Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: bubrewer on 10-07-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale Alström Bros
1.28/5  rDev -58.7%

Even on clearance at 1.99 a sixer, this was a rip-off.

Pours with a ... ahhh, screw it. Tastes like overly sweetened carbonated seltzer water, with rancid pumpkin and a weird chemical spice aftertaste mixed it. Just awful.

Going to try to foist these off on my mother-in-law, who loves the wretched Samuel Adams Cranberry lambic for some reason.

1.7/5  rDev -45.2%

Ok I finally brokedown and bought this pumpkin ale from AB. Umm...the color was a nice orangy, the aroma was hardly there. The taste was Budweiser with the barest hint of spice.

Look don't waste your time with this beer. Go try Southern Tier Imperial Pumking ale. It's a better beer.

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

It's a baked golden-orange in the glass with a trimming of beige that leaves a decent amount of lace.
Pie crust nose with big contributions from clove, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
These four horsemen show up immediately in the mouth, riding wave after wave of fizz to assault the mouth with spice-laden, astringent mineral water. The nutmeg and allspice are particularly brash, though cinnamon is big too. Had any real malt structure been in place, the spice would have something to settle on and compliment. Here, they seem stranded and frantic. Some honey sweetness materializes as it warms, and still stays littered with spice.
The watery, fizzy, light body cannot support what's going on here. The spicing goes from peppery to bitter to astringent without anything to rein it in. It's not their fault; in a different beer they'd be right at home. Not here.

1.78/5  rDev -42.6%

This ale, or lagerale, is an orange color with a weak tan head. Smells like old stale hops, rice, grass, spices, artificial pumpkin and weak malts. More of the same in the flavor department. Quite cloying and artificial tsating. Stale as well. Thin body does not drink well.

1.81/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: golden amber ale, with a large beige foamy head.

Smell: No real smell of pumpkin or spices at all- only a little nutmeg. Can smell the alcohol the most.

Taste: Can hardly taste the pumpkin or spices at all. Tastes like the regular crap beer that Michelob usually puts out.

Mouthfeel: Can feel a bit of burn at the back of the throat, overall its pretty light, not strong or heavy.

Drinkability: I do not like the taste of this beer at all. I would not drink it again. There are way better pumpkin beers out there.

1.83/5  rDev -41%

As a lover of pumpkin brews, I was pleased to see a newcomer at Beverages & More this year. Without hesitating, I picked it up, passing over my more preferred Shipyard pumpkin ale.

It poured pale, with not much head. Smell... like not much of anything. First sip... What the hell??? It tasted to me like someone had taken a cheap-ass macro-lager and added a hint of pumpkin and spice to it.

It wasn't until coming to this site to see what other BAs thought that I saw I'd actually purchased an A-B product! Now it all makes sense!

I actually couldn't finish the first one, it was so lame. Now I understand why.

1.86/5  rDev -40%

I love Seasonal beers, especially Pumpkin ales but this beer has no right being called a "Pumpkin Ale"

Pours a copper orange color with a light head that disappears quickly.

Some spices are noticeable in the smell but no pumpkin like you'd expect.

Tastes is water down with no pumpkin flavor, it has a small spicy flavor but not the taste you'd expect from a Pumpkin ale

Terrible aftertaste that lingers in your mouth.

Too watered down and too bland to even recommend.This has no business being labeled a "Pumpkin Ale"

It just goes to show you that if you want a good craft or seasonal beer then you need to get the stuff from smaller companies or your local microbreweries because the big companies can't get it right.

1.87/5  rDev -39.7%

A. Crystal clear. Bubbly. Very light copper. Bubbly head that dissipates very quickly.

S. Has a metallic, lager scent. Hint of cinnamon.

T. For a pumpkin, it's terrible. It's a very forced spice that is more of a wird lager. Just weak. Has some caramel and very slight cinnamon taste.

1.89/5  rDev -39%

Appears a clear copper hue with a bright off white fizzy head. Aroma nice brilliant mild mix of clove/allspice/nutmeg/cinnamon no real pumpkin rind for me. Flavor is a bit much not real enjoyable or balanced, it's a straight up mix of pumpkin spice little thin malt an no pumpkin flesh to balance. This is pumpkin ale for the masses way different from the average Michelob, but still pretty horrible overall. Mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated, tickles the back of throat in the worst way. Drinkability overall sucks, this is another hard to finish beer that actually makes you want to despise a popular trendy style that doesn't have to suck.

1.93/5  rDev -37.7%

I was for one completely dissapointed with this beer I had high hopes sine the bros had good things to say. I think this beer was another failed AB attemp at making a good beer. I started with a bottle poured into a toulip glass still I got nothing from it but a tad bit of cinamon almost nothing. taste extremely carbonated did not taste any pumpkin cinamon or nutmeg. Prety much in a nutshell a clear orange colored bud light.

1.96/5  rDev -36.8%

12 oz single.

First in my Halloween pumpkin beer tasting.

Non even worth a full review. Take a Bud Light and toss some nutmeg and cinnamon in. I don't even taste any pumpkin, just some sweetness in the finish.

Its one thing for AB to attempt to broaden its horizons. Its another thing to make another crappy beer and attempt to market it as "craft".

1.98/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Clear reddish amber color, head disappeared almost instantly to a white ring around the glass

S- Faint smell of pumpkin/spice, also little metallic smelling

T- Hints of pumpkin, bready, spices

M- Light feel, heavy carbonation, watery finish

D- Easily drinkable (because it's closer to water than beer)

Truely one of the worst pumpkin beer I've had so far. It is truely lacking in every catagory. If you're just looking to get drunk on a seasonal beer w/ little taste then this one's for you.

1.98/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours a clear light copper color with an off white head, small amount of lacing as it goes down.

Smells are light. I can smell the malt, but the spices take center stage. No pumpkin or hops.

Watery mouthfeel and taste. Spices and malt. The pumpkin comes through in the taste. The spice-laden aftertaste reminds me of potpourri.

Not a fan. Watered down and artificial tasting. Still haven't had a pumpkin ale I like.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, some pumpkin, cinammon notes, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, with some pumpkin/cinammon notes, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.03/5  rDev -34.5%

A - Poured out a fizzy orange/amber color with a bubbly, off-white, two-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of corn and grain. There was also some cinamon and a little pumpkin nose.

T - It tasted of grains. There was a very faint dose of pumpkin and nutmeg. It had an ever more muted cinamon flavor.

M - It was relatively crisp and sharp. It is a light to medium-bodied.

D - Really didn't taste like pumpkin. It tasted more like an amber ale and not a very good one at that.

2.03/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearence - Poured into a pint glass that yielded a 2 finger loose head. Orange/Amber-ish in color. Very minimal lacing. Average carbonation.

Smell - Noting really, a HINT of pumpkin spice, maybe some cinnamon, and that's a big maybe.

Taste - Crap. It tasted like cheap beer that someone accidentally dropped the tiniest amount of pumpkin spice into. I couldn't really taste anything. Very Blah.

Mouthfeel - Watered down, I cant really explain it. Moderately carbonated.

Drinkability - I will never drink this beer again.

There is nothing really you can improve with this except go back and completely overhaul this beer from the ground up. I feel bad for anyone who bought this, luckily I had one offered to me and drank 1/2 of it. This has AB written all over it. I think I would have rathered Eberhard Anheuser eat pumpkin pie and then shit into my mouth.

2.05/5  rDev -33.9%

I assume that this is the same beer as Jack’s Pumpkin-Spiced Ale.

First of all, if I had known that this was an AB product, I would have ordered something else. My local pub sold this to me as a new “microbrew” and I’m still a little upset about that.

Okay, on to this waste of a review:

This beer poured a light tea color, which was virtually free of particulates, with half of an inch of stark white head that settled to about 1/8-inch of even, floating foam after about a minute. The smell is of candy sugar, hops, and pumpkin (obviously). Upon tasting, I noticed only a faint pumpkin taste with a lager-like finish. This brew had an extremely light mouth-feel, combined with weak flavor and an acidic, citric bite. I must say it was refreshing, but after being in class all day, virtually anything would have been equally pleasing.

I would not recommend this beer, especially at a craft-brew price.

2.11/5  rDev -31.9%

Pours a very clear orange/amber color. There's a ton of bubbles in it with a large foamy white head.

The aroma has some very light sweet malt and light hoppiness with only a hint of pumpkin pie spices. Pretty hard to pick up anything. Barely any aroma at all. Very bland.

Very light pumpkin pie spice up front with some sweet bready malt and light sweetness. That's about it really. The flavor is very light and bland. If the bottle didn't say pumpkin spice on it I would have never guessed.

It's very light and thin with tons of carbonation. Leaves a lingering dryness.

This is a very lackluster and disappointing beer. Flavorless and unappealing.

2.16/5  rDev -30.3%

I had this on tap in a plastic glass at an outdoor tasting event.

It was a copper color with no head. The smell and the taste were bland. I didn't really taste much pumpkin. There was some spice, but I didn't really care for it.

The mouthfeel was alright, but it wasn't very drinkable. They offered 4 oz. and 10 oz. servings a the tasting and I was glad that I chose the 4 oz. on this one. I will not drink it again.

2.18/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a clear copper color that is not very deep. Starts out with a decent head but dissipates quickly to a small ring. The smell is not much of anything at all. I can imagine some spice (allspice?) and pumpkin if I really try. The taste is not impressive either. Very thin with a pumpkin aftertaste. Not much point in drinking more than this one I am right now. Have to be better Pumpkin Ales out there.

2.19/5  rDev -29.4%

Eye: The beer is very clear, light copper/light brown in color with pale yellow highlights. I know I'm judging but it just looks like rice was a major adjunct in this beer, its just the way that it looks, that yellowish highlight reminds me of Bud. Still there is nice lacing and a creamy though small head on it. Head retention could use a little work, and maybe a little darkening of color, but other than that pretty good.

Nose: Not quite too sure what to think of this one. It really reminds me of the smell of red hots. Too much cinnamon by far. Smells more like big red gum than like a pumpkin beer much less a pumpkin beer. Nice try but maybe a little less cinnamon and a little more blending of other spices would benefit this brew.

Tongue: Again too much cinnamon, disappointing. I really didn't expect too much from A-B but still....Not really much more than that. A good try from A-B, but it just doesn't cut it in the craft beer world.

edit: Yeah, can taste the rice in here...pretty much tastes like bud light with spices.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Fuller than most A-B products in body but still light for a pumpkin ale. Just not much here at all. Thin in body for what the style should be and higher in carbonation to try to fill it out. Oh well what can you expect from them? At least they are trying. This beer is okay to drink, though I'd never buy it again, it is not really enjoyable, rather annoying...I want a pumpkin beer and all I get is big red with alcohol. Out of the big boys I prefer Blue Mood pumpkin ale to this one.

2.21/5  rDev -28.7%

So my friend went to a liquor store the other day and gave me a call. He said, "Hey! Remember that pumpkin spice beer we had a year ago we liked so much. It's here right now. Should I pick you up a 6-pack?" "Yes," I said. "Oh wait," the friend replied, "This is a Michelob product. Would you like to split the 6-pack?" "That sounds like a better idea," I concluded.

And so later I open one up and it turns out my friend had made a very sound judgement. It's not that Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale is bad, it just is very forgettable. After the curiously large amount of head, there's nothing of note about this beer. Most of this can be attributed to every aspect of the beer tasting like a watered down product of what I had had a year ago in another dimension before I had tasted the glory of craft beers.

The whole product is thin. The appearance is a little too clear. The smell is there (I believe) but it is so faint I may have just imagined it. Diddo for the taste. There's a good flavor that starts at the tip of your tongue and then stops, and by the time it goes down your throat, it more or less resembles water. And that's the problem with the mouthfeel and drinkability: it's just too thin. It goes down too easily when you expect something to arrest your senses. The whole experience of drinking this beer is too pleasant for its own good.

2.23/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance - Copper/orange in color. Clear. Tons of bubbles rising. White, fizzy, thin head that hung around for only a short minute then settled to a thin ring. A bit of lacing.

Smell - Sweet smelling malt. Cinnamon and gingerbread. Not getting a whole lot of the pumpkin. Some is there, but not much. The sweet smell is a touch overpowering to me.

Taste - A little more of the pumpkin in the taste, but it seems to be dominated by the cinnamon and ginger. Some additional spices of somekind. Maybe the clove. Just a bit too sweet for my liking. It does taste a bit artificial to me also. Adjunct I guess?

Mouthfeel - Medium/thin mouthfeel. Doesn't leave an over abundance on the palate. It is smooth, but it is also mostly watery.

Drinkability - This is a brew that I will probably never drink again. Too sweet and artificial tasting. Some may find it enjoyable, but I just don't care for it.

2.29/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Pours a clear, radiant orange-amber into a stein, with about a finger of fizzy head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Strong yeasts, cooked frozen veggies and some faint sweetness. Pumpkin spices and slight butteriness are an afterthought.

T/M: Slightly bitter, medicinal hops, a bit of bad green tea with a sharp stab of carbonation in the back of the throat, followed by some pumpkin spices which linger at the lips. Medium-bodied and too bitter to make a decent pumpkin brew.

D: Why is it so difficult to find a decent pumpkin ale? This definitely rubbed me the wrong way, as most Michelob products do.

2.29/5  rDev -26.1%

A- Received the pint with a golden light orange with a hint of brown. Kind of surprised at this to be honest. Hard pour gave a 1 1/2 finger white head that died down almost as soon as it came. Lace on this covered the glass which I also found to be interesting.

S- Strong metallic smell muted the rest of the nose I thought. Very light pumpkin smell with a distinct adjunct lager smell to it....kind of weird to be honest. Strong allspice smell kills any other spices in the nose that would have shown up.

T- I must say this is the part of the beer that I enjoyed the least. This has the distinct BMC flavor under all the spices and chemical tastes. There is a slight pumpkin taste to it along with a ton of allspice taste. Nothing really else to it.

M- Very light mouthfeel to it. Carbonation level is really high on this making it drink very fizzy. Adjunct style taste left on the tongue. Allspice aftertaste to this. Not going for this at all.

D- To be honest I would rather have something else other than this beer. It's not the worse thing I have tasted but there is so much better things to try.

Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale from Anheuser-Busch