Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Shaw

3.4/5  rDev +58.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm going to buck the trend and say this beer is actually decent. I bought the six-pack before checking here on BA and once I did I thought I was screwed. But this isn't a bad brew.

It pours a deep blue/purple in color with a light purple head that foams like soda.

It has a dry aroma that's big on blueberry notes. My wife, who hates beer, actually like this beer's aroma.

The flavor is all about fruity blueberry. But this doesn't taste like artificial flavor, even though it may be. It is quite sweet and tastes like fruit has been added to this beer, unlike another blueberry beer I've tried. There really isn't much more flavor to this beer than the fruit. I'm not noting any malt or hop characteristics, not that that's a bad thing in this style. I also don't notice the higher alcohol level.

The body is very clean and crisp.

Overall this is a fine beer. If you're a fan of fruit beers I'd say this is worth checking out. I don't know why everyone else seems to hate it.

05-12-2008 03:27:20 | More by Shaw
micahgoldfus

Simply the worst beer I think I have ever had. Poured a bright, unnatural blue-pink color with a big, fizzy head that quickly disappeared. Smell was nothing big sweet, processed, sugary blueberry. I was not looking forward to the taste, and my hunch was right. The taste was nothing but syrupy blueberries, so sweet that it actually stung. The mouthfeel was incredibly fizzy. I've had some bad beers in my day, but I couldn't finish more then 4 sips of this one. It was more like a novelty soda gone bad than a beer. It's beers like this that give other fruit beers a bad, bad name. Stay away!

05-12-2008 00:41:18 | More by micahgoldfus
bashiba

Iowa

Poured an awful grape juice color with a touch of soda pop head

smells exactly like flintstone vitamons.

Taste like bad tart grapejuice. where is the beer?

mouthfeel is thin and watery, no carbonation or body at all.

just plain awful not beer at all, avoid this at all costs.

05-11-2008 22:15:32 | More by bashiba
Blakaeris

Iowa

Pours cloudy purple with pink highlights. Head is slight and quickly dissipates to a thin sheen.

Aroma is tart, with generous artificial fruit sweetness.

Taste is tangy grape soda with an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Powdery sugary feeling reminds me of kool-aid.

mouthfeel is light and thin. Could be kool-aid.

Don't bother. This isn't beer.

05-11-2008 22:10:20 | More by Blakaeris
smcolw

1.2/5  rDev -44.2%

This pours purple! With a purple hued head! Only the slightest of lace on the glass. Appears to be clear.

The smell reminds me of children's aspirin--the kind that was "orange" flavored. In this case it's closer to powdered candy--mostly sweet and artificial.

Okay, imagine grape juice poured into a Bud Light. You can't, then go out and buy this beer! I'll wait here for you to curse me out. If you would like to have a melted slushie styled beer, this one may be for you.

I'm off to dump this one.

05-11-2008 19:29:01 | More by smcolw
jenbys2001

Japan

1.2/5  rDev -44.2%

If I had noticed this was a Busch product I probably would have steered clear, but I didn't and had the unfortunate experience of drinking this beer. In the glass it looks exactly like red wine, and smells like blueberry syrup. It hits your tongue with a nauseating, overpowering faux blueberry taste - with no beer flavor at all. If I didn't know this was beer, I would have mistaken it for blueberry punch. Also it's sweeter than a soda. This is a wretched, vile beverage that you should avoid.

05-05-2008 21:48:28 | More by jenbys2001
nniicckkww

1.13/5  rDev -47.4%

I just brewed a blueberry ale and saw this in the store, so I decided I'd give it a go. Needless to say, I was excited to try it.

Upon opening and pouring the beverage, the color was dark purple and very bubbly. Grape soda? The smell did not resemble that of a beer, but of a beverage more akin to Mikes Hard Lemonade.

Very fizzy. Soda like. Is this really a lager and not a grape soda? No malt or hops flavor or aroma whatsoever. Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. Disgusting. Sweet. I think this is a soda.

This is not beer. Very disappointing. I actually poured the last half down the drain after my girlfriend and I struggled to drink the first half.

05-05-2008 18:45:35 | More by nniicckkww
pmcadamis

1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

A - It's not blue at all! It's purple with a pink head. Oh my god....what am I drinking?

S - Smells like Welch's grape juice, malt liquor, and a bowl of blueberries with sugar piled on top.

T - Tastes better than I thought it would, but it's still not really good per se. This tastes like grapes and blueberries straight up.

M - Full bodied and highly carbonated. This is a heavy beer with a high ABV, and that's one thing I like about it! The thick and boozy feel kinda reminds me of a tropical gooey sugary drink.

D - Not for me. Chicks might dig this, but the high ABV could be a disaster for lightweight little girls (like my fiance) who feel crazy after one wine cooler. This stuff really shouldn't even be considered beer.

05-05-2008 15:14:57 | More by pmcadamis
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks (I think) to Andy for sharing not one but two bottles of Wild Blue. Is this really appropriate? After we've been close friends and beer colleagues for so many years?

Appearance: Pours a Juicy Juice-looking, red-purple body with a tiny, pinkish head.

Smell: Blueberries through and through. You can smell them the minute you open the bottle.

Taste: Very berryish with a strong taste of blueberries. Middling sweetness. Dash of wine cooler. Small kick of acidity. Warming finish. The unrelenting artificial blueberry is ceaseless, never countered by any other flavors, and gets a bit tiresome.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not altogether terrible, but certainly not for me. Like a blend of Hawaiian Punch and Wine Cooler plus 8% alcohol!

05-05-2008 03:02:50 | More by ChainGangGuy
goochpunch

1.27/5  rDev -40.9%

Pours out like a mix of grape and red Koolaid. Tiny head that leaves some spots of "lace." Has an odd artificial blueberry thing going on. I've had other blueberry beers and they actually smelled like real blueberries. Go figure. Not much else is going on. A little alcohol maybe. Wow, what a taste. Artificial sweetness and artificial fruit flavor (reminiscent of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss) dominating with some rancid graininess underneath. Finish and aftertaste taste exactly like Dimetapp. Really disgusting. Also there's some booziness. Mouthfeel has the slick and thick feel of a malt liquor with a stickiness from the sweetness here. Terrible.

05-05-2008 02:03:14 | More by goochpunch
philbe311

1.53/5  rDev -28.8%

A - Pours a murky blueish red color... Reminiscent of store bought grape juice... Little or no head or lace...

S - Sugary sweet... Blueberry... Perhaps some malt... Again reminiscent of store bought grape juice...

T - Surprisingly bitter... Blueberry and burnt sugar...

M - Bitter aftertaste... Not smooth...

D - I struggled to complete... Hopefully this doesn't sour me on other blueberry beers...

05-04-2008 01:57:15 | More by philbe311
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours very red light like a red wine with almost no head, with below average lacing. Below average carbonation with a sweet smell of Hawaiian Punch. Tastes bitter and sweet...but this stuff is awful. This is awful and tastes like fermented HI C. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid, Avoid Avoid, Avoid Avoid, Avoid Avoid, Avoid!

05-04-2008 01:17:05 | More by ATLbeerDog
woemad

Washington

2.75/5  rDev +27.9%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39. I knew I had come across mention of this beer before, but couldn't remember anything else. I was intrigued by a 8% "blueberry lager", and was puzzled by it's low price. That should have sent off warning bells, as no real micro would sell a high alcohol one-off/experimental beer (and what else would such a beer be?) as cheap as this was. Once I got home, I was chagrined to see that I had been manipulated into purchasing what appeared to be an A-B alco-pop. But, hell, I might as well review it...

Poured an honest-to-god red/purple color. Didn't expect that at all. A bubbly, lavender colored-head of about an inch formed and stuck around for a couple of minutes before receeding into spotty lace. I guess I'll call it good because I don't know if there are any style rules for a beer like this, and it didn't disappoint me in this area. If anything, I had thought it might be worse, with a fizzy, lightning-fast dropping head like what I'd associate with most macros.

The nose was very fruity. This is definitely geared towards those who favor bland sweetness, as the tartness that accompanies blueberries was conspicuous by it's absence. So far, it smells like I'd thought it would, except that I also figured for a bit of the usual cooking oil scent that one can usually expect from macros. Thankfully, this was absent, whether for it not being there in the first place or because the sweet blueberry smell was drowning it out, I couldn't say. Either way, while not being bowled over with delight, I expected this to smell a lot worse.

The taste is like the smell - sweet, syrupy blueberry flavors blotting out whatever else might be on hand. That includes hops and malts. I am grading it lower than the smell, however, because it's too sweet to keep from being cloying for long. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find it so sweet to be undrinkable, but there's no way in hell I'd have drank a second one upon finishing the bottle.

Mouthfeel was a little too sticky for a lager that's not, say, a huge doppelbock. If it finished a little more cleanly, it might actually be almost refreshing.

Drinkable in a small quantity, but only just. I didn't find it awful like some BAs, but wasn't impressed, either. I'm actually more pissed about how it's marketed. Instead of stating it's from Anheiser-Busch (and I freely admit that, because A-B is my least favorite of the Big III, I might have passed on it), the label states it's brewed by "Blue Dawg Brewing" of Baldwinsville, NY. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Blue Moon still states it's brewed by Coors or Molsen-Coors. Having a seemingly new brewing company from NY on the label, with a picture on the label that , more than anything else, reminded me of Flying Dog, is a fairly disingenuous way to market beer, especially for a corporation that criticizes the way that micros and craft brewers label their contract-brewed beers.

05-03-2008 21:58:03 | More by woemad
generallee

1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

It pours a light cranberry color with a pink head. The aroma is strong and full of blueberries and some malt notes. Its flavor is overwhelmingly fake and sweet with blueberries adding some tartness. Hop and malt flavors are barely detected. The palate is medium bodied with a sticky texture and the carbonation is fizzy.

05-03-2008 17:25:18 | More by generallee
sdkarcher

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -37.2%

Having moved to the middle of the country from New England, today's warm weather had me thinking of a nice blueberry lager like those in Maine. I saw this at the local Kroger's and decided to give it a try.

s - I opened the bottle, and the smell was a little berrier than I expected, but not distressing.

m - the moderate carbonation was a little unexpected, but not bad. The mouthfeel is perhaps the best aspect of this brew.

t - I took a sip, and it's just awful - like someone crushed up a bunch of frozen blueberries and dropped it in the beer. Way too much berry flavor. I had a few pretzels to see if I was perhaps just being too harsh, and that a second taste would be better. It wasn't. Sweet, fruity, no good beer taste apparent. Just awful.

a - This poured a reddish blue color when I was dumping it down the drain. I should have looked first.

05-03-2008 04:08:13 | More by sdkarcher
JMScowcroft

Vermont

1.05/5  rDev -51.2%

Look - Very basic label and artwork. Pours like a carbonated fruit juice. See-through, moderately fizzy with a carbonation-type head.

Smell - Alcohol scent with fruity overtones. Smells like they took a fruit juice and added alcohol to it, not very appetizing at all.

Taste - Almost like a red, fruity wine, but not good tasting. A bit dry and alcohol tasting.

Mouthfeel - Dry and bitter, lasts much too long as well.

Drinkability - Non-existent...

I'm being honest here, this is the Mad Dog 20/20 or Erk-N-Jerk of beers. For the fruit juice drinker, not the beer drinker, who just wants to get loaded.

05-01-2008 23:10:35 | More by JMScowcroft
ithacabaron

1.7/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours life fizzy concord grape juice, deep purple, with a decent head that soon fades out. Not unattractive, but not good, either.

Aroma of blueberries (well, more like canned blueberry pie filling), leaps out of the glass at first, but, after it fades down, there seems to be the distinct smell of DMS, like someone buried a Rolling Rock underneath all this. Well, I like Rolling Rock (or at least, I did -- as a Pennsylvanian, I took a personal stand and stopped buying it when production was moved out of Latrobe), and I like blueberries, so this might work. Then again, I don't know about the two together.

Taste is odd, and fairly foul, with a sour, chemical fruitiness that never seems to resolve itself. It doesn't taste entirely like artificial blueberry, and I can't really find any beer taste underneath either. The finish is slightly rancid and astringent.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, a little sharp, but not inspiring. There are so many bad things going on here that good mouthfeel would be like lipstick on a sow.

As for drinkability, I'm not sure I can finish (or want to finish) the bottle. Thumbs down here.

All in all, a big disappointment. I'd be all for drinking an AB beer (which I didn't know it was, until I logged on BA) if it was a good one, but that being said, this isn't. I was hoping for an inventive, blueberry-tinged hellesbock, from what appeared to be a small brewery. Instead, I got artificial-flavor jacked malt liquor. Blech. What a disaster.

04-30-2008 03:57:35 | More by ithacabaron
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.95/5  rDev +37.2%

Appearance is like a Lindeman's Framboise fine bubbled carbonation really sticks around compared especially when compared to any other AB product. Well kinda looks like carbonated cranberry or grape juice. Pink head forms thick with nice chunky lacing all around my glass. Aroma hits you with sugar infused tart blueberry jam notes with hints of mineral water and earthy grapeseed or blueberry stem notes soaked with an alcoholic finish. Definitely not disgusting like their Celebrate offerings this one is palatable in small portions split with somebody because 12 ounces becomes a marathon of a drinking session. Holy alco pop batman there's alot of corn syrup infused with blueberrires. Mouthfeel is medium bodied stick to the palate with reduced sugar carbonation works here doesn't come out like a macro enough tartness to balance a bit, still really dessert.
Drinkability not as horrible as I was anticipating, on the same level as any of the sweet Lambics out there I actually enjoyed it, hell much better than most of the latest AB attempts to brew outside the box. Really dose cross the line out of the beer world and into the malt beverage realm for me.

04-28-2008 23:57:49 | More by WVbeergeek
Big78CJ

1.43/5  rDev -33.5%

So it sucks to know this beer is a Busch product. Had I known when I was looking at it, I would not have purchased. That being said, here is my review...keep in mind that I really like blueberries:

I just poured this thing and it looks a lot more like a blueberry lambic or even carbonated fruit juice than it does a lager. The dark purple color extends into the light purple foam above, which vanished in the time it took me to type this paragraph.

The smell is predominantly sweet blueberries but as this wafts away I am left with a light herbal lager smell, mixed with some old wet newspaper.

Holy crap this beer tastes awful. Not to say it would not have its place as a carbonated blueberry alcohol, but it does not taste like a lager. The blueberries are overly sweet, leading me to believe this is some blueberry jelly with a ton of corn syrup as opposed to real blueberries. I should have known this would be crap (Busch crap) when I saw the tag "premium lager."

Mouthfeel is just like grape drink with enough carbonation to carry the crap away from your palate before you suffer too long

I saw the score on this beer before I drank it so I waited until a nice hot day and then drank it after mowing the lawn. I figured a long day at work, a hot hour of lawn mowing, and a nice cold blueberry lager. Well the first two were accurate and the lager was cold, just not nice. I am going to drink the rest of this bottle because it is, after all, still beer. The rest of the sixer is going to my girlfriend, if she will drink it.

This is like the ghetto version of a lindeman's in my opinion. At least a lindeman's was a lambic before they juiced it up. I am not sure this was ever more than a Budweiser rice lager with blueberry puree and corn syrup.

04-28-2008 23:13:14 | More by Big78CJ
burnstar

2.33/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours purple with a decent fizzy pink head. Mild sweet grape aroma. Taste is very sweet. Blueberries and grapes. Not a very deep flavor profile. Definitely does not taste like beer but this is a fruit beer after all. Almost syrupy mouthfeel. Gets old quickly. However I don't think this is all that bad for a fruit beer. I've had other attempts at blueberry beers, raspberry beers etc, and they either end up watery and tasteless or are a beer with a just a hint of fruit or whatever. At least this one goes all the way... and becomes basically an alcoholic blueberry pop. If this had a bit more of a true blueberry flavor and wasn't so over the top with its sweetness it would probably be quite tasty.

04-28-2008 01:26:30 | More by burnstar
Running4beer

1.13/5  rDev -47.4%

Wanted to give this a shot, bought this for my girlfriend and the both of us came up with one conclusion it is god awful. Pours out a purple grape soda color actually thats what it tastes like grape soda only worse. By far one of the worst beers I've ever had. Pour it down the toilet cause thats where it belongs.

04-27-2008 22:12:42 | More by Running4beer
RocPorterFanatic

2.8/5  rDev +30.2%

The bottle says Brewed by Blue Dawg Brewing in Baldwinsville, NY, near Syracuse. I figured I'd give a local place a chance. Its not a horrible beer but tastes like a can of the blueberries from boxed muffin mix. The high carbonation is a welcome surprise and actually makes the beer more tolerable. It wont be high on my list but I'd have it again.

04-27-2008 01:14:29 | More by RocPorterFanatic
LongDarkBlues

1.78/5  rDev -17.2%

The reviewer that called it grape soda was dead-on - it's basically the beer equivalent of Cisco Wine - the taste is all Kool-Aid, no booze. It was hidden in with the microbrews and, knowing that it could be an Anheiser-Busch plant I checked it real carefully to make sure it wasn't - it doesn't say it anywhere on the bottle. Clearly I was mistaken. But, while strong, it is terrible candy-flavored (high fructose corn-syruped?) beer that will probably get you drunk, but it's more of a wine cooler than a beer. Avoid, I would suggest - easily the worst beer I've purchased in years.

04-24-2008 08:25:05 | More by LongDarkBlues
pitweasel

1.33/5  rDev -38.1%

There is nothing about this whatsoever that said "beer" to me, other than the fact that it's called a lager.

A: Grape soda.

S: some sort of mixed berry soda.

T: Third time's a charm: soda. There wasn't anything about this that tasted like a beer. Extraordinarily sweet and somewhat syrupy.

M: Sticky. Is that a way to describe mouthfeel? I mean, it just felt...sticky.

D: It looks, smells, and tastes nothing like a beer. Incredibly sweet, almost medicinal.

I hate to review a beer like this, but...it just bore so little resemblance to such a well respected beverage that I couldn't bring myself to say anything good about it.

04-23-2008 22:39:04 | More by pitweasel
akogrady

Indiana

1.75/5  rDev -18.6%

As with others, I was intrigued by an 8% abv beer with fruit, checked the label over, and not recognizing Blue Dawg Brewing as an A-B brand, gave it a whirl.

A - Rich purple/maroon color, with a light (both size and color) purple head that dissipated quickly

S - A little on the overly sweet side, but about what I would've expected of a fruit beer. Could definitely catch the blueberry, although it seemed to have a generic fruit backing.

T - Not impressed. At all. My first blueberry beer, so I'll chalk some of it up to a lack of coordination between the acidity of blueberries and the other flavors, especially of hops, generally found in the beer, however this could have been, should have been, adequately dealt with. The first half isn't bad (I can usually manage poor fruit flavors for longer than other bad flavors) but by halfway through, I feel like I'm just belaboring the point.

M - Well, it would best be described as slightly flat blueberry soda that's been spiked with a good amount of alcohol.

D - I finished it, but that's probably the best thing I can say for its drinkability.

04-23-2008 20:59:36 | More by akogrady