Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)

Sampling right now on 3/5/14. Had this one a few times before. It's a Mid-West brew and never seen it back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a lighter-yellow in color with a small fizzy white head that settles down to mostly the sides of the glass.. Not much of a aroma actually, just some grain with light hops. Carbonation is above normal but not bad. Taste was about the same but is a little on the watery side but I like this one and not a fan overall for Bud products.

BeerWithMike, Mar 05, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +68%

This beer is light beer so I will compare it to other light beers. It does not compare to more roboust beers as it is not meant to be. The flavor was decent and it went down easy. If there was a drinkability rating it would get a 4.5. The color was as expected for its style light golden transparent. It was priced right at $3 for a 20oz draft on happy hour. The flavor was mild but still decent for its style. I did not feel like I ate a meal after a couple. If you like like light beer I would recommend trying this one.

pheasantpete, Sep 19, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +62.3%

Thejoe1027, Jun 22, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +62.3%

fisch687, Dec 15, 2013
3.64/5  rDev +57.6%

JayHesch, Sep 17, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +57.1%

I was impressed with the beer's fruity/slightly sweet character. The smoothness of this particular beer was also very enjoyable. I found the fruit hard to narrow down, at times it seemed citrusy and others hinted of berry. Overall the fruity taste wasn't overbearing to the extreme that some other fruit beers have (which is great since this isn't really a fruit beer in the conventional sense). Would definitely drink again, even if it isn't my favorite style of beer.

Nichts, Nov 24, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +55.8%

This is my favorite cheap beer. Why? Well its not particularly distinctive, but its crisp, refreshing, no off flavors, and no rot-gut. Throw it in a cooler full of ice/water, provide it to your undiscerning friends, and enjoy a sunny day on the lake. Heck, I throw a lime in it (I know, I know, I shouldn't fruit the beer and normally I don't) and its a lot cheaper than all those clear bottled "Mexican" lagers. It's an American Macro, but so what? Mich Golden Light is good for the type of beer that it is.

jecartier, Jul 28, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +52.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob Golden Draft Light has a thick, stark-white head, a clear straw, bubbly appearance, and a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, slightly musty grain, and the flavor is similar. The beer is quite akin to other major, mass-produced light beers. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, it’s a very good beer.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Oct 05, 2012

Keegan, Mar 11, 2012

sgttibbs, Jan 24, 2012

Koebele, Oct 04, 2014

Dapperticus, Jul 06, 2012

PoeppingN, Oct 24, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +50.6%

Seems to have developed into the college beer/softball beer of choice for many in the area....I actually think it is pretty good for an Macro Light...Details follow...

Nose is unremarkable...typical adjunct cooked corn smell...very light smelling though....the body of this beer seems a bit bigger than most light beer...doesn't feel watery...has a nice sweet flavor...creamy texture...

While this may be overrated by some of the macro lovers, I think this underrated by a lot of Micro lovers...a billion times better than Bud Light and also better than Miller Light, Coors Light a host of others....a great lawnmower/easy drinker macro light..

ZAP, Jun 09, 2004
3.46/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty boring... pale straw gold with a wisp of carbonation on top.

Creamed corn, muted grassy hops, a bit stale but certainly approachable. It smells rather nice actually.

I'm pretty impressed by the amount of flavor displayed here... there's nothing very impressive but it's cornbread, dried herbs and fresh cut grass.

This is much better than I remember.

yamar68, Mar 05, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +49.4%

Now don't get me wrong here on the rating. I love Eastern European Ale, such as Belhaven, Stouts and New Castle and dark Mexican beers but have switched to only drinking them sometimes. Working one the low-carb diet and low cal beers to try to maintain weight. Tried all of them that I know of and Bud 55 is water tastes like it, MGD 64 is little better but not much and is somewhat drinkable. The Mich Golden Light is better than the previous 2 except Mich Ultra Light. Better taste and does not make you feel as your drinking water. That's not saying much but, remember I am comparing the Mich GL to those low-carb beers low calorie beers. In the real world of real beers it pretty much sucks too but there you go.

thedouger, Dec 04, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +48.5%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

ntillemans, Jan 09, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +47.2%

Being from the midwest and a current student of the University of Minnesota, Michelob Golden Draft Light is the finest beer I have ever tasted. This is indeed the most popular beer on campus and in Minnesota. A whole state can not be wrong. Mich Gold Light is one of the most refreshing, crisp tasting beers on the market. You can drink in the boat, in the fishing shack, or at a kegger. As the Replacments (from Minneapolis) sing "All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast." No doubt they were singing about this beer. Mich Gold Light might not be a very full beer, but it sure is the best light beer on the market. I feel bad for the people who live on the coasts. It is indeed a smooth, premium beer.

TeamSeinfeld, Feb 13, 2004
3.38/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'll start off this review by saying that I do in fact like this beer. It's just so refreshing. Some hate it, and that's respectable, to each their own. But for me this beer is entirely drinkable and perfect when you're not in the mood for anything particular - and I've NEVER found a time I didn't enjoy one.

Appearance - poured out and retains almost no head or lacing. Not surprising in this category, so I don't care.

Smell - Musty grains, sweet corn, metallic vegetable, small hint of overly ripe bananas and pineapple at the end.

Taste - Corn, flavored seltzer, aftertaste of wheat. Slightly sour but not off-putting. Easy drinking.

Mouthfeel - carbonated and ends dry.

Overall - For a "light" beer, this brew is terrific. It quenches thirst like a Gatorade and gives you a crisp, refreshing, dry resolve. This beer is great on hot days and is honestly my go-to when I feel like a beer but I don't want to dive into my craft stash or crack open a full-bodied beer. It goes well with everything and I almost always have some in my fridge. If I'm out, I get more. For that reason I have to give this beer a great review. (My "overall" score has more to do with the drinkability, accessibility, and my tendency to never get sick of this beer more than it has to do with a combination of the separate categories.) This fares better in glass bottles than in cans.

Michelob Golden Light is one of those rare favorites that has nothing special and everything right at the same time.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 07, 2014
3.3/5  rDev +42.9%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

jrb1001, Jul 24, 2006
3.1/5  rDev +34.2%

This is one of the most surprising beers I've ever drank.

Dark gold with a tight head. Nothing special, but nice. Much nicer than your average macro and even a few steps above regular Michelob.

A surprisingly strong smell, very crisp malt and grain. None of the usual foul barley odor found in AB products. Tastes pretty much like it smells, not very strong, but a nice, crisp malt that leave the palette clean.

Creamy, smooth mouthfeel and it goes down perfect. This is the kind of college kid beer that I wouldn't mind actually drinking every once in a while.

mynie, Dec 27, 2004
3.05/5  rDev +32%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

1fastz28, Mar 16, 2008