1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Wild BlueWild Blue

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,136 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.33/5  rDev +55.6%

Was surprised to see this beer had such a low average rating. I thought that it was pretty good, and would have never guessed it was an AB product. The smell is good - lots of fresh, juicy, sour blueberry notes. The taste is good too - ripe, sugary blueberry with some hints of black and raspberry. The most surprising thing is how one of these can creep up on you fast. The 8% ABV is well hidden. I would definitely have this beer again.

12-28-2009 20:03:46 | More by alysmith4
Klaus

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev +55.6%

It's not the best beer I have ever had... but to me it's not terrible. I froze my glass and put frozen blueberries in it (like you would a Blueberry Ale in New England). It tasted a bit better than if you just drank it out of the bottle. The color makes this come off as a poor man's lambic. The nose is not the most pleasant (something I would expect from an A-B beer) , the taste is ok... mostly refreshing if you drink it the way I do. There is a significant aftertaste which bothers me, but hey what can you do? All in all... it's not a good beer, but not the worst. It is something I would drink in the hot summer heat.

07-03-2010 00:06:40 | More by Klaus
Baileyuk

3.3/5  rDev +54.2%

Would not have thought this was an AB beer and I feel duped although in this case happily.
Was a very unique purple color including a decent head that did fade fast. Lacing was minimal.

I was originally worried that this was off it smelled a little like on the edge wine that may be vinegaring. I almost stopped there.

I thought this beer was good, especially at first. It was very sweet and there was a lot of tartiness to it. It is sweeter than i usually like but it was for some reason acceptable. Blueberry bomb for sure.

The sugar level on this must be high and the sugars on the tongue left a below par experience for the feel of the beer.

D - I feel bad for this one but I thought it was very wasy drinking and refreshing. I put a couple back which I often do not do. I may not order this often as it is not my ideal style but I did enjoy it. For 8% it is very easy to drink.

06-05-2008 01:34:09 | More by Baileyuk
LordAdmNelson

3.3/5  rDev +54.2%

Pours a deep purple-ish color with some smallish head... nothing too great but nothing too terrible. Nose is almost all blueberries for this one, some lager-y-ness, but not much. And, at that, the blueberries are pretty nice (artificial, though). Same thing with the taste, basically an over-berried blueberry muffin. I know it's a sin, but I actually kind of enjoy this. Maybe I'm just in the mood for a fruity malt beverage. A hint of sourness too in there. Smooth, medium to light body, coating. Nice drinkability, couldn't believe that it's 8%. Worth trying if the price is right. One dimensional, not the best-made beer, but not the worst beer I've had.

04-16-2010 06:49:32 | More by LordAdmNelson
ZenAgnostic

3.3/5  rDev +54.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Three Philosophers wine glass.

Appearance - Very vivid, surreal dark neon velvet. Looks more like koolaid or sparkling grape juice than beer. High scores for just looking trippy.

Smell - Corny musk and slight dry koolaid powder smell. Very mild.

Taste - Strong alcohol throughout. Grape koolaid body with a corny, musky malt undercurrent. Sorta tastes like sparkling grape juice or wine. Sort of like a Warsteiner mixed with a bit of malt liquor and koolaid.

Mouthfeel - Slight frothiness. Sticky sweetness. No effervescence.

Overall Drinkability - If you like your cough syrup in a glass bottle, this is the way to go.

08-13-2011 22:54:56 | More by ZenAgnostic
karst

Missouri

3.28/5  rDev +53.3%

Was surprised by the wine like appearance. Little head retention - maybe due to 8% abv which I found to be totally hidden by the strong natural blueberry aroma and nearly cloying flavor. Body and mouthfeel were on the thin side in spite of the sweetness. I would have thought the dextrins may have kicked up the mouthfeel. Wondering about how the sweetness was obtained. It does dry at the end but seems like a bottle would be all that I would want for an evening.

Although I was sharing a 12 pack provided by the brewmaster, I chose not to question him about this fruit beer instead asking about 3 other craft brews - a blonde, Brewmasters "dopplebock" and my favorite their soon to be released porter.

07-16-2006 01:36:07 | More by karst
jploving

South Carolina

3.25/5  rDev +51.9%

Got to be straight up...very average beer that I absolutely adore....
We all have a "guilty pleasure"....might be "Veggie Tales" for my 12 year old, "Harry Potter" for my wife....I have a few guilty pleasure beers....this is one of them (take time to read my future reviews and you will learn I have a lot more than I should..)
No real complexity to this....lots of blue berry and lots of alcohol...take a fruit juice-add alcohol (or ferment...not sure which they did) and carbonate...most are kind of bad...but I love this....
It appears that I am in a minority- but I do feel that a lot of people do not like it simply because it is a AB product...I understand that emotion, but certainly do not agree with it...AB is the KING of beer...YOU do not have to like it...but someone-a lot of people do-think it is the best in the world...I do not agree, but...
even though Wild Blue lacks any exciting adjectives...I still like it...I am sorry I can not give it a better rating...it is just a simple tasting beer that I happen to love.
I rate it a 3

05-08-2013 01:14:46 | More by jploving
KajII

3.23/5  rDev +50.9%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

Poured a murky medium cranberry with an average sized pink frothy head that dissapated after a few minutes and had fair lacing. The aroma right away hits you with the sweet scent of blueberry’s with a mild bread malt and a sweet yeast. It tasted mildly sweet and just a tad sour with a strong blueberry presence from start to finish with the flavor lasting quite a long time. I did notice a warming sensation from the alcohol about 30 seconds after the swallow, but did not taste it at all. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and a little syrupy in texture with a lively carbonation. Overall a very sweet fruit beer and rather refreshing.

05-17-2011 17:17:05 | More by KajII
craftaholic

3.2/5  rDev +49.5%

Appearance: As the name implies I was expecting maybe a... wild and blue appearance but it pours almost a cloudy wine color with a likewise purple-esq finger length head; nothing too daunting or wild but pleasing none the less.

Smell: The smell is a pungent mix of semi-artificial raspberries and blueberries,

Taste: It's like a blueberry fruit punch which made me question: is this really a lager? Very sweet and almost feels more like a wine cooler but it was a hot day and this brew just hit the spot.

Mouthfeel: Semi-dry with a alcohol kick at the end.

Drinkability: Could easily session but hey, i love blueberries.

Overall: Going against the curve here a bit but this is my straight up opinion. Would have never known this was a AB product if it wasn't for BA. Although it doesn't hit the lager title head on its definately welcomed as it is quite tasty and smooth. Looking for a lager then look elsewhere but if you want a decent sweet blueberry beer with a moderate abv then this will be your pick.

09-06-2009 15:06:35 | More by craftaholic
Dope

3.2/5  rDev +49.5%

A: Purple pour with a small fizzy purple tinged head. Soda-like. head fades pretty quickly but with decent retention. No real lacing.

S: Sugary sweet blueberries. More like blueberry soda than anything.

T: More super sweet blueberries. Basically tastes like alcoholic blueberry soda. Or a blueberry malt beverage. Honestly it's not horrible but it's barely beer.

M: Medium bodied, simple.

O: I don't even like blueberries and this was halfway decent. It's not beer, but it's a tasty, sweet and highly alcoholic (8% ABV) treat. Gotta give it some credit. I tried to give it middling scores. It's good at what it does, but it's a poor "beer" at the same time. Hard to score it at both ends so I shot for the middle.

09-13-2013 03:39:43 | More by Dope
matty

3.15/5  rDev +47.2%

Purple colored beer with a thin rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste are both blueberry.The aftertaste of this beer reminds me of Boo Berry cereal.Overall it's decent and although I'm sure by definition this is a beer to me it's a wine cooler with a high abv.This is something that should be reviewed on wine cooler advocate.

02-08-2009 03:29:47 | More by matty
CardiacNP

Louisiana

3.14/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wild Blue from Blue Dawg brewery in NY/ InBev

Aroma sweet blueberry ver prevalent

Appearance ruby red/purple clear with a small 1 finger cranberry head. With very little lacing

Taste - sweet wine like blueberry flavor with a little tart/bitter finish and aftertaste light carbonation

Mouthfeel smooth wine like with little residual resins

Overall a nice deceptive 8.0%ABV lager If you enjoy blueberries you should give this a try. Nice after dinner desert beer

04-26-2013 00:51:16 | More by CardiacNP
rhoadsrage

3.13/5  rDev +46.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a red purple body that is dark and clear with a red/purple head that is very bright. There is a strong carbonation racing through this beer.

S- The smell of blueberries is strong as soon as I open the bottle. It has a nice fresh fruit note to it but it is very strong and dominates the smell.

T- The taste of blueberries is softer than the smell with a bit of a syrupy note and a dry Champaign finish. There is a smooth pale malt note after the berry flavor and it is followed by a light sulfur noble hop finish that is dry.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizz texture in the finish.

D- This beer has big fruit flavors but needs some malt or something to give it a balance.

07-11-2006 03:24:52 | More by rhoadsrage
erosier

Connecticut

3.13/5  rDev +46.3%

I didn't realize Anheuser-Busch until after I had one. It pours a purple, red, blue-ish color with a thin but tall pink head that has little lacing. It smells strongly of blueberry pie, not much more. The taste is a huge blueberry pie filling flavor, nothing else can be detected. The mouthfeel is good with alot of carbonation. The drinkability is good because of it's sweet flavor. It reminds me more of carbonated blueberry juice and less like a beer but it was still interesting to try. I can see this becoming a hit in the mainstream beer market because of how sweet it is.

03-09-2008 21:38:07 | More by erosier
happygnome

3.13/5  rDev +46.3%

a: pours a dark blueberry type blue color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears very fast leaving a very ultra thin ring of lace around the edge of the glass
s: is this wine or beer? smells sweet and fruity hints of vinegar no hops just sweet and fruity
t: sweet and fruity mainly blueberries no hop bitterness sour flavor other berry like flavors present
m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this isnt a very good brew but i have had worse from this style and this brewer

06-09-2008 17:39:44 | More by happygnome
CaptJackHarkness

3.13/5  rDev +46.3%

This did indeed deliver on the Blueberry!

Strange purplish liquid with a bubblegum pink non lasting head. Smell and taste are distinctly blueberry juice added to a very watered down cheap beer. Much closer to soda pop! Overall, if you REALLY love blueberry, you might like it. Watch out though, its a relatively high ABV!

09-27-2011 01:14:21 | More by CaptJackHarkness
billybob

3.1/5  rDev +44.9%

poured a dark ruby in color with a quarter inch purple head that settled to a ring on the glass with no lace. smell was pleasant with blueberry pie aromas. taste is super sweet blueberry malt and slightly alcohol with some rough edges to it. medium mouthfeel and carbonation is ok. good as a one bottle desert beer only.

03-28-2008 21:19:52 | More by billybob
confer

3.1/5  rDev +44.9%

Sorry I can't agree with the overall rating. I like the stuff, nothing I'd drink every day or even more than one in a sitting but overall easily drinkable.
The beer pours a strange shade of purple with a small purple head that fades quickly. What I expected from a blueberry beer.
The smell is faint blueberry not very strong.
The taste starts with a strong blueberry and fades into a mellow hoppy taste.
It is a fine once in a while beer.

03-03-2009 03:27:13 | More by confer
garymuchow

3.1/5  rDev +44.9%

Spouse bought a 6er and had one left, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Surprised on how reddish blue (purple) it was, with little pinkish head. Very clear.
Candied fruit that is somewhat blueberry, but also seems like grape. Kinda' like grape juice.
While I think the the fruit quality is a little overdone, I am a fan of the lager base, which I find quite appealing, for some reason. Flavor still seems too much like grape juice and that does linger some at the finish. Nice pale malt in the lager though - clean and easy drinking.
For such a small head there remains quite a bit of carbonation in the drink. Not as light as how easy the drinking would indicate.
You know I don't hate this as much as others. There are issues, but the stuff I like makes it okay. Dangerous on the easy drinking and 8% abv

09-09-2012 02:35:14 | More by garymuchow
meatmallet

3.08/5  rDev +43.9%

Purplish red with no head. Light carbonation rises from the bottom in a constant stream.

Smells like what it is blueberry beer.

Tastes like a mix between blueberry and grape juice. Reminds me more of juice than beer.

Mouthfeel is good and carbonation is just right.

Overall its not bad but I dont think I could drink more than one of these.

07-28-2008 04:46:03 | More by meatmallet
Cylinsier

3.08/5  rDev +43.9%

12 oz.

Pours clear dark purplish blue with a bit of white fizz.

Smells of sweet blueberries.

Tastes of sweet and tart blueberry and candi sugar. Some mild lagery bitterness.

Moderate to full body with light tingly carbonation.

I think there is a lot of hate on this beer because it's from AB, but for what it is it's not bad. Sweet, sugary soda-pop beer, yeah, but I enjoyed it. It's not BEER beer but it's not trying to be. I'd have this or one of its sister beers again if I wanted something sweet and sugary. Really not so bad.

06-20-2012 01:58:35 | More by Cylinsier
Bear1964

Nebraska

3.06/5  rDev +43%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Pint glass showed a juice like beverage with little head to speak of, what was there was reddish purple. The smell started out like blueberry pie but went south fast and settled as stale juice box with some chemical notes. The taste was a real surprise as it tasted pretty good for what it is, I don't care for blueberries in the first place but I wanted to keep a open mind. The berry flavor was just enough but not over the top, on the down side not much Lager came through and that results in a 8% ABV adult juice drink....still have to try the Raspberry sister beer...and I do like Raspberries...I like a little more beer with my beer but I'm glad I tried it.

04-07-2013 21:29:24 | More by Bear1964
nicholas2121

3.05/5  rDev +42.5%

Wild Blue brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an abv of 8.0.This brew pours out a dark purple color like grape juice or blueberry juice. There is no head to this brew, pink at best. I am beginning to think this this not even brew. The taste is sweet and berry. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it is not my kind brew. This brew goes down like smooth like juice. I'm impressed for it having an Abv of 8.0. This beer was different- a good pick for someone who likes blueberries .Overall I 'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5.

03-19-2014 03:42:49 | More by nicholas2121
yesyouam

3.03/5  rDev +41.6%

Wild Blue is a clear, very sparkling, magenta beer with a small, dense amethyst head. The aroma is sweet with notes of grape peel, cider, blueberry and cork. It has a medium body, papery, syrupy and a little flat. It's reasonably smooth, but the finish is rumbly. It tastes cidery and very sweet. There are notes of blueberry, concord grape and cranberry. It's pretty rough and grumbly under the sweetness. My brother told me it's something for perverts to give to young girls on the beach. I'd take this over a Bud any time.
(rated Jul 15, 2008)

12-20-2008 07:03:25 | More by yesyouam
Lucklys

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev +41.6%

Before I knew Wild Blue was made by Anheuser-Busch, I took lots of notes on it, so these are pretty much as unbiased as they can get. I was shocked to see it pour into my tumbler flashing a cranberry juice/burgundy red body with blueberry purple shadows and ruby red raspberry highlights. This was the first point where I contemplated whether or not I should pick another beer to review, but I soldiered on for the sake of saying I had tasted it. There was a slight cloudiness from the blueberry sediment (apparently they used real blueberries), otherwise it was mostly clear. A pale creamy rose-stained blushing head formed and fell very quickly with small popping soda bubbles, and it managed to reach just about 2-fingers thick before it disappeared. It left minimal tracks of lace that closely followed the liquid down the glass, but refused to stick around for long.

The nose was a ridiculously strong concoction of blueberries and sweetened cranberry juice. I could smell it the second I opened the bottle and even standing a few feet away, it was obvious what made up this fruit beer. Up close, there was a slight wine-characteristic to it, with light traces of tart hops in the background and hints of barley malt that just barely emerged as it warmed to room temperature. It was rather dry in my nose despite all of the fruitiness and it was really quite difficult to discern any other smells over the powerful blueberry. It is a blueberry beer though, so I guess it's nice that they stuck to their advertising. For once.

The taste was pretty much exactly what I expected, besides the suggestion that regardless of whether or not the blueberry flavor was slightly syrupy, it held a more "fresh blueberry" tartness than a "from concentrate" thickness. There was a definite lack of high fructose corn syrup, which I liked - though I doubt I'll ever really know if they use real blueberries like they say they do. Nestled up close to the blueberries were some cranberries and raspberries as well, but they tasted like they'd been cooked down to the bare minimum of flavors. There may have also been a few dark grapes and a very faint maltiness that lingered way underneath, but my tongue was so over-burdened with blueberries that it was hard to find anything else, much like the nose. So, obviously with all of that fruit, it was very sweet and it also managed to keep the carbonation going for most of the beer, despite the bubbles being like tiny champagne bubbles - which made the whole drink reminiscent of a fruit cider. Also, it had a very thin mouthfeel and a rather dry, crisp ending even with all of the big juicy fruit flavors, and tasted something like a slightly carbonated juice beverage that was on its way to going flat. It carried no aftertaste and in the end, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. A fruit beer like this just isn't my style, it's too sweet with not enough sour, and I'm beginning to think that even though I tried not to be a snob about it being a product from Anheuser-Busch, the knowledge (unfortunately) definitely tainted my experience.

01-17-2011 21:16:47 | More by Lucklys