Wild Blue - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2005

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wild Blue Alström Bros

2.88/5  rDev +30.3%

4.56/5  rDev +106.3%

1.25/5  rDev -43.4%

2.75/5  rDev +24.4%

1.68/5  rDev -24%

Cough syrup meets beer is the best way to describe this stuff. I was looking forward to trying this but after 3 swings I was done.

3.5/5  rDev +58.4%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a dark purple-red. Fairly hazy. Basically no head.

Smell - 4.5/5
As soon as I opened the bottle, I could smell STRONG blueberry smells. I didn't even have to put my nose near the glass. When I do take a closer smell, I smell blueberry, bubblegum, cherry. Perhaps a tiny bit of alcohol smell. While the smell is very strong, it's a nice smell

Taste - 3/5
Tastes very similar to a Founder's Rubaeus, except perhaps more blueberry tasting than raspberry tasting. For a fruit beer, it's pretty good. I think I'd still prefer a Founder's Rubaeus over this any day, but I could see this being a nice dessert beer, complementing a blueberry pie or something. I think the fruit flavor is a little too strong. It barely still tastes like beer (though if you try hard to sense it, there is still a little bit of beer taste to the brew). The thing I like about the Rubaeus is that it still tastes like beer. This, not so much

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Right when I took my first sip of this beer, I noticed the mouthfeel. The beer is crisp and the carbonation is light yet still has a nice bite. The beer is probably light to medium body.

Overall - 2.9/5
I got this beer as part of a build-your-own 6-pack, because it looked interesting. Overall, I won't say I was disappointed, as I didn't really know what to expect to begin with. But it's an OK take on a fruit beer. Probably wouldn't get again though. The fruit flavor is a little too strong, and it doesn't really taste like beer.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%