Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev +14.7%

appearance: Blue, very blue

smell: heavy bluberry fruit smeel

taste: The blueberry is overwhelming, but it is what it is. beer made with blueberries, hardly a beer though, more liek a lambic

mouthfeel: thin not thick. good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: a great session beer with low taste. Bud drinkers would highly approve. Not a great Beer advocate beer though

CampusCrew, Jan 27, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Looks like grape juice. Small pinkish head which turns into a thin film and leaves minimal lacing.

Smells of blueberries and children's vitamins.

Tastes like blueberry juice which is past it's sell by date. Kind of musty and without charm.

Mouthfeel was thick and flat, with a dry finish.

This is not a beer I'd be interested in having again. Thankfully, a friend of mine (who likes this beer) gave me a bottle, so no money was wasted. I finished the glass but that's all I'd ever care to have.

JBogan, Jan 24, 2009

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear purple hue (never thought I would say that about a beer), with it's purpleness only surpassed by Lindemans Framboise. Looks like carbonated grape juice (or should I say blueberry juice). The light purple head slowly settles to a thin light purple cap. Spots of purple lacing here and there.

The blueberry aroma is best detected far away from the beer. After opening I could immediately smell blueberry syrup. After I poured and let the beer sit, the entire room filled with the aroma. Up close, it's a little bit of sweet sugary blueberry, a touch of malt grain, and a little bit of the alcohol.

The flavor is a cloyingly sweet blueberry flavor mixed with an extremely tart... something. It's such an unpleasant taste that I don't see how anyone can drink this. Am I drinking a blueberry Flanders Red?

I just can't enjoy this one. It's an extreme sweetness along with an extreme tartness that just shouldn't be there.

BeerSox, Jan 23, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

A - Is this beer? Looks like Welch's grape juice. Magenta head lasts for a couple of seconds, then settles as "purple stuff".

S - Again: Is this beer? Smells like blueberry ... sweet and sticky, strawberry-honey shisha. Wafts dry, like seltzer. No hint of the brew it purports to be.

T - Sugar, sugar, sugar, blueberry muffin. I can only guess they labeled this as beer because of the persistent and sinister taste of grain alcohol that accompanies this candied quaff. Fortified grape juice served over sugar cubes, splash of soda water.

M - I dont think I can stomach another. Reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Bart and Milhouse drink the pure syrup squishee; I think I'm having mild sugar hallucinations.

Sporkus, Jan 17, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +82.6%

Color: burgundy

Smell: little bit of alcohol. blueberry of course

Taste: obvious blueberry - not overwhelming or too sweet/rich. its a lager so its clean and crisp

Mouthfeel: like a sparkling juice with low carbonation. clean and crisp. light body

Notes: very unique. i know that this one is a hit or miss. its not bad but i dont think i could drink too many at once, unless me and a buddy took a case camping up in canada a handful of years ago and it was all we had. great "beer" for those who otherwise dont like the taste of beer

Frosty80, Jan 16, 2009
1.1/5  rDev -49.5%

I first tried this brew, if it can so be called, a few months back. When I came across it I was still early on in my beer-drinking career, so to speak, and spotted it in the cooler section of my local "mega mart".
After having had good experiences with all other fruit beers in the past, I assumed this would be at least a passable beer.
However, I was sadly mistaken.

As other BA's have said, this beer hits the palate like a train wreck. I was smacked, hard, with the taste of artificial blueberry flavoring, and an aspertame-like sickly bitter-sweetness. I tried to enjoy this beer, I really did. When it was ice cold, I could actually squeeze it down with a shiver, however, once it got closer to room temperature the drinkability dropped drastically.
I think at one point I may have even gagged.

Drink at your own risk, I'm remarkably unimpressed for the price.

TehAnkh, Jan 16, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgian globe. This color of this beer reminds me of what cheap, balloon on bottle wine looks like when made using Welch's Grape juice. Bright purplish blue with a big fizzy head that disappeared like fizz on a pop, leaving no lacing. The head retention sucks too. The aroma is nasty artificially sweet. Like sweet n' low mixed with juice box blueberry juice. The flavor reminds me of a cheap blueberry soda. Artificial sweeteners mixed with soda water. The only "good" thing I can say about it, is that Wild Blue hides the 8% alcohol very well. The mouthfeel is, well, like a artificially sweetened juice box. It really leaves a gross aspartame like sweetness on the palate. This is really a crappy beer but I can see it definitely going well with the Sorostitute crowd.

hwwty4, Jan 11, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -25.2%

Well nothing really good to say about this one. It smells like weak syrupy grape cool aid. As far as taste goes, it tasted like my daughters grape juice box. Sweet and well... sweet. The only thing this has going for it is the 8% ABV. It's just nasty...

Buggies, Jan 07, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

A: Brownish purple with a purple-tan head. Feel like its rare that a beer should justifiably look like this.
S: Meh. Smells like blueberries but fabricated--more of blueberry favoring or syrup.
T: Pretty unpleasant. Tastes like a Miller Lite poorly mixed with blueberry syrup. A Miller Lite in itself would be doable, but mixing that with the overly sweet blueberry just isn't enjoyable.
M: Nothing special; high carbonation and pretty thin.
D: First beer at a New Years party--since no one else would drink it I decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the first few sips before having to move on to something else.

lhaqq, Jan 04, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance: Pours pink, with a large pink head. Lots of bubbles hence lots of carbonation.

Smell: Fruity Fruity Fruity. Smells like boxed wine.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, the amount of sugar can be felt on the tounge.

Taste: Tastes just like a cheap wine disguised with blueberry additive, although the alcohol isn't noticable.

Drinkability: Drinkable if you forget your drinking a beer. If you expected beer, you might wanna pour this one out.

Overall: I was looking for a different fruit beer I havn't tried before, saw this on the shelf at my local grocery and decided to try it. The initial pour had me look at the label again to make sure I didn't accidently buy wine coolers. The first taste had me looking at the lable once more. With an 8% AVB it wasnt long after bottle 4 that I was feeling in a party mood. Unless you're trying to party without regards to taste, I don't reccomend Wild Blue.

LordFinley, Jan 02, 2009
1.27/5  rDev -41.7%

Vibrant purple Kool Aid/grape soda appearance accompanied by a brisk fine short lived burst of carbonation. The aroma is mild sour blueberry but for a beer so bright and similar to a soda I am disappointed by the meager aroma. Tastes like a soda I can imagine a bit of wheat flavor in the tail end. Fizzy first then flat. Terrible head retention and thin. It has been a while since I did not finish a bottle of "beer," but I could not finish this stuff. If you want a soda, buy a soda it will taste better. If you want a beer, buy one it will taste better. If you are a teen male looking for a bubbly sweet alcohol laden beverage to subjugate the opposite sex for the evening, well Anheuser-Busch has created the product for you.

BWH3, Dec 31, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I snagged this brew as it was something I hadn't tried at the store I went to. Upon bringing up the page, the ratings at the top were a little disheartening. Here goes anyways!

A: Deep red, kinda purplish. The brew colour itself isn't horrible, but the pink head that tops it is a bit of a turn-off. Very unusual... it does have a fair bit of stickiness, but when it's more staining that anything.

S: Some malty warmth, but it almost becomes more bready... with the strong blueberry scent, it's more like a blueberry pie. In that sense, it is alright, but as a beer, it's not quite right.

T + M + D: The blueberry is VERY sweet and incredibly overbearing. Mouthfeel adds a bit of a stickiness that doesn't help that at all. I find myself unable to detect any real 'beer qualities' in it, just a heavy and syrupy blueberry + alcohol. The carbonation is that of a big fruity spritzer, and after a while it gets to be a bit too much and hard on the stomach. Not recommended at all, unfortunately!

Proteus93, Dec 30, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

A: Ruby red and purple body. Very pink, almost dark pink, head. Holds well and leaves some nice lace.
S: The nose is delicately fruity. Like a small bowl of fresh crushed berries, more raspberry than blueberry.
T: The flavor is all juice, bright and tart. Like "Juicy-Juice"; and again, more raspberry than blueberry. No signs of malt or hops except for hints in the lingering, mostly berry-ish finish. Steady underlying bitterness. Some alcohol becomes apparent halfway through. One-sided except for the underlying alcohol.
M: Medium bodied. Dextrinous edge. Delicately bristling carbonation.
D: Well, I'm not even sure you can call this beer. Not really. It's like a fruity malternative on steroids... the beer equivalent of Boone's Farm. Drinkable? Well, yes, but why not just add some grain alcohol to fruit juice?

trafordboy, Dec 23, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +29.8%

A- Poured similar to a grape soda color. Clear reddish purple with a small grape juice looking reddish purple head that quickly dissipates.

A- Blueberries.

T- Blueberries dominate the taste. It's not a bad flavor, just a bit overpowering. Though paring a fruit flavor with a Light American Pilsner it should be expected.

M- Light body medium-light carbonation.

D- I found it to be much too sweet for a beer. It was almost soda-like.

gpogo, Dec 23, 2008
3.03/5  rDev +39%

Wild Blue is a clear, very sparkling, magenta beer with a small, dense amethyst head. The aroma is sweet with notes of grape peel, cider, blueberry and cork. It has a medium body, papery, syrupy and a little flat. It's reasonably smooth, but the finish is rumbly. It tastes cidery and very sweet. There are notes of blueberry, concord grape and cranberry. It's pretty rough and grumbly under the sweetness. My brother told me it's something for perverts to give to young girls on the beach. I'd take this over a Bud any time.
(rated Jul 15, 2008)

yesyouam, Dec 20, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Haha, like others have said, I too did not know this was from Anheuser-Busch. Picked up a bottle the other day and poured it into a pint glass.

A: color is an opaque raw umber/mahogany mix; small raspberry colored head with no minimal lacing

S: blueberries--nothing else

T: tastes like Berry flavored Gatorade with Rum added to it

M: over carbonated and way to thick (w/ syrup)

D: I was tempted to pour it down the drain, do not want again

Jablonski, Dec 19, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -16.1%

Was curious to try this as I had never had any offerings from Blue Dawg Brewing and I am a fan of Sweetwater Blue. Did not realize this was and AB product untill now that I'm entering my review on here.

Appearance: Pours redish pink with little to no head that fades quickly.

Smell: Stong fruity blueberry and not much else I was concerned that this would be an indication of the overpowering taste.

Taste: Well it's definately blueberry and lots of it. Very sweet (too sweet for me) like candy syurp or sugar drink. Little indication of it being a beer at all except for Lager in the name. With and 8%abv there is little if any taste of warm alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Think sugary syurp, this creates the body and finishes sticky sweet like a kids juice drink.

Drinkability: I finished 3/4 of this bottle and just couldn't do the rest. I also let my wife (a all but non beer drinker) taste to see if maybe a different drinker might enjoy, she did not. This is too sweet for me and little to nothing that makes you feel like you are drinking a beer. I would say go to Sweetwater blue for more of a blueberry beer and less of a fruit sugar drink.

mbenthall, Dec 15, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -17.4%

i got this one from bort11 in the good/bad/ugly bif. thanks tim! also happy to have shared this one with Viggo as his 1500th review. woohoo!

12oz bottle. sampled dec 14/08.

right away i'm confused. it's a blueberry beer, yet pours crystal clear deep red with a bright pink head. the head drops slowly and leaves a few spots of lace.

aroma is odd, but not entirely bad. artificial fruit flavouring, most resembling juice berry gummies. kind of sweet and a mix of raspberry, strawberry, and blueberry. hint of alcohol. bit of cough syrup. there's some lingering sweat sock and nutsack in the background too...

the taste is a whole new level. while the aroma wasn't entirely offensive, the taste pretty much is. sticky sweet artificial fruit flavouring with a bit of alcohol and sweat sock thrown in. you swallow and it keeps kicking you once it's gone. cough syrup. juice berries again. the alcohol is more warming than it should be. as i attempt to drink more, it morphs into bad memories of barbarian cooler and the first time i got drunk - and horribly sick. as soon as i make this connection i can instantly feel my stomach starting to turn and it gets quite hard to go back for more.

mouthfeel is ok. medium-high carbonation level. light body.

drinkability is not great. sticky sweet juice berries with several unpleasant dimensions thrown in. i think this one was half decent when opened, but grew more offensive the more i tried to drink it.

grub, Dec 15, 2008
1.45/5  rDev -33.5%

Big thanks to grub for sharing this Good, Bad and Ugly BIF gem. What a way to ring in review #1500!

Pours a clear dark red, cranberry juice colour, thick light pink head forms, lots of lace, good retention, forms a solid layer. Smell is fucked, like feet and sweaty balls mixed with some fruit juice. My hockey bag with fruit febreeze, kind of gross, blueberry juice, but kind of gets worse with every smell. Taste is like salty fruit juice, mixture of balls, cold medicine, alcohol, homeless people, and sugar. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, syrupy, with medium carbonation. Wow, this is special stuff. Thanks Russ!

Viggo, Dec 15, 2008
2.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Can you say wine cooler on steroids? Seriously this beer is very different from anything else I've ever tasted. Very fruity, a dominent taste of blueberries and other tart fruity flavors. Pours a deep reddish purple. Has a tart after taste, not very pleasent at all. At 8% Abv its ease of consumption is suprisigly easy. If you're looking for something crazy and different give it a try. Not a beer in the traditional sense by any means.

Schwarz04, Dec 12, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Bluish purple with a dark amber base. Almost like some blue and purple were painted onto an amber canvas. Medium carbonation which sticks to the side of the glass at first. Not much of a head. Dissipates quickly.

S: Smells like, well, blueberry; with a slight malty-ness, or yeasty-ness. . . hard to say as the blueberry really is overpowering.

T: A bit of a bitter dull malty base, and somehow sweet at the same time, with strong blueberry flavor.

M: Initial taste is a bit shocking. Aftertaste is better than the initial taste. Sticks to the inside of the mouth, and lingers. Overwhelms the tastebuds, a bit.

D: Drinkable, but the blueberry is too overpowering. Also, the strong alcohol taste really puts this brew out of balance.

This is not that bad if you take it for what it is, a novelty item. If you're just looking to drink a good beer, this is not necessarily where to look. Again, if you can get past the fact that it's a novelty, change of pace sort of thing; and not a serious attempt at making a high quality lager. . . it's a strangely refreshing, serviceable quaff. I would, however, refrain from more than one at a time.

bmwats, Dec 08, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +56%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

I knew this beer would get horrible reviews on the account that it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You beer snobs are so predictable. However, I love blueberries and this is very intensely flavored with them. This is what you'd get if you combined 3/4 beer with 1/4 blueberry schnapps. It hardly beer, but it is different and satisfies my blueberry craving quite nicely. I doubt I could stomach more than 2 or 3 of these at a time. I'm not even done with the first one and my brain is already feeling slightly compromised.

abriggs1, Dec 07, 2008
2.93/5  rDev +34.4%

I got this for SWMBO. She asked for it in a "pretty glass" which made me break out the nice short champagne flutes. It's impressive what the right glassware does.

A) Nice deep blue hue that blends and fades nicely at the edges. Holds a purple head that clings to the sides leaving full curtains of thick sticky lace.

S) Surprisingly, it smells like blueberries. Of course it's overly sweet and has a cough syrup edge, but in general, it does what it says on the tin: blueberries.

T) This is where we go off the tracks. Super Sweettart grape flavor that is candy coated goo. The finish is lasting and actually much nicer than the full taste.

M) Bubbly, thin, puckering dryness wraps it up.

D) Wifey liked it. I'm worried about the chemicals from all the "natural flavoring" I just ingested, but the beer itself isn't too bad.

HardTarget, Dec 01, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours Windex blue with a moderate, but quickly dying, skyblue head. Looks like soda pop. Nothing beery whatsoever.

Smells like soda pop and solvent alcohol. Doesn't smell like blueberries, really, so much as it smells like synthetic blueberries, like blueberry flavored hard candy. (Note: as it got warmer, the more realistic blueberry scent flavor increased.)

Tastes sharply sweet, big nodes of hard candy and an offputting zing of astringent alcohol. No hops, no malt, no nothing. Just candy and alcohol.

I'd rank this much closer to an alcopop than a beer. Actually, as disgusting as Hard Lemonades are I'd probably take one over this. And as it comes with a premium beer pricetag, this is one you will be best off avoiding.

mynie, Nov 24, 2008
1.08/5  rDev -50.5%

I picked up a six pack of this one evening as my local Bevmo had this under the "Craft Brew" section, next to Sea Dog.

Cracked open a bottle and the smell that came out was beyond offensive, it was like someone had let a child's juice ferment. Thinking that was the worst of it I poured the beer in a pint glass and it was just an odd looking brew with an almost syrup look to it, including the head.

Taking a drink of this was not a pleasant experience either, just way too sweet and almost more like a syrupy lambic mixed with a wine cooler, just not good.

Needless to say I ended up just throwing away the other 5. I should also make a note here that I did not notice it was an A.B. product until after I had finished it, so consider that a blind taste test from a guy who usually doesn't enjoy their stuff.

ChillMike, Nov 23, 2008