Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
3.62/5  rDev +63.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a wine/grape color, and had a great looking pink cap of foam about 1/2 - 3/4 thick. Sadley it dissapeared rapidly.

S: Blueberry galore with little or no hop aroma.

T: More like a malt beverage than beer.Very berry instantly wondering how many pounds of blueberries surly not my standard 4lbs per 5 gallon I use for a fruit beer, and find out used juice for flavor. But still great berry flavor.

M: Was good on the the tongue and ABV at 8 % was not very overpowering as in some high gravity beers.

D: Was not inclined to have another but was very impressed with knowledge of Anheuser-Busch, Inc. They can make a beer with taste even if its a non conventional one.

1.35/5  rDev -38.9%

Well...

I made a review of this and was actually being polite calling it Ugly. Pours a syrupy feel, and leaves a real sorry looking disturbing pink foamy head.

I come here and I see the same comments. A head that dissolves instantly, a beer where you can't smell any of the so called hops of this "premium lager", cough syrup, grape juice... etc.. etc.. weak mouth feel. A wine cooler not a beer.

As for smell, it's all cough syrup and fake artificial fruit. Worse is the taste.

I give this a failing grade because this does NOT resemble beer in any shape or form what so ever. There is no malt, bread, or hops to taste or feel, and this is really nothing more than a GNS based vodka Smirinoff wine cooler piece of baloney.

Avoid this thing.

1.19/5  rDev -46.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a purplish-red color reminiscent of red wine. Has a thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly leaving little to no lacing.

Smell: Smells of blueberry extract and alcohol. This is one of the few beers that I can say actually smells unpleasant.

Taste: Has a mild bitterness up front but all that gives way to an overwhelming, sickening blueberry flavor. This tastes less like beer and more like a sub-standard wine cooler.

Mouthfeel: Like sparkling water...

Drinkability: This is barely recognizable as a beer. This may be the worst beer I've ever had. If I was offered this by someone, I would politely decline and just have water instead. Honestly, this is terrible. Its only redeeming quality is that it's 8% ABV so at least I could possibly get drunk enough to forget I ever had it.

4.6/5  rDev +108.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To start off, I'm an IPA drinker, yet occasionally I like a good Kool-Aid beer. This is definitely a Kool-Aid beer. I will down a quick sweet Leinie's Berry Weiss on occasion and love it, so this was up my alley.

Whoa, hits me like a ton-o bricks when I drink it as fast, since it's 8%. Wow. This really shouldn't be ranked with other beers since it's almost a "malt beverage" but I liked it. I liked it a lot. I'm almost embarrassed to say I did, but I did. It reminds me of the blueberry Eggos I had with my five year old this morning. LOL

The beer itself is sweet. Pouring it I found a beer that is the same hue as wine, of all things--a purple rarely found in beer. The head disappeared almost immediately. The aroma reminds me of IHOP on a Sunday morning and I've just poured a healthy portion of blueberry syrup over my short stack of hotcakes. It also reminds me of the aforementioned Leinie's Berry Weiss. I don't get an unpleasant artificially sweet aftertaste, which was pleasing.

This might be really appreciated by people who grew up on "Grape Drink" (Dave Chapelle?) or who cannot tolerate the bitterness of a good brew. You'll probably love it if you like like fruity beers. I did. But since I like bitter DIPA's regularly, I can't get over how good this beer is. I just wonder what a Bell's Hopslam would taste like after one of these?

3.56/5  rDev +61.1%

I had to pick this up after seeing all the terrible ratings on it. And after, trying it, i like this beer, but i wouldnt seek it out to drink it again.

From the moment of popping off the cap it gives off a very pungent and sweet berry aroma. Not unpleasant but somewhat "artificial" with a very Joose-like malt liquor tainted smell in the background.

Pours a clear deep red with pink off-white head. Some lacing actually clings to the glass for throughout the session but most quickly recedes immidiately.

Taste is not bad, all berry sweetness, but no depth to balance it out. Bitter bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very thin and overly carbonated.

Drinkability is pretty good, the body seems very light for the alc. content.

I honestly dont even know if this is really a "beer" or more of a flavored malt beverage as i feel there really isnt much of an emphasis on hops and malt interplay.

My new FAVORITE beer! Smell, taste, mouthfeel and especially drinkability are all FANTATSTIC! It's a little strong at 8% alc, but goes down smooth. My local liquor store only carries it in 6 packs, and sells out pretty regularly. A highly recommended drink.

2.48/5  rDev +12.2%

Very disappointed here! I went to my local Wegmans to pick a blueberry beer and, boy did I fail! (I had a really good blueberry beer at our local Rhinos Soccer stadium when I knew nothing about beer quality and was very impressed yet failed to remember the name and hence I have been left to search for the taste.) What the heck was that BEER.

OK on to this mess.

A: it looks like grape juice. No head or lace.

s: Actual good, like blueberry pancakes.

T: YUCK! This is not beer, more like a wine cooler, or juice with fizz. I am disappointed since i was looking for BEER! not a boons.

M: Not good. Metallic,

D: Not my type of "beer" I wanted a sweet blueberry beer but this has no beer qualities. Good Thing is my wife really likes it so the six pack will not go to waste.

IF this was a wine-cooler review, I would say this is good.

2.61/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours a crimson red color, with no head or lacing whatsoever. Aroma of sparkling grape juice. Tastes very sweet, yet crisp, with a slight aftertaste of bitterness.

Faint notes of hops, very sugary, but not heavy. Do not drink more than one of these. I sense you will suffer gut rot if you do.

Unfortunately this may be a better beer to mix in a smoothie, or pour over your pancakes!

1.16/5  rDev -47.5%

Why oh why did I do this one to myself, I have been asking that question more and more lately as I go through the worst of the worst, but hey I got to do it. Bottle served cold and poured into a footed pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 08/16/2010.

The pour looked liked something out of my childhood memories as the purple colored liquid with the bright pink top just seemed wrong. Lacing held up for a little while, but it was not long before it faded to leave a weird grape soda looking liquid. Small aroma of alcohol and faint, fake fruit notes come through the air, this was enough to almost make me sick. One sip was all it took. The overly carbonated, thick, artificial fruit flavor was too much to bear. It was like taking a colt 45 and mixing it with grape soda. Just wrong.

Overall I have been going after some real winners lately but this may be hands down the worst I have had.

1.92/5  rDev -13.1%

I too fell into the trap. I love how the first thing I saw on the 6 pack sleeve is "Gold Medal Award". Had I known this beer was made by AB, I'd have passed. The concept seems great. An 8.0% "lager" with complexity, and flavor. However, what you're getting from it is a glorified malt liquor/cheap wine flavor. I paid $8.69 for a 6 pack of this, and would have been better off buying a sixer of Steel Reserve and a 40 OZ of something else.

I guess if anything, it's the last time I buy this piss again.

1.73/5  rDev -21.7%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees, fridge chilled for approx 15 minutes

This looks like red-tinted grape soda. The head of loose foam is over two-fingers high and an almost unnatural pinkish-red-purple color. It recedes fairly quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

Smell is like the fake blueberry smell of packaged blueberry muffin mix. There is nothing 'real' about this smell. It does smell very sweet though, if that helps.

If you mixed grape soda, cheap red wine and blueberry flavoring together, then let it sit in the hot sun to ferment for a couple of weeks....
I'm not sure if that would be better than this, but it would be damn close.
This tastes more like Boones Farm than beer.

It's almost full-bodied and has a fairly high level of carbonation. This gives it a very 'soda pop' kind of feel. Not really what I look for in a beer.

I've had a few sips for the purpose of this review. As soon as this is done, the rest is going to be a drain pour. Very low drinkability.

1.27/5  rDev -42.5%

A mixture of bud and blueberry extract! That is exactly what this beer taste likes. This has got to be one of if not the worst beer I have ever had the displeasure of tasting. Thankfully I did not purchase this beer as one of my friends bought it and gave one to me. It pours a purplish color and the overwhelming perfumed blueberry aroma was all that could be smelled! The taste, well, wine cooler came to mind. I could not finish this beer and will avoid at all cost!

3.05/5  rDev +38%

ST-Bottle, poured into glass

A-pours like grape juice or a thick wine.

S- smells like a strong blueberry/

T- at first taste it is really great but becomes very sweet quick

M- heavy in the mouth, nothing impressive

D- Horrid for long term drinking, can have one or two max before the sweetness just becomes to powerful

2.13/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark blue/purple-ish color, not much head to speak of. Smells like blueberries, the flavor that dominates this beer. Tastes like blueberries as well, you can barely taste any hops in this. Mouthfeel was fine. At 8% ABV, this isn't something you can afford to have a few of. This doesn't belong in the category of beer, it belongs with hornsbys hard cider and mikes hard lemonade. If you are expecting a beer you are going to be let down, but if you want a fruity alcholic drink it might be worth a try.

2.58/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance - it pours a very dark cyan with relatively little to no head.

Smell - It smells like the fake blueberry flavoring used in baking.

Taste - It obviously tastes like blueberries. It is exceptionally sweet for a beer. Almost juice -like. If you love over the top blueberry flavoring, then this beer is for YOU.

Mouthfeel - It was a little thicker and fuller than I expected. Little to no carbonation which added to the aformentioned juice-like aspect of this beer.

Drinkability - In my opinion, I dont think I can handle more than one of these at a time. It may be an excellent paring with cheesecake or another creamy desert, but I could not drink this beer by itself without something to contrast the blueberry flavor.

40F in a plastic cup

A- deep blue with a fast disappearing head

S- a touch of blueberry otherwise without aroma

T- sweet with lots of blueberry

M - a lot like soda without the acid

D- enjoyable to drink but if I want soda, I'll buy soda

As a lot of folks have noted this is one of AB's "covered-up" brews. One just has to ask, why is that?

2.65/5  rDev +19.9%

I'm seeing this more and more from the big brewers - the release of beer under different brand names, usually ones that sound more like small craft breweries would, in order to obfuscate, inveigle, and deceive, as far as I'm concerned. There is surely nothing about AB on the label of this sucker...

This beer pours a perfectly clear reddish purple hue, with two fingers of chunky, soapy pink head, which dissipates fairly slowly, leaving some random swaths of lace around the glass. It smells strongly of sweet blueberry/cherry/blackberry juice, with a decent acidic edge. The taste is pretty much like a fruit juice blend - blueberry, plum, blackberry, with a mild graininess stuck in the background. There is a very tame warming from the elevated ABV. The carbonation is on the low side, the body light, sugary, and smooth like gin and juice. It finishes sweet and a bit tangy, cementing the likeness to Tropicana's finest...

Well, I can't say I don't like this - it tastes like a fruit cooler, with real fruit flavours, and is fairly refreshing, especially on a hot, sunny day. However, judging this as a beer is damned near impossible, as I can discern very few non-fruit characteristics in this alco-pop.

1.7/5  rDev -23.1%

Highly dissapointed with this beer as I could not tell on the packaging that it was made by AB. After one sip I threw it away, and placed the other five back in the fridge for company. It's more like a wine cooler with a hint of beer. We debated what they could have won their gold medal in... Best blueberry beers? Competition of one or two? It leaves the same dissapointment AB beers usually do with an irritating flat fizz afterwards.

1.03/5  rDev -53.4%

Appearance: Poured cherry / light purple, with a fizzy light cheery head that vanished before my very eyes.

Aroma: Sour and sweet aromas upfront, honestly smells like spritzy grape juice, slightly tart, no hop aroma, no malt aromas.

F: Spritzy astringency hits your tongue first and then unfolds into a funky grape juice on the palate with hints of light american lager in the background. No hop flavors, no malt flavors. Balance is toward the grape juice flavors.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, medium bodied, light medium mouthfeel. Astringency from the carbonation was present / Slight alcohol warmth from the 8%.

Overall: I did not enjoy this beer and here is why: The fruit aroma should have been "complimentary" and to add to the complexity of the beer, not simply overpower every other feature such as : hops, malt, water (Beer Basics 101). Flavor: This beer definitely suggested a "fruit drink" to me, and included off flavors = light american lager = stylistically incorrect. Impression = Not a marriage of fruit and beer.

Constructive Criticism : Reduce the amount of spritzy fruit drink aspect and perhaps increase real fruit flavors that compliment the underlying beer (if you may).

2.88/5  rDev +30.3%

Didn't know this was AB when I bought it.

Clear purple with a small purple head, did I mention it is PURPLE!

Smell is all blueberries with no real beer scents to it at all.

Starts out sweet, very sweet. Tastes like Budweiser with blueberry juice in it. You can feel the burn of the alcohol in this one so I don't doubt that this is 8% ABV. Aftertaste is blueberry. I LOVE blueberries so this is tolerable. Unless you REALLY want a sweet blueberry concoction with minimal beer characteristics you shouldn't buy this.

Mouthfeel is average at best.

Drinkability is average to me. If you don't REALLY like blueberries you will find this to be near intolerable. As it is I will finish the six pack but there won't be a repeat purchase.

3.26/5  rDev +47.5%

It's not the best beer I have ever had... but to me it's not terrible. I froze my glass and put frozen blueberries in it (like you would a Blueberry Ale in New England). It tasted a bit better than if you just drank it out of the bottle. The color makes this come off as a poor man's lambic. The nose is not the most pleasant (something I would expect from an A-B beer) , the taste is ok... mostly refreshing if you drink it the way I do. There is a significant aftertaste which bothers me, but hey what can you do? All in all... it's not a good beer, but not the worst. It is something I would drink in the hot summer heat.

1.78/5  rDev -19.5%

Drank this straight from the bottle. My buddy brought over a six-pack - big mistake.

A: Can't comment, since I drank this straight from the bottle.

S: Whoa - all I'm getting on the nose is an overly fake, chemical blueberry smell.

T: Gross. All fake blueberry. I wouldn't even call this a beer - it is so one-dimensional.

M: Actually quite carbonated. Reminded me a malt beverage, like a Zima.

D: Terrible. Couldn't even choke down one beer - couldn't imagine having to drink more than one of these. Will never drink this again.

1.38/5  rDev -37.6%

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

the presentation of this beer is its chief selling point. and that is profoundly unfortunate. pours a purplish tone, small head lacking retention or lacing.

the nose is dominated by an overly sweet, artificial blueberry presence. not good, but it doesn't hint at the extent of the terror that lurks within.

the flavor is, to be charitable, a wretched, unholy abomination. cloying, boozy artifical blueberry spiked with cheap vodka. if nyquil made a blueberry flavor, this would probably be how it would taste.

light mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

ah yes, drinkability... i've read in other reviews this being compared to a wine cooler. sorry to say, i would prefer a wine cooler. drainpour, and that is a rare statement from me. i feel sorry for the drain.

1.78/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Purple with a pink tinted head. Aromas of blueberry juice and thin lager. Taste of blueberry juice and adjunct lager. Very sweet and a little boozy. A very medicinal aftertaste.

Aargh, hoodwinked again! I bought this beer even though I was skeptical about it. It said Blue Dawg brewing Co. and it had a "North American Brewer's Association Gold Medal" tagline on the box. If I had looked at the bottle and seen "made with real and artificial fruit flavors" I would have been even more skeptical. Of course, after trying it I ran to BA to see what was the deal. A-B. Enough said. I wouldn't be so mad except for the subterfuge. Still a waste of $8, it tastes like a boozy budweiser with blueberry juice.

2.28/5  rDev +3.2%

Purple-hued with minimal head. clear. Kind of stinks like when I try to make blueberry Mr. Beer beer. Tastes astringent with alcohol notes... Kind of rough. Blueberry is present but it tastes like a mediocre berry wine. I don't care for it. It's hard to drink more than one.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch