Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
idResponse

2.6/5  rDev +20.4%

this is the best beer you can possibly buy to get your female companion liquored up quick and in the sack! awesome girly drink! i bet chicks dig it!

got a six pack on a whim because it said 8% and was way different. didn't realize it was AB distributing it until I got to the website here... :( not worth the price then...

As usual, i pour two 12oz bottles into a 24oz cognac glass, because that's what i have to drink from... (it's -awesome- for bombers, holds the whole thing plus head!)

it looks like grape soda! it FIZZES LIKE GRAPE SODA! well i guess it's a little more red-purple than straight grape purple but the head was purple!

it smells as advertised. BLUEBERRIES!

it tastes like blueberry soda... and like the bros say, it tastes like a malt liquor with soda syrup added. that's not to say this is bad, it certainly tastes a whole lot better than most of the other fruit beers i've tried. puts st. ides to shame!

mouthfeel is that of a soda. really. a really sweet sticky soda.

it's drinkable i suppose. refreshing enough, not nasty, easy to slug back, and you don't reallly notice the alcohol, not realllly... it's masked enough for you not to care.

so... got a girl who don't like beer and you wanna take her home and stick it in her ear, get a six of wild blue and make her suck down one or two, she'll be feeling mighty fine and then you'll have her behind!

10-20-2008 06:47:02 | More by idResponse
jsbrendle

1.55/5  rDev -28.2%

when something new appears on the shelf, something that looks mildly interesting... generally I'll give it a try. I had been a big fan of Fancy Pants' blueberry, I felt strangely attracted to this bottle. But this time I did rather regret the decision. that this is an AB product isn't clear from the label, but it is clear from the headache that follows (a problem that I have with most AB product, a piercing headache through the temples after about a half bottle, I must be sensitive to some fermentation by product, or some such thing... only the AB Select didn't do it to me). But I digress...

Let's cut to the chase. Avoid this. If you like beer, you won't like this.

Color, Aroma, Flavor? Well, think "Nantucket Nectar" juice with a splash of soda water to give a light tingle of carbonation. No head to speak of. The bar was too dark to really get a good feel for its color, but it sure looked "blueberry juice"-like to me. No lingering flavor to follow the sweet blueberry juice start, no malt finish or dash of hops to bite back, I really couldn't tell that this was a "beer" at all. At 8% this thing could be a very dangerous thing because you don't really notice the alcohol ... I'd class it along with "Wine Coolers" just with barley as the alcohol source.

10-10-2008 12:05:58 | More by jsbrendle
nrpellegrini

3.75/5  rDev +73.6%

Wow, what is this? Juice or beer?

Its almost like a lambic but too syrupy..
Anyway, it poured a purple/ blue color with no head. Smelled of sweet concentrated fruit. Tasted the same, like a mouthful of blueberry pie filling. It was very sweet but not too much to handle. I could have gone for another and the 8% is a plus, considering you can't taste any of it.

10-04-2008 05:06:59 | More by nrpellegrini
busternuggz

2.35/5  rDev +8.8%

I'd heard the negative hype, and I'm one to defend an underdog (I'll still try, see bottom), but this was not very enjoyable. Thin and cloyingly sweet with an odd pinkish color. Nothing subtle about it, straight blueberry fizz with little body. It tasted like a spritzer or blueberry flavored Boone's Farm. I bought one to bake a cake with because I couldn't find a Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat and didn't want to drink the rest of the 4 oz. remainder after two sips.
In it's defense, it did make a great blueberry fudge cake and my girlfriend liked it, so I gave it some taste points.

10-03-2008 00:53:28 | More by busternuggz
ironchefchris

2.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Hmm...I like this, but don't like it. Quandry. It tastes like Dimatapp and smells like Dimatapp, but it claims to have 8%alcohol, so...i guess that's cool?
Drank it out of a bottle, but i know its purple
Smells like blueberries...mixed with Dimatapp. No beer involved in the scent
Tastes like blueberries and Dimatapp...not beery at all...is this beer?
Easy to drink though and making a connection with my youth, i fell asleep...like i did for years when my parents gave me Dimatapp
Conclusion: I know i said Dimatapp alot, and i know Dimatapp is grape...but this totally reminds me of it. Its not good... but not bas, and may not be a beer. Some will absolutely love it, and others like me, will drink it if it's around and you want something that doesn't taste like beer for some reason

10-03-2008 00:06:02 | More by ironchefchris
mwilbur

1.25/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours like grape juice...dark purplish-red with just a hint of fizz. Very un-beer-like.
S: Fake blueberry juice aroma.
T: Hmmmm...I'm sensing a pattern here...tastes a lot like grape juice. No hops, no malt, just juice with a faint alcohol background.
M: Very little here...no lingering or maturing taste. As close to no mouthfeel as you can get.
D: OK, I thought this was a beer. Good ol' Anheuser-Busch pulled a fast one (including not having it's name on the bottle!). If you want the beer version of communion wine...this is it. I should have researched this one before buying. Oh well...live and learn.

09-30-2008 03:08:17 | More by mwilbur
baos

Indiana

1.02/5  rDev -52.8%

Another flavored brew I bought for my girlfriend because there weren't any Lambics available at that particular liquor store.

A,S,T,M,D: Someone poured concentrated blueberry juice in my Bud Light Ice. Tried this one on two occasions, both time I was only able to muster up 3 to 5 drinks before this swill went back to the water table. Yuck!

09-23-2008 21:41:02 | More by baos
theboozecruise

Louisiana

1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Hmmm, just realized this was an AB product. Awesome. (sarcasm)

Poured this one into a pint glass... a purple/reddish color with a minimal head. There's not too much aroma to it, a hint of blueberry. The taste is SWEET!! Tastes way too much like cough syrup for a blueberry beer.

Ugh, not good at all. Especially trying this one right after a Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat.

And definitely not one I would ever buy again... I'll learn from my mistakes and should have consulted beeradvocate beforehand!

Edit: Couldn't even finish it... bad.

09-20-2008 17:57:06 | More by theboozecruise
mphopkins99

Missouri

1.88/5  rDev -13%

First & foremost, I was put out to find out after the fact that this was an AB product. Thought I was supporting a micro-brewery.

A - Purple almost non-existant head.

S - Ok, a very strong blueberry smell. Almost overpowering.

T - Not good. It tasted more like a blueberry soda than a beer.

M - Very wine like, and not particularly pleasant

D - Not good. It was a chore to finish this and I'm not looking forward to the other 5 in the fridge.

09-17-2008 17:22:49 | More by mphopkins99
Soozy

Tennessee

1.6/5  rDev -25.9%

A-Pours a purple head..yes, purple. Makes me question the types of chemicals they put into it.

S-Smells pretty good...more of a wine smell, definitely strong fruit, a little zest.

T-Tastes like a carbonates wine/alcoholic soda. Really not enjoyable by any means. Fruity, blueberries, strong alcoholic finish. Tastes almost like the Trix taste in Lienenkugal's Summer Wheat.

M-Smooth, creamy, low carb. I look at the bottle and question whether or not it's really a beer or a sparkling wine.

D-Wow, it was hard to finish one of these. I simply just did not enjoy this and would not recommend it. I'm glad I did not pay for this beer.

09-15-2008 03:08:17 | More by Soozy
Yesac

Georgia

1.9/5  rDev -12%

Let's make this quick... eww

A - Pours purple amber.

S - Strong blueberry smell with a hint of malts

T - Strong bland fruity blueberry taste with a malt finish

M - Lots of carbonation and leaves a sticky fruity palate.. yuck

D - The 8% ABV is no where to be found here, all I could taste was blueberries, it's like a juice almost. Easy drinker for those who like the taste.

09-13-2008 14:53:25 | More by Yesac
blackie

1.75/5  rDev -19%

been avoiding this for quite awhile, taken from the landlord's fridge

a: pours a half inch blue-pink head, purple-red in color, okay retention with some lacing...you can only hate here so much, I mean, it's blueberry beer, I expect it to look the part

s: smells of pop tarts from two feet away as I pop the cap, in the glass I get aromas of more blueberry pop tarts and grape jolly ranchers with a generic hop spice, a touch tart but mostly sweet, very wine cooler

m: way undercarbonated, lighter body, but with that gross coating you'd experience with a cheap soda

t: doesn't taste totally fake, I'll give it that, but I do get plenty of artificial pop tart and jolly rancher, but a little redemption in the form of blueberry muffin, initial flavors aren't so bad but the not-nasty-but-not-appreciated aftertaste lasts for a few minutes...and the nastiness has a cumulative effect

d: a bit of a chore to finish, even when half in the bag

"you've hit rock bottom"

dating code 08159

09-13-2008 04:12:08 | More by blackie
beachbum1975

2.8/5  rDev +29.6%

The wife wanted to try a fun fruit beer, my choices were limited, so I grabbed a sixer of this...

Neat 12 ounce bottle with silly dog cartoon thingy on the label. Let's see how "wild" this blueberry beer is...

A: Poured in traditional pint glass at 40 degrees. Holy Fruit Beer, Batman, this one's a clear, purplish red with a light purple fizzy head that fades quickly leaving no lacing and a small purple/off-white collar.

S: Sniffed when cold: Sweet berries and wheat trailing at the end.

T: Very, very sweet mix of berries with blueberry and strawberry being the most dominant flavors. Finishes mildly sour & with high sugars and syrup on the tongue. Almost like a berry Jolly Rancher. As expected, as the beer warms, the malt presence (Like Colt 45) starts becoming more apparent.

M: Lightly syrupy with highly fizzed, champagne-like carbonation. Tasted more like a wine cooler, than a beer. Nice if you want a sweet, easy drinker, but not in my fav 5.

09-10-2008 22:59:23 | More by beachbum1975
oriolesfan4

1.93/5  rDev -10.6%

Bought a single of this for a little over a dollar.

WOW, is all I can say. First off, the dog on the label looks like its kicking some blue feces to the side, which is not a good way to start. Pours a dark purple with a bright pink head.. I never thought I would see the day. Smells overly fruity and tastes like a cranberry juice cocktail. Way too fruity here, had trouble even finishing it. The appearance is pretty cool looking and the 8% ABV is well hidden, but thats about all it has going for it. If you can drink two of these in one sitting you deserve an award.

09-09-2008 23:28:51 | More by oriolesfan4
hossua34

1.75/5  rDev -19%

This is my first review on BA.com. After falling victim to this "beer", I feel obligated to speak on it.

I purchased a 6pack of Wild Blue tonight from Sunoco on Brown Street in Dayton, OH. The box was what sold me... a "premium bluebarry lager" sounded like a great idea, it claimed to have won a gold medal from the North American Brewer's Association in 2006, and most importantly I was intrigued by this "Blue Dawg Brewing" company.

Once I got home and opened my first bottle I realized that something was up. This wasn't lager at all, but something more like alcoholic grape soda. It looks great and smells delicious, and right after pouring it I was actually very hopeful. One sip crushed those hopes. I'll just echo what others have said: this is a flavored malt beverage, not a beer. And it's a poor flavored malt beverage at that.

I was pretty furious when I found out this stuff was brewed by AnheuserBusch. It says nothing about them on the bottle or the box, and I never would have bought it if I had known. That and it also says on the box that it won a 2006 gold medal from the North American Brewer's Association. Yet when you go to the NABA website, 2006 is the only year without the award winners posted. Hmmm. All in all a very deceptive product presentation which I, unfortunately, fell for. I should have known based on the ABV number and the price...

09-08-2008 01:01:11 | More by hossua34
ocelot2500

Arizona

1.4/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours a purplish color with a tight head.

Smell is of blueberry sweetness and nothing else.

Taste is of blueberries, sugar, and alcohol. If someone gave this to me without telling me anything about it I would think it was soda with a little alcohol in it.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy and reinforces the soda feel.

Is as drinkable as soda or juice.

09-07-2008 18:30:54 | More by ocelot2500
Corvato

North Dakota

3.65/5  rDev +69%

As a non-beer drinker, this isn't bad. tastes like blueberries, with little bitterness, just some sweetness

8% alc gets you hit hard and fast compaired to what non-beer drinkers usually have to deal with, at 4-5 % alc.

tastes closer to a mixed drink or wine cooler, but i don't mind, its still good.

09-07-2008 00:03:23 | More by Corvato
JasonA

3.65/5  rDev +69%

EDIT: Drink at your own risk during sporting events. I am confident this is the reason my team lost Saturday. Buyer BEWARE!!!1!11!!

Ive read the reviews, good and bad. Im going to give this Blueberry Lager, Fruit/Veg beer a fair shake.

Pours like a carbonated grape soda, with more remarkable lacing for a lager. Not much head, and it doesnt stay. I would have liked more head.

Smells like a Blueberry Boone's or other malt beverage. I dont get much of any lager, though I might catch grain, though also maybe rice :(. Gonna give it a 3, only because the lager side brings down the Fruit side.

Wow, impressive. Blueberry, light malt, non fructose finish, with what might be a hint of hops. Overall much better than the A and S. I was worried the blueberry sweetness was going to overpower the taste.

Sits very well, blueberry's are well balanced against lager and carbonation. Dissapation in the mouth is perfect.

Not sure I would drink a lot of these, though if blueberry is your thing, this is for you!

09-06-2008 21:03:17 | More by JasonA
BeerCon5

2.38/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clear violet color with very little pinkish head.

The scent is mostly blueberries, nothing else really.

The taste is also mostly blueberries. Very sweet.

Light bodied, fairly thing with some fizzy carbonation.

This is easy to drink one or two after two it is just way too sweet. This reminds me more of a malt beverage than a beer. I don't think I can ever drink this again.

09-03-2008 15:36:29 | More by BeerCon5
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.8/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours a three finger pink head that fades quickly, leaving some lace. Cloudy red color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Slight blueberry nose. Flavor is sweet blueberry more like a fruit drink with hints of hops. The 8% ABV is totally hidden. As a beer it is a one, as a refreshing beverage it's a three or so. $1.33 for a 12oz bottle from Manchester Wine and Liquors Manchester, CT

09-01-2008 22:30:44 | More by jdhilt
beerthulhu

2.28/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured a bright and vibrant cranberry-plum color with a thin, fizzy grape-pinkish hued head that was quick to dissipate leaving no lacing. Gave this an extra half-point for its unique and vibrant color like none I ever seen before.

S: sugary blueberries, grapejuice like aroma.

T: The initial flavor was very juice-like and way, way to sugary. Diabetic shock, sugary. Blueberry juice and loads of sugar and not much else could be detected. Very limited flavor wise and way overkill, could not believe this was even alcohol in this let alone the reported 8.0%abv. Overall a sugary sweeet wine cooler, and have trouble regarding this as a actual beer.

M: light, watery and extremely soft in carbonation, almost juice like consistency.

D: Drinkability suffers here due to its extreme overkill of sugary sweetness. Even one is far to much at times, not bad flavor wise just way overkill hinders this. Keep a glucose meter handy and don't say I didn't warn you.

08-27-2008 22:38:35 | More by beerthulhu
juzy

Alaska

1.75/5  rDev -19%

I can put up with some crap, but I had to dump this one after 2 or 3 sips. Even my fruit beer-loving sister couldn't stomach it.

It's deceiving to start. It looks pretty, nice color and the head retention seemed average, white, small bubbles. Couldn't drink enough to see if the lacing was any good.

The smell was deceiving, not great, I knew from the smell that the taste would be "interesting". Fake blueberry scent, alcohol, reminded me of some of those fake blueberry cereals that are on the market.

Taste was horrid. "Interesting" isn't even the right word here. I didn't know this was an AB product until later that night when I had more time to look over the label. First sip I thought my palate may have been tainted. Second sip, no better, it was strong with unnatural blueberry flavor and that's all I could taste, I couldn't get past it to find anything else. Just gross. I've had waaay better blueberry ales, this doesn't come close by any stretch of the imagination.

Drinkability? Not. Don't even try this for your non- beer friends as an entry level beer. They'll hate beer and you forever!

I don't usually trash a beer like this, I try to find some redeeming quality, but there is none in this

08-20-2008 14:45:27 | More by juzy
thekevlarkid

1.13/5  rDev -47.7%

OK, seriously, can Anheuser Busch make a good beer? WTF is this thing? I poured it and was surprised to see a liquid like fizzy cranberry juice. Magenta beer? Purple foam? Smells like artificial flavor over hard alcohol. Upon tasting I see why. This brew is a whopping 8% and the heavy use of fake flavoring is there to cover the bottom shelf liquor flavor up. There is nothing but fake blueberry to taste. Like a Smirnoff Ice only stronger, sweeter and harder to drink. I can barely call this beer. It's only saving grace is it does have a semi-decent head upon pouring that laces nicely as you drink it. But I was glad when I was done drinking it. Steer clear oh beloved readers.

08-20-2008 14:36:09 | More by thekevlarkid
Halcyondays

1.25/5  rDev -42.1%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours fuschia with a mild off-pink head with good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like Lindeman's Framboise, pretty cool.

S: Medicinal fake blueberry, light malt.

T: Taste is pretty much artificial blueberry, which would be all right if it went for a Kool-Aid vibe, but it had these notes that reminded me of Red Grape Dimetapp - do you remember this stuff? Just not a good flavour, it had hints of bearability, but in the end it wasn't enjoyable.

M: Starts off solid and lightly viscous, but becomes simple carbonation almost immediately, doesn't hold it's own.

D: If I cared to, I could have forced myself to drink this over an hour or so. But it just sat there in my glass, and I eventually dumped it.

08-19-2008 02:33:34 | More by Halcyondays
treyrab

1.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a pint glass

A: The appearance is dark purple, very lively carbonation. I was excited for a second that this could be a framboise-style ale. Wow, I was wrong

S: The smell is of tons of blueberries and some malt kicked around in the nose

T: Well the words drain pourer come to mind on this one. The taste is of blueberries soaked in alcohol with cereal grains thrown into the mix.

Overall, I was not fond of this beer. Many of my friends who know nothing about beer liked it...go figure!

08-19-2008 02:29:28 | More by treyrab