Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +94.5%

poured from bottle into weizen glass

a- pours with fairly thin body, a clear dark purple/pink with hints of ruby. which i think is a beautiful color. a good 2-3 finger soda pop-like head, that recedes to a thin covering that hangs around the whole time leaving decent lacing. this color is very different and very interesting, people will wonder what the hell you are drinking.

s- um.... blue berry. a very natural, fresh smelling blueberry, and possibly other berries. also i think i am getting red grape notes in the nose also. the alcochol is kinda strong but the overall sweetness of the beer masks the smell fairly well.

t- strong sweet blueberry syrup like taste from begining to finish. there is also notes in the back of the palate that i am interpreting as dark fruits. you can pick up the strong alcochol if you think about it, but again, it is masked very well by the overall sweetness. grape soda. this taste reminds me of grandmas fresh blueberry pancakes. il be honest i am not picking up much other than the berries and fruit. not very complex. just fruity, but enjoyable.

m- medium body. medium/ light carbonation. feels like a very sweet wine on the tongue, like a lambrusco. or slightly flat grape soda.

d- average price, slightly better than average taste and excellent drinkability. my girlfriend is not a huge beer drinker and she also enjoyed this one. its a "fruit/ vegitable beer" so it is pretty typically a girlie drink. i dont know how often i would go out of my way for this beer but i will definately be buying it for her again.

4.18/5  rDev +90%

I was actually afraid to try this beer after reading so many bad reviews of it. I imagined it as "thick" and "syrupy". Descriptions made it sound horrible. I finally read a quote of someone saying it was like "between a beer and a wine". That intrigued me because I love wine. I love blueberries. I ignored the bad reviews and took the plunge. I LOVE this beer! It is different! It does have a sweetnesss to it, but it is not the thick syrupy taste, just a light sweet flavor. It does remind me of a wine more than a beer. The flavor is pleasing, light, with a fruitiness that tastes good. Unlike most beers, it has a pretty color of what you would expect from a blueberry beverage, a definite purple. It has a two finger head that does dissipate. Although I resisted even sampling this beer, it has become my favorite! I am wondering since it actually is made from blueberry juice, if any of the healthy anthocyanins remain in the beer? If so, it would be a health beverage as well as just an enjoyable one.

4.11/5  rDev +86.8%

I guess I am the only person in the world that loves this beer. A friend of mine picked up a couple to try and I was instantly surprised by this beer. It is very sweet and smooth and refreshing. It tastes nothing like a pint of water that burnt wood chips have been steeping in like some beers, but also has the thick feel of a good craft stout. This beer to me is what a refreshing beer should taste like.

4.08/5  rDev +85.5%

4.05/5  rDev +84.1%

I liked this beer. I've been trying a lot of fruity beers, and I'll put this one right up there.

Pours with little head and no lacing. Looks like red wine. Obvious smell of berries in the nose.

Has a carbonated fruit juice feel in the mouth, with a bit of berry in the finish and a touch of bite in the aftertaste to let you know it means business with its 8.0% alchohol content.

Yeah, it's from Anheuser-Busch, but I can't wait to have another.

I guess Im in the overwhelming minority here, but oh well.

I found this to be quite different, but nonetheless, very much enjoy this beer.

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. Color is purple, with a decent head. Left a decent lacing on my glass.

I thought I was drinking a blueberry wine, if there is such a thing. However, I did taste sweet malt, that finished with a faint bit of hops, that balanced it nicely.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and would recommend giving it a try.

Cheeers!!!