2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
pweis909

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer.

07-17-2007 08:59:05 | More by pweis909
drizzam

Wisconsin

Poured from the clear bottle into a clear pint glass. Bears the "Born on date" of May 18, 2010.

A - Poured a clear, very light straw in color. An aggressive pour yielded a thinnish white head. Head retention was not very good and it left very little in terms of lacing.

S - Doesn't smell particularly appealing...a little bit of weak cooked corn, not much going on here (and I had to strain to get that).

T & M - Well, it certainly feels like I'm hydrating as I drink this. I have to go back and review a macro like this every now and again to really appreciate the craft beer scene I think. Maybe a little corn, maybe a little grain, certainly a lot of water! Mouthfeel is thin and watery, highly carbonated and thus a bit abrasive.

D - The only reason I had this in my fridge was because I was entertaining a girl that can't drink the "thick and gross" craft beer I drink. I would not recommend this to anybody and feel like I've insulted my taste buds by even pouring this in my mouth. Call me a "beer snob" if you will, I just enjoy more flavorful beer.

10-03-2010 23:40:44 | More by drizzam
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

Appearance - very clear pale yellow color. Thin white head.

Smell - hint of corn, a slight smell of wheat,

Taste - Slight corn taste, with a bit of metallic tase to it.

Mouthfeel - watery with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer was crap. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

07-25-2007 22:19:39 | More by Beerbuddha
BeerBob

Nebraska

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Michelob Golden Light Draft pours a light clear amber from a 12oz clear glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Head went almost to one finger with a firm pour into my 16oz beer tumbler before disappearing completely before my eyes in the time it took to type this line, about twenty seconds.

Nose is a damp astringent with the slightest hint of banana... yes, banana. I get wisps of banana and bubble gum, when I explore the outgassing of this liquid.

Palate is the sharp bight of carbonation with a backbone of hops bittering, if there is any malt or corn sweetness, it is lost amongst all the fizz from the bubbles of carbon dioxide.

There are light beers and there are light beer wannabees, Michelob Golden Light Draft fits the latter.

10-18-2005 00:14:05 | More by BeerBob
hanco005

2.75/5  rDev +19%

I used to drink this beer quite a bit a few years ago before focusing on craft beer. My wife still likes this one a lot so I thought I should give it a review. A 12 ounce can with 21FEB06 and BF04 on the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours golden yellow with a fizzy 1 inch head that fades away quickly, very slight lacing is produced around the glass

S—corn, straw, wheat, hay, grass, slightly sour, a touch sweet as well

T—hmm, nothing really sticking out, just a blend of grains, nothing offensive at all

M—thin, pretty flat actually, light bodied

D—my tastes have changed quite a bit over the past few years…not liking this one as much as I remember…needs more flavor, just too light. Still, it could do on a hot summer day by the pool.

04-14-2006 18:40:55 | More by hanco005
umustdrink

2.88/5  rDev +24.7%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

03-30-2007 02:59:13 | More by umustdrink
darklordlager

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Michelob Golden Light
A: Poured into a pint glass a lemon yellow colour with a 1/2" bright white head after a vigourous pour. Lively cabonation bubbles from the bottom as the head disintegrates. Looks very crisp, not off-putting.

S: Lightly fruity lager yeast and corn. Perhaps a bit of lighter pale malt, but that's about it.

T: Tastes liked carbonated water infused with corn-sugar extract. Odd fake-sugar sweetness upfront which morphs into the corny, excessively carbonated watery finish. Twangy/aluminium taste comes about as it warms a bit. The corn becomes increasingly grainy as it warms a bit as well. Odd mild sourness permeates the character of this beer.

M: Lively carbonation, and extremely light body.

D: Really--although perhaps as a newly initiated college student I may have thought this palatable--it is absolutely horrible. Adjuncts combined with a few other unidentified ingredients make an attempt to make this tasteless, but end up making it taste like watered-down corn and grain. Not my finest beer tasting moment.

01-24-2010 09:53:12 | More by darklordlager
Phocion

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Since moving to Minnesota last spring I have seen this beer everywhere. Every party, every bar, everyone's refrigerator, etc. So a week ago I discovered a 12-pack sitting on my girlfriend's floor and was informed that nobody had touched it and nobody in her house likely ever would, so I decided to at least give it a shot. I have no idea what the origins of this 12-pack are, but I suppose that doesn't matter much.

Sort of interesting 12 oz. "ribbed" can. Poured into a pint glass fairly rough to see what kind of head I get. Clear pale straw color with a with a fizzy two-fingered white head that lasts roughly a minute and a half... better retention than I was expecting, and almost no lacing. For the style I guess the appearance isn't half-bad.

Light malty aroma. A tiny hint of caramel but mostly corn. Lots of corn. Nothing else.

The flavor is about the same as the aroma for the first sip. I took a much larger swallow my second time around and all I can taste is corn. Well, I guess it's better than no flavor at all... well, that's questionable.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel, but that's about it. Watery, no body, and it feels like it's going to make me burp a lot. Typical light lager, no better, no worse. Drinkable in a desperate situation but even for the price I will never spend my own money on this beer. Let's just say if this was the last beer on earth, I'd switch to wine.

01-27-2008 04:05:01 | More by Phocion
ForWhatAlesYou

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Light yellow color as to be expected of this style though not as drab or depressing as some.

S: Nothing but light grain.

T: Slight banana. Non-descript grain (corn, wheat, rice). A strange tang I assume is supposed to be hops?

M: Light and refreshing. Not much to note. Medium carbonation.

D: Like most light macro-brews this drinks like unflavored mineral water. I only review it because it is technically a beer.

12-28-2010 16:59:29 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

Sampling right now on 3/5/14. Had this one a few times before. It's a Mid-West brew and never seen it back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a lighter-yellow in color with a small fizzy white head that settles down to mostly the sides of the glass.. Not much of a aroma actually, just some grain with light hops. Carbonation is above normal but not bad. Taste was about the same but is a little on the watery side but I like this one and not a fan overall for Bud products.

03-05-2014 23:00:01 | More by BeerWithMike
AmberMan22

1.9/5  rDev -17.7%

Had this on tap, thinking it was $1...much to my dismay that special ended 30 minutes ago.

Pours a light golden color, nice head on it.

Smell is basically non-existent...which is better than it being skunky or noticeably terrible.

Taste is fairly generic, and weak overall. Some faint hops occasionally poke through, but there really isn't a whole lot to this guy. No wonder my friends can put it away like no one's business...this is way better than Natty Light.

M & D: carbonation is way too strong, aside from that...watery thin. I guess this scores decently on drinkability because it's bound to not offend anyone's taste buds.

You might rather drink something else, but its just too boring to be that bad.

03-10-2010 15:59:30 | More by AmberMan22
TCMike

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a pale gold, and produces a white, 1 finger head, which dissipates quickly.
The aroma is faint, and of bread.
Their is barely a noticeable taste. It is of faint bread. Medium carbonation, and light mouth-feel.
Can't believe I used to like this stuff. It's easy drinking, but why? It has no flavor.

04-18-2012 22:10:44 | More by TCMike
ryantupy

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

07-07-2006 19:23:21 | More by ryantupy
KBomb

1.65/5  rDev -28.6%

Is this the same thing as what the Minnesotans call "Mic Gold Ultra"? I hope so, cause that's what was served to me this weekend and that is what I'm reviewing.

Unnaturally bright yellow beer with minimal head. Smells of corn-- a big can of creamed corn. Tastes like nothing. I'm serious, it tastes as close to water as you can get without it being water. I can't tell you more than this about the taste. Dry mouthfeel. Fairly easy to drink except it made for the worst hangover in my life.

I hope to never touch this stuff again.

11-28-2008 05:25:08 | More by KBomb
RushLimbmalt

All of my friends love this beer. I think they are crazy. It is a pale yellow lager with a bitter flavor and a generic macro light beer body. I only drink this beer when there is nothing else available. I should have went up to the bar and had a Summit Oktoberfest instead. What a waste of time money and liver.

11-08-2004 01:38:47 | More by RushLimbmalt
Snow81

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you

03-19-2011 03:19:09 | More by Snow81
Rifrafboy

This is very popular, though I don't know why. This pours very light yellow with almost no head. Taste is very watered down, with very little hops or anything else to speak of. Extremely grainy tasting, with husk notes. I have nothing good to say about this. Why is this crap so popular?

02-11-2003 15:54:45 | More by Rifrafboy
optiontwo

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: light yellow with lots of carbonation.
Smell: smells semi sweet and bready. That's it.
Taste: sugar water and corn, yuck.
Mouthfeel: seltzer
Drinkability: I could only drink 11 or 12
Overall: if this is beer then what the hell have I been drinking?

01-17-2009 20:23:28 | More by optiontwo
mmva321

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

11-15-2009 05:03:43 | More by mmva321
ThePeskyDingo

2.68/5  rDev +16%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively.

02-19-2009 03:39:35 | More by ThePeskyDingo
HugePlume

Washington

1.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served after a tour of the AB brewery in St. Louis MO

On Tap

A- Pours with a thick satin white head. Dissipates slowly. Color is a brassy-wheat color.

S- Smells terrible. Reeks of adjunct malt. Smells like corn-whiskey mash. Truly, honestly in the awful category.

T- Terrible again, flirts with undrinkable. Sweet mashy funk lager flavor.

M- Mouthfeel is decent for light lager, actually has a little body.

O- Terrible. 2nd worst beer I have ever had. Don't even try it for kicks.

09-27-2011 04:35:19 | More by HugePlume
fizzy

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Notice the Drinkability factor for this beer. I usually buy this when I have an obligation for somebody, either a neighbor or somebody in the shipping dept at work. The fact that west central Minnesota seems stuck on this "beer" doesn't seem to matter in the least.

I have to admit to one thing about this beer. On a very, very, hot afternoon after cutting the lawn, trimming the trees, walking the dogs, putting new plugs in the car, changing the oil in the same car, rotating the tires on the same car, taking the dogs for a walk again, moving the hoses on the garden, oh, crap, I forgot to mention pushing the trim mower all around the back yard, THIS BEER REALLY FILLS THE BILL, AND I CAN DRINK A 6er

04-02-2010 00:20:17 | More by fizzy
FernMaster

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

08-22-2009 05:30:21 | More by FernMaster
tconboy

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though.

01-20-2009 06:55:37 | More by tconboy
icemonkey908

1.05/5  rDev -54.5%

This beer is extremely popular in Minnesota. Growing up around here, it is was by far the most common beer around. I have not been able to figure out the appeal of this beer. I have had many chances to sample it, since it is usually the free beer being provided at events.

Comes in a plastic cup, straw yellow and fizzy looking. The odor is extremely mild, almost non existent. Maybe there is a little rice or something, but nothing pleasant. The taste is what really brings this beer down. The first couple sips are bearable, but the beer just continues to get funkier and funkier. The only way to drink this beer is really fast when it is really cold. Otherwise, don't bother at all.

05-28-2007 23:42:02 | More by icemonkey908