Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clean purple-ish/ amber color with a small pale pink-ish head. In the aroma, fruity blueberry and a small dry malt. In the taste, sweet, somewhat like blueberry syrup, but with lager like notes.A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry blueberry syrup aftertaste. Kind of like a ounce of blueberry syrup and 10 ounces of a lager poured on top.

1.31/5  rDev -40.7%

I bought one bottle thinking that this might be the fruit beer to have gotten the balance right. The beer consultant said it was one of the higher selling blueberry beers (He never said it was good and had never had it before.). After suffering through half the bottle, I gave up, poured it down the sink, and washed my mouth with a Tripel Karmeliet. I sincerely think this is the only beer that is offensive to all five senses.

Appearance: A light syrupy purple that eventually turned into a grape soda kind of purple. I poured this in the dark while watching Inception, so I couldn't tell what color it was when I poured into my glass. When I poured it down the sink, I could see hints of red. Similar to a red wine, which is a problem when you're drinking a beer. Believe it or not, this is the highlight of the beer. Frankly, I've seen better appearances on other fruit beers such as the Hell or Watermelon and the Blueberry point.

Smell: You know the smell of a freshly used bathroom? You know, the heavy presence of a foul odor that makes you want to gag. That is what it reminded of. The overtly, heavy aroma of an artificial sweet that no fruit beer should ever attain or human ever smell or at least the sort of sweet that should tingle your spidey senses that something is wrong. Because I need substance, my problem was with the smell being too heavy and with too much presence that it overran my poor nose.

Taste: Sweeet. Syrupy. Blueberry syrupy. Heavily reminiscent of the smell. I'm not a fan of really sweet but I can tell and respect it when it is done correctly in a Barley Wine. It was not done correctly for this beer. The sweet wasn't even so bad it's good kind of way like the Leinenkugel Berry Weiss (the Manos Hands of Fate beer).

Mouthfeel: Heavy. Syrupy.

Drinkability: No. Not unless you feel pulling a gag on someone. Overall, syrupy. The main factor in every category is syrup. While I love huge doses on my pancakes, I do not like them in my beer.
I take back about the beer being offensive to all five senses. It was very pleasing to hear the beer pouring down the drain.

Since I love challenges, I am going to try to say something positive about this beer. I like that ABusch is trying new things to capture the craft market and that this beer did not suffer from the usual trap (It suffered from other things.) of watery mouthfeel. I think the idea of a sweet Blueberry beer isn't too bad but the execution needs to be better.

2.11/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours purple with a finger of foam that quickly dissipates. The aroma of blueberry breakfast syrup is highly literal; there's not really anything smell-wise to indicate this is a beer. The flavors are similarly too literal: it's as if blueberry pancakes and blueberry syrup were put through a blender. It's interesting for the first couple of sips but is ultimately just a palate-wearying syrup-bomb.

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Bottle into pint glass
A - "hmmm" kool-aid?
S - "ummm" artificial blueberry
T - "oh" bad juice or kiddie drink mix that happens to contain alcohol
M - "ack"
D - "no more"
This beverage IS artifical flavoring, and the taste could not be worse & drinkability is very poor. IMO only comparable to a bad wine cooler.

1.59/5  rDev -28.1%

This may be the lowest rating I've ever given a beer. Oh wait, did I say beer, because this sir, is no beer. It tastes more like a cheap blueberry flavored sparkling cider/wine.

It pours without much carbonation, even though it tastes like it has plenty (like a soda). And it's purple! Purple! I regretted buying the 6 pack after just pouring it.

The only positive I can find with this thing is the high alcohol percentage. But I highly suggest, stay away from this!

1.38/5  rDev -37.6%

How I got suckered into this I'll never know... gah. Twist-off bottle poured into pilsner glass. One of my best friends led me astray with this concoction.

Appearance: Looks like grape soda, honestly. Pours a purplish color with hints of burgundy. A thin pink cap of foam tops the beer but vanishes almost immediately. Only hints and spots of sip rings line the glass.

Smell: Oh dear. Blueberry is certainly there, but it sure doesn't smell "natural" at all. It has that sickly sweet candy blueberry scent going on, along with sugary syrup and a big whiff of solvent alcohol. Malt liquor with artificial blueberries thrown in there, basically. This does not bode well.

Taste: Ugh. Does this even count as beer, other than the alcohol taste? Tart, artificial berry flavors hit the tongue and soon turn sour as the beer goes down. Nothing else other than blueberries - artificial flavoring, at that. And puckering, drying alcohol in the finish. This is more along the lines of a malt liquor for chicks. How did I get suckered into trying this, again? Not even remotely pleasing or fun to drink. Sure, it's okay if you don't want to drink REAL beer and need something artificially pleasing to the tongue; but otherwise, thumbs way down.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy, seltzer-like soda is what sums it up. The alcohol negatively affects how this beer finishes (if the taste wasn't bad enough). If you threw moonshine into grape soda, that about sums up the mouthfeel. Alcohol warming becomes more noticeable as the beer warms, and this drink certainly does NOT go down easy.

Drinkability: Never again. No sir. Not fun, pleasing, or even remotely decent. I will avoid this at all costs. Now I know why malt liquor gets such a bad rep.

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%

I got suckered into this by a 'beer expert' at Applybee's. I know, mistake to hope for good beer there.

Back to the 'beer'. It is alcoholic, sweet fruit juice. Actually, just the kind of crap I expect from stealth marketing from Inbev A-B.

Don't bother. Stay away.

2.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is Juice. Fermented Juice. What do they call that stuff? Oh yeah... Wine. I'm not sure if there is any malted barley of any sort involved here. That said, I do think it tastes 'OK' and managed to drink all six of them. If you're looking for a syrupy-sweet, blueberry-flavoured wine-cooler/spritzer type beverage for your non-beer drinking friends, this would be a good choice (Oh, also, 8% abv!) I feel bad about reviewing this so poorly, as I always like when boundaries have been pushed, but this goes a bit too far beyond my preconceptions of what a 'beer' should be for me to really respect it.

1.54/5  rDev -30.3%

This is what happens when I dont look into something before purchasing. Saw a 6 pack of this and thought to myself "hey, its been a while since I had a blueberry beer". Yeah, immediate regret.

A - Poured into a pint glass a vibrant plum/fruit punch red. Half a finger of fizzy head immediately disappeares. I've seen the head on a glass of soda last longer.

S - A little bit of blueberry skins on the nose, but mostly coyingly sweet sugar aromas.

T - Sticky and sweet fake tasting blueberry. Only reason this isnt a 1 is because there was blueberry in some form on the taste, even if it was on par with maple syrup.

M - Fizzy and sticky sweet. Like sugar saturated seltzer water.

D - Well, atleast you cant taste the 8%. That being said, this beer is horrible, just horrible. This is almost an abomanation of a beer. Will never drink this again.

1.4/5  rDev -36.7%

What can be said about this that has not been said before?

This is nasty stuff. Tastes like cheapo malt liquor with that blueberry syrup you used to use as a kid from the tables of I-Hop. Fruit beer may not be my favorite style but I can respect a good effort. I think my 14 year-old daughter and her friends could come up with a better beverage if I gave them some club soda, blueberry pancake syrup, bakers yeast and bleached flour. Well....at last it would not be MUCH worse.

My advice to AB...forget this stuff and the tomato-clam beer and ramp up your flagship brew. Your time and money would be better spent and may pay much bigger dividends. Why waste your time on these swill drinks when a semi-decent, average tasting beer would gain you the respect and likely some of the dollars of those who now run to craft brewers for something good to drink? My advice...FWIW.

Wild Blue is not only an absolutely vile beer; it may be one of the most disgusting beverages to ever cross my lips. First of all, I'm dubious about its claim of being a "beer;" from first sip, all this beer comes across as is a good amount of cheap blueberry cocktail juice (think the 99 cent per half gallon high fructose corn syrup garbage they sell at dollar stores/serve at elementary school parties, and you're there) with a bit of cheap malt liquor (or diluted vodka) added. No malt or hop flavors or scents are detectable, only a cloying, overpowering amount of sugar and artificial berry to hide the 8% ABV, presumably from drinkers who would be intimidated/awed by the idea of an 8% beer. To address its appearance, it's quite an unnatural blue/purple... not something I'd like to see in any food/drink I'm having, let alone my beer. It's quite an effort to not give this beer straight 1s; I will give Wild Blue the benefit of the doubt and leave it with a 1.5 in drinkability... in hopes(?) that there is a worse beer out there for me to try... somewhere, someday.

Updated June 2012; since drinkability is no longer a rating category, I feel obligated to bump this one down to straight 1's (from a 1.5 in drinkability/overall). While I have had a marginally worse beer, I can't in good conscience give this beverage anything more than a 1/5 overall.

1.03/5  rDev -53.4%

This beer reminded me of Hi-C fruit punch with a slight kick of alcohol. Not what I would consider a beer at all. It's very sweet and hard to finish. It has a sweet syrupy taste to it that's just plain terrible. If you're thirsty for something this sweet drink a wine cooler.

1.82/5  rDev -17.6%

The "beer" pours a dark cheap wine color and smells like one too. Has about the same amount of head as wild irish rose. Tastes like a mix between cheap wine and a juice box. It doesn't have an overwhelming alcohol taste as you would expect for 8 percent. It has a bitter after taste almost like eating pancakes with the blueberry syrup.

1.13/5  rDev -48.9%

Ever since turning 21 I've been on a weekley task to try a different beer everytime I visit the local grocery store. Last time I was at the grocery store this beer caught my eye. Not having an idea what I was getting myself into I bought what looked like an interesting six pack for 8 bucks.
When pouring this "beer it really doesn't resemble beer, it looks like grape soda/ wine. The head on the beer is very poor and goes away quickly, it doesn't even look like a beer head more like one from a soda.
This beer smells like cheap wine, as far as smell goes thats it.
If you like wine or cheap malt liquor like Four Lokos than this beer is for you. It taste awful but has an 8% alcohol content so if you are just in it for the ALC then its drinkable. I would not reccomend this beer to anyone. Quite frankly its just another upsetting and poorly made product from Anheuser Busch. If I had known it was made by the Walmart of beer brewers (Anheuser Busch) I would not have even given it my time. But you can't always get an amazing beer and it was worth the try.
Overall an awful beer, I hate bashing a beer but I just had to write the review becaue I was very dissapointed in this .

1.43/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a plum color. Big ruby highlights with this beer when held to the light. One finger light purple head shows medium retention and ends up collaring the beer. Light ringy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Artifical blueberry galore. Some light alcohol and well more blueberry artificalness lurking. Nothing else can be smelled at all. It's quite off putting to say the least. Ok even two feet away from my glass I can still smell blueberry.

T- Really off puttingly sweet. Artifical blueberries come out first and come out strong. There is some light alcohol toward the middle but this is quickly overcomed by the blueberry flavor. Ending is more alcohol based with some blueberry coming out banging at the end.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is ok for the style. Blueberry is all over the palate. Aftertaste is more blueberry with light alcohol presence. Flavors are blueberry forward and not balanced at all. Off flavor is the main flavor which is the artifical blueberry. Medium alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This stuff is way too sweet for me. I'm not a fan of this beer at all. AB makes some pretty gross flavored beers and this one is right up there with them. It reminds me of bum wine more than anything else.

3.05/5  rDev +38%

Before I knew Wild Blue was made by Anheuser-Busch, I took lots of notes on it, so these are pretty much as unbiased as they can get. I was shocked to see it pour into my tumbler flashing a cranberry juice/burgundy red body with blueberry purple shadows and ruby red raspberry highlights. This was the first point where I contemplated whether or not I should pick another beer to review, but I soldiered on for the sake of saying I had tasted it. There was a slight cloudiness from the blueberry sediment (apparently they used real blueberries), otherwise it was mostly clear. A pale creamy rose-stained blushing head formed and fell very quickly with small popping soda bubbles, and it managed to reach just about 2-fingers thick before it disappeared. It left minimal tracks of lace that closely followed the liquid down the glass, but refused to stick around for long.

The nose was a ridiculously strong concoction of blueberries and sweetened cranberry juice. I could smell it the second I opened the bottle and even standing a few feet away, it was obvious what made up this fruit beer. Up close, there was a slight wine-characteristic to it, with light traces of tart hops in the background and hints of barley malt that just barely emerged as it warmed to room temperature. It was rather dry in my nose despite all of the fruitiness and it was really quite difficult to discern any other smells over the powerful blueberry. It is a blueberry beer though, so I guess it's nice that they stuck to their advertising. For once.

The taste was pretty much exactly what I expected, besides the suggestion that regardless of whether or not the blueberry flavor was slightly syrupy, it held a more "fresh blueberry" tartness than a "from concentrate" thickness. There was a definite lack of high fructose corn syrup, which I liked - though I doubt I'll ever really know if they use real blueberries like they say they do. Nestled up close to the blueberries were some cranberries and raspberries as well, but they tasted like they'd been cooked down to the bare minimum of flavors. There may have also been a few dark grapes and a very faint maltiness that lingered way underneath, but my tongue was so over-burdened with blueberries that it was hard to find anything else, much like the nose. So, obviously with all of that fruit, it was very sweet and it also managed to keep the carbonation going for most of the beer, despite the bubbles being like tiny champagne bubbles - which made the whole drink reminiscent of a fruit cider. Also, it had a very thin mouthfeel and a rather dry, crisp ending even with all of the big juicy fruit flavors, and tasted something like a slightly carbonated juice beverage that was on its way to going flat. It carried no aftertaste and in the end, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. A fruit beer like this just isn't my style, it's too sweet with not enough sour, and I'm beginning to think that even though I tried not to be a snob about it being a product from Anheuser-Busch, the knowledge (unfortunately) definitely tainted my experience.

2.19/5  rDev -0.9%

Don't really have too much to say about this beer except that it doesn't tickle my fancy. I didn't even feel like I was drinking beer. Normally, I love blueberry flavor but I felt like I was drinking a sparkling blueberry wine. Not a huge fan. Might just not be for my palate.

1.19/5  rDev -46.2%

I've been trying alot of fruit flavored beers and this one looked cool. Nice packaging cool label and an 8% ABV...all in all seemed cool.

poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pilsner glass. It was a beautiful dark purple/reddish color...a two finger thick head that was a wonderful light purple! Reminded me of the light purple clouds I've seen in the sky during some beautiful sunsets in the Rocky Mountains.

Tatse...God awful! Too sweet, almost like a grape soda served in a glass that someone had a beer in and didn't rinse it out. Way too sweet & syrup like.

Drinkability is good if you like beer that tatses like soda.

maybe a wine drinker might like this...maybe you may like this. I didn't. I did finish the 6 pack...hell, I paid for it-not gonna waste it! At least the 8% ABV made me not care about the taste after a few! Cheers!

1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

I've had a number of blueberry beers and when browsing through a chain grocery store's beer section, this caught my eye as being different from the bland norm.

8% made me think this could be something different, but I am remiss for relying on that.

The beer tastes horrible, very sweet, like they just poured grape juice and sugar into what possibly tastes like it used to be beer.

Do not buy, don't even try. Not worth it.

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%

I have no one to blame but myself for buying a six-pack of something I have not sampled before. Saw it last week, label caught my eye. Came across it again when buying some extra beer for the holidays. I generally like blueberry-flavored beer. Considered Wild Blue and Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Bad choice.

Was not like beer at all, more like red wine or grape juice, in color, consistency and taste. Had less than half the bottle. Had guests try it, no one liked it. Five bottles left, too late for stocking stuffers.

4.61/5  rDev +108.6%

First off this is a kind of beer that is like a glass of wine. If you don't like wine chances are you will probably not like Wild Blue. I like wine a lot so this beer appealed to me.

It is very very sweet and a nice change of pace. Really taste like blueberry or grape juice. I know that probably doesn't appeal to a lot of beer drinkers, but it is a nice beer to have a couple glasses on a winter night or even summer night.

Kind of shocked to see all the negative reviews for this beer, but it is probably more like a sweet glass of wine. Has an ALC. content of 8% so you got to love that :)

2.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

#9. This was amongst one of the first picks I chose when doing my primary runs to the local supermarket for beer. Of course, I had to judge the beer by the cover. I recall an overwhelming blueberry likeness like none I had ever experienced. I was torn at the time as to whether it was any good. Brewed by Blue Dog Brewing in Baldwinsville, New York, Anheuser-Busch has some sort of oversight in this beer's distribution. I've seen it just about everywhere. Twist-off cap.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a room temperature pint glass.

(Appearance) Beer pours an extraordinary pinkish-purple with a disappointing, perhaps 1/4th finger thick layer of thin, carbonated head that dies within seconds. I don't remember appearance being this bad looking on my first try, but I had a semi-aggressive pour, with pitiful results. There is little left on the surface and even on the sides. No lacing. It looks like a slightly lighter shade of grape soda. As if this doesn't help the comparison more, there's a great deal of active, fast moving and fizzy carbonation in the glass. If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that it was a non-alcoholic carbonated beverage. Not at all impressive. 1.5

(Smell) Blueberries, obviously. Might be bordering on other sweet fruits, however, like plums or grapes. They don't smell real however, as if the scent comes from mostly concentrate or artificial flavoring. It is just too strong and masks most of whatever other qualities this beer may have. I smell no hops, little to no malts, and can catch a good deal of alcohol aroma, likely from the fact that there is so little to cover it up. The beer smells sickly sweet. 1.5

(Taste) Sweet Blueberry grenadine and alcohol is masking nearly any discernible qualities this beer has otherwise. The taste isn't terrible for what it is, but it tastes more like a beer/mixed drink hybrid, or maybe even a wine cooler. There is a good deal of tartness from the blueberry flavor and a slight malty but super-sweet aftertaste that, when combined with the alcohol, is overwhelmingly biting. There's a definite imbalance of flavor here, where it seems that some things could and should be added in to round out the flavor more, and other things (Blueberry syrup, dare I suggest?) should be heavily pulled back on. This beer is wild, but whether that is on a good note or not may depend on a consumer to consumer basis. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Light bodied, highly carbonated and super fizzy but slightly on the dry side. The alcohol in this beer is tongue-tickling and incredibly easy to discern. This is one of the sweetest things I have ever consumed. 2.5

(Drinkability) I would imagine that this part would be up to the background and history of the person drinking this, as well as favorite styles and brands, etc. Yes, I finished it, and I personally didn't find it all too hard to consume, but I truthfully enjoy mixed drinks as well, and this beer seems to be at least halfway there. This is super easy drinking for what it is, especially considering the surprisingly high Alcohol content (8% ABV even) in the bottle. However, I'd have to mention that it is filling as well, making me struggle to go for a second, even if I really wanted another. I've got two more of these in the refrigerator... I think I'm gonna pass them on to somebody else. Ultimately, I'd rate this pretty average as it depends on whether it fits the individual's beer drinker/non-beer drinker palate, and it is honestly difficult to categorize. 3

Verdict: In a nutshell, this stands out as one of the most interesting bottled "beers" that I have ever consumed, but honestly, I liked it even less the second time around. So here's what I say about this; If you appreciate zero hoppy bitterness, low malty sweets and a super sweet, fruity, carbonated beverage without any alcohol barriers, then you might appreciate this. It tasted to me like a wine cooler or a mixed beverage. If you're looking for characteristics of your average, run-of-the-mill beer, this might be the single grossest thing you ever tried. It's worth a shot to most people, especially if you can find a single bottle, try it. I'm on the fence about what it is, but it wasn't very good as a beer. It's a blueberry punch in the face. I wouldn't get it again. D (2.15)

1.12/5  rDev -49.3%

It's insane that they would call this beer.

Appearance- It has the appearance of carbonated grape juice.

Smell- The smell of fermented blueberries.

Taste- Like drinking a home made wine thats carbonated. With the addition of high fructose corn syrup. Terribly bad.

Mouthfeel- Like alcoholic soda.

Drinkability- It's drinkability isn't bad, though it's called a beer. Since it is called a beer you should definitely avoid because it's so far from what beer should be. I gave the rest away to someone I didn't like.

2.59/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured into a stange glass. I picked this up in a mix-your-own-sixer deal and had no idea that it was Anheuser-Bush. It has been sitting in the fridge for months. Here goes.

Pours looking surprisingly like a Belgian fruit lambic. Body is luminescent reddish pink capped with an impressive light pink head that actually laces quite well. Wow. If someone poured it in a glass but didn't show me the bottle and had me guess what it was, I would guess that it is one of the Lindemans lambics. Higher scores for appearance... who knew?

The only smells I can pick up even with some vigorous swirling is blueberry syrup and a touch of citric acid.

What? The taste is outrageous. It is as if they took Bud light and poured copious amounts of blueberry syrup in it, and maybe some cheap vodka to hike up the alcohol. Interestingly, there are no detectable flaws in the flavor, unless "sweet" is a flaw.

The mouthfeel is rather average in every way, but once again it isn't bad. The drinkability is totally dependent on if you like sweet syrupy fruit drinks or not. If you do, and you would like them even more if you poured a little vodka and Bud Light in, this will be very drinkable to you.

Conclusion: This is a special formulation for sorority girls that don't like beer because it isn't sweet enough so that they can drink half the liquid and get just as drunk. I can't find any real problems with it however, because this is a style that is wide open for different interpretation.

2.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Poured a dull redish purple, with almost no head, that left little lacing on the glass.

Smell- This smells exactly like my kids juicy juice, alot of berry, but the smell of alcohol is barely present.

Taste- The taste reminded me of a cheap wine, very fruity with no hop flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel- Very light, on the tongue. Carbonation is as high as the sugar content.

Drinkability- This does go down pretty smoothly for a 8%. But that doesnt make me want to drink it again.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch