Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)

2.42/5  rDev +4.3%

For the style it's not bad looking, light tan with a fair head but not much lace.

Smell is subdued without a whole lot of anything specific. Grains and a tinge of lemony citrus.

Taste brings out the citrus a bit more, plenty of grass and grains, and a tinge of sweetness with a dry finish. Body is extremely light and pretty well carbonated.

It's what it is. For the style you can consume it but overall it's nothing you'd want to trade for or mention twice.

2.25/5  rDev -3%

1.8/5  rDev -22.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours pale yellow with a thin white head which disappears quickly. Smells of light grain, a little bit of hops, and not much else. Taste just like it smells. Light grain, and small hop presence. Mostly tastes watered down.

Light bodied, a lot of carbonation, no real aftertaste. Nothing here which merits trying this again. I had this at a holiday get together with the relatives, and decided to try it.

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

2.75/5  rDev +18.5%

I feel like getting on my knees and kowtowing to the west, to Minnesota, specifically. My dear trading partner, Chaz, has sent me some of the more seemingly elusive beers from The CANQuest (TM) and although they may not be truly enjoyable, I am having fun with each and every one of them. Rock on, brother!

From the CAN: "Smooth Tasting Premium Draft"; "A premium cold-filtered draft beer with the exceptionally smooth taste you expect from Michelob".

You CANnot expect much from this style or you will be sorely disappointed. I expect very little and so these types of beers usually live down to my expectations. I got (maybe) a finger of bone-white head from my Glug, but while I was typing, it vanished into the atmosphere. Color was a light lemon-yellow and it had the transparency of one of the slides that I plan to use on the overhead projector tomorrow. Come on, give me something to work with! Throw this dog a bone so that he may do so in return. Nose smelled like watery silage which, in case you are just tuning in, is the fermented corn cobs stored in silos for feeding pigs later on after the harvest season. It is sweetish and actually not off-putting until you smell it in glass after glass of beer. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I was beginning to doubt my objectiveness at this point. By Gar, I have reviewed this beer in one of its forms or another on a seemingly endless basis, which is why many have begun to question my sanity. Finish was equally thin and watery and I thought wistfully of the O'Doul's Amber that I had just finished, which others had dunned and I had enjoyed. I did not enjoy this. I would not waste cooler space on this. What more needs to be said?

1.55/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served after a tour of the AB brewery in St. Louis MO

On Tap

A- Pours with a thick satin white head. Dissipates slowly. Color is a brassy-wheat color.

S- Smells terrible. Reeks of adjunct malt. Smells like corn-whiskey mash. Truly, honestly in the awful category.

T- Terrible again, flirts with undrinkable. Sweet mashy funk lager flavor.

M- Mouthfeel is decent for light lager, actually has a little body.

O- Terrible. 2nd worst beer I have ever had. Don't even try it for kicks.

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Sadly this is just a terrible looking beer. Pale golden. The head was super thick but by the time I raised it to my lips it was gone.
S- Light grains and a weak lightly sweet cracker aroma.
T- The flavor is very mild. It tastes mildly crackery, lightly sweet.
M- Body isn't altogether bad compared to the alternatives in the style. More moderate carbonation than many light lager.
O- Meh. It's about on par with most light lagers. Neither better nor worse than the common conception of the style.

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Acquired via trade from cpolking so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, grain, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some mildly bready flavors of grain and adjuncts. Then a light malt sweetness comes in. The malt character isn’t very faint as you would expect. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there isn’t much to the beer, very mild kick, good representation of style at least, typical fizzy yellow light beer.

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

This one pours a brilliant, Textbook "straw" in color, topped with a shock white head (I poured the can into a large-than-average glass to allow for a nice-sized two-fingered head to develop). The head falls after a couple of minutes and leaves no real lace to speak of.

Nose offers just a hint of pale malt, some faint cracker and/or bread-like character, and a semi-sour/tangy character (somewhere between citrus zest and 'fermented fruit'). Not much going on here in the nose, at best it is inoffensive or "neutral".

There's very little flavor here. The semi-tangy character in the nose seems to dominate the latter portion of the palate, with a lightly-sweet, "malty" character driving the former. As this warms (and do yourself a favor *DON'T* let it warm!) it loses drinkability considerably, as the aforementioned tangy-sour aspect comes into full prominence. Considering the style and the beer in-total, the mouthfeel is actually better than most, and I've remarked as such on prior run-ins with this beverage. Overall this is a light, fizzy, in-offensive Barley Pop, and, as I'm often told: "You can drink a lot of 'em without them causing you to get a beer gut!".

Fact is, I'm long-since been accustomed to people (co-workers, barkeeps, random strangers) offering me this very beer for free, and I (almost) always oblige: at best it is a way to bond with the people around me while beating the heat and/or slaking a thirst, maybe even wash-down a plate of greasy appetizers. At worst, of course, Michelob Golden Draft Light is an offense to a palate which has grown accustomed to all-malt brews with complex hop profiles...

Whenever I've "enjoyed" this beer in the past there's always been something about it that I can't quite quantify, and I can only -vaguely- describe it here as being an Inverse Taste Ratio, in that for each of these I drink, the less beer I feel like drinking in any given sitting. Granted, I've had enough of these in my time (draught, cans, bottles out of the back of some geezer's trunk on the way to a show...), but for whatever reason this beer puts me off drinking! It's not as bad as "Mich Ultra", but it is almost a negative beer, making up for all the calories your get from drinking anything with more calories than Bud Heavy.

I've tasted more flavorful "Diet Beers" in my time, and I'm endlessly impressed with the popularity of this particular diet beer. To be honest, I'd only ever recommend Mich GL to people who -do not- in fact, generally enjoy the flavor profiles exhibited by textbook renditions of classic ale and lager styles.

EDIT: edited "taste" section to account for the factor of environmental temperature fluctuation: summertime in a clear glass does nothing for the flavor of this beer (I'd have been much better served by drinking it straight from the can). I'm also reminded by the annoying aftertaste that this particular beer leaves behind, which reminds me very much of the aftertaste which always made me dislike diet soda pop in general. I had to crack the nearest can of "Leinie's Original" just to get the taste out of my mouth...

2.23/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Clear straw yellow with a white head that dies off quickly. No lacing.

S: Sweet water and light cereal grains. Smells like a light beer.

T: Not much of a taste. A light grainy sweetness and thats about it. Nothing repulsive.

M: Thin, light, watery. Higher carbonation. No surprises here.

O: Very easy to drink. Probably the beer I've had the most out of all other BMC beers. It is refreshing.

1.95/5  rDev -15.9%

Remember those ribbed bottles from about a decade ago? High-larious, although I guess they saved a few bottles from being dropped.

One of the weakest 'beer'pearances I've ever seen, at least before the low calorie craze. Super light yellow, no head, lace or retention. Zilch aroma.

Taste, as you'd expect, no malt or hop quality to speak of. Nothing tastes 'bad', just nothing tastes. So it's a good palate cleanser if you think drinking water is for pussies. There's just not much to speak of here, when water is the predominant 'quality' in a beer. I've had worse, this isn't painful to drink or anything, unless you're jonesing for some beer or a buzz.

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch