Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Boto

Connecticut

1.4/5  rDev -35.2%

Bottle: I had this at a beer tasting at a local large beer store. I sought this out, because I like this type of beer. The aroma is blueberries. VERY strong blueberries. The color definitely has a blueberry tint to it. The taste is blueberries. Not in a good way. It is a sickly sweet, syrupy blueberry taste. No subtlety to this at all. As with some of A-B's other offerings in the micro world, they are heavy handed and overdone. I'll stick with Sea Dog's version.

06-02-2008 00:21:05 | More by Boto
marcpal

1.95/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Not looking forward to this one but it was just as bad as I had feared. But, my wife loved it. Go figure.

A: Poured a purple red with a bright pink head.

N: Definitely smells like fake blueberry and not pleasant. Had this one compared to a Bar Harbor after which was one of the better Ive had. This smells borderline toxic.

T: I tasted no real fruit here. More like a bad malt cocktail. A lot of graininess, this was not a beer.

M: Far too much carbonation, fizzled and fizzed non stop. Felt like a zima with the jolly rancher dropped in from high school days.

D: I doesnt taste good at all but the alcohol I find to be well hidden. Surprised at that. Even so much that my wife asked me to get more- wouldnt have thought that given the booze.

06-01-2008 20:55:02 | More by marcpal
allengarvin

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Very dark red color with a bright purple-pink head. Very sweet, berryish aroma, though is smells more like Boo-Berry cereal than fresh blueberries, to me. Ugh, the flavor is almost a parody of a good fruit beer: it's everything people say they don't like when they say they don't fruit beers. Cloyingly sweet fruity flavor, with no complexity or indeed any other flavor. I can't detect a bit of hops or malt. Ugh.

I was told there was a good new blueberry beer out in Texas: and indeed, there were two at the store, this one, and another that had a dog in a rain hat. I am assuming I picked the wrong one, because this is wretched.

06-01-2008 02:37:25 | More by allengarvin
joshwlt

1.5/5  rDev -30.6%

Had a single one of these floating in a tube down a river recently so I can't really account for its appearance but this stuff was pretty rank... Very phenolic almost pepto-like mouthfeel and taste, chalky, medicine, artificial blueberry and alcohol... didn't taste anything like beer or fruit beer. Don't waste your time or money on it.

05-31-2008 04:38:25 | More by joshwlt
whynot44

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev +25%

Nice purplish red color with a decent foamy pink head that hangs around fairly well and even makes a bit of lace.

The aroma is blueberry with a somewhat carbonic undertone, no noticeable malt.

The taste is similar - sweet blueberry, with some odd tart undertone, barely a trace of malt, no hops, but an odd metallic note which lingers into the aftertaste if you let it warm up at all.

Light/medium bodied, easily drinkable if you keep it cold and like blueberry. This really comes across more as a blueberry malt liquor or wine cooler than as a beer, but in that light, it's not bad at all. If you like blueberry koolaid with a little more kick, give it a try.

05-31-2008 02:46:40 | More by whynot44
toolbrew

2.5/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Didn't know this was AB when I bought it.

Poured a plum red color - clear. Some lacing and light foam. Small reddish head.

Smells like fruit - lots of fruit!

sweet taste as well. High carbonation.

Sensation on front of mouth and roof of mouth.

Too sweet for me - brewed from juice, not extract. Won't be having this again.

05-29-2008 22:34:32 | More by toolbrew
scruffwhor

2.78/5  rDev +28.7%

Picked this beer up with hiankingI had come across a beer that has just become available in Illinois frm the east coast. Oh well, still can't hurt to give an A-B beer a try.

Pour a purpleish burgund with rose highlights. Good bubbling and a light film of foam at the top of the beer. Doesn't look like a beer at first glance color wise, but I do recall lots of other great fruit beers having very thick, deep colors. The aroma is a strong blueberry with hints of grapes and prunes and just a touch of corn mixed ith cheap alcohol. Very juicey from th first sip, blueberries, blackberries,and some grapes. Juicey, fruity, but the alcohol is well hidden. Not what I expected, but you can't let this beer get warm at all. The boozy taste gets a bit overpowering. Very fruity, a bit adjuncty, and does not get better as it warms.

05-25-2008 20:48:57 | More by scruffwhor
Bookseeb

Washington

2.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance has a reddish blueberry hue with a simple blueberry foam head that dissapates quickly. Smell has not much, just a little fruity blueberry aroma to it. Taste has a sharp artificial fruit (blueberry I quess) flavor followed by a acidic bitterness. Mouthfeel is light - medium with a good bite of carbonation. Talked up a lot by co-workers, but I just don't taste what they see in it.

05-22-2008 01:46:07 | More by Bookseeb
jeffmonarch

Maryland

1.98/5  rDev -8.3%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Looks like grape juice, really purple with a lavender head that disappears quickly.

S - Really strong blueberry smell.

T - Really sweet almost like drinking blueberry syrup that's thinned out a little.

M - Good carbonation and light bodied.

D - Bad, my wife really likes it though.

05-21-2008 01:03:51 | More by jeffmonarch
theghost3

Louisiana

1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Wild Blue is a grape juice purple with a lavender head. It smells incredibly sweet, kind of like a wine cooler. The taste is very sweet, but not quite as sweet as it smells. The blueberry or whatever artificial flavor in it overpowers any taste of beer. It usually takes several gulps to finally taste a hint of lager. The overwhelming fruit flavor is a lot like a light wine mixed with a malternative, say, Smirnoff Ice. Not much aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was not great, but not awful--not horribly acidic like a lot of fruit beers. This is simply not a very drinkable beer. In fact, I'm not convinced this is beer and would classify it as a malternative with a little beer in it. This has to be a blueberry version of Hooch with some Bud Light in it, right? Is somebody joking with this?

05-14-2008 02:56:56 | More by theghost3
BWMKappaSig

Connecticut

1.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance: Red wine look to it with a pink foamy head. Reminds me of a framboise poured into cheap wine.

Smell: Grape juice and rubbing alcohol. Almost like Night Train.

Taste: Like bad fruit wine. This is pretty bad. Strong astringency with

Mouthfeel: Way too fizzy to be enjoyable. Cidery taste.

Drinkability: Not the slightest bit enjoyable.

05-13-2008 21:40:48 | More by BWMKappaSig
Shaw

3.4/5  rDev +57.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm going to buck the trend and say this beer is actually decent. I bought the six-pack before checking here on BA and once I did I thought I was screwed. But this isn't a bad brew.

It pours a deep blue/purple in color with a light purple head that foams like soda.

It has a dry aroma that's big on blueberry notes. My wife, who hates beer, actually like this beer's aroma.

The flavor is all about fruity blueberry. But this doesn't taste like artificial flavor, even though it may be. It is quite sweet and tastes like fruit has been added to this beer, unlike another blueberry beer I've tried. There really isn't much more flavor to this beer than the fruit. I'm not noting any malt or hop characteristics, not that that's a bad thing in this style. I also don't notice the higher alcohol level.

The body is very clean and crisp.

Overall this is a fine beer. If you're a fan of fruit beers I'd say this is worth checking out. I don't know why everyone else seems to hate it.

05-12-2008 03:27:20 | More by Shaw
micahgoldfus

Simply the worst beer I think I have ever had. Poured a bright, unnatural blue-pink color with a big, fizzy head that quickly disappeared. Smell was nothing big sweet, processed, sugary blueberry. I was not looking forward to the taste, and my hunch was right. The taste was nothing but syrupy blueberries, so sweet that it actually stung. The mouthfeel was incredibly fizzy. I've had some bad beers in my day, but I couldn't finish more then 4 sips of this one. It was more like a novelty soda gone bad than a beer. It's beers like this that give other fruit beers a bad, bad name. Stay away!

05-12-2008 00:41:18 | More by micahgoldfus
bashiba

Iowa

Poured an awful grape juice color with a touch of soda pop head

smells exactly like flintstone vitamons.

Taste like bad tart grapejuice. where is the beer?

mouthfeel is thin and watery, no carbonation or body at all.

just plain awful not beer at all, avoid this at all costs.

05-11-2008 22:15:32 | More by bashiba
Blakaeris

Iowa

Pours cloudy purple with pink highlights. Head is slight and quickly dissipates to a thin sheen.

Aroma is tart, with generous artificial fruit sweetness.

Taste is tangy grape soda with an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Powdery sugary feeling reminds me of kool-aid.

mouthfeel is light and thin. Could be kool-aid.

Don't bother. This isn't beer.

05-11-2008 22:10:20 | More by Blakaeris
smcolw

1.2/5  rDev -44.4%

This pours purple! With a purple hued head! Only the slightest of lace on the glass. Appears to be clear.

The smell reminds me of children's aspirin--the kind that was "orange" flavored. In this case it's closer to powdered candy--mostly sweet and artificial.

Okay, imagine grape juice poured into a Bud Light. You can't, then go out and buy this beer! I'll wait here for you to curse me out. If you would like to have a melted slushie styled beer, this one may be for you.

I'm off to dump this one.

05-11-2008 19:29:01 | More by smcolw
jenbys2001

Japan

1.2/5  rDev -44.4%

If I had noticed this was a Busch product I probably would have steered clear, but I didn't and had the unfortunate experience of drinking this beer. In the glass it looks exactly like red wine, and smells like blueberry syrup. It hits your tongue with a nauseating, overpowering faux blueberry taste - with no beer flavor at all. If I didn't know this was beer, I would have mistaken it for blueberry punch. Also it's sweeter than a soda. This is a wretched, vile beverage that you should avoid.

05-05-2008 21:48:28 | More by jenbys2001
nniicckkww

1.13/5  rDev -47.7%

I just brewed a blueberry ale and saw this in the store, so I decided I'd give it a go. Needless to say, I was excited to try it.

Upon opening and pouring the beverage, the color was dark purple and very bubbly. Grape soda? The smell did not resemble that of a beer, but of a beverage more akin to Mikes Hard Lemonade.

Very fizzy. Soda like. Is this really a lager and not a grape soda? No malt or hops flavor or aroma whatsoever. Mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. Disgusting. Sweet. I think this is a soda.

This is not beer. Very disappointing. I actually poured the last half down the drain after my girlfriend and I struggled to drink the first half.

05-05-2008 18:45:35 | More by nniicckkww
pmcadamis

1.9/5  rDev -12%

A - It's not blue at all! It's purple with a pink head. Oh my god....what am I drinking?

S - Smells like Welch's grape juice, malt liquor, and a bowl of blueberries with sugar piled on top.

T - Tastes better than I thought it would, but it's still not really good per se. This tastes like grapes and blueberries straight up.

M - Full bodied and highly carbonated. This is a heavy beer with a high ABV, and that's one thing I like about it! The thick and boozy feel kinda reminds me of a tropical gooey sugary drink.

D - Not for me. Chicks might dig this, but the high ABV could be a disaster for lightweight little girls (like my fiance) who feel crazy after one wine cooler. This stuff really shouldn't even be considered beer.

05-05-2008 15:14:57 | More by pmcadamis
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks (I think) to Andy for sharing not one but two bottles of Wild Blue. Is this really appropriate? After we've been close friends and beer colleagues for so many years?

Appearance: Pours a Juicy Juice-looking, red-purple body with a tiny, pinkish head.

Smell: Blueberries through and through. You can smell them the minute you open the bottle.

Taste: Very berryish with a strong taste of blueberries. Middling sweetness. Dash of wine cooler. Small kick of acidity. Warming finish. The unrelenting artificial blueberry is ceaseless, never countered by any other flavors, and gets a bit tiresome.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not altogether terrible, but certainly not for me. Like a blend of Hawaiian Punch and Wine Cooler plus 8% alcohol!

05-05-2008 03:02:50 | More by ChainGangGuy
goochpunch

1.27/5  rDev -41.2%

Pours out like a mix of grape and red Koolaid. Tiny head that leaves some spots of "lace." Has an odd artificial blueberry thing going on. I've had other blueberry beers and they actually smelled like real blueberries. Go figure. Not much else is going on. A little alcohol maybe. Wow, what a taste. Artificial sweetness and artificial fruit flavor (reminiscent of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss) dominating with some rancid graininess underneath. Finish and aftertaste taste exactly like Dimetapp. Really disgusting. Also there's some booziness. Mouthfeel has the slick and thick feel of a malt liquor with a stickiness from the sweetness here. Terrible.

