Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
mdvatab

11-14-2011 17:10:28 | More by TEAMHOLT
justintcoons

11-14-2011 15:06:13 | More by justintcoons
rynoth

I was looking for a new beer at the store and decided to play Russian Roulette and just grab the first thing I saw. Yeah, won't being doing that again any time soon.

A: Purplish pink with a very minimal head.
I've tried other fruit beers but I haven't ever seen one with this vibrate of color. Looks a little like Grape Nehi.

S: Smells like blueberries with a very sickeningly saccharine edge to it.

T: It's difficult to find words for this one. But bad. Very, VERY bad. I am overwhelmed by the flavor of blueberries, and sugar. I couldn't detect anything resembling beer as the fruit flavoring shuts out everything else. Tasted like a blue berry wine or champagne, but definitely not like beer.

M: Bubbly with excessive carbonation. "Sweet" taste buds exhausted and in revolt. A crisp finish.

O: Before I drank this I don't think I've ever "hated" a beer before. Give me any beer I've had in the past that I didn't care for, and I would gladly down a 6 pack of them before stomaching 1 bottle of this stuff.

Seriously, take the juice from a can of blue berries, make pruno out of it and mix with 7-Up. Congratulations, you have now made Wild Blue Lager.

11-09-2011 02:22:57 | More by rynoth
Terrapin777

4.38/5  rDev +102.8%

If you have tried Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss and didn't like it, don't try Wild Blue. Otherwise, you definitely want to try this beer.
I was shocked at the bad reviews this beer received. It has great malt and hops flavors with a really pure blueberry flavor. I thought that this was a very well made beer.

11-08-2011 00:00:09 | More by Terrapin777
startreker

I guess Im in the overwhelming minority here, but oh well.

I found this to be quite different, but nonetheless, very much enjoy this beer.

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. Color is purple, with a decent head. Left a decent lacing on my glass.

I thought I was drinking a blueberry wine, if there is such a thing. However, I did taste sweet malt, that finished with a faint bit of hops, that balanced it nicely.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and would recommend giving it a try.

Cheeers!!!

11-06-2011 02:31:36 | More by startreker
TippySelenoid

Missouri

1.95/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

It's purple! It's got a purpley grape sodaish head.

It smells like syrup. Knottsberry Farms? IHOP?

It tastes bad. Like a flat soda. The blueberry flavors are artificial and like a Runts candy.

It's mouthfeel is...watery and crisp.

Unpleasant. This seems to be for winos but I fear the price tag would preclude them.

10-29-2011 17:20:47 | More by TippySelenoid
Lockedin

1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Bought this 6 pack (which had 5 too many...) while in the mood for a lighter, fruit beer - didn't realize that it was alco-pop - my bad (should've read a review or two first). I should also preface with my hop-headed inclination to DIPAs - I bought this as a diversion, which it certainly was. If you're into SWEET, SWEET, SWEET beer this might be for you. Think Wine Cooler or Grape Crush and Vodka and add more sugar.

Served appx. 6oz. from a 12oz. bottle into a wine glass - Wife had 2nd half of the bottle.

A) Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with an immediate Grape Soda impression. It poured like Manischewitz wine with purple soda foam that disappeared under 30 seconds. No lace, an island or two of bubbles that continuously rise. Similar to a Lambic, Kriek or - Grape Soda.

S) Again, Grape Soda with Blueberry syrup. Smells artificial, despite the label. Maybe some grain down there somewhere. Made me sneeze.

T) Alco-Pop. Others compared it to "Purple Drank", and I don't think they were far off. Extremely sweet. I would not have been surprised to see high fructose corn syrup on the ingredient list. The only saving graces are that the 8% alcohol is pretty well masked and the finish is thankfully brief and fairly clean. A slight bitterness helped drinkability marginally as it warmed towards the bottom of the one glass I managed.

M) Prickly carbonation and light body made this easy to pass over the tongue quickly. Light body. At least it didn't turn my tongue purple...

O) Did I mention Grape Soda? Obviously this brew was not to my liking. Others seem to really enjoy it. The reviews seem somewhat polar - either Love or Hate. My Wife (who hates everything IPA) took this off my hands quickly and sent me to the store for a pint of one of my favorite DIPAs. I do love trying new beers and I completely accept that all beers are not for all people. This one is (REALLY) not for me.

As for it being a macro (AB) brew - kudos to them for actually trying something new and different!

10-25-2011 04:34:36 | More by Lockedin
fireeagle

Kansas

1.23/5  rDev -43.1%

Poured a good purple color. Absolutely no head retention at all.

Definitely smelled like blueberry, and that's about it.

Tasted and felt like someone took a blueberry soda and added some vodka to it.

Looks like soda. Tastes like soda. It's alcoholic blueberry soda, not beer.

10-23-2011 02:26:41 | More by fireeagle
kdawg105

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +121.3%

I really like this fruity brew. It is very easy to drink and at 8% it won't be long before you notice its there. When poured into glass kinda of a shock it is purple in color like grape juice kinda like red wine. Its smell was of very noticable grain notes with blueberry the taste was great with a very light body mouthfeel this is an easy drinking tasty brew!

10-07-2011 21:18:19 | More by kdawg105
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Pops brought this back from Lake Placid for me for some reason. He said he liked it and I have five left. Extras in trades I guess?

A - Pours more like a Kriek. Dark purple colour. Bright with a little carbonation. One finger of medium pink head. Mediocre retention with a film and no lace.

S - Juice, blueberries, sugar.

T - Blueberry juice. Cranberries and sugar. Nothing like a beer. More like a cocktail.

M - Well carbonated, light bod for the ABV, sweet finish.

O/D - Like a cocktail or a cooler. Nothing I want here. Not exactly beer-like, but not necessarily a good drink. I wouldn't seek this out for anyone.

10-02-2011 23:28:08 | More by tbeckett
CaptJackHarkness

3.13/5  rDev +44.9%

This did indeed deliver on the Blueberry!

Strange purplish liquid with a bubblegum pink non lasting head. Smell and taste are distinctly blueberry juice added to a very watered down cheap beer. Much closer to soda pop! Overall, if you REALLY love blueberry, you might like it. Watch out though, its a relatively high ABV!

09-27-2011 01:14:21 | More by CaptJackHarkness
Tastybeer007

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev +4.2%

The smell and appearance are the only things id rate average and im being kind.

The taste is awful. Tastes like dimetap medicine which they used to give me as a child mixed with some Robitussin DM and fanta grape soda mixed in to give a *slight* carbonation to it...which you cant feel because of the real bad sugar syrup this beer contains...

it says it is a premium lager with natural flavors and color...couldve fooled me, it looks like powder color was used as well as the cheapest blueberry syrup you could find.

Ill pass, and I am a girl. Just No.

09-11-2011 22:03:28 | More by Tastybeer007
BurkeBeerGuy

1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Leaving aside products with no taste at all, this is the worst beer for which I've ever paid money. Tried this at Shem Creek Bar and Grill in Mount Pleasant S.C.; they had a promo card on the table, and I said, "What the heck."

Dreadful, oversweet, cough-syrup-like taste. Got about 1/3 down, and asked the waitress to take it away. She wasn't a bit surprised.

09-04-2011 14:58:00 | More by BurkeBeerGuy
emerge077

Tailgaiting in Kenosha, pre-gaming a wedding reception... someone hands me this. "Try this it's not too bad..." trailing off into knowing contemplative shame.

Smelled the bottle, huh... kool aid and grape juice. At 8% it's low grade krunk juice more specifically. Took a couple swigs to get acclimated, and first impressions are that it's basically a grape juice wine cooler with some artificial blueberry flavoring added. Heavy and sweet aftertaste like cheap wine, perceptible alcohol. Syrupy slick feel that coats the palate, and demands a chaser or sandpaper to scrape it off my burdened tongue. Gross. This is more a wine cooler/alcopop than anything resembling beer at all. Just not something i'd ever drink again. Poorly made and worse than bad malt liquor to be honest. Even Four Loko doesn't taste this bad.

08-31-2011 03:28:09 | More by emerge077
fltmedic

Missouri

1.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass reveals the grape juice color with a very thin pink colored bubbly head that instantly fades. Enough light passes through to make out some fine bubbles and sediment.

Smell is sticky sweet with a combination of artificial and natural berry. Some fruit and wheat, but overwhelmingly sugar.

Taste is blueberry syrup, berry punch and lemonade, all over sweetened. There is no depth or complexity. The same flavors coat the tongue from the entry to the fade (if one is to say that there is a fade.)

Mouthfeel is difficult to assess through the syrupy taste. Some carbonation, like a sparkling juice.

This is not a drinkable beer. I am curious about the target audience for a brew like this. I am more likely to pour one over pancakes that to drink one again.

08-27-2011 14:30:23 | More by fltmedic