Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Wild BlueWild Blue

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 581 | Hads: 1,508
4.5/5  rDev +110.3%

I think people on here are being absolutely unfair to this beer. Yes, I can see why you might say this is not a real beer. However, why do Lindeman's Framboise and Kriek get better reviews then? Because they weren't brewed under Anheuser Busch? Wild Blue has the same fruity color, same sweetness, same lack of similarity with "real beers" as the Lindeman's lambics. The only difference is that Wild Blue has a significantly higher alcohol content than Lindeman's which is masked very well.
Another thing people bring up that's unfair to Wild Blue in these reviews is how they label it as "completely artificial" when that's actually not true at all. Wild Blue is made with real, natural blueberries. I realize that this beer is extremely sweet which is why it does not get 5 stars from me. I can only drink one Wild Blue in a night. I do appreciate coming across something that's completely different though. Bottom line is that this beer should not be rated lower than Keystone Light.

By the way, at first I thought Wild Blue was brewed by Flying Dog because of the artwork and font on the bottle and pack.

The people who don't like this beer generally just don't like sweet beers. This drink is delicious and tastes like a blueberry soda. Careful though, it's 8%, but you wouldn't know it by drinking it. I've had a lot of different beers, and this one is by far my favorite. Everyone has their go-to beer, and this one is mine. Unfortunately it's really expensive to drink every night, so you might wanna keep this one for some weekends or special occasions.

1.86/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - dark purple, no head

S - straight blueberry, very strong

T - strong blue berry, very syrupy, can taste alcohol, very artificial, very sweet

M - high carbonation

O - pretty disgusting, not sure this is "beer", there's no balance. It's overly sweet with artificial blueberry flavors mixed with alcohol

4.09/5  rDev +91.1%

I guess I am the only person in the world that loves this beer. A friend of mine picked up a couple to try and I was instantly surprised by this beer. It is very sweet and smooth and refreshing. It tastes nothing like a pint of water that burnt wood chips have been steeping in like some beers, but also has the thick feel of a good craft stout. This beer to me is what a refreshing beer should taste like.

2.49/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A--Dark purple with minimal head that left surprisingly good lacing.

S--Is purple a smell?? Actually smelled overly sweet with a lot of blueberries.

T--A lot like I would imagine blueberry soda would taste if there were such a thing. No real taste of beer in there. Alcohol is very well hidden. I would never, I mean never, guess ABV of 8%.

M--Light & fizzy. Nothing of note

O--Bought it on a whim at Wegmans in their $12 build your own six pack. I'm normally not a fruit beer kind of guy, but got a few since it's summertime and I thought it'd be a nice refreshing change. It was just overly sweet and not anything resembling a beer.

2.34/5  rDev +9.3%

S: Bottle

A: poured into a pint glass, looks like a blue wine cooler. Dark indigo with a two finger purple colored head.

S: Smells like blueberries...

T: Blueberries, with a heavy dose of splenda. Was much too sweet to drink on its own. So, dig out some coconut rum and make a concoction. Just playing around, we mixed this with coconut rum, blackberries, and Hardywood Cream Ale. Made a pretty good summer drink.

M: Just felt like drinking a malt beverage.

O: Too sweet. Would probably be a huge success in a college party. Very sweet with a high alcohol content (8%)

1.91/5  rDev -10.7%

Tried this on a whim. What a mistake.

Poured into a pilsner glass, there is barely any head: just a small amount of purple foam. The beer has the light scent of red wine.

The taste starts off sweet, and finishes very bitter. I hate wine, and that is what this tastes like. It seems like it dries my mouth out, so the mouthfeel doesn't leave me wanting more.

I'm going to slug this down for the 8%, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It's just....awful.

4.62/5  rDev +115.9%

This beer has a smooth blue berry flavor. It smells really good, it is not heavy it kind of has a malt taste. At least I think it does. It is a great beer for no matter what time of the year. It is a beer that I like to come home sit back and relax and enjoy after a long hard day at work. I definitely would recommend this beer to friends and family.

2.89/5  rDev +35%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

yeah this is pretty bad, but its nowhere near as bad as it is rated on here. a deep royal blue hued purple drink with a stained purple short white head, great looks, more like a grape juice or red wine, but still, deep and inviting. the nose is a mix of cheap high gravity lager and blueberry puree. its like that blueberry syrup you get at dennys for your pancakes, sweet and sticky, but not super artificial. the flavor isn't that bad either, all blueberry on the front end, at the expense of being beer, which is okay, because the base beer is pretty brutal. i get some metal and some extract sweetness, corn sugar, nothing real pleasant from the base beer, and the finish is extremely boozy, but the combination of the alcohol and sugar really charges me up. i would never buy this, but i can see its appeal, and unlike the clamato stuff they do, this one doesn't make me cringe and hurl every time i even look at it.

2.65/5  rDev +23.8%

Not a big fan of Wild Blue. Way too sweet for me. If you like really sweet, fruity beers, then give it a try. If you don't like them, then spend your money on a better beer. Surprisingly, it is 8% ABV, but I would not have guessed it drinking it. Regardless, I won't be buying this one again.

1.85/5  rDev -13.6%

Looks like grape juice when poured. Especially when the head disappears. Sweet fruity smell (again, grape, I know it is supposed to be blueberry), but also some musty notes in there as well. Sweet berry favor. Blueberry flavor? Okay. I'll give you that. Some nuttyness in there as well. A Tart, astringent aftertaste. Tastes like an alcopop. If you want beer, this isn't it. A little thick and a bit sticky on the tongue, not bad (mouthfeel). Stupidly, I thought this was a Flying Dog creation. I thought, can't go wrong, it's Flying Dog. The label led me to believe so as it is very similar in style to the Flying Dog Beers. This to me is not a beer. I don't like this sort of beer anyway, and I think too many breweries are making fruit beers. I was all proud of myself for stepping away from the IPA's for this review. Guess what I'll be going back to next time?

1.23/5  rDev -42.5%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Like grape juice. A fuzzy purplish-white head recedes to a fine wisp to leave a ring around the edges with no lacing.

Aroma: Blueberry syrup with a good amount of champagne-like sweetness.

Taste: Sweet malts are mixed with sweetness from the blueberry juice/syrup/adjuncts to make a syrupy-sweet sugar bomb. The only "balance" is in the finish that is way too carbonated and sour with tart fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and carbonated.

Overall: Just didn't not enjoy the sweetness overload nor the blueberry component. Too much syrupy sweetness.

3.76/5  rDev +75.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a six of this one on my way to a quantity over quality night and the selection at the store I stopped at was very limited. Very interesting looking beer, dark in appearance with a light purplish head, I guess what you would expect from a blueberry beer. Smell is an interesting mix of blueberry and beer. Outstanding flavor, I enjoyed this beer very much, plus, it was very easy to drink which was surprising for an 8% beer, this gives it bonus points overall. And it was very reasonably priced. Not sure it is exactly a beer, more of a fruit cider, malt beverage, beer mix with blueberry juice, but I found it very tasty. Overall, not really a beer, but I enjoyed it and would buy again, just don't go into it looking for a beer.

2.5/5  rDev +16.8%

I'd say it's a poor beer, but it's alright if you go into it thinking it's a blueberry alcoholic beverage. Doesn't taste like anything you'd expect from a beer and doesn't have any characteristics I like from a lager. So if you want a fruity drink, it's not bad, but if you want a beer then look elsewhere.

2.41/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear dark red in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high dark pink head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center, a collar around the edge, and some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of blueberry juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has somewhat stronger flavors of blueberries with a slight bit of sweetness. No alcohol is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This drink doesn't taste much like a beer and seems to be more like a carbonated version of blueberry juice. While there's nothing overly interesting in the smell and taste, it does have good drinkability because the beer masks any traces of alcohol.

1.91/5  rDev -10.7%

wild blue premium blueberry lager 6pk bottles $9.49(OH)

12 oz twist off brown bottle with no freshness date. not listed on fresh beer only. 10 bucks for twist offs!?

poured into a stemless white wine glass. its a deep purple color. a one finger head that disappears quickly. some lacing but not much at all.

it smells like blueberry's. nothing much else.

it taste like blueberry soda. very one dimensional. the 8% ABV is hidden very well. but the taste is so basic and boring.

the mouth feel reminds me of wine, not a craft beer. good thing i use a wine glass. lol. medium to light body, kinda fizzy and the alcohol does show some of its self at the end.

overall. what the hell did i buy? i had no clue this was an A-B inbev brew. i don't know what to say here. its not beer, its not wine. its an 8%abv blueberry soda. i don't hate it, but i sure don't like it. i wont be getting this again, and don't offer me one cause i will say no! i have buyers remorse really bad right now.

3.06/5  rDev +43%

Wild Blue brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an abv of 8.0.This brew pours out a dark purple color like grape juice or blueberry juice. There is no head to this brew, pink at best. I am beginning to think this this not even brew. The taste is sweet and berry. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it is not my kind brew. This brew goes down like smooth like juice. I'm impressed for it having an Abv of 8.0. This beer was different- a good pick for someone who likes blueberries .Overall I 'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5.

2.81/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Wild Blue blueberry is the 1st fruit beer I'm reviewing on here Beer Advocate. Poured from the bottle into a mug, it is deep purple with a magenta head. Very cool in my opinion. Little to zero lacing.

Smells like, you've guessed correctly, blueberries. This brew has an ABV of 8% and I can kind of notice that with a proper swill. I'm REALLY hoping this isn't Four Loko with a fancier presentation.

Taste like a grape soda, not very blueberry-like at all to tell the truth. Alcohol is extremely noticeable. Must've jinxed myself. Fumey afterswallow is certainly there. After a nice, hearty swig, I felt a sting on the very back of my tongue. Also, the 8% is very detectable in the belly&lingers.

Moutfeel is like syrup mixed with grape soda. I'm surprised hip hop artist Bun B doesn't promote this or other Houston area Mc's for that matter.

2.5 overall. I was disappointed to have bought a glorified Joose or Four Loko, etc. This would be good if you want to look classy while truly drinking ghetto juice. I will not buy this brew again.

1.4/5  rDev -34.6%

Ladies and Gents, this is the worst beer I've had in recent memory. Remember those "juicy juice" juice boxes as a young lad? I wish this is that.

A: dark, purple, soda/syrup-looking beverage. 1-finger head, some lacing but not much.

S: As advertised...blueberry. Fruity smelling. Smells like wine, or fruit-flavored cough syrup.

T: Tastes like carbonated wine. Way too sweet, even for a fruity beer. I haven't vomited since the summer of 2006, but this makes me want to end the streak.

M: Feels similar to a soda when it hits the lips. Thins out a bit towards the finish. Not at all interesting on the tongue.

O: I don't like any one type of style and I've enjoyed a fruity beer from time to time. This is just nasty. I finished it, but barely. I imagine wine cooler enthusiasts would even take issue with this medicinal brew. The lone positive = 8% abv will help you forget what you just endured.

3.4/5  rDev +58.9%

A - A dee purplish red; same color as canned blueberries in heavy syrup. No foam which is disappointing. A lot of carbonation.

S - Blueberries. Lots of blueberries. Syrupy sugary smell.

T - Primary taste is blueberry followed by a mellow alcoholic vanilla taste. Small initial tartness.

M - Tiny tingle into mostly watery smooth

O - The color and scent are appealing in this fruity novelty (gimmicky) beer. The taste is uneven in that the quality swings from fruity to malty and just really let's you know that there's too much sugar in here. For fans of blueberry beers they'll probably get a kick form this - you can buy it down the street from me a $3.99 a 6er - but there are definitely better bluebeeries out there.

4.42/5  rDev +106.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The low ratings don’t surprise me as this is a maligned style of beer on this site, but this is a very tasty drink. Has a dark purple color with a pinkish head, reminiscent of a blueberry. Smell and taste is sweet blueberry fruit. No hint of alcohol. Smooth and deceptively strong. Delicious.

1.58/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Fooled into thinking this was a smaller brewery, fooled by the Ralph Steadman-like cartoon dog, fooled by the "natural" claim and promise of blueberry sediment, and lured by the price, I bought (into) it. I was only skeptical because of the alcohol content, but that should have been enough to convince me that this was yet another ghetto brew. Extensive research has no-doubt shown that poor people like to get drunk without paying much, so give them something nasty with a kick, but put so much sugar in it that they can't tell how nasty it is, their pancreases be damned.

My question for all ghetto brews is, how can anyone make beer that tastes so bad that it has to be turned into syrup before it is palatable, if drinking syrup is actually yummy? I mean, Steel Reserve for instance.

So, anyway, it does get you drunk, and it might be good on pancakes.

2.19/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

When taking the first sip of this beer it tastes like blueberry juice and you will think oh man for 8% this is pretty delicious, but the aftertaste is like someone spilled their lager into your cup of juice. Drinking more than one of these at a time made me sick because of how sweet it was. I cant safely say that its NOT my type of lager.. or that i even consider it a lager. Its worth a try though, some people enjoy that overly sweet taste. I consider it more of a sugary mixed drink, but that's just my opinion.

1.76/5  rDev -17.8%

I like IPAs and I like blueberry fruit beers. I don't know why. But, I had to give this a try, and I was a little concerned about how they planned to turn a blueberry "lager" into a 8% beer, but they did. And I wish they didn't.

It pours a very dark purple color with a head that is lighter purple. The head is short, and retention is poor. It smells like candy and fake fruit--nothing smells fresh about it at all. The taste is more of the same. If they came out with blueberry flavored cough syrup, this would be it. It tastes like soda. The mouthfeel is a mess, again, because this is essentially blueberry soda that only slightly resembles beer. Overall, this is by far the worst fruit beer I've had. I'll still with Sea Dog when I want a blueberry beer.

3.51/5  rDev +64%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

my friend bought this ,
this was $9 something for 6 pack bottles

A is a thick bubbly almost syrup esk like pouring a glass of blueberry syrup
on a scale of carbonated i would say 3/5 a decent head not huge but about 2 inch .

S - smells like fruit duh blueberries , sweet like syrup also maybe a little malty

t- this is the surprise , being how it is 8% i was expecting for a super sweet harsh swill. but to my surprise it was like drinking juice , even it smells and looks like syrup , and face it blueberry anything is very very sweet usually . It is something i would maybe drink 2 of but id have to stop at that too sweet for continued drinking IMO.

m-i said like juice but really like soda , obviously its has all the characteristics of a soda with alcohol
but even though its sweet and fruity , its not hard to chug down , my friend said it's harder to drink faster or whatever , taking that with a grain of salt because he never drinks his beer fast , i poured it in the mason glass and went down like orange juice ...

Overall its a decent beer for what it is , my main complaint is the price ,this beer is for people that cant handle malt liquor and want a higher buzz or just like fruity beers ,for example hard cider, for this people that like fruity beers that aren't subtle . and don't even taste like beer. If you want a beer that the fruit is subtle fruit try Pyramid apricot ale . .

so the cons costs too much m and a little too sweet for my preference
the pros -8% abv and hides it well

but if you can handle Old English or steel reserve save your money
almost the same $ on 6 pack on wild blue is a 12 pack of cans of steel reserve and thats 8.1 %
sure its not sugar coated but gets the job done for about $9 that would be $7 a 6 pack and it's probably cheaper in your area

that being said Anheuser-bush did a great job had no idea they were behind this beer!

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch