Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 572 | Hads: 1,479
1.33/5  rDev -39.3%

Well I was in an Autumn fruity-beer mood and picked this up on impulse. I had no idea this was an A/B product and could not tell from the label. Said some company in New York.

When I cracked the first top it exuded an overpowering artificial blueberry smell. Then went downhill.

Appearance - Very colorful, like reddish grape soda.

Smell - Overpowering, overwhelming, artificial blueberry smell.

Taste - See smell above. Very sweet, artificial. Industrial Blueberry for sure. Heavy and sweet, with raw yeast undertones.

Mouthfeel - Actually could not get around to thinking about that, but as best as I could describe would be a fizzy berry soda pop with a shot of Everclear and some corn syrup added.

Drinkability - High ABV is it's only redeeming feature, kind of like a vintage Thunderbird.

Given a blind sample of this and asked to describe it, I doubt I would have used the word beer in the first few sentences. It bears no resemblance to beer. Nor anything else I would intentionally drink again for that matter.

A friend and I drank one apiece and I let him take the 4 remainders home. He thought he could throw one at a time into large pitchers of Sangria and nobody would notice. He also thought he could put a double shot of cough elixer into a glass of this stuff and sleep through the initial stages of flu.

In any case, it is a truly unique (bizarre) beverage, that I can't imagine anyone would enjoy. The cheapest wine cooler is succulent compared to this, but maybe the 8% ABV does it for some people. (1,525 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -39.3%

A: Brownish purple with a purple-tan head. Feel like its rare that a beer should justifiably look like this.
S: Meh. Smells like blueberries but fabricated--more of blueberry favoring or syrup.
T: Pretty unpleasant. Tastes like a Miller Lite poorly mixed with blueberry syrup. A Miller Lite in itself would be doable, but mixing that with the overly sweet blueberry just isn't enjoyable.
M: Nothing special; high carbonation and pretty thin.
D: First beer at a New Years party--since no one else would drink it I decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the first few sips before having to move on to something else. (637 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - An odd purple brown color. One finger head with no retention.

S - Umm well what little there is is somewhat sweet but honestly its not much.

T - Grape Nehi come to mind? Sweet. Is this beer? Tastes like someone poured a blueberry sauce into water.

M - Thin. Weird sweetness left behind making me long for water.

O - Bad. Really bad. Try it just to make me feel better please. Share the pain. (453 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -39.3%

So this bottle has been skulking around in my buddy’s fridge for a couple months now and what do you know, it’s there tonight! So time for a review, I guess. I can’t tell what the date is. I think it is expired but everyone knows this beer ages with the best of ‘em.

12oz bottle to a pint glass, probably still too classy. Pours to a surprising 2½ inch head, with a purple tint, that hangs on for a while, actually, and eventually recedes to nothing leaving sparse lacing. Color is the same as grape juice but a bit darker purple and cloudier.

I expected the aroma to be stronger but it is like blueberries sitting in water and grape cough medicine. Ok, so I let this “beer” sit for a good ten minutes, as I was pretty scared to drink it. The taste is about the furthest thing from beer I’ve had since breast milk. Grape soda, wine coolers, more cough medicine and maybe a slight blueberry syrup taste, and amazingly it gets worse as it warms as the 8% presents itself. I couldn’t come close to finishing it. Grossly over carbonated, damn close to soda with smaller bubbles. Body virtually identical to Smirnoff Ices. Worst beer I've had or ever will have? Probably.

Overall, this beer lives up to the hype. I never thought I would get a shot at this rarity, so big shout out to the douchebags that brought this to one of my friend's parties and forgot one in the fridge, thanks guys. (1,404 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -39.7%

A: Ruby red and purple body. Very pink, almost dark pink, head. Holds well and leaves some nice lace.
S: The nose is delicately fruity. Like a small bowl of fresh crushed berries, more raspberry than blueberry.
T: The flavor is all juice, bright and tart. Like "Juicy-Juice"; and again, more raspberry than blueberry. No signs of malt or hops except for hints in the lingering, mostly berry-ish finish. Steady underlying bitterness. Some alcohol becomes apparent halfway through. One-sided except for the underlying alcohol.
M: Medium bodied. Dextrinous edge. Delicately bristling carbonation.
D: Well, I'm not even sure you can call this beer. Not really. It's like a fruity malternative on steroids... the beer equivalent of Boone's Farm. Drinkable? Well, yes, but why not just add some grain alcohol to fruit juice? (822 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours out like a mix of grape and red Koolaid. Tiny head that leaves some spots of "lace." Has an odd artificial blueberry thing going on. I've had other blueberry beers and they actually smelled like real blueberries. Go figure. Not much else is going on. A little alcohol maybe. Wow, what a taste. Artificial sweetness and artificial fruit flavor (reminiscent of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss) dominating with some rancid graininess underneath. Finish and aftertaste taste exactly like Dimetapp. Really disgusting. Also there's some booziness. Mouthfeel has the slick and thick feel of a malt liquor with a stickiness from the sweetness here. Terrible. (650 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -39.7%

OMG this stuff is just nasty! had this a while back but can still remember the nasty taste. taste is grain alcohol mixed with overripe blueberry juice. looks like something grandma would drink when she gets backed up( you know what i mean) sweet with no carbanation at all.
Avoid at all costs! (293 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -40.2%

I bought one bottle thinking that this might be the fruit beer to have gotten the balance right. The beer consultant said it was one of the higher selling blueberry beers (He never said it was good and had never had it before.). After suffering through half the bottle, I gave up, poured it down the sink, and washed my mouth with a Tripel Karmeliet. I sincerely think this is the only beer that is offensive to all five senses.

Appearance: A light syrupy purple that eventually turned into a grape soda kind of purple. I poured this in the dark while watching Inception, so I couldn't tell what color it was when I poured into my glass. When I poured it down the sink, I could see hints of red. Similar to a red wine, which is a problem when you're drinking a beer. Believe it or not, this is the highlight of the beer. Frankly, I've seen better appearances on other fruit beers such as the Hell or Watermelon and the Blueberry point.

Smell: You know the smell of a freshly used bathroom? You know, the heavy presence of a foul odor that makes you want to gag. That is what it reminded of. The overtly, heavy aroma of an artificial sweet that no fruit beer should ever attain or human ever smell or at least the sort of sweet that should tingle your spidey senses that something is wrong. Because I need substance, my problem was with the smell being too heavy and with too much presence that it overran my poor nose.

Taste: Sweeet. Syrupy. Blueberry syrupy. Heavily reminiscent of the smell. I'm not a fan of really sweet but I can tell and respect it when it is done correctly in a Barley Wine. It was not done correctly for this beer. The sweet wasn't even so bad it's good kind of way like the Leinenkugel Berry Weiss (the Manos Hands of Fate beer).

Mouthfeel: Heavy. Syrupy.

Drinkability: No. Not unless you feel pulling a gag on someone. Overall, syrupy. The main factor in every category is syrup. While I love huge doses on my pancakes, I do not like them in my beer.
I take back about the beer being offensive to all five senses. It was very pleasing to hear the beer pouring down the drain.

Since I love challenges, I am going to try to say something positive about this beer. I like that ABusch is trying new things to capture the craft market and that this beer did not suffer from the usual trap (It suffered from other things.) of watery mouthfeel. I think the idea of a sweet Blueberry beer isn't too bad but the execution needs to be better. (2,465 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

Appearance: clear, blueish-purple in color, 1/4 inch head, minimal carbonation

Smell: sour blueberries and grape juice

Taste: spoiled grape juice, alcohol, some hops, and artificial blueberry

Mouthfeel: high carbonation--fizzy, light body, sticky sweet with a sour middle

Drinkability: This tastes like spolied grape juice with maybe a bit of children's medicine. Overly harsh and sour, this was hard to finish. One and done and just a step above Cave Creek Chili as my least favorite beer. (494 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

Ugh, where to begin? I had an unfortunate run in with this beer while making a custom mix pack from my local store which has a nice selection of singles. Fortunately I only got one.

A: Sickly artificial purple color.

S: Similar to appearance, it smells like some sort of artificial blueberry soda.

T: Horrid, I chocked down half a glass before I gave up. Overly sweet, bitter, unbalanced, artificial, medicinal flavor.

M: Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I stopped at taste.

D: This is the complete opposite of drinkability.

My only drain pour to date. Avoid at all costs. I wasn't aware this was an AB product when purchasing. I saw fruit and 8% ABV and assumed either Lambic or at least some interesting experiment. This is malt liquor with a heap of bottom rung artificial blueberry flavoring.

Kudos to those few that love this concoction. You must have iron-clad willpower to make it through an entire glass. (917 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

This was awful. Just terrible. I haven't experienced a drain pour until now, and I've had some brews that I really didn't like very much.

Pours a weird, deep purple color with a pure pink head that had almost no retention but left some lacing down the glass. The lacing was decent, but I couldn't bring myself to up the appearance rating given the awful color of the body and the head.

Smells like blueberry. artificial, overpowering, and completely unpleasant blueberry. Can only get a hint of a flavor from the actualy lager it apparently originated as.

Taste follows suit with the smell, but a tiny bit worse. The blueberry is equally as powerful, but tastes even more artificial than it smells. Also mixes horribly with the malty flavor of the original, presumably also awful, lager. really bad.

I had just finished a sea dog blueberry wheat beer, which I thought was decent, so I figured I'd give this one a shot. What a mistake. drain pour. (950 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

There is nothing about this whatsoever that said "beer" to me, other than the fact that it's called a lager.

A: Grape soda.

S: some sort of mixed berry soda.

T: Third time's a charm: soda. There wasn't anything about this that tasted like a beer. Extraordinarily sweet and somewhat syrupy.

M: Sticky. Is that a way to describe mouthfeel? I mean, it just felt...sticky.

D: It looks, smells, and tastes nothing like a beer. Incredibly sweet, almost medicinal.

I hate to review a beer like this, but...it just bore so little resemblance to such a well respected beverage that I couldn't bring myself to say anything good about it. (634 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

"What's this Wild Blue Lager," I asked the waitress.
"Well, it's fruity and nobody really orders it."
CHALLENGE
I poured this into a pint glass and, like everyone else, was impressed by how quickly the head dissipated, giving me more ample room to put my lips without fear of destroying a delicate lace. I'd agree with the "pie filling" analogy I've seen on here, as well as the word "malternative." Some have said they found it at least drinkable--I don't believe it. Those people must be smokers with no live tastebuds. This stuff was too nasty to have more than one of (and I had to force the whole thing down).

But what really hurt my feelings was that the bottle doesn't say it's AB. I found that out just now. I thought it was just a cruddy niche-microbrew with one novelty beer, but no, it's a Macro with a front. How depressing. (839 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

This beer does not look, smell, or taste like beer. It is an alcoholic version of Welch's grape soda. If I've ever had a worse beer, I can't remember when. Actually, I hesitate to refer to it as a beer, because it bears no resemblance to real beer. I salute those of you who can stomach this crap, but I would way that if this stuff appeals to you, then you are probably not truly a fan of beer. (395 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

Do you liked Medicine in your beer? Dimetapp perhaps?
Pour this brew into a glass, it is flat, no head, and Too purple.
This is not smooth, it does not taste good and it does not smell good. The only highlight for achieving a finished bottle is the buzz you gain from the 8.0% alcohol level.
Do not buy this beer. Urge your friend to buy the six pack; they'll be eager to give away the others.
One in the crowd suggest that wine drinkers will enjoy this drink? i disagree because of the lack of vicinity. (506 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

No, I will not purchase this beer again. I finished it for the purpose of reviewing, but I found that somewhat difficult.

A- Dark, a muddy purple, carbonation visible as "lacing" at the edge of the glass, but that's a generous description of the "head" of this "beer" - I apologize for my sarcastic quotes, but it's the only way I can channel my feelings toward this drink into constructive words.

S- Blueberries, like a cheap fruit punch.

T- Tangy with big fake-grape notes (think "purple" flavor). Bitter feeling on the tongue battles the candy-sweet flavor of this drink. Poor flavor profile, but it does mask the 8% alcohol extremely well! Kids would love this stuff!

M- Decent carbonation and not too syrupy, considering that this is malt liquor and cheap juice mixed together and given a craft-beer style packaging.

O- Poor. Very poor. A dishonor to the word beer. An excellent choice for getting very drunk if you hate beer but love hangovers.

M- Finely carbonated (982 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

Each time I visit my local package store I sift through the beer so find something new, then I came upon this beer.... Wild Blue. Well given I like Sweetwater Blue, I thought I'd give it a try.

First off it has a screw top... "Uh oh" was my first thought. Next, was the smell from the bottle...I noticed that malt beverage aroma I remembered from broke, "I'll drink anything for cheap..", college days.

The taste is practically Medicinal... Something I'd expect in a grape...oops, blueberry flavored laxitive.

In a nutshell, It's horrible. I'd rather stay sober than drink this crap! (588 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

The color of this stuff was a deep purplish blue that didn't look much like beer to me, more like welch's grape juice

The smell of this is pure artificial blueberry with some alcohol thrown in the mix.

The taste of this wild concoction was a huge artificial blueberry blast with a heavy amount of booze that only became more noticeable after it warmed up.

The mouthfeel of this one was pretty heavy and alcoholic i can't even believe I put down the whole six pack.

Overall this stuff is pure weirdness and I am proud of myself for being able to handle the whole sixer. Never could see myself getting this again as it tastes more like a wine cooler than a beer. (704 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -41.1%

I picked a six pack of this up from the store taking a shot in the dark hoping to find something good. It took about a few nights before I popped one of these bad boys open. Well the bottle says 8% so you know you are getting a heavy hitter. When opening it definitely smells like blueberry and pours out to the equivalent of blueberry juice concentrate's color. Had a moderate amount of carbonation make white head. The first sip seemed like a pleasant sweet surprise. After sip 2 and 3 you realize that this is an incredibly sugary drink. By sips 5 and 6 it is almost unbearable to drink.

This says blueberry lager on the label on the front but on the back says its an ale, so which is it? To me it tastes like it doesn't have hops therefore making it neither and a malt liquor. This product barely resembles beer. It was so sweet I looked up the calorie content only to find it 260 calories per 12 oz. I wonder how many grams of sugar. Def not worth picking this up unless your 16 years old and drinking for the first time. (1,027 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -41.1%

Ok, it was dark, hot and I just wanted a beer. I grabbed one and slammed it back. Then I thought I'd take my time, and the second was not cold as ice could make it. Sickly medicinal off taste. But I perservered it was hot and I really wanted a beer, this was all that was left backstage. Then I got hit with a buzz, I got in the light and read 8percent ABV. So not only is it not good, but it's outright dangerous if you're looking for relief from the heat in a cold icy 4 percenter. Not that you'd ever want to session this crap anyway. (537 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -41.1%

A - poured purplish magenta red with 3/4" pink head from a vigorous pour that left a ring. Very slight lacing. At least the head looked somewhat cool.

S - Blueberry syrup... not blueberries. It smells too fake. Alcohol. Might as well just dump some vodka into blueberry juice.

T - I simply could not finish it. It tasted like blueberry syrup mixed with cough medicine. A medicinal bitterness and high fructose corn syrup also came up. Alcoholic finish.

M - medium/light bodied with medium carbonation. Syrupy stickiness.

D - it's drinkable... if you like Smirnoff malt drinks. The alcohol may catch up to you. I don't know because I couldn't take more than 4 sips.

Overall - Like I said before, it looks cool but that's all it has. This is basically something that Smirnoff should have come up with and maybe then it'll taste better. Otherwise, try it once and forget about it. (883 characters)

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours fuschia with a mild off-pink head with good retention, no lacing, looks a lot like Lindeman's Framboise, pretty cool.

S: Medicinal fake blueberry, light malt.

T: Taste is pretty much artificial blueberry, which would be all right if it went for a Kool-Aid vibe, but it had these notes that reminded me of Red Grape Dimetapp - do you remember this stuff? Just not a good flavour, it had hints of bearability, but in the end it wasn't enjoyable.

M: Starts off solid and lightly viscous, but becomes simple carbonation almost immediately, doesn't hold it's own.

D: If I cared to, I could have forced myself to drink this over an hour or so. But it just sat there in my glass, and I eventually dumped it. (729 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -41.6%

Its been about a month since I had this but I at least wanted to log my memories of it. The best thing about it was the appearance. It had a nice amber color to it. The head seemed moderate with a touch of lacing. Other then that everything else was horrible.

It smelled like candy, syrupy, fake grapes. Almost like cough syrup. And thats exactly how it tasted. It was also very astringent, almost like a malt liquor profile.

Mouthfeel was ok, tingly and fairly light.

I would not say its drinkable on any level. I would much rather have almost any other AB product before this. I bought a 6 pack and drank 1/2 of one bottle, dumped the rest out. This is very rare for me to do!

Overall this is a wasted effort by AB. They have had some decent beers outside of the light lager line but this is not one of them! (815 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours like grape juice...dark purplish-red with just a hint of fizz. Very un-beer-like.
S: Fake blueberry juice aroma.
T: Hmmmm...I'm sensing a pattern here...tastes a lot like grape juice. No hops, no malt, just juice with a faint alcohol background.
M: Very little here...no lingering or maturing taste. As close to no mouthfeel as you can get.
D: OK, I thought this was a beer. Good ol' Anheuser-Busch pulled a fast one (including not having it's name on the bottle!). If you want the beer version of communion wine...this is it. I should have researched this one before buying. Oh well...live and learn. (659 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -42%

Poured a good purple color. Absolutely no head retention at all.

Definitely smelled like blueberry, and that's about it.

Tasted and felt like someone took a blueberry soda and added some vodka to it.

Looks like soda. Tastes like soda. It's alcoholic blueberry soda, not beer. (278 characters)

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch