Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
ZenAgnostic

3.3/5  rDev +52.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Three Philosophers wine glass.

Appearance - Very vivid, surreal dark neon velvet. Looks more like koolaid or sparkling grape juice than beer. High scores for just looking trippy.

Smell - Corny musk and slight dry koolaid powder smell. Very mild.

Taste - Strong alcohol throughout. Grape koolaid body with a corny, musky malt undercurrent. Sorta tastes like sparkling grape juice or wine. Sort of like a Warsteiner mixed with a bit of malt liquor and koolaid.

Mouthfeel - Slight frothiness. Sticky sweetness. No effervescence.

Overall Drinkability - If you like your cough syrup in a glass bottle, this is the way to go.

08-13-2011 22:54:56 | More by ZenAgnostic
blakelive784

Colorado

1.43/5  rDev -33.8%

A - Pours a ruby color. Looks exactly like juice in fact. Purple head with no retention.

S - Smells exactly like blueberry juice. Hints of a macro lager perhaps?

T - Sweet, sugary taste. Taste rather like Mad Dog, not beer.

M - Wet mouthfeel. Doesn't resemble beer at all.

D - Quite drinkable, if you like Welch's or Kool-aide.

08-04-2011 04:59:56 | More by blakelive784
kojevergas

2.28/5  rDev +5.6%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Westvleteren Goblet in Denver, CO. Reviewed live.

A: 1.5 finger head of fair cream, decent thickness, and good retention. Dark red colour. Looks like Welch's juice.

Sm: Blueberry and prune. A mild strength aroma.

T: Decent blueberry esters, overpowered sugar, koolaid, and syrup. Badly built for a blueberry beer. Better suited as a children's sports beverage. Simple and crap, but decently balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Doesn't suit the flavours of the body.

Dr: Like a bad gatorade flavour mixed with blueberry fun dip. In Slovenian, the word for this is "fucking shite". High ABV, especially for the brewery (if we can call it that), and of poor quality and even availabilty. The deceptive marketing just pisses off consumers. Ignore this one.

08-04-2011 04:59:32 | More by kojevergas
LSUPT

1.27/5  rDev -41.2%

So this bottle has been skulking around in my buddy’s fridge for a couple months now and what do you know, it’s there tonight! So time for a review, I guess. I can’t tell what the date is. I think it is expired but everyone knows this beer ages with the best of ‘em.

12oz bottle to a pint glass, probably still too classy. Pours to a surprising 2½ inch head, with a purple tint, that hangs on for a while, actually, and eventually recedes to nothing leaving sparse lacing. Color is the same as grape juice but a bit darker purple and cloudier.

I expected the aroma to be stronger but it is like blueberries sitting in water and grape cough medicine. Ok, so I let this “beer” sit for a good ten minutes, as I was pretty scared to drink it. The taste is about the furthest thing from beer I’ve had since breast milk. Grape soda, wine coolers, more cough medicine and maybe a slight blueberry syrup taste, and amazingly it gets worse as it warms as the 8% presents itself. I couldn’t come close to finishing it. Grossly over carbonated, damn close to soda with smaller bubbles. Body virtually identical to Smirnoff Ices. Worst beer I've had or ever will have? Probably.

Overall, this beer lives up to the hype. I never thought I would get a shot at this rarity, so big shout out to the douchebags that brought this to one of my friend's parties and forgot one in the fridge, thanks guys.

08-03-2011 07:53:04 | More by LSUPT
sulldaddy

Connecticut

1.93/5  rDev -10.6%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. For some reason this bottle was in my cellar for about 2 years. We will have to see what happens with this tasting.
The beer pours a blush wine to grape juice purple color with minimal fizzy purple head that fades to a thin edge layer immediately. I believe Midas Touch from DFH was this color or is this color now, cant remember if the old or new version is colored brew.
Aroma is a mix of a grape jolly rancher, church wine and some blueberry syrup. I dont think it smells like fresh blueberries having just eaten fresh berries from our CSA for the past week. It isnt really chemically or offensive just more like a syrup IMO.
First sip reveals a light body and fine prickly carbonation that tingles throughout the swallow.
Texture is a little watery and is more like a soda than beer.
Flavor is sweet sugary candy with maybe a bit of syrup again. I dont get any hops or malt character but I find that the 8% is also fairly well hidden as I consume the beer.
THis is certainly a sweet candy brew and I would put it much closer to a malternative than a fruit beer, but I dont find it disgusting or offensive for what it is. I dont get any chemically or pungent flaws but wont be buying this again. Try it as a gimmick I guess but dont expect and grainy or malty character to balance the sweet candy fruit flavor and character.

08-03-2011 03:17:57 | More by sulldaddy
SkitzIrish3

1.2/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured a dark berry blue with fizzy, purple head that dissipated to nothing before I could toss my cap in the garbage. Smells like a berry Kool-Aid and nothing like beer. Granted, fruit beer doesn’t smell like traditional beer, but this doesn’t even smell real. Light body with a trace of alcohol. It's like drinking a lighter UV Vodka. I drank one the other night with some friends simply for the 8% alcohol, but I think the rest of this one is going down a drain.

08-01-2011 00:38:57 | More by SkitzIrish3
mralphabet

2.08/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: If plum/wine colored... what the F**k... Not at all what I was expecting... about 1 fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with a little lacing. (Giving pretty good points here... Original)

S: OK big surprise it smells like blueberries, sweet malt and wine.

T: Overwhelming overly sweet blueberries.... not fresh blueberry, but an artificial blueberry... Very sticky and sweet with a boozy finish (Feeling the 8% ABV now). Aftertaste is warming an sticky sweet...

M: Little on the thick side... thick with sweet sugar.

D: Well this is different from the other Blueberry beers I've had.... This one went more blueberry than beer... Hell I don't think you can call this beer.... Really, this is more wine like than any fruit beer I've had. I will not be back.

07-31-2011 23:08:03 | More by mralphabet
Karyyk

South Carolina

2.03/5  rDev -6%

There are a group of beers that are often cited as being beers for people that don't like beer. That Wild Blue is often cited at the top of this list just goes to show that if you don't like beer, chances are that any beer you'll like won't taste like it. Wild Blue certainly doesn't.

Visually, Wild Blue at least looks the part. It pours a nice, two-finger purple head and there's abundant lacing as you swill it down. The beer itself is a deep purple-brown color. If I were to judge a beer by looks alone, you'd think that Wild Blue Blueberry Lager is a good one. Unfortunately for AB, taste is ultimately king when it comes to beer.

The smell is where you start to detect that there's something wrong. It's very fruity, but not in a natural way. If you want to think of an artificially flavored drink, Kool-Aid, Welch's Grape "Juice" or generic grape "drank," you're on the right track. It's not really unpleasant, but it really doesn't smell natural. It's almost as if AB had brewed regular old macro-lager and added artificially-flavored blueberry syrup to it.

Once you start to drink it, you know something is wrong. It's drinkable enough I suppose, but you have to remind yourself that you're drinking beer, at least for as long as it's cold. Once, it warms up a bit, you start to notice the malt-liquor like taste, but not at all in a good way. It's very sweet and has that artificial blueberry flavor, but this is beer in name only. If there's a positive note to add to that, it's that it's very hard to believe that this is an 8% ABV brew.

Ultimately, all I can say is that I'm glad I like beer. If this is the swill non-beer drinkers turn to, I actually kind of feel sorry for them. If this were marketed as a flavored malt beverage, I'd probably be a bit less harsh, but the fact that AB tries to market this along the lines of a micro-brew is insulting at best. There are good examples of fruit beer out there (Abita Purple Haze comes to mind, a personal favorite), but this surely isn't it. If you like real beer, I would advise you to steer clear, but in the event you like the idea of a brew that comes across like a blueberry soda, well, you might give it a try (with a healthy helping of my pity).

07-28-2011 04:32:41 | More by Karyyk
sixerofelixir

12 oz bottle. Julian code printed on front label, bottom left side. And it looks oddly familiar in its typeset.. But it couldn't be AB, could it? Not when this beer is brewed out of Baldwinsville, NY by Blue Dawg Brewing?!! Yep, it is. Another deceiptful attempt at "craft beer" by our friends at AB.

Pours an absolutely deep, brownish-purple. Looks like a glass of carbonated grape juice. A nice, lite-purple head sticks around. For its eccentricity, this beer scores well in the visual dept. Then things tend to go south.. Something odd on the smell, like a musty room in the basement. And some blueberries, of course. Kind of like if Grandma put some fruit in the cellar and left it to rot. Then the taste, where things get almost repulsive. A wine-cooler kick to the throat, with scads of boo-berries - excuse me, blueberries - explode like a Hostess fruit pie. Way too artificial for any sincerity. Finish is downright boozy, hot, and too much in general. There is no reason for this beer to be 8%, or exist really. I don't know what this is? Except bad. Drainpour, only the third one ever for me..

07-27-2011 04:42:43 | More by sixerofelixir
bubseymour

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance - Looks like a blueberry icey pop in my pilsener glass. Large head that quickly dissappears. Considering it is such a unique colorring I figure I'd rate it higher for appearance. That is where it ends.

Smell - Slight blueberry hints. Nothing much else.

Taste - Slightly bitter blueberry flavor. Is this even a beer? Some slight booziness but thought it would be more boozy considering 8% ABV

Mouthfeel - nothing to note as usual from me.

Overall - Not very impressed. I'm sampling 1/2 a beer and gave wife the other half. Rather have a purple passion or tropical mixed drink than this pseudo beer. Still isn't quite a drainpour but not very refreshing either.

07-20-2011 18:51:39 | More by bubseymour
Number967

1.2/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured into a glass with a small head that disappeared almost immediately. Smells like Juicy Juice, has a reddish/purple coloring. Tastes like carbonated grape or blueberry juice with alcohol dumped in. To be honest, i only drank about 1/4 of the glass and couldn't transition to another beer because it made my mouth taste awful.

07-18-2011 00:30:58 | More by Number967
SiriusBock

2.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Ok so this isn't an infused fruit beer like a Raison D'être. Not even close. It looked kind of cool in a glass, a deep purple red. Barely any head, no lacing. The taste was one step up from one of those Joose things. It was too sweet, too fake blueberry flavor, just too much. The only reason I bought this stuff was because I didn't look carefully and thought I was getting something from Flying Dog. Shame on me.

07-12-2011 21:34:33 | More by SiriusBock
Arithmeticus

Maryland

2.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured chilled in tall glass.

A: purple. Yep, purple. Thin head dissipates quickly, good carb action
S: really nice grape soda smell; very sweet
T: given the above I was expecting a very sweet spiked grape soda; no such luck; it's relatively bitter, even a bit sour; imagine a Baltika or a malt-beverage beer laced with blueberry color and grape/blueberry flavoring

I'll be looking to give the rest of this hooch away.

07-11-2011 20:26:01 | More by Arithmeticus
Concordia

I like this beer, it's sweet and fruity and fun! Consider it a dessert beer or with fruit and cheese. It has a strong blueberry taste and a heavy feel. The 8% alcohol content gives you a nice fuzzy feeling all over! This is a good alternative to have on hand for the wine drinkers at your next beer bash.

07-11-2011 03:24:46 | More by Concordia
reefkeeper99

1.33/5  rDev -38.4%

This beer does not look, smell, or taste like beer. It is an alcoholic version of Welch's grape soda. If I've ever had a worse beer, I can't remember when. Actually, I hesitate to refer to it as a beer, because it bears no resemblance to real beer. I salute those of you who can stomach this crap, but I would way that if this stuff appeals to you, then you are probably not truly a fan of beer.

06-19-2011 11:25:26 | More by reefkeeper99
Knapp85

I'm give it a C because I'm on the fence with this beer. I won't buy it but I still take samples of it at festivals and such. This beer pours out as a blue-ish purple color. Looks like a kids juice or something. The smell of the beer is fruity and sweet, more like a wine cooler or something. The taste of the beer is super sweet, it's actually much better if it's blended with a Shock Top. The guy giving out samples at last years Allentown Brew Works Beer Fest got creative and was making beer cocktails those two beers. Anyway, the mouthfeel is pretty smooth and it almost medium bodied. Overall this beer I feel is too sweet on it's own to drink more than one. I won't buy it, but it's worth trying.

06-06-2011 04:50:27 | More by Knapp85
claytong

Vermont

1.43/5  rDev -33.8%

it looked like some sort of funny grape soda. i didnt realize this was a anheuser beer. label says blue dawg brewing. makes a bit more sense.
tasted similar to a funny grape soda with a sugary alcohol kick.
i might consider getting this beer again for someone who doesnt like beer but is into fruit juice.

05-24-2011 05:54:45 | More by claytong
huxcrunner

Looks like grape juice tastes like fruit drink not like beer at all, is more simalir to a carbonated fruit wine so if you hate beer and love wine you might like this one the only good thing about this beer is that its 8% so if you can stomach it you can do some damage...overall not reccommeded beer

05-21-2011 04:17:11 | More by huxcrunner
isaacpopp

1.65/5  rDev -23.6%

poured cold into a pint glass.

A - Is this beer? Very blue-ish purple. Kind of looks like a juice more than anything. Little to no head or retention.

S - This reminds me of a can of blueberries. The ones that smell (and taste) like the metal can as much as they do blueberries. Needless to say it was a memorable smell and not in a good way.

T - again, is this beer? It tastes like someone poured some kind of strawberry syrup into a glass with a few drops of beer at the finish.

M - Slightly syrupy to match with the way it looks and smells.

O - Really a bad "beer". My wife enjoyed it but she isn't a beer drinker. I wouldn't buy this again or recommend it to anyone. Maybe it would be good to drink if you don't want a real beer and can stomach fake fruit smells/tastes?

05-17-2011 22:20:52 | More by isaacpopp
KajII

3.23/5  rDev +49.5%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

Poured a murky medium cranberry with an average sized pink frothy head that dissapated after a few minutes and had fair lacing. The aroma right away hits you with the sweet scent of blueberry’s with a mild bread malt and a sweet yeast. It tasted mildly sweet and just a tad sour with a strong blueberry presence from start to finish with the flavor lasting quite a long time. I did notice a warming sensation from the alcohol about 30 seconds after the swallow, but did not taste it at all. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and a little syrupy in texture with a lively carbonation. Overall a very sweet fruit beer and rather refreshing.

05-17-2011 17:17:05 | More by KajII
GallowsThief

1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - An odd purple brown color. One finger head with no retention.

S - Umm well what little there is is somewhat sweet but honestly its not much.

T - Grape Nehi come to mind? Sweet. Is this beer? Tastes like someone poured a blueberry sauce into water.

M - Thin. Weird sweetness left behind making me long for water.

O - Bad. Really bad. Try it just to make me feel better please. Share the pain.

04-28-2011 01:16:25 | More by GallowsThief
Serofibrinous

2.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I poured this beer out and quickly became intrigued. The blueberry aroma and maroonish hue were promising for this, in my opinion, novelty beer. To save readers time, when I had my first sip I almost gagged. Being the alky that I am, I forced down the rest hoping the 8% alcohol content would hasten my repulsed vagal response. Well, it kinda did, that and stuffing my face with left-over pasta I brought home that night.
I will never have this "beer" again. Sorry BA but I cannot comment on the qualities of this beverage as its beer component is washed out with whatever welfare "blue drink" syrup Annheiser-Busch used to make it. Womp womp wooomp!

04-26-2011 05:34:47 | More by Serofibrinous
json83

3.03/5  rDev +40.3%

Wild Blue has a strong blueberry kick. It is the first beer that I've had with a fruit/blueberry flavor.

It a great beer to start out the night or at least to try but I probably wouldn't recommend it - unless you’re a huge fan of kool-aid. I need extra words so I decided to add this sentence:)

04-24-2011 02:44:41 | More by json83
douglasbarbin

Louisiana

1.63/5  rDev -24.5%

I had my first one of these tonight, and I just had to write my first review on it. This beer was so bad, it moved me to action, which is pretty much the opposite of what a beer is supposed to do. I was tempted to give it 1's across the board, but I'm hoping that somewhere out there is a worse beer, so I'll rate this one slightly higher.

12 oz. bottle poured into a glass tankard

Appearance: Holy smokes! This is by far the most unnatural color for a beer I've ever seen. Like others have said, the color is best described as "grape soda". Thin, half-finger head that quickly dissipates with very little lacing.

Smell: EXTREME smell of blueberry (or blueberry extract) and what I imagine high-fructose corn syrup smells like. You can literally smell the sugar in this stuff. I rated this beer higher on its smell than anything else, mostly due to the fact that the smell isn't all that unpleasant. Mind you, it isn't what I want my beer to smell like, but it isn't some sort of rank, offensive odor, either. I'm looking for one redeeming quality in this beer, and this is all I could come up with.

Taste: Sugar. It tastes like a batch of Kool-Aid that somebody accidentally made with a triple-dose of sugar. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer contained unfermented high-fructose corn syrup or maple syrup. There is a very artificial blueberry taste as well, but sugar is the overwhelming taste. Not very good. On a positive note, you would NEVER guess that this stuff is an 8% ABV beer by the taste. A wine cooler, perhaps, but it certainly doesn't taste like beer.

Drinkability: Depends on how well you can chug grape soda, I suppose. It is slightly less carbonated than grape soda, and goes down fairly easily, especially for an 8% ABV. That is, until the sugar overwhelms you. I made it maybe halfway through this one before deciding to pour it out and try something better.

Summary: Shame on you, Anheuser-Busch. Fellow beer drinkers, avoid this one like the plague. It is sickeningly sweet, and probably the worst beer I have had thus far in my life (mind you, I'm not quite 30 yet...so maybe there is something worse, but I kinda doubt it). The only reason I could justify buying more of this beer would be if I wanted to get myself of my girlfriend wasted on something with high ABV that didn't taste strongly of alcohol. Even then, there are far better choices. Honestly, I'd rather buy Cisco wine or Thunderbird. They taste just as bad, but have twice the ABV, so at least I wouldn't have to stomach quite as much foul-tasting swill.

04-22-2011 02:23:08 | More by douglasbarbin
Mora2000

2.68/5  rDev +24.1%

The beer pours a reddish-purple with a pink head. The aroma is heavy on the blueberries and cherries. The only notes I get in the aroma are fruit, no malt or hops are present. The flavor is more of the same. There is a ton of blueberry and some alcohol in the flavor. You can tell it is 8 percent. Overall the beer tastes a bit medicinal and quite a bit like blueberry cough syrup. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

04-04-2011 02:40:20 | More by Mora2000