Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +65.8%

Appearance- So cool and unique, kind of a blue purple color with a tiny purple head of foam. Some people may hate but It's something new and fun. I think it looks cool personally. I mean it does fit for a BLUEberry beer.

Smell- Grape soda, especially when first poured.Nosing the glass yeilds a aroma of tart blueberry with some alcohol notes.

Taste- Wow this tastes like Whole Grain blueberry pancakes with syrup. I'm a fan. It's defiantly a sweet beer and the flavor sticks with you. It's a syrupy sweetness yeah, but thats not bad if it fits the taste profile.

Mouthfeel- This is wear it kinda loses me, the sweetness lends it a syrupy consistancy. Not great but not bad. This is probably wear the beer loses alot of people.

Drinkability- It's be pretty easy to drink one or two in an afternoon, after that though I'd probably switch to a cleaner crisper beer. But I'd come back for more the next day.

Overall- Lose the tude and try Wild Blue. Most people hate is solely because of the company that put it out, or they just don't like a sweet beer. Honestly I am thrilled to see a fruit beer that really tastes like sweet fruit.

This is a neat beer, it's a sweet beer. Works great for hop and bitter beer haters. If you Like SA Cherry Wheat you won't be sorry you tried this.

Seru1, Sep 06, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +46.1%

Appearance: As the name implies I was expecting maybe a... wild and blue appearance but it pours almost a cloudy wine color with a likewise purple-esq finger length head; nothing too daunting or wild but pleasing none the less.

Smell: The smell is a pungent mix of semi-artificial raspberries and blueberries,

Taste: It's like a blueberry fruit punch which made me question: is this really a lager? Very sweet and almost feels more like a wine cooler but it was a hot day and this brew just hit the spot.

Mouthfeel: Semi-dry with a alcohol kick at the end.

Drinkability: Could easily session but hey, i love blueberries.

Overall: Going against the curve here a bit but this is my straight up opinion. Would have never known this was a AB product if it wasn't for BA. Although it doesn't hit the lager title head on its definately welcomed as it is quite tasty and smooth. Looking for a lager then look elsewhere but if you want a decent sweet blueberry beer with a moderate abv then this will be your pick.

craftaholic, Sep 06, 2009
1.45/5  rDev -33.8%

Bought a six-pack from the supermarket with a girl who loves beer as much as I do. Took it home and poured it into pint glasses. It pours a clearish-purple with effervescent bubbles and only a little bit of white-ish head. Sparse lacing around the rim as I poked my nose into the glass for a sniff. Very strong blueberry smell followed by the aroma of alcohol (according to the label this beer is 8% ABV!?!) The "natural" flavor (read: chemical flavoring added) of blueberry overpowers the normal hints of hops or malt. Really this beer just tastes like a punchier Boone's Farm or an alcoholic lolipop. It should win over people who don't much like beer, but for a beer enthusiast there isn't much to like. I'd suggest Sweetwater Blue as an alternative to this product if you're interested in berry beer.

kanshiketsu, Sep 04, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -34.7%

This is probably my least favorite beer. The beer pours a bluish tint, not a great amount of carbonation and not too much of a head. It smells strongly of blueberries, which isn't too bad, until you get to the taste. Very fake, very strong blueberry flavor that lingers a bit as well. Not enjoyable in the least. I didn't finish the beer.

feelmefoam, Sep 04, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -38.4%

I would have to say that the most appealing aspect of this beer is it's appearance. Purple in color with a light purple head.
Overall, I'd have to say I was very disappointed... until I found out that AB brewed it... then I wasn't phased in the least.
It's like drinking a very strong (8% ABV) and very sweet wine cooler. I couldn't taste anything that resembled a lager at all.
This is definitely hangover material... I would avoid at all costs.

Yekaterina, Sep 03, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +22.4%

Thanks to Mike and Brandee for bringing this one back. Strange, ugly cartoon dog kicking a blueberry on the label. "Blue Dawg Brewing, Baldwinsville, NY", would have never known this is an AB product if not for BA.
"Premium lager with natural flavors and color from fruit juice"
A big shock for everyone when it was bright purple, (high marks for the uniqueness factor alone) looks like grape soda, thin ring of foam on the pour, then nothing.
The smell is blueberry, no question. Actually was not as artificial smelling as I expected, but still quite strong. Tastes of strong, sweet blueberries. Not much other flavor ar aroma can be picked up over the sweetness. 8% alc is hidden well. Thin to medium body, lots of carbonation keep it light and from becoming overly syrupy.
More of a beer cooler or wine cooler, than a fruit beer. Interesting to say the least.

BigBry, Aug 30, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Poured nicely with a deep purple color and a large pink head that settled rather nicely

S- The blueberry scent wasn't as strong as I expected. It actually smelled more like strawberries to me

T- It was like sugary blueberries, like blueberry pop or gum

M- Felt like I was drinking pop. It was bubbly with a little jump on the tongue and sting in the throat

D- Again, it's like blueberry pop so I could have one or two but the ABV and color is the most appealing aspects of this beer

wangbruins, Aug 28, 2009
2.38/5  rDev +8.7%

I picked this one up out of pure curiosity. Sick of looking at it basically.
A: Pours a transparent cranberry color that produces a very light shade of purple. The head is actually pretty decent and retains well, leaving some lacing along my pint glass. So far, not too bad at all.

S: Not exactly what I had hoped for, but then again, when has Busch ever come thru for me? Very fruity aroma. Artificial blueberries are dominant, raspberry is pretty abundant too. Very artificial and sweet smelling fruits.

T: Similar to the nose. More juice-like than I thought it would be. The only hops I could detect were slightly bittering, no floral. Slight alcohol kick as well. I just realized this was 8%...

MF/D: Less carbonated than others, light body, long raspberry finish coupled with some alcohol.

Not good at all, but a refreshing beer for sure.

scottyshades, Aug 27, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +32.4%

Poured red and gathered a pink head...great for us gals...Head disappeared quite quickly. Nose of bluberries, taste of blueberry champagne, ultra light mouthfeel, and the 8% ABV kicks in quickly. Just a pretty reddish beer, champagne-like aftertaste, and very sweet. Not a beer to overload on, only a true fruity beer lover can appreciate this. Worth a try, the big AB company is trying to make a stake in the micro brewing business, not up to my standards.

thequeen711, Aug 18, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler pint.

A - Blood red and clear with almost no bubbles. A loud fizzy head actually stayed for a while before dropping to a thin layer. Pink pastel colored head.

S - Rich blueberry syrup and sugar (think the pancake syrup from IHOP) but it actually has more of a fresh raspberry aroma than blueberry I think. It's not awful for what it is. No real hints of beer though.

T - Holy hell. It wasn't half bad til the first sip. Pure, overly sugared blueberry kool-ade, and that's insulting kool-ade. A warm alcohol finish just obscures this beer more. It tastes like a cheap vodka drink.

M - Dry, sugary as hell, and sweet with an alcoholic finish and zing.

D - I would give this beer a "1" in this category but the extra half point goes to the college boys who pick up a 6 of this for a party in hopes of getting laid by a helpless woman getting blasted off his 8% fruit syrup crap. Ugh. Appearance and smell had me worried I'd have the only non-D or F review until I had my first sip. Then I realized why it was so low.

BeerFMAndy, Aug 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +80.4%

From a brown 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty blue/voilet color with a small head. Has a strong smell of sweet blueberries. Taste just like it smells. Sweet and fruity. Feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall I was pleasently surprised. This is a quality brew.

tone77, Aug 10, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle with an ugly-arse label into a clear pint glass. (What kind of amateur artwork is that anyways?)
I'm not one to judge a book by it's cover though so let's get to this review...

A - An aggressive pour yielded a one finger purple head that dissipated rather quickly leaving no lacing as I consumed the "lager". The brew itself looks like grape soda, clear purple in color with moderate carbonation. It says on the label that this is made from all natural ingredients and that blueberry sediment may be found in the bottle. I found no sign of any sediment.

S - As soon as I poured this brew into my glass, I noticed an overpowering scent of blueberries. I think you could smell this across the room! The blueberry scent also yielded some alcoholic esters. Kinda reminds me of Mad Dog 20/20.

T - The taste of this one is almost like a child's fruit juice box that was raped by an evil alcoholic. Canned blueberry filling taste with an alcohol bite on the finish. I'm a huge fan of the fruit beer genre but this just doesn't fit. Maybe I was hoping this would fit into almost a lambic category when I saw it on the shelf, but I'm disappointed with the result.

M & D - Thin, almost oily mouthfeel. This may have been a drinkable brew if they hadn't jacked the ABV up to 8%.

I'm not gonna call this a drain pour (I'm from WI so I don't believe in that) but I would not recommend this to anybody.

drizzam, Aug 08, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Kind of a purpley-red with a pinkish head. Not very traditional, but we're talking about a fruit beer here.

Smell: pretty much just blueberries.

Taste: very sweet. A little bit of malt flavor and quite a bit of blueberry, but mostly just sweet. It sort of tastes alright ... it just doesn't taste like beer. Maybe that's intentional.

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

Drinkability: being mostly inoffensively flavored, it has a pretty reasonable drinkability.

Saw this at the store and it looked interesting. It was clearly one of the "mock micros" that seem to be popular among the BMC marketing groups, but I thought it might be worth a try. Frankly, I should have been well-warned by a beer that has its 8% ABV so prominently placed on the label. I'm sure this is popular among the college crowd.

flagmantho, Aug 02, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance - Reddish purple. A little hazy. Short reddish tinted head, quickly dissipates. Color doesn't seem quite right for blueberry.

Smell - Faint almost non-distinct blueberry. Nothing really indicating this is beer-based.

Taste - Very strong, sweet artificial blueberry flavor. Nothing apparent from the beer - more like an alcho-pop. Not real impressive, but not appalling.

Mouthfeel - Light and pretty crisp. Appropriate for style.

Drinkability - Cloying and fake tasting. It might be okay for your non-beer drinking girlfriend though.

scaliasux, Jul 30, 2009
1.2/5  rDev -45.2%

I had low expectations for this one and (amazingly) it still came up short! Purplish color with a pinkish head. It smelled like a blueberry muffin which isn't a bad thing but there were no beer-like aromas at all. It tasted like blueberries and water. Again, lacking beer-like qualities. Mouthfeel was watery and thin. This is not drinkable. I could not finish it. My wife loves blueberries and she didn't like it either.

zeff80, Jul 27, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -11%

The first thing that I noticed was that this was a lager and not an ale. Sounds like a refreshing summer beer. I poured into a pint glass and was surprised by the purple color. It looks like a grape pop (that's what I call soda). It smells syrupy sweet. I've had blueberry ales, but this seems too artificial. I kind of get a hint of beer smell in there. It tastes sweet at first, and then finishes tart. It is way too artificially sweet. I like fruit beers that have a hint of fruit, not making it the focal point. I can't see drinking more than one of these. I should follow this up with a Stone Ruination. That would be a real shock to the taste buds, going from sweet to bitter.

buschbeer, Jul 26, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Dark purple color with a light purple head. I've tried fruit beers before and some aren't too bad, so this looked somewhat appealing.

Smell: Strong, sweet blueberry smell. A little overpowering.

Taste: It tastes a lot like a blueberry soda. At first I didn't mind it, but as the drink wore on, it just got too sweet for me.

Mouthfeel: Thin, feels like a soda.

Drinkability: Bad. The first few sips weren't awful; in fact, I kind of liked it. However, by the time I neared the end of the bottle, it just became a chore to finish. It's too sweet, and the blueberry became too overpowering. This is definitely not something I will be getting again.

civilizedpsycho, Jul 24, 2009
1.4/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

First off, what is wrong with me, that I keep falling for this trick of fruit beers. It always sounds like a good idea but I always get let down ( excet the Wheach). Secondly, what is wrong these brewers that think a fake fruit, heavy syrupy flavor is what anyone wants to drink. Best thing about this beer was that I got a bottle I can use for homebrewing. Thus beer pours a raspberry color with the same color head. Smell is of tart fruit. Taste is the same but with the added bonus of a thick sickly sweet syrupy fruit flavor. Tough to get tough to get through this one, took about 30-40 min. Not what I was hoping for on a hot summer day in Oklahoma. Oh well you live you learn, well at least some people do...I'm sure i'll be back.

webbcreative, Jul 19, 2009

Drank cold out of the bottle. I have little reason to think pouring this brew into a glass is gonna change anything. Very tart berry bitterness present with a strong booze kick. Very little if any lager flavor.

There are much better beers out there, but if drank quickly this is kinda refreshing.

mtnbikerpa, Jul 15, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

holy crap this was bad!! got it from a friend because he was instantly put off by it after one sip. I thought I'd be the better man, I was wrong. poured out a raspberry color and smelled like a tart red wine? no head unless aggressively agitated, and then dissipates quickly. tastes like a wine cooler, overly aggressive blueberry and alcohol flavors. this one got dumped after about 1/4 of the glass. would not buy this if you want to have a beer, because this is not beer.

sonicstylee, Jul 12, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -25.6%

app.- Dark purple with a light purple head looks interesting.

smell- Smells like sparkling grape juice, thats about it.

Taste- Tastes like somebody took a grape soda and tossed a shot or two of blueberry vodka in it. I cannot tell that it's beer.

Mouthfeel- Hard to drink very heavy and syrup like to the palate, worst mouthfeel out of anything I've tried.

Drink.- This was a laborious 12 ounces , it was quite difficult to finish the glass took me about 20 minutes and gave me a nice buzz

It's just not beer to me.

bgreg3, Jul 10, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -34.7%

Received this bottle for free from my buddy who bought a six pack, drank half of one and then gave the rest away. I have to admit that similar to bud clamato I have always had a sick curiosity to try this. My morbid curiousity never reached the point of actually spending money to try it however. Lucky for me my buddies sometimes make ill-advised beer purchases.

A- Wild Blue pours a syrupy dark purple, with a fizzy light purple head. Does not look like beer.

S- Smells like cheap berry flavored pop mixed with a couple of shots of Popov.

T- Tastes like cheap artificial berry flavoring with some adjunct malt flavor at the end. Haha, the alcohol is well hidden though. If you told me this was bad soda instead of beer I might just believe it.

M- Thick, syrupy and unpleasant.

D- This would have been my second drain pour ever but my girlfriend tried it and loved it. She said it was like a strong wine cooler.
Stay away from this one.

Shumista, Jul 09, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours plumish purple with minimal light pink foam--already not what I was expecting (although I guess I'm not surprised). Nose is of candy-like blueberry and cheap beer, almost stale. The smell is really not very enticing to say the least. The taste is much more like bad grape soda than blueberry beer. It seems to get better now that I'm expecting more of a soda flavor than beer flavor. I can't get around this flavor that feels so artificial. In fact, if you told me it was soda I might believe you. Pretty light bodied, which frankly, is pretty impressive for a beer with 8% abv. Not very drinkable in my mind, although I'm a pretty staunch hophead and perhaps this beer has its place in someone else's fridge. I suppose I was hoping for more beer essence and far less fake fruit taste. If one wanted to have a beer like this, I would just get a true lambic. I don't believe I will be drinking this one again.

cdpike, Jul 08, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -13.2%

Not the worst, but certainly not worth your time.

Appearance: It's purple. Beer should not be purple. It seems unnatural. This shows that they actively added coloring to make this unique or gimmicky.

Smell: This beer smells worse than it tastes. Skunky.

Taste: It tastes like someone dropped grape soda in a batch of yuengling. This does not taste like blueberries were in the mix, just flavoring

Mouthfeel: Nothing crazy, but this is not a taste you want to linger, which it does.

Drinkability: There is no need to drink this beer if you have any other beer around for the same price.

Note: My friend gave this to me, toting it as "the worst beer ever" not true, it's tolerable, but it's pretty bad.

runesead, Jul 01, 2009

This beer is, as they say, as close to a wine as they come - but it is not - it is just a good healthy, frothy lager. It pretends to be nothing else.

Blueberry is an understatement. The taste itself is sweet like blueberries right off the vine. It helps me recall an earlier day when beer was made from the ingredients that one found locally. It has no bad aftertaste and is truly a delicious brew.

Those who find this beer a bad option must be stuck in the mindset that beer must taste one way and one way only....but Wild Blue stands on its' own. The only surprising thing about Wild Blue is that it is made by those who bring us Budweiser. Will it hold up through the transition period to new ownership? I do not know - but if it does - then maybe reviewers who skewered this unique brew will be able to revisit and maybe change their minds.

TexSpence, Jun 18, 2009