Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 252 | Reviews: 99
2.3/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aside from the almost clear yellow color and it tasting like water I find no reason why anyone would drink this. Granted every one here in MN drinks it like water. about the only good thing i can think of about this beer is the price about $17 for a case of bottles. oh i almost forgot the cool bottle.

2.26/5  rDev -3.4%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer.

2.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though.

2.2/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.19/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Clear straw yellow with a white head that dies off quickly. No lacing.

S: Sweet water and light cereal grains. Smells like a light beer.

T: Not much of a taste. A light grainy sweetness and thats about it. Nothing repulsive.

M: Thin, light, watery. Higher carbonation. No surprises here.

O: Very easy to drink. Probably the beer I've had the most out of all other BMC beers. It is refreshing.

2.18/5  rDev -6.8%

This one pours a brilliant, Textbook "straw" in color, topped with a shock white head (I poured the can into a large-than-average glass to allow for a nice-sized two-fingered head to develop). The head falls after a couple of minutes and leaves no real lace to speak of.

Nose offers just a hint of pale malt, some faint cracker and/or bread-like character, and a semi-sour/tangy character (somewhere between citrus zest and 'fermented fruit'). Not much going on here in the nose, at best it is inoffensive or "neutral".

There's very little flavor here. The semi-tangy character in the nose seems to dominate the latter portion of the palate, with a lightly-sweet, "malty" character driving the former. As this warms (and do yourself a favor *DON'T* let it warm!) it loses drinkability considerably, as the aforementioned tangy-sour aspect comes into full prominence. Considering the style and the beer in-total, the mouthfeel is actually better than most, and I've remarked as such on prior run-ins with this beverage. Overall this is a light, fizzy, in-offensive Barley Pop, and, as I'm often told: "You can drink a lot of 'em without them causing you to get a beer gut!".

Fact is, I'm long-since been accustomed to people (co-workers, barkeeps, random strangers) offering me this very beer for free, and I (almost) always oblige: at best it is a way to bond with the people around me while beating the heat and/or slaking a thirst, maybe even wash-down a plate of greasy appetizers. At worst, of course, Michelob Golden Draft Light is an offense to a palate which has grown accustomed to all-malt brews with complex hop profiles...

Whenever I've "enjoyed" this beer in the past there's always been something about it that I can't quite quantify, and I can only -vaguely- describe it here as being an Inverse Taste Ratio, in that for each of these I drink, the less beer I feel like drinking in any given sitting. Granted, I've had enough of these in my time (draught, cans, bottles out of the back of some geezer's trunk on the way to a show...), but for whatever reason this beer puts me off drinking! It's not as bad as "Mich Ultra", but it is almost a negative beer, making up for all the calories your get from drinking anything with more calories than Bud Heavy.

I've tasted more flavorful "Diet Beers" in my time, and I'm endlessly impressed with the popularity of this particular diet beer. To be honest, I'd only ever recommend Mich GL to people who -do not- in fact, generally enjoy the flavor profiles exhibited by textbook renditions of classic ale and lager styles.

EDIT: edited "taste" section to account for the factor of environmental temperature fluctuation: summertime in a clear glass does nothing for the flavor of this beer (I'd have been much better served by drinking it straight from the can). I'm also reminded by the annoying aftertaste that this particular beer leaves behind, which reminds me very much of the aftertaste which always made me dislike diet soda pop in general. I had to crack the nearest can of "Leinie's Original" just to get the taste out of my mouth...

2.16/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a pale gold, and produces a white, 1 finger head, which dissipates quickly.
The aroma is faint, and of bread.
Their is barely a noticeable taste. It is of faint bread. Medium carbonation, and light mouth-feel.
Can't believe I used to like this stuff. It's easy drinking, but why? It has no flavor.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch