Semi-dry with a alcohol kick at the end.

Drinkability: Could easily session but hey, i love blueberries.

Overall: Going against the curve here a bit but this is my straight up opinion. Would have never known this was a AB product if it wasn't for BA. Although it doesn't hit the lager title head on its definately welcomed as it is quite tasty and smooth. Looking for a lager then look elsewhere but if you want a decent sweet blueberry beer with a moderate abv then this will be your pick.

09-06-2009 15:06:35 | More by craftaholic
kanshiketsu

1.45/5  rDev -33.2%

Bought a six-pack from the supermarket with a girl who loves beer as much as I do. Took it home and poured it into pint glasses. It pours a clearish-purple with effervescent bubbles and only a little bit of white-ish head. Sparse lacing around the rim as I poked my nose into the glass for a sniff. Very strong blueberry smell followed by the aroma of alcohol (according to the label this beer is 8% ABV!?!) The "natural" flavor (read: chemical flavoring added) of blueberry overpowers the normal hints of hops or malt. Really this beer just tastes like a punchier Boone's Farm or an alcoholic lolipop. It should win over people who don't much like beer, but for a beer enthusiast there isn't much to like. I'd suggest Sweetwater Blue as an alternative to this product if you're interested in berry beer.

09-04-2009 22:07:19 | More by kanshiketsu
feelmefoam

South Carolina

1.43/5  rDev -34.1%

This is probably my least favorite beer. The beer pours a bluish tint, not a great amount of carbonation and not too much of a head. It smells strongly of blueberries, which isn't too bad, until you get to the taste. Very fake, very strong blueberry flavor that lingers a bit as well. Not enjoyable in the least. I didn't finish the beer.

09-04-2009 02:15:43 | More by feelmefoam
Yekaterina

1.35/5  rDev -37.8%

I would have to say that the most appealing aspect of this beer is it's appearance. Purple in color with a light purple head.
Overall, I'd have to say I was very disappointed... until I found out that AB brewed it... then I wasn't phased in the least.
It's like drinking a very strong (8% ABV) and very sweet wine cooler. I couldn't taste anything that resembled a lager at all.
This is definitely hangover material... I would avoid at all costs.

09-03-2009 04:24:11 | More by Yekaterina
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Thanks to Mike and Brandee for bringing this one back. Strange, ugly cartoon dog kicking a blueberry on the label. "Blue Dawg Brewing, Baldwinsville, NY", would have never known this is an AB product if not for BA.
"Premium lager with natural flavors and color from fruit juice"
A big shock for everyone when it was bright purple, (high marks for the uniqueness factor alone) looks like grape soda, thin ring of foam on the pour, then nothing.
The smell is blueberry, no question. Actually was not as artificial smelling as I expected, but still quite strong. Tastes of strong, sweet blueberries. Not much other flavor ar aroma can be picked up over the sweetness. 8% alc is hidden well. Thin to medium body, lots of carbonation keep it light and from becoming overly syrupy.
More of a beer cooler or wine cooler, than a fruit beer. Interesting to say the least.

08-30-2009 15:42:40 | More by BigBry
wangbruins

1.8/5  rDev -17.1%

A- Poured nicely with a deep purple color and a large pink head that settled rather nicely

S- The blueberry scent wasn't as strong as I expected. It actually smelled more like strawberries to me

T- It was like sugary blueberries, like blueberry pop or gum

M- Felt like I was drinking pop. It was bubbly with a little jump on the tongue and sting in the throat

D- Again, it's like blueberry pop so I could have one or two but the ABV and color is the most appealing aspects of this beer

08-28-2009 16:33:20 | More by wangbruins
scottyshades

2.38/5  rDev +9.7%

I picked this one up out of pure curiosity. Sick of looking at it basically.
A: Pours a transparent cranberry color that produces a very light shade of purple. The head is actually pretty decent and retains well, leaving some lacing along my pint glass. So far, not too bad at all.

S: Not exactly what I had hoped for, but then again, when has Busch ever come thru for me? Very fruity aroma. Artificial blueberries are dominant, raspberry is pretty abundant too. Very artificial and sweet smelling fruits.

T: Similar to the nose. More juice-like than I thought it would be. The only hops I could detect were slightly bittering, no floral. Slight alcohol kick as well. I just realized this was 8%...

MF/D: Less carbonated than others, light body, long raspberry finish coupled with some alcohol.

Not good at all, but a refreshing beer for sure.

08-27-2009 19:44:40 | More by scottyshades
thequeen711

2.9/5  rDev +33.6%

Poured red and gathered a pink head...great for us gals...Head disappeared quite quickly. Nose of bluberries, taste of blueberry champagne, ultra light mouthfeel, and the 8% ABV kicks in quickly. Just a pretty reddish beer, champagne-like aftertaste, and very sweet. Not a beer to overload on, only a true fruity beer lover can appreciate this. Worth a try, the big AB company is trying to make a stake in the micro brewing business, not up to my standards.

08-17-2009 23:52:52 | More by thequeen711
BeerFMAndy

1.53/5  rDev -29.5%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler pint.

A - Blood red and clear with almost no bubbles. A loud fizzy head actually stayed for a while before dropping to a thin layer. Pink pastel colored head.

S - Rich blueberry syrup and sugar (think the pancake syrup from IHOP) but it actually has more of a fresh raspberry aroma than blueberry I think. It's not awful for what it is. No real hints of beer though.

T - Holy hell. It wasn't half bad til the first sip. Pure, overly sugared blueberry kool-ade, and that's insulting kool-ade. A warm alcohol finish just obscures this beer more. It tastes like a cheap vodka drink.

M - Dry, sugary as hell, and sweet with an alcoholic finish and zing.

D - I would give this beer a "1" in this category but the extra half point goes to the college boys who pick up a 6 of this for a party in hopes of getting laid by a helpless woman getting blasted off his 8% fruit syrup crap. Ugh. Appearance and smell had me worried I'd have the only non-D or F review until I had my first sip. Then I realized why it was so low.

08-11-2009 02:29:26 | More by BeerFMAndy
tone77

3.95/5  rDev +82%

From a brown 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty blue/voilet color with a small head. Has a strong smell of sweet blueberries. Taste just like it smells. Sweet and fruity. Feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall I was pleasently surprised. This is a quality brew.

08-10-2009 22:50:03 | More by tone77
drizzam

1.8/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a bottle with an ugly-arse label into a clear pint glass. (What kind of amateur artwork is that anyways?)
I'm not one to judge a book by it's cover though so let's get to this review...

A - An aggressive pour yielded a one finger purple head that dissipated rather quickly leaving no lacing as I consumed the "lager". The brew itself looks like grape soda, clear purple in color with moderate carbonation. It says on the label that this is made from all natural ingredients and that blueberry sediment may be found in the bottle. I found no sign of any sediment.

S - As soon as I poured this brew into my glass, I noticed an overpowering scent of blueberries. I think you could smell this across the room! The blueberry scent also yielded some alcoholic esters. Kinda reminds me of Mad Dog 20/20.

T - The taste of this one is almost like a child's fruit juice box that was raped by an evil alcoholic. Canned blueberry filling taste with an alcohol bite on the finish. I'm a huge fan of the fruit beer genre but this just doesn't fit. Maybe I was hoping this would fit into almost a lambic category when I saw it on the shelf, but I'm disappointed with the result.

M & D - Thin, almost oily mouthfeel. This may have been a drinkable brew if they hadn't jacked the ABV up to 8%.

I'm not gonna call this a drain pour (I'm from WI so I don't believe in that) but I would not recommend this to anybody.

08-08-2009 19:34:47 | More by drizzam
flagmantho

Washington

2.73/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Kind of a purpley-red with a pinkish head. Not very traditional, but we're talking about a fruit beer here.

Smell: pretty much just blueberries.

Taste: very sweet. A little bit of malt flavor and quite a bit of blueberry, but mostly just sweet. It sort of tastes alright ... it just doesn't taste like beer. Maybe that's intentional.

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

Drinkability: being mostly inoffensively flavored, it has a pretty reasonable drinkability.

Saw this at the store and it looked interesting. It was clearly one of the "mock micros" that seem to be popular among the BMC marketing groups, but I thought it might be worth a try. Frankly, I should have been well-warned by a beer that has its 8% ABV so prominently placed on the label. I'm sure this is popular among the college crowd.

08-02-2009 19:04:57 | More by flagmantho
scaliasux

1.85/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance - Reddish purple. A little hazy. Short reddish tinted head, quickly dissipates. Color doesn't seem quite right for blueberry.

Smell - Faint almost non-distinct blueberry. Nothing really indicating this is beer-based.

Taste - Very strong, sweet artificial blueberry flavor. Nothing apparent from the beer - more like an alcho-pop. Not real impressive, but not appalling.

Mouthfeel - Light and pretty crisp. Appropriate for style.

Drinkability - Cloying and fake tasting. It might be okay for your non-beer drinking girlfriend though.

07-30-2009 02:58:27 | More by scaliasux
zeff80

Missouri

1.2/5  rDev -44.7%

I had low expectations for this one and (amazingly) it still came up short! Purplish color with a pinkish head. It smelled like a blueberry muffin which isn't a bad thing but there were no beer-like aromas at all. It tasted like blueberries and water. Again, lacking beer-like qualities. Mouthfeel was watery and thin. This is not drinkable. I could not finish it. My wife loves blueberries and she didn't like it either.

07-27-2009 01:44:49 | More by zeff80
buschbeer

1.95/5  rDev -10.1%

The first thing that I noticed was that this was a lager and not an ale. Sounds like a refreshing summer beer. I poured into a pint glass and was surprised by the purple color. It looks like a grape pop (that's what I call soda). It smells syrupy sweet. I've had blueberry ales, but this seems too artificial. I kind of get a hint of beer smell in there. It tastes sweet at first, and then finishes tart. It is way too artificially sweet. I like fruit beers that have a hint of fruit, not making it the focal point. I can't see drinking more than one of these. I should follow this up with a Stone Ruination. That would be a real shock to the taste buds, going from sweet to bitter.

07-26-2009 14:51:18 | More by buschbeer
civilizedpsycho

1.78/5  rDev -18%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Dark purple color with a light purple head. I've tried fruit beers before and some aren't too bad, so this looked somewhat appealing.

Smell: Strong, sweet blueberry smell. A little overpowering.

Taste: It tastes a lot like a blueberry soda. At first I didn't mind it, but as the drink wore on, it just got too sweet for me.

Mouthfeel: Thin, feels like a soda.

Drinkability: Bad. The first few sips weren't awful; in fact, I kind of liked it. However, by the time I neared the end of the bottle, it just became a chore to finish. It's too sweet, and the blueberry became too overpowering. This is definitely not something I will be getting again.

07-24-2009 01:49:44 | More by civilizedpsycho
webbcreative

Oklahoma

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

First off, what is wrong with me, that I keep falling for this trick of fruit beers. It always sounds like a good idea but I always get let down ( excet the Wheach). Secondly, what is wrong these brewers that think a fake fruit, heavy syrupy flavor is what anyone wants to drink. Best thing about this beer was that I got a bottle I can use for homebrewing. Thus beer pours a raspberry color with the same color head. Smell is of tart fruit. Taste is the same but with the added bonus of a thick sickly sweet syrupy fruit flavor. Tough to get tough to get through this one, took about 30-40 min. Not what I was hoping for on a hot summer day in Oklahoma. Oh well you live you learn, well at least some people do...I'm sure i'll be back.

07-19-2009 22:01:37 | More by webbcreative