Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -41.2%

This was awful. Just terrible. I haven't experienced a drain pour until now, and I've had some brews that I really didn't like very much.

Pours a weird, deep purple color with a pure pink head that had almost no retention but left some lacing down the glass. The lacing was decent, but I couldn't bring myself to up the appearance rating given the awful color of the body and the head.

Smells like blueberry. artificial, overpowering, and completely unpleasant blueberry. Can only get a hint of a flavor from the actualy lager it apparently originated as.

Taste follows suit with the smell, but a tiny bit worse. The blueberry is equally as powerful, but tastes even more artificial than it smells. Also mixes horribly with the malty flavor of the original, presumably also awful, lager. really bad.

I had just finished a sea dog blueberry wheat beer, which I thought was decent, so I figured I'd give this one a shot. What a mistake. drain pour.

Grape juice purple in the glass with a fizzy head that fades instantaneously with no lacing whatsoever.

Aroma, tart blueberry and grape with a hint of alcohol. Smells more like a wine cooler than a beer.

The flavor is overwhelmingly sweet grape and blueberry flavors, with next to no hint of malt or hop flavorings. Cloyingly sweet with only a marginal blueberry tartness for an attempt at balance.

Mouthfeel while not thin is somewhat watery and somewhat undercarbonated.

An alcoholic kool aid? A malt cooler? A blueberry beer soda? Not something I'd want to experience twice.

I had to dump this one... I couldn't bare it. The smell alone was

so horrid, that I couldn't get it past my nose. I took a few sips

and I felt like I was drinking blueberry flavored piss. I've heard

mixed reviews of this brew (if you can even call it that), but I for

one would highly recommend never buying this beer. I even got

curious and aged one for a couple of months, thinking that

maybe there could be something to this beer, but again I was

wrong. It was still the same with a lot less kick. PLEASE AVOID

THIS BEER AT ALL COSTS! !!

1.2/5  rDev -45.7%

Curiosity killed the cat, bought as a single for a buck-fity...surely I have spent that much on worse? First of all, what the hell is that on the label? Is that supposed to be a dog? Looks like part slug/hippopotamus/overgrown termite! Already unappealing and I have not even cracked the crown yet. Poured from a 12 oz bottle and have forever tainted my La Fin Du Monde tulip glass. Looks like sparkling grape juice. Purple beer with a purple foam, how interesting.

Smells like Welch's grape juice with some fruit-laden trash can punch thrown in for some alcoholic content. In no way, shape or form does this resemble a beer so far.

Taste is tart and sweet artificial blueberry flavor. It is not a total sweet sugar-alco-pop though. The 8% ABV is hidden well, no surprise there as this is really just a panty-dropper masquerading as a malted barley beverage. To have the word "lager" on the label is extremely misleading and just flat out wrong. Still waiting for a hint of beer to show up to the party. No? Ok then, I will proceed to dump about 3/4 of this down the drain. Stay far, far away. I will not be touching this bitch with a 10-foot pole ever again.

1.3/5  rDev -41.2%

Appearance: clear, blueish-purple in color, 1/4 inch head, minimal carbonation

Smell: sour blueberries and grape juice

Taste: spoiled grape juice, alcohol, some hops, and artificial blueberry

Mouthfeel: high carbonation--fizzy, light body, sticky sweet with a sour middle

Drinkability: This tastes like spolied grape juice with maybe a bit of children's medicine. Overly harsh and sour, this was hard to finish. One and done and just a step above Cave Creek Chili as my least favorite beer.

1.41/5  rDev -36.2%

ahhh. I head a bit of hype about it from some no BA friends, the same friends who's number one beers are fat tire and yeungling, I thought I would give it a whirl. The smell is off right from bat. It smells of fruit (not lager should smell of fruit), Low grade vodka, and sweetener. The nose carries unfortunately right to the palate. It taste like someone put sweetener in this beer and then when you weren't looking put a splash of low grade vodka, really bad, possibly the worst i've ever tried. It does have 8 Percent ABV but its not quality and I struggle to believe this beer is adjunct free. Someone cut some corners on this brew. It does provide a purpose and it gets people away from the big BMC beers but it's not a huge gap. If you are a BA, don't get this beer, this is about as worse as it gets.

3.74/5  rDev +69.2%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a dark purple color and poured a big pink head. Very strange for sure. The head however did not last long. Lacing was good. The smell was great, very berry for sure. However it was a very dry beer I thought. Not bad for an odd-ball beer.I would drink again though mostly just to freak people out.

1.37/5  rDev -38%

So my wife was going on and on about this great blueberry beer she tried at her friends. The couple makes thier own brew and always has great stuff on hand, so I hear her out. I hear her out only to be able to find the beer readily available at a local Meijer...which worried me. THEN I saw the abv % on this and thought she might be onto something...so lets find out, shall we?

(a) What the fuck did I just pour? I'm 99.99% sure this stuff will stain my pilsner. Pours thick like sno-cone syrup...hell, is it sno-cone syrup? Next to no head, dark beet red. (1.5/5)

(s) For a blueberry beer I'm having a hard time smelling just blueberries.It does smell like a frozen bag of mized berries, but much heavier like a cheap flavored wine. (2/5)

(t) I'm debating hitting her right now. I cant believe I was seen buying this shit. I feel like I should be using this as a mixer. No taste of blueberries, just thick nasty sugar. This stuff is even worse than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. (1/5)

(m) Only thing about mouthfeel I like is the little burn from the 8%abv, but its not enough to save this brew. (2/5)

(d) How's this for drinkability. Im not finishing this. I'm a stubborn man, but Im 100% ok drain-pouring this one. I think this would make a great starter beer for the 300lb 15 yr-old who dreams of weekends filled with smirinoff and mojitos. I really feel like having a sit down with my wife over this one...and to think I was debating taking her to Dark Lord Day with me...geesh(1/5)

2.73/5  rDev +23.5%

Didnt know what to expect. But thought - how bad can blueberry lager be? So I tried it out, and its OK...but not my favorite.

The color and aroma was nice, but it lacked somehow in flavor. I was expecting the blueberry to play a big part in the flavor, and really feel like it fell short. I was also expecting a tartness to it. Neither were apparent. Faint blueberry taste, not tart, no real hoppy taste. Just kinda fell flat. I'm not gonna say its terrible, but will probably not try it again. The lacing resembles a Lindeman's, but lacing means nothing if the flavor isnt quite right. To me its compareable to a mich ultra with a blueberry in the glass. Which was not what i was looking for. As for the alcohol content. It is 8%, but kinda gives you a kick in the pants. I agreed with another reviewer that said seemed more like 18%.

1.56/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Wow, for as good as the Blueberry Oatmeal Stout is, this is the opposite. Looks like a standard yellow beer with some fruit in it making it a weird mix, lots of carbonation. Aroma, not bad, blueberry and alcohol. So far, so good.

But ugh, the taste, not like beer, its like a vodka blueberry shot. Way too sweet to be a beer. And it stays that way throughout. No thanks. Alcohol seems like it is 18%, not 8%. . .

2.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Ah, behold Wild Blue Blueberry Lager

I don't really know what I was expecting with this beer. I saw it sitting there on the shelf, and it looked different, and it looked exciting. One of my friends from Boston told me that up north they'll sometimes serve lagers with blueberries in the glass. So this was probably something like that, right?

Well, mostly wrong. But I didn't think it was absolutely terrible. Don't get me wrong, I took my first sip and made a bit of an awkward face. I just on BA really fast to get the consensus, and I think all the awful ratings started to sway me. But I got ahold of myself and really tried to figure this one out.

It isn't very hoppy or malty, or anything like beer really. But it faintly resembles one. I don't think it is quite as bad as a blueberry-flavored malt liquor. But it ain't that much better.

The color's about what I'd expect: Pinkish-purple. Not the most appetizing thing to look at, but whatever.

I think the main thought that turned me off with this beer was whether or not all this flavoring was artificial. The front claims that it has "Natural flavors and color from fruit juice." That can't be all though. Just too sugary. A "bitch beer," if you will. My girlfriend would love this stuff. And while I, too, can appreciate an 8% ALC/VOL rating, I just don't dig this stuff that much.

1.41/5  rDev -36.2%

12oz bottle, bottled late 2009. Another freebie sample from the Bud distributor. Not really my style and would never seek out a beer such as this normally.

Pours purple/red with a pinkish-purplish-whitish head. Interesting lookin'.

Smells like blueberry and grape-flavored children's cold medicine.

Tastes pretty much exactly like generic brand grape soda or a very sweet grape wine cooler. I wonder how the sugar content of this compares to actual grape soda. Lot of artificial flavoring. Some alcohol.

I like how the commercial description makes sure to mention hops and malts cuz you wouldn't know they were present otherwise. A kiddie beer.

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours reddish-purple with a purple yogurt looking head.

Smells like a monster energy drink or a red bull. Blueberry and boysenberry are in there but the energy drink thing is unavoidable.

The taste is sweet and sugary, similar to a blueberry soda that has gone flat. The alcohol is hard to detect, which is its only saving grace. Not appealing, couldn't or wouldn't drink another one. Even one has its challenges.

1.54/5  rDev -30.3%

To start with, I adore blueberries. Fresh, ripe, and real blueberries, that is. Nonetheless, this Nehi grape-colored debacle may say it contains "natural flavors and colors", but beer it is not. And I question the "blueberry" content as well. Maybe the 8% ABV is meant to obscure the fact that this one commits abominable and atrocious acts on the tastebuds? It tastes like an alcoholic grape soda, with no discernable hint of hops, just a weird, artificial fruity flavor that lingers like a Wild Irish Rose version of beer. Ugh. Avoid.

1.77/5  rDev -19.9%

well its a blue berry lager, so i was thinking a sweet blueberry taste, but what i got was almost Robitussin. the color, was a crimson, not any touch of the blue or really even a purple color., it went down smooth but for being a blue berry, not impressed, try blue points.

1.74/5  rDev -21.3%

this beer belongs in the NOT top ten for sure. Only after long deliberation did i even buy this beer, under the assumption it was a craft malt beer with some blueberry nodes. (the 8% wasn't exactly a turnoff either). it pours a dark purple head with slightly good retention. but after a couple sips, the cough syrup taste was too overwhelming for me. im not too ashamed to say that half of this beer went down the sink. good price though if this sort of thing is up your alley.

1.44/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured into a goblet that will probably never speak to me again.

A: Kool-Aid red, with a fizzy pinkish purple cap. Head retention is actually OK, and a little lace is left behind. Could be mistaken for a cranberry lambic from a long ways away.

S: Super sweet artificial blueberry starts things out. It's joined by a tingle of straight alcohol. That's pretty much it.

T: Things actually get worse once the beer hits the mouth. The unnatural fruit sweetness from the nose hits hard out of the gate. Tastes more like a wine cooler than beer. Unbridled alcohol mixes with the fruit to create a cough syrup meets rocket fuel effect. The beer's flavor never really went away once I was finished.

M: The body is very light for this much alcohol. Carbonation feels OK.

D: This is one of the worst beer's I've had in a long time. 2010's worst beer experience thus far. Fruit flavored malt liquor was the thought that stuck with me as I drank. I came very close to pouring this one down the drain, but a friend of mine had bought it and I didn't want to be rude. A beer I will be giving a wide berth to next time I spot it in the store.

2.21/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a dark purple with a light purple head that left a slight cap. Not what I was expecting, looks more like some sort of malt beverage or wine cooler.

The smell is nothing but fruit. Blueberries with a very light nose of wheat, maybe.

Like it looks, tastes like Blueberry flavored 7-up. I was really hoping this would be a lager with some blueberry after tastes but nope.

Feels like I'm drinking pop.

If I wanted to drink pop I would have bought a six pack of Dr. Pepper and a fifth of Southern Comfort to go with it.

4.5/5  rDev +103.6%

this is the best blueberry beer i've had. my blueberry kick started when i went to maine this past oct 2009. i had seadog and national harbour. every bar in maine practically served blueberry beer. when you get it on draft, they put blueberries in it and they dance around like a lava lamp. this is definitely the best blueberry beer i'd had (had at least 6). it holds it's taste to the very end of the bottle. i got a few cases from sneiders for $30 case. they also sell it at yes, organic for $7.50 a six pack. they now are serving it at commissary restaurant at $5 /bottle. it's very popular here in DC. oh..did i mention it's 8.0% etoh! 2 beers and you'll be done! or not!

2.48/5  rDev +12.2%

Look: nice deep purple color with a lavender/pink head to it.
Smell: Very strong blueberry juice smell to it. Almost overpowering to the point where i didnt really sense much else.
Taste: Very very rich and sugary. Nice blueberry taste and it does mask the alcohol content well. But i just dont see much to impress me.
Mouthfeel: Ok carbonation so it goes down easy but it is very thick. I think it turned my tongue purple. Though i will say it does have a pretty cool logo.

1.3/5  rDev -41.2%

Ugh, where to begin? I had an unfortunate run in with this beer while making a custom mix pack from my local store which has a nice selection of singles. Fortunately I only got one.

A: Sickly artificial purple color.

S: Similar to appearance, it smells like some sort of artificial blueberry soda.

T: Horrid, I chocked down half a glass before I gave up. Overly sweet, bitter, unbalanced, artificial, medicinal flavor.

M: Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I stopped at taste.

D: This is the complete opposite of drinkability.

My only drain pour to date. Avoid at all costs. I wasn't aware this was an AB product when purchasing. I saw fruit and 8% ABV and assumed either Lambic or at least some interesting experiment. This is malt liquor with a heap of bottom rung artificial blueberry flavoring.

Kudos to those few that love this concoction. You must have iron-clad willpower to make it through an entire glass.

2.29/5  rDev +3.6%

Reviewed from notes from a tasting on 01/09/2010

Formed a thick single finger head of cool pinkish foam. Moderate retention with a small amount of lacing. Crystal clear body that looks like a combination of grape juice and cranberry juice.

Blueberries aromas up front that mask some grains and an odd, fake candy smell...almost like sweet tarts.

The taste is similar to the nose, but the flavors are almost "manufactured" tasting...something unnatural about it...

Mouth feel is light, semi astringent with moderate carbonation.

Drinkable, but the fake smell/taste turn me off.

1.92/5  rDev -13.1%

a purple-red color and a pink head!! 'nuff said.

Raspberry and wild blueberry pie, vanilla and mixed tropical juices, slick maltiness.

a very juicy brew, mostly fruity with dank and dark fruits, blueberry jam, sweet raspberry with vanilla, all this fruitiness makes this WAY sugary sweet, very heavy, cloying malt presence. i feel the urge to add a lighter beer to this one just to make it more drinkable. mild herbal bitterness and the sweetness goes a long way.

Very limited drinkablity due to the 8% abv, which delivers a rather quick buzz thanks to all of the sugar. a sneaky beer too...as the lable tries to make you think it's craft brewed by saying: Brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

3.32/5  rDev +50.2%

Was surprised to see this beer had such a low average rating. I thought that it was pretty good, and would have never guessed it was an AB product. The smell is good - lots of fresh, juicy, sour blueberry notes. The taste is good too - ripe, sugary blueberry with some hints of black and raspberry. The most surprising thing is how one of these can creep up on you fast. The 8% ABV is well hidden. I would definitely have this beer again.

1.74/5  rDev -21.3%

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager

looks like grape juice. purple and slick, with a tight pink head that disappears immediately. smells of blueberries and alcohol. very strong alcohol. tastes more like carbonated grape juice spiked with vodka. nothing else really detectable. feels syrupy and heavy. would have been a drainpour had my girlfriend not been here to drink it happily.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch