2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
JamesMN

2.38/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Transparent straw. Very light in color. Basically non-existant bright white head.

Aroma: Almost nothing. A little bit of bread.

Taste: Starts with a just a hint of pale malt but turns into corn by then end. No bitterness. Probably one of the least bitter 'pilseners' in the world. Any flavor potential this brew had was ruined by how watered down it is.

Mouthfeel: Super effervescent to the point of being annoyingly fizzy. Very thin. Above average drinkability but drinks like soda water. Basically the same experience as drinking a Coke.

Final Thoughts: While not the worst macro-lager, Michelob Golden Light is definitely low-class. It's the usual choice for frat parties and other mindless drinking activities but has absolutely no place in a now booming beer industry full of such better options.

08-06-2012 04:18:53 | More by JamesMN
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a translucent yellow with a big, foamy head. No retention or lacing. Smells like you typical AAL, except lighter, with the usual cereal grains, and a touch more corn sweetness. Tastes the same as the scent. Corn sweetness is the biggest flavor here, and helps detract from the otherwise fairly bad taste. Very light, not quite as carbonated as other cheap lagers, and easy to drink.

Overall, a regional beer that I think might have success elsewhere outside of the midwest.

07-11-2012 01:52:29 | More by boilermakerbrew
TCMike

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a pale gold, and produces a white, 1 finger head, which dissipates quickly.
The aroma is faint, and of bread.
Their is barely a noticeable taste. It is of faint bread. Medium carbonation, and light mouth-feel.
Can't believe I used to like this stuff. It's easy drinking, but why? It has no flavor.

04-18-2012 22:10:44 | More by TCMike
tone77

2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some sweetness to it. Taste is also mild, a touch of sweet malts, light and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and while nothing offensive, there is nothing to separate it from other light beers.

04-14-2012 19:04:48 | More by tone77
yamar68

3.46/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty boring... pale straw gold with a wisp of carbonation on top.

Creamed corn, muted grassy hops, a bit stale but certainly approachable. It smells rather nice actually.

I'm pretty impressed by the amount of flavor displayed here... there's nothing very impressive but it's cornbread, dried herbs and fresh cut grass.

This is much better than I remember.

03-05-2012 07:08:05 | More by yamar68
AlCaponeJunior

2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

For the style it's not bad looking, light tan with a fair head but not much lace.

Smell is subdued without a whole lot of anything specific. Grains and a tinge of lemony citrus.

Taste brings out the citrus a bit more, plenty of grass and grains, and a tinge of sweetness with a dry finish. Body is extremely light and pretty well carbonated.

It's what it is. For the style you can consume it but overall it's nothing you'd want to trade for or mention twice.

01-15-2012 02:18:20 | More by AlCaponeJunior
hardy008

1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours pale yellow with a thin white head which disappears quickly. Smells of light grain, a little bit of hops, and not much else. Taste just like it smells. Light grain, and small hop presence. Mostly tastes watered down.

Light bodied, a lot of carbonation, no real aftertaste. Nothing here which merits trying this again. I had this at a holiday get together with the relatives, and decided to try it.

01-06-2012 02:48:32 | More by hardy008
woodychandler

2.75/5  rDev +19%

I feel like getting on my knees and kowtowing to the west, to Minnesota, specifically. My dear trading partner, Chaz, has sent me some of the more seemingly elusive beers from The CANQuest (TM) and although they may not be truly enjoyable, I am having fun with each and every one of them. Rock on, brother!

From the CAN: "Smooth Tasting Premium Draft"; "A premium cold-filtered draft beer with the exceptionally smooth taste you expect from Michelob".

You CANnot expect much from this style or you will be sorely disappointed. I expect very little and so these types of beers usually live down to my expectations. I got (maybe) a finger of bone-white head from my Glug, but while I was typing, it vanished into the atmosphere. Color was a light lemon-yellow and it had the transparency of one of the slides that I plan to use on the overhead projector tomorrow. Come on, give me something to work with! Throw this dog a bone so that he may do so in return. Nose smelled like watery silage which, in case you are just tuning in, is the fermented corn cobs stored in silos for feeding pigs later on after the harvest season. It is sweetish and actually not off-putting until you smell it in glass after glass of beer. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I was beginning to doubt my objectiveness at this point. By Gar, I have reviewed this beer in one of its forms or another on a seemingly endless basis, which is why many have begun to question my sanity. Finish was equally thin and watery and I thought wistfully of the O'Doul's Amber that I had just finished, which others had dunned and I had enjoyed. I did not enjoy this. I would not waste cooler space on this. What more needs to be said?

10-16-2011 12:50:29 | More by woodychandler
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev +3%

Acquired via trade from cpolking so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, grain, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some mildly bready flavors of grain and adjuncts. Then a light malt sweetness comes in. The malt character isn’t very faint as you would expect. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there isn’t much to the beer, very mild kick, good representation of style at least, typical fizzy yellow light beer.

08-11-2011 02:35:18 | More by TheManiacalOne
Chaz

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

This one pours a brilliant, Textbook "straw" in color, topped with a shock white head (I poured the can into a large-than-average glass to allow for a nice-sized two-fingered head to develop). The head falls after a couple of minutes and leaves no real lace to speak of.

Nose offers just a hint of pale malt, some faint cracker and/or bread-like character, and a semi-sour/tangy character (somewhere between citrus zest and 'fermented fruit'). Not much going on here in the nose, at best it is inoffensive or "neutral".

There's very little flavor here. The semi-tangy character in the nose seems to dominate the latter portion of the palate, with a lightly-sweet, "malty" character driving the former. As this warms (and do yourself a favor *DON'T* let it warm!) it loses drinkability considerably, as the aforementioned tangy-sour aspect comes into full prominence. Considering the style and the beer in-total, the mouthfeel is actually better than most, and I've remarked as such on prior run-ins with this beverage. Overall this is a light, fizzy, in-offensive Barley Pop, and, as I'm often told: "You can drink a lot of 'em without them causing you to get a beer gut!".

Fact is, I'm long-since been accustomed to people (co-workers, barkeeps, random strangers) offering me this very beer for free, and I (almost) always oblige: at best it is a way to bond with the people around me while beating the heat and/or slaking a thirst, maybe even wash-down a plate of greasy appetizers. At worst, of course, Michelob Golden Draft Light is an offense to a palate which has grown accustomed to all-malt brews with complex hop profiles...

Whenever I've "enjoyed" this beer in the past there's always been something about it that I can't quite quantify, and I can only -vaguely- describe it here as being an Inverse Taste Ratio, in that for each of these I drink, the less beer I feel like drinking in any given sitting. Granted, I've had enough of these in my time (draught, cans, bottles out of the back of some geezer's trunk on the way to a show...), but for whatever reason this beer puts me off drinking! It's not as bad as "Mich Ultra", but it is almost a negative beer, making up for all the calories your get from drinking anything with more calories than Bud Heavy.

I've tasted more flavorful "Diet Beers" in my time, and I'm endlessly impressed with the popularity of this particular diet beer. To be honest, I'd only ever recommend Mich GL to people who -do not- in fact, generally enjoy the flavor profiles exhibited by textbook renditions of classic ale and lager styles.

EDIT: edited "taste" section to account for the factor of environmental temperature fluctuation: summertime in a clear glass does nothing for the flavor of this beer (I'd have been much better served by drinking it straight from the can). I'm also reminded by the annoying aftertaste that this particular beer leaves behind, which reminds me very much of the aftertaste which always made me dislike diet soda pop in general. I had to crack the nearest can of "Leinie's Original" just to get the taste out of my mouth...

07-25-2011 21:36:56 | More by Chaz
herman77

2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Clear straw yellow with a white head that dies off quickly. No lacing.

S: Sweet water and light cereal grains. Smells like a light beer.

T: Not much of a taste. A light grainy sweetness and thats about it. Nothing repulsive.

M: Thin, light, watery. Higher carbonation. No surprises here.

O: Very easy to drink. Probably the beer I've had the most out of all other BMC beers. It is refreshing.

06-10-2011 00:08:52 | More by herman77
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Remember those ribbed bottles from about a decade ago? High-larious, although I guess they saved a few bottles from being dropped.

One of the weakest 'beer'pearances I've ever seen, at least before the low calorie craze. Super light yellow, no head, lace or retention. Zilch aroma.

Taste, as you'd expect, no malt or hop quality to speak of. Nothing tastes 'bad', just nothing tastes. So it's a good palate cleanser if you think drinking water is for pussies. There's just not much to speak of here, when water is the predominant 'quality' in a beer. I've had worse, this isn't painful to drink or anything, unless you're jonesing for some beer or a buzz.

05-10-2011 17:04:50 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Illtryit

Missouri

2.75/5  rDev +19%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

05-05-2011 23:34:40 | More by Illtryit
mrseano

2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Very light straw golden color

S: Not much here. Straw, grain.

T: Refreshing but too bland. Little grain and grass.

M: Very light and watery. Felt like drinking fizzy carbonated, lightly flavored water.

O: Cheap, easy-to-consume but not fun to taste beer. Such low alcohol and taste content that it finishes quickly before you realize it. Did taste better than Bud, however, as I tasted the two alongside each other to compare.

04-18-2011 04:53:43 | More by mrseano
Wasatch

Utah

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a nice clean/clear yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, grainy, and ricy. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, with too much grains/rice. Light Body. A thirst quencher only.

04-03-2011 23:42:11 | More by Wasatch
arvjunk

1.05/5  rDev -54.5%

Appearance - poured in a pint glass, light golden yellow, thick fluffy white head. Goes away almost as fast as it came

Smell - muted, grassy, boring. Nothing special about and about what you expect

Taste - it has that weird quality that comes from the corn being a major part of the recipe. It's a little funky, kind of buttery and really weird (for me at least). There isn't anything in the taste that is appealing to me

Mouthfeel - smooth and creamy. Carbonation is prickly on the tongue

Overall - there is absolutely nothing about this beer that is enjoyable for me. I don't judge those that enjoy it, but it is not for me

04-03-2011 09:23:13 | More by arvjunk
Snow81

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you

03-19-2011 03:19:09 | More by Snow81
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

in my never ending quest to try the best and worst, i stumple upon this one.

poured into my glass the lightest of pale yellow the fizzy white head quickly reaches two inches before settling back down. light touches of corn and grain are all the things you can find and they get old might, might quick. light feel, is almost absent of any kind of flavor in the finish

overall they are almost all the same and universally just ehh. ut what can you do.

03-05-2011 18:54:24 | More by mikesgroove
ForWhatAlesYou

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Light yellow color as to be expected of this style though not as drab or depressing as some.

S: Nothing but light grain.

T: Slight banana. Non-descript grain (corn, wheat, rice). A strange tang I assume is supposed to be hops?

M: Light and refreshing. Not much to note. Medium carbonation.

D: Like most light macro-brews this drinks like unflavored mineral water. I only review it because it is technically a beer.

12-28-2010 16:59:29 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
thedouger

3.45/5  rDev +49.4%

Now don't get me wrong here on the rating. I love Eastern European Ale, such as Belhaven, Stouts and New Castle and dark Mexican beers but have switched to only drinking them sometimes. Working one the low-carb diet and low cal beers to try to maintain weight. Tried all of them that I know of and Bud 55 is water tastes like it, MGD 64 is little better but not much and is somewhat drinkable. The Mich Golden Light is better than the previous 2 except Mich Ultra Light. Better taste and does not make you feel as your drinking water. That's not saying much but, remember I am comparing the Mich GL to those low-carb beers low calorie beers. In the real world of real beers it pretty much sucks too but there you go.

12-04-2010 12:46:16 | More by thedouger
jera1350

1.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Extremely pale yellow body with a fizzy white head that shrinks down quickly.

Cheap graininess, a bit earthy and a hint of banana at the end.

The taste is so bland and watered down that it's really hard to pick out any flavor whatsoever. Light grain, little sweetness and that's about it. I've had well water with more flavor.

Thin and watered down with light bubbly carbonation that is almost fuzzy feeling.

Nothing good to be had from this one. Not worth even a try.

10-26-2010 20:52:49 | More by jera1350
drizzam

Wisconsin

Poured from the clear bottle into a clear pint glass. Bears the "Born on date" of May 18, 2010.

A - Poured a clear, very light straw in color. An aggressive pour yielded a thinnish white head. Head retention was not very good and it left very little in terms of lacing.

S - Doesn't smell particularly appealing...a little bit of weak cooked corn, not much going on here (and I had to strain to get that).

T & M - Well, it certainly feels like I'm hydrating as I drink this. I have to go back and review a macro like this every now and again to really appreciate the craft beer scene I think. Maybe a little corn, maybe a little grain, certainly a lot of water! Mouthfeel is thin and watery, highly carbonated and thus a bit abrasive.

D - The only reason I had this in my fridge was because I was entertaining a girl that can't drink the "thick and gross" craft beer I drink. I would not recommend this to anybody and feel like I've insulted my taste buds by even pouring this in my mouth. Call me a "beer snob" if you will, I just enjoy more flavorful beer.

10-03-2010 23:40:44 | More by drizzam
bsp77

1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden with a surprisingly sustained stark white bubbly head. That said, the strange neon cast to the color is distracting.

Smell: Muted grainy malts with lots of corn. Slight hay and spice.

Taste: Very little, mostly sweet grains (corn) with a small hay-like balance. virtually no hops.

Feel: High carbonation, very light body. Too much like carbonated water.

Drinkability: Not worth it.

06-29-2010 18:04:03 | More by bsp77
drabmuh

Maryland

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing is quite as much fun as drinking with your in laws and being called a snob. So I drank what they were drinking. Stupid of me but I still bet my rDev will be high on this.

Beer served in a pilsner glass. Beer is yellow and clear and forms a thin white head of small bubbles that falls away leaving no lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and steady. Looks like beer.

Aroma is flat and grainy with a strong corn element. Smells like precursor to a lot of piss or the floor of a baseball stadium bathroom, the kind where you pee on a pile of ice in the middle of a bathtub sized troth wtih 10 other guys you don't know.

Grainy, thin, slightly dry, thin, aftertaste, thin. I call these beers road sodas to encourage people to drink and drive. There's nothing to it, nothing to say. There's probably trace formaldehyde in this beer slowly giving the consumers cancer. Time for some bad beer epidemiology.

06-23-2010 18:37:38 | More by drabmuh
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

1.45/5  rDev -37.2%

Definitely wouldn't drink this again. I had this while shooting pool with a friend and I remember it was hard for me to finish which isn't normal for me and beers.

Corn-water smell, grains.

Tastes upfront like a sugary corn mixture with a clashing disaster of bitter grains and rough malt. Finishes extremely watery as the rest of the substance dissolves; kind of like a bottle of Aquafina, only less satisfying.

Mouthfeel was not impressive and was rather bitter if I remember correctly. Corny water leaving an ugly aftertaste.

This beer tastes like the kind that you always hope to avoid but inevitably experience every once in awhile. The only good thing was that there was minimal skunk. Unfortunately that doesn't redeem this beer much.

Never again, I say!