Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 586 | Hads: 1,520
3.62/5  rDev +68.4%

The sweetness hides the 8% abv. If you're into Smirnoff ice or mikes hard it may be up your alley if you want something with a higher abv. Not my thing but it's good for what it is.

1.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I found this upsetting. I sent my best friend eleven texts attempting to articulate my displeasure after consuming a entire bottle. It's cloyingly sweet and MAYBE if this marriage of flavor were attempted with an IPA it would be passable but as a lager it's not working out, no bitterness to cut through. The color is also unsettling. Very flat, ultimately tastes like an accident.

1.99/5  rDev -7.4%

Disturbing bluish purple color. Smells like fake blueberries. Tastes like a boozy blueberry malt beverage. Absolutely watery with no carbonation and a boozy aftertaste.
I didn't see the front of the label and immediately realized my mistake upon the first sip. Major oops. It's Anheuser Bush.

4.88/5  rDev +127%

Not for everyone, but for those who really do not like the bitterness of most beers this is great way to go. Yes it is sweet. Yes it does really taste like blueberries with a little beer in the background (compared to other blueberry ales that taste like 90% beer with a little blueberry put in just to say it is there). For me that is much preferable to those "fake blueberry ales". But it is very drinkable and is remarkably refreshing. However be careful not to forget it is an 8% brew and if you down it like a soda or fruit drink, it will kick you. Anheuser-Busch got it right.

1.18/5  rDev -45.1%

I'm a woman and I thought this fruity "beer" was gross. I had to pour it out. The potential buzz off the 8% couldn't convince me to choke it down. I'm sad for this beer.

1.36/5  rDev -36.7%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent.

4.83/5  rDev +124.7%

A very solid beer for people who can't palate beer. Also, very dangerous because if you were like me you didn't realize it was 8% abv until after drinking 3 of them!

1.18/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

SO. This was in the premium section near all the locals and the Sierra Nevadas and etc. DID NOT realise it was AB Schwill. 8 percent, eh? So basically I'm figuring they brew some adjunct high gravity crap, then pour in some high fructose chemical blueberry shit, and WHAM there ya have it. Kinda misleading packaging and website. I expected a craft beer with some light fruit notes. I got gypped by macro garbage. GMO fructose headache, here I come!!!

1.7/5  rDev -20.9%

So A-b makes this stuff but it's so bad they don't put there name anywhere on the bottle. Too sweet. I don't waste beer I drank them all and they'll get you pretty lit but this is some of the worst beer I've ever had

3.71/5  rDev +72.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Despite the hating here, this was tasty as heck. Pours _blue_ with a finger of _blue_ head, which both retains and laces. Aroma is blueberry. Taste is blueberry. Lack of booziness at 8% is fantastic and sweetness is nice. Girly or not, this stuff is fantastic.

2.34/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours purple-red with thin head and modest bubbles. Lots of blueberry aroma as you might expect with some tartness and malt notes. Tastes like fizzy kool-aid with a little spice. Too sweet.

1.16/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Smells extremely sweet with an off-putting blueberry scent (smells way too smeet) and alcohol. The main off putter for me was the texture of this thing. It almost tastes like syrup. Won't be seeking this out again.

1.58/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a dark purple with a blue-ish hued head. The smell was very heavy with alcohol. The taste was not as bad as I was expecting, but still way too sweet with heavy alcohol burn. The texture was also far too syrupy for me. Not a fan.

2.04/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours with a small, purple head. Looks just like grape juice. Has an aroma of blueberries, malts, and alcohol that combines to create a slightly unpleasant aroma. Initial taste is sweet from the blueberries, but aftertaste is bitter from the combination of malts and alcohol. Overall, a poor beer. But I have had worse.

3.83/5  rDev +78.1%

Sweet and crisp, drank straight from the bottle. It was very blue/purple, and claims to have juice, which leads me to want it to be considered a shandy. I don't know if there is any beer rules that say it can't be a shandy, but it was too sweet for me to call a lager. Great beer to get drunk on, being 8% and tasting like lightly carbonated juice. No bitter flavors during or after conumption. Don't let the kids near it.

4.13/5  rDev +92.1%

I can understand why some hard core purists would dislike this beer. It's sweet and does remind you of a grape soda. But I liked it. My wife LOVED it! At 8% it has a nice kick and I get to enjoy the taste of blueberries.

First sip of this "lager" is nothing like what you probably expected when you ventured out to give this new concept of brew a try. The taste from beginning to end is somewhat of a dull blueberry soda that has been overwhelmed by syrup. The only reason I gave it a 2 star rating is because,for some reason, despite this taste description, it is bearable to drink as a CARBONATED MALT BEVERAGE but completely unrelatable to beer and any classic lager brews.

3.5/5  rDev +62.8%

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a red solo cup (classy)
Aroma- This is a blueberry brew, very strong aroma.
Appearance- uhhmm, purple, very purple with no head
Taste- I was pretty floored by the flavor, very enjoyable. Has a pretty high alcohol content that is hidden in the berry flavor.
Palate- A medium bodied brew with heavy carbonation and a real crisp feel.
Overall- I enjoyed this beer and I had several sitting by the pool. I recommend this for a summer outing.

3.47/5  rDev +61.4%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a dark purple-red. Fairly hazy. Basically no head.

Smell - 4.5/5
As soon as I opened the bottle, I could smell STRONG blueberry smells. I didn't even have to put my nose near the glass. When I do take a closer smell, I smell blueberry, bubblegum, cherry. Perhaps a tiny bit of alcohol smell. While the smell is very strong, it's a nice smell

Taste - 3/5
Tastes very similar to a Founder's Rubaeus, except perhaps more blueberry tasting than raspberry tasting. For a fruit beer, it's pretty good. I think I'd still prefer a Founder's Rubaeus over this any day, but I could see this being a nice dessert beer, complementing a blueberry pie or something. I think the fruit flavor is a little too strong. It barely still tastes like beer (though if you try hard to sense it, there is still a little bit of beer taste to the brew). The thing I like about the Rubaeus is that it still tastes like beer. This, not so much

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Right when I took my first sip of this beer, I noticed the mouthfeel. The beer is crisp and the carbonation is light yet still has a nice bite. The beer is probably light to medium body.

Overall - 3/5
I got this beer as part of a build-your-own 6-pack, because it looked interesting. Overall, I won't say I was disappointed, as I didn't really know what to expect to begin with. But it's an OK take on a fruit beer. Probably wouldn't get again though. The fruit flavor is a little too strong, and it doesn't really taste like beer.

Artificial, sticky sweet, syrupy, overly carbonated, hints of cough syrup. This is more wine cooler than beer, and it even makes a mess of being that. I am not sure how they still make this stuff.

Would not drink again.

I'll start by being honest. AB did it. They dressed up a beer as craft, hoping to snare unsuspecting drinkers, and they won.

It tastes like cough syrup, both on the palate and in the aftertaste. It's simply shocking. I've long clamored for a blueberry beer that is so intensely blueberry that it pours purple, and thought that this might be the answer to my prayers, but no. A higher-than-expected ABV (8%) gives it some *super* slight merit, but it can't save the beer overall. I'd recommend steering clear.

3.75/5  rDev +74.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wild Blue Lager has a medium, fizzy, pink head, which maintains itself much longer that one would expect, a clear, ruby-red, bubbly appearance, and splotchy lacing. Aroma is of grainy, pungent lager beer and acidic blueberry juice. Taste is the same, with essentially no noticeable bitterness, but definite fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, and filling, and Wild Blue Lager finishes wet, sweet, and heavy. Not a beer for me, but still well-crafted and executed.

This is my wife's favorite beer, and I make a great effort to never run out of of Wild Blue. One Wild Blue and my wife is "Happy"! And when she's happy, she is always in the mood to make me happy. Anyone who gives this brew a bad score does so because it is an unconventional beer flavor. It tastes like the Blue Berries it is made from. The flavor is so intense that I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy this girly beer, but then, I love Blueberry pie!

2.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Watered down grape juice..Watered down grape juice....Oh sorry, you were waiting for my review. If you are looking for some mild juice to go with your breakfast or something to quench the thirst real fast, this is it. Beer, I do not think so. Oh well...

3.56/5  rDev +65.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is not a 2.18 beer. Even if you do not like sweet beers, it cannot be that bad. The purple color is interesting and the fact that this is an 8 abv is impressive in and of itself. Flavor is good. If I can point to a flaw it might be the lack of head and carbonation.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch