Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
ntillemans

3.43/5  rDev +47.8%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

01-09-2008 06:14:55 | More by ntillemans
jrb1001

3.3/5  rDev +42.2%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

07-24-2006 04:01:13 | More by jrb1001
The-Adjunct-Hippie

South Dakota

3.21/5  rDev +38.4%

I'll start off this review by saying that I do in fact like this beer. Some hate it, and that's commendable. But for me this beer is entirely drinkable and perfect when you're not in the mood for anything particular - and I've NEVER found a time I didn't thoroughly enjoy one.

Appearance - poured out and retains almost no head or lacing. Not surprising in this category, so I don't care.

Smell - Musty grains, sweet corn, metallic vegetable, small hint of overly ripe bananas and pineapple at the end.

Taste - Corn, flavored seltzer, aftertaste of wheat. Slightly sour but not off-putting. Easy drinking.

Mouthfeel - carbonated and ends dry.

Overall - For a "light" beer, this brew is terrific. It quenches thirst like a Gatorade and gives you a crisp, refreshing, dry resolve. This beer is great on hot days and is honestly my go-to when I feel like a beer but I don't want to dive into my craft stash or crack open a full-bodied beer. It goes well with everything and I almost always have some in my fridge. If I'm out, I get more. For that reason I have to give this beer a great review. (My "overall" score has more to do with the drinkability, accessibility, and my tendency to never get sick of this beer more than it has to do with a combination of the separate categories.) This fares better in glass bottles than in cans.

Michelob Golden Light is one of those rare favorites that has nothing special and everything right at the same time.

08-07-2014 04:59:56 | More by The-Adjunct-Hippie
mynie

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

This is one of the most surprising beers I've ever drank.

Dark gold with a tight head. Nothing special, but nice. Much nicer than your average macro and even a few steps above regular Michelob.

A surprisingly strong smell, very crisp malt and grain. None of the usual foul barley odor found in AB products. Tastes pretty much like it smells, not very strong, but a nice, crisp malt that leave the palette clean.

Creamy, smooth mouthfeel and it goes down perfect. This is the kind of college kid beer that I wouldn't mind actually drinking every once in a while.

12-27-2004 21:09:12 | More by mynie
1fastz28

3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

03-16-2008 04:36:15 | More by 1fastz28

11-15-2011 18:00:08 | More by twbeecher
Kpitevl

01-01-2014 19:08:39 | More by Kpitevl
ryantupy

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

07-07-2006 19:23:21 | More by ryantupy
KC9LDB

11-21-2011 23:05:11 | More by KC9LDB
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

09-07-2012 22:38:33 | More by
benmafia17

11-18-2012 22:34:36 | More by benmafia17
Localdrinklax

Wisconsin

02-16-2012 20:56:01 | More by Localdrinklax
Tone

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

07-08-2009 01:16:31 | More by Tone
umustdrink

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

03-30-2007 02:59:13 | More by umustdrink
FernMaster

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

08-22-2009 05:30:21 | More by FernMaster
Ragingbull

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

08-02-2009 17:01:00 | More by Ragingbull
gmfessen

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

03-01-2007 05:04:38 | More by gmfessen