Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +115.9%

I love this beer. The taste is almost wine smooth but with a lot of kick. I will be trying the Wild Red today. This is not a beer for people who like the Coors, Budweiser, Miller type beers. This is for people who love different flavors and tastes. I am not a national brand beer drinker. I actually love the different type of beers/ ales a lot more, more variety in tastes, smell and texture.

4.65/5  rDev +111.4%

This beer has a smooth blue berry flavor. It smells really good, it is not heavy it kind of has a malt taste. At least I think it does. It is a great beer for no matter what time of the year. It is a beer that I like to come home sit back and relax and enjoy after a long hard day at work. I definitely would recommend this beer to friends and family.

4.65/5  rDev +111.4%

First off this is a kind of beer that is like a glass of wine. If you don't like wine chances are you will probably not like Wild Blue. I like wine a lot so this beer appealed to me.

It is very very sweet and a nice change of pace. Really taste like blueberry or grape juice. I know that probably doesn't appeal to a lot of beer drinkers, but it is a nice beer to have a couple glasses on a winter night or even summer night.

Kind of shocked to see all the negative reviews for this beer, but it is probably more like a sweet glass of wine. Has an ALC. content of 8% so you got to love that :)

4.6/5  rDev +109.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Loved this fruity beer since I first discovered it two years ago. It helped me remodel my house! Once ice cold, it's pure bliss on a hot summer day. I used to drink wine, but stopped due to acid and heartburn. I often see people disliking this type of beer - mainly people who drink stuff like Bud, Coors, etc., which makes sense. I don't drink grocery store beers, and love the rich, fruit flavor and 8% alcohol level, which gets me where i need to be on two beers, instead of eight, and keeps me from having a beer gut the size of Texas!

4.6/5  rDev +109.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To start off, I'm an IPA drinker, yet occasionally I like a good Kool-Aid beer. This is definitely a Kool-Aid beer. I will down a quick sweet Leinie's Berry Weiss on occasion and love it, so this was up my alley.

Whoa, hits me like a ton-o bricks when I drink it as fast, since it's 8%. Wow. This really shouldn't be ranked with other beers since it's almost a "malt beverage" but I liked it. I liked it a lot. I'm almost embarrassed to say I did, but I did. It reminds me of the blueberry Eggos I had with my five year old this morning. LOL

The beer itself is sweet. Pouring it I found a beer that is the same hue as wine, of all things--a purple rarely found in beer. The head disappeared almost immediately. The aroma reminds me of IHOP on a Sunday morning and I've just poured a healthy portion of blueberry syrup over my short stack of hotcakes. It also reminds me of the aforementioned Leinie's Berry Weiss. I don't get an unpleasant artificially sweet aftertaste, which was pleasing.

This might be really appreciated by people who grew up on "Grape Drink" (Dave Chapelle?) or who cannot tolerate the bitterness of a good brew. You'll probably love it if you like like fruity beers. I did. But since I like bitter DIPA's regularly, I can't get over how good this beer is. I just wonder what a Bell's Hopslam would taste like after one of these?

4.56/5  rDev +107.3%

4.56/5  rDev +107.3%

4.5/5  rDev +104.5%

this is the best blueberry beer i've had. my blueberry kick started when i went to maine this past oct 2009. i had seadog and national harbour. every bar in maine practically served blueberry beer. when you get it on draft, they put blueberries in it and they dance around like a lava lamp. this is definitely the best blueberry beer i'd had (had at least 6). it holds it's taste to the very end of the bottle. i got a few cases from sneiders for $30 case. they also sell it at yes, organic for $7.50 a six pack. they now are serving it at commissary restaurant at $5 /bottle. it's very popular here in DC. oh..did i mention it's 8.0% etoh! 2 beers and you'll be done! or not!

4.5/5  rDev +104.5%

I don't understand the hate on this beer . It's an 8% blueberry beer .
It is very sweet and that's why I didn't rate it a 5. I usually don't like fruity beer but this
I love . I also heard that the UFO raspberry is another good one and that's
Going to be my next beer . If you want any blueberry beer ,
This is what you're gonna want !

4.5/5  rDev +104.5%

I think people on here are being absolutely unfair to this beer. Yes, I can see why you might say this is not a real beer. However, why do Lindeman's Framboise and Kriek get better reviews then? Because they weren't brewed under Anheuser Busch? Wild Blue has the same fruity color, same sweetness, same lack of similarity with "real beers" as the Lindeman's lambics. The only difference is that Wild Blue has a significantly higher alcohol content than Lindeman's which is masked very well.
Another thing people bring up that's unfair to Wild Blue in these reviews is how they label it as "completely artificial" when that's actually not true at all. Wild Blue is made with real, natural blueberries. I realize that this beer is extremely sweet which is why it does not get 5 stars from me. I can only drink one Wild Blue in a night. I do appreciate coming across something that's completely different though. Bottom line is that this beer should not be rated lower than Keystone Light.

By the way, at first I thought Wild Blue was brewed by Flying Dog because of the artwork and font on the bottle and pack.

4.5/5  rDev +104.5%

You guys are a bunch of girls. A beer drinker will review what he senses, not "I gotta tow the line cause other people hate it" re-hash. Give me a break. Review the beer for what it is, not what you read. Beer snobs abound. Don't fall victim!

I love hoppy beers! My favorite beer is Bells "Two Hearted Ale" a nice American IPA (which is highly rated BTW). I also like a nice flavored beer every now and then and Wild Blue fits the pint.

My review:

WILD BLUE? Do I EXPECT a BLUE beer? Why yes I do. Do I expect it to taste like blueberries? Why not, it's on the label!

Appearance (A) Poured into a chilled pint - Nice purple color- just like blueberries. Slight creamy purplish foam head. Cool!

Smell - Surprise.... Blueberry. Hops? ... Uh, no. Malt? ... I don't think so. Did you say blueberry? Why yes, it smells an awful bit like blueberry! And yes it has a nice sweet BLUEBERRY smell.

Taste - Surprise again .... Blueberry, oh yes, blueberry. WOW! I like it. Then again. I love the taste of blueberries. This beer is just too easy to drink and at 8% it's easy to feel! Oh yes.

Mouthfeel - About average. Not too thick and not too thin. As Papa Bear might put it "Just Right" for a fruit beer.

Drinkability - OMG swill away. This lager is way to good to contain alcohol. It's almost like juice or soda. If you close your eyes and drink it, 3 bottles will be gone in an instant.

Did you drink enough Wild Blue to give it a review? Well then, review it

My score 4.0!

4.48/5  rDev +103.6%

4.47/5  rDev +103.2%

Wow, I wish I could write a review of this beer that would adjust it's status in the rankings! I think this is one of the best flavored beers I've ever had and it doesn't deserve this low position! Perhaps poured into a glass the color of this beer seems artificial. I had it from the bottle and never noticed that it was magenta. But the flavor was what struck me. I've had other fruity beers--even microbrews...raspberry, pumpkin, apricot ales, and lambic--but this lager maintains a true beer hoppy character, with the punch of real blueberry tang. I loved it. I didn't know the company is now Anheuser-Busch, not "Bluedawg Breweries". Still, I like the cute designer label. I loved the flavor, and found this highly quaffable, and definitely misrepresented here! Give it a chance; it's great!

appearance: okay, this does not look like a true beer. the huge foamy head is fun though, and so is the blueberry color! lambics look similar.

the smell: is mostly blueberry, which I love.
although there is a trace of true hops as well.

the taste: for me is what sells this beer. the dry hops are discernable, but trace. Yet this is definitely a beer, and not a lambic. And for me, blueberry is a drier flavor than raspberry or apricot. This is a delicious drink on it's own. Or something you'd take to a summer concert or a picnic. No residual aftertaste, and goes well with sandwhiches and light snacks.

the mouthfeel is exceptional in that it's carbonation is very tight, and clear. there is little beer hops aftertaste.

This is a highly drinkable beverage in my eyes. It does go down very quickly. I found the high alcohol volume a little surreptious and is something to be wary of...The flavor is easily the best selling point, but the 8.0% abv in this beverage does pack a kick.

4.44/5  rDev +101.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The low ratings don’t surprise me as this is a maligned style of beer on this site, but this is a very tasty drink. Has a dark purple color with a pinkish head, reminiscent of a blueberry. Smell and taste is sweet blueberry fruit. No hint of alcohol. Smooth and deceptively strong. Delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +99.1%

If you have tried Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss and didn't like it, don't try Wild Blue. Otherwise, you definitely want to try this beer.
I was shocked at the bad reviews this beer received. It has great malt and hops flavors with a really pure blueberry flavor. I thought that this was a very well made beer.

4.36/5  rDev +98.2%

4.33/5  rDev +96.8%

12 oz. bottle which says nothing about being an A-B product, which I always resent - not that it's A-B, that they mask it with BS shell breweries. Poured into my Yuengling pils glass, Wild Blue is a chill-hazed purple, like the blueberry juice it's made with, forming a small, quickly fleeting violet head that leaves very light lace. I like the color.

Smell is sweet and berries. This reminds me a lot of St Ides fruit malt liquors, Special Brews I think they were called, although with more natural blueberry, which I like.

Taste is the same, lots of blueberry, which is what I expected when I bought it. Not quite as cloying as malt liquor though, sweet and berry for sure, with some grain in the background, and the ABV is well hidden. For what it is, a strong fruit beer, it's well done, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is slightly crisp, and much lighter bodied then I expected from the look and smell.

Drinkability was surprisingly high, this is not to heavy, the booze is well hidden, and the blueberry flavor is strong and pure. The label says it's made with all natural ingredients, if that means just grain, sugar and berries, then I'm impressed. I recognize it's not for everyone, and really doesn't even taste like beer. But it's pretty clear from the label what your buying (aside from who makes it), and it far surpassed my expectations in that regard. I was surprised how I kept having to bump up the scores. Still, at the end of the day, this isn't my style, and I'll probably never bother having it again. Quite the panty dropper for the sorostitues I'm sure!

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch