2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
TeamSeinfeld

Being from the midwest and a current student of the University of Minnesota, Michelob Golden Draft Light is the finest beer I have ever tasted. This is indeed the most popular beer on campus and in Minnesota. A whole state can not be wrong. Mich Gold Light is one of the most refreshing, crisp tasting beers on the market. You can drink in the boat, in the fishing shack, or at a kegger. As the Replacments (from Minneapolis) sing "All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast." No doubt they were singing about this beer. Mich Gold Light might not be a very full beer, but it sure is the best light beer on the market. I feel bad for the people who live on the coasts. It is indeed a smooth, premium beer.

02-13-2004 02:09:59 | More by TeamSeinfeld
Aimeecakes

Best beer I've ever tasted. Actually quenches thirst and no aftertaste. Very refreshing! Light taste, not bitter or thick tasting. No "beer breath". I just love this beer. Didn't feel full either after drinking. Highly recommended unless you like thick, malty, dark beers.

12-09-2013 17:30:22 | More by Aimeecakes
skylanebeer

4.85/5  rDev +110%

Found this great beer at the tour center of AB in St Louis. I have always liked Michelob light but golden light far surpasses regular Michelob light. Only problem is that it is not sold in our market here. Might have to take a road trip north to get some of this excellent Michelob

12-23-2006 00:24:13 | More by skylanebeer
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

Sampling right now on 3/5/14. Had this one a few times before. It's a Mid-West brew and never seen it back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a lighter-yellow in color with a small fizzy white head that settles down to mostly the sides of the glass.. Not much of a aroma actually, just some grain with light hops. Carbonation is above normal but not bad. Taste was about the same but is a little on the watery side but I like this one and not a fan overall for Bud products.

03-05-2014 23:00:01 | More by BeerWithMike
pheasantpete

3.88/5  rDev +68%

This beer is light beer so I will compare it to other light beers. It does not compare to more roboust beers as it is not meant to be. The flavor was decent and it went down easy. If there was a drinkability rating it would get a 4.5. The color was as expected for its style light golden transparent. It was priced right at $3 for a 20oz draft on happy hour. The flavor was mild but still decent for its style. I did not feel like I ate a meal after a couple. If you like like light beer I would recommend trying this one.

09-19-2012 07:02:21 | More by pheasantpete
Nichts

3.63/5  rDev +57.1%

I was impressed with the beer's fruity/slightly sweet character. The smoothness of this particular beer was also very enjoyable. I found the fruit hard to narrow down, at times it seemed citrusy and others hinted of berry. Overall the fruity taste wasn't overbearing to the extreme that some other fruit beers have (which is great since this isn't really a fruit beer in the conventional sense). Would definitely drink again, even if it isn't my favorite style of beer.

11-24-2009 03:20:06 | More by Nichts
jecartier

3.6/5  rDev +55.8%

This is my favorite cheap beer. Why? Well its not particularly distinctive, but its crisp, refreshing, no off flavors, and no rot-gut. Throw it in a cooler full of ice/water, provide it to your undiscerning friends, and enjoy a sunny day on the lake. Heck, I throw a lime in it (I know, I know, I shouldn't fruit the beer and normally I don't) and its a lot cheaper than all those clear bottled "Mexican" lagers. It's an American Macro, but so what? Mich Golden Light is good for the type of beer that it is.

07-28-2009 22:33:20 | More by jecartier
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.53/5  rDev +52.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob Golden Draft Light has a thick, stark-white head, a clear straw, bubbly appearance, and a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, slightly musty grain, and the flavor is similar. The beer is quite akin to other major, mass-produced light beers. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, it’s a very good beer.

RJT

10-05-2012 20:11:45 | More by RonaldTheriot
ZAP

3.48/5  rDev +50.6%

Seems to have developed into the college beer/softball beer of choice for many in the area....I actually think it is pretty good for an Macro Light...Details follow...

Nose is unremarkable...typical adjunct cooked corn smell...very light smelling though....the body of this beer seems a bit bigger than most light beer...doesn't feel watery...has a nice sweet flavor...creamy texture...

While this may be overrated by some of the macro lovers, I think this underrated by a lot of Micro lovers...a billion times better than Bud Light and also better than Miller Light, Coors Light a host of others....a great lawnmower/easy drinker macro light..

06-09-2004 04:21:03 | More by ZAP
yamar68

3.46/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty boring... pale straw gold with a wisp of carbonation on top.

Creamed corn, muted grassy hops, a bit stale but certainly approachable. It smells rather nice actually.

I'm pretty impressed by the amount of flavor displayed here... there's nothing very impressive but it's cornbread, dried herbs and fresh cut grass.

This is much better than I remember.

03-05-2012 07:08:05 | More by yamar68
thedouger

3.45/5  rDev +49.4%

Now don't get me wrong here on the rating. I love Eastern European Ale, such as Belhaven, Stouts and New Castle and dark Mexican beers but have switched to only drinking them sometimes. Working one the low-carb diet and low cal beers to try to maintain weight. Tried all of them that I know of and Bud 55 is water tastes like it, MGD 64 is little better but not much and is somewhat drinkable. The Mich Golden Light is better than the previous 2 except Mich Ultra Light. Better taste and does not make you feel as your drinking water. That's not saying much but, remember I am comparing the Mich GL to those low-carb beers low calorie beers. In the real world of real beers it pretty much sucks too but there you go.

12-04-2010 12:46:16 | More by thedouger
ntillemans

3.43/5  rDev +48.5%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

01-09-2008 06:14:55 | More by ntillemans
jrb1001

3.3/5  rDev +42.9%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

07-24-2006 04:01:13 | More by jrb1001
mynie

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev +34.2%

This is one of the most surprising beers I've ever drank.

Dark gold with a tight head. Nothing special, but nice. Much nicer than your average macro and even a few steps above regular Michelob.

A surprisingly strong smell, very crisp malt and grain. None of the usual foul barley odor found in AB products. Tastes pretty much like it smells, not very strong, but a nice, crisp malt that leave the palette clean.

Creamy, smooth mouthfeel and it goes down perfect. This is the kind of college kid beer that I wouldn't mind actually drinking every once in a while.

12-27-2004 21:09:12 | More by mynie
1fastz28

3.05/5  rDev +32%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

03-16-2008 04:36:15 | More by 1fastz28
ryantupy

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

07-07-2006 19:23:21 | More by ryantupy
Tone

2.95/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

07-08-2009 01:16:31 | More by Tone
umustdrink

2.88/5  rDev +24.7%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

03-30-2007 02:59:13 | More by umustdrink
gmfessen

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

03-01-2007 05:04:38 | More by gmfessen
Ragingbull

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

08-02-2009 17:01:00 | More by Ragingbull
FernMaster

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

08-22-2009 05:30:21 | More by FernMaster
JackieTH

2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: Pale yellow and bubbly with a briefly appearing soapy head.

Smell: Muted grain.

Taste: Watery, with hints of grain and a muted background sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer is not offensive and you can't spend the whole day & night drinking Russian Imperial Stouts can you? Also a perfect compliment to a Bloody Mary. Very easy to drink.

09-07-2010 14:10:49 | More by JackieTH
mmva321

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

11-15-2009 05:03:43 | More by mmva321
hanco005

2.75/5  rDev +19%

I used to drink this beer quite a bit a few years ago before focusing on craft beer. My wife still likes this one a lot so I thought I should give it a review. A 12 ounce can with 21FEB06 and BF04 on the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours golden yellow with a fizzy 1 inch head that fades away quickly, very slight lacing is produced around the glass

S—corn, straw, wheat, hay, grass, slightly sour, a touch sweet as well

T—hmm, nothing really sticking out, just a blend of grains, nothing offensive at all

M—thin, pretty flat actually, light bodied

D—my tastes have changed quite a bit over the past few years…not liking this one as much as I remember…needs more flavor, just too light. Still, it could do on a hot summer day by the pool.

04-14-2006 18:40:55 | More by hanco005
Illtryit

2.75/5  rDev +19%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

05-05-2011 23:34:40 | More by Illtryit