05-05-2008 02:03:14 | More by goochpunch
philbe311

1.53/5  rDev -29.2%

A - Pours a murky blueish red color... Reminiscent of store bought grape juice... Little or no head or lace...

S - Sugary sweet... Blueberry... Perhaps some malt... Again reminiscent of store bought grape juice...

T - Surprisingly bitter... Blueberry and burnt sugar...

M - Bitter aftertaste... Not smooth...

D - I struggled to complete... Hopefully this doesn't sour me on other blueberry beers...

05-04-2008 01:57:15 | More by philbe311
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours very red light like a red wine with almost no head, with below average lacing. Below average carbonation with a sweet smell of Hawaiian Punch. Tastes bitter and sweet...but this stuff is awful. This is awful and tastes like fermented HI C. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid, Avoid Avoid, Avoid Avoid, Avoid Avoid, Avoid!

05-04-2008 01:17:05 | More by ATLbeerDog
woemad

Washington

2.75/5  rDev +27.3%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39. I knew I had come across mention of this beer before, but couldn't remember anything else. I was intrigued by a 8% "blueberry lager", and was puzzled by it's low price. That should have sent off warning bells, as no real micro would sell a high alcohol one-off/experimental beer (and what else would such a beer be?) as cheap as this was. Once I got home, I was chagrined to see that I had been manipulated into purchasing what appeared to be an A-B alco-pop. But, hell, I might as well review it...

Poured an honest-to-god red/purple color. Didn't expect that at all. A bubbly, lavender colored-head of about an inch formed and stuck around for a couple of minutes before receeding into spotty lace. I guess I'll call it good because I don't know if there are any style rules for a beer like this, and it didn't disappoint me in this area. If anything, I had thought it might be worse, with a fizzy, lightning-fast dropping head like what I'd associate with most macros.

The nose was very fruity. This is definitely geared towards those who favor bland sweetness, as the tartness that accompanies blueberries was conspicuous by it's absence. So far, it smells like I'd thought it would, except that I also figured for a bit of the usual cooking oil scent that one can usually expect from macros. Thankfully, this was absent, whether for it not being there in the first place or because the sweet blueberry smell was drowning it out, I couldn't say. Either way, while not being bowled over with delight, I expected this to smell a lot worse.

The taste is like the smell - sweet, syrupy blueberry flavors blotting out whatever else might be on hand. That includes hops and malts. I am grading it lower than the smell, however, because it's too sweet to keep from being cloying for long. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find it so sweet to be undrinkable, but there's no way in hell I'd have drank a second one upon finishing the bottle.

Mouthfeel was a little too sticky for a lager that's not, say, a huge doppelbock. If it finished a little more cleanly, it might actually be almost refreshing.

Drinkable in a small quantity, but only just. I didn't find it awful like some BAs, but wasn't impressed, either. I'm actually more pissed about how it's marketed. Instead of stating it's from Anheiser-Busch (and I freely admit that, because A-B is my least favorite of the Big III, I might have passed on it), the label states it's brewed by "Blue Dawg Brewing" of Baldwinsville, NY. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Blue Moon still states it's brewed by Coors or Molsen-Coors. Having a seemingly new brewing company from NY on the label, with a picture on the label that , more than anything else, reminded me of Flying Dog, is a fairly disingenuous way to market beer, especially for a corporation that criticizes the way that micros and craft brewers label their contract-brewed beers.

05-03-2008 21:58:03 | More by woemad
generallee

1.9/5  rDev -12%

It pours a light cranberry color with a pink head. The aroma is strong and full of blueberries and some malt notes. Its flavor is overwhelmingly fake and sweet with blueberries adding some tartness. Hop and malt flavors are barely detected. The palate is medium bodied with a sticky texture and the carbonation is fizzy.

05-03-2008 17:25:18 | More by generallee