Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 106
Reviews by Goosehunter75:
3.45/5  rDev +46.2%

Seems to have developed into the college beer/softball beer of choice for many in the area....I actually think it is pretty good for an Macro Light...Details follow...

Nose is unremarkable...typical adjunct cooked corn smell...very light smelling though....the body of this beer seems a bit bigger than most light beer...doesn't feel watery...has a nice sweet flavor...creamy texture...

While this may be overrated by some of the macro lovers, I think this underrated by a lot of Micro lovers...a billion times better than Bud Light and also better than Miller Light, Coors Light a host of others....a great lawnmower/easy drinker macro light..

Being from the midwest and a current student of the University of Minnesota, Michelob Golden Draft Light is the finest beer I have ever tasted. This is indeed the most popular beer on campus and in Minnesota. A whole state can not be wrong. Mich Gold Light is one of the most refreshing, crisp tasting beers on the market. You can drink in the boat, in the fishing shack, or at a kegger. As the Replacments (from Minneapolis) sing "All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast." No doubt they were singing about this beer. Mich Gold Light might not be a very full beer, but it sure is the best light beer on the market. I feel bad for the people who live on the coasts. It is indeed a smooth, premium beer.

This is very popular, though I don't know why. This pours very light yellow with almost no head. Taste is very watered down, with very little hops or anything else to speak of. Extremely grainy tasting, with husk notes. I have nothing good to say about this. Why is this crap so popular?

2.08/5  rDev -11.9%

Free can obtained from friend. Thanks for sample.

Poured a pale yellow color with a foamy head, leaves no lace around glass. Smell was pretty water but with hints of grain and a bit of corn. Taste emulates the smell for the most part. Light bodied, with a moderate carbonation, wasn't overcarbonated like most macros. Given a choice, I probably wouldn't have another.

1.76/5  rDev -25.4%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden with a surprisingly sustained stark white bubbly head. That said, the strange neon cast to the color is distracting.

Smell: Muted grainy malts with lots of corn. Slight hay and spice.

Taste: Very little, mostly sweet grains (corn) with a small hay-like balance. virtually no hops.

Feel: High carbonation, very light body. Too much like carbonated water.

Drinkability: Not worth it.

Fizzy and thin - not much flavor or aroma - a little bit of apple and some light grains.

1.94/5  rDev -17.8%

Remember those ribbed bottles from about a decade ago? High-larious, although I guess they saved a few bottles from being dropped.

One of the weakest 'beer'pearances I've ever seen, at least before the low calorie craze. Super light yellow, no head, lace or retention. Zilch aroma.

Taste, as you'd expect, no malt or hop quality to speak of. Nothing tastes 'bad', just nothing tastes. So it's a good palate cleanser if you think drinking water is for pussies. There's just not much to speak of here, when water is the predominant 'quality' in a beer. I've had worse, this isn't painful to drink or anything, unless you're jonesing for some beer or a buzz.

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Watered down beer. Almost seems skunky. Will only drink when it is free.

1.54/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served after a tour of the AB brewery in St. Louis MO

On Tap

A- Pours with a thick satin white head. Dissipates slowly. Color is a brassy-wheat color.

S- Smells terrible. Reeks of adjunct malt. Smells like corn-whiskey mash. Truly, honestly in the awful category.

T- Terrible again, flirts with undrinkable. Sweet mashy funk lager flavor.

M- Mouthfeel is decent for light lager, actually has a little body.

O- Terrible. 2nd worst beer I have ever had. Don't even try it for kicks.

1.97/5  rDev -16.5%

I found this lone can in my future father-in law's fridge...he doesn't drink BMC crap, so I'm assuming someone left it after a party or something. Anyway, I feel compleled to try any beer that I've never had...so here it goes.

A - Pale yellow with a flimsy white cap that disappears quickly. No lace, no love.

S - Corn husk and sugar. More assertive than most light macros, and not offensive in any way. Pretty boring though.

T - Clean cornflakes and some sugar...again, nothing offends the palate. A very clean beer. Towards the sweet-n-clean finish, a slightly soapy note comes through.

M - Crisp and clean with some foamy-ness onthe finish at the end that muddles up the feel and ruins the palate.

D - Extremely boring and nearly flavorless, this is clean and flavor-free....like sparkling water. Honestly, this ain't half bad for a light macro lager but that ain't sayin' much.

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you

2.45/5  rDev +3.8%

As far as commercial light lagers go this isn't a bad one but it is what it is. Unfortunately for me this is the wife's prefered brew so I have to drink it sometimes. I've become used to drinking this on a hot day where is more of something to keep the throat from getting dry than it is to enjoy drinkning.

On a really hot day and if it is very cold it can be tolerated and even can be refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've only had this on tap so I can't say anything about any other formats. There's nothing wrong with the flavor. It is pretty light, but that makes it really easy to drink.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some sweetness to it. Taste is also mild, a touch of sweet malts, light and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and while nothing offensive, there is nothing to separate it from other light beers.

This beer is for people who don't like good beer. This is the crap that is left in my fridge by the people I know that drink crap. I usually give it to the dog, but he doesn't like it either.

3.46/5  rDev +46.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty boring... pale straw gold with a wisp of carbonation on top.

Creamed corn, muted grassy hops, a bit stale but certainly approachable. It smells rather nice actually.

I'm pretty impressed by the amount of flavor displayed here... there's nothing very impressive but it's cornbread, dried herbs and fresh cut grass.

This is much better than I remember.

1.65/5  rDev -30.1%

in my never ending quest to try the best and worst, i stumple upon this one.

poured into my glass the lightest of pale yellow the fizzy white head quickly reaches two inches before settling back down. light touches of corn and grain are all the things you can find and they get old might, might quick. light feel, is almost absent of any kind of flavor in the finish

overall they are almost all the same and universally just ehh. ut what can you do.

3.53/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob Golden Draft Light has a thick, stark-white head, a clear straw, bubbly appearance, and a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, slightly musty grain, and the flavor is similar. The beer is quite akin to other major, mass-produced light beers. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, it’s a very good beer.

RJT

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%

12 fl oz. can, with canned on date August 16, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Another cheap adjunct riddled beer from Anheuser-Busch. Gifted to me from my neighbor. Thanks, I guess.

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

A - It pours a clear gold colored body with about a finger of fizzy white head that thins to a ring. It doesn't look horrible, but it's nothing special. 3

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap adjuncts / grains / wheat, yeasty, with some alcohol fumes & a slight sour note. 2.5

T - Taste is the same - grainy / wheaty / corny / adjuncty. A very generic "beer" sort of aftertaste; it actually reminds me a bit of Miller Lite at times. Not offensive, but there isn't much going on here. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp and clean. Exceptionally smooth and easy drinking with the low 4.10% abv. 2.5

Overall, it is what it is - another cheap inoffensive light adjunct lager. Definitely drinkable, but not unique or memorable. Would I have it again? I suppose so, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for it. Another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go!

Michelob Golden Light -----2.5/5

The head doesn't really exist and there is also no lacing. The color is golden and clear...almost like water. Smell is like urine. Taste is bad, doesn't taste anything but funky. Really carbonated and not very enjoyable. I will never have this beer again.

3.79/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12oz ice cold bottle. Clean and refreshing. Not much beer flavor. Slightly metallic. This is what I grew up on so I can't hate it. Still a good beer, goes down way to easy, could easily drink about 10

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

2.71/5  rDev +14.8%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch