Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,466 | Reviews: 616
2.04/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours with a small, purple head. Looks just like grape juice. Has an aroma of blueberries, malts, and alcohol that combines to create a slightly unpleasant aroma. Initial taste is sweet from the blueberries, but aftertaste is bitter from the combination of malts and alcohol. Overall, a poor beer. But I have had worse.

1.64/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Very very bad. Had once a couple years ago. It really isn't good. Dark blue color is off-setting.

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Horrible fruit beer that would be ok as a shot but not in a 12oz serving. Pleasant blueberry syrup that gets old very quick.

2.77/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

It was overly sweet and tough to get through.

1.57/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A good beer for college students that want something sweet with a high alcohol content. For me it was a drain pour.

3.83/5  rDev +71.7%

Sweet and crisp, drank straight from the bottle. It was very blue/purple, and claims to have juice, which leads me to want it to be considered a shandy. I don't know if there is any beer rules that say it can't be a shandy, but it was too sweet for me to call a lager. Great beer to get drunk on, being 8% and tasting like lightly carbonated juice. No bitter flavors during or after conumption. Don't let the kids near it.

1.77/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

This is pretty much a less flavorful version of grape soda. Not sure I would even classify this as a beer.

3.39/5  rDev +52%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Blue Berry Lager, very difficult to execute. This is so much better served over ice.

3.36/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I was offered a taste by my father and didn't think it was that bad. Not that good, though.

3.41/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice fruity aroma, with a somewhat more stolid outward appearance, the taste is decent, but not as profound as the initial flavor. Smooth.

2.72/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark blue color, sickly sweet taste. Its good when you just wanna get drunk and not drink beer.

2.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Why do I have to give it a review?

4.13/5  rDev +85.2%

I can understand why some hard core purists would dislike this beer. It's sweet and does remind you of a grape soda. But I liked it. My wife LOVED it! At 8% it has a nice kick and I get to enjoy the taste of blueberries.

First sip of this "lager" is nothing like what you probably expected when you ventured out to give this new concept of brew a try. The taste from beginning to end is somewhat of a dull blueberry soda that has been overwhelmed by syrup. The only reason I gave it a 2 star rating is because,for some reason, despite this taste description, it is bearable to drink as a CARBONATED MALT BEVERAGE but completely unrelatable to beer and any classic lager brews.

3.5/5  rDev +57%

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a red solo cup (classy)
Aroma- This is a blueberry brew, very strong aroma.
Appearance- uhhmm, purple, very purple with no head
Taste- I was pretty floored by the flavor, very enjoyable. Has a pretty high alcohol content that is hidden in the berry flavor.
Palate- A medium bodied brew with heavy carbonation and a real crisp feel.
Overall- I enjoyed this beer and I had several sitting by the pool. I recommend this for a summer outing.

1.68/5  rDev -24.7%

Cough syrup meets beer is the best way to describe this stuff. I was looking forward to trying this but after 3 swings I was done.

3.47/5  rDev +55.6%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a dark purple-red. Fairly hazy. Basically no head.

Smell - 4.5/5
As soon as I opened the bottle, I could smell STRONG blueberry smells. I didn't even have to put my nose near the glass. When I do take a closer smell, I smell blueberry, bubblegum, cherry. Perhaps a tiny bit of alcohol smell. While the smell is very strong, it's a nice smell

Taste - 3/5
Tastes very similar to a Founder's Rubaeus, except perhaps more blueberry tasting than raspberry tasting. For a fruit beer, it's pretty good. I think I'd still prefer a Founder's Rubaeus over this any day, but I could see this being a nice dessert beer, complementing a blueberry pie or something. I think the fruit flavor is a little too strong. It barely still tastes like beer (though if you try hard to sense it, there is still a little bit of beer taste to the brew). The thing I like about the Rubaeus is that it still tastes like beer. This, not so much

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Right when I took my first sip of this beer, I noticed the mouthfeel. The beer is crisp and the carbonation is light yet still has a nice bite. The beer is probably light to medium body.

Overall - 3/5
I got this beer as part of a build-your-own 6-pack, because it looked interesting. Overall, I won't say I was disappointed, as I didn't really know what to expect to begin with. But it's an OK take on a fruit beer. Probably wouldn't get again though. The fruit flavor is a little too strong, and it doesn't really taste like beer.

1.5/5  rDev -32.7%

Wife bought me this. Awful too sweet/after taste will not buy again. I will stick to Busch light

I'll start by being honest. AB did it. They dressed up a beer as craft, hoping to snare unsuspecting drinkers, and they won.

It tastes like cough syrup, both on the palate and in the aftertaste. It's simply shocking. I've long clamored for a blueberry beer that is so intensely blueberry that it pours purple, and thought that this might be the answer to my prayers, but no. A higher-than-expected ABV (8%) gives it some *super* slight merit, but it can't save the beer overall. I'd recommend steering clear.

3.75/5  rDev +68.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wild Blue Lager has a medium, fizzy, pink head, which maintains itself much longer that one would expect, a clear, ruby-red, bubbly appearance, and splotchy lacing. Aroma is of grainy, pungent lager beer and acidic blueberry juice. Taste is the same, with essentially no noticeable bitterness, but definite fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, and filling, and Wild Blue Lager finishes wet, sweet, and heavy. Not a beer for me, but still well-crafted and executed.

RJT

This is my wife's favorite beer, and I make a great effort to never run out of of Wild Blue. One Wild Blue and my wife is "Happy"! And when she's happy, she is always in the mood to make me happy. Anyone who gives this brew a bad score does so because it is an unconventional beer flavor. It tastes like the Blue Berries it is made from. The flavor is so intense that I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy this girly beer, but then, I love Blueberry pie!

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%

Watered down grape juice..Watered down grape juice....Oh sorry, you were waiting for my review. If you are looking for some mild juice to go with your breakfast or something to quench the thirst real fast, this is it. Beer, I do not think so. Oh well...

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%

Not horrible, but I wouldn't buy it again. If you need a blueberry fix, Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout will blow your mind.

Why is Wild Blue no longer being distributed in Minneapolis, Minnesota? It's my all-time favorite and I can't find it anywhere anymore!

1.25/5  rDev -43.9%

tastes like double crooked tree with a hint of blueberries. yum

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch