Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

3.53/5  rDev +51.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

I'll start this review off by saying that this is the quintessential light beer. Why? It has flavor, is unoffensive, and is even a bit creamy. I'll grab a Michelob Golden Light almost any time I feel like a beer, but not a BEER beer, you know? Great with tuna sandwiches, pizza, hamburgers, casseroles, spaghetti... anything. Next to water I drink Michelob Golden Light the most, especially with meals. And after a lawn mowing session or snow scooping session? Only beer that beats that is Rolling Rock, my friends.

But alas, I must dissect one of my favorite beers...

Appearance (2.5) - Foamy white two finger head that recedes to 1 finger within a minute and then slowly eats away to a ring. The body is very clear, pale straw to almost water.

Smell (2.5) - Musty grains, sweet corn, metallic vegetable, small hint of overly ripe bananas and sliced pineapple at the end.

Taste (3.5) - A rush of corn and mild barley notes hits first, with some grassy notes and a little bit of malted banana at the end. There is a sour funk to it that the original Light does not have, however it's easy to drink.

Mouthfeel (3.75) - Super carbonated, a touch of smooth, and ends faintly semi-dry. Just right for its style.

Overall (3.58) - Again, on average I probably drink more Michelob Golden Light than any other beer from any other brewer. I buy this in the cases. It's just so easy, grab it and don't think, it's just great with anything...and flavorful, everything is just right. It is, in my opinion, the ideal light beer.

3.53/5  rDev +51.5%

This is my favorite cheap beer. Why? Well its not particularly distinctive, but its crisp, refreshing, no off flavors, and no rot-gut. Throw it in a cooler full of ice/water, provide it to your undiscerning friends, and enjoy a sunny day on the lake. Heck, I throw a lime in it (I know, I know, I shouldn't fruit the beer and normally I don't) and its a lot cheaper than all those clear bottled "Mexican" lagers. It's an American Macro, but so what? Mich Golden Light is good for the type of beer that it is.

3.46/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty boring... pale straw gold with a wisp of carbonation on top.

Creamed corn, muted grassy hops, a bit stale but certainly approachable. It smells rather nice actually.

I'm pretty impressed by the amount of flavor displayed here... there's nothing very impressive but it's cornbread, dried herbs and fresh cut grass.

This is much better than I remember.

3.45/5  rDev +48.1%

Seems to have developed into the college beer/softball beer of choice for many in the area....I actually think it is pretty good for an Macro Light...Details follow...

Nose is unremarkable...typical adjunct cooked corn smell...very light smelling though....the body of this beer seems a bit bigger than most light beer...doesn't feel watery...has a nice sweet flavor...creamy texture...

While this may be overrated by some of the macro lovers, I think this underrated by a lot of Micro lovers...a billion times better than Bud Light and also better than Miller Light, Coors Light a host of others....a great lawnmower/easy drinker macro light..

3.36/5  rDev +44.2%

Now don't get me wrong here on the rating. I love Eastern European Ale, such as Belhaven, Stouts and New Castle and dark Mexican beers but have switched to only drinking them sometimes. Working one the low-carb diet and low cal beers to try to maintain weight. Tried all of them that I know of and Bud 55 is water tastes like it, MGD 64 is little better but not much and is somewhat drinkable. The Mich Golden Light is better than the previous 2 except Mich Ultra Light. Better taste and does not make you feel as your drinking water. That's not saying much but, remember I am comparing the Mich GL to those low-carb beers low calorie beers. In the real world of real beers it pretty much sucks too but there you go.

3.33/5  rDev +42.9%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

3.3/5  rDev +41.6%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

3.24/5  rDev +39.1%

Best light beer money can buy.

3.07/5  rDev +31.8%

This is one of the most surprising beers I've ever drank.

Dark gold with a tight head. Nothing special, but nice. Much nicer than your average macro and even a few steps above regular Michelob.

A surprisingly strong smell, very crisp malt and grain. None of the usual foul barley odor found in AB products. Tastes pretty much like it smells, not very strong, but a nice, crisp malt that leave the palette clean.

Creamy, smooth mouthfeel and it goes down perfect. This is the kind of college kid beer that I wouldn't mind actually drinking every once in a while.

3.01/5  rDev +29.2%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch