Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,422 | Reviews: 587
2.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Ah, behold Wild Blue Blueberry Lager

I don't really know what I was expecting with this beer. I saw it sitting there on the shelf, and it looked different, and it looked exciting. One of my friends from Boston told me that up north they'll sometimes serve lagers with blueberries in the glass. So this was probably something like that, right?

Well, mostly wrong. But I didn't think it was absolutely terrible. Don't get me wrong, I took my first sip and made a bit of an awkward face. I just on BA really fast to get the consensus, and I think all the awful ratings started to sway me. But I got ahold of myself and really tried to figure this one out.

It isn't very hoppy or malty, or anything like beer really. But it faintly resembles one. I don't think it is quite as bad as a blueberry-flavored malt liquor. But it ain't that much better.

The color's about what I'd expect: Pinkish-purple. Not the most appetizing thing to look at, but whatever.

I think the main thought that turned me off with this beer was whether or not all this flavoring was artificial. The front claims that it has "Natural flavors and color from fruit juice." That can't be all though. Just too sugary. A "bitch beer," if you will. My girlfriend would love this stuff. And while I, too, can appreciate an 8% ALC/VOL rating, I just don't dig this stuff that much.

1.41/5  rDev -36.5%

12oz bottle, bottled late 2009. Another freebie sample from the Bud distributor. Not really my style and would never seek out a beer such as this normally.

Pours purple/red with a pinkish-purplish-whitish head. Interesting lookin'.

Smells like blueberry and grape-flavored children's cold medicine.

Tastes pretty much exactly like generic brand grape soda or a very sweet grape wine cooler. I wonder how the sugar content of this compares to actual grape soda. Lot of artificial flavoring. Some alcohol.

I like how the commercial description makes sure to mention hops and malts cuz you wouldn't know they were present otherwise. A kiddie beer.

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours reddish-purple with a purple yogurt looking head.

Smells like a monster energy drink or a red bull. Blueberry and boysenberry are in there but the energy drink thing is unavoidable.

The taste is sweet and sugary, similar to a blueberry soda that has gone flat. The alcohol is hard to detect, which is its only saving grace. Not appealing, couldn't or wouldn't drink another one. Even one has its challenges.

1.54/5  rDev -30.6%

To start with, I adore blueberries. Fresh, ripe, and real blueberries, that is. Nonetheless, this Nehi grape-colored debacle may say it contains "natural flavors and colors", but beer it is not. And I question the "blueberry" content as well. Maybe the 8% ABV is meant to obscure the fact that this one commits abominable and atrocious acts on the tastebuds? It tastes like an alcoholic grape soda, with no discernable hint of hops, just a weird, artificial fruity flavor that lingers like a Wild Irish Rose version of beer. Ugh. Avoid.

1.77/5  rDev -20.3%

well its a blue berry lager, so i was thinking a sweet blueberry taste, but what i got was almost Robitussin. the color, was a crimson, not any touch of the blue or really even a purple color., it went down smooth but for being a blue berry, not impressed, try blue points.

1.74/5  rDev -21.6%

this beer belongs in the NOT top ten for sure. Only after long deliberation did i even buy this beer, under the assumption it was a craft malt beer with some blueberry nodes. (the 8% wasn't exactly a turnoff either). it pours a dark purple head with slightly good retention. but after a couple sips, the cough syrup taste was too overwhelming for me. im not too ashamed to say that half of this beer went down the sink. good price though if this sort of thing is up your alley.

1.44/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured into a goblet that will probably never speak to me again.

A: Kool-Aid red, with a fizzy pinkish purple cap. Head retention is actually OK, and a little lace is left behind. Could be mistaken for a cranberry lambic from a long ways away.

S: Super sweet artificial blueberry starts things out. It's joined by a tingle of straight alcohol. That's pretty much it.

T: Things actually get worse once the beer hits the mouth. The unnatural fruit sweetness from the nose hits hard out of the gate. Tastes more like a wine cooler than beer. Unbridled alcohol mixes with the fruit to create a cough syrup meets rocket fuel effect. The beer's flavor never really went away once I was finished.

M: The body is very light for this much alcohol. Carbonation feels OK.

D: This is one of the worst beer's I've had in a long time. 2010's worst beer experience thus far. Fruit flavored malt liquor was the thought that stuck with me as I drank. I came very close to pouring this one down the drain, but a friend of mine had bought it and I didn't want to be rude. A beer I will be giving a wide berth to next time I spot it in the store.

2.21/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a dark purple with a light purple head that left a slight cap. Not what I was expecting, looks more like some sort of malt beverage or wine cooler.

The smell is nothing but fruit. Blueberries with a very light nose of wheat, maybe.

Like it looks, tastes like Blueberry flavored 7-up. I was really hoping this would be a lager with some blueberry after tastes but nope.

Feels like I'm drinking pop.

If I wanted to drink pop I would have bought a six pack of Dr. Pepper and a fifth of Southern Comfort to go with it.

4.5/5  rDev +102.7%

this is the best blueberry beer i've had. my blueberry kick started when i went to maine this past oct 2009. i had seadog and national harbour. every bar in maine practically served blueberry beer. when you get it on draft, they put blueberries in it and they dance around like a lava lamp. this is definitely the best blueberry beer i'd had (had at least 6). it holds it's taste to the very end of the bottle. i got a few cases from sneiders for $30 case. they also sell it at yes, organic for $7.50 a six pack. they now are serving it at commissary restaurant at $5 /bottle. it's very popular here in DC. oh..did i mention it's 8.0% etoh! 2 beers and you'll be done! or not!

2.48/5  rDev +11.7%

Look: nice deep purple color with a lavender/pink head to it.
Smell: Very strong blueberry juice smell to it. Almost overpowering to the point where i didnt really sense much else.
Taste: Very very rich and sugary. Nice blueberry taste and it does mask the alcohol content well. But i just dont see much to impress me.
Mouthfeel: Ok carbonation so it goes down easy but it is very thick. I think it turned my tongue purple. Though i will say it does have a pretty cool logo.

1.3/5  rDev -41.4%

Ugh, where to begin? I had an unfortunate run in with this beer while making a custom mix pack from my local store which has a nice selection of singles. Fortunately I only got one.

A: Sickly artificial purple color.

S: Similar to appearance, it smells like some sort of artificial blueberry soda.

T: Horrid, I chocked down half a glass before I gave up. Overly sweet, bitter, unbalanced, artificial, medicinal flavor.

M: Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I stopped at taste.

D: This is the complete opposite of drinkability.

My only drain pour to date. Avoid at all costs. I wasn't aware this was an AB product when purchasing. I saw fruit and 8% ABV and assumed either Lambic or at least some interesting experiment. This is malt liquor with a heap of bottom rung artificial blueberry flavoring.

Kudos to those few that love this concoction. You must have iron-clad willpower to make it through an entire glass.

2.29/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviewed from notes from a tasting on 01/09/2010

Formed a thick single finger head of cool pinkish foam. Moderate retention with a small amount of lacing. Crystal clear body that looks like a combination of grape juice and cranberry juice.

Blueberries aromas up front that mask some grains and an odd, fake candy smell...almost like sweet tarts.

The taste is similar to the nose, but the flavors are almost "manufactured" tasting...something unnatural about it...

Mouth feel is light, semi astringent with moderate carbonation.

Drinkable, but the fake smell/taste turn me off.

1.92/5  rDev -13.5%

a purple-red color and a pink head!! 'nuff said.

Raspberry and wild blueberry pie, vanilla and mixed tropical juices, slick maltiness.

a very juicy brew, mostly fruity with dank and dark fruits, blueberry jam, sweet raspberry with vanilla, all this fruitiness makes this WAY sugary sweet, very heavy, cloying malt presence. i feel the urge to add a lighter beer to this one just to make it more drinkable. mild herbal bitterness and the sweetness goes a long way.

Very limited drinkablity due to the 8% abv, which delivers a rather quick buzz thanks to all of the sugar. a sneaky beer too...as the lable tries to make you think it's craft brewed by saying: Brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

3.32/5  rDev +49.5%

Was surprised to see this beer had such a low average rating. I thought that it was pretty good, and would have never guessed it was an AB product. The smell is good - lots of fresh, juicy, sour blueberry notes. The taste is good too - ripe, sugary blueberry with some hints of black and raspberry. The most surprising thing is how one of these can creep up on you fast. The 8% ABV is well hidden. I would definitely have this beer again.

1.74/5  rDev -21.6%

Wild Blue Blueberry Lager

looks like grape juice. purple and slick, with a tight pink head that disappears immediately. smells of blueberries and alcohol. very strong alcohol. tastes more like carbonated grape juice spiked with vodka. nothing else really detectable. feels syrupy and heavy. would have been a drainpour had my girlfriend not been here to drink it happily.

3.54/5  rDev +59.5%

New to this site and decided to give it a try. I found it in my local Publix Grocery Store. The label caught my eye so I said what the heck.

Poured the brown bottled liquid into a pint glass. Immediately caught an aroma of sweet candy blueberry. It was a purple cranberry color with a single finger creamy head that dissipated quickly. My initial taste was syrupy blueberry bubble gum flavoring, but interesting. As I continued to drink I noticed a nice lacing around the glass and light reddish purple color. I also noticed that the aroma began to take on a chemically type smell. The flavoring was nice with a hint of alcohol in the finish. I did enjoy the entire experience but would only drink one or two at a time. I liked the ABV of 8%. I also liked the light sweet drinkability it provided. It would be a nice beer with a light fruity salad with chicken. Overall, I enjoyed it and will try it again.

1.92/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Lets get this out of the way. If you reviewed this beer and it is first of all out of your comfort zone, you should not have reviewed it. Or if you dislike fruit anything, you should have moved on.

I got a six pack for $5.00 and some change.

A - Looks good. A dark reddish hue, like wine looking. Light pinkish head, bubbling around edges. Lambic.

S - Jesus. It smells like I just opened some fruity wine like substance. Artificial blueberry. All over the place. And alcohol.

T - All fake blueberry syrup, and alcohol. Extremely sweet. Over powered with the sugar and the syrupy consistency. Warm aftertaste with the alcohol. Lager? Malt.

M - Thin, slippery, and alcohol. A light numbing effect comes very early in this one. Carbonation was dead on. Thats the only good thing in this section. All alcohol.

D - Depends on who drinks it right? Me. Two at a time and no more.

I did not know this was A&B. I bought it cause it was cheap and higher %. This is not what I normally drink at all but I can respect the people who made this one. (Normal circumstances, I dislike Busch. I live in STL) It is not for everyone obviously. After sessions with with one now twice, I felt comfortable to review it. Not for the faint of heart to say the least.

1.65/5  rDev -25.7%

Well, I have a friend who just so happens to be a wine drinker. Then at a friend's party, she tried one of these beers and have been hooked ever since. Why? I don't know.

The taste reminds me of a syrupy grape cough medicine, or liquid blue-berry pop-tarts. I'm not an astronaut so I'm not too down for the liquid diet of pop-tarts or anything. I have never seen this poured in a glass, and I don't want too. The taste was enough, and even when I run out of beer on a Friday night, and am offered one of these from my friend I have to politely decline.

My stomach hurts after drinking it, it will give you an awesome buzz, but it's not worth it when it comes to taste and pleasure, not an easy drinker with the high alcohol content mixed with a foul aftertaste. They label it as a "fruit beer", but it tastes like the shittiest fruit I ever consumed.

2.01/5  rDev -9.5%

Purchased this after two recommendations by cashiers at my local HEB supermarket in College Station, TX. Consumed from a standard pint glass.

A: Purple, and surprisingly bright-colored. Head quickly dissipates to a foamy ring around the glass.

S: Smells like blueberries, but more like artificially flavored blueberry candy than real blueberries. Slight hint of malt.

T: Again - like blueberries, but tainted with chemicals. This really seems more like a malt liquor with artificial blueberry flavoring.

M: Slight carbonation. Feels somewhat syrupy.

D: I won't buy this for myself again, though I can understand that fans of wine coolers/'flavored malt beverages' would probably enjoy this.

Picked up a sixer@ the local store, I actually was going for the SN Celeration Ale, which they where fresh out of and this caught my eye, says on the carton that they won a gold medal, What a laugh, This is not beer, it's more like rancid fruit juice laced with alc. I will never buy another AB product again in my life as this product is a INSULT!!!!

Stay away. The head looked pretty ridiculous, thin and bright bubble gum pink. I gave it a good drinkability rating because it doesn't seem like 8% despite alcohol being up front in the flavor. Other than that, it made me think of Dimetapp mixed with vodka. Syrupy and sickeningly sweet. Yuck.

4.77/5  rDev +114.9%

Although this beer has gotten bad review from most of the users on this site I was exceptionally pleased with the overall taste of this beer. Yes, it is a sweet beer and yes it is a bit overpowering but I tend to think this can be a good thing from time to time. It really depends on the overall users taste. I myself am a big fan of blueberries, and to find a beer that tastes like a lucious and sweet blueberry that pops in your mouth as you eat it I think that this beer has been unfairly rated in most aspects. I think of this beer as more of a lambic than anything if you are looking for a retreat from the more servitude koscher beer flavors than this beer is for you. It's definately not your average beer but as fruit flavored beers go it definitely promises more flavor than your average Sam Adam's Cherry lambic. Don't expect this beer to be your normal beer flavor, but don't discount it for being too fruity, who knows you may like it I did.

1.39/5  rDev -37.4%

I should have guessed it, but the deep magenta-purple body and thin pink head was somewhat of a shock. It's kinda cool, for novelties sake, and easily the best thing this has going for it.
Concentrated Purple Kool-Aid nose (remember Purplesaurus Rex? It's been reborn here). Gigantically sugary sweet. Not specifically fruity, but its closest to grape. And furthest from beer.
In the mouth, it's all oversweet grape drink, the type with the small print: "contains 5% fruit juice". The first few sips are shockingly sweet, and almost okay if one forgets its beer. Then the bitter-sour alcohol traits pop up in the back, and the sweetness becomes crushing everywhere else. I don't even get any blueberries.
Tacky, medium full. Sickly sweet.
This is 100% malternative (and an especially vile one). Not beer. Get it outta here.

1.97/5  rDev -11.3%

Not a great beer

If you want to call it beer

A- Looks like grape juice, but maybe a little lighter

S- Blueberry muffins this is not...smells like a candy with fake flavor, maybe like a starburst candy, even though they don't make a blueberry I don't think

T- Bad...Overly tart without a ton of blueberry flavor actually present. Confusing, as to the coloration would hint at a better flavor...

M- Almost a gross creaminess. Dingy, stale, spoiled possibly

D- Tough to handle...took almost an hour to get one down while cleansing my palate with a better beer. I just did't want to waste the alcohol that was presented to me.

2.25/5  rDev +1.4%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a mug

Appearance: Pours a dark purple with a light purple/blue head with little retention

Smell: Smells like blueberry flavoring (not actual blueberries but the flavor similar to a pop)

Taste: This is reminiscent of the sparkling fruit juices out there that have no alcohol or even a malt liquor or pop. This is definitely not a beer taste at all. It is not like other people say that it is undrinkable but it is not what you would want if you were looking for a beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch