Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -13.2%

Not the worst, but certainly not worth your time.

Appearance: It's purple. Beer should not be purple. It seems unnatural. This shows that they actively added coloring to make this unique or gimmicky.

Smell: This beer smells worse than it tastes. Skunky.

Taste: It tastes like someone dropped grape soda in a batch of yuengling. This does not taste like blueberries were in the mix, just flavoring

Mouthfeel: Nothing crazy, but this is not a taste you want to linger, which it does.

Drinkability: There is no need to drink this beer if you have any other beer around for the same price.

Note: My friend gave this to me, toting it as "the worst beer ever" not true, it's tolerable, but it's pretty bad.

runesead, Jul 01, 2009

This beer is, as they say, as close to a wine as they come - but it is not - it is just a good healthy, frothy lager. It pretends to be nothing else.

Blueberry is an understatement. The taste itself is sweet like blueberries right off the vine. It helps me recall an earlier day when beer was made from the ingredients that one found locally. It has no bad aftertaste and is truly a delicious brew.

Those who find this beer a bad option must be stuck in the mindset that beer must taste one way and one way only....but Wild Blue stands on its' own. The only surprising thing about Wild Blue is that it is made by those who bring us Budweiser. Will it hold up through the transition period to new ownership? I do not know - but if it does - then maybe reviewers who skewered this unique brew will be able to revisit and maybe change their minds.

TexSpence, Jun 18, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +95.4%

poured from bottle into weizen glass

a- pours with fairly thin body, a clear dark purple/pink with hints of ruby. which i think is a beautiful color. a good 2-3 finger soda pop-like head, that recedes to a thin covering that hangs around the whole time leaving decent lacing. this color is very different and very interesting, people will wonder what the hell you are drinking.

s- um.... blue berry. a very natural, fresh smelling blueberry, and possibly other berries. also i think i am getting red grape notes in the nose also. the alcochol is kinda strong but the overall sweetness of the beer masks the smell fairly well.

t- strong sweet blueberry syrup like taste from begining to finish. there is also notes in the back of the palate that i am interpreting as dark fruits. you can pick up the strong alcochol if you think about it, but again, it is masked very well by the overall sweetness. grape soda. this taste reminds me of grandmas fresh blueberry pancakes. il be honest i am not picking up much other than the berries and fruit. not very complex. just fruity, but enjoyable.

m- medium body. medium/ light carbonation. feels like a very sweet wine on the tongue, like a lambrusco. or slightly flat grape soda.

d- average price, slightly better than average taste and excellent drinkability. my girlfriend is not a huge beer drinker and she also enjoyed this one. its a "fruit/ vegitable beer" so it is pretty typically a girlie drink. i dont know how often i would go out of my way for this beer but i will definately be buying it for her again.

tj4288, Jun 18, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +18.7%

Split a sixer of wild blue with a friend the other day since he was raving about it.

A-Drank from the bottle (very entertaining cover art) but trickled some into a glass as I was curious to see the color. Purple...not very attractive.

S-The smell is a bit noxious...1/3 beer, 1/3 blueberry syrup, 1/3 rubbing alchohol.

T-I have mixed feelings about the taste. Overall it was somewhat enjoyable. It certainly isn't a good tasting beer, and it certainly isn't a good fruit drink, yet somehow I found it enjoyable. Odd...

M- Very much like soda...fizzy.

D- I wouldn't mind having a few for a change in pace, but I must say I was glad to have some PBR to wash it down and cleanse the palate.

Definately not something I'd drink regularly, but I would drink it again. More of a novelty drink with an 8 percent ABV.

lweaver18240, Jun 16, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -42.9%

Ok, it was dark, hot and I just wanted a beer. I grabbed one and slammed it back. Then I thought I'd take my time, and the second was not cold as ice could make it. Sickly medicinal off taste. But I perservered it was hot and I really wanted a beer, this was all that was left backstage. Then I got hit with a buzz, I got in the light and read 8percent ABV. So not only is it not good, but it's outright dangerous if you're looking for relief from the heat in a cold icy 4 percenter. Not that you'd ever want to session this crap anyway.

srrn, Jun 14, 2009

Grabbed a bottle of this not knowing this was brewed by A-B. My wife likes fruity beers so I thought I'd grab this one.

Pours a bright red like cranberry juice with an inch's worth of pink head. Seriously, this was pink. I was not expecting the color to be this 'fruity.' Smells like blueberry pancakes, candy, and tart fruits.

Mouthfeel was decent with a respectable amount of carbonation that made it pleasing to drink. Flavor was all fruit. I couldn't even sense the alcohol. I really thought this was fruit juice mixed with club soda. Nothing about this flavor tells me it's a beer. Very sweet and fruity. This was very different. Won't get it again.

Onenote81, Jun 14, 2009
2.3/5  rDev +5%

Yeah, Blue Dawg from Baldwinsville, NY, my favorite craft brewer! Nah, the only thing "craft" about this beer is how crafty A-B tried to be in disguising Wild Blue in small-brewer trappings. Whether you're a corporate giant or a homebrewer, shouldn't a good beer stand on its own merits without all the smoke and mirrors?

Apperance screams ALCO-POP with a not very natural-looking purple/violet body under a fizzy, short-lived pink head. I'm trying to fool myself into thinking this is a lambic. No dice. I dig weird beers, but the looks of this one don't really convince.

My nose was two feet from the bottle when I popped the cap, and the blueberry scent wafted over to where I was. How nice of it to do that. Upon closer inspection I get -- blueberry! The considerable 8% alcohol doesn't really come through in the nose, although there is a vinous quality (ie. cheap wine) that suggests fermented grapes.

The blueberry flavor has a tweak of grape baby aspirin, and the 8% alcohol comes through strong enough to mess up things even further. This just isn't the kind of beer where you want some alcohol warmth, is it? A stronger alcohol presence underscores and sometimes magnifies the flavors, but there's just not enough good stuff going on here to make that desirable. Some lemonade pucker to the finish, and lightly tart, like unripe grapes.

Mouthfeel? At this point it doesn't really matter, but I didn't find anything offensive about it. A bit fizzy, but also has a nice stick that I found likable. But, hard to anything but apathetic at this stage of the experience.

So...where's the lager? This just tastes like alcohol-infused grape/blueberry juice concentrate. I had an alco-pop once, can't quite remember the name, maybe Lizard-something-or-other--it's pretty sad that Wild Blue isn't quite as "good" as that. Had the flavor come through, all other aspects of this beer could be forgiven, but it doesn't perform that well, and I'm pretty sure I was an idiot for buying a six-pack. Too bad my wife has decent taste in beer and that my friends are smarter than I am--makes it hard to get rid of the other 5 bottles. Or maybe I'll experiment with thickening it up for a pancake topping. Or...uh...hey, anybody wanna trade?

Metalmonk, Jun 11, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -46.1%

Drank from the bottle. Poured some into a small glass just to get a good idea of the appearance.

The "beer" looks like a mix of grape juice and blue-raspberry kool-aid. The chemically purple head makes a fairly impressive appearance but dies off almost as quickly as it forms.

This smells like a blueberry, bubblegum cough syrup. There is a faint hint of alcohol but nothing else that would suggest this is a beer.

The first sip made me cringe. The initial taste of this medium bodied beverage is not just artificial but medicinal. It honestly tastes like someone took the cheapest malt liquor they could find and then poured all the blueberry flavored syrup they could get into this. This is honestly god awful.

SuperSpy, Jun 02, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Clear red/purple color. Poured a 2 finger reddish pink head with fair retention. Decanted like mad all the way through. Patchy, broken lacing that washed down the glass a bit. Kinda went downhill (fast) from here.

S: Pretty much just sweet blueberries; the sweet artificial kind - like blueberries with "white grape juice". Then more blueberries (unless there is a blueberry hop).

T: The strange got stranger. Definitely blueberry juice, but it was oddly sour/puckering at times. When I was a kid, my granddad used to give the kids a 7-up and wine concoction - this reminded me of that. All-in, it just didn't taste like it was beer.

M: Very light body. Ample carbonation; very fizzy.

D: Too sweet. Got tired of it real quick. Very few beers I will never drink again; this is one. Its like full-flavored Zima.

Haybeerman, May 19, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

shared among friends during a recent trip to Buffalo Wild Wings. An ~3oz pour from a 12oz bottle into a frosted glass (damn you BW3s.)

A - ruby/red, near purple. it's hard to say as it was dark in the restaurant. there was a 1cm pink head. no retention.

S - blueberries...or something like blueberries...it's more like that fake blueberry flavor you get with Laffy Taffy or something along that lines. there wasn't much else going on here.

T - very weird. it was overly sweet at times, yet nearly sour at ours. it started off with a touch of generic berry/cherry flavor that lead into a sour, almost plain yogurt like flavor, then there was some blueberries. I entirely agree with what one of the bros said. this beer might as well be a malt liquor with blueberry flavor. this is not beer.

M - light bodied. some carbonation.

D - this beer made my stomach hurt. it also tasted pretty shitty. never again.

bowersdm, May 17, 2009
1.2/5  rDev -45.2%

A: Pours a purple/pink color with a huge pink head. Weird.

S: Smells of blueberry syrup and cotton candy. Way overly sweet.

T: Terrible. Tastes like artificial blueberry syrup. Intensely sweet.

D: This is one terrible brew. For the life of me I can't understand why they would put this out.

rebel1771, May 16, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a neon purple with a pink head, this is a joke, right? it doesn't even look like a beer.

Nose is sweet blueberry muffins

Taste is like a sparkling grape wine, the fake kind you buy for the kids to drink on the Holidays.
One thing amazing about this beer is you cannot taste the 8% ABV at all, probably because of the extreme sweetness.

This beer is awful, I have had very few drain pours, but this was one.

I bought it for my wife, who likes fruity beers (especially blueberry) beers. She thought it was awful as well.

I'm glad I was able to buy a single of these, and not wasted my $$$ on a six pack. What deceived me was it says it is brewed by Blue Dawg Brewing in Baldingsville, NY, in fact, it's a AB product. Avoid this one, your drain will be happy!

FLBeerGuy, May 13, 2009
2.45/5  rDev +11.9%

This isn't beer, it's more like a blueberry wine cooler. I don't even know how they can call this beer. If you've ever had blueberry cream soda in Maine, it's that, but with alcohol mixed in.

A: Blueberry blue, darker. Looks like blueberry cream soda.

S: Smells like blueberry cream soda.

T: Tastes like an alcoholic blueberry cream soda. Sure, it tastes good, but I wanted beer, not a mix drink.

M: Soda.

D: You can drink one of them, then avoid them in the future.

I'd say overall it's worth a try just purely as a drink, but it's definitely not a beer.

JohnL9013, May 08, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +24.7%

Pale red/purple color with a pink head. Smell is very sweet. Taste hides the alcohol (8%) well, but the sweetness overpowers the other flavors. I had no idea this beer was 8.00% until I started realizing that I was buzzed as I was taking my last sip. Not terrible, but not extraordinary either.

gameface23, May 04, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I've always wanted to try this as it is one of their higher ABV brews. Pours a blueish color with a weak head. No berries in the nose or taste. Just artificial sweetener, adjuct malts and grassy hops. Watery body kind of sucks. Not worth the money or time to drink. Go with water.

rye726, May 01, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -22.4%

hahahah. i went to a liquor store with this sitting next to all the dark horse one,too,tree,fore beers... had all those... thought it was a darkhorse and if its anything like the blueberry stout i was all about it.

actually rather disgusting. pour is blue with a off blue head. smell is sweet blue berry with a taste of nothing but malt liquor and the fruit in Robitussin. the alcohol is not badly hidden though. tremendously sweet none the less. the label of the the blue dog kicking its blue berry dooks should have been a sure sign. i don't trust blue dogs. this beer is crap. a beer made for the alternative blue moon culture and that little sub group of beer awesome is not worth writing home about.

no thanks HIGHPA.

rtepiak, Apr 21, 2009

Like a combination of grape juice and medicine. It even looked liked juice when I poured it into the glass. I thought this was a craft beer, and when I tasted this garbage I had to find out more, I am very suprised that even AB would put this out. Avoid at all costs.

robhunta, Apr 15, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Purple and clear... purple. Candy-blueberry aroma. Taste is malt liquor kick in the teeth, with strong alcohol profile and blueberry cough mediciney flavor. I can't say I'm digging this brew. Mouthfeel is weak and watery, surprising for its abv but not for its simple nature. Finish is blueberry sweet, but again its of the artificial variety (think kids cereal or candy). This wasn't very drinkable.

dude, Apr 13, 2009

I, like many others, bought this beer accidentally thinking that it might be like Blue Paw Wheat Ale which I kinda like. I also thought that the 8% alcohol by volume might be interesting. However, try as I might I simply could not force myself to drink this; honestly, I did try. It looked like cool aid, smelled like blueberry jam, tasted perfectly dreadful with an even more horrible aftertaste. It also had the effect of something like cold duck or some horrible drink from the seventies. Had I seen anything on it that connected it to Busch, I would have steered clear but it is quite deceptive. Giving this scum a drinkability score would imply that it was drinkable and trust me...it was not. I have never ever poured beer or ale down the drain, but I did with this. The terrible thing is that I actually bought this. God help me!

wovoka, Apr 10, 2009
1.27/5  rDev -42%

"What's this Wild Blue Lager," I asked the waitress.
"Well, it's fruity and nobody really orders it."
CHALLENGE
I poured this into a pint glass and, like everyone else, was impressed by how quickly the head dissipated, giving me more ample room to put my lips without fear of destroying a delicate lace. I'd agree with the "pie filling" analogy I've seen on here, as well as the word "malternative." Some have said they found it at least drinkable--I don't believe it. Those people must be smokers with no live tastebuds. This stuff was too nasty to have more than one of (and I had to force the whole thing down).

But what really hurt my feelings was that the bottle doesn't say it's AB. I found that out just now. I thought it was just a cruddy niche-microbrew with one novelty beer, but no, it's a Macro with a front. How depressing.

saztheorybook, Apr 09, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +9.6%

I think this beer has a certain merit - I can drink this junk like it's fanta grape soda. I like good beer and a refined palate just like I like Argentinian tenderloin and a black-fruity, spicy malbec. But, I wanted to chug something and make it worth it (i.e. 8%). Better 'n chugging Arrogant Bastard and WASTING money.

seeeaaan, Apr 08, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -13.2%

I was home last night and decided that watching the office would be much better if i had some beer. Well, what isn't better with a few. So i decided to check this out.

Bad idea. taste of a malternative as it has been put, and incredibly sweet. felt like an ok beer with blueberry sauce. As a hop head myself, I should have gone for the inversion like i had the night before, but poor judgement dampened my sunday evening. And I wasn't even drunk yet!

Steer far clear of this "beer."

unless you have a vagina.

flynnc, Apr 06, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +17.8%

My friend recently brought over a bottle of Wild Blue, and we watched France kick England's ass and had a few.

Appearance: Dark brown color with a slight blue coloring, nothing special or out of the ordinary.

Smell: blueberry scent is notable, not a particularly strong smell. Probably dampened by the natural flavors added.

Taste: sweet blueberry smell that overpowers the beer taste, goes down smooth, aftertaste is mediocre. Almost too sweet

Mouthfeel: typical lager, not to thick not too thin. Mouthful of sediment wasn't pleasant

Drinkability: a few at a time will do you, as the sweet blueberry flavor can get to you

mikeal1917, Apr 04, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +68.9%

I guess I am in the minority but I found Wild Blue refreshing & look forward to popping a few open when the Summer heat arrives.

For me it's not a beer so there is no point in my trying to act all beer snobby about Wild Blue. It is something more along the lines of a Zima, a blueberry Zima. It's purple, it's fizzy, it's fruity tasting, & it's carbonated. I will enjoy Wild Blue when the weather heats up a bit as in the Summer I am not always looking for a heavy beer when it 98° outside. This fruity concoction with an 8% kick will fit the bill for me & the price is fairly reasonable too.

bamatt, Apr 04, 2009
1.13/5  rDev -48.4%

i don't think i have much to add that has not already been said with regards to this beverage, but i will pile on just out of sheer disgust for what my palate was subjected to last night.

pouring a medium to dark purple in my glass, and leaving an ever so very slight and quickly disappearing "head" akin to grape soda or the fruity St. Ide's malt beverages introduced in the 1990's...this beverage immediately showed its true "colors" so to speak.

the smell was eerily reminiscent of what we can imagine the marriage of cold syrup and kool-aid might smell like.

the taste... *sigh* ...the taste was...not very good. the debt owed to cough syrup is evident in the drink, along with a malty blueberry soda-like backend. the 8.0% alcohol content was relatively well hidden by the bad taste.

mouthfeel was not harsh; neither was it smooth. it was, in a word, odd.

the subtlety of the alcohol content should serve the drinkability aspect of this beverage well, but the sheer nastiness of the sum of its other parts made it something i didn't even want to finish.

as an aside, i know this beverage is called a lager but what i drank hardly tasted like one. this beverage brought wine coolers or Hard Lemonades to mind more than beer, though it doesn't fully fit in that category either. i'll leave it at that

sirdrinkwell, Mar 30, 2009