Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Wild BlueWild Blue

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 577 | Hads: 1,488
4.32/5  rDev +96.4%

12 oz. bottle which says nothing about being an A-B product, which I always resent - not that it's A-B, that they mask it with BS shell breweries. Poured into my Yuengling pils glass, Wild Blue is a chill-hazed purple, like the blueberry juice it's made with, forming a small, quickly fleeting violet head that leaves very light lace. I like the color.

Smell is sweet and berries. This reminds me a lot of St Ides fruit malt liquors, Special Brews I think they were called, although with more natural blueberry, which I like.

Taste is the same, lots of blueberry, which is what I expected when I bought it. Not quite as cloying as malt liquor though, sweet and berry for sure, with some grain in the background, and the ABV is well hidden. For what it is, a strong fruit beer, it's well done, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is slightly crisp, and much lighter bodied then I expected from the look and smell.

Drinkability was surprisingly high, this is not to heavy, the booze is well hidden, and the blueberry flavor is strong and pure. The label says it's made with all natural ingredients, if that means just grain, sugar and berries, then I'm impressed. I recognize it's not for everyone, and really doesn't even taste like beer. But it's pretty clear from the label what your buying (aside from who makes it), and it far surpassed my expectations in that regard. I was surprised how I kept having to bump up the scores. Still, at the end of the day, this isn't my style, and I'll probably never bother having it again. Quite the panty dropper for the sorostitues I'm sure! (1,575 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +94.5%

poured from bottle into weizen glass

a- pours with fairly thin body, a clear dark purple/pink with hints of ruby. which i think is a beautiful color. a good 2-3 finger soda pop-like head, that recedes to a thin covering that hangs around the whole time leaving decent lacing. this color is very different and very interesting, people will wonder what the hell you are drinking.

s- um.... blue berry. a very natural, fresh smelling blueberry, and possibly other berries. also i think i am getting red grape notes in the nose also. the alcochol is kinda strong but the overall sweetness of the beer masks the smell fairly well.

t- strong sweet blueberry syrup like taste from begining to finish. there is also notes in the back of the palate that i am interpreting as dark fruits. you can pick up the strong alcochol if you think about it, but again, it is masked very well by the overall sweetness. grape soda. this taste reminds me of grandmas fresh blueberry pancakes. il be honest i am not picking up much other than the berries and fruit. not very complex. just fruity, but enjoyable.

m- medium body. medium/ light carbonation. feels like a very sweet wine on the tongue, like a lambrusco. or slightly flat grape soda.

d- average price, slightly better than average taste and excellent drinkability. my girlfriend is not a huge beer drinker and she also enjoyed this one. its a "fruit/ vegitable beer" so it is pretty typically a girlie drink. i dont know how often i would go out of my way for this beer but i will definately be buying it for her again. (1,565 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +87.7%

I can understand why some hard core purists would dislike this beer. It's sweet and does remind you of a grape soda. But I liked it. My wife LOVED it! At 8% it has a nice kick and I get to enjoy the taste of blueberries. (220 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +86.8%

I was actually afraid to try this beer after reading so many bad reviews of it. I imagined it as "thick" and "syrupy". Descriptions made it sound horrible. I finally read a quote of someone saying it was like "between a beer and a wine". That intrigued me because I love wine. I love blueberries. I ignored the bad reviews and took the plunge. I LOVE this beer! It is different! It does have a sweetnesss to it, but it is not the thick syrupy taste, just a light sweet flavor. It does remind me of a wine more than a beer. The flavor is pleasing, light, with a fruitiness that tastes good. Unlike most beers, it has a pretty color of what you would expect from a blueberry beverage, a definite purple. It has a two finger head that does dissipate. Although I resisted even sampling this beer, it has become my favorite! I am wondering since it actually is made from blueberry juice, if any of the healthy anthocyanins remain in the beer? If so, it would be a health beverage as well as just an enjoyable one. (1,008 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +85.9%

I guess I am the only person in the world that loves this beer. A friend of mine picked up a couple to try and I was instantly surprised by this beer. It is very sweet and smooth and refreshing. It tastes nothing like a pint of water that burnt wood chips have been steeping in like some beers, but also has the thick feel of a good craft stout. This beer to me is what a refreshing beer should taste like. (406 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +84.1%

I liked this beer. I've been trying a lot of fruity beers, and I'll put this one right up there.

Pours with little head and no lacing. Looks like red wine. Obvious smell of berries in the nose.

Has a carbonated fruit juice feel in the mouth, with a bit of berry in the finish and a touch of bite in the aftertaste to let you know it means business with its 8.0% alchohol content.

Yeah, it's from Anheuser-Busch, but I can't wait to have another. (448 characters)

I guess Im in the overwhelming minority here, but oh well.

I found this to be quite different, but nonetheless, very much enjoy this beer.

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. Color is purple, with a decent head. Left a decent lacing on my glass.

I thought I was drinking a blueberry wine, if there is such a thing. However, I did taste sweet malt, that finished with a faint bit of hops, that balanced it nicely.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and would recommend giving it a try.

Cheeers!!! (502 characters)

Color: burgundy

Smell: little bit of alcohol. blueberry of course

Taste: obvious blueberry - not overwhelming or too sweet/rich. its a lager so its clean and crisp

Mouthfeel: like a sparkling juice with low carbonation. clean and crisp. light body

Notes: very unique. i know that this one is a hit or miss. its not bad but i dont think i could drink too many at once, unless me and a buddy took a case camping up in canada a handful of years ago and it was all we had. great "beer" for those who otherwise dont like the taste of beer (537 characters)

I like this beer, it's sweet and fruity and fun! Consider it a dessert beer or with fruit and cheese. It has a strong blueberry taste and a heavy feel. The 8% alcohol content gives you a nice fuzzy feeling all over! This is a good alternative to have on hand for the wine drinkers at your next beer bash. (304 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +80.9%

This is a new category for beer and I think it is very good and Drinkable. Obvious not something I expected from AB but they do surprise you all the time. A lot of reviews on this beer are more anti AB then they are true reviews of the beer. So I am disappointed that the self proclaimed "beer gurus" cannot give a neutral beer review. If this was made by New Belgium it would be the greatest beer ever made. YOu know who you are the ones that feel insulted right now as you read this. Great job AB you did it again. (516 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +80.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I hate to say this but it was actually good. Not sure why the ratings are so bad.

Now, my secret. Pour it in a 22 oz glass and add blueberries. It's delicious!

AS others will say. It doesn't look like beer.

Apparently, it is actually beer:

I would love to have this with some sort of strawberry pie. It would be awesome. Seriously though. THere are seddert wines, why not dessert beers? (467 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +79.5%

From a brown 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty blue/voilet color with a small head. Has a strong smell of sweet blueberries. Taste just like it smells. Sweet and fruity. Feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall I was pleasently surprised. This is a quality brew. (277 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +74.1%

Sweet and crisp, drank straight from the bottle. It was very blue/purple, and claims to have juice, which leads me to want it to be considered a shandy. I don't know if there is any beer rules that say it can't be a shandy, but it was too sweet for me to call a lager. Great beer to get drunk on, being 8% and tasting like lightly carbonated juice. No bitter flavors during or after conumption. Don't let the kids near it. (422 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +71.4%

Appearance - dark bluish purple with no head.

Smell - fruity, blue berries and wheat.

Taste - if you buy I blueberry beer, you must be expecting to taste blueberries and beer...that is this. Not too bad.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - don't really like fruit beers, this isn't a terrible offering. I think it gets low ratings just because its Busch. (352 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +70.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a six of this one on my way to a quantity over quality night and the selection at the store I stopped at was very limited. Very interesting looking beer, dark in appearance with a light purplish head, I guess what you would expect from a blueberry beer. Smell is an interesting mix of blueberry and beer. Outstanding flavor, I enjoyed this beer very much, plus, it was very easy to drink which was surprising for an 8% beer, this gives it bonus points overall. And it was very reasonably priced. Not sure it is exactly a beer, more of a fruit cider, malt beverage, beer mix with blueberry juice, but I found it very tasty. Overall, not really a beer, but I enjoyed it and would buy again, just don't go into it looking for a beer. (740 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +70.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wild Blue Lager has a medium, fizzy, pink head, which maintains itself much longer that one would expect, a clear, ruby-red, bubbly appearance, and splotchy lacing. Aroma is of grainy, pungent lager beer and acidic blueberry juice. Taste is the same, with essentially no noticeable bitterness, but definite fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, and filling, and Wild Blue Lager finishes wet, sweet, and heavy. Not a beer for me, but still well-crafted and executed.

RJT (475 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +70.5%

I received this for free and I thought it was quite good. Not like a normal lager and the feel of the beer was a lot like soda. It had an immediate beer taste to it then you can taste the blueberry which in my opinion tasted a lot like a bacardi drink. (252 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +70.5%

What can I say? I like blueberry.
Wild Blue is one of the better fruit-flavored beers that I've had and will get you where you're going--if you aren't going too far. (166 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +70%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a dark purple color and poured a big pink head. Very strange for sure. The head however did not last long. Lacing was good. The smell was great, very berry for sure. However it was a very dry beer I thought. Not bad for an odd-ball beer.I would drink again though mostly just to freak people out. (367 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +69.1%

As a non-beer drinker, this isn't bad. tastes like blueberries, with little bitterness, just some sweetness

8% alc gets you hit hard and fast compaired to what non-beer drinkers usually have to deal with, at 4-5 % alc.

tastes closer to a mixed drink or wine cooler, but i don't mind, its still good. (301 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Despite the hating here, this was tasty as heck. Pours _blue_ with a finger of _blue_ head, which both retains and laces. Aroma is blueberry. Taste is blueberry. Lack of booziness at 8% is fantastic and sweetness is nice. Girly or not, this stuff is fantastic. (260 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +68.2%

Wow, what is this? Juice or beer?

Its almost like a lambic but too syrupy..
Anyway, it poured a purple/ blue color with no head. Smelled of sweet concentrated fruit. Tasted the same, like a mouthful of blueberry pie filling. It was very sweet but not too much to handle. I could have gone for another and the 8% is a plus, considering you can't taste any of it. (362 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +67.3%

This is a great summer drink, not convinced if you can call it a beer though. This beer has a color like no other, the dark purple almost makes it look more like juice. There is so much blueberry taste to this beer, it tastes more like a mixed drink than a beer. On a hot Saturday fishing or golfing this is definitely the six pack i'm bringing. For about $7 a six pack it has great flavor and at 8% abv you might regret it in the morning. (439 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +67.3%

Let me start by admitting that I don't have a talented palate for beer, nor have I studied what critics say a "good" beer should be. That being said, I found this beer to be rather unoffensive compared to other high-ABV, cheap beers.

The alcohol content and relatively low price-point of this beer put it in the class of a Mike's Harder Lemonade, but the taste is not as sweet, nor is the alcohol as pronounced. The appearance and smell go along with what one would expect from a blueberry-brew. At first I was hesitant since this beer smells alarmingly like something that would come out of a can of Mike's, but don't be deceived. It's nowhere near as alarmingly nauseating or sweet as that foul malt concoction.

There's no lasting head, it pours with a deceivingly low amount of bubbles. This beer has two primary landmarks when it comes to taste, blueberry and carbonation. The sweetness and fruit-tones of blueberry mixed with a heavy carbonation and the familiar slightly-dusky aftertaste of a carbonated soda are the primary players here.

On the whole I would say this is a very drinkable and effective brew for someone who shies away from the higher IBU beers like IPAs. As long as you realize that this is a beer which tastes more like a fruit-soda than a craft-beer you won't be disappointed. (1,306 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +66.4%

I guess I am in the minority but I found Wild Blue refreshing & look forward to popping a few open when the Summer heat arrives.

For me it's not a beer so there is no point in my trying to act all beer snobby about Wild Blue. It is something more along the lines of a Zima, a blueberry Zima. It's purple, it's fizzy, it's fruity tasting, & it's carbonated. I will enjoy Wild Blue when the weather heats up a bit as in the Summer I am not always looking for a heavy beer when it 98° outside. This fruity concoction with an 8% kick will fit the bill for me & the price is fairly reasonable too. (594 characters)

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch