Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

2.08/5  rDev -3.7%

Uniquely blueberry color dark and deep purple sslight whitish purple head.

Smells of Blueberry Juice and alcohol.

Tastes like blueberry juice and malt liquor, weird sort of champagne.

Decent wet mouthfeel, with medium carbonation and a semi thin liquid.

Not too drinkable, actually quite difficult to finish maybe for a celebration and pretend its bubbly
ok price 6 for 8 bones.

11-15-2010 03:03:09 | More by JoeAmerican77
nlmartin

1.58/5  rDev -26.9%

I was at a bar with some non beer drinkers. I desperately scoured the place for anything drinkable. The bastards didnt even have Sam Adams. The bar tender passed me a bottle of this beer saying it was the best the house had. I was a very sad panda.

Appearance: The body of the beer is straight up the color of Welches grape aide. The head quickly resolved.

Smell: This is what a blueberry soda would smell like. Overly sweet chemical blueberry.

Taste: The flavor is sugary sweet blueberry. A but of alcohol peaks out from the blueberry syrup.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Oh lord this is a cloying sticky sweet mess. The combination of the alcohol mouth and the scrubbing action of the over carbonation is bad. Perhaps not the worst tasting beer ever but definately not enjoyable.

11-13-2010 11:59:22 | More by nlmartin
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.68/5  rDev -22.2%

An one finger light blue head; not quite the right color for beer. Head heads south leaving a small ring of lace which slides down the glass. Color is a dark brown purple, which comes closes to a 28 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells like blueberries and malt. Tastes....well, blueberries, malt, and a weird over taste of mint leaves. Nothing much happening as I move it around my mouth. A sweet sickening flavor that annoys the more you drink. Much more like bad wine than beer. One was more than I need to sample.

11-11-2010 19:03:33 | More by beerprovedwright
JayS2629

Alabama

2.35/5  rDev +8.8%

A- purple/red color with pinkish bubbly head. No lacing.

S- blueberry upfront. Hints of vanilla.

T- Totally blueberry. Very sweet. Not bubtle at all. Blueberry is overwhelming.

M- Syrup adn sticky. High carbonaation. Light bodied.

D- Super sweet and sticky.

Thick and syrupy. I can't handle more than one.

11-11-2010 05:18:24 | More by JayS2629
misterhilleke

Tennessee

1.73/5  rDev -19.9%

A = purplish red, lots of bubbles, light pink/purple head that lasted about as long as it took to pour, no lacing whatsoever (on a clean glass)

S = very blueberry, i can already tell this is going to be very sweet, tangy/sour/sharp sort of smell but overwhelmingly blueberry

T = I was right; there's a LOT of sugar in there. huge blueberry taste but not like any other blueberry lager I've had. this is blueberry soda, with a little less sugar. no wheat or malt or anything to bring you back to beer

M = syrupy, very carbonated, sticks to the back of your throat

D = The only reason I didn't take a dump on this beer is that when it came down to it, I really didn't mind the taste. BUT then I remembered I was supposed to be drinking a lager and I would become disappointed all over again.

11-06-2010 08:02:02 | More by misterhilleke
katybee

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +106.9%

Wow, I wish I could write a review of this beer that would adjust it's status in the rankings! I think this is one of the best flavored beers I've ever had and it doesn't deserve this low position! Perhaps poured into a glass the color of this beer seems artificial. I had it from the bottle and never noticed that it was magenta. But the flavor was what struck me. I've had other fruity beers--even microbrews...raspberry, pumpkin, apricot ales, and lambic--but this lager maintains a true beer hoppy character, with the punch of real blueberry tang. I loved it. I didn't know the company is now Anheuser-Busch, not "Bluedawg Breweries". Still, I like the cute designer label. I loved the flavor, and found this highly quaffable, and definitely misrepresented here! Give it a chance; it's great!

appearance: okay, this does not look like a true beer. the huge foamy head is fun though, and so is the blueberry color! lambics look similar.

the smell: is mostly blueberry, which I love.
although there is a trace of true hops as well.

the taste: for me is what sells this beer. the dry hops are discernable, but trace. Yet this is definitely a beer, and not a lambic. And for me, blueberry is a drier flavor than raspberry or apricot. This is a delicious drink on it's own. Or something you'd take to a summer concert or a picnic. No residual aftertaste, and goes well with sandwhiches and light snacks.

the mouthfeel is exceptional in that it's carbonation is very tight, and clear. there is little beer hops aftertaste.

This is a highly drinkable beverage in my eyes. It does go down very quickly. I found the high alcohol volume a little surreptious and is something to be wary of...The flavor is easily the best selling point, but the 8.0% abv in this beverage does pack a kick.

10-21-2010 22:32:34 | More by katybee
womencantsail

1.65/5  rDev -23.6%

One of my friends brought this to a party recently and was ridiculed to no end (with good reason). I humored him and took a bottle, mostly to see if my girlfriend would like it (she didn't).

A: The pour is a dark red-purple with a big pink colored head to go with it. Hey, looks just like Blabaer! Right...?

S: This is certainly a blueberry beer. It's also one that smells more like a soda, and certainly has enough artificial character to make one thing this is a blend of all sorts of different chemical flavor and aroma compounds.

T: God is this beer sweet! This one pretty much tastes like sugar and blueberries (perhaps like blueberry syrup, extra syrup). Some definite alcohol notes too, and damn, not a surprise at 8%.

M: The body is light and this beer is terribly overcarbonated. You've got to love that scouring effect on your palate.

D: One word: diabeetus. This beer is beyond cloying and I don't think there's any way I could finish a bottle of this.

10-20-2010 21:58:57 | More by womencantsail
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

1.75/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a deep ruby/mahogany with a wimpy little head that is gone very quickly.
S - Entirely blueberries. Not very appealing, but inoffensive.
T- Taste is artificial blueberries and solvent alcohol. Very bad. Far too sweet and the alcohol is not appealing.
F - Light body and decent carbonation. Move along, nothing to see here.
D - Not pleasant to drink. Alcohol is ever-present and the sweetness is overwhelming.

Avoid this at all costs, it's pretty miserable.

10-16-2010 03:26:11 | More by greenmonstah
Swill5786

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a purple-rose tint, one finger purple head. Nose of grape soda with mild hoppiness in the background. Taste is grape soda with mild hops at the finish along with a faint breadiness lingering. Super overwhelming carbonation level with a medium body. A bit cloying after a short while.

10-10-2010 01:00:49 | More by Swill5786
TheKingofWichita

2.17/5  rDev +0.5%

So big beer company tries to make fruit beer....
Pours a deep blue color with a wimpy head.
Smells like artificial blueberry flavoring, not miuch else.
Tastes like blueberry pie filling, no hops, no alcohol, no malts, super sweet like a liquid blueberry pie (sorry, no crust.)
Mouthfeel is strangely thick and somewhat oily.
Kind of drinkable, worlds better than most of their other beer.

10-09-2010 14:52:05 | More by TheKingofWichita
Thorpe429

1.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a clearly artificial bluish purple without much head or lacing. Smell is fake blueberries, like a bad candle. Taste doesn't really improve things much--they actually get worse. Like the worst blueberry candy I could imagine in liquid form. Feel is like and grossly fruity. Very bad. Very, very bad.

10-08-2010 00:44:36 | More by Thorpe429
Pcois13

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +84.3%

This is a new category for beer and I think it is very good and Drinkable. Obvious not something I expected from AB but they do surprise you all the time. A lot of reviews on this beer are more anti AB then they are true reviews of the beer. So I am disappointed that the self proclaimed "beer gurus" cannot give a neutral beer review. If this was made by New Belgium it would be the greatest beer ever made. YOu know who you are the ones that feel insulted right now as you read this. Great job AB you did it again.

10-07-2010 22:40:03 | More by Pcois13
SKMO

Missouri

1.33/5  rDev -38.4%

Well I was in an Autumn fruity-beer mood and picked this up on impulse. I had no idea this was an A/B product and could not tell from the label. Said some company in New York.

When I cracked the first top it exuded an overpowering artificial blueberry smell. Then went downhill.

Appearance - Very colorful, like reddish grape soda.

Smell - Overpowering, overwhelming, artificial blueberry smell.

Taste - See smell above. Very sweet, artificial. Industrial Blueberry for sure. Heavy and sweet, with raw yeast undertones.

Mouthfeel - Actually could not get around to thinking about that, but as best as I could describe would be a fizzy berry soda pop with a shot of Everclear and some corn syrup added.

Drinkability - High ABV is it's only redeeming feature, kind of like a vintage Thunderbird.

Given a blind sample of this and asked to describe it, I doubt I would have used the word beer in the first few sentences. It bears no resemblance to beer. Nor anything else I would intentionally drink again for that matter.

A friend and I drank one apiece and I let him take the 4 remainders home. He thought he could throw one at a time into large pitchers of Sangria and nobody would notice. He also thought he could put a double shot of cough elixer into a glass of this stuff and sleep through the initial stages of flu.

In any case, it is a truly unique (bizarre) beverage, that I can't imagine anyone would enjoy. The cheapest wine cooler is succulent compared to this, but maybe the 8% ABV does it for some people.

10-02-2010 04:22:36 | More by SKMO
devinoconnor

Simply the worst beer I've ever had, and I've tasted thousands. This is disgusting. I'm not some anti-fruit beer kind of guy. In fact, I love Lancaster Brewery's Strawberry Wheat, so when I saw this I picked up a six pack.

I can't remember another time when I opened a beer (and the first one of the night) and I didn't finish it, and later, pour the entire remaining five bottles down the sink.

The beer is purple in color. There is nothing lager about it. It is sour blueberry juice with grain alcohol. Disgusting. Avoid.

09-30-2010 22:24:48 | More by devinoconnor
nukem5

3.6/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a wine/grape color, and had a great looking pink cap of foam about 1/2 - 3/4 thick. Sadley it dissapeared rapidly.

S: Blueberry galore with little or no hop aroma.

T: More like a malt beverage than beer.Very berry instantly wondering how many pounds of blueberries surly not my standard 4lbs per 5 gallon I use for a fruit beer, and find out used juice for flavor. But still great berry flavor.

M: Was good on the the tongue and ABV at 8 % was not very overpowering as in some high gravity beers.

D: Was not inclined to have another but was very impressed with knowledge of Anheuser-Busch, Inc. They can make a beer with taste even if its a non conventional one.

09-30-2010 03:51:15 | More by nukem5
smakawhat

Maryland

1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Well...

I made a review of this and was actually being polite calling it Ugly. Pours a syrupy feel, and leaves a real sorry looking disturbing pink foamy head.

I come here and I see the same comments. A head that dissolves instantly, a beer where you can't smell any of the so called hops of this "premium lager", cough syrup, grape juice... etc.. etc.. weak mouth feel. A wine cooler not a beer.

As for smell, it's all cough syrup and fake artificial fruit. Worse is the taste.

I give this a failing grade because this does NOT resemble beer in any shape or form what so ever. There is no malt, bread, or hops to taste or feel, and this is really nothing more than a GNS based vodka Smirinoff wine cooler piece of baloney.

Avoid this thing.

09-23-2010 03:41:31 | More by smakawhat
wahhmaster

1.18/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a purplish-red color reminiscent of red wine. Has a thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly leaving little to no lacing.

Smell: Smells of blueberry extract and alcohol. This is one of the few beers that I can say actually smells unpleasant.

Taste: Has a mild bitterness up front but all that gives way to an overwhelming, sickening blueberry flavor. This tastes less like beer and more like a sub-standard wine cooler.

Mouthfeel: Like sparkling water...

Drinkability: This is barely recognizable as a beer. This may be the worst beer I've ever had. If I was offered this by someone, I would politely decline and just have water instead. Honestly, this is terrible. Its only redeeming quality is that it's 8% ABV so at least I could possibly get drunk enough to forget I ever had it.

09-14-2010 16:46:46 | More by wahhmaster
benniewi

4.6/5  rDev +113%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To start off, I'm an IPA drinker, yet occasionally I like a good Kool-Aid beer. This is definitely a Kool-Aid beer. I will down a quick sweet Leinie's Berry Weiss on occasion and love it, so this was up my alley.

Whoa, hits me like a ton-o bricks when I drink it as fast, since it's 8%. Wow. This really shouldn't be ranked with other beers since it's almost a "malt beverage" but I liked it. I liked it a lot. I'm almost embarrassed to say I did, but I did. It reminds me of the blueberry Eggos I had with my five year old this morning. LOL

The beer itself is sweet. Pouring it I found a beer that is the same hue as wine, of all things--a purple rarely found in beer. The head disappeared almost immediately. The aroma reminds me of IHOP on a Sunday morning and I've just poured a healthy portion of blueberry syrup over my short stack of hotcakes. It also reminds me of the aforementioned Leinie's Berry Weiss. I don't get an unpleasant artificially sweet aftertaste, which was pleasing.

This might be really appreciated by people who grew up on "Grape Drink" (Dave Chapelle?) or who cannot tolerate the bitterness of a good brew. You'll probably love it if you like like fruity beers. I did. But since I like bitter DIPA's regularly, I can't get over how good this beer is. I just wonder what a Bell's Hopslam would taste like after one of these?

09-13-2010 00:56:36 | More by benniewi
baldmasterflex

3.6/5  rDev +66.7%

I had to pick this up after seeing all the terrible ratings on it. And after, trying it, i like this beer, but i wouldnt seek it out to drink it again.

From the moment of popping off the cap it gives off a very pungent and sweet berry aroma. Not unpleasant but somewhat "artificial" with a very Joose-like malt liquor tainted smell in the background.

Pours a clear deep red with pink off-white head. Some lacing actually clings to the glass for throughout the session but most quickly recedes immidiately.

Taste is not bad, all berry sweetness, but no depth to balance it out. Bitter bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very thin and overly carbonated.

Drinkability is pretty good, the body seems very light for the alc. content.

I honestly dont even know if this is really a "beer" or more of a flavored malt beverage as i feel there really isnt much of an emphasis on hops and malt interplay.

09-13-2010 00:50:29 | More by baldmasterflex
Spankmaster

Wisconsin

My new FAVORITE beer! Smell, taste, mouthfeel and especially drinkability are all FANTATSTIC! It's a little strong at 8% alc, but goes down smooth. My local liquor store only carries it in 6 packs, and sells out pretty regularly. A highly recommended drink.

09-12-2010 18:13:07 | More by Spankmaster
Natainos

2.4/5  rDev +11.1%

Very disappointed here! I went to my local Wegmans to pick a blueberry beer and, boy did I fail! (I had a really good blueberry beer at our local Rhinos Soccer stadium when I knew nothing about beer quality and was very impressed yet failed to remember the name and hence I have been left to search for the taste.) What the heck was that BEER.

OK on to this mess.

A: it looks like grape juice. No head or lace.

s: Actual good, like blueberry pancakes.

T: YUCK! This is not beer, more like a wine cooler, or juice with fizz. I am disappointed since i was looking for BEER! not a boons.

M: Not good. Metallic,

D: Not my type of "beer" I wanted a sweet blueberry beer but this has no beer qualities. Good Thing is my wife really likes it so the six pack will not go to waste.

IF this was a wine-cooler review, I would say this is good.

09-12-2010 02:45:14 | More by Natainos
sauron681

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a crimson red color, with no head or lacing whatsoever. Aroma of sparkling grape juice. Tastes very sweet, yet crisp, with a slight aftertaste of bitterness.

Faint notes of hops, very sugary, but not heavy. Do not drink more than one of these. I sense you will suffer gut rot if you do.

Unfortunately this may be a better beer to mix in a smoothie, or pour over your pancakes!

09-01-2010 02:50:17 | More by sauron681
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.15/5  rDev -46.8%

Why oh why did I do this one to myself, I have been asking that question more and more lately as I go through the worst of the worst, but hey I got to do it. Bottle served cold and poured into a footed pilsner glass, this one was consumed on 08/16/2010.

The pour looked liked something out of my childhood memories as the purple colored liquid with the bright pink top just seemed wrong. Lacing held up for a little while, but it was not long before it faded to leave a weird grape soda looking liquid. Small aroma of alcohol and faint, fake fruit notes come through the air, this was enough to almost make me sick. One sip was all it took. The overly carbonated, thick, artificial fruit flavor was too much to bear. It was like taking a colt 45 and mixing it with grape soda. Just wrong.

Overall I have been going after some real winners lately but this may be hands down the worst I have had.

08-18-2010 00:39:40 | More by mikesgroove
rambojr03

Iowa

1.95/5  rDev -9.7%

I too fell into the trap. I love how the first thing I saw on the 6 pack sleeve is "Gold Medal Award". Had I known this beer was made by AB, I'd have passed. The concept seems great. An 8.0% "lager" with complexity, and flavor. However, what you're getting from it is a glorified malt liquor/cheap wine flavor. I paid $8.69 for a 6 pack of this, and would have been better off buying a sixer of Steel Reserve and a 40 OZ of something else.

I guess if anything, it's the last time I buy this piss again.

08-17-2010 06:03:27 | More by rambojr03
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

1.7/5  rDev -21.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees, fridge chilled for approx 15 minutes

This looks like red-tinted grape soda. The head of loose foam is over two-fingers high and an almost unnatural pinkish-red-purple color. It recedes fairly quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

Smell is like the fake blueberry smell of packaged blueberry muffin mix. There is nothing 'real' about this smell. It does smell very sweet though, if that helps.

If you mixed grape soda, cheap red wine and blueberry flavoring together, then let it sit in the hot sun to ferment for a couple of weeks....
I'm not sure if that would be better than this, but it would be damn close.
This tastes more like Boones Farm than beer.

It's almost full-bodied and has a fairly high level of carbonation. This gives it a very 'soda pop' kind of feel. Not really what I look for in a beer.

I've had a few sips for the purpose of this review. As soon as this is done, the rest is going to be a drain pour. Very low drinkability.

08-12-2010 01:47:29 | More by coldmeat23