1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
bsp77

1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden with a surprisingly sustained stark white bubbly head. That said, the strange neon cast to the color is distracting.

Smell: Muted grainy malts with lots of corn. Slight hay and spice.

Taste: Very little, mostly sweet grains (corn) with a small hay-like balance. virtually no hops.

Feel: High carbonation, very light body. Too much like carbonated water.

Drinkability: Not worth it.

06-29-2010 18:04:03 | More by bsp77
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

1.45/5  rDev -37.2%

Definitely wouldn't drink this again. I had this while shooting pool with a friend and I remember it was hard for me to finish which isn't normal for me and beers.

Corn-water smell, grains.

Tastes upfront like a sugary corn mixture with a clashing disaster of bitter grains and rough malt. Finishes extremely watery as the rest of the substance dissolves; kind of like a bottle of Aquafina, only less satisfying.

Mouthfeel was not impressive and was rather bitter if I remember correctly. Corny water leaving an ugly aftertaste.

This beer tastes like the kind that you always hope to avoid but inevitably experience every once in awhile. The only good thing was that there was minimal skunk. Unfortunately that doesn't redeem this beer much.

Never again, I say!

04-16-2010 04:06:26 | More by LightEnthusiast
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

REVIEW 800!

Poured into Das Boot.

Poured very vigorously yielding about 8 fingers of creamy off white head. With all the head, it is hard not to have decent retention. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Smells of massive corn. The wide opening in the glass allows for maximum aroma. Low level of grassy hops. Do they triple hop brew this one? Maybe they should. Maybe some rice flavors.

Taste: With the heavy glass, it is pretty hard to drink out of. I get a lot of corn flavors and low level of grassy hops. These are the hops that probably get thrown out of other breweries for being too old. It is very bland.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Lots of carbonation with a light bodied. Ends very grainy and dry.

Overall, this is nothing special, but a solid go to cheap macro. Easy drinking and light as can be. I did a das boot to finish this one off. Great drinkability.

04-09-2010 02:06:32 | More by mothman
AmberMan22

1.9/5  rDev -17.7%

Had this on tap, thinking it was $1...much to my dismay that special ended 30 minutes ago.

Pours a light golden color, nice head on it.

Smell is basically non-existent...which is better than it being skunky or noticeably terrible.

Taste is fairly generic, and weak overall. Some faint hops occasionally poke through, but there really isn't a whole lot to this guy. No wonder my friends can put it away like no one's business...this is way better than Natty Light.

M & D: carbonation is way too strong, aside from that...watery thin. I guess this scores decently on drinkability because it's bound to not offend anyone's taste buds.

You might rather drink something else, but its just too boring to be that bad.

03-10-2010 15:59:30 | More by AmberMan22
Nichts

3.63/5  rDev +57.1%

I was impressed with the beer's fruity/slightly sweet character. The smoothness of this particular beer was also very enjoyable. I found the fruit hard to narrow down, at times it seemed citrusy and others hinted of berry. Overall the fruity taste wasn't overbearing to the extreme that some other fruit beers have (which is great since this isn't really a fruit beer in the conventional sense). Would definitely drink again, even if it isn't my favorite style of beer.

11-24-2009 03:20:06 | More by Nichts
mmva321

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

11-15-2009 05:03:43 | More by mmva321
FernMaster

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

08-22-2009 05:30:21 | More by FernMaster
Ragingbull

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

08-02-2009 17:01:00 | More by Ragingbull
Tone

2.95/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

07-08-2009 01:16:31 | More by Tone
LordAdmNelson

2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Golden color typical of the adjuncts. Some white head, but fades rapidly.

S- Sweet, corny, not too metallic at all, which is a nice change from other macros. Nothing special.

T- It has more flavor than other light beers, IMO. Again sweet, corn flavors dominate. Just a hint of hops in the finish (or is it my imagination?).

M- Like a soda.

D- Definitely good for a kegger or drinking games. Do I really enjoy it though? Not a ton, but a little.

06-01-2009 20:08:56 | More by LordAdmNelson
ThePeskyDingo

2.68/5  rDev +16%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively.

02-19-2009 03:39:35 | More by ThePeskyDingo
tconboy

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though.

01-20-2009 06:55:37 | More by tconboy
Mistofminn

2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

Served in 12 oz clear bottle (the ridges are kinda cool?)

A - What you would expect from a macro light lager. Light golden color. Little head.

S - Also typical of a macro light lager. Not much too it.

T - Despite its bad rap, the taste isn't all that repulsive.

M - Heavy carbonation, very light and watery.

D - Once again, a very drinkable macro light lager. Enjoying it on the other hand is a different story.

Another cheap buzz. It is what it is.

12-10-2008 04:39:12 | More by Mistofminn
KBomb

1.65/5  rDev -28.6%

Is this the same thing as what the Minnesotans call "Mic Gold Ultra"? I hope so, cause that's what was served to me this weekend and that is what I'm reviewing.

Unnaturally bright yellow beer with minimal head. Smells of corn-- a big can of creamed corn. Tastes like nothing. I'm serious, it tastes as close to water as you can get without it being water. I can't tell you more than this about the taste. Dry mouthfeel. Fairly easy to drink except it made for the worst hangover in my life.

I hope to never touch this stuff again.

11-28-2008 05:25:08 | More by KBomb
rye726

Colorado

1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Not too bad for a light macro. This pours a clear yellow with the average macro head. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Nose and taste and very grainy with a bit of ricey hops. The body is also very light. Too much carbonation to enjoy. This stuff doesn't have much going on, but it is not too bad either.

10-31-2008 06:27:11 | More by rye726
ckeegan04

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Crystal clear yellow color with clean white head. Head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Looks like a typical American light beer.

S - Huh? Nothing other than some graininess.

T - Adjuncts dominate. Think it is the corn.

M/D - Overly carbonated and very thin. Drinkable beer if you are just looking to drink some beers.

04-15-2008 18:01:46 | More by ckeegan04
HuberFan

Wisconsin

1.9/5  rDev -17.7%

Some one left this bottle orphaned in my cooler after a guy's weekend so I inherited it, along with 5 Wisconsin Capital Ambers, and one Hacker Pshorr Oktoberfest. So, it's 10 o'clock on a Saturday with a good boxing match on (Calzaghe VS Kessler) so after round one I sprinted down to the beer fridge and picked out this poor soul. A very faint aroma, some carbonation, no metalic smell to it. There's really not much to review as far as taste goes because there isn't any. If some one asked you, "How's that beer taste, I've never had it?" You'd have a hard time responding and probably would just give them one because they aren't going to really hate it or really love it and drink you out of it. After 3 rounds I gratefully went and got a Captial Amber to finally have a beer with the boxing match.

11-05-2007 22:30:48 | More by HuberFan
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

Appearance - very clear pale yellow color. Thin white head.

Smell - hint of corn, a slight smell of wheat,

Taste - Slight corn taste, with a bit of metallic tase to it.

Mouthfeel - watery with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer was crap. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

07-25-2007 22:19:39 | More by Beerbuddha
pweis909

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer.

07-17-2007 08:59:05 | More by pweis909
icemonkey908

1.05/5  rDev -54.5%

This beer is extremely popular in Minnesota. Growing up around here, it is was by far the most common beer around. I have not been able to figure out the appeal of this beer. I have had many chances to sample it, since it is usually the free beer being provided at events.

Comes in a plastic cup, straw yellow and fizzy looking. The odor is extremely mild, almost non existent. Maybe there is a little rice or something, but nothing pleasant. The taste is what really brings this beer down. The first couple sips are bearable, but the beer just continues to get funkier and funkier. The only way to drink this beer is really fast when it is really cold. Otherwise, don't bother at all.

05-28-2007 23:42:02 | More by icemonkey908
happygnome

1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

a: pale yellow with about a eigth inch of head that dissapears fast with no lacing
s: sweet grains very little hop character deffinate presence of adjuncts
t: similar to aroma
m: light to medium bodied

overall if your going to have this beer i would suggest having it on tap, its better than the bottled version, but still nothing to seek out

04-07-2007 17:31:49 | More by happygnome
gmfessen

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

03-01-2007 05:04:38 | More by gmfessen
skylanebeer

4.85/5  rDev +110%

Found this great beer at the tour center of AB in St Louis. I have always liked Michelob light but golden light far surpasses regular Michelob light. Only problem is that it is not sold in our market here. Might have to take a road trip north to get some of this excellent Michelob

12-23-2006 00:24:13 | More by skylanebeer
zeff80

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Had this on tap at the brewery in STL.

A - Golden yellow, highly carbonated with very little head. No lacing at all.

S - Smelled of corn and that's about it.

T - Fairly typical of light lagers. Grain and a little malt . No hops and a little watery.

M - Thin and watery. Very light bodied.

D - Not a staple beer. It is drinakble and okay for the style.

11-24-2006 15:44:29 | More by zeff80
afinepilsner

Iowa

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz clear bottle

Michelob Golden Light was pale golden in color with a thin white head. The head was quick disappear, leaving very little lace. The aroma was light with a little of malt and grain. The taste was very light as well, rather crisp and about the same as the aroma with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated. The drinkability was below average. It's just another nearly tastless light lager.

10-19-2006 22:36:55 | More by afinepilsner