Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
jasonjlewis

1.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Looks like pale purple blueberry juice. There is a small head but the retention is pretty good.

Smell is of cheap artifical blueberry juice. It wasn't very strong at first. As I let it breathe, the smell become stronger. It's still not very good though.

The taste is absolutely awful. It tastes like cheap macro lager mixed with cheap artificial blueberry juice. Simply nasty.

The beer has a juice like mouthfeel that mixes a slight cloyingness with a dryness. Not particularly good.

Avoid this beer. This is awful stuff. I was lucky that I got only one bottle and didn't waste my money on the six pack.

08-08-2008 04:54:09 | More by jasonjlewis
KIX

1.95/5  rDev -9.7%

I am disappointed. This tastes like Peels or heavily spiked grape soda. I did not pick up on any beer qualities. The high alcohol content is a plus. Sadly, it is the only good thing going for Wild Blue. I am afraid I wouldn't be able to stomach more than 2, because his "beer" is just WAY TOO SWEET. The aftertaste is heavy in the mouth, and leaves the tongue and teeth with an unpleasant sour coating.

08-04-2008 02:07:59 | More by KIX
ltjska04

Kentucky

2.38/5  rDev +10.2%

I, like many, was fooled by this beer sitting on the shelves of my local Kroger. "Oh, an award-winning blueberry lager by some brewery I've never heard of? I should try it" I thought. Bad idea. The appearance of this "beer" is ruby, and the taste is almost like a sweet cranberry and vodka. It doesn't taste like beer at all and is way too sweet for me to drink more than two of these at a time. The 8% alcohol made me reach for this recently only to cap off my buzz and help get rid of this misleading brew.

08-03-2008 05:32:41 | More by ltjska04
hitokiri

2.13/5  rDev -1.4%

O.K., my experience with this one is much like everyone elses. It was my anniversary the other night, and my girlfriend and I wanted to pick up a couple six packs. She went with some pomegranate Bacardi Mojitos, and then proceeded to rush me in my selection. I had seen this one for a couple weeks and was intrigued by it. Unfortunately I couldn't remember the name when I tried to find reviews on it. Needless to say, despite all the other great beers my local grocery store has, I ended up with THIS one.

I was alerted to my mistake when opening the first one since it had a twist cap.

It poured, to my surprise, dark purple with a purplish head that lasted a minute or two.

VERY berry smell, and consiquently, VERY berry syrup flavor. I had to actually TRY to taste the beer in this.

Mouthfeel wasn't too awful bad, there was just so much syrup taste.

Drinkability was a bit hard, but not so much I couldn't finish them. After you have a couple they are easier to go down, still not easy though...

This just tasted way too much like some kind of wierd wine.

I was hoping, and really wanting something more like a lambic, or atleast with more actual beer in it. Oddly enough, my girlfriend thought it was "great", she is also not much into beer and tends to like what I don't though...

Reading the bottom of the box, and finding out who actually makes this, it is clear that AB just sent some Bud (or maybe even Busch or Nattie Lite) to Texas to have some blueberry syrup dumped in it.

07-31-2008 21:08:17 | More by hitokiri
Donnie2112

Alaska

1.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Did not seek this one out, my roommate has been into fruit beers lately and picked this one up. I am not a fruit beer guy.

This beer is purple, that said it has some nice head or it would be nice if it weren't purple. There is also some light purple lace. Interesting

smells like a bag of frozen blueberries

tastes like frozen blueberries, not much else just blueberries, there's a bit of an alcohol bite but that's about it. I don't taste the malts I don't taste any hops. Just blueberry, it's almost like it's blueberry soda or something

rather light and thin, this is the most disconcerting thing about this beer. It has no body to accompany the flavor

I suppose it's great if you just like blueberry soda more then you do beer, it's almost like you could've taken to shots of vodka dropped it in a pint glass filled said pint glass a quarter of the way with concentrated blueberry juice and then added carbonated water. It seems like there is no reason for this to even be beer. Why go to the trouble of actually brewing beer when this is your aim? Needless to say, NOT MY THING

Unfortunately I drain poured this one.

07-29-2008 01:54:24 | More by Donnie2112
meatmallet

3.08/5  rDev +42.6%

Purplish red with no head. Light carbonation rises from the bottom in a constant stream.

Smells like what it is blueberry beer.

Tastes like a mix between blueberry and grape juice. Reminds me more of juice than beer.

Mouthfeel is good and carbonation is just right.

Overall its not bad but I dont think I could drink more than one of these.

07-28-2008 04:46:03 | More by meatmallet
BobbyBeerman

2.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I thought that this looked interesting on the shelf. When I got it home and poured it I was more than a little shocked.

A: Purple. The thing is purple. Light head fading fast. Cloudy with apparent light carbonation.

S: Berry. There is something else there but I can't put my finger on it. The berry is strong.

T: Berry and alcohol. It weighs in at 8.0% ABV so I expected a little alcohol taste.

M: Light body, flat - low carbonation, a little harsh on the palate.

D: I would label it "not that easy to drink" and leave it at that. It just tastes like they were trying to do too much with it. It was interesting to experience it.

07-26-2008 02:44:49 | More by BobbyBeerman
albern

2.65/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer looks like a lager beer with lots of grape/blueberry juice added. It is the most purpley beer color I think I've seen. The beer has a bit of head, some lacing, but this dissipates pretty quickly. The aroma is bubblegum, sweetner, fruit juice, but there is a mustiness in the background that gives this thing away.

The taste is just way too in your face grape juice and lager mixed. It is not that interesting until the finish where there is a nutty, slightly drying taste. The back end also suffers from a throaty ABV burn, that is just unbalanced with the rest of this beer. This beer is hard to digest after awhile and it really isn't that good. This is a beer with adjunct sweetner, but in this case, it was just over the top and badly compromised any integrity this thing may have had.

07-25-2008 23:46:14 | More by albern
orangemoustache

2.53/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a diluted blood red with a tall pinkish head that retains nicely leaving behind some of the best lacing I've seen in a while.The nose is reminding me of new tire smell,very plasticy,some slight berry,but not fresh smelling.The taste is cheap and sugary.Mostly wild berry and some grape juice flavors.There is almost no mouthfeel,thin and watery with low carbonation.The alcohol seems well hidden,tho with some more alcohol flavors this may have somthing else to talk about,this one is very one dimentional.

07-22-2008 16:44:24 | More by orangemoustache
justincolts

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev +14.8%

I was really excited about this when I saw it, as I love blueberries and it mentioned some awards that were won. I saw the 8%abv and thought "whoa". It is designed to look like a microbrew but is brewed by A-B. It pours very purple like a limbic or a fruit juice and is kind of acidic. It doesn't have much beer taste too it but more like a fruit juice. I can drink it but I'm disappointed.

07-22-2008 00:20:48 | More by justincolts
bort11

1.55/5  rDev -28.2%

12 oz bottle poured into an over sized mug. Tall fizzy purple/blue head. Color is a dark grape soda purple. Even though I know it's a blueberry beer, that color is really off-setting.

Smell some grainy malt characteristics, but the syrupy sweet blueberries is overwhelming. Tastes like carbonated IHOP blueberry syrup.

I think the higher ABV is to get you jacked up so you do realize what it is you are drinking. I think high school cheerleaders will love this.

Sometimes you have to experience the really bad in order to appreciate the really good.

07-21-2008 01:42:02 | More by bort11
Garzan72

South Carolina

1.45/5  rDev -32.9%

This was my first blueberry lager. I swore that I liked the taste of blueberries but know I am not sure anymore. It smelled like a grape/blueberry juice (not beer). It Tasted exactly as it smelled and left a anasty tart after taste. The mouthfeel was that great, I think it was like drinking a sparkling wine. Drinkablitlity- Baqrely got through this thing.

07-20-2008 09:47:37 | More by Garzan72
TheViceBlog

2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

I had been seeing this beer on the shelf for a few weeks and was intrigued to try it. A fruit beer at 8%. Wow. You don't see that very often.

I popped the top and the smell was kinda magnificent. Potent and powerful, packed with blueberries. The first sip wasn't so bad either. It was all downhill from there. This beer is borderline undrinkable and I struggled to finish it. The problem is that it doesn't even really taste like beer. Just very viscous blueberry juice. Actually, it's almost more grape-like. I can't believe this isn't made by Welch's. Or Manischewitz. Only later did I learn who truly makes this abomination: Anheuser-Busch.
It's quite sleazy how AB has clearly tried to design their bottle to look "microbrew-esque" and to dupe fools like me into trying it. For shame. And, how absolutely bizarre that the near highest ABV beer in their massive collection is a blueberry lager. But, this is clearly not flavored with real blueberries. It's a potent force of artificial flavors and colors (this beer appears more purple than Grimace) that totally mask the alcohol. Not a good thing in this case.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

07-19-2008 01:35:11 | More by TheViceBlog
BryanCarey

1.9/5  rDev -12%

Copper- colored with a purple tint, Wild Blue Blueberry Lager offers a scent that combines blueberries up front with a touch of grain, alcohol, and something I can't put my finger on. An attractive head of purple foam forms quickly, but falls apart very fast and leaves no lacing.

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager tastes like blueberries, but there is little taste of actual beer. This product has a alcoholic, tart blueberry jam taste up front and in the middle, followed by the sweet flavor of blueberries with a touch of grape. I assume there are some hops used to make Wild Blue Blueberry Lager, but either they are used sparingly or they are overwhelmed by the fruity flavor.

Wild Blue is an odd tasting brew, and it really belongs in the category of a wine/beer hybrid. This beer is far too sweet and too blueberry enhanced to take seriously as a malt beverage product. It's like an alcoholic grape soda and wine mixture. It might make a good addition as an ingredient in certain foods, liked cooked desserts. But it certainly tastes nothing like beer and it's a product to avoid.

07-13-2008 14:48:26 | More by BryanCarey
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.95/5  rDev +36.6%

Had to give this a shot since I was able to buy just 1.

Pours claret/cranberry with a finger of purplish pink head. good head retention & lacing

S: Berry smell & a touch of mustiness

T: Blueberry pie, booze & metallic hops up front. Serious blueberry & booze starts ratcheting up as this warms. Finishes juicy, with slight tartness & candy like sweetness (sweet tarts or smarties)

MF: Light bodied with minimal carbonation

Drinks okay, but cloying sweetness makes this a one & done. The sweetness makes me think alco-pops not beer, still as good or better than sea dog's blueberry offering IMO. The look & taste of this makes it hard for me to believe this is derived from all natural flavors. I'm sure my wife will love this, I'd pick some up for her if no other beers of this ilk were on offer. my rating is much higher than the norm, but I call'em how I see them even if AB is trying to pull the wool over folks eyes. I've found more offenisive flavors in other AB beers un the mainstream, but it could just be me

07-13-2008 05:23:44 | More by russpowell
bigbeer2000

2.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Horrible. I have a great local store that carries a large and wonderful assortment of beer. I went to the seasonal section and pick this one up because 1. it was new and 2. it had a big "gold medal" award on the six pack. Never heard of it before. Got it over to a friends house and opened it up expecting a good brew. It tastes like almost good beer mixed with blueberry kool-aid. It looks like it too.

Horrible.

Appearance: looks like grape soda.
Smell: ok, very fruity.
Taste: Watery, BLUEBERRY w/ a hint of beer.
Mouthfeel: Would be ok, but you get a kick of surpy fruit - then an ok lager "beer" feel. Heavy on the fizz.
Drinkability: If you like grape soda and beer you'll be ok.

This is a honest review but also a warning. I have had some great beer with fruit undertones and taste. This is not that type of beer.

07-12-2008 01:45:03 | More by bigbeer2000
Nickls

District of Columbia

1.13/5  rDev -47.7%

Like other posts, I got duped. My girlfriend really enjoys blueberry beers, and I thought I was being clever in buying something new for us to try...I'm a moron.

A - looks like a lighter version of grape juice, with a little, fizzy head

S - smells like grape juice with alcohol

T - Tastes grape juice with an added syrupy sugar, with alcohol

M - Fizzy, and fizzier with a sickly syrupy feel

D - I had only enough sips to write this review, and then down the drain.

This is a "malt beverage" along the lines of smirnoff, etc. garbage. Gotta give AB credit for their marketing/presentation tactics...they got a couple of bucks from me. Won't happen again though

07-07-2008 19:03:42 | More by Nickls
Ricochet

1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

I was robbed! Tricky bastards at AB put this one out there and get unsuspecting dupes like me to try it. Okay, they are doing better, but seeing the initial reviews....

Is this beer? It pours like Kool Aid, no head and no lace and sits in my glass looking like grape juice wine.

S: Nehi anyone?

I thought I'd let that review sit. It has no mouth other than a soda water taste and sweet, sweet, sweet, with a bread aftertaste. The taste, well, if I wanted a malternative, or a soda, I would have gotten said beverage respectively. The fact that I found this in my usual with all the other BEERS is the real crime, so as a beer, this is not. Other than the bread and sweet, artificial blueberries, there is nothing else.

Next time I go to my local, I'll suggest this be near the malternatives. Amongst those, this is like a pop. I drank it, it wasn't bad, but I would never call this beer.

07-06-2008 16:11:18 | More by Ricochet
tmitch75

2.55/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz bottle gives absolutly no impression that it's an A-B product. I wouldn't review it any differently had I known, but it is pretty interesting that such a successful business is ashamed to put their name on the packaging.

Beer pours a bright purple with pink creamy head. It's pretty creepy actually, but I think that's what they were going for.

Smell is sweet, like blueberry syrup. Not much else going on in the nose.

Taste is too much like blueberry juice, again nothing else going on. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth but too syrupy.

Fruit beers are hard to pull off, and this one is average at best. Interesting to be sure, but I wouldn't search it out.

Tasted on 5/22/08.

07-05-2008 18:52:05 | More by tmitch75
ccrida

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +100.5%

12 oz. bottle which says nothing about being an A-B product, which I always resent - not that it's A-B, that they mask it with BS shell breweries. Poured into my Yuengling pils glass, Wild Blue is a chill-hazed purple, like the blueberry juice it's made with, forming a small, quickly fleeting violet head that leaves very light lace. I like the color.

Smell is sweet and berries. This reminds me a lot of St Ides fruit malt liquors, Special Brews I think they were called, although with more natural blueberry, which I like.

Taste is the same, lots of blueberry, which is what I expected when I bought it. Not quite as cloying as malt liquor though, sweet and berry for sure, with some grain in the background, and the ABV is well hidden. For what it is, a strong fruit beer, it's well done, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is slightly crisp, and much lighter bodied then I expected from the look and smell.

Drinkability was surprisingly high, this is not to heavy, the booze is well hidden, and the blueberry flavor is strong and pure. The label says it's made with all natural ingredients, if that means just grain, sugar and berries, then I'm impressed. I recognize it's not for everyone, and really doesn't even taste like beer. But it's pretty clear from the label what your buying (aside from who makes it), and it far surpassed my expectations in that regard. I was surprised how I kept having to bump up the scores. Still, at the end of the day, this isn't my style, and I'll probably never bother having it again. Quite the panty dropper for the sorostitues I'm sure!

07-04-2008 23:31:20 | More by ccrida
gatorjim

4.5/5  rDev +108.3%

You guys are a bunch of girls. A beer drinker will review what he senses, not "I gotta tow the line cause other people hate it" re-hash. Give me a break. Review the beer for what it is, not what you read. Beer snobs abound. Don't fall victim!

I love hoppy beers! My favorite beer is Bells "Two Hearted Ale" a nice American IPA (which is highly rated BTW). I also like a nice flavored beer every now and then and Wild Blue fits the pint.

My review:

WILD BLUE? Do I EXPECT a BLUE beer? Why yes I do. Do I expect it to taste like blueberries? Why not, it's on the label!

Appearance (A) Poured into a chilled pint - Nice purple color- just like blueberries. Slight creamy purplish foam head. Cool!

Smell - Surprise.... Blueberry. Hops? ... Uh, no. Malt? ... I don't think so. Did you say blueberry? Why yes, it smells an awful bit like blueberry! And yes it has a nice sweet BLUEBERRY smell.

Taste - Surprise again .... Blueberry, oh yes, blueberry. WOW! I like it. Then again. I love the taste of blueberries. This beer is just too easy to drink and at 8% it's easy to feel! Oh yes.

Mouthfeel - About average. Not too thick and not too thin. As Papa Bear might put it "Just Right" for a fruit beer.

Drinkability - OMG swill away. This lager is way to good to contain alcohol. It's almost like juice or soda. If you close your eyes and drink it, 3 bottles will be gone in an instant.

Did you drink enough Wild Blue to give it a review? Well then, review it

My score 4.0!

07-03-2008 03:20:30 | More by gatorjim
ThreeWiseMen

1.2/5  rDev -44.4%

Appearance: This is one of the most disgusting beer's I've ever poured. A freakish purple head that looks like something I'd drink as a kid. I'm not a kid. I'm 25 and I'm ashamed that I purchased this.

Smell: I second IHOP man, this beer smells like something I'd pour on my pancakes. Except not in a good way, like blueberry mixed with bud ice.

Taste: This is not a beer. This is not a beer.

Mouthfeel: Really liquidy for a syrup. I don't understand.

Drinkability: 25 out of 2,000,000 stars. The only good thing about this beer is that it has 8% alcohol and I can use it to get girls to hook up with me. This beer is so fruity that it's giving me a headache.

I dumped the rest of the beer out. Horrible horrible, the girl with us wouldn't try it because she smelled it and said it smelled like crotch.

07-02-2008 04:00:00 | More by ThreeWiseMen
tctruffin

2.8/5  rDev +29.6%

The brew presents as carbonated blueberry syrup from IHOP. There was little to no head. Aroma was overwhelmingly sweet and syrup like. The taste, thankfully, was not as syrupy, but there was still an overwhelming blueberry flavor along with a cidery undertone. While not cloying, the mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, which hurts drinkability.

06-28-2008 01:47:19 | More by tctruffin
iceball585

1.6/5  rDev -25.9%

A- Dark purple color, non-trasparent, thin light purple head that faded to a thin ring around the glass

S- Light malts, grains, mild hops, hint of blueberries

T- Sour, blueberries, tangy, syrup, fizzy, grainy sugar, slightly sweet finish

M- Light/medium body, medium/heavy carbonation, strongly resembles soda

D- Not worth buying

When I first poured this beer into a glass I thought I had somehow bought grape soda (but I can get past the look). The auroma is not too bad at all but I really don't know where they were going for on the flavor. Tastes more like a box of fruit juice than a beer. By far the worst blueberry beer I've ever encountered.

06-26-2008 20:44:53 | More by iceball585
beeragent

1.45/5  rDev -32.9%

I always hate giving beer a bad review, but jeez this isnt even beer. The beer pours a dark raspberry color, forming a 1/2 inch light raspberry colored head. Light hazy lacing. The aroma is all berry, and thats it. The taste is completely dominated by a syrupy berry flavor. This is exactly what St. Ides Berry flavor malt liqour tastes like. Light mouthfeel. Drinkability, its a struggle to get through one, so two is way out of the question. Overall, I bought this for my girlfriend, since she likes the fruit beers, but even she couldnt stand this. Avoid!!!

06-13-2008 22:12:56 | More by beeragent