Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Corvato

North Dakota

3.65/5  rDev +68.2%

As a non-beer drinker, this isn't bad. tastes like blueberries, with little bitterness, just some sweetness

8% alc gets you hit hard and fast compaired to what non-beer drinkers usually have to deal with, at 4-5 % alc.

tastes closer to a mixed drink or wine cooler, but i don't mind, its still good.

09-07-2008 00:03:23 | More by Corvato
JasonA

3.65/5  rDev +68.2%

EDIT: Drink at your own risk during sporting events. I am confident this is the reason my team lost Saturday. Buyer BEWARE!!!1!11!!

Ive read the reviews, good and bad. Im going to give this Blueberry Lager, Fruit/Veg beer a fair shake.

Pours like a carbonated grape soda, with more remarkable lacing for a lager. Not much head, and it doesnt stay. I would have liked more head.

Smells like a Blueberry Boone's or other malt beverage. I dont get much of any lager, though I might catch grain, though also maybe rice :(. Gonna give it a 3, only because the lager side brings down the Fruit side.

Wow, impressive. Blueberry, light malt, non fructose finish, with what might be a hint of hops. Overall much better than the A and S. I was worried the blueberry sweetness was going to overpower the taste.

Sits very well, blueberry's are well balanced against lager and carbonation. Dissapation in the mouth is perfect.

Not sure I would drink a lot of these, though if blueberry is your thing, this is for you!

09-06-2008 21:03:17 | More by JasonA
BeerCon5

2.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a clear violet color with very little pinkish head.

The scent is mostly blueberries, nothing else really.

The taste is also mostly blueberries. Very sweet.

Light bodied, fairly thing with some fizzy carbonation.

This is easy to drink one or two after two it is just way too sweet. This reminds me more of a malt beverage than a beer. I don't think I can ever drink this again.

09-03-2008 15:36:29 | More by BeerCon5
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.8/5  rDev +29%

Pours a three finger pink head that fades quickly, leaving some lace. Cloudy red color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Slight blueberry nose. Flavor is sweet blueberry more like a fruit drink with hints of hops. The 8% ABV is totally hidden. As a beer it is a one, as a refreshing beverage it's a three or so. $1.33 for a 12oz bottle from Manchester Wine and Liquors Manchester, CT

09-01-2008 22:30:44 | More by jdhilt
beerthulhu

2.28/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Poured a bright and vibrant cranberry-plum color with a thin, fizzy grape-pinkish hued head that was quick to dissipate leaving no lacing. Gave this an extra half-point for its unique and vibrant color like none I ever seen before.

S: sugary blueberries, grapejuice like aroma.

T: The initial flavor was very juice-like and way, way to sugary. Diabetic shock, sugary. Blueberry juice and loads of sugar and not much else could be detected. Very limited flavor wise and way overkill, could not believe this was even alcohol in this let alone the reported 8.0%abv. Overall a sugary sweeet wine cooler, and have trouble regarding this as a actual beer.

M: light, watery and extremely soft in carbonation, almost juice like consistency.

D: Drinkability suffers here due to its extreme overkill of sugary sweetness. Even one is far to much at times, not bad flavor wise just way overkill hinders this. Keep a glucose meter handy and don't say I didn't warn you.

08-27-2008 22:38:35 | More by beerthulhu
juzy

Alaska

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

I can put up with some crap, but I had to dump this one after 2 or 3 sips. Even my fruit beer-loving sister couldn't stomach it.

It's deceiving to start. It looks pretty, nice color and the head retention seemed average, white, small bubbles. Couldn't drink enough to see if the lacing was any good.

The smell was deceiving, not great, I knew from the smell that the taste would be "interesting". Fake blueberry scent, alcohol, reminded me of some of those fake blueberry cereals that are on the market.

Taste was horrid. "Interesting" isn't even the right word here. I didn't know this was an AB product until later that night when I had more time to look over the label. First sip I thought my palate may have been tainted. Second sip, no better, it was strong with unnatural blueberry flavor and that's all I could taste, I couldn't get past it to find anything else. Just gross. I've had waaay better blueberry ales, this doesn't come close by any stretch of the imagination.

Drinkability? Not. Don't even try this for your non- beer friends as an entry level beer. They'll hate beer and you forever!

I don't usually trash a beer like this, I try to find some redeeming quality, but there is none in this

08-20-2008 14:45:27 | More by juzy
thekevlarkid

Maryland

1.13/5  rDev -47.9%

OK, seriously, can Anheuser Busch make a good beer? WTF is this thing? I poured it and was surprised to see a liquid like fizzy cranberry juice. Magenta beer? Purple foam? Smells like artificial flavor over hard alcohol. Upon tasting I see why. This brew is a whopping 8% and the heavy use of fake flavoring is there to cover the bottom shelf liquor flavor up. There is nothing but fake blueberry to taste. Like a Smirnoff Ice only stronger, sweeter and harder to drink. I can barely call this beer. It's only saving grace is it does have a semi-decent head upon pouring that laces nicely as you drink it. But I was glad when I was done drinking it. Steer clear oh beloved readers.

08-20-2008 14:36:09 | More by thekevlarkid
Halcyondays

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours fuschia with a mild off-pink head with good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like Lindeman's Framboise, pretty cool.

S: Medicinal fake blueberry, light malt.

T: Taste is pretty much artificial blueberry, which would be all right if it went for a Kool-Aid vibe, but it had these notes that reminded me of Red Grape Dimetapp - do you remember this stuff? Just not a good flavour, it had hints of bearability, but in the end it wasn't enjoyable.

M: Starts off solid and lightly viscous, but becomes simple carbonation almost immediately, doesn't hold it's own.

D: If I cared to, I could have forced myself to drink this over an hour or so. But it just sat there in my glass, and I eventually dumped it.

08-19-2008 02:33:34 | More by Halcyondays
treyrab

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a pint glass

A: The appearance is dark purple, very lively carbonation. I was excited for a second that this could be a framboise-style ale. Wow, I was wrong

S: The smell is of tons of blueberries and some malt kicked around in the nose

T: Well the words drain pourer come to mind on this one. The taste is of blueberries soaked in alcohol with cereal grains thrown into the mix.

Overall, I was not fond of this beer. Many of my friends who know nothing about beer liked it...go figure!

08-19-2008 02:29:28 | More by treyrab
diabecktic

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance:
For all of the descriptive wording on the bottle lauding its blueberry-ness, its color really makes me think that it's derived from something more like a blackberry or boysenberry. It seems to be fairly heavily carbonated, too. Head retention, formation, and lacing are all minimal.

Smell:
Well, at least it smells like blueberry - in a bastardized, synthetic sort of way. Other than that, there really isn't too much there in terms of nose. There doesn't appear to be any hop or malt aromas - just blueberry.

Taste:
Again, it basically tastes like a blueberry. I'm really wanting to question why the brewers put the word "beer" on the bottle. There just doesn't seem to be any hop or malt character to speak of - the very things that define beer. The %ABV is fairly high, but you can't really taste it due to the overwhelming blueberry flavor. It seems to be very heavily added and/or synthetic - not very natural at all and very sweet.

Mouthfeel:
Someone else said it best; the consistency is best analogous to something like syrup. Perhaps the brewer(s) just added blueberry-flavored high fructose corn syrup to the finished product. All things aside, its fairly thick given its consistency.

Drinkability:
You would have to drink this by itself (not with a meal or anything). It's pretty thick and tastes like something was added to this "beer" after it was brewed, rather than added during the brewing process.

Summary:
This "beer" is basically a wine cooler in a bottle. It seems to lack both the defining flavors that are associated with beer and the resulting balance that can only exist by virtue of possessing both hop and malt flavors. If you're in for something sweet that lacks bitterness and balance, then this is for you. Otherwise, there's not really a whole lot here except for what the label says - blueberry (even then it doesn't look much like a blueberry).

08-16-2008 01:22:50 | More by diabecktic
DmanGTR

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%

A - poured purplish magenta red with 3/4" pink head from a vigorous pour that left a ring. Very slight lacing. At least the head looked somewhat cool.

S - Blueberry syrup... not blueberries. It smells too fake. Alcohol. Might as well just dump some vodka into blueberry juice.

T - I simply could not finish it. It tasted like blueberry syrup mixed with cough medicine. A medicinal bitterness and high fructose corn syrup also came up. Alcoholic finish.

M - medium/light bodied with medium carbonation. Syrupy stickiness.

D - it's drinkable... if you like Smirnoff malt drinks. The alcohol may catch up to you. I don't know because I couldn't take more than 4 sips.

Overall - Like I said before, it looks cool but that's all it has. This is basically something that Smirnoff should have come up with and maybe then it'll taste better. Otherwise, try it once and forget about it.

08-14-2008 21:43:47 | More by DmanGTR
maddogruss

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours an amber body with bluish, purple hues. Small, light purple head with not retention or lacing to note.

S: A strong, blueberry smell with some alcohol undertones.

T: Does not taste good at all. Reminds me of blueberry flavored Robitussin with a nasty, alcoholic aftertaste. Does not taste good AT ALL!

M: A very light and slightly watery mouthfeel that was also unimpressive.

D: Not a very drinkable beer. My friend brought over a six=pack and, other than the two we had to try it, no one else has opened one. Not a good beer and not recommended.

08-09-2008 00:44:03 | More by maddogruss
jasonjlewis

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

Looks like pale purple blueberry juice. There is a small head but the retention is pretty good.

Smell is of cheap artifical blueberry juice. It wasn't very strong at first. As I let it breathe, the smell become stronger. It's still not very good though.

The taste is absolutely awful. It tastes like cheap macro lager mixed with cheap artificial blueberry juice. Simply nasty.

The beer has a juice like mouthfeel that mixes a slight cloyingness with a dryness. Not particularly good.

Avoid this beer. This is awful stuff. I was lucky that I got only one bottle and didn't waste my money on the six pack.

08-08-2008 04:54:09 | More by jasonjlewis
KIX

Missouri

1.95/5  rDev -10.1%

I am disappointed. This tastes like Peels or heavily spiked grape soda. I did not pick up on any beer qualities. The high alcohol content is a plus. Sadly, it is the only good thing going for Wild Blue. I am afraid I wouldn't be able to stomach more than 2, because his "beer" is just WAY TOO SWEET. The aftertaste is heavy in the mouth, and leaves the tongue and teeth with an unpleasant sour coating.

08-04-2008 02:07:59 | More by KIX
ltjska04

Kentucky

2.38/5  rDev +9.7%

I, like many, was fooled by this beer sitting on the shelves of my local Kroger. "Oh, an award-winning blueberry lager by some brewery I've never heard of? I should try it" I thought. Bad idea. The appearance of this "beer" is ruby, and the taste is almost like a sweet cranberry and vodka. It doesn't taste like beer at all and is way too sweet for me to drink more than two of these at a time. The 8% alcohol made me reach for this recently only to cap off my buzz and help get rid of this misleading brew.

08-03-2008 05:32:41 | More by ltjska04
hitokiri

2.13/5  rDev -1.8%

O.K., my experience with this one is much like everyone elses. It was my anniversary the other night, and my girlfriend and I wanted to pick up a couple six packs. She went with some pomegranate Bacardi Mojitos, and then proceeded to rush me in my selection. I had seen this one for a couple weeks and was intrigued by it. Unfortunately I couldn't remember the name when I tried to find reviews on it. Needless to say, despite all the other great beers my local grocery store has, I ended up with THIS one.

I was alerted to my mistake when opening the first one since it had a twist cap.

It poured, to my surprise, dark purple with a purplish head that lasted a minute or two.

VERY berry smell, and consiquently, VERY berry syrup flavor. I had to actually TRY to taste the beer in this.

Mouthfeel wasn't too awful bad, there was just so much syrup taste.

Drinkability was a bit hard, but not so much I couldn't finish them. After you have a couple they are easier to go down, still not easy though...

This just tasted way too much like some kind of wierd wine.

I was hoping, and really wanting something more like a lambic, or atleast with more actual beer in it. Oddly enough, my girlfriend thought it was "great", she is also not much into beer and tends to like what I don't though...

Reading the bottom of the box, and finding out who actually makes this, it is clear that AB just sent some Bud (or maybe even Busch or Nattie Lite) to Texas to have some blueberry syrup dumped in it.

07-31-2008 21:08:17 | More by hitokiri
Donnie2112

Alaska

1.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Did not seek this one out, my roommate has been into fruit beers lately and picked this one up. I am not a fruit beer guy.

This beer is purple, that said it has some nice head or it would be nice if it weren't purple. There is also some light purple lace. Interesting

smells like a bag of frozen blueberries

tastes like frozen blueberries, not much else just blueberries, there's a bit of an alcohol bite but that's about it. I don't taste the malts I don't taste any hops. Just blueberry, it's almost like it's blueberry soda or something

rather light and thin, this is the most disconcerting thing about this beer. It has no body to accompany the flavor

I suppose it's great if you just like blueberry soda more then you do beer, it's almost like you could've taken to shots of vodka dropped it in a pint glass filled said pint glass a quarter of the way with concentrated blueberry juice and then added carbonated water. It seems like there is no reason for this to even be beer. Why go to the trouble of actually brewing beer when this is your aim? Needless to say, NOT MY THING

Unfortunately I drain poured this one.

07-29-2008 01:54:24 | More by Donnie2112
meatmallet

3.08/5  rDev +41.9%

Purplish red with no head. Light carbonation rises from the bottom in a constant stream.

Smells like what it is blueberry beer.

Tastes like a mix between blueberry and grape juice. Reminds me more of juice than beer.

Mouthfeel is good and carbonation is just right.

Overall its not bad but I dont think I could drink more than one of these.

07-28-2008 04:46:03 | More by meatmallet
BobbyBeerman

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%

I thought that this looked interesting on the shelf. When I got it home and poured it I was more than a little shocked.

A: Purple. The thing is purple. Light head fading fast. Cloudy with apparent light carbonation.

S: Berry. There is something else there but I can't put my finger on it. The berry is strong.

T: Berry and alcohol. It weighs in at 8.0% ABV so I expected a little alcohol taste.

M: Light body, flat - low carbonation, a little harsh on the palate.

D: I would label it "not that easy to drink" and leave it at that. It just tastes like they were trying to do too much with it. It was interesting to experience it.

07-26-2008 02:44:49 | More by BobbyBeerman
albern

2.65/5  rDev +22.1%

The beer looks like a lager beer with lots of grape/blueberry juice added. It is the most purpley beer color I think I've seen. The beer has a bit of head, some lacing, but this dissipates pretty quickly. The aroma is bubblegum, sweetner, fruit juice, but there is a mustiness in the background that gives this thing away.

The taste is just way too in your face grape juice and lager mixed. It is not that interesting until the finish where there is a nutty, slightly drying taste. The back end also suffers from a throaty ABV burn, that is just unbalanced with the rest of this beer. This beer is hard to digest after awhile and it really isn't that good. This is a beer with adjunct sweetner, but in this case, it was just over the top and badly compromised any integrity this thing may have had.

07-25-2008 23:46:14 | More by albern
orangemoustache

2.53/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a diluted blood red with a tall pinkish head that retains nicely leaving behind some of the best lacing I've seen in a while.The nose is reminding me of new tire smell,very plasticy,some slight berry,but not fresh smelling.The taste is cheap and sugary.Mostly wild berry and some grape juice flavors.There is almost no mouthfeel,thin and watery with low carbonation.The alcohol seems well hidden,tho with some more alcohol flavors this may have somthing else to talk about,this one is very one dimentional.

07-22-2008 16:44:24 | More by orangemoustache
justincolts

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev +14.3%

I was really excited about this when I saw it, as I love blueberries and it mentioned some awards that were won. I saw the 8%abv and thought "whoa". It is designed to look like a microbrew but is brewed by A-B. It pours very purple like a limbic or a fruit juice and is kind of acidic. It doesn't have much beer taste too it but more like a fruit juice. I can drink it but I'm disappointed.

07-22-2008 00:20:48 | More by justincolts
bort11

Missouri

1.55/5  rDev -28.6%

12 oz bottle poured into an over sized mug. Tall fizzy purple/blue head. Color is a dark grape soda purple. Even though I know it's a blueberry beer, that color is really off-setting.

Smell some grainy malt characteristics, but the syrupy sweet blueberries is overwhelming. Tastes like carbonated IHOP blueberry syrup.

I think the higher ABV is to get you jacked up so you do realize what it is you are drinking. I think high school cheerleaders will love this.

Sometimes you have to experience the really bad in order to appreciate the really good.

07-21-2008 01:42:02 | More by bort11
Garzan72

South Carolina

1.45/5  rDev -33.2%

This was my first blueberry lager. I swore that I liked the taste of blueberries but know I am not sure anymore. It smelled like a grape/blueberry juice (not beer). It Tasted exactly as it smelled and left a anasty tart after taste. The mouthfeel was that great, I think it was like drinking a sparkling wine. Drinkablitlity- Baqrely got through this thing.

07-20-2008 09:47:37 | More by Garzan72
TheViceBlog

2.05/5  rDev -5.5%

I had been seeing this beer on the shelf for a few weeks and was intrigued to try it. A fruit beer at 8%. Wow. You don't see that very often.

I popped the top and the smell was kinda magnificent. Potent and powerful, packed with blueberries. The first sip wasn't so bad either. It was all downhill from there. This beer is borderline undrinkable and I struggled to finish it. The problem is that it doesn't even really taste like beer. Just very viscous blueberry juice. Actually, it's almost more grape-like. I can't believe this isn't made by Welch's. Or Manischewitz. Only later did I learn who truly makes this abomination: Anheuser-Busch.
It's quite sleazy how AB has clearly tried to design their bottle to look "microbrew-esque" and to dupe fools like me into trying it. For shame. And, how absolutely bizarre that the near highest ABV beer in their massive collection is a blueberry lager. But, this is clearly not flavored with real blueberries. It's a potent force of artificial flavors and colors (this beer appears more purple than Grimace) that totally mask the alcohol. Not a good thing in this case.

Aaron