Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
1.4/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured into a goblet that will probably never speak to me again.

A: Kool-Aid red, with a fizzy pinkish purple cap. Head retention is actually OK, and a little lace is left behind. Could be mistaken for a cranberry lambic from a long ways away.

S: Super sweet artificial blueberry starts things out. It's joined by a tingle of straight alcohol. That's pretty much it.

T: Things actually get worse once the beer hits the mouth. The unnatural fruit sweetness from the nose hits hard out of the gate. Tastes more like a wine cooler than beer. Unbridled alcohol mixes with the fruit to create a cough syrup meets rocket fuel effect. The beer's flavor never really went away once I was finished.

M: The body is very light for this much alcohol. Carbonation feels OK.

D: This is one of the worst beer's I've had in a long time. 2010's worst beer experience thus far. Fruit flavored malt liquor was the thought that stuck with me as I drank. I came very close to pouring this one down the drain, but a friend of mine had bought it and I didn't want to be rude. A beer I will be giving a wide berth to next time I spot it in the store.

2.15/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a dark purple with a light purple head that left a slight cap. Not what I was expecting, looks more like some sort of malt beverage or wine cooler.

The smell is nothing but fruit. Blueberries with a very light nose of wheat, maybe.

Like it looks, tastes like Blueberry flavored 7-up. I was really hoping this would be a lager with some blueberry after tastes but nope.

Feels like I'm drinking pop.

If I wanted to drink pop I would have bought a six pack of Dr. Pepper and a fifth of Southern Comfort to go with it.

4.5/5  rDev +104.5%

this is the best blueberry beer i've had. my blueberry kick started when i went to maine this past oct 2009. i had seadog and national harbour. every bar in maine practically served blueberry beer. when you get it on draft, they put blueberries in it and they dance around like a lava lamp. this is definitely the best blueberry beer i'd had (had at least 6). it holds it's taste to the very end of the bottle. i got a few cases from sneiders for $30 case. they also sell it at yes, organic for $7.50 a six pack. they now are serving it at commissary restaurant at $5 /bottle. it's very popular here in DC. oh..did i mention it's 8.0% etoh! 2 beers and you'll be done! or not!

2.45/5  rDev +11.4%

Look: nice deep purple color with a lavender/pink head to it.
Smell: Very strong blueberry juice smell to it. Almost overpowering to the point where i didnt really sense much else.
Taste: Very very rich and sugary. Nice blueberry taste and it does mask the alcohol content well. But i just dont see much to impress me.
Mouthfeel: Ok carbonation so it goes down easy but it is very thick. I think it turned my tongue purple. Though i will say it does have a pretty cool logo.

1.25/5  rDev -43.2%

Ugh, where to begin? I had an unfortunate run in with this beer while making a custom mix pack from my local store which has a nice selection of singles. Fortunately I only got one.

A: Sickly artificial purple color.

S: Similar to appearance, it smells like some sort of artificial blueberry soda.

T: Horrid, I chocked down half a glass before I gave up. Overly sweet, bitter, unbalanced, artificial, medicinal flavor.

M: Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I stopped at taste.

D: This is the complete opposite of drinkability.

My only drain pour to date. Avoid at all costs. I wasn't aware this was an AB product when purchasing. I saw fruit and 8% ABV and assumed either Lambic or at least some interesting experiment. This is malt liquor with a heap of bottom rung artificial blueberry flavoring.

Kudos to those few that love this concoction. You must have iron-clad willpower to make it through an entire glass.

2.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Reviewed from notes from a tasting on 01/09/2010

Formed a thick single finger head of cool pinkish foam. Moderate retention with a small amount of lacing. Crystal clear body that looks like a combination of grape juice and cranberry juice.

Blueberries aromas up front that mask some grains and an odd, fake candy smell...almost like sweet tarts.

The taste is similar to the nose, but the flavors are almost "manufactured" tasting...something unnatural about it...

Mouth feel is light, semi astringent with moderate carbonation.

Drinkable, but the fake smell/taste turn me off.

1.95/5  rDev -11.4%

a purple-red color and a pink head!! 'nuff said.

Raspberry and wild blueberry pie, vanilla and mixed tropical juices, slick maltiness.

a very juicy brew, mostly fruity with dank and dark fruits, blueberry jam, sweet raspberry with vanilla, all this fruitiness makes this WAY sugary sweet, very heavy, cloying malt presence. i feel the urge to add a lighter beer to this one just to make it more drinkable. mild herbal bitterness and the sweetness goes a long way.

Very limited drinkablity due to the 8% abv, which delivers a rather quick buzz thanks to all of the sugar. a sneaky beer too...as the lable tries to make you think it's craft brewed by saying: Brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

3.33/5  rDev +51.4%

Was surprised to see this beer had such a low average rating. I thought that it was pretty good, and would have never guessed it was an AB product. The smell is good - lots of fresh, juicy, sour blueberry notes. The taste is good too - ripe, sugary blueberry with some hints of black and raspberry. The most surprising thing is how one of these can creep up on you fast. The 8% ABV is well hidden. I would definitely have this beer again.

1.73/5  rDev -21.4%

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager

looks like grape juice. purple and slick, with a tight pink head that disappears immediately. smells of blueberries and alcohol. very strong alcohol. tastes more like carbonated grape juice spiked with vodka. nothing else really detectable. feels syrupy and heavy. would have been a drainpour had my girlfriend not been here to drink it happily.

3.53/5  rDev +60.5%

New to this site and decided to give it a try. I found it in my local Publix Grocery Store. The label caught my eye so I said what the heck.

Poured the brown bottled liquid into a pint glass. Immediately caught an aroma of sweet candy blueberry. It was a purple cranberry color with a single finger creamy head that dissipated quickly. My initial taste was syrupy blueberry bubble gum flavoring, but interesting. As I continued to drink I noticed a nice lacing around the glass and light reddish purple color. I also noticed that the aroma began to take on a chemically type smell. The flavoring was nice with a hint of alcohol in the finish. I did enjoy the entire experience but would only drink one or two at a time. I liked the ABV of 8%. I also liked the light sweet drinkability it provided. It would be a nice beer with a light fruity salad with chicken. Overall, I enjoyed it and will try it again.

1.93/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Lets get this out of the way. If you reviewed this beer and it is first of all out of your comfort zone, you should not have reviewed it. Or if you dislike fruit anything, you should have moved on.

I got a six pack for $5.00 and some change.

A - Looks good. A dark reddish hue, like wine looking. Light pinkish head, bubbling around edges. Lambic.

S - Jesus. It smells like I just opened some fruity wine like substance. Artificial blueberry. All over the place. And alcohol.

T - All fake blueberry syrup, and alcohol. Extremely sweet. Over powered with the sugar and the syrupy consistency. Warm aftertaste with the alcohol. Lager? Malt.

M - Thin, slippery, and alcohol. A light numbing effect comes very early in this one. Carbonation was dead on. Thats the only good thing in this section. All alcohol.

D - Depends on who drinks it right? Me. Two at a time and no more.

I did not know this was A&B. I bought it cause it was cheap and higher %. This is not what I normally drink at all but I can respect the people who made this one. (Normal circumstances, I dislike Busch. I live in STL) It is not for everyone obviously. After sessions with with one now twice, I felt comfortable to review it. Not for the faint of heart to say the least.

1.68/5  rDev -23.6%

Well, I have a friend who just so happens to be a wine drinker. Then at a friend's party, she tried one of these beers and have been hooked ever since. Why? I don't know.

The taste reminds me of a syrupy grape cough medicine, or liquid blue-berry pop-tarts. I'm not an astronaut so I'm not too down for the liquid diet of pop-tarts or anything. I have never seen this poured in a glass, and I don't want too. The taste was enough, and even when I run out of beer on a Friday night, and am offered one of these from my friend I have to politely decline.

My stomach hurts after drinking it, it will give you an awesome buzz, but it's not worth it when it comes to taste and pleasure, not an easy drinker with the high alcohol content mixed with a foul aftertaste. They label it as a "fruit beer", but it tastes like the shittiest fruit I ever consumed.

2.05/5  rDev -6.8%

Purchased this after two recommendations by cashiers at my local HEB supermarket in College Station, TX. Consumed from a standard pint glass.

A: Purple, and surprisingly bright-colored. Head quickly dissipates to a foamy ring around the glass.

S: Smells like blueberries, but more like artificially flavored blueberry candy than real blueberries. Slight hint of malt.

T: Again - like blueberries, but tainted with chemicals. This really seems more like a malt liquor with artificial blueberry flavoring.

M: Slight carbonation. Feels somewhat syrupy.

D: I won't buy this for myself again, though I can understand that fans of wine coolers/'flavored malt beverages' would probably enjoy this.

Picked up a sixer@ the local store, I actually was going for the SN Celeration Ale, which they where fresh out of and this caught my eye, says on the carton that they won a gold medal, What a laugh, This is not beer, it's more like rancid fruit juice laced with alc. I will never buy another AB product again in my life as this product is a INSULT!!!!

1.98/5  rDev -10%

Stay away. The head looked pretty ridiculous, thin and bright bubble gum pink. I gave it a good drinkability rating because it doesn't seem like 8% despite alcohol being up front in the flavor. Other than that, it made me think of Dimetapp mixed with vodka. Syrupy and sickeningly sweet. Yuck.

4.8/5  rDev +118.2%

Although this beer has gotten bad review from most of the users on this site I was exceptionally pleased with the overall taste of this beer. Yes, it is a sweet beer and yes it is a bit overpowering but I tend to think this can be a good thing from time to time. It really depends on the overall users taste. I myself am a big fan of blueberries, and to find a beer that tastes like a lucious and sweet blueberry that pops in your mouth as you eat it I think that this beer has been unfairly rated in most aspects. I think of this beer as more of a lambic than anything if you are looking for a retreat from the more servitude koscher beer flavors than this beer is for you. It's definately not your average beer but as fruit flavored beers go it definitely promises more flavor than your average Sam Adam's Cherry lambic. Don't expect this beer to be your normal beer flavor, but don't discount it for being too fruity, who knows you may like it I did.

1.33/5  rDev -39.5%

I should have guessed it, but the deep magenta-purple body and thin pink head was somewhat of a shock. It's kinda cool, for novelties sake, and easily the best thing this has going for it.
Concentrated Purple Kool-Aid nose (remember Purplesaurus Rex? It's been reborn here). Gigantically sugary sweet. Not specifically fruity, but its closest to grape. And furthest from beer.
In the mouth, it's all oversweet grape drink, the type with the small print: "contains 5% fruit juice". The first few sips are shockingly sweet, and almost okay if one forgets its beer. Then the bitter-sour alcohol traits pop up in the back, and the sweetness becomes crushing everywhere else. I don't even get any blueberries.
Tacky, medium full. Sickly sweet.
This is 100% malternative (and an especially vile one). Not beer. Get it outta here.

1.9/5  rDev -13.6%

Not a great beer

If you want to call it beer

A- Looks like grape juice, but maybe a little lighter

S- Blueberry muffins this is not...smells like a candy with fake flavor, maybe like a starburst candy, even though they don't make a blueberry I don't think

T- Bad...Overly tart without a ton of blueberry flavor actually present. Confusing, as to the coloration would hint at a better flavor...

M- Almost a gross creaminess. Dingy, stale, spoiled possibly

D- Tough to handle...took almost an hour to get one down while cleansing my palate with a better beer. I just did't want to waste the alcohol that was presented to me.

2.23/5  rDev +1.4%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a mug

Appearance: Pours a dark purple with a light purple/blue head with little retention

Smell: Smells like blueberry flavoring (not actual blueberries but the flavor similar to a pop)

Taste: This is reminiscent of the sparkling fruit juices out there that have no alcohol or even a malt liquor or pop. This is definitely not a beer taste at all. It is not like other people say that it is undrinkable but it is not what you would want if you were looking for a beer.

12 oz. Bottle:

A: Dark color with blue tint; lots of carbonation: Malt liquor like.

S: Smells like fake blueberries and chemicals... uggh.

T: Tastes the same as the smell, finishing one bottle of this was a battle of the will.

M/D: Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

This is a cheap beer with artificial flavoring; one of the first beers my friend bought when he turned 21 (three months ago) and the rest of the six pack is still sitting in the fridge. Awful!

1.48/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright purple color, with a thin pinkish head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all blueberries with some light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is sugary and tart up front with a strong blueberry flavor. Then there's an alcohol bite and a very mild hops presence that come in next. The malt character is very thin and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Not very crisp and not smooth at all, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: It's flavorful but only from the blueberry extract and not very tasty, does not go down very easily but at least it's not too filling, strong kick but it just makes a bad beer worse, this beer is just plain awful.

1.73/5  rDev -21.4%

Bought in a mixed 6 pack.

Bright reddish pour with a big pink head of foam.

The smell is nothing but fruit...blueberries wuth, maybe, a very light nose of wheat.

The taste is simply fruit juice, with some alcohol in it. No beer like qualities to it at al for me and the 8%abv? I didn't feel anything from it at all so drinking this "beer" was a complete waste of it's share of the mixed sixer...

1.78/5  rDev -19.1%

Given to me from drizzam (thanks, I think)...
Poured into a pint glass this brew is a dark purple with a light purple head that left a slight cap. The aroma is of blueberries... really the color and smell is what I would expect for a blueberry beer so average in my book. The taste however is like a cheap malt liquor beverage you would give to your high school girlfriend (back when you were in high school) because she wouldn't drink a tall boy with you and your friends. Very sugary taste, overly tart and fruity. I can't even get my wife to finish this.

1.05/5  rDev -52.3%

Pours a dark red rasberry color - like no color I've ever seen in a beer, with a light pink but firm head. Looks like raspberry soda.

Nose is of sweet non varietal bulk red wine with a grape/blueberry "new wine" smell.

Mouthfeel is strictly grape/blueberry soda. I would guess this as a grape/blueberry soda, not a beer, in a blind tasting. No hint of alcohol, none the less 8% abv!

I would give this to a child if I didn't know better (assuming one believes the bottle label) since it is purple/pink, smell like soda, is sweet to a fault and tastes like soda-nothing else. Finishes like a grape soda...period. I would believe that this is an alcoholic beverage and a beer only if I am forced to believe the label.

Best use? Reduce it and pour it over vanilla ice cream; such would be its only purpose. Please, this is a joke....no?

1.75/5  rDev -20.5%

A - Purplish-pink head starting out at three quarters of an inch and fading fast. The body is purple and held to light a deep magenta. The brew sounds like a 7-Up when poured. If not for the interesting color it would be less than average.

S - Malt with berry ice cream aroma. Inviting, if it were a wine spritzer.

T - This is far too berry-y for me. There is no real beer flavor here. It has a strange after-taste as well.

M - Not coarse necessarily, but it actually feels uncomfortable in my mouth.

~ I believe this to be a poor attempt at Lambic style brew. If that's what they were going for... ouch. I will not be recommending this to my friends, however, I will try to finish the drink I've poured. Thanks Rob.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch