Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Wild BlueWild Blue

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 581 | Hads: 1,508
1.36/5  rDev -36.4%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent.

4.83/5  rDev +125.7%

A very solid beer for people who can't palate beer. Also, very dangerous because if you were like me you didn't realize it was 8% abv until after drinking 3 of them!

1.18/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

SO. This was in the premium section near all the locals and the Sierra Nevadas and etc. DID NOT realise it was AB Schwill. 8 percent, eh? So basically I'm figuring they brew some adjunct high gravity crap, then pour in some high fructose chemical blueberry shit, and WHAM there ya have it. Kinda misleading packaging and website. I expected a craft beer with some light fruit notes. I got gypped by macro garbage. GMO fructose headache, here I come!!!

1.7/5  rDev -20.6%

So A-b makes this stuff but it's so bad they don't put there name anywhere on the bottle. Too sweet. I don't waste beer I drank them all and they'll get you pretty lit but this is some of the worst beer I've ever had

3.71/5  rDev +73.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Despite the hating here, this was tasty as heck. Pours _blue_ with a finger of _blue_ head, which both retains and laces. Aroma is blueberry. Taste is blueberry. Lack of booziness at 8% is fantastic and sweetness is nice. Girly or not, this stuff is fantastic.

2.34/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours purple-red with thin head and modest bubbles. Lots of blueberry aroma as you might expect with some tartness and malt notes. Tastes like fizzy kool-aid with a little spice. Too sweet.

1.16/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Smells extremely sweet with an off-putting blueberry scent (smells way too smeet) and alcohol. The main off putter for me was the texture of this thing. It almost tastes like syrup. Won't be seeking this out again.

1.58/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark purple with a blue-ish hued head. The smell was very heavy with alcohol. The taste was not as bad as I was expecting, but still way too sweet with heavy alcohol burn. The texture was also far too syrupy for me. Not a fan.

2.04/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours with a small, purple head. Looks just like grape juice. Has an aroma of blueberries, malts, and alcohol that combines to create a slightly unpleasant aroma. Initial taste is sweet from the blueberries, but aftertaste is bitter from the combination of malts and alcohol. Overall, a poor beer. But I have had worse.

3.83/5  rDev +79%

Sweet and crisp, drank straight from the bottle. It was very blue/purple, and claims to have juice, which leads me to want it to be considered a shandy. I don't know if there is any beer rules that say it can't be a shandy, but it was too sweet for me to call a lager. Great beer to get drunk on, being 8% and tasting like lightly carbonated juice. No bitter flavors during or after conumption. Don't let the kids near it.

4.13/5  rDev +93%

I can understand why some hard core purists would dislike this beer. It's sweet and does remind you of a grape soda. But I liked it. My wife LOVED it! At 8% it has a nice kick and I get to enjoy the taste of blueberries.

First sip of this "lager" is nothing like what you probably expected when you ventured out to give this new concept of brew a try. The taste from beginning to end is somewhat of a dull blueberry soda that has been overwhelmed by syrup. The only reason I gave it a 2 star rating is because,for some reason, despite this taste description, it is bearable to drink as a CARBONATED MALT BEVERAGE but completely unrelatable to beer and any classic lager brews.

3.5/5  rDev +63.6%

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a red solo cup (classy)
Aroma- This is a blueberry brew, very strong aroma.
Appearance- uhhmm, purple, very purple with no head
Taste- I was pretty floored by the flavor, very enjoyable. Has a pretty high alcohol content that is hidden in the berry flavor.
Palate- A medium bodied brew with heavy carbonation and a real crisp feel.
Overall- I enjoyed this beer and I had several sitting by the pool. I recommend this for a summer outing.

3.47/5  rDev +62.1%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a dark purple-red. Fairly hazy. Basically no head.

Smell - 4.5/5
As soon as I opened the bottle, I could smell STRONG blueberry smells. I didn't even have to put my nose near the glass. When I do take a closer smell, I smell blueberry, bubblegum, cherry. Perhaps a tiny bit of alcohol smell. While the smell is very strong, it's a nice smell

Taste - 3/5
Tastes very similar to a Founder's Rubaeus, except perhaps more blueberry tasting than raspberry tasting. For a fruit beer, it's pretty good. I think I'd still prefer a Founder's Rubaeus over this any day, but I could see this being a nice dessert beer, complementing a blueberry pie or something. I think the fruit flavor is a little too strong. It barely still tastes like beer (though if you try hard to sense it, there is still a little bit of beer taste to the brew). The thing I like about the Rubaeus is that it still tastes like beer. This, not so much

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Right when I took my first sip of this beer, I noticed the mouthfeel. The beer is crisp and the carbonation is light yet still has a nice bite. The beer is probably light to medium body.

Overall - 3/5
I got this beer as part of a build-your-own 6-pack, because it looked interesting. Overall, I won't say I was disappointed, as I didn't really know what to expect to begin with. But it's an OK take on a fruit beer. Probably wouldn't get again though. The fruit flavor is a little too strong, and it doesn't really taste like beer.

Artificial, sticky sweet, syrupy, overly carbonated, hints of cough syrup. This is more wine cooler than beer, and it even makes a mess of being that. I am not sure how they still make this stuff.

Would not drink again.

I'll start by being honest. AB did it. They dressed up a beer as craft, hoping to snare unsuspecting drinkers, and they won.

It tastes like cough syrup, both on the palate and in the aftertaste. It's simply shocking. I've long clamored for a blueberry beer that is so intensely blueberry that it pours purple, and thought that this might be the answer to my prayers, but no. A higher-than-expected ABV (8%) gives it some *super* slight merit, but it can't save the beer overall. I'd recommend steering clear.

3.75/5  rDev +75.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wild Blue Lager has a medium, fizzy, pink head, which maintains itself much longer that one would expect, a clear, ruby-red, bubbly appearance, and splotchy lacing. Aroma is of grainy, pungent lager beer and acidic blueberry juice. Taste is the same, with essentially no noticeable bitterness, but definite fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, and filling, and Wild Blue Lager finishes wet, sweet, and heavy. Not a beer for me, but still well-crafted and executed.

This is my wife's favorite beer, and I make a great effort to never run out of of Wild Blue. One Wild Blue and my wife is "Happy"! And when she's happy, she is always in the mood to make me happy. Anyone who gives this brew a bad score does so because it is an unconventional beer flavor. It tastes like the Blue Berries it is made from. The flavor is so intense that I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy this girly beer, but then, I love Blueberry pie!

2.5/5  rDev +16.8%

Watered down grape juice..Watered down grape juice....Oh sorry, you were waiting for my review. If you are looking for some mild juice to go with your breakfast or something to quench the thirst real fast, this is it. Beer, I do not think so. Oh well...

3.56/5  rDev +66.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is not a 2.18 beer. Even if you do not like sweet beers, it cannot be that bad. The purple color is interesting and the fact that this is an 8 abv is impressive in and of itself. Flavor is good. If I can point to a flaw it might be the lack of head and carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +122%

BA score 53? The BROS 42??? Really??
As other good folks here with taste have commented, this beer is great. Yea, it's owned by the Bud
but it's actually brewed in upstate NY (Syracuse), my old stomping grounds. A respectable part
the city too; very well to do. They always had the best sports teams that kicked our ass back in
the day. Granted, this has nothing to do with the beer quality but it helps give me confidence
that this wasn't a creation out of the St. Louis vats in quantum.
Burns well, tastes good-and actually has real blueberry syrup added. Don't drink too much -
this is an 8% beer that has a KICK. I know, I sound like an AB whore, but was surprised that it was
owned by them. Very sweet, so if you don't like a sweet kick in your ass don't buy it.

3.75/5  rDev +75.2%

What can I say? I like blueberry.
Wild Blue is one of the better fruit-flavored beers that I've had and will get you where you're going--if you aren't going too far.

3.19/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance.

Appearance : Wow. I was not expecting a purple lager. I was expecting more of a golden color with a blueberry smell. Very nice. Deep, smashed blueberry color with a nice fluffy 1 finger head that retains quite well.

Smell : Lots and lots of ripe blueberries. Some tartness from other fruit, like raspberry perhaps. Unfortunately underneath that smell is a Bud Light/Miller Light type of corn lager smell that seems to ruin whatever craft the blueberry is attempting to grasp. I'm gonna have to dock it a bit.

Taste : This isn't half bad, the blueberry surfaces pretty nicely, if perhaps a bit fermented; but there's an alcoholic kick to it that really takes over and dismembers the blueberry flavor like an ancient samurai warrior. Some grape flavors are also present. I want to say it's almost like a strong cheap Arbor Mist...and hey, Arbor Mist has its place - but usually it's not packaged in a beer bottle. Nonetheless I keep wanting to drink it, so that's gotta count for something.

Mouthfeel : About like an average macro lager. It fits what's going on here, I can't say much more or less than that. I'm not expecting craft quality - I'm expecting Annheuser-Busch, so I'm not too terribly let down.

Overall : This beer is kinda cool. Everything from the color to the flavor to the lay-you-on-your-ass ABV is pretty neat. It's worth a try, and not half as bad as some of these folks claim it to be. I have to laugh when they talk about German and American hops in the beer. Really? Where did they go? A ratio of 99% malt and 1 % hops doesn't really equate to much. There are no hops to be detected.

1.56/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle in a glass. Pours purple like a grape soda, head and all. Head and lacing are non-existent after a few seconds, though. Surprised to see it was Anheuser-Busch that brewed such an experimental beer. In my opinion, a true craft beer pushes the limit against tradition, and this blueberry "lager" seems to aspire to do that. But the smell is more on the artificial grape side than natural blueberry. Surprisingly, the taste is light, sugary, and juice-like even with 8% ABV. Reminds me of those nasty fruit flavored MD 20/20 liquors they sell at the gas station. Lots of carbonation, very sweet, fruity, and no hops. Strange aftertaste. There is definitely room for improvement, and this style is not for everyone. Perhaps they should have put the blueberry flavor in the background and brought out more wheat and hops to the surface so that it actually tastes like a beer. I won't buy another one.

4.5/5  rDev +110.3%

I don't understand the hate on this beer . It's an 8% blueberry beer .
It is very sweet and that's why I didn't rate it a 5. I usually don't like fruity beer but this
I love . I also heard that the UFO raspberry is another good one and that's
Going to be my next beer . If you want any blueberry beer ,
This is what you're gonna want !

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch