Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 572 | Hads: 1,479
2.65/5  rDev +21%

Not a big fan of Wild Blue. Way too sweet for me. If you like really sweet, fruity beers, then give it a try. If you don't like them, then spend your money on a better beer. Surprisingly, it is 8% ABV, but I would not have guessed it drinking it. Regardless, I won't be buying this one again. (292 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -15.5%

Looks like grape juice when poured. Especially when the head disappears. Sweet fruity smell (again, grape, I know it is supposed to be blueberry), but also some musty notes in there as well. Sweet berry favor. Blueberry flavor? Okay. I'll give you that. Some nuttyness in there as well. A Tart, astringent aftertaste. Tastes like an alcopop. If you want beer, this isn't it. A little thick and a bit sticky on the tongue, not bad (mouthfeel). Stupidly, I thought this was a Flying Dog creation. I thought, can't go wrong, it's Flying Dog. The label led me to believe so as it is very similar in style to the Flying Dog Beers. This to me is not a beer. I don't like this sort of beer anyway, and I think too many breweries are making fruit beers. I was all proud of myself for stepping away from the IPA's for this review. Guess what I'll be going back to next time? (865 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -43.8%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Like grape juice. A fuzzy purplish-white head recedes to a fine wisp to leave a ring around the edges with no lacing.

Aroma: Blueberry syrup with a good amount of champagne-like sweetness.

Taste: Sweet malts are mixed with sweetness from the blueberry juice/syrup/adjuncts to make a syrupy-sweet sugar bomb. The only "balance" is in the finish that is way too carbonated and sour with tart fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and carbonated.

Overall: Just didn't not enjoy the sweetness overload nor the blueberry component. Too much syrupy sweetness. (589 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +71.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a six of this one on my way to a quantity over quality night and the selection at the store I stopped at was very limited. Very interesting looking beer, dark in appearance with a light purplish head, I guess what you would expect from a blueberry beer. Smell is an interesting mix of blueberry and beer. Outstanding flavor, I enjoyed this beer very much, plus, it was very easy to drink which was surprising for an 8% beer, this gives it bonus points overall. And it was very reasonably priced. Not sure it is exactly a beer, more of a fruit cider, malt beverage, beer mix with blueberry juice, but I found it very tasty. Overall, not really a beer, but I enjoyed it and would buy again, just don't go into it looking for a beer. (740 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%

I'd say it's a poor beer, but it's alright if you go into it thinking it's a blueberry alcoholic beverage. Doesn't taste like anything you'd expect from a beer and doesn't have any characteristics I like from a lager. So if you want a fruity drink, it's not bad, but if you want a beer then look elsewhere. (306 characters)

2.41/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear dark red in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high dark pink head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center, a collar around the edge, and some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of blueberry juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has somewhat stronger flavors of blueberries with a slight bit of sweetness. No alcohol is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This drink doesn't taste much like a beer and seems to be more like a carbonated version of blueberry juice. While there's nothing overly interesting in the smell and taste, it does have good drinkability because the beer masks any traces of alcohol. (817 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -12.8%

wild blue premium blueberry lager 6pk bottles $9.49(OH)

12 oz twist off brown bottle with no freshness date. not listed on fresh beer only. 10 bucks for twist offs!?

poured into a stemless white wine glass. its a deep purple color. a one finger head that disappears quickly. some lacing but not much at all.

it smells like blueberry's. nothing much else.

it taste like blueberry soda. very one dimensional. the 8% ABV is hidden very well. but the taste is so basic and boring.

the mouth feel reminds me of wine, not a craft beer. good thing i use a wine glass. lol. medium to light body, kinda fizzy and the alcohol does show some of its self at the end.

overall. what the hell did i buy? i had no clue this was an A-B inbev brew. i don't know what to say here. its not beer, its not wine. its an 8%abv blueberry soda. i don't hate it, but i sure don't like it. i wont be getting this again, and don't offer me one cause i will say no! i have buyers remorse really bad right now. (986 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +39.7%

Wild Blue brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an abv of 8.0.This brew pours out a dark purple color like grape juice or blueberry juice. There is no head to this brew, pink at best. I am beginning to think this this not even brew. The taste is sweet and berry. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it is not my kind brew. This brew goes down like smooth like juice. I'm impressed for it having an Abv of 8.0. This beer was different- a good pick for someone who likes blueberries .Overall I 'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. (520 characters)

2.81/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Wild Blue blueberry is the 1st fruit beer I'm reviewing on here Beer Advocate. Poured from the bottle into a mug, it is deep purple with a magenta head. Very cool in my opinion. Little to zero lacing.

Smells like, you've guessed correctly, blueberries. This brew has an ABV of 8% and I can kind of notice that with a proper swill. I'm REALLY hoping this isn't Four Loko with a fancier presentation.

Taste like a grape soda, not very blueberry-like at all to tell the truth. Alcohol is extremely noticeable. Must've jinxed myself. Fumey afterswallow is certainly there. After a nice, hearty swig, I felt a sting on the very back of my tongue. Also, the 8% is very detectable in the belly&lingers.

Moutfeel is like syrup mixed with grape soda. I'm surprised hip hop artist Bun B doesn't promote this or other Houston area Mc's for that matter.

2.5 overall. I was disappointed to have bought a glorified Joose or Four Loko, etc. This would be good if you want to look classy while truly drinking ghetto juice. I will not buy this brew again. (1,048 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -36.1%

Ladies and Gents, this is the worst beer I've had in recent memory. Remember those "juicy juice" juice boxes as a young lad? I wish this is that.

A: dark, purple, soda/syrup-looking beverage. 1-finger head, some lacing but not much.

S: As advertised...blueberry. Fruity smelling. Smells like wine, or fruit-flavored cough syrup.

T: Tastes like carbonated wine. Way too sweet, even for a fruity beer. I haven't vomited since the summer of 2006, but this makes me want to end the streak.

M: Feels similar to a soda when it hits the lips. Thins out a bit towards the finish. Not at all interesting on the tongue.

O: I don't like any one type of style and I've enjoyed a fruity beer from time to time. This is just nasty. I finished it, but barely. I imagine wine cooler enthusiasts would even take issue with this medicinal brew. The lone positive = 8% abv will help you forget what you just endured. (905 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +55.3%

A - A dee purplish red; same color as canned blueberries in heavy syrup. No foam which is disappointing. A lot of carbonation.

S - Blueberries. Lots of blueberries. Syrupy sugary smell.

T - Primary taste is blueberry followed by a mellow alcoholic vanilla taste. Small initial tartness.

M - Tiny tingle into mostly watery smooth

O - The color and scent are appealing in this fruity novelty (gimmicky) beer. The taste is uneven in that the quality swings from fruity to malty and just really let's you know that there's too much sugar in here. For fans of blueberry beers they'll probably get a kick form this - you can buy it down the street from me a $3.99 a 6er - but there are definitely better bluebeeries out there. (724 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +101.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The low ratings don’t surprise me as this is a maligned style of beer on this site, but this is a very tasty drink. Has a dark purple color with a pinkish head, reminiscent of a blueberry. Smell and taste is sweet blueberry fruit. No hint of alcohol. Smooth and deceptively strong. Delicious. (294 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Fooled into thinking this was a smaller brewery, fooled by the Ralph Steadman-like cartoon dog, fooled by the "natural" claim and promise of blueberry sediment, and lured by the price, I bought (into) it. I was only skeptical because of the alcohol content, but that should have been enough to convince me that this was yet another ghetto brew. Extensive research has no-doubt shown that poor people like to get drunk without paying much, so give them something nasty with a kick, but put so much sugar in it that they can't tell how nasty it is, their pancreases be damned.

My question for all ghetto brews is, how can anyone make beer that tastes so bad that it has to be turned into syrup before it is palatable, if drinking syrup is actually yummy? I mean, Steel Reserve for instance.

So, anyway, it does get you drunk, and it might be good on pancakes. (859 characters)

2.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

When taking the first sip of this beer it tastes like blueberry juice and you will think oh man for 8% this is pretty delicious, but the aftertaste is like someone spilled their lager into your cup of juice. Drinking more than one of these at a time made me sick because of how sweet it was. I cant safely say that its NOT my type of lager.. or that i even consider it a lager. Its worth a try though, some people enjoy that overly sweet taste. I consider it more of a sugary mixed drink, but that's just my opinion. (516 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -19.6%

I like IPAs and I like blueberry fruit beers. I don't know why. But, I had to give this a try, and I was a little concerned about how they planned to turn a blueberry "lager" into a 8% beer, but they did. And I wish they didn't.

It pours a very dark purple color with a head that is lighter purple. The head is short, and retention is poor. It smells like candy and fake fruit--nothing smells fresh about it at all. The taste is more of the same. If they came out with blueberry flavored cough syrup, this would be it. It tastes like soda. The mouthfeel is a mess, again, because this is essentially blueberry soda that only slightly resembles beer. Overall, this is by far the worst fruit beer I've had. I'll still with Sea Dog when I want a blueberry beer. (761 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +60.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

my friend bought this ,
this was $9 something for 6 pack bottles

A is a thick bubbly almost syrup esk like pouring a glass of blueberry syrup
on a scale of carbonated i would say 3/5 a decent head not huge but about 2 inch .

S - smells like fruit duh blueberries , sweet like syrup also maybe a little malty

t- this is the surprise , being how it is 8% i was expecting for a super sweet harsh swill. but to my surprise it was like drinking juice , even it smells and looks like syrup , and face it blueberry anything is very very sweet usually . It is something i would maybe drink 2 of but id have to stop at that too sweet for continued drinking IMO.

m-i said like juice but really like soda , obviously its has all the characteristics of a soda with alcohol
but even though its sweet and fruity , its not hard to chug down , my friend said it's harder to drink faster or whatever , taking that with a grain of salt because he never drinks his beer fast , i poured it in the mason glass and went down like orange juice ...

Overall its a decent beer for what it is , my main complaint is the price ,this beer is for people that cant handle malt liquor and want a higher buzz or just like fruity beers ,for example hard cider, for this people that like fruity beers that aren't subtle . and don't even taste like beer. If you want a beer that the fruit is subtle fruit try Pyramid apricot ale . .

so the cons costs too much m and a little too sweet for my preference
the pros -8% abv and hides it well

but if you can handle Old English or steel reserve save your money
almost the same $ on 6 pack on wild blue is a 12 pack of cans of steel reserve and thats 8.1 %
sure its not sugar coated but gets the job done for about $9 that would be $7 a 6 pack and it's probably cheaper in your area

that being said Anheuser-bush did a great job had no idea they were behind this beer! (1,893 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A-I was surprised by the red-purple tint. It looked something along the lines of a rasp. lambic
S-strong and sweet blueberry with alcohol notes
T-It's good that there's an 8% alcohol making it the equivalent of 2 beers since this is a beer that is a bit syrupy sweet and it'll take you half the normal time to drink.
M-a little syrupy as it gets warmer, so be sure it's good and cold to keep it *somewhat* crisp.
O-Unless you like fruity beers, avoid this. If you like subtle beers, avoid this. If you're cool with and are looking for ONE beer to kick back and take off the edge from the workday, this one's your winner. (620 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +58.9%

A-dark with a red tint in the light, with a pink head that faded fast, but laced the glass
S-smelled a very sweet blueberry with a slight alcohol smell
T-blueberry with a sweet blueberry aftertaste with some warming in the finish
M-syrupy like feel
O-if you are a blueberry fan then this would be great (302 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +8.2%

Small pink to red head quickly dies above a clear full red colored beer.

Aroma of breakfast juice.

The taste of this beer is very similar to a grape and fruit punch.

A dryish aftertaste that brings along with it a lot of berries taste with this light to light medium bodied beer.

This might be a good breakfast drink if you want to get a early start drinking. (363 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -21.5%

Had no interest in trying this until I saw 8% ABV. Say what?
A - grape juice purple color, fizzy mauve head fades quickly leaving no lacing. Does not look like beer
S - very aromatic; sweet blueberry permeates the room, actually pleasant but when I go in for a closer smell, it's more like cough syrup mixed with grape juice, abd faint lager yeast. Does not smell like beer.
T - sweet blueberry, cloyingly sweet after one sip, cough syrup, blueberry pie, faint biscuit
M - thinner body, finishes with sweetness lingering and some grassy bitterness but its very minimal
O - cloyingly sweet, more like a wine cooler than a beer, not really drinkable, and I'm still confused as to why this needs to be 8%. Cut the ABV, cut the sweetness, and make it more balanced, and it might be a little better than it is. (805 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -37.9%

I was drawn to this beer by the jaunty bulldog on the package, and perhaps the typeface and inksplash of the lettering/illustration. Very Ralph Steadman—the British cartoonist perhaps best known for the iconic splatter work used for the Criterion edition of the film _Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas_. So the packaging insinuates some connection to Hunter S. Thompson, his oeuvre, and the milieu of risk and anarchy and experimentation attendant to his writing and lifestyle, as well as a kind of European or at least British eminence regards good taste and genteel breeding. This graphic appeal is perhaps meant to masculinize and aestheticize what could be, when first considering a "Premium Blueberry Lager," a drink better matched to the much-stereotyped sensibilities of truant teenagers and sorority-types.

A "blueberry" lager necessarily seems "young," although whether juvenile or nubile I'm not quite sure. "Blueberry" is first a Sno-Cone flavor, and then maybe an additive to granola, and then perhaps a wonder-berry bringing with it the stats on healthful eating and beneficial antioxidants and cancer risk management. So Wild Blue, in its packaging and name, wields an array of youthful, rewarding, and still transgressive connotations, each intensifying its allure.

I was also drawn to this beer because I enjoy other fruity, summery products: I like Blue Moon and Oberon, I like strawberry-tinged beer and citrus notes and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, and really any seasonally-themed drink. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, for imbibing harvest palates, for sitting with a beer while reading and enjoying the way the fruit flavors change as the beverage warms, going from tart to spice to caramel.

Wild Blue, it must be said, is not in the same order as Oberon or Blue Moon, or even Sam Adams, or ciders, or perhaps any "beer" at all.

As a fruit infused lager, why does it taste more like a Fanta or perhaps Faygo grape-flavored soda that has had Keystone (though somehow not much Keystone) added? To be sure, the alcohol content is high, and the flavor of alcohol comes out when the drink warms, but even after an hour the dominant sensory impression of the drink (excepting its silly Cran-Apple hue) is that of corn syrup and grape Kool-Aid, teeth-staining, powder-thick, cloying, with maybe a thimble of McCormick's jug vodka added for a light, red-peppery hint, and then animal musk, urine, say.

I am surprised and somehow delighted by the mysteries of Wild Blue Premium Blueberry Lager. Ontologically suspect—as many reviewers have pointed out, the beer seems to be manufactured under the generic although hardly-hidden auspices of an Anheuser-Busch "micro-brewery"—Wild Blue engaged my senses like a work of conceptual art. What is the definition of a "lager"? A "beer"? How does Wild Blue conform and then expand on those definitions?

I am equally interested in the range of reviews this product has received. Some users swear by it, others have gleefully savaged it. Plenty have drained their bottles in the sink. Is this carbonated MD? is it jailhouse hooch? Is it companionable and serviceable and perfect for wedding receptions? Is it smoke and mirrors? What is Wild Blue but something wild, something the might make you feel blue?

My suggestion is: Bring a six-pack of Wild Blue to a housewarming party. Bring it chilled, of course, because it is gag-taxing-unbearable at any temperature above "cold"—like sharp-salty grapefruit and Dimetapp, and shoeshine. Your hosts will be delighted by its strange deficiencies. You'll have something to talk about. (3,591 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +108.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this fruity beer since I first discovered it two years ago. It helped me remodel my house! Once ice cold, it's pure bliss on a hot summer day. I used to drink wine, but stopped due to acid and heartburn. I often see people disliking this type of beer - mainly people who drink stuff like Bud, Coors, etc., which makes sense. I don't drink grocery store beers, and love the rich, fruit flavor and 8% alcohol level, which gets me where i need to be on two beers, instead of eight, and keeps me from having a beer gut the size of Texas! (539 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +47%

A: Purple pour with a small fizzy purple tinged head. Soda-like. head fades pretty quickly but with decent retention. No real lacing.

S: Sugary sweet blueberries. More like blueberry soda than anything.

T: More super sweet blueberries. Basically tastes like alcoholic blueberry soda. Or a blueberry malt beverage. Honestly it's not horrible but it's barely beer.

M: Medium bodied, simple.

O: I don't even like blueberries and this was halfway decent. It's not beer, but it's a tasty, sweet and highly alcoholic (8% ABV) treat. Gotta give it some credit. I tried to give it middling scores. It's good at what it does, but it's a poor "beer" at the same time. Hard to score it at both ends so I shot for the middle. (720 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a quite ruby purple color with a one finger purple tinted head floating atop the beer upon pouring. The head is quite fizzy and fades quite rapidly, leaving almost no lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is big and sweet of a blueberry smell. This aroma largely dominates the smell, but some other light aromas of candy like smell mixed with a bit of a sour berry and cherry smell are there as well. Overall it smells like berry kool-aid.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet berry flavor of blueberry mixed with a bit of raspberry and cherry. Along with these sweet flavors are some light tastes of malt. As the taste advances from the initial, it gets even sweeter and more berry candied flavored. With a little bit of an alcohol flavor coming to the tongue at the end, a very sweet berry flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather thin for a brew of 8 % abv with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. Both are rather appropriate for the very sweet and berry flavors of the brew.

Overall – While massively sweet, the flavors are not all that off. It tastes kinda like a berry flavored wine cooler. If you want an alcoholic dessert in a liquid form then this is alright, but if don’t want anything very sweet, then you may want to stay away. (1,380 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +8.2%

Just drank the thing out of the bottle.

At first taste, it was delicious. Tasted like a smooth blueberry drink with a heavy alcohol content... continue on to beer 2 and 3 and it began to taste more like Four Loko than a beer. Ended up finishing the 6 pack and feeling awful the next day. Beautiful reprieve is the 8 % ABV. (323 characters)

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch