Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
2.68/5  rDev +15.5%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively.

2.25/5  rDev -3%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though.

1.98/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: light yellow with lots of carbonation.
Smell: smells semi sweet and bready. That's it.
Taste: sugar water and corn, yuck.
Mouthfeel: seltzer
Drinkability: I could only drink 11 or 12
Overall: if this is beer then what the hell have I been drinking?

2.53/5  rDev +9.1%

Served in 12 oz clear bottle (the ridges are kinda cool?)

A - What you would expect from a macro light lager. Light golden color. Little head.

S - Also typical of a macro light lager. Not much too it.

T - Despite its bad rap, the taste isn't all that repulsive.

M - Heavy carbonation, very light and watery.

D - Once again, a very drinkable macro light lager. Enjoying it on the other hand is a different story.

Another cheap buzz. It is what it is.

1.65/5  rDev -28.9%

Is this the same thing as what the Minnesotans call "Mic Gold Ultra"? I hope so, cause that's what was served to me this weekend and that is what I'm reviewing.

Unnaturally bright yellow beer with minimal head. Smells of corn-- a big can of creamed corn. Tastes like nothing. I'm serious, it tastes as close to water as you can get without it being water. I can't tell you more than this about the taste. Dry mouthfeel. Fairly easy to drink except it made for the worst hangover in my life.

I hope to never touch this stuff again.

1.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Not too bad for a light macro. This pours a clear yellow with the average macro head. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Nose and taste and very grainy with a bit of ricey hops. The body is also very light. Too much carbonation to enjoy. This stuff doesn't have much going on, but it is not too bad either.

2.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Clear yellow-gold, low head.

Smell: Not much there but not offensive.

Taste: Light sweetened bread.

Drinkability: More drinkable for me than Bud Light which causes an automatic hangover when I drink it.

Snuck home a can from softball, where this beer is probably a close second to Miller Lite for post-game drinking. Not too bad, but I'd rather have Miller.

1.98/5  rDev -14.7%

I found this lone can in my future father-in law's fridge...he doesn't drink BMC crap, so I'm assuming someone left it after a party or something. Anyway, I feel compleled to try any beer that I've never had...so here it goes.

A - Pale yellow with a flimsy white cap that disappears quickly. No lace, no love.

S - Corn husk and sugar. More assertive than most light macros, and not offensive in any way. Pretty boring though.

T - Clean cornflakes and some sugar...again, nothing offends the palate. A very clean beer. Towards the sweet-n-clean finish, a slightly soapy note comes through.

M - Crisp and clean with some foamy-ness onthe finish at the end that muddles up the feel and ruins the palate.

D - Extremely boring and nearly flavorless, this is clean and flavor-free....like sparkling water. Honestly, this ain't half bad for a light macro lager but that ain't sayin' much.

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Crystal clear yellow color with clean white head. Head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Looks like a typical American light beer.

S - Huh? Nothing other than some graininess.

T - Adjuncts dominate. Think it is the corn.

M/D - Overly carbonated and very thin. Drinkable beer if you are just looking to drink some beers.

3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%

Since moving to Minnesota last spring I have seen this beer everywhere. Every party, every bar, everyone's refrigerator, etc. So a week ago I discovered a 12-pack sitting on my girlfriend's floor and was informed that nobody had touched it and nobody in her house likely ever would, so I decided to at least give it a shot. I have no idea what the origins of this 12-pack are, but I suppose that doesn't matter much.

Sort of interesting 12 oz. "ribbed" can. Poured into a pint glass fairly rough to see what kind of head I get. Clear pale straw color with a with a fizzy two-fingered white head that lasts roughly a minute and a half... better retention than I was expecting, and almost no lacing. For the style I guess the appearance isn't half-bad.

Light malty aroma. A tiny hint of caramel but mostly corn. Lots of corn. Nothing else.

The flavor is about the same as the aroma for the first sip. I took a much larger swallow my second time around and all I can taste is corn. Well, I guess it's better than no flavor at all... well, that's questionable.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel, but that's about it. Watery, no body, and it feels like it's going to make me burp a lot. Typical light lager, no better, no worse. Drinkable in a desperate situation but even for the price I will never spend my own money on this beer. Let's just say if this was the last beer on earth, I'd switch to wine.

3.43/5  rDev +47.8%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

1.9/5  rDev -18.1%

Some one left this bottle orphaned in my cooler after a guy's weekend so I inherited it, along with 5 Wisconsin Capital Ambers, and one Hacker Pshorr Oktoberfest. So, it's 10 o'clock on a Saturday with a good boxing match on (Calzaghe VS Kessler) so after round one I sprinted down to the beer fridge and picked out this poor soul. A very faint aroma, some carbonation, no metalic smell to it. There's really not much to review as far as taste goes because there isn't any. If some one asked you, "How's that beer taste, I've never had it?" You'd have a hard time responding and probably would just give them one because they aren't going to really hate it or really love it and drink you out of it. After 3 rounds I gratefully went and got a Captial Amber to finally have a beer with the boxing match.

Appearance - very clear pale yellow color. Thin white head.

Smell - hint of corn, a slight smell of wheat,

Taste - Slight corn taste, with a bit of metallic tase to it.

Mouthfeel - watery with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer was crap. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

2.25/5  rDev -3%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer.

1.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Macro Smackdown XVIII is yet another contest pitting the overdog (Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch) against the underdog (Old Style Light from Pabst Brewing Company). Of course, given the fact that these are light beers, I don't expect them to have much bark or much bite. On to the show...

Medium amber, perhaps a half shade darker than OSL. The ivory colored cap is pretty impressive for the style and is a nice surprise. Not only that, but it looks like some foam will actually stick to the glass.

There isn't a bit of difference in the aromas. In fact, it's as if I'm smelling the same beer in two different glasses. Weak grain juice is about it. Maybe a whiff of noble hops, but that's probably pushing it.

Michelob Golden Draft Light is one of the least flavorful 'beers' that I've ever had. In fact, Michelob Ultra isn't too far down the scale. Light lagers are supposed to be light on flavor, but this is ridiculous. Each upending of the glass results in a mouthful of liquid that tastes like two parts sparkling water to one part macro lager. I'm sorry, but there's nothing to describe unless I start making shit up.

Although it's almost impossible to distinguish between two such watery beverages, I'm convinced that this beer's mouthfeel is at least one notch closer to water than Old Style Light's mouthfeel. Neither one seems aggressively carbonated, yet the burps are coming fast and furious. I don't really want to taste this stuff twice.

It seems to me that A-B products are only victorious in any given Macro Smackdown when they go up against Coors products. I like the corrugated-like cans that Michelob Golden Draft Light comes in, and the can's graphics are pretty cool, but the beer itself sucks like there's no tomorrow.

1.05/5  rDev -54.7%

This beer is extremely popular in Minnesota. Growing up around here, it is was by far the most common beer around. I have not been able to figure out the appeal of this beer. I have had many chances to sample it, since it is usually the free beer being provided at events.

Comes in a plastic cup, straw yellow and fizzy looking. The odor is extremely mild, almost non existent. Maybe there is a little rice or something, but nothing pleasant. The taste is what really brings this beer down. The first couple sips are bearable, but the beer just continues to get funkier and funkier. The only way to drink this beer is really fast when it is really cold. Otherwise, don't bother at all.

1.68/5  rDev -27.6%

a: pale yellow with about a eigth inch of head that dissapears fast with no lacing
s: sweet grains very little hop character deffinate presence of adjuncts
t: similar to aroma
m: light to medium bodied

overall if your going to have this beer i would suggest having it on tap, its better than the bottled version, but still nothing to seek out

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

4.85/5  rDev +109.1%

Found this great beer at the tour center of AB in St Louis. I have always liked Michelob light but golden light far surpasses regular Michelob light. Only problem is that it is not sold in our market here. Might have to take a road trip north to get some of this excellent Michelob

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%

Had this on tap at the brewery in STL.

A - Golden yellow, highly carbonated with very little head. No lacing at all.

S - Smelled of corn and that's about it.

T - Fairly typical of light lagers. Grain and a little malt . No hops and a little watery.

M - Thin and watery. Very light bodied.

D - Not a staple beer. It is drinakble and okay for the style.

2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz clear bottle

Michelob Golden Light was pale golden in color with a thin white head. The head was quick disappear, leaving very little lace. The aroma was light with a little of malt and grain. The taste was very light as well, rather crisp and about the same as the aroma with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated. The drinkability was below average. It's just another nearly tastless light lager.

The head doesn't really exist and there is also no lacing. The color is golden and clear...almost like water. Smell is like urine. Taste is bad, doesn't taste anything but funky. Really carbonated and not very enjoyable. I will never have this beer again.

3.3/5  rDev +42.2%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch