Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -23.6%

Well, I have a friend who just so happens to be a wine drinker. Then at a friend's party, she tried one of these beers and have been hooked ever since. Why? I don't know.

The taste reminds me of a syrupy grape cough medicine, or liquid blue-berry pop-tarts. I'm not an astronaut so I'm not too down for the liquid diet of pop-tarts or anything. I have never seen this poured in a glass, and I don't want too. The taste was enough, and even when I run out of beer on a Friday night, and am offered one of these from my friend I have to politely decline.

My stomach hurts after drinking it, it will give you an awesome buzz, but it's not worth it when it comes to taste and pleasure, not an easy drinker with the high alcohol content mixed with a foul aftertaste. They label it as a "fruit beer", but it tastes like the shittiest fruit I ever consumed.

2.05/5  rDev -6.8%

Purchased this after two recommendations by cashiers at my local HEB supermarket in College Station, TX. Consumed from a standard pint glass.

A: Purple, and surprisingly bright-colored. Head quickly dissipates to a foamy ring around the glass.

S: Smells like blueberries, but more like artificially flavored blueberry candy than real blueberries. Slight hint of malt.

T: Again - like blueberries, but tainted with chemicals. This really seems more like a malt liquor with artificial blueberry flavoring.

M: Slight carbonation. Feels somewhat syrupy.

D: I won't buy this for myself again, though I can understand that fans of wine coolers/'flavored malt beverages' would probably enjoy this.

Picked up a sixer@ the local store, I actually was going for the SN Celeration Ale, which they where fresh out of and this caught my eye, says on the carton that they won a gold medal, What a laugh, This is not beer, it's more like rancid fruit juice laced with alc. I will never buy another AB product again in my life as this product is a INSULT!!!!

1.98/5  rDev -10%

Stay away. The head looked pretty ridiculous, thin and bright bubble gum pink. I gave it a good drinkability rating because it doesn't seem like 8% despite alcohol being up front in the flavor. Other than that, it made me think of Dimetapp mixed with vodka. Syrupy and sickeningly sweet. Yuck.

4.8/5  rDev +118.2%

Although this beer has gotten bad review from most of the users on this site I was exceptionally pleased with the overall taste of this beer. Yes, it is a sweet beer and yes it is a bit overpowering but I tend to think this can be a good thing from time to time. It really depends on the overall users taste. I myself am a big fan of blueberries, and to find a beer that tastes like a lucious and sweet blueberry that pops in your mouth as you eat it I think that this beer has been unfairly rated in most aspects. I think of this beer as more of a lambic than anything if you are looking for a retreat from the more servitude koscher beer flavors than this beer is for you. It's definately not your average beer but as fruit flavored beers go it definitely promises more flavor than your average Sam Adam's Cherry lambic. Don't expect this beer to be your normal beer flavor, but don't discount it for being too fruity, who knows you may like it I did.

1.33/5  rDev -39.5%

I should have guessed it, but the deep magenta-purple body and thin pink head was somewhat of a shock. It's kinda cool, for novelties sake, and easily the best thing this has going for it.
Concentrated Purple Kool-Aid nose (remember Purplesaurus Rex? It's been reborn here). Gigantically sugary sweet. Not specifically fruity, but its closest to grape. And furthest from beer.
In the mouth, it's all oversweet grape drink, the type with the small print: "contains 5% fruit juice". The first few sips are shockingly sweet, and almost okay if one forgets its beer. Then the bitter-sour alcohol traits pop up in the back, and the sweetness becomes crushing everywhere else. I don't even get any blueberries.
Tacky, medium full. Sickly sweet.
This is 100% malternative (and an especially vile one). Not beer. Get it outta here.

1.9/5  rDev -13.6%

Not a great beer

If you want to call it beer

A- Looks like grape juice, but maybe a little lighter

S- Blueberry muffins this is not...smells like a candy with fake flavor, maybe like a starburst candy, even though they don't make a blueberry I don't think

T- Bad...Overly tart without a ton of blueberry flavor actually present. Confusing, as to the coloration would hint at a better flavor...

M- Almost a gross creaminess. Dingy, stale, spoiled possibly

D- Tough to handle...took almost an hour to get one down while cleansing my palate with a better beer. I just did't want to waste the alcohol that was presented to me.

2.23/5  rDev +1.4%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a mug

Appearance: Pours a dark purple with a light purple/blue head with little retention

Smell: Smells like blueberry flavoring (not actual blueberries but the flavor similar to a pop)

Taste: This is reminiscent of the sparkling fruit juices out there that have no alcohol or even a malt liquor or pop. This is definitely not a beer taste at all. It is not like other people say that it is undrinkable but it is not what you would want if you were looking for a beer.

12 oz. Bottle:

A: Dark color with blue tint; lots of carbonation: Malt liquor like.

S: Smells like fake blueberries and chemicals... uggh.

T: Tastes the same as the smell, finishing one bottle of this was a battle of the will.

M/D: Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

This is a cheap beer with artificial flavoring; one of the first beers my friend bought when he turned 21 (three months ago) and the rest of the six pack is still sitting in the fridge. Awful!

1.48/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright purple color, with a thin pinkish head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all blueberries with some light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is sugary and tart up front with a strong blueberry flavor. Then there's an alcohol bite and a very mild hops presence that come in next. The malt character is very thin and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Not very crisp and not smooth at all, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: It's flavorful but only from the blueberry extract and not very tasty, does not go down very easily but at least it's not too filling, strong kick but it just makes a bad beer worse, this beer is just plain awful.

1.73/5  rDev -21.4%

Bought in a mixed 6 pack.

Bright reddish pour with a big pink head of foam.

The smell is nothing but fruit...blueberries wuth, maybe, a very light nose of wheat.

The taste is simply fruit juice, with some alcohol in it. No beer like qualities to it at al for me and the 8%abv? I didn't feel anything from it at all so drinking this "beer" was a complete waste of it's share of the mixed sixer...

1.78/5  rDev -19.1%

Given to me from drizzam (thanks, I think)...
Poured into a pint glass this brew is a dark purple with a light purple head that left a slight cap. The aroma is of blueberries... really the color and smell is what I would expect for a blueberry beer so average in my book. The taste however is like a cheap malt liquor beverage you would give to your high school girlfriend (back when you were in high school) because she wouldn't drink a tall boy with you and your friends. Very sugary taste, overly tart and fruity. I can't even get my wife to finish this.

1.05/5  rDev -52.3%

Pours a dark red rasberry color - like no color I've ever seen in a beer, with a light pink but firm head. Looks like raspberry soda.

Nose is of sweet non varietal bulk red wine with a grape/blueberry "new wine" smell.

Mouthfeel is strictly grape/blueberry soda. I would guess this as a grape/blueberry soda, not a beer, in a blind tasting. No hint of alcohol, none the less 8% abv!

I would give this to a child if I didn't know better (assuming one believes the bottle label) since it is purple/pink, smell like soda, is sweet to a fault and tastes like soda-nothing else. Finishes like a grape soda...period. I would believe that this is an alcoholic beverage and a beer only if I am forced to believe the label.

Best use? Reduce it and pour it over vanilla ice cream; such would be its only purpose. Please, this is a joke....no?

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%

A - Purplish-pink head starting out at three quarters of an inch and fading fast. The body is purple and held to light a deep magenta. The brew sounds like a 7-Up when poured. If not for the interesting color it would be less than average.

S - Malt with berry ice cream aroma. Inviting, if it were a wine spritzer.

T - This is far too berry-y for me. There is no real beer flavor here. It has a strange after-taste as well.

M - Not coarse necessarily, but it actually feels uncomfortable in my mouth.

~ I believe this to be a poor attempt at Lambic style brew. If that's what they were going for... ouch. I will not be recommending this to my friends, however, I will try to finish the drink I've poured. Thanks Rob.

3.63/5  rDev +65%

Appearance- So cool and unique, kind of a blue purple color with a tiny purple head of foam. Some people may hate but It's something new and fun. I think it looks cool personally. I mean it does fit for a BLUEberry beer.

Smell- Grape soda, especially when first poured.Nosing the glass yeilds a aroma of tart blueberry with some alcohol notes.

Taste- Wow this tastes like Whole Grain blueberry pancakes with syrup. I'm a fan. It's defiantly a sweet beer and the flavor sticks with you. It's a syrupy sweetness yeah, but thats not bad if it fits the taste profile.

Mouthfeel- This is wear it kinda loses me, the sweetness lends it a syrupy consistancy. Not great but not bad. This is probably wear the beer loses alot of people.

Drinkability- It's be pretty easy to drink one or two in an afternoon, after that though I'd probably switch to a cleaner crisper beer. But I'd come back for more the next day.

Overall- Lose the tude and try Wild Blue. Most people hate is solely because of the company that put it out, or they just don't like a sweet beer. Honestly I am thrilled to see a fruit beer that really tastes like sweet fruit.

This is a neat beer, it's a sweet beer. Works great for hop and bitter beer haters. If you Like SA Cherry Wheat you won't be sorry you tried this.

3.2/5  rDev +45.5%

Appearance: As the name implies I was expecting maybe a... wild and blue appearance but it pours almost a cloudy wine color with a likewise purple-esq finger length head; nothing too daunting or wild but pleasing none the less.

Smell: The smell is a pungent mix of semi-artificial raspberries and blueberries,

Taste: It's like a blueberry fruit punch which made me question: is this really a lager? Very sweet and almost feels more like a wine cooler but it was a hot day and this brew just hit the spot.

Mouthfeel: Semi-dry with a alcohol kick at the end.

Drinkability: Could easily session but hey, i love blueberries.

Overall: Going against the curve here a bit but this is my straight up opinion. Would have never known this was a AB product if it wasn't for BA. Although it doesn't hit the lager title head on its definately welcomed as it is quite tasty and smooth. Looking for a lager then look elsewhere but if you want a decent sweet blueberry beer with a moderate abv then this will be your pick.

1.45/5  rDev -34.1%

Bought a six-pack from the supermarket with a girl who loves beer as much as I do. Took it home and poured it into pint glasses. It pours a clearish-purple with effervescent bubbles and only a little bit of white-ish head. Sparse lacing around the rim as I poked my nose into the glass for a sniff. Very strong blueberry smell followed by the aroma of alcohol (according to the label this beer is 8% ABV!?!) The "natural" flavor (read: chemical flavoring added) of blueberry overpowers the normal hints of hops or malt. Really this beer just tastes like a punchier Boone's Farm or an alcoholic lolipop. It should win over people who don't much like beer, but for a beer enthusiast there isn't much to like. I'd suggest Sweetwater Blue as an alternative to this product if you're interested in berry beer.

1.43/5  rDev -35%

This is probably my least favorite beer. The beer pours a bluish tint, not a great amount of carbonation and not too much of a head. It smells strongly of blueberries, which isn't too bad, until you get to the taste. Very fake, very strong blueberry flavor that lingers a bit as well. Not enjoyable in the least. I didn't finish the beer.

1.35/5  rDev -38.6%

I would have to say that the most appealing aspect of this beer is it's appearance. Purple in color with a light purple head.
Overall, I'd have to say I was very disappointed... until I found out that AB brewed it... then I wasn't phased in the least.
It's like drinking a very strong (8% ABV) and very sweet wine cooler. I couldn't taste anything that resembled a lager at all.
This is definitely hangover material... I would avoid at all costs.

2.68/5  rDev +21.8%

Thanks to Mike and Brandee for bringing this one back. Strange, ugly cartoon dog kicking a blueberry on the label. "Blue Dawg Brewing, Baldwinsville, NY", would have never known this is an AB product if not for BA.
"Premium lager with natural flavors and color from fruit juice"
A big shock for everyone when it was bright purple, (high marks for the uniqueness factor alone) looks like grape soda, thin ring of foam on the pour, then nothing.
The smell is blueberry, no question. Actually was not as artificial smelling as I expected, but still quite strong. Tastes of strong, sweet blueberries. Not much other flavor ar aroma can be picked up over the sweetness. 8% alc is hidden well. Thin to medium body, lots of carbonation keep it light and from becoming overly syrupy.
More of a beer cooler or wine cooler, than a fruit beer. Interesting to say the least.

1.8/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Poured nicely with a deep purple color and a large pink head that settled rather nicely

S- The blueberry scent wasn't as strong as I expected. It actually smelled more like strawberries to me

T- It was like sugary blueberries, like blueberry pop or gum

M- Felt like I was drinking pop. It was bubbly with a little jump on the tongue and sting in the throat

D- Again, it's like blueberry pop so I could have one or two but the ABV and color is the most appealing aspects of this beer

2.38/5  rDev +8.2%

I picked this one up out of pure curiosity. Sick of looking at it basically.
A: Pours a transparent cranberry color that produces a very light shade of purple. The head is actually pretty decent and retains well, leaving some lacing along my pint glass. So far, not too bad at all.

S: Not exactly what I had hoped for, but then again, when has Busch ever come thru for me? Very fruity aroma. Artificial blueberries are dominant, raspberry is pretty abundant too. Very artificial and sweet smelling fruits.

T: Similar to the nose. More juice-like than I thought it would be. The only hops I could detect were slightly bittering, no floral. Slight alcohol kick as well. I just realized this was 8%...

MF/D: Less carbonated than others, light body, long raspberry finish coupled with some alcohol.

Not good at all, but a refreshing beer for sure.

2.9/5  rDev +31.8%

Poured red and gathered a pink head...great for us gals...Head disappeared quite quickly. Nose of bluberries, taste of blueberry champagne, ultra light mouthfeel, and the 8% ABV kicks in quickly. Just a pretty reddish beer, champagne-like aftertaste, and very sweet. Not a beer to overload on, only a true fruity beer lover can appreciate this. Worth a try, the big AB company is trying to make a stake in the micro brewing business, not up to my standards.

1.53/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler pint.

A - Blood red and clear with almost no bubbles. A loud fizzy head actually stayed for a while before dropping to a thin layer. Pink pastel colored head.

S - Rich blueberry syrup and sugar (think the pancake syrup from IHOP) but it actually has more of a fresh raspberry aroma than blueberry I think. It's not awful for what it is. No real hints of beer though.

T - Holy hell. It wasn't half bad til the first sip. Pure, overly sugared blueberry kool-ade, and that's insulting kool-ade. A warm alcohol finish just obscures this beer more. It tastes like a cheap vodka drink.

M - Dry, sugary as hell, and sweet with an alcoholic finish and zing.

D - I would give this beer a "1" in this category but the extra half point goes to the college boys who pick up a 6 of this for a party in hopes of getting laid by a helpless woman getting blasted off his 8% fruit syrup crap. Ugh. Appearance and smell had me worried I'd have the only non-D or F review until I had my first sip. Then I realized why it was so low.

3.95/5  rDev +79.5%

From a brown 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty blue/voilet color with a small head. Has a strong smell of sweet blueberries. Taste just like it smells. Sweet and fruity. Feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall I was pleasently surprised. This is a quality brew.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch