Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
trafordboy

1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

A: Ruby red and purple body. Very pink, almost dark pink, head. Holds well and leaves some nice lace.
S: The nose is delicately fruity. Like a small bowl of fresh crushed berries, more raspberry than blueberry.
T: The flavor is all juice, bright and tart. Like "Juicy-Juice"; and again, more raspberry than blueberry. No signs of malt or hops except for hints in the lingering, mostly berry-ish finish. Steady underlying bitterness. Some alcohol becomes apparent halfway through. One-sided except for the underlying alcohol.
M: Medium bodied. Dextrinous edge. Delicately bristling carbonation.
D: Well, I'm not even sure you can call this beer. Not really. It's like a fruity malternative on steroids... the beer equivalent of Boone's Farm. Drinkable? Well, yes, but why not just add some grain alcohol to fruit juice?

12-23-2008 03:31:26 | More by trafordboy
gpogo

2.83/5  rDev +31%

A- Poured similar to a grape soda color. Clear reddish purple with a small grape juice looking reddish purple head that quickly dissipates.

A- Blueberries.

T- Blueberries dominate the taste. It's not a bad flavor, just a bit overpowering. Though paring a fruit flavor with a Light American Pilsner it should be expected.

M- Light body medium-light carbonation.

D- I found it to be much too sweet for a beer. It was almost soda-like.

12-23-2008 01:22:59 | More by gpogo
yesyouam

3.03/5  rDev +40.3%

Wild Blue is a clear, very sparkling, magenta beer with a small, dense amethyst head. The aroma is sweet with notes of grape peel, cider, blueberry and cork. It has a medium body, papery, syrupy and a little flat. It's reasonably smooth, but the finish is rumbly. It tastes cidery and very sweet. There are notes of blueberry, concord grape and cranberry. It's pretty rough and grumbly under the sweetness. My brother told me it's something for perverts to give to young girls on the beach. I'd take this over a Bud any time.
(rated Jul 15, 2008)

12-20-2008 07:03:25 | More by yesyouam
Jablonski

Louisiana

1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Haha, like others have said, I too did not know this was from Anheuser-Busch. Picked up a bottle the other day and poured it into a pint glass.

A: color is an opaque raw umber/mahogany mix; small raspberry colored head with no minimal lacing

S: blueberries--nothing else

T: tastes like Berry flavored Gatorade with Rum added to it

M: over carbonated and way to thick (w/ syrup)

D: I was tempted to pour it down the drain, do not want again

12-19-2008 04:18:19 | More by Jablonski
mbenthall

South Carolina

1.83/5  rDev -15.3%

Was curious to try this as I had never had any offerings from Blue Dawg Brewing and I am a fan of Sweetwater Blue. Did not realize this was and AB product untill now that I'm entering my review on here.

Appearance: Pours redish pink with little to no head that fades quickly.

Smell: Stong fruity blueberry and not much else I was concerned that this would be an indication of the overpowering taste.

Taste: Well it's definately blueberry and lots of it. Very sweet (too sweet for me) like candy syurp or sugar drink. Little indication of it being a beer at all except for Lager in the name. With and 8%abv there is little if any taste of warm alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Think sugary syurp, this creates the body and finishes sticky sweet like a kids juice drink.

Drinkability: I finished 3/4 of this bottle and just couldn't do the rest. I also let my wife (a all but non beer drinker) taste to see if maybe a different drinker might enjoy, she did not. This is too sweet for me and little to nothing that makes you feel like you are drinking a beer. I would say go to Sweetwater blue for more of a blueberry beer and less of a fruit sugar drink.

12-15-2008 19:23:58 | More by mbenthall
grub

Ontario (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

i got this one from bort11 in the good/bad/ugly bif. thanks tim! also happy to have shared this one with Viggo as his 1500th review. woohoo!

12oz bottle. sampled dec 14/08.

right away i'm confused. it's a blueberry beer, yet pours crystal clear deep red with a bright pink head. the head drops slowly and leaves a few spots of lace.

aroma is odd, but not entirely bad. artificial fruit flavouring, most resembling juice berry gummies. kind of sweet and a mix of raspberry, strawberry, and blueberry. hint of alcohol. bit of cough syrup. there's some lingering sweat sock and nutsack in the background too...

the taste is a whole new level. while the aroma wasn't entirely offensive, the taste pretty much is. sticky sweet artificial fruit flavouring with a bit of alcohol and sweat sock thrown in. you swallow and it keeps kicking you once it's gone. cough syrup. juice berries again. the alcohol is more warming than it should be. as i attempt to drink more, it morphs into bad memories of barbarian cooler and the first time i got drunk - and horribly sick. as soon as i make this connection i can instantly feel my stomach starting to turn and it gets quite hard to go back for more.

mouthfeel is ok. medium-high carbonation level. light body.

drinkability is not great. sticky sweet juice berries with several unpleasant dimensions thrown in. i think this one was half decent when opened, but grew more offensive the more i tried to drink it.

12-15-2008 01:46:48 | More by grub
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

1.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Big thanks to grub for sharing this Good, Bad and Ugly BIF gem. What a way to ring in review #1500!

Pours a clear dark red, cranberry juice colour, thick light pink head forms, lots of lace, good retention, forms a solid layer. Smell is fucked, like feet and sweaty balls mixed with some fruit juice. My hockey bag with fruit febreeze, kind of gross, blueberry juice, but kind of gets worse with every smell. Taste is like salty fruit juice, mixture of balls, cold medicine, alcohol, homeless people, and sugar. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, syrupy, with medium carbonation. Wow, this is special stuff. Thanks Russ!

12-15-2008 01:36:20 | More by Viggo
Schwarz04

2.38/5  rDev +10.2%

Can you say wine cooler on steroids? Seriously this beer is very different from anything else I've ever tasted. Very fruity, a dominent taste of blueberries and other tart fruity flavors. Pours a deep reddish purple. Has a tart after taste, not very pleasent at all. At 8% Abv its ease of consumption is suprisigly easy. If you're looking for something crazy and different give it a try. Not a beer in the traditional sense by any means.

12-12-2008 01:07:52 | More by Schwarz04
bmwats

Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Bluish purple with a dark amber base. Almost like some blue and purple were painted onto an amber canvas. Medium carbonation which sticks to the side of the glass at first. Not much of a head. Dissipates quickly.

S: Smells like, well, blueberry; with a slight malty-ness, or yeasty-ness. . . hard to say as the blueberry really is overpowering.

T: A bit of a bitter dull malty base, and somehow sweet at the same time, with strong blueberry flavor.

M: Initial taste is a bit shocking. Aftertaste is better than the initial taste. Sticks to the inside of the mouth, and lingers. Overwhelms the tastebuds, a bit.

D: Drinkable, but the blueberry is too overpowering. Also, the strong alcohol taste really puts this brew out of balance.

This is not that bad if you take it for what it is, a novelty item. If you're just looking to drink a good beer, this is not necessarily where to look. Again, if you can get past the fact that it's a novelty, change of pace sort of thing; and not a serious attempt at making a high quality lager. . . it's a strangely refreshing, serviceable quaff. I would, however, refrain from more than one at a time.

12-08-2008 23:42:30 | More by bmwats
abriggs1

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev +57.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

I knew this beer would get horrible reviews on the account that it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You beer snobs are so predictable. However, I love blueberries and this is very intensely flavored with them. This is what you'd get if you combined 3/4 beer with 1/4 blueberry schnapps. It hardly beer, but it is different and satisfies my blueberry craving quite nicely. I doubt I could stomach more than 2 or 3 of these at a time. I'm not even done with the first one and my brain is already feeling slightly compromised.

12-07-2008 21:34:24 | More by abriggs1
HardTarget

2.93/5  rDev +35.6%

I got this for SWMBO. She asked for it in a "pretty glass" which made me break out the nice short champagne flutes. It's impressive what the right glassware does.

A) Nice deep blue hue that blends and fades nicely at the edges. Holds a purple head that clings to the sides leaving full curtains of thick sticky lace.

S) Surprisingly, it smells like blueberries. Of course it's overly sweet and has a cough syrup edge, but in general, it does what it says on the tin: blueberries.

T) This is where we go off the tracks. Super Sweettart grape flavor that is candy coated goo. The finish is lasting and actually much nicer than the full taste.

M) Bubbly, thin, puckering dryness wraps it up.

D) Wifey liked it. I'm worried about the chemicals from all the "natural flavoring" I just ingested, but the beer itself isn't too bad.

12-01-2008 05:33:53 | More by HardTarget
mynie

Indiana

1.63/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours Windex blue with a moderate, but quickly dying, skyblue head. Looks like soda pop. Nothing beery whatsoever.

Smells like soda pop and solvent alcohol. Doesn't smell like blueberries, really, so much as it smells like synthetic blueberries, like blueberry flavored hard candy. (Note: as it got warmer, the more realistic blueberry scent flavor increased.)

Tastes sharply sweet, big nodes of hard candy and an offputting zing of astringent alcohol. No hops, no malt, no nothing. Just candy and alcohol.

I'd rank this much closer to an alcopop than a beer. Actually, as disgusting as Hard Lemonades are I'd probably take one over this. And as it comes with a premium beer pricetag, this is one you will be best off avoiding.

11-24-2008 21:30:13 | More by mynie
ChillMike

Alabama

1.08/5  rDev -50%

I picked up a six pack of this one evening as my local Bevmo had this under the "Craft Brew" section, next to Sea Dog.

Cracked open a bottle and the smell that came out was beyond offensive, it was like someone had let a child's juice ferment. Thinking that was the worst of it I poured the beer in a pint glass and it was just an odd looking brew with an almost syrup look to it, including the head.

Taking a drink of this was not a pleasant experience either, just way too sweet and almost more like a syrupy lambic mixed with a wine cooler, just not good.

Needless to say I ended up just throwing away the other 5. I should also make a note here that I did not notice it was an A.B. product until after I had finished it, so consider that a blind taste test from a guy who usually doesn't enjoy their stuff.

11-23-2008 10:23:00 | More by ChillMike
LumpyGuitar

2.4/5  rDev +11.1%

This was given to me by a friend. I love blueberry and figured from initial inspection (AB Aside) that it was worth a try.

Poured a very pretty puple-blue with a light frothy blueberry-pink head. Pretty.

Taste is meh. Super sweet sugary malt with a dominating fake blueberry flavor. Seems this should be a "malt beverage" as opposed to a beer. Alcohol comes across pretty strong.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, very sticky and coating, carbonation is mild to nonexistant.

Drinkability is blah. This had me at appearances but failed the rest of the gamut. First few sips were easy, the rest had no problem going down the drain.

11-20-2008 04:23:13 | More by LumpyGuitar
aubuc1

1.63/5  rDev -24.5%

12 oz bottle poured in to a tulip glass.

Pours a reddish purple with a pink head.

Smell is blueberry syrupy. Kind of sour smelling.

Taste is terrible. Barf flavored barf. I think there was blueberry, then just nastiness.

I can't really tell the mouthfeel because my body is literally quivering from the awful taste.

Least drinkable beer I have had despite a decent smell. My first drainpour. I have been weirdly excited about my first drainpour. YESSSS!

11-18-2008 01:39:22 | More by aubuc1
lackenhauser

2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a very reddish sort of color with a very slight pink head. I was thinking it would be more lager colored with a blue tinge. Looks more like a pale grape soda then a blueberry beer. Not bad looking just wasnt what was expected. Heavy fruit aroma and a very metallic smell to it. Again more grape then anything else. A LOT of fruit flavor but it doesnt define itself as being blueberry. Overly sweet tasting. No trace of being a beer at all. Syrupy sweet mouthfeel-I can still lick my lips and get sweetness 5 minutes after a sip. I would call this a malt beverage before I put the label "beer" on it. I tend to love AB beers-thats just me. This is nowhere near a beer. I bet INBEV gives this the axe once the takeover is in place. Not terrible-I bet someone likes the stuff, just not me.

11-16-2008 19:48:10 | More by lackenhauser
MTNboy

Germany

2.53/5  rDev +17.1%

I have a friend that loved this stuff so much he called me and told me I had to try it. I some in the fridge from a mix-a-six. So I tried it right away. I thought it was alright but not as great as he did. It has a purple like body with a slightly red hue. The head and lace were kind of a purple/fuchsia color but both were thin. The mouthfeel was watery. It smelled like blueberries and alcohol. Sort of like the cheap schnapps that you buy in a European train station. The taste is about the same. It just seems artificial. However I do due the oddness of this beer and the alcohol content it is a novelty.

11-09-2008 17:07:08 | More by MTNboy
VaTechHopHead

2.58/5  rDev +19.4%

I have to admit I was not expecting this when I first tried it. I have had several blueberry-infused beers in my day but none this prominent. It pours deep blue-ish/purple just like blueberry juice with a light purple head, and the aroma of blueberry overwhelms your olfactory senses. On first taste I thought I had bought a soda, not a beer due to the overwhelming flavor of fruit and lack of beer. I don't know what all ingredients were used to make this but it tastes as if a couple gallons of blueberry juice were dumped into a batch of brew. On the plus side it is 8% alcohol so you won't regret the decision of buying it for very long!!

11-07-2008 04:58:58 | More by VaTechHopHead
jujubeast6000

2.85/5  rDev +31.9%

Reviewed 7/10/2008 (bottle):

Pours a wine colored purple-red color body with a light purplish head, but smallish and diminishing. Very sugary, sweet aroma, some blueberry. Soda-ish aroma, syrupy. A Mellow sweet taste, like blueberry soda. Hides the alcohol. Fizzy. Okay.

11-05-2008 05:00:18 | More by jujubeast6000
jettjon

2.1/5  rDev -2.8%

From a 12 oz bottle marked with cryptic and unintelligible markings into my cervoise, it's looking blue indeed wit a color and scent of purple grape juice. Fizzy head of white, tight bubbles rapidly collapses to a thin collar and thin cap. Nose of grape juice and grape Jolly Ranchers. Maybe a hint of malt in the background but too faint to tell. Basically the nose is very faintly bready artificial grape scented. In the mouth it's not much better with a mild but unmistakable grape-drink flavor that's not too sweet but lacks any complexity whatever. Finishes on the same grape-flavored malt liquor note. Mouth is thin and lacks crispness from carbonation. Drinkability is OK; this is definitely in the realm of chick brews, though I doubt any serious beer aficionado would come back for more.

Overall: A big letdown. I saw the cool bottle and 8% ABV, and noticed the brewery listed as "Blue Dawg Brewing." Turns out that this is just another AB craft poseur, coming across more like one of their "malt beverages" such as Sparks, ad nauseam rather than any kind of "premium lager with natural flavors." Sorry Bud; it's another dud.

10-29-2008 22:52:33 | More by jettjon
TMinton22

Appearance - pinkish purple with thin head little lacing

Smell - Strong blueberry smell very good

Taste - Don't know if I would categorize this as a beer. Tasted like a zima with blueberry syrup in it. Tasted better the warmer it got. Wasn't in a hurry to take another drink but wanted to finish the bottle to give it a fair chance.

Probably wouldn't buy again but if someone had one to give I might be able to stomach one.

10-24-2008 12:22:35 | More by TMinton22
RickS95

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +87.5%

I liked this beer. I've been trying a lot of fruity beers, and I'll put this one right up there.

Pours with little head and no lacing. Looks like red wine. Obvious smell of berries in the nose.

Has a carbonated fruit juice feel in the mouth, with a bit of berry in the finish and a touch of bite in the aftertaste to let you know it means business with its 8.0% alchohol content.

Yeah, it's from Anheuser-Busch, but I can't wait to have another.

10-20-2008 19:39:24 | More by RickS95
idResponse

2.6/5  rDev +20.4%

this is the best beer you can possibly buy to get your female companion liquored up quick and in the sack! awesome girly drink! i bet chicks dig it!

got a six pack on a whim because it said 8% and was way different. didn't realize it was AB distributing it until I got to the website here... :( not worth the price then...

As usual, i pour two 12oz bottles into a 24oz cognac glass, because that's what i have to drink from... (it's -awesome- for bombers, holds the whole thing plus head!)

it looks like grape soda! it FIZZES LIKE GRAPE SODA! well i guess it's a little more red-purple than straight grape purple but the head was purple!

it smells as advertised. BLUEBERRIES!

it tastes like blueberry soda... and like the bros say, it tastes like a malt liquor with soda syrup added. that's not to say this is bad, it certainly tastes a whole lot better than most of the other fruit beers i've tried. puts st. ides to shame!

mouthfeel is that of a soda. really. a really sweet sticky soda.

it's drinkable i suppose. refreshing enough, not nasty, easy to slug back, and you don't reallly notice the alcohol, not realllly... it's masked enough for you not to care.

so... got a girl who don't like beer and you wanna take her home and stick it in her ear, get a six of wild blue and make her suck down one or two, she'll be feeling mighty fine and then you'll have her behind!

10-20-2008 06:47:02 | More by idResponse
jsbrendle

1.55/5  rDev -28.2%

when something new appears on the shelf, something that looks mildly interesting... generally I'll give it a try. I had been a big fan of Fancy Pants' blueberry, I felt strangely attracted to this bottle. But this time I did rather regret the decision. that this is an AB product isn't clear from the label, but it is clear from the headache that follows (a problem that I have with most AB product, a piercing headache through the temples after about a half bottle, I must be sensitive to some fermentation by product, or some such thing... only the AB Select didn't do it to me). But I digress...

Let's cut to the chase. Avoid this. If you like beer, you won't like this.

Color, Aroma, Flavor? Well, think "Nantucket Nectar" juice with a splash of soda water to give a light tingle of carbonation. No head to speak of. The bar was too dark to really get a good feel for its color, but it sure looked "blueberry juice"-like to me. No lingering flavor to follow the sweet blueberry juice start, no malt finish or dash of hops to bite back, I really couldn't tell that this was a "beer" at all. At 8% this thing could be a very dangerous thing because you don't really notice the alcohol ... I'd class it along with "Wine Coolers" just with barley as the alcohol source.

10-10-2008 12:05:58 | More by jsbrendle
nrpellegrini

3.75/5  rDev +73.6%

Wow, what is this? Juice or beer?

Its almost like a lambic but too syrupy..
Anyway, it poured a purple/ blue color with no head. Smelled of sweet concentrated fruit. Tasted the same, like a mouthful of blueberry pie filling. It was very sweet but not too much to handle. I could have gone for another and the 8% is a plus, considering you can't taste any of it.

10-04-2008 05:06:59 | More by nrpellegrini