Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
wangbruins

1.8/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Poured nicely with a deep purple color and a large pink head that settled rather nicely

S- The blueberry scent wasn't as strong as I expected. It actually smelled more like strawberries to me

T- It was like sugary blueberries, like blueberry pop or gum

M- Felt like I was drinking pop. It was bubbly with a little jump on the tongue and sting in the throat

D- Again, it's like blueberry pop so I could have one or two but the ABV and color is the most appealing aspects of this beer

08-28-2009 16:33:20 | More by wangbruins
scottyshades

2.38/5  rDev +10.7%

I picked this one up out of pure curiosity. Sick of looking at it basically.
A: Pours a transparent cranberry color that produces a very light shade of purple. The head is actually pretty decent and retains well, leaving some lacing along my pint glass. So far, not too bad at all.

S: Not exactly what I had hoped for, but then again, when has Busch ever come thru for me? Very fruity aroma. Artificial blueberries are dominant, raspberry is pretty abundant too. Very artificial and sweet smelling fruits.

T: Similar to the nose. More juice-like than I thought it would be. The only hops I could detect were slightly bittering, no floral. Slight alcohol kick as well. I just realized this was 8%...

MF/D: Less carbonated than others, light body, long raspberry finish coupled with some alcohol.

Not good at all, but a refreshing beer for sure.

08-27-2009 19:44:40 | More by scottyshades
thequeen711

2.9/5  rDev +34.9%

Poured red and gathered a pink head...great for us gals...Head disappeared quite quickly. Nose of bluberries, taste of blueberry champagne, ultra light mouthfeel, and the 8% ABV kicks in quickly. Just a pretty reddish beer, champagne-like aftertaste, and very sweet. Not a beer to overload on, only a true fruity beer lover can appreciate this. Worth a try, the big AB company is trying to make a stake in the micro brewing business, not up to my standards.

08-17-2009 23:52:52 | More by thequeen711
BeerFMAndy

1.53/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler pint.

A - Blood red and clear with almost no bubbles. A loud fizzy head actually stayed for a while before dropping to a thin layer. Pink pastel colored head.

S - Rich blueberry syrup and sugar (think the pancake syrup from IHOP) but it actually has more of a fresh raspberry aroma than blueberry I think. It's not awful for what it is. No real hints of beer though.

T - Holy hell. It wasn't half bad til the first sip. Pure, overly sugared blueberry kool-ade, and that's insulting kool-ade. A warm alcohol finish just obscures this beer more. It tastes like a cheap vodka drink.

M - Dry, sugary as hell, and sweet with an alcoholic finish and zing.

D - I would give this beer a "1" in this category but the extra half point goes to the college boys who pick up a 6 of this for a party in hopes of getting laid by a helpless woman getting blasted off his 8% fruit syrup crap. Ugh. Appearance and smell had me worried I'd have the only non-D or F review until I had my first sip. Then I realized why it was so low.

08-11-2009 02:29:26 | More by BeerFMAndy
tone77

3.95/5  rDev +83.7%

From a brown 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty blue/voilet color with a small head. Has a strong smell of sweet blueberries. Taste just like it smells. Sweet and fruity. Feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall I was pleasently surprised. This is a quality brew.

08-10-2009 22:50:03 | More by tone77
drizzam

1.8/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle with an ugly-arse label into a clear pint glass. (What kind of amateur artwork is that anyways?)
I'm not one to judge a book by it's cover though so let's get to this review...

A - An aggressive pour yielded a one finger purple head that dissipated rather quickly leaving no lacing as I consumed the "lager". The brew itself looks like grape soda, clear purple in color with moderate carbonation. It says on the label that this is made from all natural ingredients and that blueberry sediment may be found in the bottle. I found no sign of any sediment.

S - As soon as I poured this brew into my glass, I noticed an overpowering scent of blueberries. I think you could smell this across the room! The blueberry scent also yielded some alcoholic esters. Kinda reminds me of Mad Dog 20/20.

T - The taste of this one is almost like a child's fruit juice box that was raped by an evil alcoholic. Canned blueberry filling taste with an alcohol bite on the finish. I'm a huge fan of the fruit beer genre but this just doesn't fit. Maybe I was hoping this would fit into almost a lambic category when I saw it on the shelf, but I'm disappointed with the result.

M & D - Thin, almost oily mouthfeel. This may have been a drinkable brew if they hadn't jacked the ABV up to 8%.

I'm not gonna call this a drain pour (I'm from WI so I don't believe in that) but I would not recommend this to anybody.

08-08-2009 19:34:47 | More by drizzam
flagmantho

Washington

2.73/5  rDev +27%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Kind of a purpley-red with a pinkish head. Not very traditional, but we're talking about a fruit beer here.

Smell: pretty much just blueberries.

Taste: very sweet. A little bit of malt flavor and quite a bit of blueberry, but mostly just sweet. It sort of tastes alright ... it just doesn't taste like beer. Maybe that's intentional.

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

Drinkability: being mostly inoffensively flavored, it has a pretty reasonable drinkability.

Saw this at the store and it looked interesting. It was clearly one of the "mock micros" that seem to be popular among the BMC marketing groups, but I thought it might be worth a try. Frankly, I should have been well-warned by a beer that has its 8% ABV so prominently placed on the label. I'm sure this is popular among the college crowd.

08-02-2009 19:04:57 | More by flagmantho
scaliasux

1.85/5  rDev -14%

Appearance - Reddish purple. A little hazy. Short reddish tinted head, quickly dissipates. Color doesn't seem quite right for blueberry.

Smell - Faint almost non-distinct blueberry. Nothing really indicating this is beer-based.

Taste - Very strong, sweet artificial blueberry flavor. Nothing apparent from the beer - more like an alcho-pop. Not real impressive, but not appalling.

Mouthfeel - Light and pretty crisp. Appropriate for style.

Drinkability - Cloying and fake tasting. It might be okay for your non-beer drinking girlfriend though.

07-30-2009 02:58:27 | More by scaliasux
zeff80

Missouri

1.2/5  rDev -44.2%

I had low expectations for this one and (amazingly) it still came up short! Purplish color with a pinkish head. It smelled like a blueberry muffin which isn't a bad thing but there were no beer-like aromas at all. It tasted like blueberries and water. Again, lacking beer-like qualities. Mouthfeel was watery and thin. This is not drinkable. I could not finish it. My wife loves blueberries and she didn't like it either.

07-27-2009 01:44:49 | More by zeff80
buschbeer

1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

The first thing that I noticed was that this was a lager and not an ale. Sounds like a refreshing summer beer. I poured into a pint glass and was surprised by the purple color. It looks like a grape pop (that's what I call soda). It smells syrupy sweet. I've had blueberry ales, but this seems too artificial. I kind of get a hint of beer smell in there. It tastes sweet at first, and then finishes tart. It is way too artificially sweet. I like fruit beers that have a hint of fruit, not making it the focal point. I can't see drinking more than one of these. I should follow this up with a Stone Ruination. That would be a real shock to the taste buds, going from sweet to bitter.

07-26-2009 14:51:18 | More by buschbeer
civilizedpsycho

1.78/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Dark purple color with a light purple head. I've tried fruit beers before and some aren't too bad, so this looked somewhat appealing.

Smell: Strong, sweet blueberry smell. A little overpowering.

Taste: It tastes a lot like a blueberry soda. At first I didn't mind it, but as the drink wore on, it just got too sweet for me.

Mouthfeel: Thin, feels like a soda.

Drinkability: Bad. The first few sips weren't awful; in fact, I kind of liked it. However, by the time I neared the end of the bottle, it just became a chore to finish. It's too sweet, and the blueberry became too overpowering. This is definitely not something I will be getting again.

07-24-2009 01:49:44 | More by civilizedpsycho
webbcreative

Oklahoma

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

First off, what is wrong with me, that I keep falling for this trick of fruit beers. It always sounds like a good idea but I always get let down ( excet the Wheach). Secondly, what is wrong these brewers that think a fake fruit, heavy syrupy flavor is what anyone wants to drink. Best thing about this beer was that I got a bottle I can use for homebrewing. Thus beer pours a raspberry color with the same color head. Smell is of tart fruit. Taste is the same but with the added bonus of a thick sickly sweet syrupy fruit flavor. Tough to get tough to get through this one, took about 30-40 min. Not what I was hoping for on a hot summer day in Oklahoma. Oh well you live you learn, well at least some people do...I'm sure i'll be back.

07-19-2009 22:01:37 | More by webbcreative
mtnbikerpa

Drank cold out of the bottle. I have little reason to think pouring this brew into a glass is gonna change anything. Very tart berry bitterness present with a strong booze kick. Very little if any lager flavor.

There are much better beers out there, but if drank quickly this is kinda refreshing.

07-15-2009 19:40:10 | More by mtnbikerpa
sonicstylee

1.3/5  rDev -39.5%

holy crap this was bad!! got it from a friend because he was instantly put off by it after one sip. I thought I'd be the better man, I was wrong. poured out a raspberry color and smelled like a tart red wine? no head unless aggressively agitated, and then dissipates quickly. tastes like a wine cooler, overly aggressive blueberry and alcohol flavors. this one got dumped after about 1/4 of the glass. would not buy this if you want to have a beer, because this is not beer.

07-12-2009 20:30:19 | More by sonicstylee
bgreg3

Indiana

1.63/5  rDev -24.2%

app.- Dark purple with a light purple head looks interesting.

smell- Smells like sparkling grape juice, thats about it.

Taste- Tastes like somebody took a grape soda and tossed a shot or two of blueberry vodka in it. I cannot tell that it's beer.

Mouthfeel- Hard to drink very heavy and syrup like to the palate, worst mouthfeel out of anything I've tried.

Drink.- This was a laborious 12 ounces , it was quite difficult to finish the glass took me about 20 minutes and gave me a nice buzz

It's just not beer to me.

07-10-2009 22:57:05 | More by bgreg3
Shumista

1.43/5  rDev -33.5%

Received this bottle for free from my buddy who bought a six pack, drank half of one and then gave the rest away. I have to admit that similar to bud clamato I have always had a sick curiosity to try this. My morbid curiousity never reached the point of actually spending money to try it however. Lucky for me my buddies sometimes make ill-advised beer purchases.

A- Wild Blue pours a syrupy dark purple, with a fizzy light purple head. Does not look like beer.

S- Smells like cheap berry flavored pop mixed with a couple of shots of Popov.

T- Tastes like cheap artificial berry flavoring with some adjunct malt flavor at the end. Haha, the alcohol is well hidden though. If you told me this was bad soda instead of beer I might just believe it.

M- Thick, syrupy and unpleasant.

D- This would have been my second drain pour ever but my girlfriend tried it and loved it. She said it was like a strong wine cooler.
Stay away from this one.

07-09-2009 18:42:44 | More by Shumista
cdpike

1.88/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours plumish purple with minimal light pink foam--already not what I was expecting (although I guess I'm not surprised). Nose is of candy-like blueberry and cheap beer, almost stale. The smell is really not very enticing to say the least. The taste is much more like bad grape soda than blueberry beer. It seems to get better now that I'm expecting more of a soda flavor than beer flavor. I can't get around this flavor that feels so artificial. In fact, if you told me it was soda I might believe you. Pretty light bodied, which frankly, is pretty impressive for a beer with 8% abv. Not very drinkable in my mind, although I'm a pretty staunch hophead and perhaps this beer has its place in someone else's fridge. I suppose I was hoping for more beer essence and far less fake fruit taste. If one wanted to have a beer like this, I would just get a true lambic. I don't believe I will be drinking this one again.

07-08-2009 02:37:41 | More by cdpike
runesead

1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Not the worst, but certainly not worth your time.

Appearance: It's purple. Beer should not be purple. It seems unnatural. This shows that they actively added coloring to make this unique or gimmicky.

Smell: This beer smells worse than it tastes. Skunky.

Taste: It tastes like someone dropped grape soda in a batch of yuengling. This does not taste like blueberries were in the mix, just flavoring

Mouthfeel: Nothing crazy, but this is not a taste you want to linger, which it does.

Drinkability: There is no need to drink this beer if you have any other beer around for the same price.

Note: My friend gave this to me, toting it as "the worst beer ever" not true, it's tolerable, but it's pretty bad.

07-01-2009 15:15:04 | More by runesead
TexSpence

This beer is, as they say, as close to a wine as they come - but it is not - it is just a good healthy, frothy lager. It pretends to be nothing else.

Blueberry is an understatement. The taste itself is sweet like blueberries right off the vine. It helps me recall an earlier day when beer was made from the ingredients that one found locally. It has no bad aftertaste and is truly a delicious brew.

Those who find this beer a bad option must be stuck in the mindset that beer must taste one way and one way only....but Wild Blue stands on its' own. The only surprising thing about Wild Blue is that it is made by those who bring us Budweiser. Will it hold up through the transition period to new ownership? I do not know - but if it does - then maybe reviewers who skewered this unique brew will be able to revisit and maybe change their minds.

06-18-2009 13:54:52 | More by TexSpence
tj4288

4.28/5  rDev +99.1%

poured from bottle into weizen glass

a- pours with fairly thin body, a clear dark purple/pink with hints of ruby. which i think is a beautiful color. a good 2-3 finger soda pop-like head, that recedes to a thin covering that hangs around the whole time leaving decent lacing. this color is very different and very interesting, people will wonder what the hell you are drinking.

s- um.... blue berry. a very natural, fresh smelling blueberry, and possibly other berries. also i think i am getting red grape notes in the nose also. the alcochol is kinda strong but the overall sweetness of the beer masks the smell fairly well.

t- strong sweet blueberry syrup like taste from begining to finish. there is also notes in the back of the palate that i am interpreting as dark fruits. you can pick up the strong alcochol if you think about it, but again, it is masked very well by the overall sweetness. grape soda. this taste reminds me of grandmas fresh blueberry pancakes. il be honest i am not picking up much other than the berries and fruit. not very complex. just fruity, but enjoyable.

m- medium body. medium/ light carbonation. feels like a very sweet wine on the tongue, like a lambrusco. or slightly flat grape soda.

d- average price, slightly better than average taste and excellent drinkability. my girlfriend is not a huge beer drinker and she also enjoyed this one. its a "fruit/ vegitable beer" so it is pretty typically a girlie drink. i dont know how often i would go out of my way for this beer but i will definately be buying it for her again.

06-18-2009 00:49:53 | More by tj4288
lweaver18240

2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

Split a sixer of wild blue with a friend the other day since he was raving about it.

A-Drank from the bottle (very entertaining cover art) but trickled some into a glass as I was curious to see the color. Purple...not very attractive.

S-The smell is a bit noxious...1/3 beer, 1/3 blueberry syrup, 1/3 rubbing alchohol.

T-I have mixed feelings about the taste. Overall it was somewhat enjoyable. It certainly isn't a good tasting beer, and it certainly isn't a good fruit drink, yet somehow I found it enjoyable. Odd...

M- Very much like soda...fizzy.

D- I wouldn't mind having a few for a change in pace, but I must say I was glad to have some PBR to wash it down and cleanse the palate.

Definately not something I'd drink regularly, but I would drink it again. More of a novelty drink with an 8 percent ABV.

06-16-2009 06:40:13 | More by lweaver18240
srrn

1.25/5  rDev -41.9%

Ok, it was dark, hot and I just wanted a beer. I grabbed one and slammed it back. Then I thought I'd take my time, and the second was not cold as ice could make it. Sickly medicinal off taste. But I perservered it was hot and I really wanted a beer, this was all that was left backstage. Then I got hit with a buzz, I got in the light and read 8percent ABV. So not only is it not good, but it's outright dangerous if you're looking for relief from the heat in a cold icy 4 percenter. Not that you'd ever want to session this crap anyway.

06-14-2009 20:29:25 | More by srrn
Onenote81

Grabbed a bottle of this not knowing this was brewed by A-B. My wife likes fruity beers so I thought I'd grab this one.

Pours a bright red like cranberry juice with an inch's worth of pink head. Seriously, this was pink. I was not expecting the color to be this 'fruity.' Smells like blueberry pancakes, candy, and tart fruits.

Mouthfeel was decent with a respectable amount of carbonation that made it pleasing to drink. Flavor was all fruit. I couldn't even sense the alcohol. I really thought this was fruit juice mixed with club soda. Nothing about this flavor tells me it's a beer. Very sweet and fruity. This was very different. Won't get it again.

06-14-2009 18:41:32 | More by Onenote81
Metalmonk

2.3/5  rDev +7%

Yeah, Blue Dawg from Baldwinsville, NY, my favorite craft brewer! Nah, the only thing "craft" about this beer is how crafty A-B tried to be in disguising Wild Blue in small-brewer trappings. Whether you're a corporate giant or a homebrewer, shouldn't a good beer stand on its own merits without all the smoke and mirrors?

Apperance screams ALCO-POP with a not very natural-looking purple/violet body under a fizzy, short-lived pink head. I'm trying to fool myself into thinking this is a lambic. No dice. I dig weird beers, but the looks of this one don't really convince.

My nose was two feet from the bottle when I popped the cap, and the blueberry scent wafted over to where I was. How nice of it to do that. Upon closer inspection I get -- blueberry! The considerable 8% alcohol doesn't really come through in the nose, although there is a vinous quality (ie. cheap wine) that suggests fermented grapes.

The blueberry flavor has a tweak of grape baby aspirin, and the 8% alcohol comes through strong enough to mess up things even further. This just isn't the kind of beer where you want some alcohol warmth, is it? A stronger alcohol presence underscores and sometimes magnifies the flavors, but there's just not enough good stuff going on here to make that desirable. Some lemonade pucker to the finish, and lightly tart, like unripe grapes.

Mouthfeel? At this point it doesn't really matter, but I didn't find anything offensive about it. A bit fizzy, but also has a nice stick that I found likable. But, hard to anything but apathetic at this stage of the experience.

So...where's the lager? This just tastes like alcohol-infused grape/blueberry juice concentrate. I had an alco-pop once, can't quite remember the name, maybe Lizard-something-or-other--it's pretty sad that Wild Blue isn't quite as "good" as that. Had the flavor come through, all other aspects of this beer could be forgiven, but it doesn't perform that well, and I'm pretty sure I was an idiot for buying a six-pack. Too bad my wife has decent taste in beer and that my friends are smarter than I am--makes it hard to get rid of the other 5 bottles. Or maybe I'll experiment with thickening it up for a pancake topping. Or...uh...hey, anybody wanna trade?

06-11-2009 22:00:47 | More by Metalmonk
SuperSpy

Georgia

1.18/5  rDev -45.1%

Drank from the bottle. Poured some into a small glass just to get a good idea of the appearance.

The "beer" looks like a mix of grape juice and blue-raspberry kool-aid. The chemically purple head makes a fairly impressive appearance but dies off almost as quickly as it forms.

This smells like a blueberry, bubblegum cough syrup. There is a faint hint of alcohol but nothing else that would suggest this is a beer.

The first sip made me cringe. The initial taste of this medium bodied beverage is not just artificial but medicinal. It honestly tastes like someone took the cheapest malt liquor they could find and then poured all the blueberry flavored syrup they could get into this. This is honestly god awful.

06-01-2009 23:26:30 | More by SuperSpy